Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

D&D 3.5 One on One: Order's Conquest Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Faerun Campaign, Starting Level 15

In the midst of a chaotic country, a dark figure has begun to bring order to the land. Beings called shades have returned to Faerun, all manner of savage creatures have been agitated, and the Year of Wild Magic has already filled the world with surprises. But in Fort Starkmer, a knight has conquered chaos, and brought order to Phannaskull. But this figure's self appointed task has just begun. This black armored person intends to bring order to every part of Faerun that they can, by whatever means necessary. With aide from allies and a loyal army, this figure will see how far their dark gauntleted fist can reach. It has been a tenday since this Shadow Knight has cleared Fort Starkmer of the monsters within it, and claimed it for the figure's army. The town of Phannaskull has just sent a messenger, accepting that it falls under Fort Starkmer's immediate rule. Only in the coming days will the Shadow Knight's rulership and might be tested, for hidden agents have begun to spread word, and those interested have begun to plan a response to this recent change, and possible new player in politics.

The messenger found himself standing in the main hall of Fort Starkmer. What had once served as a great hall where many men feasted and enjoyed their time off duty, and more recently had served as a lair for several unsavory beasts had again gone through a renovation. This time though, the purpose was more sinister. At the back of the hall seated in a large stone chair sat the Knight. An imposing figure in black plate. The armor was a horrifying mass of wickedly spiked and sharpened metal. The image of a frowning demon, mouth full of jagged teeth dominated the front. Strangely, the sharp and harshness of the images hinted at a former softer engraving. Each demonic visage appeared a twisted angel's, and the sharp edges once might have been soft curves and accents. A twisted vision of fallen grace. The helm was simple in comparison to the rest of the armor. Where the plate was horrifyingly shaped and engraved, the helm was a simple black bucket. The twin eye slits however seemed to look into nothingness. Filled with shadow and hinting at a greater terror than the exterior revealed. Strapped to the back of the stone chair was a massive sword. It was also black but this was not the dark color of the adamantine plating. This was a darkness that consumed all light that touched it. The mere sight of this blade could fill one with dread more than the rest of the Knight's appearance. From the blackness, if one's eyes stared too long at the abyss of a blade, the words "Law Above All" would appear, for they were carved into the side of this terrible hunk of metal. This was the Knight, whoms rule was simple but harsh. The law is above all else, and the penalty for violating this most sacred rule... was death.

Standing to the right of this horror was a different sort of monster. A... human of some kind wearing long shapeless robes. On the robes the symbol of a scale was etched. However unlike the scales of justice one is normally familiar with, these scales did not end in plates for one's sins to be weighed against one's actions. The arms ended in a headman's axe on one side, and the blade of a guillotine on the other. These were the scales of absolute law, where the only verdict is guilty. Other than this, and a simple corded belt, this person wore little else. Known only as Judge, this monk had come to serve under the Knight for during his meditations, something must have snapped and he believed in the absolute unyielding law that the Knight spread. Judge's head was shaven bare, and eyes were permanently ringed from always serving at the Knight's side. Once, Judge must have been a man, possibly, but now the only thing one saw when they looked at this thing was the promise of swift judgement, and even swifter execution. Judge spoke as the messenger approached the pair tentatively. "What say your people? Will they accept our most perfect of law? Or are they all GUILTY of denying its rule?"

"W-we have accepted your liege's rule. T-they would like to discuss some of the finer details. I-if that is fine with you. T-the Council of Elders will have a meeting set up for tomorrow at the Council Hall." The messenger replies. He's a shaken man, about 17 years old, and the look of a fast runner. Short brown hair and brown eyes, wearing a simple tunic and running boots complete the picture of a simple man with a simple job. A quiet whisper echoes in the Shadow Knight's ear alone. "Perfect law, huh?"

"Oh quiet" The Knight responds silently to the voice. "This is what I was given this power for. This is why I am here. At least, that was the agreement, was it not?" The Knight had heard voices before. Some of them those who were once known, voicing doubt or outrage. Some were encouraging. And then there was one voice. The voice of the one who gave this power that is now being spread across the world, one town at a time. It was this voice that was probably speaking now. Unless it was a new one, joining the chorus of doubt, belief, and ridicule. The Knight stood and nodded. Raising it's hands and clapping once. This was signaling the approval of the agreement. "It is agreed" Stated Judge, who had learned the Knight's gestures well in his service to it. "We shall be there to lay the laws that you shall abide by. You shall lead my liege and our entourage to this meeting."

"V-very well. S-shall I wait at the gates for your entourage?" The messenger asks, uncertain what the Judge meant by entourage, and what he should do to avoid angering them. A sigh reaches the Knight's ear. "I had not known you'd fallen so far." Comes the whisper once again. "Rule through fear?" The voice begins to take on a tone that seems familiar to the Knight.

"Fear is a good tool." The Knight replies with a chuckle. "People fear things they do not understand. It will be simple rule through law once they come to understand it. Nothing more." The Knight replied, debating this point with the voice, but also seeming to try convincing itself as well.

"No, the court is here now." Judge replied, following in the wake of the Knight as they moved toward the gate. A group of armed soldiers seemed to appear out of the walls, sliding into formation behind their leader. They were simple minions, but they served a purpose of being a show of force, as well as providing expendable troops should anything hinder them during their travel. They were simply unnoticed by most in the hall when the commanding and dominating figures of the Knight and Judge. "We leave immediately."

The messenger pales, but nods. "V-very well. I-I'll lead then?" He says, more of a question of it not angering them than a statement. When the army and messenger get outside, they see a single man standing on top of the gate. Wearing crimson clothes, with silver hair and a sword at his hip. "Hello. It's been awhile. I see you've made some changes." The man calls down, staring at the Shadow Knight. His purple eyes reveal sorrow, but his stance speaks of confidence. The whisper reaches the Knight's ear, matching the man's voice. "If I knew this would happen when you asked to grieve alone, I wouldn't have let you disappear. I didn't expect _______'s death to hurt you this much." The man on the Knight's gates was one from before the Knight turned to Absolute Law, when the Knight had adventured with other equals, instead of an army. Zeheris, a wizard with some fighting skill and unusual speed.

"HOW DARE YOU COME HERE!" a voice echoed out over the grounds. One of the gauntleted hands of the Knight points up at the man. The other reaches for the blade that was strapped on it's back. "AND HOW DARE YOU SPEAK THAT NAME! I HONOR HIS DEATH BY SPREADING HIS MESSAGE OF TRUE LAW." The voice that echoed forth from the armor was harsh and grating, a sound like stone grating on stone, like rusty metal being ground into dust. None who stood there could remember the last time it was heard, but they could all tell it was tinged with anger.

"I came here to find you. I dare because I was your friend, and I wanted to know if you were alright." Zeheris's eyes narrow in anger. "As for honoring him, do you truly believe that this is what he wished?" His voice whispered in the Knight's ear alone. "For you to threaten people, and to kill them for breaking any rules? I speak his name because I was his friend. And I believe he wouldn't like what you've become." A slightly sibilant hiss reaches the Knight's ear. "Should I attack the man in red, my _liege_?" The new voice asks, a hint of mockery in the last word. "He bears notable magical power." A hint of caution and uncertainty this time.

"No, you would barely slow him down. Besides. I should settle this." the Knight mentally told it's fiendish familiar. "THAT IS ENOUGH, COME HERE AND FACE ME, OR ARE ONLY YOUR WORDS BOLD?" With that the Knight drew the black blade and raised it toward the man. "I AM GUIDED BY THE RIGHT, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG HERE. THE LAW IS THE HIGHEST THING, AND I SHALL SHOW IT TO YOU."

Zeheris sighs. "If that is what you wish." He says, before jumping off the 60 feet high gates. With ease he lands, and draws his own blade. It's a pure white katana, with Celestial engraved in sky blue on it. Zeheris settles into a simple stance that is based on speed. "I'm ready when you are." He says quietly. The messenger is confused, while at the edge of the Knight's view her two main (minions, the cohort equivalent) appear, curious as to what the hold up is. The War Troll Syffrid is eager to watch the battle, eyes focused on the blades, while the pale mistress of the dead, Elisha Blanche, is staring at Zeheris with glowing blue eyes, intently studying him. The army seems restless, uncertain of what their leader wants them to do.

The Knight stands for a moment sizing up Zeheris. "SEE WHAT ONE FOLLOWING THE TRUE LAW CAN DO." The Knight calls and charges at Zeheris.

(Init 15. If going first, To hit with attack on a charge: 38. Damage: 24 )

Initiative: Zeheris/28, Knight/15

Zeheris rushes at the Knight in a blur, the katana bursting with magical intensity as fire, ice, lightning, and acid swirl about the blade, all contained in a light blue glow. Twice Zeheris slashes at the Knight at the end of his charge with blurring speed.

Attack: 37, 31
Damage: 23, 24

(Attack one hits. Can I have the damage in seperate parts as the Knight has DR 3/adamantine from the armor.)

The Knight lets out a grating chuckle as Zeheris's blade slashes it. However, the laugh is not pained but instead seems... happy. The Knight's blade flashes down in a streak of black, slashing quickly in a trio of strikes.

(Attacks: Crit, 21, 17
Damage: 40, 18, 15)

The black blade drinks energy of Zeheris, granting the Knight new strength. (Heals 8 HP) Zeheris grunts with the pain, but moves in a blur of motion attacking relentless with four strikes. The second smashes deep into the Knight, pain sprouting from the wound. But curiously, Zeheris isn't striking to kill. (All damage done by Zeheris is nonlethal, from the Merciful enchantment.)

Attacks: 29, Crit, 24, 18
Damage: 40, 68 (37, 65 with DR)

A loud expulsion of air sounds from the Knight as Zeheris's sword slams into it. A grunt of enjoyment at the combat echos forth, a sound of malicious glee. The black blade glows with a sinister dark light and comes slashing down at Zeheris.

(Using three smite goods.
Attacks: 43, Crit, 30
Damage: 24, 44, 19)

The first strike slices into Zeheris, cutting him. The second strike goes through him, or rather an afterimage. (50% Miss chance on attacks, similar to concealment and blur spells.) The third slash hits a field of force energy that appears in front of Zeheris, only to vanish after the attack. Zeheris retaliates with a blur of speed, with four strikes in quick succession. The first smashes into the Knight again, followed by cross slash to the leg. The next two glance off the black armor.

Attacks: 32, Crit, 22, 18
Damage: 36, 84 (33, 81 with DR)
Total Damage: 199, 114 this round to Knight
Total Damage: 108 to Zeheris

The Knight seems to be wavering, and has ceased laughing in the glory of combat. The black glowing blade continues to swing with almost renewed vigor however.

(Attacks: 46, 37, Crit
Damage: 16, 17, 24)

Zeheris takes the blows, getting cut open again and again. But in the blink of on eye, Zeheris is 160 feet away from the Knight. "That was interesting. You have changed. I'll be watching. Regardless of what you've become, I still have hope for you. Good Bye." Zeheris says, the last word spoken in Celestial, more sung then spoken. There are undertones of sadness and grief, yet there is also a hint of hope. Spoken Celestial is understood by all, even if it is rarely spoken. Zeheris then chants briefly, before vanishing in a swirl of purple light.

The Knight stood for a moment, then seemed to wilt slightly, the powerful, almost indomitable presence that had filled the dark armor seemed to seep away. A dark glow formed around the Knight, and it stood upright a little more. Gesturing to the watchers to move out as if nothing had happened. This interruption should not slow down today's activities and spreading of the Knight's Laws. Silently, the Knight's soldiers and Judge follow, wondering what they just witnessed but not wishing to ask questions.

(Using Lay on Hands to restore 20 hit points. Which will be enough to not pass out once the temporary hitpoints run out.)

The War Troll Syffrid follows the army, having enjoyed the fight and assumed that the Knight had won a close and glorious fight. Elisha moves next to the Knight, and begins healing the dark figure with a glowing white hand. "That man knew you, and was as skilled in the Arcane Arts, equal to my own. He was also... focused. Is there anything you can tell me about him?" She asks quietly, uncertain of how the Knight felt, but wishing to help, and to plan in case he came again.

"he is a relic of the past. his skill with the blade and arts is powerful, but he is a naive fool. thinking that subduing a foe is a smart idea. he is weak." The Knight whispers, the voice a quiet whisper, dismissive and raspy. At the words weak a small bit of flames flicked through the grating that covered the Knight's mouth, as if spitting vehemence. "it has been long since I spoke. words come... hard. i remember why i stopped."

The group followed the messenger's lead toward his town. The Knight's raven familiar scouted ahead of them slightly, told to alert the Knight of any approaching problems.

The next 3 hours pass with ease on the march. Close to night fall, the army reaches the gates of Phannaskull. "W-Well, here it is, my liege. T-The elders are mostly likely in bed, but there is the Black Wyvern Inn and the Red Wolf Bar. T-There isn't enough room for all your soldiers, but there's enough for your leaders." The messenger said, taking on the task of being a guide. He seemed slightly disturbed. Perhaps it was the Ghouls that Elisha had as her personal body guards. There didn't seem to be much in the town. A couple of shops, the Inn, and the Bar. A small, simple town, dedicated to farming mostly.

The soldiers started setting up camp and the Knight simply nodded at the messenger. Three of the soldiers quickly unpacked a large tent bearing the mark of a blade and a gavel crossed on a field of red. It was rather obvious that they intended to sleep outside the town. "You may go now. We shall enter the town in the morning." Judge informed the messenger.

The messenger nodded, and headed into town at a frightened, but steady walk. The army continued it's set up until everyone had a place to sleep. While this was going on, the Shadow Knight and the three under the Knight had a meeting...

"So, who was that red mage? Some Thayan checking you out?" Syffrid asks, curious. "He gave you a good fight, before he ran. I'm interested to see how well I'd do against him." A mocking voice calls in the Knight's ear. "You did so _well_, getting pummeled like that. Who was he, that you fought with blade alone? You seemed to know each other, and had a vague idea on how the other fought. The Shadow Knight's fiendish servant asked. Elisha sat quietly, waiting for new information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom