Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

D&D 3.5 One on One: Order's Conquest Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
"it is doubtful you could touch him." The Knight rasped at Syffrid. his... misguided morals make him weak, but he would still defeat you. he feels that what we do is wrong but we can be guided back." A grating laugh echos forth "he does not know what he is in for. our purpose is of a higher calling. we need not fear him, just handle him properly next time. "As for you, you know not what you speak of." The Knight hissed at it's servant in it's mind. "I simply showed that not even my full power is needed to defeat him. Next time he will not be so lucky."

"night has fallen, and this speaking leaves the throat sore. if you need no more of me, then leave me to rest." The Knight commands, waving away it's commanders.

The three nod, and leave. The servant cackles softly, but does not reply. When the Knight finally falls asleep, it is to a dream that isn't a dream, but a talk with it's new divine patron...

"Your past has come back to haunt you. Who is this 'Zeheris' to you?" The being asked, recreating an image of Zeheris in the dreamscape with a wave of it's hand. "Your time before service to me is clouded. And such an opponent to your plans must be considered carefully. And the name he spoke... it affected you greatly. Why?" A gleam of consideration and interest in the being's eye. It had talks like this with the Knight at least once a month, but as the connection between the two deepened, the amount increased. It was currently about 6 times a month at most. (The being can visit the Shadow Knight's dreams once per Blackguard level a month.)

"He was a former comrade, nothing more. Both he and the name he spoke. I was outraged initially, but that name.... holds no sway over me now. I could beat Zeheris even with the distraction. It proves I was right." The Knight responded to it's patron. In this dream world the Knight was depicted in the way it saw itself. The suit of black armor was standing before it's unearthly patron, but there was obviously nothing inside. That armor and the power that came with wearing it, the denial of self, had become a part of the Knight now. "I shall spread the word of law as you asked, I still bear your mark. I am in your service...." The Knight finished. It's voice was not the raspy cracking whisper or the booming grating yell it had been before. Here it was a meek humbled sigh. With a softer, musical hint at the edges, giving just a glimpse as to what the Knight had formerly been.

"I shall take your word then, that _______ means nothing to you, then." The being said, watching the Knight's reaction intently. "But you speak true, you still spread true law, and you still bear my mark. Now, how do you plan to deal with the Mulhorandi? They will have an agent inform them of your leadership at some point. It is against their desires for you to unite Murghom into a single government." The being said, curious how the Shadow Knight planned to deal with them.

"There are two ways to deal with them. Bring them to heel or remove the threat they prevent. Unless my liege has spies within them that I might use, then either I must gain control.... or kill them all." The Knight replied simply. "They impede the spread of law and order, thus they must be dealt with. But that shall happen when the time comes. Our power base is not secure enough yet as I am sure you well know lord." The Knight hesitated for a moment. "But it shall be shortly."

The being nods, then flares hellfire for a moment, and the mark on the Knight burns. The armor melts away in the dream, for a brief moment. "Remember your contract, little knight. For True Law." The flames reveal the being as Asmodeus, with Ruby Rod in hand, decadent refinery, a handsomeness that is quite... devilish, and eyes of burning red, that gleam with malevolent glee. With a gesture, everything falls into darkness...

The Knight awakens.

The Knight awakens with a sharp pain as is normal after meetings with it's unholy patron. After several long deep breaths the Knight rises and prepares for the meeting today. These people wished to discuss details? There was little to discuss. The rules were very clear, and the punishments absolute. A few of the Knight's personal army would be left here to help make sure they keep order right, and if any of these lowly officials object? Well disobeying your higher ups is against the law... Today would go well.

The Knight finally stepped out from the tent to look over the camp, awaiting it's commanders and Judge so they could head into town. On further reflection, Judge would be a fitting keeper of the peace for the first few weeks. He so enjoyed holding court, and executing criminals.

The army is up and at ease, awaiting orders. Syffrid is lounging against a gate wall, greatsword held point in the ground. Elisha comes out of her tent a minute or so later, her ghoul guardians ready at a moment's notice. The messenger from before is at the gate, clearly awaiting them.

The Knight's entourage reached the gates, with the Knight at it's head. A simple gesture of the gauntleted hand shows that the Knight wishes to get moving toward the meeting. Judge grins a little as he follows behind the Knight, anticipating what he might be charged with if someone objects to their rule. Anticipating and hungry for it.

The messenger nods, getting the message. He leads them to a large, if simply built courthouse, and opens the door. Inside, the entire building is one room. There are chairs for the populace doing the democratic discussion, and a table shaped like a U for the elected officials. The town's Elder, Sheriff, and Mayor are seated there, along with a young man. The young man looks out of place, being just over twenty compared to the fifty plus old men he's seated with. Eager and nervous, the young man is the second son of Baron Thadeus Koch, Sir Gysel, recently knighted, if the Shadow Knight's memory serves correctly. The elder three seem resigned, and slightly optimistic.

"We have come" begins Judge, before the Knight places a hand on his shoulder. Slowly, the Knight steps forward until it towers over the seated people. "I have no time for pleasantries or the dancing words of diplomacy. I ask one simple question. Do you accept the rule of true law?" The Knight rasped in a chocked and crackling voice. It sounded painful, both to those who heard it and for the one speaking. As if the speakers voice were cracking and breaking apart as the words issued forth. "If you accept. Judge will be left to ensure you follow the laws. If you do not. I WILL PERSONALLY BURN THIS PLACE TO THE GROUND!" The Knight finished, the voice quickly changing to the harsh grinding and grating it had used in the courtyard. With this ultimatum, the knight drew it's sword and planted it in the ground in front of it, leaning on the hilt awaiting the leader's response. It was probably not what the three had expected.

"We... We accept." The Elder said, trying to stay calm despite the obvious fear etched in his voice and face. The others are to paralyzed to move, and even Sir Gysel seems cast in stone from fear. "We just wanted to discuss tithing and the like, bring up the local conditions and requirements for survival. We were not trying to anger you." Sir Gysel seems to have regained a little of his courage. "My father wished for a discussion about selling the land to you, so that there aren't any legal disputes brought up elsewhere." He states, managing to say this calmly, and regain his composure. A mental ping informs the Shadow Knight that Elisha wishes to speak mentally. Elisha cast a spell that each willing person was able to communicate to each other, so far just the Judge, Elisha, and the Shadow Knight.

The Knight indicated that it would hear Elisha speak. With a tilt of the head, Judge was signaled to step forward. "All of that will be dealt with in due time. It was simply felt you needed to understand that gravity of your situation." He seemed a little surprised at the outburst as well, but was maintaining composure better than most. It seemed that recent events had gotten to the once seemingly unshakable Knight.

"We understand." The Elder said, and the others nodded their heads in agreement. Elisha communicates to the Shadow Knight, "We've found a spy. She's currently held in a Secure Shelter spell, awaiting interrogation. I wasn't sure if you wanted to be there for it or not. Also, Syffrid is brawling again. Some local strong man. It started as an arm wrestling contest, and has turned into a fist fight. I don't _think_ it will go further, but I'm informing you, just in case." Elisha said, before closing the mental link again.

A spy? Well now that could be interesting. Who or what would send a spy here now? The Knight knew that beginning conquest would attract the attention of some powerful figures, but had not counted on a spy yet, at least not one so inept as to be captured so soon. With a nod to the gathered individuals, The Knight left Judge to continue deliberating with the officials, turning to head out of the room. The knight lifted and resheathed the massive blade as it did so, figuring the demonstration had been a bit much. But something was aggrrivating it since the meeting with the Lord. He normally did not bother that much, but this time the meeting felt... awkward, bad, made the Knight angry. This anger had to be removed, to better let the laws influence action.

The Secure Shelter was rather obvious. It was in the middle of the main street, in view of all to see. Syffrid was still having a fist fight with a well-muscled man, but both seemed to enjoy it...
Several of Elisha's ghoul guards stood in front of the entrance, with presumably the rest inside with her. The ghouls bow at the Shadow Knight's presence, and allow the Knight entrance. Inside, Elisha stands in front of a rather plain woman, unremarkable from any other around these parts. "My Liege." Elisha bows. The woman tied to the chair looks at the Shadow Knight, determination plain on her face.

The Knight looked down at the woman. She certainly seemed like she would make a good spy. Plainness would make her harder to suspect, and allow for blending in, but then what gave her away. And why was she so determined looking. "I assume you have not begun interrogating her?" the Knight rasped. "Has she said anything without prompting?

"Only light interrogation, and no, she hasn't said a word." Elisha replied. "She was caught when the ledge she was laying on to eavesdrop fell out from under her. It had rotted through a good bit, but wasn't visible from the outside."

"Interesting. Give me a moment with the prisoner. Alone." The Knight said, the cracking raspy voice growing a little softer. Still not used to speaking as much, the recent outburst of vocalizations have led to fatigue in the voice of the Knight. "I shall interrogate her personally."

Elisha nods. "Very well, My Liege." Then she leaves, taking her ghoul guards with her. The prisoner stares at the Shadow Knight, expression unchanged.

After the guards left, the Knight simply stood, staring at the prisoner for a long moment. Considering what to do about interrogation. There were several options available, but none that seemed quite enough, or reasonable enough to do. So the Knight simply stared in silence for a long moment.

The spy returns the stare, blinking intermittently. She seems unfazed by the silent treatment, and waits for the Shadow Knight to make the first move.

Bad luck on her part, that ledge. Otherwise, she wouldn't be here, staring at a shadowed figure that her clients wanted information on. She had been sent to keep an eye out for a shift of power. She figured her country's mages or clerics had detected something, and the rulers wanted to keep anything that could challenge their grasp of power in sight. Preferably under their control, or within backstabbing range. The knight's armor would be frightening to the unhardened, but it was the faint, barely detectable aura that bothered her. There was a tint of... malevolence, she supposed. Dark, at the very least.

After many minutes of silence the Knight made a sound, a raspy, grating sound, a sound that no human had any right making. It was reminiscent of the death rattle of a wolf, only more cacophonous. Then the realization struck the spy. It was laughter. "You wanted to be caught, didn't you little spy? At least I sincerely hope so. I would be offended if my foes sent someone so... Stupid as to fall off of a ledge and get caught." The Knight said, emphasizing the word stupid with it's growling angry voice. But this time it was somewhat different. Less raspy sounding.

The spy tilts her head, the slightest of smiles on her face, but nothing else.

It had been in the cards. She had just wanted to get caught later, not now. She had wanted to switch faces, and not use her 'crowd' face. She had already sent the required message to her clients. Even now, she figured she could escape. But partly in interest of more information for said clients, and partly in curiosity of this dark figure, she had let herself be caught. So far, she hadn't been in serious danger. Well, anymore than being in range of spellcasters and warriors was dangerous, anyways. She wasn't doing what she was because she wanted a safe life, after all.

"You use little words... that is a shame. Normally I would simply ask you a question. Then you would either answer or not. If you did, you would be executed rather painlessly. If you did not, well..." The Knight lifted it's right hand and a sinister looking red/black glow surrounded it. "I have methods. But that's not going to work now... If I am to spread the grip of true law I will need to play this filthy politics game." The glow fades quickly and a sigh issues forth from the Knight's helm. "And you are a part of that, am I correct?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom