Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Breakout! (Story, Chapter 1 - Crash)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarenNelson

Super-Earth
The journey was about to begin. Each of the inmates had been checked out of his cell, put in prison fatigues, and marched out onto the tarmac, to where the van waited. The driver was already behind the wheel. He seemed disinterested in the goings-on. A couple of times, he had given the inmates a disgusted look, like this was a shit-wagon and they were the load of excrement in the tank.

As the prisoners were marched out, handcuffed in front, with leg-shackles, they were assembled in a line. Two prison guards stood about twenty feet away with rifles. A female guard stepped out about eight feet in front of them. "My name is Erica," she said, clearly and professionally. "As you are no doubt aware, you are being transported to the Lone Tree Penitentiary, there to begin serving your respective sentences. The trip is expected to take approximately two and one-half hours."

She paced in front of them. "I have no information on your accommodations or cell assignments at the prison. You'll learn those at orientation, at Lone Tree. This trip can be as pleasant or as painful as you would like. Respect me and I'll do likewise to you. Give me a hard time, and I can more than return the favor." She turned a bit to reveal pepper spray, Taser and shock baton in her belt. "The State pays me just the same either way. During the trip, you will remain handcuffed, and one of your leg-shackles will be chained to a metal bar running down the length of the back of the van.

"I understand that you probably really don't want to go where we're going. I don't hold that against you. You may have thought about pulling the old 'sick prisoner' trick to try and gain an opportunity to escape. Sorry, no such luck. Even if one of you gets sick, no matter how badly, the journey to Lone Tree goes on. Under no circumstances will anyone be permitted to leave the van until we are in the secured new arrivals yard at Lone Tree. The medtechs will check you out there. The same goes for bathroom breaks--there are none. You had the chance to use the toilet moments ago. If you have to piss or shit, hold it. If you can't hold it, you do it right there, in your clothes, in your seat. I tell you this so you can avoid wasting everyone's time and energy.

"Any questions?"

RE: Breakout! (Chapter 1 - Crash)

John looked around to see who he was getting shipped off with, an to find out if he knew an of his other transportees, if only by their rep.

Maze was the one the stood out the most to him, the guy was as close to being a Psycho as John was, but John had him beat in that area, the doctor gave up trying to diagnose what mental problems he had, as it seemed that he was toying with them and all the test were inconclusive, or maybe he had so many that it was a crap shoot to narrow them down to a small list.

The other two he did not know, not from his cell block, he might know something about them if he knew what their names were, but he was not about to ask, he was just going to stay quite, bide his time an wait till he had an opportunity to do something.

As for him, he was pretty sure people would know who he was, his hand were not something he could hide and if any one knew his rep, would know on sight who he was when they saw his hands. two very badly scalded hand from having scalding hot water poured on then while he was young. he still could us his hands with not trouble, but he could not hide the burns, not with out a pair of gloves.

Alex was having a good day to be honest with you. He never had a problem in the yard, no fools who try to pull stunts at the mess hall and he was a little surprise that showers went by smoothly compared to what's on the tv.

Free place to stay, gym membership, books AND internet plus he didn't do that dumb shit like cleaning up on the side of the road, no picking rocks or making licence plates why didn't he take the heat for his boss years ago.

the only problem was that where wasn't women around hell most of the women here looked like dykes to him anyway so he wasn't going to touch that shit. He been busting nuts we he needed to avoid blue balls and not jumping at something even remotely womanly unlike one of the immates he saw fucking jello that he made in his toliet.

Masturbation can only get you so far until it's just not the same. Seeing this Erica was like a breath of fresh air to him even if he was only short lived he can use her image for later on for where ever he was going.

"Yea I got a question are they transporting our possions to the jail we are going to as well? It going to be a pain in the ass to get relase only to get a ride to come back here to pick up my clothes and wallet."

It wasn't the fact that he cared about his things as he cared if there was going to be another car following them, it not that he didn't understand why compared to John and Maze, Alex was a fucking boy scout.

He could see Maze doing some fucked up shit with him wildin out at his trial. Then again you always have to watch out for the quiet ones and John was for sure not a talker and you will never know what is going on inside his head; so a close but safe distance was on when ever he was around him.

Freestylechamp said:
"Yea I got a question are they transporting our possions to the jail we are going to as well? It going to be a pain in the ass to get relase only to get a ride to come back here to pick up my clothes and wallet."

Erica nodded. "Your personal possessions will be transported in another vehicle in the next day or two. I can't guarantee you'll be allowed to have access to them. Policies are different at Lone Tree than at County. But they'll be safe and returned to you when you get out, regardless."

Martin sat in the back corner, sitting by himself, perfectly quiet as he looked around himself. His eyes focused looking like that of a wolf whom was currently caged. He didn't need to tell anyone anything of those whom happened to be around him at that moment. He knew that this trip would be taken with the worst of the worst, and thus, the group would be filled with people whom you had to be as careful around as possible. He could tell the degree of insanity in most of them was rather high as well.

He listened to the comments by the guard, and the others, He wasn't happy that the items they would normally have were on a different vehicle, meaning out of his reach, but he would adapt, figure something out. He was good at that type of thing, blend in, be no one, figure out lay of the land, and then do what you needed to do, to advance yourself. He figured if he did that, no matter where he was, it would work out decently.

Alex nods "Alright then since all of the pleasantries are out the way can we just get on with it." He was getting slightly irrated by not being able to do anything being chained to everyone else. " I have all day to rot in a jail cell the lease you guy could do will be a little speedy about it, These cuffs can't stay on forever."

Erica shrugged at Alex's impatience. She gestured to a couple of guards, and without further discussion the prisoners were bundled into and chained into their seats. Martin ended up in front, with Alex in the center left, and David in the center right. John ended up in the back. The metal screen separating the prisoners from Erica and the driver, who sat in the front, was clanged into position and secured.

The van rumbled out of the jail, and onto the highway. It was about an hour after sunrise, and the last of the morning commuter traffic was still jamming the road. But it didn't take long for the van to get out of the city and onto the Interstate, where movement was quite a bit faster. The driver tooled along at 75 or so, so the miles went by reasonably fast. The driver had put on a twangy country radio station (the van was State issue, with the original factory AM radio). Martin could hear it well enough, but by the time it got back to John, the sound had pretty much petered out and he only caught bits and pieces of it.

The journey was an hour underway when the van left the Interstate and got onto a rural two-lane road with not much traffic. The country station was getting a bit sketchy as the van began its ascent into the hills. "We've made slightly better time than usual, so we've only got a bit over an hour left," Erica announced to the group.

Then Tim McGraw's crooning voice utterly went off the radio. Irritated, the driver thumped the dash. "Damn wiring must be--"

There was a trilling sound. The Emergency Alert System. "Oh for fuck's sake," the driver said. The sound was interspersed with static as the signal got sketchy. "Another of their damn tests. We just had this shit yesterday."

"Strange," Erica said, "they only test once a month. That's--"

A voice came onto the radio, walked over and splattered with static.

"This...not a test. All...take cover. Radar...incoming objects...America...west..." The static grew too strong for the voice to be heard.

"Is this some sort of practical joke?" The drive sounded bemused. "Must be like when those hackers programmed it to talk about zombies and shit--"

The radio said a few more words. "Basement or other underground shelter...subway...now..." More crackling. "Repeat...incoming objects detected..." Then the voice went silent, and there was only the hiss and crackle of static.

John was not liking what he was hearing, or rather what he was not hearing, the static radio signal was not a good sigh and them being on a back road was not good either. But was it really some thing to worry about or was it just his paranoia speaking.

"Hey maybe we should get back on the main roads." John called out to the front, he was not liking this, his gut was getting a bad feeling and he trusted his guy more then the voices or other people, in that order.

then John started to watch out side the windows, he knew at lest one thing the kept him alive thing long, keep your eye's and ears open and always be on the look out.

With_Out_strings said:
"Hey maybe we should get back on the main roads." John called out to the front, he was not liking this, his gut was getting a bad feeling and he trusted his guy more then the voices or other people, in that order.

The driver shouted back, "Mr. Felon, When I want your opinion I'll give it to you. I don't care if it is a fucking zombie apocalypse. We don't have to beat the zombies, you know. Just the slowest camper. Who right now is wearing leg shackles. I'm not wearing any shackles. Sweet-cheeks here isn't wearing any shackles. So we don't have jack shit to worry about. You're the one with something to worry about Mr. Felon, but that's tough titty for you now, ain't it?"

Erica's facial expression was one of quiet disdain for the driver's rant. She even shook her blonde head a bit. "Hank, all that's well and good, but shouldn't we call into base? See if there's anything out there we should know about?"

"Cell service out here sucks," Hank said curtly. "Ain't no signal."

"Mr. Felon, When I want your opinion I'll give it to you. I don't care if it is a fucking zombie apocalypse. We don't have to beat the zombies, you know. Just the slowest camper. Who right now is wearing leg shackles. I'm not wearing any shackles. Sweet-cheeks here isn't wearing any shackles. So we don't have jack shit to worry about. You're the one with something to worry about Mr. Felon, but that's tough titty for you now, ain't it?"

He was maybe right about one thing, he did have leg shackles on, but a man with a broken leg moves even slower the a man in shackles, it was just a matter of finding a guy and then breaking his leg or knee cap or ankle, hell hips were a little tougher to break, but they hurt a whole lot more and if this was a zombie apocalypse them zombies would go after the screamer first, draw all the attention away from every one else.

Alex sighed being in the center in the van sucked ass now with being infront of everyone to see he looks around and can see that something is wrong he could feel it and his sense of danger hasn't lie to him yet. "Two things wrong that statement, first If all hell breaks loose in such a tight space we could easily take control of the van cause you wouldn't use deadly force unless you want to be a bullet short and one less of a meat shield and second just because their no stops there is always an exception to the rule and this would be one of them. Hey you don't have to listen clearly us immates hacked into the radio station to you you guys while we have a car waiting across the bend to get away." As irrating as Alex was trying to be he also knew what he was talking about, and wanted to know how they would respond to his facts.

David had been uncharacteristically calm the entire morning. After the little 'baton party' some of the guards had had with him the night before, it was understandable that the purple-haired upstart didn't feel like talking very much. In his short time in his current lodgings (read: prison) he had learned very quickly that his mouth often got him into more trouble and pain than he was used to receiving. Especially since the guards tended to carry hard, blunt objects, and blunt objects tended to hurt. As he was loaded into the van at that ungodly hour- David wasn't used to waking up before noon- he did a once over on the female guard who seemed to have a bad habit. Namely, talking.

Christ in heaven, does this bitch love the sound of her own voice. Not too hard on the eyes though, if one could look past the aforementioned blunt object on her person. he thought. David's swollen, purple eye began to throb with the mere memory of nightstick making contact with face. The relatively young malcontent sat down quietly, trying his damndest to avert his eyes from the female prison guard, instead deciding to turn his attention to the situation at hand, namely the mind crushing, soul-numbing boredom that was the transport ride.

He decided to risk a quick glance around the interior, noticing few other inmates besides himself. He knew his own past, but a few of these others he could only vaguely recall. Of course, there was John- who could forget the killer who had not only made the news headlines for some of the shit he'd pulled, but had also made David's rap sheet look like a traffic citation? The other two he didn't have the faintest idea as to who they were- one was some big shot who seemed to be the 'mob' type, and the other one- the creeper in the back- hadn't even registered on his radar until about an hour after they had departed. Admittedly, David could hardly think straight on account of the painful recollection of the last nights events. Thankfully, the guards had spared him the sodomite treatment.

When the driver- Hank, he had overheard Erica call him- began ranting about the radio having gone to shit (to the great pleasure of David's ears- Country music, as Maze had once put it so eloquently, was only for closet fag rednecks and inbred retards who cared more for fucking their cousins and any farm animals nearby than they did for music with any taste) David began to perk up. Having been raised on a steady diet of violent media and video games, his first reaction was one that would've made sense to any person who had ever read up on the power of the fruits of the Manhattan Project.

"No... no fucking way, it's really happened then? Some stupid government fuckwit decided to push the big red button and blow us to kingdom come!?" he said with increasing fervor. The words fell from his mouth like a waterfall, the panic in his voice rising- it could've been paranoia for all anybody really knew, but dammit if David didn't believe his conclusion wholeheartedly.

"DRIVER! Hey, Hee-Haw, open the damn gate and get us the hell out of here! Those bombs don't give a half a damn about you any bullshit you may have against us, just let us the fuck out of here RIGHT NOW!" he roared, slamming his fists against the metal grating as hard as he could, which wasnt very hard considering the fact that he was shackled to the railing running down the length of the van, his panic becoming more apparent as the look in his eyes grew more and more wild.

Great Maze was making a scene and while John like a show even now and again, but Maze was going all out and was Going to shed those extra pounds off by grating them on the steel mesh.

John wondered how long it would be before get started to bleed and the girl had to open up and give him first aid, cause she could not let him keep on harming him self, it look bad on her to show up with her charge looking like hamburger meat.

" You know Erica I don't think that lone tree will be to happy with you once they find out you let one of your prisoner turn his self in to ground chuck." Josh said with a smile.

"Not that I care, what happens right here right now." he said trying his best to taunt the guard.

Millenium Joker said:
may have against us, just let us the fuck out of here RIGHT NOW!" he roared, slamming his fists and head against the metal grating, his panic becoming more apparent as the look in his eyes grew more and more wild.[/size]

OOC: David is in the center of the van, with a leg shackled to the floor. He isn't able to slam himself up against the grating...stretching as far as possible, he can punch it with his fist just hard enough to rattle it a bit, but that's it.

OOC: Sorry, I got hit with a blizzard of work this week. Almost dug my way out of it now. I should have an update for this out this evening or tomorrow.

The driver gave David a bemused glance. "And here we were doing so well until now. Just shut your pie-hole already, will ya for Chrissakes?" But David, in his agitated state, ranting about bombs and doomsday, seemed to have no inclination to close that fabled orifice anytime soon. "Shut up or you'll be eating through a straw when we get to Lone Tree, I promise you that," the driver shouted back.

"Look, the driver knows some screws up at Lone Tree," Erica said to David quietly. "So calm down now, do us all a favor, okay?"

Alex looked around and they paid no attentions to warnings he sighed as the other guys went crazy, but it was pointless they where prisoners and these guys could do whatever they wanted too. "If your not going to listen to the warning signs or panic ass over here could you at least turn the radio to something else so we can tune him out back here." what he was worry about was the static he hoped he could maybe hear what was going on outside on another station.

John was doing the math, so to say as he got more and more info, with three convicts on a bus, two guards, some unknown event happening away from where they were and the five of them on a back road some place, just added up to nothing but trouble, he needed to know more but he had no way of getting more info cause the guard had nothing my iron rods stuck up their assholes.

An Maze was freaking out was just going to make thing worse, the only person that had his head on straight was Alex, if John had the ability to talk to him in privately maybe they could hatch a plan. but the chains he wore put a stop to that idea.

" Yeah what he said" John yell out agreeing with Alex, he might not be able to talk to Alex but they were thinking on the same wavelength, even if the two of them did not know it.

KarenNelson said:
"Look, the driver knows some screws up at Lone Tree," Erica said to David quietly. "So calm down now, do us all a favor, okay?"

"Nothing is going to help, not the doctors, not the medications I don't need to take, and certainly not the enormous prick driving this deathtrap who seems intent on killing everybody in here, including you!" Shouted David at the female guard before him, his anger seeming to abate for a moment before surging back up. Like an ant scrabbling for higher ground as a flood threatened to destroy the colony, Maze's panic was slowly growing more intense.

"I know I'm not one of those good guys you see on the telly, I know that the bad guy always loses, Superman always beats Darkseid, and that you think you know what you are doing, but I promise you this..." He said, his voice sounding increasingly stressed. "If something happens to us here, forget your job being to keep us safe and deliver us to another hole. If something happens to us, can you live with that, sweet cheeks? Can you sleep at night knowing you have blood on your hands? Get. Us. Out of here." Said the distressed Maze, sitting back down as he began to tug at his restraints, never breaking eye contact with Erica, completely oblivious to what his fellow inmates were trying to do.

"Oh for fuck's sake," the driver started, but Erica cut him off.

"Look, the guy's got a point." She reached over to the radio, turning the dial. There was only a background hiss and static. "KNBR is off the air. That's a 100-kilowatt clear-channel station. They're never off the air. There's a gas station about two miles ahead. We're stopping there--"

"Regulations say--"

"Fuck regulations," Erica barked. "This is a special situation. They have a landline. We'll stop there. The prisoners will remain secured. You'll guard them, I'll run in and use their phone to call Base. Find out what the frak is going on here. If everything's on the level and someone was just messing with radio broadcasts, we'll be on our way. If not, we'll get instructions from them on how to proceed. In case you forgot, I do outrank you. So I'm pulling rank. There's a dirt road with a farm, and a quarter mile past that, the gas station. Pull off when we get there. I'll bring you back coffee and donuts for your troubles."

Alex sighed and relaxed a little. His words were finally getting to them so it was good to that he could still reason with the female guard at least. He didn't say anything and looked around even more but he just waited for them.

KarenNelson said:
"Oh for fuck's sake," the driver started, but Erica cut him off.

"Look, the guy's got a point." She reached over to the radio, turning the dial. There was only a background hiss and static. "KNBR is off the air. That's a 100-kilowatt clear-channel station. They're never off the air. There's a gas station about two miles ahead. We're stopping there--"

"Regulations say--"

"Fuck regulations," Erica barked. "This is a special situation. They have a landline. We'll stop there. The prisoners will remain secured. You'll guard them, I'll run in and use their phone to call Base. Find out what the frak is going on here. If everything's on the level and someone was just messing with radio broadcasts, we'll be on our way. If not, we'll get instructions from them on how to proceed. In case you forgot, I do outrank you. So I'm pulling rank. There's a dirt road with a farm, and a quarter mile past that, the gas station. Pull off when we get there. I'll bring you back coffee and donuts for your troubles."

John watch the two guards, the girl Erica seem to have a brain, while the driver well he was sort of was treating the whole lot of them like they were zoo animals being moved for one exhibit to the next and did not care what happen to them on the trip, so he might be a problem, maybe even a threat, but every one on this bus was a threat, just depend upon what kind of threat an how dangerous they could be.

If John had to pick his targets right now, he had to say that the Girl was the first that had to go, then the driver then maybe Maze, Alex was an unknown, he might be a more of a threat then the girl, but maybe be no threat at all. there was no way to be sure right now, so he might as well just kill them all, since they could all be enemies right now, that was till they could prove themselves an ally, but allies don't come easy in prison.

Erica looked ahead, and then back at the prisoners, standing in front of Martin, just on the other side of the screen. "Keep watching for the turnoff," Erica said.

"Sure thing, sweet-cheeks."

Erica glared his direction, but said nothing. She sat back down, belted herself in, realizing there was nothing to be further gained by talking with Hank. She swiveled her chair so she could watch the prisoners.

As it turned out, that little act probably saved her life.

Martin was the first one to see it as the prison van rounded a corner. Coming the other way, about a hundred yards ahead, was an RV with some crap meshed or tied to the top of it, its speedometer hitching about three-fourths of the way from the 30 to the 40 hashmark. The driver, a middle-aged man looking something like Chevy Chase, had the gas almost to the floor, but that was about all the Winnebago was going to give him after the third mile of a 4% grade.

That wasn't good enough for the two cars of college kids out to enjoy every moment of spring break. They were in a convoy, and when the leader hit the gas and began to slalom around the RV in his Beamer, the dude behind did likewise in his Lexus, riding about fifteen feet from the bumper of the leader. The fact there were still two parallel yellow lines along the center of the highway seemed to matter little, though there was in fact a passing lane two and a half miles ahead.

When the driver of the State van saw the college kids rocketing around the RV, he had about three seconds to do something to avoid a collision. The driver of the first car stepped on his brakes to drop back, but with his friends right behind him, he had nowhere to go. The driver of the RV slowed down, unwittingly compounding the problem.

Of course, events unfolded in far less time than it takes to read about them.

Hank stepped on the brakes and steered onto the shoulder. The maneuver was executed decently well, with a squealing of tires and a shaking-up of the occupants of the van. If not for the scattering of gravel some truck had spilled onto the shoulder recently, the van might well have remained on the road, with a few rattled molars and shaken nerves the sole consequences.

But the van lost traction on the gravel, skidding off the shoulder of the road. The vehicle began rolling downslope through brush and got slapped by a small tree, starring one of the side windows. The driver cussed, trying to steer the thing, but his turns of the wheel were more like vague recommendations. After about five seconds of that, the van turned, glancing off another tree, somehow remaining upright before side-swiping a rock outcropping, and coming to rest at the edge of a 50' drop. The rock outcropping broke the side window, showering the inmates with glass.

Hank tried to get up, but couldn't...the collision with the rock had dented in the front left side of the van, pinning his leg. He batted back the airbag, now mostly deflated, that had save him from being thrown forward and snapping his leg and probably a couple ribs too.

Erica looked back at the inmates. She could see none had been seriously injured. Max had a cut from the shattered glass, and John had slammed his arm into the side. It was not broken; perhaps it was lightly sprained.

"Erica, just sit tight," Hank said. "When the airbag deployed, the OnStar was notified. They'll have someone...out here. How are the prisoners?"

"They're fine," Erica said. "A little shook up. But we need to get you out of there."

"They'll pick up the OnStar, they'll know this is a priority--"

"Hank, you heard the radio. With everything going on, we're probably the least of anyone's worries." She unbelted herself--the van was leaning to the left at about a 20-degree angle. "You're bleeding. We need to get the bleeding stopped." She opened the passenger side door, clambered out of the van. Did a circle around, then came to the driver's side. Tried to open the door. Came back around to the passenger side, reached under the seat, took out a crowbar.

She turned to look at Martin. "Do you want to help?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom