Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Forbidden Temple of the Great Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary looked up at Zato, pausing from petting the duck.

"The Ladies in the odd clothing already left Mister Zato."

She recognised the sort of worried look he had on his face.

"Don't worry Mister Zato, Missus Bel told me all about them."

Valetni cocked his head as the words of the knight registered with him. He had been expecting...he wasn't sure what he had been expected, he certaintly hadn't expected the night to acquiesce so quickly. At the very least Valetni had expected Morr to demand more details of the meet, or even that he should be the one who went. Valetni grinned ruefully, perhaps the knight had at last learned the folly of trying to argue with him. Valetni paused, his eyes narrowing as a thought struck him. Perhaps the knight meant to follow him without his knowledge? Ordinary, Valetni would not have thought the knight capable of such subterfuge, but he had certainly shown himself capable of such underhanded tactics since the journey had begun. Since entering the city, the engine on Valetni's paranoia machine had been kicked up into top gear as old habits returned to him.

"It's... at the docks." He replied, hedging his bets. He cast a quick look around to ensure they were no longer under observation. "If my contact sees anyone who he even thinks is associated with me, he'll bolt." Valetni warned.

Vanessa watched as the two monks leave the tavern and even more unease. She knew they was going to be staying a bit longer and she really wanted to get a move on it. she decided to get some fresh air to cool her jets. she stood up and stepped outside of the Tavern then with out a word to anyone she left the Tavern all together she needed a walk around town to get her bearings see the sights and maybe someone from her past. she did not know how she was going to keep them hush maybe a nice cooked meal or maybe get them to not tell by talking sweet to them she did not know but she would not resort to violence.

"I would assume, considering the delicacy of the information's and the contact's own nature, the bargain shall be met by nightfall? I would suggest thus, that you keep your presence away from our group, seek quarters for the day by one of your associates, I shall have the Hellguard be divided into several groups, stir up some attention, draw them to us. Most assuredly, if their intentions are as villainous as we can assume, we will be attacked as soon as we conduct our investigation around the harbor, but you, and with you the mission's goal, shall at least be safe. Is this acceptable, or do you have any objections, brother Valetni?" the old knight asked the debilitated monk.

Valetni nodded slowly. He would, for the moment at least be on his own. It was a sobering thought, his intellect was matched by few, or so he thought, but he remained vulnerable in the physical realm, a vulnerability that was nicely covered by the presence of the hellguard, until now. "I'll need to fetch some items from my trunk, I'll return as soon as the meet is concluded. I assume you will have someone here?" Valetni asked as he turned to leave.

Vanessa was long gone by down but she was not at the harbor no she was watching the market place from behind a booth. She looked at all the people going about their and noted this town seemed alright no one she really knew from her past. She thought to herself maybe Vanessa your too Pernod for your own good. She did not head back to the traven instead she stayed out keeping an eye out and she even counted what little coin she had left in case she needed to buy something from the market as cover for her being out on her own.

"Aye, soldat Helm shall remain stationed here for your return. I shall now go to inform the rest of the expedition of the plan. A good, successful day to you, brother Valetni, that goodness may grant us the tidings we need to fulfill our objectives to our best of duty."

Thus said, the knight left the alley without looking back, back into the tavern, where he, most of the other inhabitants still entranced by the prostitutes, Morr, with as much care as a helmeted giant as he could, told the rest of the expedition- before he paused, taking a look around.

"Where is sister Vanessa?"

Vanessa moved from booth to booth with out being seen. She soon eased up her search of the people and decided to go from booth to booth as if she was a buyer. she dug out a list of things she made up as if she was shopping for those things.

Valetni followed the armored knight back inside the tavern, skirting around his armored bulk as he retreated upstairs to his rooms. Valetni had most of the day to prepare for his meeting, and mindful of his vulnerability, alone and isolated, he planned to use that time to his advantage. He gave a habitual glance around, before unlocking the large trunk that held most of his supplies. Oh yes, there was a chance that the meeting would go exactly as planned, Valetni would get the information he required, and he and the informant would peaceably part ways. There was a chance for that, yes.

Valetni had long ago learned to hope for the best, while preparing for the worst.

The Hellguards and Morr took their time finishing with the meal, behaving not like ones whose duty was pressing, but merely tired travelers, though of course their weapons and arms spoke of their prowess and origins, certainly it was not so strange to have a company of visitors from the famous temple, even at times like this. However, there was indeed some tension, after all Vanessa, who many still regarded with suspicion in relation to her shrouded origins, had apparently decided to take matters into her own hands.

But, disciplin was held, private Helm was given his instructions to stay so that brother Valetni would have someone to report back to... only one question remained to be answered.

"Mary... what should we do with you..." Sergeant Belatia spoke what all others thought "Unless, brother Zato would prefer to stay here with her and Helm?"

All eyes rested on the blind monk, who of course would not notice such.

Vanessa was at a booth eying what was on sale when a women's voice rang out her name sharp and clear. Vanessa turned to face the woman and her face went deadly pale at the mere sight of her. She could not believe she found her all this way and she knew this woman was up to no good.

The woman's name was Rose and like the flower she sure had thorns about her for she was rotten to the core. She had long black hair with red strikes . Her pretty light blue eyes sparked when she looked at vanessa. She wore a very tight long black dress that was low cut. She had on black leather boots up to the knees. she had ruby red lips that she licked at the mere sight of vanessa.

"The girl who killed my master stand there in front of me nice day this is going to be "Rose said to Vanessa with a sneer.

"Wha's, huh?" Zato woke up and looked around uselessly. "I heard my name; is something the matter?" he asked.

Before sergeant Belatia could respond, Morr interjected "It is as weibel Belatia said, brother Zato. You are an esteemed member of the Temple of Buzziah, it is indeed within your authority to command the Hellguards above me if you deemed it necessary. The question of milady Mary's safety yet remains, a possibility to maintain it would stand in you remaining in the rented quarters of this establishment with her and soldat Helm while we conduct our investigation regarding our adversary's activities and..." the knight could not keep himself from casting a short glance at weibel Belatia "... the suspicions of some regarding the disappearance of a certain cook, in the other parts of the town. Would that be acceptable to you?"

Vanessa looked at Rose and said "how could you serve my uncle and lets not talk about this here lets go somewhere private if you so wish to talk if not leave me alone". she quickly put her hands down by her two daggers ready to draw them out of rose should attack avenging her master's death.

Rose just laughed and said "always was quick to go to your blades and maybe take me to a taveren and buy me a drink or two the one with the group you came into town with after all they might like to get to know me".

Vanessa bit on her bottom lip and said "no ".

As she watched the discussion about her go back and forth, the small girl eventually grew tired as the larger people spoke about her, but not to her.

Looking around the room she spotted several large people with drawings all over their arms, she stared at them, Mister Zato had never let her draw on her arms, and when alerted to the fact she had done so by other monks, had often sent her off to get it scrubbed clean, which had always taken a long time since the ink had sunk in, and left her pale skin sore and red.

Here people must really like to draw, since a lot of the other people sitting around had drawings that disappeared down their sleeves, she supposed they must've run out of space on their arms, and had wanted to do another drawing.

The by now, rather large duck that sat on her lap flapped its wings slightly, and began preening its back. She'd tried to draw on Mister Feathers once, but he'd run off and she hadn't been able to find him until dinner time, so she hadn't tried again.

Zato chewed on nothing for a brief minute.
"I was actually thinking I'd like to explore the town." he said. "It's been a while since I've left the temple, and I'd like to see how the world has changed since I've last seen it." the old monk spoke.

Mary hadn't been paying attention to what the others had been saying, her mind busy cogitating bigger and more important things.

But, there are some words bound to snap a child back to this world, and in this case they were 'explore' and 'town'.

She wobbled slightly, her small frame becoming more upright, the girls eyes got slightly wider as she looked over at the monks.

"I WANT TO EXPLORE TOO" she squeaked, the words practically bubbling from her mouth and disturbing the sleeping duck on her lap.

She looked up expectantly at the monks.

Morr was silent for a few moments, his helmeted gaze on brother Zato and milady Mary.

Finally, he spoke again, gravelly voice intoning as usual "Very well then, brother Zato, milady Mary, but keep away from the docks and other run-down parts of the town at any cost, the prize might easily be your very lives.", before he turned to weibel Belatia "Four teams, one five-man and three six-man ones, add me to the five-man team and it will stand at six. Investigate the lower-class parts of the town, preferrably those around the dock-districts, but do not show much inclination to focus on the latter for now, have them think that our main assumption lies with the slums. If you spot sister Vanessa, integrate her into your group for the time being, any able hand capable of wielding a sword is needed."

Only the latter of his words drew a stare from Belatia, although she, as always, stayed silent in regards to orders issued to the rest of the expedition. The teams were soon divided as Morr had commanded, the Hellguards exiting the inn in their ordered groups and, after some farewells, set on their way into the depths of the town.

Rose just fliped a strand of hair out of her face and said ";Tsk tsk no fun you are come on let me go with you";. Vanssea inched her bladed out more and said ";no ";again. The girls stood there staring at each other with their blades drawn half way out. Rose had two ugly looking curved daggers while Vanessa"s where small and stright. the question is who will win if the two girls went at it.

"Well it's settled then!" the blind old man stood up and beckoned the little girl over.
"Looks like we get to go out on our own, Mary."

She grabbed the duck off her lap and held it up in the air above her.

"You hear that Mister Feathers? We get to have fun in the Town!"

The duck wriggled and struggled in the air before the girl pulled the duck back against her chest, where it resigned itself to limply snuggling up against her.

She stood up and moved over to the blind monk, grabbing his hand and practically pulling him out the door.

"Lets go look at all pretty things in town Mister Zato!"

"Not to fast now!" the old monk said as he was led onto the streets.

The pair soon disappeared into the crowd, the cacophony of and old man and little girl laughing echoing behind them.

The Hellguard's main objective, as commanded by Morr, was indeed to draw attention away from the docks. They began to do so by sending one of the teams one a short sweep through said port, only to show that they had indeed investigated it to the many eyes that were on them, just to make sure that no peculiarity may become obvious. After said superficial search, the teams concentrated rather on the areas around the marketplace, as well as the generally poorer districts, asking supposed witnesses of what they had seen.

Of course, they received no clear answers, fear shut their mouths and dulled their memories, and Morr forbade them to use the threat of violence as a means of persuasion, after all, they were indeed on the best way of fulfilling their main objective for the time-being: draw attention.

The girls were drawing people's attation fast and still they did not seem to move much. Just then rose took one blade out all the way and licked it with her tongue saying ";wish i could have been there to see your mother';s eyes when she realized dear old brother in law sold her soal to the devil and your fathers at his own brothers doing";. Vanessa had to hold her anger back knowing full well Rose was trying to get her to make the first swing.

The pair had been playing in the city for a while when Zato heard a crowd starting to form. Adjusting the colorful, decorative top hat on his head, he moved, still holding Mary's hand, towards the sound. Vanessa's voice came from the center; it appeared that she was talking to someone else.
"Vanessa, is that you? I didn't know you were in town as well!" he called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom