Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Legends of Second Earth: Age of Strife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Nibbles

Supernova
Chapter I:
City of Heroes​

Ten thousand soldiers of fortune stood at the base of the altar, awaiting their new-found master to come forth and speak words of ancient wisdom. Atop the altar stood two figures, one clad in spiked, gaudy armor of blue and silver, a tabard and cloak of deep, regal blue flowing about his waist, the colors of Razadon. To his right stood a heavily cloaked spectre of a man, his mask was perfectly smooth and reflected with ethereal capability. The two stood overseeing the massed army that the Avatar had gathered. But they were merely mortals, nothing more than expendable soldiers for a much greater campaign. It was the Revenants, the loyal Elite of Derileth for 1,000 years that would turn the tides of this war to come.

The crowd grew silent as the monster of a man, standing 8 feet tall with shoulders that fill doorways stepped forward. His armor all black, his helm horned and his shoulders adorned with the cloak of the Dark King himself. The monster-man spoke:

"My people," he said in the Language of old Kithenica. "Today marks the first day of a great shift in power. Many kind has only once seen an amass of soldiers such as you, and I plan to make this army ten-fold. For when this army reaches its full mass, we will have vengence!"

The crowd roared, the man's booming voice still carried among the screams of thousands of men.

"We will take down the civilizations who mock what the one true King once made for us. His vision was legendary, and those too blind to see it choose to stay in the dark, in fear that they will be illuminated to the one truth." The man spoke elegantly for a tribesman, his charisma unparalled, his energy sweeping and his intimidation bar-none. He spoke again booming throughout the cracked, dying hills of Old Kithenica. "I will show them, that even in the dark, these blind men know no saftey for the darkness is our only true ally! Tonight, we will feast... for tomorrow, we make our first move to return to our old glory. We will have glory!"

The man held his mailed fist high above his head, the mass of soldiers reflecting this motion.

"Tonight is dusk for old civilization, and tomorrow dawns our Second Ascent!" the Avatar Roared, his palms to the heavens, and his heart black as night.

======================================================

Nerys is a massive city state, buzzing with trade and activity. Thousands of people live in this one city constantly moving, constantly expanding, constantly progressing. Large pulley machines constructed large towers powered by steam. Rune infused engines powered tractors that sifted rock filled dirt to make way for new expansion. The Engineers never sleep in Nerys, making new weapons and devices to aid the armies of Falador.

Falador is a naive Empire, sheltered from the world outside their own. So few other than the soldier know how cruel the World has become during this "Age of Strife". These thousands of Nerysians are the worst when it comes to outside life. Though intelligent, most Nerysians are blind to the way world works, simply living their productive, Gods-fearing lives out as easily as they can. Being in the direct center of Falador, they rarely know conflict, though they do trade with other city-states and kingdoms quite often and see the very different lifestyles they adopt. Cynbel for example, is the kingdom of military glory and power, where as Pheobus has a mass of wizards and spellcasters, constantly advancing in the studies of magic. People of Nerys look mostly to Golem, god of Machines and metal for guidance, and only use magic for infusing runes to machines. Otherwise, Nerys is very uneasy when it comes to the controllers of magic.

Among the insanity and anarchy of the town square, five rather characterful individuals stand out among these people. All of which however completely unaware of how closely they shall be linked, and how conflicts today here on this hot summer's day in Nerys would lead to a live time's worth of adventure.

In a small village on the outskirts of Byr, the sun was slowly setting. Silently villagers wandered home from work as another pleasant day had come to an end. Many wandered into the local tavern to toast the day’s success while others returned to happy families and settled down for a well-deserved meal. However, not all of the homes that lined the streets of the village were quite as peaceful.
“Damn it father, I need to go! My job is at stake here!” Katya cried, her hands balling into fists as she watched her father shake his head. Long wisps of silver white hair slowly fell over his creased brow, the elder’s youthful looks seeming to age with worry as he watched his daughter pace angrily around the room. Alec Icestrike was an old elf, but a handsome one, his noble features were almost flawless despite his age and the stress he often felt while caring for his one remaining family member. Strong arms crossed over his broad chest and an annoyed sigh escaped him “No Katya, I won’t allow it. It’s too dangerous, if the other elves spot you we… We… Well we might as well be dead! They will not rest until they slaughter the last of our family! They think we are traitors! I won’t let them take you!” Alec argued then turned away. A pained expression crossed his face, he pressed a hand to his brow and shook his head “No, I won’t allow it, they’ll catch you!” An aggravated growl sounded from the younger elf, her hands running through her hair in a vain attempt to calm herself down.
“They won’t catch me! They won’t even see me! I’ll wear my hood and stick to the shadows. You know how good I am and I can handle it!” Katya pleaded, her hands pressed together as she begged. Her father remained silent, sitting down at the dining table he looked away as Katya dropped to her knees beside him, resting her head on his leg she silently brooded.

Her father was protective of her, she understood why, but he never let her leave his side or the safety of their home alone. She never got to do anything on her own and it annoyed her, he made her feel like a youngling all over again. A warm hand came to rest on the back of her head and Katya closed her eyes. It had always been like this, ever since they had fled from the forests of Kithenica, from the other elves. They were traitors, thrown into exile and from that Alec had become over protective, fearful that they would be discovered and killed. “I’m sorry, Katya, I can’t risk it. You are all I have in this world and I don’t want to lose you” Alec smiled softly, his hand moving from the back of her head he gently gripped her chin between his thumb and forefinger and tilted her head up to look at him. Closing her eyes Katya nodded “I know father, but it will only be for a few days, a week at most. Mr. Thatcher is depending on me, I could lose my job and we’d be far worse off than we are now. I will blend in and be out of the city before anyone can pick me out from the crowd, I’ll come back, I promise” Katya began to plead again, her teeth grazing over her bottom lip as she waited for his response. Alec grimaced and ran a hand over his face, he knew she was strong, knew she was fast and above all capable, but as a father he couldn’t help but worry. A sigh sounded from him and Katya shot up into the air, he had given in and she couldn’t contain her joy. “Alright! That’s enough Katya!” Her father growled as he watched her with an amused, but annoyed glare, baffled by how quickly she had thrown her things together and was ready to go. “Stick to the shadows, kill anyone who asks questions and above all…” The elder stood up and pulled the young girl into his arms, holding her tight as he whispered into her ear “Come home”.

Alec’s words echoed through her mind as she walked along the cobble path through the city of Nerys. Her hood drawn over her head, the young elf made sure to stick to the shadows as promised, but her excitement to be out on her own quickly got the better of her. Looking up at the tall buildings and structures, she stood out like a sore thumb, her mouth open as she gasped in wonder. A sweet smile pulled at her lips and Katya quickly hurried on her way, clutching the package close to her chest she almost skipped along, narrowly avoiding other pedestrians and travellers. The city was magnificent, she had never seen anything like it since their old home in Aesic, but that was so long ago, it would barely compare to Nerys now. Not since Derileth gained control and it became part of the Wastelands. Quickly the young elf withdrew a piece of crumpled parchment from the inside of her cloak and read the address, her eyes squinting to see any sign of her destination, but it was hopeless. Katya was officially lost.

Five days prior......

Darian walked through some woods just outside along the border of the Wasteland, his Crossbolt Gun strapped across his back, a simple kerchief covering his mouth and his goggles hiding the deep blue hues. Hanging from the waist belt was a sizable object wrapped in cloth, the bottom of which was stained a dark foreboding red. His travel continued until he reached a seemingly impassable wall of black granite. He looked around and then checked behind him once again to make sure he wasn't followed; he'd had to do this several times already, and while he wasn't the best at stealth, his having to hunt to provide for his former family had taught him much on how to stalk and kill prey.

"Seems clear" the lad thought to himself; he then silently muttered "Sron dai vahn, Arcereus" as had become custom for him. A small wavering tune was heard, a customary sign that the strange phrase had been received. But for a small while, nothing happened; Darian looked around again and was about to speak the phrase again before suddenly a grey-haired Dark Elf appeared next to him. The humanoid was clothed in almost exactly the same clothing as Darian, except he wore no goggles and his right sleeve had been cut away to allow for a blade weapon to be attached. In his right hand he held a dead goblin’s head. “Still so sloppy, Darian…You’re lucky I do a secondary sweep; why Talon Company let a dirt-tiller like you into its ranks I’ll never understand” the Elf commented as it peered into the eyes of the dead halfling; the human grimaced a bit, but held his tongue from any foul words and replied, “Sorry…Won’t happen again, Arcereus”. At this, the Elf cracked a grin and said, “You’re getting wiser though, I’ll give you that. And truthfully, you’re a helluva lot better than most mercs in our chapter. Ol’ John almost got himself caught about three times last week”. This always confused Darian; why would Arcereus bother insulting him and then compliment him shortly afterward? “Now come on; don’t want to keep Boss waiting, do ya?” Arcereus continued on casually; the Elf then traced an eagle’s foot into the air, strange light appearing where his finger had been before the finished insignia sank into the rock.

A small rumbling was heard before a tunnel opened up in the black stone; Arcereus stepped to the side, giving a mock gentleman’s bow and saying, “Ladies first”. Darian just snorted derisively and walked in, the tunnel entrance closing up as the Elf followed behind him. The tunnel itself was about ten feet high and wide enough for two to walk side by side relatively comfortably; though someone like a Minotaur or Half-Orc would probably feel a bit confined. As their little traversal through the stony passage continued on, torches flared up of their own free will to light the way. Soon, voices could be heard; truth be told, it was one voice, and it was easily distinguishable: Boss was chewing out someone again. It was often considered a quiet day if Boss didn’t yell at someone at least ten times; Arcereus caught up to Darian and whispered, “Bet you five gold pieces it’s John again” to which Darian replied “You’re on”. As they went through a wooden door, they found themselves in a rather spacious room and strangely enough, it wasn’t John that was getting chewed out, but a recruit that had just joined up. The boy couldn’t have been older than sixteen, but right now he looked like he was going to wet himself; and when dealing with someone like Boss, only a few weren’t afraid of him and for good reason. The man’s strange bright gold hues bored into the young recruit’s, a glare that many rumored would freeze even the Dark King in his place; and that was all he was doing right now: Glaring. “Looks like you lose” Darian whispered smugly; the Elf grumbled and dropped five gold into Darian’s outstretched hand. “Ah, cheer up; you always like seeing the recruits piss themselves” the human merc muttered; Arcereus smirked slyly and said, “Heh, guess you’re right”.

The recruit tried to open his mouth to speak, but Boss – an intimidating man of nearly six feet height and packed with muscle that was outlined in the reinforced Talon Commander armor, his shaved hair and goatee red as blood – shut up him by shouting, “You think you have a right to speak?! Be lucky I don’t kill you right here and now! And I assure you, the next time some pansy little dwarves make you run off, I’m putting a bullet in your head! Now scram!” The kid was more than happy to oblige, and took off like a Frost Elf from an inferno; this earned a hearty collective chuckle from the other mercs – composed of humans, Dark Elves, and a young Minotaur – before dying down. Boss just sat down in his chair and pinched the bridge of his nose, grumbling “Damned kids…Don’t know shit”. At this, Darian gave a small cough to announce his presence. Boss looked up and said, his expression brightening a little, “Hey, there’s my number one and five!” Of course Darian was the number five; Boss kept a list of those that did good for Talon Company and their image, and Arcereus was at the top. ”Darian….” He paused to rub his hands together, “Tell me you got something good. After Nicholas’ fuck-up, we need something to restore confidence in our customers”. Darian grinned and dropped the bloody package on Boss’ desk; the Talon Company leader untied the cloth to reveal a Dwarven head; it looked more like Darian had chopped the head off a statue, but only because a Dwarf’s flesh was as solid as the stone they worked with. “Hehehahaha, you fucking got ‘im? No way” Boss stated with obvious glee as he held up the head, “I finally have you. Nothing to say, Lieutenant Igeer, you snarky fucking bastard? Twenty of my hunters you killed, and now…You’re hunted. Not so fun when you’re the prey, is it?”

Darian gave another small cough, making Boss snap out of his little triumphant moment. “Oh right…Here’s your pay” he stated as another merc dropped a weighty bag of coins on the table; in it was about ten platinum coins, fifteen gold coins, eight silver coins and thirty bronze coins. “Boss….Remember? Information?” Darian then asked as he scooped his payment, to which Boss replied, “Sorry, nothing new….What about that lead in Norr? Didn’t that turn up anything?” Darian shook his head, “Nothing useful; all the guy said was that the last he saw, the group holding her were headed east”. Boss nodded, “Well, I wish I could tell you more, Darian, but he was all I had for now”. Darian couldn’t believe his luck; his fist clenched as he thought of whatever cruel torture she was being put through. And all he could do was rely on hearsay to try and find her. Taking a deep breath, Darian then added, “So….What’s next?” Boss coughed and said, “One of our more…loyal customers has been having trouble with imps raiding his caravans. Says the same thing every time: A small band of six. Never kills the guards or driver, just knocks them out and helps themselves to the cargo. He and I talked, and he’s sending out a decoy caravan in a few days”. Boss then snapped his fingers and another of his lackies laid a map out on the table, tracing his left pointer finger along a red line, “This is the path it will take. He wants you to kill the bastards. Now I ain’t asking you to carry six heads back; just a finger will do. But don’t come back until you got all six of the little bastards. This” Boss paused to point to an X on the map before continuing, “is a good spot to watch the caravan from. Nice field of view and with your aim, you might be able to get all six there. I’m expecting you’ll be out for a while, so just report back whenever you’re done. You’ll meet the contact in Nerys for your payment”. After studying the map, Darian realized just how far into the Wasteland this overwatch point was; that was going to be one hell of a hike. Luckily, he still had three syringes of his heart medication, so he should be alright. “I assume this is the part where you tell me to…” “Get the fuck out? You got it” Boss finished for him, to which Darian gave a curt nod and after placing the goggles back over his eyes, made his exit for his next assignment.

Present day......

Darian had a good run; the overwatch point suggested allowed him to pick off about five of the twitchy bastards before the sixth bolted. A string containing five severed index fingers hung at his waist, and now…It was a game of cat and mouse to add the sixth to the lot. Unfortunately, imps were a fair bit quicker than humans. Well, perhaps quicker wasn’t the word, but they were definitely a sight more agile and with their small stature could hide easily. He did have one thing going for him, though: Imps were often only confident in groups. Get one by itself and it’s a right little coward. For two days, Darian pursued this one imp, trying to keep on its tail, not knowing that it was taking him towards yet another strange turn in his life. On and on he pushed, eventually passing beyond the border to Nerys itself; Darian probably wouldn’t know where he was, as he’d never been here before and only heard it mentioned a few times. Even though he didn’t pay much attention; he has his own goals and sightseeing in cities wasn’t one of them. But even he was a bit shocked when arrived to see such massive structures; men really built these things? How long did it take, he wondered? A small squeak was heard, snapping him out of his thoughts; he peered to his left to see the imp looking at him from around a corner. “Hey!” Darian shouted as he gave chase; unfortunately, the imp would disappear right into a thick crowd of people in the plaza. He needed to get to higher ground. “Damn it” he cursed as he scanned for a way to get up high; he eventually spotted some crates to his left, which lead up a smaller rooftop. Sprinting over there, he made his way up and to his surprise found that there were more rooftops of the same height; he could use those to scan the crowds and pick out his target.

Six times he had to jump over the narrow gaps in between the buildings, but eventually he had a good enough vantage point to see nearly everyone in the plaza. ”So many people…Need to be careful” Darian thought to himself; Boss wasn’t overly concerned with collateral damage, but Darian always tried his best not to hit innocent bystanders. Taking the Crossbolt from over his shoulder, he fuddled with the various lenses that made up the sight until it gave him the proper magnification. “Alright, now where are you, you twitchy little shit…” the merc muttered as he scanned the crowd; he just hoped the bastard wouldn’t be too hard to find. After about ten minutes of scanning, Darian finally saw the imp; the little guy was moving slowly and deliberately, looking over his shoulder to see if the human was still pursuing him. Darian just watched, a little grin crossing his face as he saw the obvious fear. A solid steel arrow - he could have used a balanced bolt to pick him off, but it ran the risk of piercing multiple targets – was drawn from the quiver slung over his left shoulder and placed into one of the six barrels of the weapon. The string was drawn back until a click was heard; two turns of the induction rotor would give it the necessary range and penetration power, and now Darian was ready for the kill. His scope followed the target and even when he lost it, the people jumping aside and shooing him off served as markers for the imp’s progress. Eventually, the halfling reached a thin patch of people just before he would move out of Darian’s view; he needed to kill it now. Unfortunately he wouldn’t get the chance; the crowd quickly grew too thick and he couldn’t get a clear shot, so he powered down his gun and pursued him again.

