Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pathfinder - Souls for Smuggler's Shiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
So focused was Hafaga on the mysterious barrels that he almost didn't notice the voices. Snapping against the barrels, he removed his helm and crept closer, the firing of each synapse and gesture of every tendon careful and deliberate. Hafaga was fairly certain he could not be quieter if he tried.

<stealth check>

Hafaga silently made his way towards the source of the sounds, carefully avoiding the potentially noisy cargo. He was surprised to find himself within earshot, and soon enough, view of the men. He recognized them as Captain Kovack and First Mate Alton.

"Captain, I don't understand...we're already late. We lost 4 days back at the storm in the Eye of Abendego. We're behind schedule. If we keep bearing south, we'll lose another week. Why in the name of the Gods would we go off-course? You and I have made this trip a dozen times." Devers pleaded with Kovack.

"Aye Alton, you and I have been up and down these coasts a dozen times. And in all of those times, have I ever failed you? I will not have my best man question me! If the rest of the crew heard you talking this way, what would they think?"

"Sir, I come to you because the men are already thinking! They think that Varisian woman has a hold on you...some say she's let herself into your bed."

"Damn what they say about my bed! This is my ship, I'll bed who I want. And no! I'm not sleeping with the damn Varisian," the Captain hung his head and rubbed his temple in frustration. "I'll hear no more of this. We continue East by South-East until I say otherwise. That's the end of it. And stop this talk about Ieana. I'm not sleeping with her, but she's a passenger aboard our ship and a fine woman, and I won't have her being the victim of pointless gossip, not from my men at least."

The men began walking towards the stairs and headed back up to the crews quarters.

Thea's hand covered he mouth in shock at Vallios' revelation. She barely remembered to switch back to Sylvan as she apologized. "I'm so sorry, I didn't know. Please forgive me for rminding you of the tragedy."

Retreating within herself slightly, Thea began softly singing a song in Elvish. The song held so much emotion that even those unable to understand the words should have been able to recognize the grief and sorrow within the music.

<Profession: Singing check>

<The check succeeds>

The trio standing on deck listened intently to Thea's song. Sasha began crying quietly, hand over heart. The half-elf, Aerys, succumbed to her wine and to the song and slowly crumbled to the ground, resting her head against the railing and looking to the sky. The gnome smiled and watched as Thea closed her eyes, losing herself to her music.

Surprisingly, even Vallios stopped his chewing to listen more closely to the words of Thea's song.

The chatter of the crew went silent as all enjoyed the sounds of the sea and of the half-elf.

Quite the impressive performance, that was. Managing to get Vallios to set aside a meal for anything other than mortal peril was a feat to be celebrated. Remembering the proper thing to do after a song Vallios gave slow, measured applause when Thea finished. The druid even gave Thea an appreciative nod, understanding the ballad and it's sympathies. It was a nice gesture and would've moved a more...civilized person to tears. Quickly as he had stopped, Vallios resumed finishing off his meal. In the interim of feigned sleep Gravetooth had actually drifted off into yet another catnap. Whether kitten or tiger, it seemed sleepiness was a universal trait in felines.

As the days on the Jenivere went by, the morale of the crew began fading slowly amid quickly disappearing rations and the knowledge that the ship was not following its intended course. Rumours about the Captain continued to circle in the way rumours tend to do, only bolstered by the insistence of Kovack and Alders that there was nothing to them. About a week passed from the day Hafaga overheard the men speaking below decks and that Thea first met her fellow passengers, until one night, the crew and passengers made their way to the galley. Dinner was served and everyone greedily dug in.

<All characters roll Fortitude saving throws. I did this. :D>

That's the last thing any of them remembered.

Vallios suddenly became aware of his consciousness. Everything was dark and silent. Slowly, sensation began to creep back in, the feel of sand below and of a lapping at his feet, the sound of ocean waves washing against a beach, and a heavy pressure over his legs.

Then, suddenly he felt a searing pain in one foot.

<Vallios takes 1HP damage>
<Roll initiative>
<Initiative order - Vallios, ???>

Vallios eyes bolted open and he looked down to see a tide-pool denizen, like a cross between a lobster and a scorpion, attached to his foot. As he turned his head, he felt a wave of nausea and disorientation...dry mouth and burning skin. Gravetooth was nowhere to be seen. Three other of the monsters crawled along the beach, heading towards a line of other bodies laying in the sand.

<Vallios is currently sickened (-2 on all attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks>
<Initiative Vallios>

The grogginess was hard to fight, but Vallios' survival instincts set in before he could think. With a roar of fury Vallios lifted his leg and tried to smash the creature attached to his foot. The druid felt no pity when it came to self defense. Step one: Kill this thing, step two: Cook it and eat it. Step 3: Locate gravetooth, that was the plan.

<Attack roll, Base attack + 0, +4 strength mod, -2 for sickened. 1d4 subdual damage if damage is dealt>

Vallios felt a satisfying crunch as the thing was crushed beneath his foot, juices spilling out into the sand.

Meanwhile, the other three beasts continued along the sand, two of them stopping near the unconscious body of Darian. One of them raises its tail and drives it down into his shoulder, stinging him.

<1HP damage to Darian>
<Darian wakes up>
<Current initiative order: Vallios, ???, Darian>
<Initiative Darian>

Darian awoke to a headache, sand where it wasn't supposed to be, and something stinging his shoulder. I've been drugged again. Was his first thought. While doing so, he struck out at the thing attacking with a Flurry, not caring to play nice.

(Attack Rolls: 11 each, -1 for Flurry, +2 for strength. Total: 12
Damage Roll if hits: 6 and 4
AC: 18, 19 against one that attacked or survivor.)

In a flash of movement, Darian mercilessly smashed both of the creatures next to him, their bodies completely ruined. The fourth thing, unaware of the misfortune of its former companions, plods on through the sand toward the bodies. On the far side of the bodies, Vallios and Darian can see the gear they were carrying stacked in a haphazard pile.

<Init Vallios>

Vallios stood and made his way shakily over to the pile of gear. One moment was all Vallios took to survey the dead, seeing if he recognized any faces amongst the corpses. Attention returned to the locating and equipping of what little material possessions he owned. Well, this was just great wasn't it? Shipwrecked on an island, potentially poisoned and with minimal supplies. One last glimpse at the corpses before Vallios gave a resounding sigh. At least Gravetooth would eat well. After all, if she didn't take the meat these scavengers obviously would...It was odd that he didn't feel the pangs of the great cat's hunger seeing as his own stomach was rumbling quite violently.

Hold on a second...There was nothing from Gravetooth. Where was she?! Vallios' demeanor shifted from aggrivation to desperate rage. Practically crying out across their empathic link Vallios searched desperately for any response. Fear, dark and cold roiled up in Vallios' stomach. A horrible, primal terror that he hadn't experienced in over a decade and a half. Food would have to wait, Gravetooth could be dying! It was odd just how polar opposite Vallios' response was to what most people in his situation's would be.

Ignoring the material things, Darian checked to make sure this people were actually dead. He didn't want to leave someone behind.

Perception Check roll: 21

The small creature continued its way towards the unconscious crew when the smell of its dead companions seeped into the nearby air. Quickly deciding that this beach was picked clean enough for now, the creature began scurrying toward the water.

<Init Darian>

Darian successfully roused those on the beach he tended to, including the gnome, Sacco.

<Out of combat, everyone is free to do as liked>
<All PCs are currently Sickened>

Darian goes and grabs his backpack, now that everyone's up. Noting the half-elf's sudden panic, he calls, "Is everyone alright?" in a mild tenor.

Included among the bodies on the beach are all the PCs, as well as the gnome. the half-elf in leather armor, the Tian man, the redheaded woman, and a Garundi (black) man, in ragged clothes, with wrists bound with manacles behind his back. No one appears to be seriously injured, though all are sick and groggy, and have no recollection of the period of time since the dinner everyone remembers sitting down to. Those on the beach are in various states of conciousness.

<Get it? Cause not everyone's online>

Dujek, or Sacco, wasn't sure exactly had happened. One moment he'd been sleeping; or drinking, he wasn't quite sure as the two tended to blend together so neatly. When suddenly he was in an absolutely alien place. With no motion from the waves to buffet him he felt dizzy as sturdy land was forcibly returned to him.

Resisting all urges to empty the contents of his gullet the little blue haired gnome pushed himself up and began to shake sand loose from his clothing. Surveying his surroundings he found he couldn't make much sense of it all as his brain still rattled and his mind refused to be roused fully.

It was about this time that he noticed some human was helping. Casting an inquisitive glance he eyed the man, sizing him up. Ultimately deciding the individual was not a threat to him.

Spear in hand Vallios made his way over to the line of survivors, corpses...Whatever they were. This would be logical and methodical, there was life to be preserved now that his own safety and security had been ensured. Bedside manner was something Vallios definitely lacked, he began his first "medical examination by giving the nearest "victim" to him a steady poke square in the diaphragm with the butt of his spear. Should the shipwrecked victim rouse and not ask for immediate medical aid or cry out in pain, Vallios would move onto the next victim. If a person that was woke in such a way did show signs that they needed medical attention Vallios would apply his healing skills and knowledge to aid them. If a person did not wake after 3 stern pokes he would start medical care.

<Heal check. 1 rank in heal, +3 wisdom>

Vallios finds, as did the monk, that all persons laying on the beach, are in fact, alive. Some refuse to wake up, but all are obviously healthy overall. Most, however, do not take kindly to Vallios' method of helping, and many stern glances find their way to him.

<I'm off to bed. As far as group discussion, talk amongst yourselves, if you want to know what you can remember, what you see, etc, message me and you can relate that stuff IC if you want...IDK. We'll work it out. I'm very tired.>

Now that the duties of stewarding life were complete, Vallios required time to focus his spellcasting talents. The days spells needed to be prepared. Vallios waded out ankle deep into the surf and allowed himself to slip away into a meditative trance. Many times he'd performed this ritual, and each time it felt the same. Outside stimulus from the natural world melted away, Vallios opening his mind and soul to the rhythm of the natural world. Natural energies flowed through Vallios' body, granting him the proper reserves to channel and shape those energies into spells to aid in his endeavors.

<Vallios prepares the following spells: Create Water, Spark, Know Direction as Orisons. 1st level spells: cure light wounds, summon minor ally.>

Valios spent about an hour in the surf preparing spells. He was unresponsive to other PCs during that time.

Meanwhile...

Darian sighed. It seemed no one was willing to talk. Some looked dazed, but others were quiet, or panicked. "I'm Darian." He called out to everyone. "I think everyone is alive, and that our personal belongings are here." Darian says, gesturing to the pile of things. "I believe we were drugged, and that something happened to the boat at that time. So if we could leave off accusing each other, until we know where we are, and have a basic survival plan?" He asks, calm and assured. Working past the headache, he tried to remember what had happened. Darian knew they'd eaten supper, but tried to pull anything after from the drugged haze that blurred those memories.

Diplomacy or equivalent: Roll 18, +5 Wis, total 23
Intelligence or Wisdom check for memories: 18, +2 Int or +5 Wis, total 20 or 23
Knowledge Local or Geography: 10, +2 Int, total 12

Darian's last clear memory was of sitting down to dinner about the Jenivere, after that, nothing but a confusing jumble of images remembered as if in a dream-feelings of nausea, panic, fear, and drowning. The logical conclusion was that the ship sank or wrecked, and everyone on the beach washed up on the shore, although they were not particularly wet, and he found the fact that their gear was stacked in a pile to be interesting.

<Darian makes a heal check>As he examined himself and his current physical state, he confirmed that although exposure and the trauma of the wreck would make him sick, he was definitely suffering the aftereffects of poison, which explained the foggy memories. Fortunately, he could feel the sickness fading quickly with consciousness.

Examining the sky, the weather, the surrounding scenery, and an idea of where they were along in their journey as of yesterday, Darian began to wonder if they had wrecked upon the infamous Smuggler's Shiv. <Knowledge Geography/History/Local check reveals> Smuggler's Shiv was a notorious island north of Eleder. It wasn't shown on most maps, but was rightfully feared by those who plied the waters of Desperation Bay. The island was named not only for the knife-like shape of its coastline, but for its uncanny habit of wrecking ships that draw too near - mostly smugglers eager to avoid detection by the Sargavan navy.

Darian began to relay this to his companions, "Now, judging from our current course, it's likely we're on-" he was cut off by Aerys, the leather-clad half-elf.
"-Smuggler's Shiv. Damn that fool captain. I told his men we were drawing too near..." Aerys cursed the man under her breath, sitting in the sand dejectedly.

The Garundi man bound with manacles rose his gaze from the sand. "You are right", the man said in his thick accent. "We must have a plan if we are to survive here. Where is the ship?"

Thea sat up slowly, nursing her head. She had been awake since Vallios poked her with his spear, and had heard everything else since.

Safety was her first concern, but scouting the area was important as well. Thankfully, she could do both. Her legs shook slightly as she stood, but held after a moment.

Concentrating through the pain in her head, Thea completed the ritual to summon her Eidolon Sahar while focusing on giving him amphibious qualities and extra Dexterity. Sahar appeared shortly after, looking much like a large four-legged lizard with an odd, glowing symbol on his forehead matching one on Thea's.

As usual when talking to Sahar, Thea switched to Aklo, the language of inhuman outsiders. Despite the fact that they could communicate mentally, she preferred to speak out loud whenever possible to avoid confusion. "Sahar, I want you to search in a 100 foot radius around us, including underwater. Look for any other survivors or useful items, and relay anything that could explain what happened back to me. If something sees you return immediately."

Sahar nodded in understanding, then stalked away to fulfill his orders.

<Sahar gets +2 DEX for ten minutes with Summoner's Call>
<Sahar makes a Stealth check during his search, +3 DEX modifier + 1 skill rank + 3 Misc. Modifier = Total of +7 to result>
<Sahar makes a Perception check during his search, +0 WIS modifier + 1 skill rank + 3 Misc modifier + 2 Alertness (Misc modifier) = Total of +6 to result>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom