Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pathfinder - Souls for Smuggler's Shiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
As his head began to clear and he became aware of his new found situation Sacco began what he viewed as a most necessary action. Whirling through his head began the complex philosophical and chemical abstracts that allowed him his surprising power, along with a natural aptitude from distant fey lineage. He would spend the required time preparing the knowledge for two spells, Cure Light Wounds and Detect Secret Doors.

Sahar made his way in a large circle around the group. He returned quickly and relayed the sights of the area to Thea...

They found themselves on a narrow beach. To the south, a wall of green rose in the form of a dense jungle filled with a cacophony of life. To the east and west, ragged arms of jagged rocks reached out to embrace a wave-tossed cove, while to the north, the waters of the sea surged and churned between the beach and a line of razor-sharp rocks.

These waters held what was left of the Jenivere, listing to port, partially submerged, and with her hull a gaping ruin as she leaned against a jagged cliff among several sharp rocks. Even a cursory look was enough to confirm that the Jenivere would never sail again. Only the fortuitous presence of a sharp ridge of rock near the side of the sheer cliff wall had prevented the wreck from sinking entirely into the sea, for only the ship's stern seemed to have survived the wreck. This portion was wedged at an angle between the cliff and the rocks, and each wave shook and tossed the wreck alarmingly. It wouldn't be long before the constant pounding of the waves dislodged the wreck and allowed the hungry sea to claim the rest of this once-fine ship.

Lastly, Sahar pointed out a set of humanoid footprints leading to and from the water along with a fair number of furrows in the sand leading up to the area where the group woke up, suggesting someone had dragged them to where they lay from the water's edge.

"Without a campsite, we will be much more exposed to the elements...wildlife, bugs, and other dangers. This island is not a hospitable place," the Tian man said quietly, as if to himself.

"Well, we can either look for shelter amidst those rocks to the east and west, or we can explore the jungle which we'll likely find food. I suppose we could try to reach what's left of the ship, but it would be dangerous." Darian says, eager to do something now that action is called for. There is a time for meditation, and a time for action. Surviving called for action. He wondered who dragged them here, and hoped they were okay. In fact...
Perception check to see if there are other footprints matching who or what dragged them, and where the last set headed. 13 + 4 ranks + 5 Wis = 22 total.

Darian carefully examined the footprints, and noted that they only led between the water and the spot the group was laying at. No sign of other footprints were nearby.

<Due to the groups weariness and sickness...conversation has been slow, and sporadic, with much thinking and resting in between exchanges. An hour has passed, and Vallios and Sacco return to the group>

Darian sighs. "I'm going to try to reach what's left of the ship. There aren't any other footprints, so our rescuer could be on there for some reason. I owe it to whoever they are to at least try. Any of you are welcome to stay here or come with me." Darian says to the others, getting ready to swim out there, and letting anyone who wanted to to accompany him.

<Did not realize the summon spells had their durations nerfed from minute per level to round. Switching nature's ally for Entangle as Dylan is being gracious enough to allow me to do so. EVERYBODY GETS ONE D: . Or at least I do! >
"Find tiger. Help. "

Where was Thea? Gravetooth was missing and nobody that was healthy enough to move would get a chance to argue. Attracting help in the matter would be so much easier if he could communicate with sentences more complex than five syllables. Oh well, broken common would have to do for now. In regards to the whole 'convincing' aspect...One look at the gathered shipwreck victims and it was obvious that none of them would really be of ANY use in the wilds and so whether or not they liked it, Vallios was their ticket to making it through this little bump in the road. Because you know, food didn't grow itself unless you knew how to plant it and animals didn't just wander into your belly. You had to know how to hunt them and more importantly not get hunted yourself.

"Or starve."

The words weren't a threat, just a simple statement of where things stood. Anybody that didn't help with finding Gravetooth wouldn't be invited to join in any food Vallios foraged after she was found. And yes, he was going to be that guy. Vallios would be whatever guy required to ensure the survival of his only really friend in the entire world. Having given such a rousing speech, Vallios set out to track down his lost companion. Luckily tiger prints should be rather damned obvious and easy to find in the soft, impressionable sand. Vallios would start around and inside the wreck of the jenivere.

<Survival check: +4 to roll. If a swim check is applicable, +4 to roll.>

Thea nodded as Darian explained the options. "Sahar and I will go into the jungle to search for food, if anyone wants to help without getting too much wetter. Someone should probably take the gear over tho the rocks and try to set up camp. I'll bring some firewood back if I can find some."

Thea then nodded at Vallios and switched to Sylvan. "I'll see if I can find any sign of Gravetooth while I'm in there."

Without waiting to see if anyone followed, Thea walked toward the tree line, Sahar at her heels. By combining Sahar's stealth and Thea's knowledge of animals and survival, the pair made excellent hunters.

<I guess hunting would use handle animals, stealth, or survival. Thea gets a total of +8 in Handle Animal, +2 in Stealth, and +8 in Survival. Sahar has a +0 in Handle Animal, +6 in Stealth (now that the +2 DEX had worn off), and +0 to Survival. Using the Link ability the two can communicate mentally, effectively allowing Sahar to use Thea's knowledge on Handle Animal and Survival. At least, I think that would work... If that sounds wrong let me know. Sahar will be searching also for traces of Gravetooth's passing, which could use Thea's Survival and Sahar's Perception (+6).>

It was about a half-mile until the wreck of the Jenivere was immediately in front of them. No prints were to be found in the sand, however, from a closer vantage point they could see that the exposed rocks, though slippery, could be navigated, allowing someone to walk all the way up to a ledge on the cliff that overlooked the upper deck of the wreck.
<Roll DC 15 climb check to navigate down to the deck- if failed, take 1d4 points of damage>

The Jenivere was missing much of her bow, and up close, they could see she was missing much of her lower deck, as well. All that survived were the upper decks, the captain's cabin, and the middle decks where they knew the larder, supply room, brig and galley to be.

Looking down at the crashing waves, they saw the only lifeboat the ship had, it was washed up between the ship and the cliff and was crushed by the action of the waves smashing the Jenivere against the cliff side. Part of the bow still lolled about in the surf, attached to a protruding timber by a thick rope, as if someone had moored the lifeboat to the wreck.

Thea and Sahar spent about 4 hours in the nearby jungles, hunting and foraging. She had an incredible take, finding enough food to feed herself and all nine of her companions for the day - but only for that day. Sahar, though distracted by the sights and sounds around him, was successful, but only found provisions to last one person.

<Time will have to pass before Thea and Sahar return to the beach>

Darian nods. "Alright, we'll look for your tiger too. It would be helpful to have another mind around." Darian says, before beginning his climb onto the ship, to see what can be found.
Climb check: 14 + 4 ranks + 3 Dex = 21 total
Perception check: 15 + 4 ranks + 5 Wis = 24 total

The gnome Gelik, the half-elf Aerys, and the Tian man, the Garundi man, and Sasha, collectively dragged Hafaga's sleeping body over to the rocks and began searching for a suitable place to build camp. The Garundi man stayed behind with Hafaga and the gnome Sacco, both to watch over the sleeping dwarf and to keep watch over the only meeting place both groups knew of.

----

Darian climbed successfully down the cliff face and hopped onto the deck of the ship. As he walked along the deck, he noticed a terrible racket coming from the lower decks.

---

As Thea hunted, she noticed something strange tangled in the branches of a nearby tree. A closer inspection revealed it was the blood-drained corpse of a monkey. Thea shook off her disgust and continued the hunt.

<Climb check, 15 rolled +8 (4 from skill bonuses, 4 from STR) result 22. Perception check is at +9, awaiting DM roll.)
Vallios followed Darian on the climb, doing through brute force what the Monk did through nimble movement. While the rocks made the ascent difficult for most, Vallios found his way easily onto the deck, taking a moment to survey the damage done by the shipwreck. Those keen eyes looked for any sign of Gravetooth, the shaken tiger could be hiding anywhere. Half-elf ears were also peeled for any sound that could belong to a wounded, angered, or scared tiger. Again he tried to sense her emotions, hoping to find some indication that she was alive.

Vallios failed to notice the same sounds that Darian did, however, he vaguely felt Gravetooth's presence below decks.

<off to bed, I'll reply to whatever happens overnight in the morning>

While Darian used stealth, Vallios drew spear and charged down to the lower decks. Unfortunately his link with Gravetooth didn't give him such useful information as exact location or severity of injury, but it at least let him know he was close and drawing closer. Hot and Cold was a game Vallios was pretty great at, deductive reasoning being one of his stronger skills. Hopefully Gravetooth would disengage if she was in combat and move to find him when she felt their bond strengthening. Vallios decided to throw some encouragement in the way of vocal communication. The proper words were shouted to get Gravetooth's attention and hopefully encourage her to heel, to stay close to him regardless of situation.
"Gravetooth, by my side!" Vallios shouted in the sylvan tongue, the words a roar as loud as he could possibly manage.

Hafaga leapt to his feet, hurling weapons, packs and various utensils that had been piled atop him. The sun's descent through the sky was already well underway. He took in sinking ship downwind, the unfamiliar beach, the collection of former passengers gathered around and, in an exceedingly rare event for Hafaga, came to a logical conclusion. "This isn't right."

He strode toward—or not. Hafaga picked himself up and shook his feeble legs, focusing on one wobbly step at a time. He strode toward the people idling nearby and cleared his throat. "What'd I miss?"

Darian quietly made his way below decks. He was walking down the hall, searching for signs of the noise when he heard a thunderous stamping coming from behind him - Vallios. Vallios charged down the hall in front of Darian, throwing any element of surprise out the window. As he charged down the hall, followed quietly by Darian, they found the source of the noise...another of the scorpion/lobster beasts clammered through the ship, though considerably larger than the tiny ones they had crushed on the beach. Darian finally put a name to the creature - eurypterids, he had read of them. The creature, drawn by the noise the half-elf, stopped what it was doing and began scuttling towards the duo.
<Roll initiative>

---

The bound man looked from the gnome to the dwarf, and said with a sly smile, "...Shipwrecked."

Sitting as he was Sacco puffed a few clouds of smoke, stared at them intently as though he could divine some mystical future in them and casually looked to the dwarf once he had composed his thoughts and spoke:

"We're fucked, up the arse, no spit, without the courtesy of a reach around."

With that he produced his cutlass and began to inspect the blade edge.

Hafaga discretely brushed his rear and was relieved to be certain that the gnome was speaking figuratively.

"Well, long as we're stuck here, may's well introduce ourselves." He thumped his chestplate proudly. "Hafaga Greatvein, adventurer extraordinaire!" The last bit was yet to be determined. But heeding Papa Greatvein's words, Assuming you've already won is half the battle, Hafaga faced his new profession with misguided confidence.

He saw that the dark-skinned man's hands were hidden behind his back. "Whatcha got there?"

Darian sighed as the half-elf rushed past him. There went leaving any enemies unaware. So he followed after, and upon seeing the eurypterids, decided it could be worse. He struck with learned speed, hoping that wild beasts would be all they'd fight here.
Initiative: 14 + 3 Dex = 17
Flurry of Blows
Attack Rolls: 18, 13 -1 Flurry, +2 Str = 19, 14
Damage Rolls: 4, 5

<Current initiative: Darian, Vallios, Eurypterids>

The struck eurypterid took part of the monk's flurry, a small shriek audible from the creature's odd face.

<Total damage to eurypterid 1: 5>
<Init Vallios>

Jask looked at the dwarf for a moment, then sighed. "What have I got? The price of loyalty, this is the burden I carry behind my back." The man turned to show his manacled hands. "I would have gone with the others to look for a campsite, if it wasn't for these...although they probably wouldn't have let me come anyway. The prisoner will be the first to starve, yes?"

Vallios did not stop his charge, wicked spear set and hungry. When Vallios came into range he gave a vicious double-handed thrust. With Gravetooth in trouble any thought of the druidic code was abandoned. Anything that stood in his way, animal, plant, elemental, humanoid or giant 3 headed fish was dead with absolutely no remorse.

<Attack roll. +4 for strength, +2 for charge. If a hit is scored +6 for 1.5 strength from wielding a weapon with both hands.>

Vallios charged the first eurypterid straight through, the large creature skewered across the entire length of his spear.

Its companion skittered up to the druid, ignoring the dripping corpse he held on his spear. It bit into the man's leg fiercely.

<Damage to Vallios, 4>
<Initiative Darian>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom