Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Interest check for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilistic_Impact

Brigadista
Supporter
Let's have a more current thread up in here.

Now I'm interested in potentially GMing something, I'm most knowledgeable with pathfinder as my 3.5 knowledge comes from back before they even had a Player's Handbook 2 and I've never touched 4th.

This isn't to say I wouldn't be interested in giving either a try with someone else at the helm.

Sometime in the next few months. It's gonna be in playtest for a year-year and a half before they do anything final.

Also, once it's in open beta I will totally be willing to run it for BM peeps.

I started up an interest check for D100 if anyone is interested.

There is 5th Edition coming out? Damn already? Well didn't see that coming. 4th was really awesome, I'm gonna miss it. XD

I have two of the books; but I'm unsure of running such a game.

I know for sure not to mix taggers with others.

Haha, yeah, everyone says that, or they say that the balance is screwed up, but from when I read the books (about a year ago >.>) I'm pretty sure I remember they advise you to not mix anything together, and to have each 'genre' of character on their own: Normies vs tagers/giant robots vs parapsychics/arcane separate.

I'd be interested in a Pathfinder or 3.5 game if anyone's willing to GM, possibly nWoD. In terms of type of campaign, I'd like to suggest something focusing on exploration and adventure, a group willing to take whatever job or quest comes their way just to see what's over the next horizon.

So, now that a theme of the rp has been partially suggested, exploration, does anyone have setting suggestions?

I'd not mind that theme at all. On the one hand it is sandboxy which is fun, but at the same time there's a certain amount of structure implied (need the next job, need the money! this of course implies a low-money, possibly low level and low magic).

For a setting, I'd prefer something to do with pirates/ships. I've wanted to do one for ages, but have never gotten to. Otherwise, andything that's not an established setting is fine for me. :3

I'd be alright with that, though I would suggest at least normal xp progression simply because forum games always take a very long time compared to tabletop play; a single dungeon crawl could take months, and one combat encounter upwards of a week.

Ships could be done well; I played a exploration-type game once where the game world was a massive archipelago, with hundreds of small to large islands scattered about an ocean.

Hmm, I dunno how it could work, but I read a discussion somewhere about making a game specifically for pbp, and someone mentioned the idea of combat not being the round-by-round think we know, but where each person say what their tactics will be for the encounter, and the gm then resolves the entire encounter.

Would that be workable?

For someone like a barbarian who just attacks the biggest thing on the map, maybe. But most classes, especially in Pathfinder, have far too many options to cover every eventuality in pre-fight tactics, and if rolls go badly then their tactics are suddenly horrible choices.

In a different system, where a combat scene can be resolved in only a few dice rolls, then that sort of thing would work. I think the system would have to be designed to allow that. What I've usually done in games like this is just put a time limit on combat turns. Everyone posts their actions regardless of initiative order, and when everyone's posted GM resolves them in order. Anyone who hasn't posted in 24-48 hours gets NPC'd for the turn.

Yeah, I've been in a couple of pbp games, and that annoys me. But the thing about the encounter combat instead of turn combat, I don't know how it would be resolved, and I wasn't thinking that the GM would actually make a whole bunch of rolls for the encounter for each hit and damage and save. But yeah, no idea how it would actually be done, I just think if something could be worked out, it would help pbp games a lot.

There are systems that lend themselves to that sort of thing. Wushu, for example. In it, players describe what their character is doing during combat (including the effects of their actions) and the dice just say how effective they were in terms of the larger plot/combat. Can't remember most of the details, but it's along the lines of the group needing twelve successes to pass a horde of mooks, and every failed roll reduces their health.

How strictly do we want to follow the mechanics system? Text based rp tends to make some of the abstraction unnecessary.

My feeling is that story trumps rules. If the story is better served by setting a rule or two aside, then that's fine by me.

Alright, so we've determined that this will be a low level, 1st lvl, game of exploration involving ships sailing about an archipelago.

Does everyone want to be on the same ship? What level of technology are we allowing, PF has a gunslinger class and I know people adore airships. And how do we want to start starting gold, because people like nice things and starting gold can be a bit limiting in what equipment an individual can afford.

For the strictness of mechanics, I like the detail of characters in 3.5/pathfinder, but I like that detail there as detail, not necessarily as something to do with the rules.

For the ships, I'd prefer if we were on one ship serving an NPC captain at first. And for gold, it makes sense if we don't have much, so we have to explore and get jobs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom