Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Eartia: Chapter 1 - The Landing (Still accepting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jane Koenig

After Jane had more or less finished straightening up Ozzy's room, her mind swirled with thoughts on what else she could do to keep herself occupied while everyone else acted the fool and just ran about like silly children without a worry or care into the great wide open of who knew what. She heaved a heavy sigh just then at the thought of Ozzy being in the middle of all the potential dangers and began to wring her hands again.

"All right, calm down, Jane," she chided herself. This was really driving her mad, to the point where she didn't know just how much more she could take.

Was he all right? Did he find anything hurtful or harmful?

Scowling, Jane began to pace. Finally, she stopped abruptly and focused her dark eyes upon the door. That damnable door. She mumbled curses under her breath as she slowly began to walk toward it, her feet feeling like lead and each step heavier than the first. Once at the door, she stood there for a moment just staring at it. Bringing her hand up, she swallowed hard and pressed the button that opened it up. Slowly, she peeked outside. People were skittering about--happy, smiling, chattering away--and seemingly elated about where they were.

Why wasn't she?

Hanging her head, her dark hair falling into her eyes, Jane took a step out into the corridor. As she looked up, the door shut behind her. Suddenly, she felt so very cold and she wished that Ozzy was there with her. Shivering, she brought her hands up and began rubbing at her arms. Slowly, ever so slowly, she began what felt like the longest trek ever toward the ramp that would to the ominous outside. A trek that, to her, felt like one that would lead to her death.

"I need you, Ozzy," Jane whispered softly and to herself as she pressed forward, knowing that no one about her could hear since they were all to preoccupied with the landing and seeing the great and wonderful outside.

Ozzy did his best to regulate a crowd of excited and rowdy people, that were just hit with the realization that this wasn't a vacation nor was it a resort. Everyone was so excited to go outside, everyone was so happy, that the hardships of this planet took them by surprise. Everyone was coughing, everyone was struggling to regain their breath. There was not much he could do, he was not a doctor. Himself and the select few that were already outside...they were strong enough to manage themselves. Yet the rest of the people here, the normal passengers, the remainder of earth...they were not that strong, they needed someone to ease them off. At that thought, his mind ran to thoughts of Jane. His heart wrenched in his chest and beat a little faster. He swallowed a gulp, and tried not to sink off in thought and ignore the people, but he couldn't. He missed her, it'd only been an hour or so, but without her...he was incomplete. He didn't feel right, he was hurting.

Knowing she was worried and scared...having to come out here all alone, into this new and unknown world worried him more than it worried her. He could take care of himself, but she...she needed him. She depended on him, and he wasn't there. He just ran off the first chance he could, orders or not. He suddenly felt like like he was the worst. He felt like he abandoned her, despite him just being hard on himself. He couldn't help it, she needed him to breathe and he needed her to breathe back. He couldn't stand there for much longer, and decided to leave the people on their own for a few minutes.

He climbed up to the ship's door and made his way to it's entrance, about to walk in and go search for her himself. Only then did he spot her in the distance, with her head down and her arms wrapped around herself, cold and alone, walking in fear to the ship's door. He knew she was so scared, that she was the one that carried the worries of him, of Alice, and everyone else. Alice could afford to be so happy and upbeat because Jane struggled for her in the shadows, she was the one that kept it all inside and cared for everyone without them even noticing.

He couldn't stand there anymore, taking a few silent steps forward until he was in her path. He waited a few seconds until she reached him, and she bumped into him since her sight was at the floor. Instantly his hands wrapped around her tightly and he lifted her off the ground, wrapping her legs around his waist and pressing her into him. His embrace was tight, squeezing her against his flesh, his face buried in her neck. And as if he read her mind, he spoke.

"I'm here."

As the men came with the tables, hauling them on the ground vehicles, James pointed to the tree closest to the ship with the low branches. "Just set the tables up there," he said as he grabbed his bag. As he sat up his lab, he put a camera around his neck so he could take pictures. After he was done setting his workstation up, he went back over to Alice. "Hey, you're just as knowledgeable as your sister, if not more so. Think you might wanna help me with some medical consults until Jane gets adjusted? You know, just in case we find anything medicinal." And because I want to be close to you as much as possible, he thought to himself. "I was also thinking...if you no one has asked you yet, if you'd mind sharing a tent with me?" He then blushed a little. "Just for safety reasons, I swear. As excited as I am to be here, I still don't want to risk sleeping alone until a solid perimeter is established."

As David's thoughts began to drift from the vid he was watching towards one of the many arbitrary musings he so often thought of, there came a buzzing from the doorway and the telltale burst of static that signaled the intercom having been activated, a feminine voice chirping directly into his ear as a backup, just in case the occupant could not hear the doorbell for any reason. The only person who ever seemed to talk to the hulking mass of flesh was Fancesca, and sure enough it was her voice that came through to David over his thoughts.

Five minutes..... it wouldn't do to keep what felt like his only.... what was the word..... companion? Acquaintance? Colleague?- waiting for him, especially since being primarily on the Science team, she had a job to do that was quite urgent. Without a word of confirmation- David figured she would've bolted by then, so she wouldn't have heard either way- he rose from his bed, throwing the portable vid-player onto the duvet cover as he rooted around in what used to be his father's footlocker.

Damn it... you should be here for this.... why did you have to die, Dad? Why wouldn't the Captain do anything about it.... he thought as he searched through his father's things. He soon found what he was looking for- a simple cloth pouch not unlike a coinpurse, with a length of leather chord at the top to bind the pouch closed. He knew his father was waiting to give this to him, but he never got the chance. Now, as the ship that generations of the Kings had called 'home' was at it's final destination, did it only feel right to open his father's trinket bag.

Inside, David found naught but three things- two would be mundane, but the final one had meant a lot to the family. First, there was a simple set of sunglasses- aviators, he surmised, from the various vids he and his father had watched together as David was growing up. These would help with the unknown sun, in order to adjust to a new planet with a new atmosphere. The second item was a length of polished silver chain with a solitary steel dogtag adorning it like a medallion. On one side it was pitted and scarred, as if something or someone had chewed upon it. On the other side, it had a single word engraved into it in heavy script, the lettering seeming as though it had been etched into the tag's surface. It read 'Onyx'. As to the meaning of this word, David could not recall, but he was certain in due time it would come to him.

The last item would not help the timid giant in any way, but it was something his family had kept in their bloodline since before David's ancestors had boarded Hope in search of a new planet. A ring of pure jade, in the form of an Ouroborous, inlaid with gold between the scales and richly amber-colored miniature topaz stones inset where the eyes would be, the gems themselves having been cut in a marquis style. Whoever had created this ring was obviously proud of the workmanship, as even though the trinket was centuries old, it looked to be brand new. The heirloom was of high quality and value, but only to the King family did it hold significance.

"The Ouroborous, the snake devouring it's own tail, is the sign of the Alchemist. It is both a symbol of futility and a symbol of the neverending eternity that is the human spirit. As a chef, this ring is why you are who WE are, David. Your passion for the craft, yes, it plays into it, but our family exists for one purpose..... To find a way to break the unending chain of misery, and shine some light and happiness into the lives of those around us. To show love where there is none, from the poorest pauper to the richest King. You are destined for greatness, my son. Though you may not know it yet, there is something within you, a light that cannot be extinguished, a beacon of peace that in time, will draw those to you."

These were the words David's father had told the young giant as he began to sleep, every night, for almost 17 years. It was comforting to think that, even to the last minute, his father had believed in David, believed that his son would not only make his family proud, but also find the peace he sought.

Slipping the heirloom onto his left ring finger, David quickly made his way to the ship's exterior. As he did so, he tried his best to avoid others, the stigma being that the Troll- as he was insultingly referred to by the less kind-hearted crew members- was not fit to be near 'normal' people. On his way outside, he saw a lone woman standing outside one of the rooms. He paid her no mind- David being who he was, he tended to keep to himself- but as he approached to try exiting the ship for the first time, a man he couldn't identify- a Soldier from the look of his uniform- came up to the female, holding her close in a show of affection that made David both terrified yet joyful. If love was to be found even during an event horizon such as this, maybe there was hope to be found somewhere.

Donning his sunglasses and the dogtag his father had left him, David did he absolute best to avoid the couple, squeezing himself against a wall and keeping his head down and away from the two, for fear he should be stopped and questioned, or worse yet- berated for some reason or another. Goodness knows the massive being didn't have a mean bone in his body, so the very thought of confrontation was almost panic-inducing to David. As he passed the two and prayed nobody would say anything to or about him, he stood with some trepidation at the access hatch to the airlock, his massive hand hovering over the button, the giant trying to mentally prepare himself for whatever it was that lay beyond on this strange new planet. The very concept of a heavier atmosphere or momentary lack of oxygen hadn't even crossed his mind- something David would soon come to regret- but as he stood there, fear and excitement mixing within him as his hand refused to obey his brain and open toe hatch, he couldn't help but have a singular final thought.

I wish you were here, Dad.

Jane Koenig

Left... right... left... right... Jane just focused on the rhythm of each step as she made it, her eyes fixed upon her feet and the cold, hard floor beneath them. It was dreadful, painful almost, this long and terrible walk toward the door that would bring her outside and to the open. She'd never been outside before, breathed true air or seen a true sun. The thought of it was beyond terrifying and the fact that no one seemed to have any worry bothered her. What was more, who knew of what else might be out there. Bigger things. Smaller things. People often times forgot about the 'smaller' things--single-celled organisms that could be lethal if ingested.

As Jane's mind swirled with morbid thoughts, she suddenly bumped into something hard. Just as she was about to look up and mutter her apologies, a warmth immediately encircled her tiny body. The heat was familiar as was its accompanied scent and within moments she was literally swept up off her feet and into strong arms, the very arms of the very one she needed.

"Ozzy," Jane whispered as she buried her face against the crook of his neck, nuzzling close to him and not caring who might be watching as she sought comfort in his arms right then and there in that moment. Pulling away, she then looked into his eyes, her legs squeezing about his waist and linking behind him at the ankles. "Are you all right?" she asked, a hand moving up to touch his face. Before he could answer, she leaned forward and pressed her lips to his.

Alice Koenig

Alice was still in total awe of the beauty around her. She'd gotten used to life on the ship and though she'd dreamed of a life off of it, there were times when she was certain getting off the hunk of metal during her life time was never going to happen. After all, the projected landing date of Hope was set for a much later time than this. Fate was definitely smiling upon them all! As she looked around at everything, she couldn't help but take notice of the color, the sounds. It was all so much more than she'd ever imagined. And she could imagine quite a lot. She truly felt like she'd been thrown into a fantastical dream and she was the princess at the center of it all. It was honestly the most wonderful experience she'd had to date.

Just then, Alice's daydream was interrupted and immediately she turned to look over at James. Her blue eyes sparkled a bit and she gave him a smile. "Sure, I'd love to help out," she said a bit shyly, her cheeks tinging a slight shade of pink.

Jane had always been the one most people turned to when it came to anything related to medicine. Being a little older, the one deemed 'mature', her twin sister had always been consider more of a leader and her the assistant. Jane had never treated her as such and she both loved and adored her for that. But, that never changed the fact that others typically didn't view her as such. It was nice to know that James viewed her on equal terms as Jane in that regard... more so than it did for anyone else. His opinion and thoughts just mattered more... they just... did.

"And..." Alice's cheeks flushed just a bit more. "No one has asked me," she admitted. "I'll share a tent with you. It'll probably be a good idea." At that she giggled a little. "Goodness knows I have a knack for getting myself into trouble sometimes and I'm sure Jane will be occupied..." She bit down on her lip and her eyes suddenly averted to fix upon the ground. "I... thank you," she then said before looking back up into his eyes. "For wanting to look out for me."

Turning the corner she saw him, sunglasses on and his hand hovering over the button. She smiled; he was so scared of this. Slipping between his body and the door was easy, as she was much smaller than he. Small warm hand graced the back of his, “Don’t be afraid David… it’s good for us.” Pushing down on his hand they opened the hatch together, her smiling up into his face, and the reflection of it in his sunglasses. Her own specs were of the modern variety and shielded her eyes from the rays. Clasping one of his large fingers she tugged him down the ramp.

“They said small breaths were best, and to remain calm…” She paused at his side. “I’m here and we will do this together… I won’t leave you.” She stepped out into the world, eyes going wide behind the dark lenses. She forgot about breathing or the burning sensation in her lungs until she heard someone cough. Sound came screaming back and she sucked in a small breath of air. It was so... fresh, new. She gagged and coughed her small frame doubling over there a few steps from the ramp. She didn’t worry about moving yet.

The breathing was the hardest to overcome, more so than walking, something she was easily able to do. Though to watch her she stumbled around like Frankenstein, a movie they had on disk in the ship. She stumbled around laughing and taking it all in. Colors were brighter and the sun, that big glowing ball. She dropped to her knees and smelled the grass, dirt, even a tiny flower, something she picked and stuck behind her ear immediately. As she did so her eyes caught Alice and she waved jubilantly, an action that spoke of ‘we did it’. Her lungs burned, a constant reminder of her fragility.

Her focus went back to David, but it was hard to focus, so much was happening. “Oh, OH David look… I think it’s a tree and another and another…” She giggled excitedly and at her foolishness mixed. Anything to take his mind off of breathing or walking. When he recovered she moved slowly over to James and the place he’d directed the men to set up the tables. She attempted to run though and it caused her body to feel more strain. Handing over the bag she forgot she had, her wide smile confirming her excitability of it all.

Nodding she set about her task. Green and red folders for the eatable things were stacked on one table along with the blue folders for medicinal items, she knew it made more sense to keep all the usable things together for now and spread them out since there would be a lot of them. Opening the personal computing device she set up a database. Some items were known so this would allow them the names of the things. She made labels and stuck them to the table followed by a stack of folders in each color mentioned. Flammable, toxic and uneatable on the other table. She turned to David, “I will make sure you see the results on what is eatable, I will sketch them up later with other items so you can add them to your current recipes.”

She didn’t know about the tents, having not been privy to the conversation, she allowed her deep brown eyes flit around looking for Donovan once before guessing that he had slipped off. Eyeing the containers and marked trees she realized that was what he had done. Using her radio she sent out a soft message, “Donovan I hope you took some soldiers with you, last thing we need is to lose our ground captain the first time out.” She shook her head and smiled at David. “Would you like to help or are you just taking it all in?” She didn’t expect an answer but silently wondered what he was thinking.

Frankie smiled over her shoulder at James and Alice but said nothing. She knew he was attempting to include her in the festivities, same as she was doing to David. Each in their own way, it made her laugh as she pulled out her sketch pad to include a quick reference for David so dinner could be made without much of a hassle, though they would need more equipment from the galley. Perhaps they would just make dinner on the ship for now.

Warmth surged through his body when he felt her hands wrap around him and press him into a tight embrace. A wider smile could not form along his lips as she hugged him so tightly, finally reuniting after worry filled moments. Her legs wrapped around his waist and her ankles locked her around him tightly, passengers naturally staring at them for such a public display of affection yet they were the last thing on his mind, if at all. He pressed his neck to the side when she nuzzled it, gently caressing her skin with her cheek until she looked up at him and gently asked if anything had hurt him. His hands trailed along her slender body, and his arms moved them downwards to hold her against him at her rear, holstering her up against him so the strongest push would not have her fall from his arms.

Before he could speak a word, her lips were at his own. His smile faded in place of his lips locking with her own instead, her kiss reaching him loud and clear as they locked in a passionate seal. A hand escaped her rear to raise up and hold the back of her head, pressing her kiss against his lips a little closer, his tongue dancing with her own affectionately to allow the kiss to linger as long as it could before they would finally have to part for breath and words. And finally when that moment came, he hesitantly brushed his lips against her own and drew himself away, just enough so he could lock his eyes on her own and flash her that handsome smile once again.

He turned to the side lightly when he realized they were standing in the middle of the hallway, forgetting the world around them as they locked lips and reunited. A small blush of embarrassment flew over his face a moment when a few girls walked by them and giggled at Ozzy, one winking at him rather lewdly. He gave it no thought, and turned so Jane's back was lightly pressed against the Hallway's wall and her legs still around him, keeping enough space for people to pass this time.

"What were you asking again? A certain gorgeous being distracted me with a kiss and I forgot about everything else for a few moments."

James
James smiled at Alice as he finished getting his lab in order. "Well, it's more having you look out for me, you being a doctor and all," he jibed playfully at her. As he went through what Donovan had brought him, people started lining up for canteens filled with water. Meanwhile, people started setting up tents, which was pretty easy since it only required pressing a button on a box. As he tested an yellow colored leaf, breaking off a small piece and placing it in a vial, its reaction to the testing chemical was violent, causing a small spark of fire as the sample turned to ass. Looking at the picture that came with it, he filled out a small data sheet and put it in the orange folder. "Okay, this plant is flammable. Should be good for starting camp fire." He then chuckled as he looked to Alice. "Yes, I know we have portable stoves, but I always wanted to build a campfire and try cooking the ancient way," he said with a chuckle.

When he saw Frankie walk out with David, he went over to them, bringing them each some water. He then patted Frankie on the back. "Okay, folders and finished samples are on your table, lab and raw samples are on mine. Green folders for eatable vegetation, black for toxic, blue for medicinal. Red folders for eatable meat, grey for uneatable. And the orange folder is for flammable." He then headed back to the station beside Alice.

He next looked at the strange yellow fruit that looked like a cross between a banana and a coconut, under the peels it looked akin to an apple or pear type fruit. It didn't react to the flammability test, so that was good, and turned the biomedical solution green, so it wasn't toxic but also not medicinal, but when it turned the bio-solvent solution green, he smiled. That meant it was edible. He then tested the fruit for harmful bacteria and when it was clear it was safe to eat, he pulled the yellow peels back and broke a small piece off and took a bite. It was tangy, but sweet. I didn't really taste like anything he had eaten before, but it closest thing he could compare it too was pineapple, with maybe some vanilla and something else.

He handed a piece to Alice, smiling at her. "Wow, you have to try this," he said before yelling at Frankie. "Frankie! Come try this! Our first edible fruit!" He then took a picture of it and put it in a green folder along with a small sample. "I wonder what we should call it," he said to Alice. "Any ideas?"

To put it simply, the view as the duo stepped foot onto their new planet was.... breathtaking. A harmonious disharmony of sounds, smells, and sights all together threatened to overwhelm the giant's senses, and for a while David thought he would pass out from the beauty and excitement of it all. To say he was stunned would be to call the sun hot or to say ice was cold. The multitude of sensations around him were getting to be a bit much, and as much as he wanted to take it all in, David could feel he was beginning to feel lightheaded. It was then that he realized he had yet to breathe properly.

His lungs burning from a lack of oxygen, David tried to take a few gasping gulps of the surrounding air, and though he found the process difficult compared to what he was used to on the ship, the mere fact that the air itself seemed to have a sweetness and a life of its own spurred his lungs to continue, the oddly delicious sensation of the air filled his heart with joy as his lungs filled with life.

He attempted to walk- no small feat on this strange new world, away from the controlled gravity of Hope- and though it was tough to gain his balance and find comfortable footing at first, he knew he would master it soon enough. Like a newborn calf he moved, going forward on shaky legs as his knees and spine began to adjust and compensate to the added body weight the somewhat stronger gravity was adding to them. It would take some time to fully master a nonrestricted range of motion, but as it was David would manage just fine so long as he didnt push himself too hard.

Somebody in a uniform had come to them with kind words and a bottle of water each- a soldier, male by the looks of him- and David gingerly took the small plastic container from his hand, twisting the cap and allowing the contents to pour down his throat and nourish his body.

"It tastes.... like flavor." he mumbled, the odd sensation of having water that hadn't been treated and recycled millions of times beginning to get to him. Grasping the bag Frankie had given him, he made his way near to where the young female was working on her assigned task, and saw nothing of major import for himself to do. Only now did he truly realize how few people he actually knew- though he had lived, like his parents before him and theirs before them and so on, aboard Hope his entire life, he didn't know any of the faces in the crowds around him.

Suddenly very self-conscious, David began to blush with embarrassment at being seen. For a man as big and clumsy-looking as he, it was unusual that he was nervous when he was visible. Too much like one of those damned Nightkin... he thought, his mind shifting momentarily to a vid he had seen about an old game from before his time called Fallout. It was uncomfortable for him to be in such a position, and as such, he did the only thing he could think to do. Setting Frankie's bag down next to her worktable, the giant turned away from the main 'camp' and went off to wander by himself. He knew it wasn't exactly the best of ideas, but even though they had been told not to stray too far from camp, David felt like his thoughts were being overwritten by his instinctual desire to be out of sight.

So he left. Not too far, of course, but he told nobody of where he was going. Having never been on the planet's surface before, he knew it was a bad idea to get lost, but he told himself he would make sure to never get out of sight of the ship. Moments later he was in the distance, a solitary figure atop a nearby hill, lush green grass feeling like a little slice of fluffy heaven under his fingertips as he lied down upon the hilltop, his eyes taking in the sight of actual, real clouds rolling silently by.

"We made it, Dad." he said, his thumb fiddling around with the jade ring his father had left him, a single tear of joy rolling down his masculine face as the new sun beamed down upon him, bathing him in warmth and light. To David, it was almost as if his father himself were right there with him.

20px1qx.jpg

Donovan-

As Donovan continued to collect he could hear footsteps behind him in the distance. A smile came across his face and he simply continued to collect and label different things as he went along. When Frankie came through on the communicator Donovan laughed lightly before answering, "I didn't bring any soldiers with me but I got two on my tail, I'll have to thank Ozzy for that when I get back" ,he paused for a moment to adjust the bag he had slung over his shoulder. "I'm on my way back now, I've collected quite a bit for James to look at I'll see ya soon". With that he placed his communicator on his belt then started making his way back to the ship, following the marks he had left in various places to guide him back.

When he got back to the ship Donovan immediately took a drink of water after setting down what he found. After drinking the water he separated the containers and bags of different things he had found so that it would be easier for James to go through when he got to it. Donovan then made his way over to a tree away from the others and sat down at it's base to relax a bit before attempting to head away from the ship again.

When he walked away she sighed, she saw the blush and knew that all of this was making him feel way too exposed. Silently she watched him go, noting the direction so if she needed to go after him later it wouldn’t be so hard. Donovan’s voice crackled to life and pulled her from her thoughts. Smiling she glanced toward the ship, good ole Ozzy. A thrill of excitement wound its way through her body at seeing the things he collected. She responded with a soft, “Can’t wait to get my hands on those samples.” And was letting go of the button and sketching again.

Frankie blinked at him and gave him a thought, he could help her keep a look out for David and he knew the land better already. Seeing him alone she paused in her work and ambled to his side with a full canteen. “Here, take this with you… it’s the fresh stuff.” She sank beside him, crouching so her ass was pressed into her heels. “When you go back out, can you keep an eye out for David…? I don’t want him to get hurt or lost.” She wasn’t embarrassed by the care she showed for him, it would be that way for any of them.

Giving his shoulder a gentle pat of thanks she stood. “Let me know before you go, I’ll point you in the direction he went.” She smiled down at him before moving quickly back to the tables. It was a job and though her curiosity about the land had been peaked the moment she stepped from the ship, she knew she and James had to keep everyone safe. The items that were deemed safe were gathered and samples passed around for all to taste. The fruit James had given her, for example, David should have been there to taste. It was delicious and only he would know what to make with it. Like assisting James both jobs she was no expert at.

Frankie took each folder given to her and placed them in their proper spot, each new discovery made her heart leap. It was all a dream the day before; never had she ever thought this would come true. Biting her lower lip she thought of David, he’d want his privacy and though they were friends she respected that. Her tent would house her alone tonight, Alice and James, Ozzy and Jane. The sigh that left her lips was a bit sad, someday someone would ask her to share their space… but until the she’d just keep plucking along. Why rush something that needed such care anyway? The thought made her smile; it was something her mother had always said… too bad she didn’t make it to see it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom