Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Criminal Intent

Cryptogoth[FM]

Banned
Banished
Morgan sat at the bar, drinking a glass of soda and lightly moving the toes within his boot to the electronic dance music that was being played. He would sit there on most nights, doing nothing else but watching. His eyes followed one girl in particular, the same girl every time. It was Katherine Harnash, the girl of his dreams, dancing with her friends. He had always admired her from afar, and had never seen her in person until he found the nightclub she frequented. He would come there every night, look for her, and wait for the right opportunity to just go up and talk to her. He never quite found the right opportunity.

He saw her stop dancing. She pulled out her iPhone, or Blackberry - some electronic device - and looked down at it, before turning around and walking away. She walked right past the bar, towards the back of the club. Morgan followed her with his eyes, and then stood up when she was out of view. He saw her leave out the back entrance. Looking back at the table she had been sitting at before dancing, some of her stuff was still there - he realized that she would be back soon. It was his perfect opportunity to talk to her.

He walked towards the back of the club, and leaned against the wall, right next to the door. He waited, sipping his non-alcoholic drink and checking the time on his watch. Minutes passed, and he started to wonder where she went. So, he walked out the door, into the alley.

He looked around, seeing nobody in the barely lit, dirty alley. And then, he saw her, Katherine. She was lying on a pile of cardboard, beside a dumpster. He immediately got down, and said, â??Katherine?â? His heart sunk as he checked her pulse, and tried to shake her to get her to wake up. She was dead.

In the darkness, he couldn't see the gash on the side of her head, which was covered by her long black hair anyways. When he ran his fingers through her hair, he got her blood on his hand. He wiped it off on his black shirt, and started to cry. His tears landed on her dress, as he stood over her. At that point, he wanted to be dead, like her. But he had to keep going, for her. He held her for the first, and final time, and stood up.

When he went inside, he immediately went into the bathroom. The blood on his black shirt didn't exactly show very well, but the moist feeling was uncomfortable. Some of it was in his hair, and still on his hand. He washed his hands, and then, looking around, he removed his shirt, to try washing it in the sink. He hoped that nobody would walk in and see his thin, pale frame, or the blood-stained shirt for that matter, but somebody did, and that somebody called the police. Morgan was too frightened to run, and he ended up being arrested.

The call to take on the case had been one that Eames had been all too happy to take on. As she was working on a Major Case squad she felt sure it was a big case and one that she could resolve. Given the choice of partners for once she had taken Wheeler. The other girl was younger than her but she was smart. Very smart. Once she made her way to the room she stopped outside the room then spoke softly. " You're taking the lead Wheeler."

The girl had faltered for a moment before nodding and entering the interview room. She had settled quickly on the side of the desk they always occupied, glad of the oppourtunity to take on a criminal investigation. The question would come slowly before she spoke, she knew she had to do what she could to prove him either a perp or witness if not completely innocent. Her first question had been easy.

"How well did you know Ms.Harnash?"

Morgan was taken downtown, and put in an interrogation room. He was the leading suspect in Katherine's murder, at that point, and he knew that he would be in deep shit. He sat down, and waited, looking at his own ghastly face in the one-way mirror. After a few minutes, two female detectives walked in, and sat down.

One of them asked how well he knew Katherine. She had short red hair, and she looked younger than the other one in the room. â??N-Not very well,â? He managed to say. He was still distraught by the death of Katherine, and the two women in the room only made him feel even more uncomfortable in his own skin. â??I had never actually known her personally,â? He explained, â??I only - admired her from afar.â?

"Care to explain that comment further?" Meagen forced herself to keep her words soft and kind. Knowing that she had to try to get the truth out of him without traumatising him. All the same she passed Alex a note, a single word on it. 'Stalker?'. She wondered if he was indeed a stalker and murderer.

She doubted it but she could tell from the way that Alex was looking at her that she thought much the same.

She seemed nice, but he knew what they were probably going to think about him. â??I was too nervous to talk to her,â? He said, â??I was - waiting for the right opportunity, and that's - that's when I found her.â? He paused, looking down at his lap, thinking, before looking back at her, â??I would never hurt her - I loved her too much.â? His eyes were beginning to water - the image of Katherine's beautiful yet dead body remained in his head.

"Where exactly did you find her?" The next question was simple. Wheeler seemed to like him but she was restricting herself to being professional, knowing she would be in deep trouble unless she waited until they were finished asking him questions. Now she waited, noting the tears and sliding a box of tissues towards him.

He smiled faintly, when she pushed the box of tissues over to him. He wiped the tears away, and said, â??In the alley, by a dumpster.â? He was beginning to feel a bit less nervous - she seemed nice. But, the other woman in the room kept him on edge. He wasn't so sure if she would be as kind as the girl with the red hair. â??She was already dead - I checked her pulse.â?

"Why didn't you call us the second you found her?" Meagen had asked, knowing he was hurting and hating having to push him but she knew she had to make him answer it.

"I don't know," He said, a sound of distress in his voice. "I was in a state of shock, seeing her dead like that - I didn't know what to do, and all I could think about was getting her blood off my shirt." He paused, breathing in slowly, and exhaling through his nose, looking down. "I thought about telling her friends," He said, "And get them to call - but, someone saw me in the bathroom, and called the police."

"Do you have any proof? Any eye-witnesses who can prove you went out after she'd died?" Meagen's next question was softer, still questioning but her voice was level and fair. She seemed to be unjudging even if Alex looked a little mistrusting. After some of the things she'd seen Wheeler couldn't be surprised.

"None that I know of," He said, "Someone could have seen me - I don't know. I waited by the back door for a few minutes, before going out." He remembered that there were a lot of people around, but he doubted that anybody would have noticed him. He hoped so, because otherwise he had nothing to prove his innocence. The time of death was only a few minutes before he found her - he doubted they could get it that precise.

"We'll have to ask around." Wheeler paused. "I'm afraid we'll have to keep you in our cells for the night." She addressed him kindly, signalling the male cop to take him out, looking at Eames with a small sigh.

The next day both women had asked around, finally tracking down the name of another man who had gone through. Wheeler had been forced to step off the case, Eames forced to release the boy.

Morgan was deeply frightened by the prospect of spending the night in a cell, but he didn't resist. The fact that he had a cell of his own dispelled some of his fears, and he was released the next day, after they had apparently found another lead. As he went home, the detective who was so nice to him remained in his thoughts, and thinking about her seemed to relieve the pain of loosing Katherine. It was either her, or Katherine's cold dead body, that he would think about.

He was still in pain over Katherine's death, and despite the fact that he never knew her personally, he felt a connection to the case. The following day, he went downtown and found the office of the Major Case squad. He entered, having been authorized, and waited, not quite sure what to do or who to ask. He wasn't sure if the detective who had interrogated him would be there, but a part of him was hoping she would be.

Despite knowing that she shouldn't been on the case or even talking to anyone who was involved Meagen had moved to talk to the boy. "Have you remembered something?" The question was gentle and sweet, kind as she could be. Eames was watching and she let her voice drop. "Would you like to get a coffee??"

"Uh - I just came to ask if there was any progress being made on the case," He said, "I feel like I have a connection to it, even though I never actually knew her." He had his hands in the pockets of his black trench coat, feeling a bit nervous, just walking in there and talking to the detective. "What's your name, by the way? ," He asked, with a faint smile.

"Well, we have a new lead." Wheeler admitted, finding herself smiling slightly. "I'm sure Katherine would be flattered that you cared that much." His question rang in her ears and she found herself blushing a little, then spoke up quietly. "Meagen, Meagen Wheeler." Her smile was soft. "We should get that coffee, before you get me fired."

He flashed another smile, a bit less faint than the last one. He always thought there was a chance, that maybe Katherine would be flattered by his level of caring. The consensus he got from others, though, was that she would probably think of him as a freak. He wondered why she would want to go out for coffee, when they barely knew each other. But he didn't want to disappoint her - or get her fired. â??Sure,â? He said, â??I'm Morgan - by the way.â? She probably already knew that, he thought, but it seemed appropriate to say.

"Come on." Wheeler was smiling as she lead him out of the building. Her eyes kept drifting back to him and the fact she was pretty sure her boyfriend, the new lead, had killed Katherine, pushed her to seek a new one. Morgan seemed like a nice guy even if everything she knew said he might be dangerous. She guessed if she didn't try she would never know. No alarms went off inside and she glanced at him again. "So, have you had many girlfriends?"

â??No,â? He said, â??None at all.â? Morgan never even had any friends, since elementary school anyways. He was just never very interested in dating, and most girls that he liked thought he was a freak, or just not up to their standards. That was how he fell in love with Katherine - he had nobody else, so he was forced to retreat into a celebrity obsession. Her question struck him as odd, maybe just because of how socially inept he was, but he decided not to ask why she had asked him that.

"That's a shame." Her words were soft, almost a sigh. "I wonder why nobody thought to try..." She stifled her words then, seemingly aware of how wierd they could sound. "Sorry, guess I never did learn to keep work and social lives seperate." The excuse was flimsy at best but she still hoped it would work. As they turned into the coffee shop she found herself smiling, relaxed. "What would you like to drink? My treat..."

He raised an eyebrow - her interest in his personal life seemed a little odd, to him. “I guess most girls think I'm a freak,” He said, “Uh - should be obvious why.” Morgan looked down at the clothing he was wearing - it was all black. He dressed in black every day, and on that day he was wearing a trench coat. It wasn't just the way he dressed, that creeped a lot of girls out - it was also his behavior, including his obsession with Katherine.

When they reached the coffee shop, he walked in with her, and said, “I guess I'll have an iced cappuccino.” Even though it was cold, like most Winter days in New York City, Morgan didn't like hot coffee very much. He would always end up burning his mouth.

Megan had smiled slightly as she ordered, ignoring the odd looks and turning to talk to Morgan. "You're different... doesn't always mean bad." She found she meant it completely. Some people would have found it odd, for some reason she found it charming. All the same she knew she couldn't just ask him out. That just didn't seem right.

â??Yeah,â? He said, meekly, and turned around to look for a place to sit. He went over to a table by the window, and sat down. He smiled faintly when Megan arrived with the drinks, and took his, taking a sip from it. Nobody had ever been nice to him, the same way she was - they barely knew each other, and she was taking him out for coffee and asking him personal questions. â??So - what did you find out, in the case? ,â? He asked, â??If you can talk about it, anyways.â?

"Well..." Megan paused, squaring herself for what she had to say, hating the weakness that filled her tone even as she spoke. "We have a new lead as you know." She knew she wasn't allowed to say who but she was going to ignore that warning. Somehow she felt he needed to know. She wasn't sure why. "My current boyfriend... her ex." She wasn't proud of it but she'd taken the man in. Trusted him.

â??Your boyfriend - used to be with Katherine? ,â? He said. He knew that Katherine had a plethora of ex-boyfriends, all widely publicized. Most of them had themselves been famous, with their own personal lives widely publicized. He had no knowledge of a boyfriend of her's, who went on to date Megan. The news came as something of a shock - she too, had a connection to the crime. â??Where is he? ,â? He asked, thinking that he might be dangerous, and also thinking that he might give the guy what for, if he wasn't so physically weak.

Back
Top Bottom