Moving across the rooftops again, he found the imp again; taking a few steps back, Darian gave a running leap and jumped from the roof, his relatively heavier form colliding with the imp’s and causing them roll about, each struggling to get the upper hand in the fight. “Come on, you….” Darian growled, trying to pin the imp so he could snap its neck or something; the halfling then bit his hand, forcing him to release his grip and allowing it to take off. Darian cursed and followed down an abandoned alleyway; small metal bins for garbage lined the deserted passage. “Fucking hell…Where’d he go?” the merc grumbled; a small clang was heard to his right. Darian cocked his head and moved closer; he could hear whimpering. A familiar whimpering coming out of the bin farthest away; Darian pulled back the lid and found the imp in question. Unholstering his pistol, Darian cocked the hammer and after saying, “How fitting”, placed the gun in the crack between the lid and bin and fired twice; looking back inside, he saw the imp dead, blood leaking from the wounds in its chest. He then reached in and severed the final index finger, threading it onto the string where his other trophies were; the lid was then placed back over the bin, leaving the body where it belonged: In the trash. A short while later, Darian met up with the man behind the request; a rather wealthy caravan company owner, he was apparently responsible for over half of the commerce between the various cities, towns and settlements in the Wasteland. After a few words of thanks and pleasantries, Darian left six fingers poorer and a healthy sum of coins richer. He then thought of something; this town was huge. And it was in the eastern direction. Maybe he could find some information about his mother. See if anyone saw her or perhaps the people that held her.

It had been another successful venture for Borkul, the Half Orc almost grinning as he sat with a few others in a caravan to Nerys. His travels had brought him to West Rhiannon, the poorer the Rhiannon city-states. Hell even poorer then poor, what had once been a lavish and amazing place had been corrupted and desecrated to what it was today.. The slums. However in the slums there always seemed to be a good amount of work for anyone willing to venture into the The Wastelands, and it was Borkul how was recruited to, shall we say, remove a growing band of raiders that was starting to become an issue on the border of The Wastelands. So, a days hard work and a few bloody fights later Borkul would be paid his dues and off to Nerys. Seeing how it had been a month since the last time he had been there, the necessary repairs were needed for his equipment.

Once arriving in Nerys, Borkul would pay the merchants that gave him a ride from West Rhiannon and would show up to pretty much the only blacksmith in town that he trusted. A Dark Elf that went by the name of Jaen. His shop being open way before Borkul had ever visited Nerys. Exchanging a banter and greeting of “What is an piece of orc filth like you doing here?” and “I thought an old dried up dark elf would of killed over by now” the two would laugh and shake hands before Borkul would remove his plated belt. Taking the two closed off pouches as well as a leather pouch so Jaen could get to work on repairing his armor.

“So tell me Halfie, what's the latest adventure you been on?” Jaen asked, quick to expand Borkul's armor before inspecting every plate and joint. “Nothing to dangerous, I dealt with some raiders off in The Wastelands near West Rhiannon's border. I don't remember The Wastelands being so barren and dead.” Borkul said as he untied the sheath that was fastened over his chest, pulling his cleaver out to inspect it before putting it aside for Jaen to pick up. “The Wastelands is nothing but waste now Halfie... No idea why your kind chooses to live there!” Jaen spat out, rigging the armor up to his anvil before grabbing his hammer to start and work out some dents. “Yeah, just like I have no idea why you stay here in Nerys you old bastard!” Borkul spat back, walking trough Jaen's workshop to a door that had more shall we say questionable items in it. The two closed off pouches in the Half Orc's hands as he opened the door and went in.

“HEY! Don't you fucking take my top shelf goods!” Jaen shouted, bringing his hammer down and actually denting Borkul's armor. “Shit!” Jaen shouted, quick to smack it a few times before moving on. “Yeah yeah yeah..” Borkul rolled his eyes, going in to refill the few things he needed in cause brute force wasn't needed. Simple vanishing dust, smoke bombs, blinding powder. Quick devices and things he could use to deceive and get the upper hand. Coming out of the supply room he would shut the door behind himself, the two pouches filled and closed off once more before Borkul went to sit down and wait. Jaen making sure to not only repair the heavy armor set of his belt but the light armor set as well before moving on to his cleaver to sharpen and re-strap the handle.

“Don't show your ugly face around here for another month you hear me!?” Jaen stated, laughing as Borkul put his belt and sheath back on, sliding his sword into the sheath before reattaching the pouches, a rather nice lump of gold crowns sitting on Jaen's table as Borkul waved the Dark Elf off. “Don't forget these!” Jaen shouted out to Borkul, coming out of his shop with another pouch, the contents being a good five or six rune stones that were fully charged. “Thanks old man. See you around.” Borkul said before leaving. With that Borkul was pretty much done with work related matters, standing there in his usual attire of a black sleeveless shirt and brown pants the Half Orc would see the long streets lined with merchants and booths trying to sell their own goods and inventions. Borkul always liked perusing the booths, sometimes you found an amazing invention or device, most of the time you ended up with a shitty piece of metal that stopped working after the first try. Whatever the case may be Borkul was always willing to give the Nerys trade market one good look through a month. The Half Orc's boots already leading him into the thick of the crowds.

Coming into Nerys, Nathan felt like a fresh newborn coming into the world of adults. His mind was fresh, naive, and unknowing. He had been literally living underground with the dwarves...and did not understand the world around him. He seemed to be looking for fresh ideas, new places, and just something to keep him going. He hated living with the dwarves. It always made him feel...in the dark when it came to recent events. He only knew digging and machinery, and that was not what he wanted to do for a living. Now after a week, he finally arrived in Nerys, his first city to arrive in. It was the first time he saw so many humans and other species walking about, and his eyes were wide the entire time as he walked about the city, not knowing of common street rules when it came to ruffians and thugs. Which was where he got into this mess in the first place.

Hanging upside-down against a wall, legs tied together with the other end tied to his shovel and using it to jam between some bars of an upper balcony, Nathan simply crosses his arms as he swings from side to side casually, annoyed that he had gotten beaten up for a small mistake. So what if he accidentally broke a guy's arm for trying to steal from him? So what if he took his shovel and slashed the man's neck as soon as he drew his own dagger. He didn't die! Immediately anyway. So that was reason enough to have three other guys who were apparently his friends come over and rough up Nathan and leave him to hang and die slowly? Ha, how stupid they were to think he was as easily killable from such a thing as hanging upside for hours on end!

He sighed, and wasn't able to climb the rope holding him to reach his shovel and untie himself. So he simply lulled back and forth, blood rushing to his head as he grew annoyed more. It would be a wonder how he was not hallucinating or dying from having been like this for so long, and not to mention his face was not red whatsoever. Eventually the rope would snap from the weight and the force of him swinging, and cause his shovel to fall down and impale into the ground between his legs, causing him to freak out slightly from almost becoming less of a man. He stood up, and pulled his shovel out of the ground to examine it. Still as sharp as ever. Putting it on his back, he began to jog down an alleyway where he would run past a hooded figure, Alec, and into a crowd where he'd accidentally collide with Borkul.

Nathan was smaller, and fell to the ground easily. He got up and grew angry, still not having seen Borkul. "You big jerk! Watch where the hell you're...Uh...Going...?" He finally saw Borkul...and saw a Half Orc for the first time in his life.

Borkul had found a particular merchant stand that was trying to sell rune powered underwater breathing masks. There had been times in Borkul's life that he needed to be underwater for longer then he could hold his breath so the prospect was definitely interesting. However the price this merchant was selling them for was outrageous. Before long Borkul was getting into a heated argument with the merchant, “I don't care if they are hand crafted! More then half of the shit that is sold here is either fake or meant as a one time use! And I am not paying that much for a one time use!!!” Borkul shouted, the merchant doing his best to persuade Borkul that his masks mouth masks were authentic and would work for at least forty uses.

“Prove it then! Take that mask right there, put it on, and show me it works more then once!” Borkul demanded looking around for something the merchant could use to submerge his face in. He was quick to grab a nearby bucket that a gnome was sitting on, pulling it from underneath the gnome before turning it and setting it on the display stand. The gnome coming to kick Borkul in the shin, only to be met with Borkul's boot to be sent flying above the crowd for a good ten or so feet. And before you knew it the barrel was filled with water and the merchant had his face submerged in it. Borkul standing there and waiting, more then ready to stand for the twenty minutes these masks were displayed to last for at a time.

It was in this first twenty minutes that Borkul would feel a sudden impact at his side. Planted firmly in place Borkul wouldn't even move an inch but whatever had rammed into him would fall back and onto the ground. It was probably that little gnome! Borkul turning even as his eyes stayed on the merchant with his face inside of that bucket. “I will fucking kick again you little- Oh. The hell?” Borkul asked as he looked down at this human that had started to mouth off but quickly stopped talking as he was looking up to him like he was some sort of freak or spectacle or whatever the hell he thought he was.

“You better not of tried to lift my gold...” Borkul stated as his hands patted the three pouches he had on his belt sighing softly before his eyes went back to the merchant... Who had within moments scooped up his days worth of gold and was high tailing it through the crowds. “SON OF A BITCH GET BACK HERE I KNEW YOU WERE A FUCKING LIAR!!!” Borkul shouted, the Half Orc bringing one of his boots up to kick over the merchant's stand before running after him. But this merchant definitely knew Nerys better then Borkul did and would easily lose him in the crowds and alleyways of this great mechanical city.

He saw the giant half orc, at least he looked much more gigantic since Nathan was on the ground looking up to the half orc, turn to look at him and assume him to be someone else. He was confused the entire time, and the booming voice of the half orc had rung in his ears as he threatened Nathan if he had attempted or managed to steal the man's gold, he'd more than likely suffer the consequences. Suddenly, he saw the half orc yell out, causing more ringing to come in the ears of Nathan as the half orc kicked over the merchant's stand and took off after the half orc. Nathan was confused, and felt like something was up! His little curiosity pique had gotten the better of him, and he ran alongside the half orc, even going so far as to jump on the man's back and point ahead of him. "After him, creature! He'll get away with your gold!" He seemed like this was a normal thing to him, or that this was all just a game of sorts.

Elis Chzul was an ancient, pious high elf. He walked through the streets of Nerys with an air of authority that only the high elves could possess. He and his guard of gaudily armored crusaders walked through the streets, crowd dividing wisely as he passed. The city was full of unusual creatures of the mixed races that made up the world. For a Mainland city, it recieved insane amounts of interracial foot traffic. It was the city of trade and progress however, and its numbers showed. Elis did not care for the pressence of these lesser races, though his mission had lead him to hunt a daemon that made its home within Nerys, a chimera, shapeshifters with the faces of a thousand species. These ancient enemies were no match for Elis' crusaders, however.

Elis' thoughts were interrupted as he saw a drenched merchant cross his path closely, a rather elegant looking half orc followed by a human close on his tail. Elis was in no real hurry to solve any of these problems, but when local police began to turn their attention to the chase scene, Elis knew someone had been up to no good. Elis held his mailed hand up and halted his men, then gestured a few to follow and assist.

As Elis made his commands, a particular creature protruded from the crowd. A cloaked young dark elf. To a normal creature, the woman would be completely concealed but to a high elf, she stood no chance of stealthly making her way through. He recognized this elf as a kin to a traitorous family; the Icestrike.

"Orion be damned" he cursed with a smiled, running his hands through his long blonde hair before marching with his remaining men to approach his unexpected prize.

For a small while, Darian wondered about this strange new city; for the longest time, the unforgiving Wasteland had been his home. Most places there were rundown little hovels made of scrap or if someone was lucky, sheet metal; though those didn't typically last long, as raiding bands targeted sheet metal for their own purposes. It was weird for him to see something so peaceful yet chaotic; though perhaps because it was a different kind of chaos. The marketplace air was rich with the odors of fresh-cooked foods of the various races; though he had to admit he stifled his laughter when he saw a Merfolk male sitting in a water tank preparing some kind of raw fish. One would think they wouldn't harm their sea-faring brethren, but then again, what was certain in this world? Other than death of course.

However, the human then got the opportunity to witness another spectacle; a loud bellow was heard about someone being a liar and then a piece of wood could be seen flying through the air. "What the hell..." he mused, pushing through the crowds to get a better look, only to find that the attraction had moved. "Damn...." Darian muttered; maybe if he got high enough, he could see what was going on. He saw nothing that would work from here; after making his way to the alleys, he found some boxes that led to a slightly more elevated position, which he delicately climbed up and to his surprise, saw a way up that would just HAVE to put him REALLY high above the city.

Pumping his fist in glee, he moved from rooftop to rooftop, climbing up all different ladders of sorts and getting higher and higher. When he could go no more, he found that he was in fact not just really high up, but REALLY, REALLY high. He then saw a strange relic right in the center; he was on top of a church! He had to be; all religions had these weird pieces of iron atop the entrance to their buildings. Giving a low whistle as he then gazed on the rest of what he could see of Nerys - which was quite the fair bit - he said after a chuckle-snort, "Ma would kill me if she saw I was up here...God I just hope she's still alive". A particularly sombering thought, but his rather excellent eyes caught rapid movement; taking off his goggles and squinting, he saw a large figure - probably a Half-Orc - carrying what looked like a human on his back and chasing some guy that was running through the crowds like a scared jackrabbit.

"Must be a thief...Heh, wonder if I can hit him from up here" Darian mused, unslinging his Crossbolt Gun once more; fiddling with the lenses until he got the proper magnification, he drew the string back until it clicked. He then replaced the standard iron bolt with a more aerodynamic Balanced Bolt; at this range he practically had to use it, as the added stabilizers and lighter bolt body would give him more range and penetrating power. In addition, he placed two more in the respective barrels from the left; he had a feeling he might miss, but the crowd was thin enough to where he was confident he wouldn't have to worry about collateral damage. He then gave three and a half turns of the induction rotor, the coils surrounding the barrels of the weapon charging up to give the projectile the proper acceleration.

He was about place his eye to the sight when he saw a massive division in the crowd to his left, essentially ending his interest in the chase between the Half-Orc and the poor bastard stupid enough to steal from him; and upon looking at what was causing it, it was apparent. "High Elves..." Darian sneered; as much as he appreciated the beauty of their women (and with the niggling of instinct that they would probably never get near him, based on what some of the Dark Elf mercs had told him. Though that was no reason for him not to try and get one of those 'holier-than-thou' babes under the sheets), they were a right snarky bunch. Still, if the rumors were true, they were certainly not to be trifled with; though he was curious as to what they were doing here. Putting his eye back to the sight, he saw what had to be the leader of the small band run a hand through his hair and make his way through the crowd. Now Darian didn't know a whole lot about war or strategy, but he could tell this guy was moving with a purpose; there was someone he wanted. But who was it? He couldn't help but be curious; from what little he actually knew of High Elves - thanks to Arcereus' tales of his encounters with them - they often didn't associate with the 'scum' and rarely left their prestigious homes. This place didn't seem all that scummy, so perhaps they came here frequently? He didn't know and honestly didn't care enough to bother going down to ask.

This was getting a little ridiculous, how could a city be so confusing? Katya pondered as she trudged through the crowd, her head hung low she began to feel defeated. This was meant to be a piece of cake, she was supposed to be ready for this, but the busy city streets of Nerys were incredibly complicated compared to the humble villages she usually ran around back on the outskirts of Byr. Pulling her hood further down over her face the young elf vanished down into a nearby alley way to rest in the shade and gather her bearings. Nerys was an impossible city! No matter which path she took it always lead her around in a circle and stopped back at her starting position, it was infuriating. Katya grimaced, if only her father could see the mockery she had become, she was a disgrace. Plopping herself down onto a crate she sat in the shadows, her form hidden by piles of empty boxes and garbage cans. The young elf pulled her legs up to her chest, her arms wrapped around them tight she rested her chin against her knee and let out a long, loud yawn. The day had almost reached half noon and she still had not managed to find the blacksmith, Katya felt ashamed. She was once a great warrior for the city of Aesic, a master of stealth taught by the most noble of elves and yet here she was, defeated by the idiotic streets of this city. No! Katya refused to admit defeat just yet, this was far from over.

Rising to her feet, she ran her hands over her face to calm her nerves before pulling up the edge of her scarf to conceal the lower half of her face. Her bright eyes hidden in shadow, she quickly made her way back out on to the street, brushing past other pedestrians like a silent wind. With great ease she scaled the side of a nearby building and perched herself up on the edge of its roof. Searching for any sign of the blacksmith the elf bound from roof top to roof top like a stray cat, stoping every so often to check her surroundings. Her steps silent she moved along the shadows, her cloak billowing in the wind behind her as she sped across the roof tops. A soft smile pulled at her lips as she ran towards the center of town, from her position she could see almost every stall that clustered around one of Nerys’ main courtyards. This was such a simple solution, why didn’t she start like this? Because she was too excited to be out on her own for the first time in years, Katya decided. However the thought still filled her with shame as she came to a skidding stop.

Across the crowded market place the young elf spotted the blacksmith, thanks to an unusually large figure emerging from the tiny shop it was easier to pick it out. “Thank you, Mr. Half Orc” Katya mumbled to herself with a smirk as she slid down the side of the building and touched back down onto the coble stone pathway. Her head held high, Katya made her way towards the blacksmith, smoothly stepping out of the way of passing merchants and a flock of giggling children. Pulling the package out from her bag she was able to place it on the blacksmith’s counter and duck back out of the shop before the owner returned from yelling to his orc friend. Katya grinned, glancing back at the store from over her shoulder she watched as the dark elf returned to his little shop to find the package waiting for him.

Katya couldn’t help but feel a burst of pride as she strut back down to the center of the market place. Another successful mission! “Now maybe father will begin to trust me a little more!” Katya beamed, her head held high she almost skipped happily along the path. Now that she was done with her task Katya contemplated staying in Nerys for a day or two, maybe it would be a good idea to soak up some of the culture, maybe pick up a souvenir for her father and even get some more practice finding her way through the busy streets. Katya smiled, her arms stretching out she looked up at the sun and for a brief moment she forgot why she had to remain in the shadows.

The air around her froze and a chill ran along Katya’s spine, her ears picking up the movement of armour and the restless unease that seemed to fill the air as other pedestrians quickly moved from around her. A horrible sinking feeling gripped her heart, this wasn’t good, Katya felt a sudden urge to fight or fly and without hesitation the young elf chose to fly. Sweeping her cloak around her Katya moved through the crowd, her eyes quick to glance over at the high elves silently making their way over to her position. Hissing a very audible curse the young elf had to make a quick turn to avoid the half orc from before running past her at break neck speed, a young boy hot on his tail. If she wasn’t in a state of panic Katya would have taken the time to comment on their situation. Making her way into a back alley the young elf became trapped by a dead end. Turning on her heels to head back she gasped as a loose nail caught onto her cloak and pulled her hood down to reveal her identity. Ripping the cloak from the nail she tried to pull her hood back over her head, but it was too late. The other elves had blocked off the passage and she felt like a cornered mouse. Taking a stance, Katya reached for her kusarigama that had been secured to her belt against her back, white eyes searching the crowd she tried hard to formulate a plan “Forgive me father” Katya breathed, her hand clutching her kusarigama, she released it from its pouch.

(Edited)

There was a sudden shift in weight as Borkul ran after the shifty ass merchant! He thought it might have been him tripping or losing his footing so Borkul ignored it, learning from the dark elves how to redirect and keep momentum when he was running. So he continued, now he wasn't the stealthiest or most agile person to be ever trained by dark elves, but he was definitely dodging people in the crowds. Much more then other Half Orcs that would simply bull rush into people and knock them out of the way. Unfortunately his new human backpack wouldn't be taken into account and would meet with people and boxes as Borkul ran.

When Borkul had officially lost the merchant at the entrance of an alleyway he would bend over, actually out of breath as he supported himself with his hands on his knees. Not so much focused on running anymore he was able to take into account the arm that was pointing out over his shoulder. “Uuughhh.” Borkul exhaled, one of his hands going back to grab Nathan by the back of his collar. Nathan would find himself being hoisted over and in front of Borkul where he would find the familiar position of being set down on the ground with enough force to land on his ass. “You're kidding me right? How.. When?” Borkul stopped asking when he figured it out, shaking his head as he stood back up tall. “What the hell is your prob-” However he would quickly be cut off when a sudden blur of movement would spin beside him, a graceful and agile side step before the blur continued. Borkul was able to follow it, to see the form and lithe body it belonged too. Elf of some kind, he didn't see a face or eyes the elf was too fast for him to process that. However the alleyway that Borkul and Nathan had stopped at was a dead end and this elf turned to face Borkul and Nathan... Well more the High Elf guards that were closing in behind all three of them. “A Dark Elf...” Borkul stated as he saw this dark elves eyes, that pure white that was surprisingly rare actually. He didn't know enough about Dark Elf culture to be able to pick up that she was an Icestrike... But then again he didn't care too much about another races drama. Like the drama a human maybe two thirds his size brought along thinking he could get a free ride or something!

Borkul's ears would pick up on the sound of armor clanking together as it drew closer, the people that filled the crowds starting to move away from the alley way with so many similar High Elves coming together looking like they were ready for battle. The Half Orc turning to see these Elves stopping before him, pretty much because he was blocking the way into the alleyway. Well at least him and Nathan were. It was obvious that they had business with the Dark Elf that had ran past the two, but who was Borkul to act on assumptions? The man waiting there with arms crosses and his eyebrow raised showing with his body language that he wanted to know what was going on, why armed soldiers had formed ranks in front of him. “Can I help your guys with something?” Borkul would ask, wondering if they would act before speaking or if their leader would talk first.

It would seem that the answer to Darian's unspoken and self-imposed question would be answered; the commotion caused by a previously unseen robed figure fleeing from her would-be pursuers forced the human to take his eye away from the sight and blink in confusion. "The hell..." he then muttered as he refocused on the scene below; sure enough, the High Elves bolted right on after her, showing Darian just who it was they were after. Whoever was under that cloak MUST be someone important to them, and that meant perhaps a sizable bounty. "Nothing wrong with making a little money on the side; that is, if the rat bastards even decide to pay me. Worth a shot though" Darian told himself subconsciously as he did his best to keep up with the pursuing guards, reslinging his weapon over his back as he ran. It certainly wasn't easy, but given his weapon and long-practiced style of combat, along with the fact that he was relatively poor at hand to hand combat, he didn't have much choice. The HAMR pistol at his hip might be some help, but only six shots and the need to repressurize the underbarrel cylinder after every reload, it wouldn't do much to assist him in a potentially confining situation.

Regardless, he would jump from rooftop to rooftop, sometimes from rather treacherous heights; a few times he lost sight of them, but the ruckus caused by their rapid movements seemed to serve as ample waypoints for where he needed to go. As easy as it would have been for him to get to the streets, he didn't want to risk getting caught in a High Elf ground patrol; he truly didn't know if the group chasing the robed figure was all that came to the city or not and he didn't consider it likely they had people patrolling the rooftops. Darian would eventually track them to the east end of the market, or at least he assumed it was the east end if he was reading the position of the sun correctly, just before an entrance to what looked like another side alley. "Balls...Well, let's see what we can do here" he commented with a hint of irritation; if he couldn't find a way up and overlooking the alley itself, he may have to go on the ground. And a cursory glance towards the market center showed yet more High Elves approaching; so that was a definite no on his feet touching the market floor.

"OK....New plan" he grumbled; eventually he spotted two walls that were fairly close to each other. It would be a pain to climb, but it was better than nothing. Though he unfortunately had to place his weapon in front of him to prevent damaging it too much, he would sidle up the makeshift platform until he reach a higher point; at least gave access to other rooftops he could use. And after some jumping down and sliding down and other relatively dangerous movements, he found a fairly nice overlook that let him see what was unfolding, the backs of the High Elves facing him and his scoped weapon facing the now-cornered ...woman? A Dark Elf woman at that; looking through his scope more closely, it was a female alright, and a cute one too. If she were to tilt her head up ever so slightly, she might be able to make out a slight glint high up the wall at the other end of the alley from where she was.

"Well, guess that narrows down whose side I'm on" Darian commented slyly; he always wondered how difficult it might have been to woo a Dark Elf girl. Helping her fight off these potential assailants might be a good way to get his foot in the door, was his thought. But they might also be friends of hers, wanting to take her back home or something; he knew nothing about the situation and didn't want to ruin his chances of getting with this blue-skinned beauty. In any case, he pressed the butt of the weapon firmly against his shoulder in case his marksmanship was needed. "Alright, you pampered shits...Let's see what you do...If you attack her, well....Me and my gun will have something to say about that" Darian mused mentally, adding verbally, "Don't worry, sweetheart...I won't miss".

"We are High Elf Crusaders from Grand Glaedwine." spoke the elegant Second in command to Borkul. "As paladins of the Order of Virtue and guardians of Second Earth, we ask you give us as much information about the gnome you were assailing."

His mailed face and helmed head only revealed a small portion of his eyes, they were bright blue sapphires that could stun even the most stalwart mortal woman. Though these piercing orbs meant nothing to a half-orc, their fey blood immune to the preternatural elven charms.

"We are merely here to service the community" he spoke arrogantly, fighting as much spite in his voice as he could.

------

Elis stepped forth from the ranks of his fully armored soldiers. He approached unarmed, gliding along the ground with almost ethereal grace.

"Icestrike." he said with a smirk "It has been quite some time since I've seen a Darkling with that name. Roughly one thousand sun cycles I believe." Images of the slaughter that Elis lead flooded back into his mind. His smirk forming into a smile as he remembers the massacre. Dozens of dead men, women and children littered the village. Such a humble lifestyle for such insidious assassins of Derileth's will.

He approached her closely with arrogance, placing a gauntlet on her soft face.

"What is the beautiful young Daughter of Alec Icestrike doing in Nerys? Eh?" He said completely ignoring her weapon being drawn. He had eons of experience on her. She was no threat to him. His soldiers, being less experienced, withdrew their blades in unison, awaiting their Fearless Leader's orders, or if he were to fall at the hands of Katya, awaiting the kill.

Katya’s blood quickly began to boil, her upper lip curling she took a step back as the older elf moved closer, his expression infuriating the young elf. How dare he speak her family name! How dare he approach her! Elven filth! Katya looked up at him with a dangerous glare, his hand reaching out to stroke her cheek she quickly swatted it away. “Elis Chzul” Katya hissed her upper lip curling as she spoke his name “The last time we met you were running a blade through my mother”. Sticking out her chin her gaze moved from Elis to his guards, then to the half orc and back again “My business is my own, there is no need for you to get involved, I was just leaving” Katya answered. Swallowing a breath the young elf took another step backwards her hands pressing against the wall she gave a slight smirk before launching herself towards him. Her hands outstretched she gripped onto his shoulders and flung herself over the top of him. Dropping onto the ground behind him she wasted no time and burst through the group of soldiers, knocking most of them over in the process. With a boastful laugh Katya made her way back out to the main street, they were quick, but she was quicker, or at least she hoped she was.

An outstretched hand gripped on to her mess of hair and the young elf let out a pained cry as she was dragged back down to the ground, struggling hard to be released. The soldier who had caught her kept a tight hold on her hair, the others quickly surrounding her. “Let me go you pompous shit!” Katya hissed, moving to sit on her knees she pulled out a small blade to cut her hair loose, but the guard quickly took hold of her wrist and began to twist it until she was forced to drop the knife. Ignoring the pain in her wrist the young elf continued to struggle, the shame she felt was almost overwhelming. The edge of a sword was placed against her throat and Katya fell still, her gaze lifting she watched the other elves gather in close, blocking out any chance of escape “Son of a bitch” Katya grimaced.

A rather regal and important looking High Elf stepped forward, no doubt the leader of this group of Crusaders. The man spoke calmly and with elegance that Borkul wasn't used to in his daily travels. It was a very simple request, asking the Half Orc if he and his men could enter. Borkul assumed that it was because of the dark elf that had ran by moments before but didn't care too much to deal with armed soldiers at the moment. Besides it wasn't any of his business what other people did with themselves, Borkul simply stepping aside and allowing the men to enter since they weren't here to deal with him. For what though Borkul wouldn't know.

The man was about to leave when he was stopped by a second set of guards, these ones actually looking for him instead of some dark elf. Borkul had attempted to leave the mouth of the alleyway but was cut off by this second group. Now he was a little pissed, what had he done? When they brought up the topic of the gnome that he was assailing Borkul just stared at them for a few moments, a blank face of confusion was shown as he had no idea what this man was talking about. “What Gnome?” Borkul asked, eyebrow raised as he stood there. But just like a bag of brick it would suddenly hit him and Borkul couldn't help but laugh a little.

“Oh that guy. He was sitting on a bucket that I needed to complete a transaction with one of the merchants so when I took it the Gnome came at me with his fists flying everywhere. So I defended myself and kicked him away.” Borkul stated, it was more like he stole the bucket from underneath the gnome, but these guys didn't need to know that side of the story. “And if you are here to service the community then why the hell are you allowing thieves and backstabbers to peddle stolen and fake goods? Your time would be better spent checking out the merchants then the random misunderstandings of Gnome!” Borkul declared, pissed off again that the order in Nerys was interested more in public disputes then monetary corruption!

However before anymore debates or explanations could be brought forth there would be a sudden blur that wove it's way around Borkul and Nathan, that dark elf quick on her feet to escape the elves that had been following her. Borkul watched wide eyed as she practically bull rushed two or three guards to create an opening, way to take them on like an Orc! With an opening Borkul would grab Nathan by the collar of his shirt, quick to get him on his feet and running so that the two wouldn't be caught between the two sets of guards. “You're on your own human!” Borkul shouted, laughing as he jumped over a few people before following after the dark elf. But just like the other High Elves Borkul wasn't as fast as she.

“Where did she go?” Borkul asked himself, looking at the crowds of people that served no other purpose then to be in the way. It taking Borkul a few moments before he went to a nearby alleyway, finding a few crates to scale up and onto the rooftops of the nearby buildings. From here he was able to see what became of the Dark elf, no more then fifty feet away or so soon being surrounded by High Elf guards. Borkul quick to jump form one building to the next, coming to the edge of the small house to see the Dark Elf have her knife forced from her hand. Well, this wasn't exactly a fair fight now was it? Though what spurred Borkul's actions wasn't some sort of call for fairness or morality. This Dark Elf woman would just so happen to be lucky enough to be a Dark Elf, any other race, other then Orcish of course, Borkul would of turned his back too. Taking a few steps back he would take a few breaths before charging off the roof top, a good fifteen or so foot drop before he came down on top of the High elf that had the edge of a sword to the Dark Elves throat.

Borkul would stand up tall, effectively having surprised and knocked the High Elf out cold by smashing his head into the ground. Since he had a helmet on it wouldn't of been a fatal attack, but if he didn't then there might have been Elven brain to scoop up off the ground. “You have any powder bombs?” Borkul would ask the Dark Elf woman, if she looked at what he was doing, she would see that he was reaching into one of his closed pouches, pulling out two black color spheres. The spheres a dark elf invention meant to create a sudden smoke screen to escape with. Borkul holding onto them, waiting to use them when the time was right.

Nathan watched the newcomers as they conversed with Borkul, and he was just standing there, confused as he looked to each of the elves and then to Borkul. When Nathan was about to chime in, he felt Borkul grab him by the collar and help him escape. Nathan acted on impulse and just ran with Borkul until he saw the orc jump over the crowd of people. "Hey wait!" HE called out as he stopped at the edge of the crowd and rubbed the back of his head. "Who is he tailing?" He seemed to stand outside the crowd of people as they went about their business. Nathan didn't want to get lost in the crowd, and he was in clear view of the elves if they had went to chase after Borkul and he.

"Well, this escalated quickly" Darian thought to himself as he watched the spectacle unfold; while he couldn't exactly hear what they were talking about, the rapidity of the movement was enough for him to see that the Dark Elf was actively trying to evade capture. So she was someone important to this High Elf group, whoever they were. Unfortunately, how she decided to run past them put her directly in front of his shot, so he couldn't pull the trigger...Yet. Seems yet more rooftop running was required on his part; though he had to pause when he saw a Half-Orc appear to scale some crates up to a shorter rooftop. "The hell...Where'd that brute come from?" Darian mused in his mind; though he decided that it was unimportant and took his own way to try and follow the Dark Elf.

When he arrived on the scene - up high above the Half-Orc and the Dark Elf odd couple - with the former's foot smashing one of the Elves' face into the ground, he found them surrounded by more High Elves, including the especially stuck-up one. Thankfully, his weapon was still charged and in fact, he was even further away than he was previously; that meant he might be able to recover at least one of his Balanced Bolts. Sighting up with the first target, who was in very clear view of the Crossbolt's power, Darian grinned and muttered, "Gotcha" before pulling the trigger. A small shockwave emitted from the body of the weapon, the string shooting forward and propelling the bolt through the coils of the weapon, increasing its velocity that much more.

The arrow screamed through the air, a small whistling could be heard to those with especially sensitive hearing, before impaling one of the High Elves in the chest, piercing through his armor with ease and striking his left lung and the major ventricles of his heart, the bolt shattering inside the Elf's body like shrapnel. The poor bastard choked on his own blood and crumpled, causing a fair bit of confusion as the soldiers and civilians surrounding the two humanoids looked around trying to find where the round had come from. Pumping a slide behind the barrels, another arrow was rotated into place and the trigger was pulled again; this time, a guard was about to look right at Darian before the arrow pierced the center of his skull, right between those baby blues. The eyes rolled up until the whites were visible, the Elf falling stone still backwards to lie spread eagle on the ground with a heavy thud. As another High Elf lost his spine and tried to flee, Darian refocused his fire and pulled; the bolt went straight through the knee of the fleeing Elf, sending him crashing into the ground in extreme pain and unknowingly giving the Half-Orc the opportunity he needed to throw his powder bombs.

The redskin lept from the roof, knocking one of the Crusaders to the ground with ease. The muscle ridden half-orc stood in a guard's possition, his body stocky and impassible. Elis withdrew his elven blade, the blade itself as long as the hilt, giving the wielder extreme versatility.

"Stand down Half-orc." he spoke with athourity, his blade held in one hand, perfectly balanced. "This is not your fight."

Elis Chzul heard a bolt whizzing for his head and he spun out of the way, the bolt striking his lesser in the chest, killing him quickly. The second bolt fired and slew a second elf, the bolt easily piercing through his head. One of his cowardly younglings ran in a state of un-elven fear, thankfully the assassin pierced his knees making him incapable of fighting. Now Elis won't have to do this himself.

The ancient crusader looked from rooftop to rooftop to see where the assailant was coming from. He was a skilled hunter, and Elis would have to give him that, whoever he was. He turned his gaze back to Katya, his soldiers ready to strike. "Kill them." He barked pulling the mail "scarf" up over his nose giving his face a decent guard before charging at the Dark Elf.

Everything around the young elf seemed to freeze. Her eyes wide she watched with bated breath as everything began to unfold in slow motion. The half orc coming to her aid had to be the most astounding thing she had ever witnessed, his words however fell on deaf ears as she turned her head abruptly to see a glimmer of light before a guard was impaled and taken down. What on earth was going on?! Unable to answer she glanced over at the orc again and watched as he withdrew a few powder bombs, baffled she opened her hand to show him that she was already holding a couple. A smile twitched at her lips and the young elf quickly rose to her feet, stashing the bombs into a pocket for the moment she withdrew her kusarigama and hurled the chain around a guard’s leg, dragging him to the ground. Her movements quick she stepped behind a second guard as Elis came charging towards her, using the guard as cover she pushed him towards Elis to cause a distraction before stepping over to the half orc. Looking up to where the shots had come from Katya waved, her smile bright she blew the unknown marksman a kiss before rising up on to her toes and placing a kiss against the orc’s cheek, whispering a quick word of gratitude as a powder bomb slipped from her fingers and collided with the ground.

A pitch black cloud of smoke erupted into the air, its powdery substance surrounding the group and giving Katya the opportunity to run like hell. She had started for her escape, her inner voice screaming to run like never before, but her conscience got the better of her and the young elf stopped. Turning back she quickly found the hand of the orc in the commotion and dragged him alongside her, her bright eyes looking up at him through the black cover she urged him to move faster. “Hurry up, I don’t want their filthy hands touching me again!” Katya hissed as she broke into a run, her agility cut in half as she pulled him along. Twisting through the crowd, Katya lead him away from the commotion and spotted an empty shop hidden around the next corner. The shop wasn’t much cover its windows were broken, but remained covered by tattered drapes so it would have to do. Kicking open the door the young elf pulled the orc inside and slammed the door shut, leaning up against it and slumped down onto the ground, sitting in silence as the ruckus outside slowly fizzled out.

A moment past and finally the young elf let out a sigh, her hands covering her face. “I’m sorry, but I felt like I needed to get out of there or it just would have gotten worse” Katya spoke softly a hand running through her hair she smiled “Word would have quickly spread to the other guards on duty and then we wouldn’t just be facing a handful, but probably a whole battalion”. Pulling herself up to her feet the young elf slid against the wall to peer through a crack in the drapes, looking up at the rooftops across the street “And I doubt our guardian friend would have been able to take out that many”. Turning her gaze back onto the orc the young elf crossed her arms over her chest and leaned back against the wall “Thank you for saving me, I was certain that they were going to take me in”

“It's always my fight!” Borkul shouted a smirk on his face as he stood there, when he heard the man say kill them he was actually surprised. The guards going to such an extent... But then again High Elf morals and standards would seem extreme to other races. By instinct alone Brokul's armor would start to sprout from his belt, the set of lighter armor soon spreading out over his form as he brought his hand up with the two powder balls in them.. However what came as a shock to even the Half-Orc was the sudden pelting of projectiles. Guards left and right were falling to their knees either dead or severely wounded. This causing that first distraction that the powder bombs were suppose to cause. The Half-Orc was set on striking now but was stopped in his steps by a sudden kiss to the cheek. What was this Dark Elf doing!? Now wasn't the time for affections! Now was the time for sweet battle!

She was quick, very quick, and as if in one fluid motion of giving him a kiss on the cheek the woman had dropped a powder bomb suddenly a large explosion of pitch black smoke erupted. Borkul would use his in a different manner, remembering where this leader of the crusaders were he would chuck one of his powder bombs towards him, unknowing that the Dark Elf had thrown a guard towards Elis. Maybe Borkul's strike would of sliced through Elis if not for the guard that had fallen into him, but within the cloak of darkness he would unsheath his cleaver, bringing it down hard into flesh armor. But just as quickly as he had struck he was being pulled back, eyes wide as he got ready to turn and swing at whoever was grabbing hold of him... Only to find it to be the Dark Elf Woman that had gotten herself into this fine mess.

Borkul's armor would clank softly with each accelerated step, favoring full on sprinting his armor would retract back into the belt, Borkul now in his normal clothing as he followed after the Dark Elf by the hand. It was somewhat menacing though to look at, what with the Half-Orc being pulled along by an Dark Elf all the while holding a frieghtening cleaver in his hand. But before anyone could really dwell on the scene, or the utter carrnage that the two had run from, this Dark Elf had found a place to hide, quick to pull Borkul in before closing it up to look like it had been just moments before.

At first Borkul wasn't sure what to expect, cleaver still out as he looked to the woman who was doing the right thing by scoping out what was going on outside. There was commotion yes, but the crowds continued to shift. Anyone that had seen the two enter this house would of moved on, at least with the citizens anyways. It was around the time that the Dark Elf covered her face in her hands that Borkul would sheath his weapon, an eyebrow raised slightly to hear her apologizing. She was sorry for running? That was usually a flaw or guilt that Half-Orcs felt, never run from battle, always see it to your enemies end or your own. But then wouldn't that mean Borkul had gone against his own code? Well it was code he had lived by while in the Wastelands, but now? It was much more important to survive. When she spoke of the guardian friend Borkul would nod slightly, “I thought he might be with you. Hell it could have been Jaen if the old codger gave a rats ass anymore about someone other then himself.” Borkul stated, talking of course about the Dark Elf Blacksmith in town. But he didn't expect every single person to know Jaen.

“Take you in? I saw the look in that one High Elves eyes. If he didn't kill you in those streets he would of killed you in prison.” Borkul said, now crossing his arms as he was more interested in this woman then the events that were going on outside. “What got you in such issues with the guards of Nerys?” He asked, the least she could do was answer his question right? Then again she had effectively returned the favor by pulling him out of the growing fight and into hiding so they were even on the saving ones life part.

Darian caught the wave and mock kiss with a two-fingered salute, but also saw that there was still going to be trouble. He was about to load up more bolts in his weapon when he saw the massive powder blast; no way anyone would be able to follow them through that. Even he couldn't see where they were going from his vantage point; it didn't help that there wasn't a breeze or something to help clear it away, which meant it would just hover and make a smokescreen like the powder bombs were designed to do. "Crafty little thing, aren't you?" Darian mused with a smirk; he still couldn't help but wonder what would make High Elves specifically target her. Based on what little he knew, the High Elves mostly kept to themselves and rarely interacted.

However, as some of the Elves made their way from the smoke while coughing heavily, not following their leader's unknown action of masking his face to avoid inhaling the powder, Darian realized that now was NOT a time to sit and think; he needed to move. No doubt at least one of them would be trying to find out where those bolt shots came from. "Well, I'll recover them if I can...Doubt I can get anywhere near the bodies though" the merc thought to himself as he started to make his way down from his little perch; it would probably be safer to just let them go. Regardless, he made his way down and down, sliding down poles and ladders alike; not an easy task with this bulky behemoth of a weapon on his back, but he had enough practice to make it seem less cumbersome.

Every few moments, he would stop and make sure that he wasn't being tailed; even more ironic, he heard Arcereus' voice play in his head "Still so sloppy". "Not this time...I ain't getting caught" he then muttered as he dropped down a particularly high drop; a bad idea considering that his weight shifted ever so slightly, and he fell with a hard thud and banged his shoulder on the roof before falling again unceremoniously to the ground. "Aahh...Son-of-a-bitch" Darian groaned as he leaned over on his elbows and knees, his back facing the door; what he didn't realize was that he'd found by complete accident where the Dark Elf and the Half-Orc were hiding at, his pain serving to drown out their voices as they spoke to each other and that they'd likely heard his clumsy descent.

Pushing away from the wall Katya took a few steps towards him, her eyes focused on the filthy ground beneath her feet. “Jaen? You mean the old dark elf blacksmith?” Katya quizzed, thinking for a moment she quickly shook her head “No, I doubt he would save someone like me, I doubt he even knows I exist”. A hollow sigh escaped her lips and she turned on her heels, moving back towards the door she slowly dropped to the floor and leaned back against it. The wood softly creaked against her weight as she shifted to bring her knees up to her chest and wrap her arms around. “I don’t know who the marksman was, if he wasn't with you and he wasn't with me we must just have some sort of guardian looking out for us” She shrugged her shoulders, her frozen eyes looking up at him through long strands of hair that had fallen loose during the struggle. The orc was right however, if Elis had gotten his hands on her again he probably would have killed her on the spot. The young elf grimaced as she tried not to think of how quick he would be to take her down. There was no doubt in her mind, Elis Chzul was an enemy, and she would not let him get so close to her ever again. Disgusted, a slight chill ran along her spine as she remembered the way he touched her cheek, the wretched swine, how dare he!

Borkul’s next question caught her off guard, gazing up at him with wide eyes her breathing hitched and she quickly began to panic. Should she lie? Would he care? Would he turn her in if he knew the truth? Katya's eyes traced over his form, biting down on her lower lip she continued to think of the options she could take before speaking again. “I… I don’t know why… I don’t think I’ve done anything wrong, but I think they got me confused with someone else… Icestrike…. That’s what they called me… I am not an Icestrike, but I know of them, they should all be dead” Katya cringed, bowing her head she tried to hide the shame she felt from lying to the brute who had just saved her bacon. "My name is Katya Windhelm, I was on my way out of Nerys after taking care of some business when they accused me. Knowing I did not have a chance against the likes of them I decided to run, but well... You know the rest" Katya looked up at him with a smile, it felt wrong to lie, she knew exactly why they wanted her, but she did not need to trouble him with her problems.

Moving to speak again a loud thud cut her off and Katya quickly rose to her feet, jumping back from the door as a man’s voice grumbled behind it. “They can’t have found us already” Katya breathed, flicking a concerned expression to Borkul before withdrawing her weapon. Though he didn't sound like a high elf, his clumsy manner of falling off the roof definitely confirmed that, she wasn't going to take any chances. Silently slinking towards the window the young elf peered outside, confused by the site of a man sitting in a heap on the ground. He wasn't an elf that was for sure, glancing over at Borkul she gave a shrug of her shoulder and a confused expression "Do you know him?"

She was panicking, her breathing hitching.. Her eyes dropped to his body to keep his eyes from looking into hers. Was she lying? There were signs sure but the signs weren't universal were they? Borkul had dealt with his fair share of cheap liars and backstabbers, there was always a tell of some kind. But he could see that she had nothing really gain from telling him the truth, or at least nothing to lose by telling him a lie. “Katya Windhelm huh?” Borkul would ask, a little disbelief in his voice but he didn't play much more into it. If that was how she wanted to introduce herself then that was how he was going to accept her. First impressions right? “Well whatever the reason it is nice to meet you, my name is Bor-” However a sudden thud above their heads would stop Borkul from speaking.

Just like Katya the Half Orc was quick to withdraw his weapon, a hunk of metal fashioned to be a cleaver with the blood of High Elf staining it's blade. His eyes went up to the ceiling, a sudden second thud and whoever had been on the roof was now on the floor outside. He didn't respond to Katya when she professed her disbelief, Borkul quickly walking over to the door as Katya got a view from the window. “Probably not, but I don't need him drawing attention.” Borkul stated before opening the door, quickly grabbing the man by the collar of his jacket before yanking him into the house. Quick to shut the door and bring his cleaver to the man's throat.

“You following us?” Borkul asked, seeing a human now beneath his weapon. A rather well equipped human... With a giant crossbow. Even if he was threatening the man with a weapon to his throat Borkul was confused and studying him, showing no signs that he was about to run the man through. “This guy has the same bolts that were sticking out of those High Elf Guards.” Borkul stated, seeing a rather full quiver of bolts. “Guess our guardian choose to find us instead.” The Half Orc laughed softly, removing his cleaver from the man's throat before helping him back up. “Quite the shot aren't you?”

Darian had just managed to stand up, working the kinks out of his sore joints; how cruel irony could be. Just as the words of his 'rival' at the Talon Company branch went through his head and he had become determined to prove them wrong, he pulled a rookie stunt like that. Needless to say, it was more than his body that was hurting at this point; even if no one from the band of mercenaries had seen him do it, he felt like an idiot nonetheless.

However, he would find that his wounded body and pride were the least of his worries; he couldn't even react to the creak of the door opening before feeling something grab him and pull him backwards with tremendous force. A pained grunt left his throat as his back connected with the wall on the inside, only to feel cold metal pressed against throat. And what was worse: One of the arms of his Crossbolt Gun was jabbing him in the back, and that piece of formed metal was sharp! His eyes winced as he tried to adjust before managing to get the point at a shallower angle to his body, allowing some relief.

He looked up to see a Half-Orc glaring him in the face; he would be lying if he said he wasn't terrified, but he certainly tried his best to look like he wasn't intimidated. He'd heard legends of the Orcs they had descended from; what this lumbering brute might do to him he could only guess. Though when the creature mentioned the bolts in his makeshift quiver, Darian cocked his head in confusion; it was then he saw a familiar Dark Elf in the same room. It was the two from before! What were the odds of that?

When the creature lessened the pressure to his throat and helped him back to his feet, Darian commented jokingly to help get rid of his residual nervousness as he brushed himself off, his hand waving past the shoulder emblem that marked his employment with Talon Company, "If that's how you treat a 'guardian', I'd hate to see how you deal with enemies. But it's no problem; it's what I'm good at, after all". Regardless, he then lifted the goggles from over his eyes to reveal their natural coloration, gazing towards the Dark Elf with a slight grin, "Hey there, beautiful. Sorry if my shots were a bit close for comfort; just thought you and your friend here could use some help".

Borkul’s sudden movements to drag the young man inside caught Katya off guard. Taking a huge lunge backwards to avoid getting caught up in the struggle she moved cautiously to the other side of the orc, peering over his shoulder to get a better look. He was a young man, not much older than thirty, maybe twenty five… It was hard to tell in human years. Her lips forming a lopsided pout she slid towards the door, her eyes still focused on the man as Borkul kept him pinned to the wall. Leaning her form back against the door she put her kusarigama away and casually crossed her arms over her chest. “Forgive us, but we assumed you were tracking us for the guard, but it seems you were the one who saved our rear ends back there” Katya smiled, slowly bowing her head in a sign of gratitude. The man shot her a grin and Katya cocked a brow at the word ‘beautiful’, an amused smirk soon pulling at her lips. “Thank you for your help, I owe you and my friend here a drink” Katya mused “But I think we’ll have to wait until the heat dies down before that happens”.

The dark elf pressed up against the wall, peering outside to the street beyond the tattered curtain. The pace of the crowds seemed casual, she could see a few elven guards, but they did not appear to be openly looking for them. A lopsided smile tugged at her lips and she relaxed, the coast was clear for now, but Katya knew it was better to wait then to take a risk so quickly. A sigh escaped her and she turned her attention back to the two, stepping up to stand beside Borkul she placed a hand on her hip. Her silver white eyes staring at the human, studying his form she slowly pulled her gaze upwards to look into his eyes. After a moment she gave a slight shrug of her shoulder before looking up to Borkul. “I guess we should go our separate ways from here, we’d have a better chance leaving here one by one rather than in a group… A human, an orc and a dark elf travelling together would draw to much attention”. Her hands slipped up along her form, taking the hem of her hood she pulled it back over her head, hiding her features in shadow “Thank you both, I am certain I would have died back there so I am in your debt… There is a back door behind the crates over there which you can use” She advised Borkul before looking at Darian “Your identity is still unknown so you can just leave from the front door and re-join the crowd, I’ll wait here for a moment then leave by the back door and make my way through the back alleys... Thoughts?”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom