Lessons from a Dragon (Ruphhausin and Finn)

"Yes, you could. I am trusting you not to, especially in times like these. I just have a lot of trouble helping myself with you, Ginny.. but now I am going to share something with you that perhaps will make you understand some things a lot better."

He waited, making it very clear that if she did really decide to run that was her choice, but his eyes told her that she would miss out if she did. They also told her that if she really wanted to leave, she could have already.

Ginny looked back toward the castle, sighing before turning to look back at Draco. "Alright... Tell me what you were going to say. Maybe then I'll decide whether or not I can trust you."

Draco let her watch him cast a Gibberish spell around them, one that she would know would prevent anyone from hearing or understanding what they say while talking. It would sound like what one expected to hear, not what was actually said. He looked down for a minute, then at Ginny with concern for how she would handle it.

"Ginny... I am helping Dumbledore with work to prevent HIM from returning to power.... he has asked me to help him and other members of those who helped stop HIM before."

He knew she would know who he meant by HIM, but he was ready to say it if needed.

Ginny studied Draco's face for any hint that he was lying to her, taking a step closer when she realized he was being totally honest with her.

"You really are worried about me.. What I can't figure out is why you would team up with someone you hated before."

Draco sighed, looking and Ginny. He didn't know how to explain his feelings, some of which were very intense. He wanted to try, so he did his best.

"There is a secret order, called the Order of the Phoenix.. I am related to one of them.. I.. I know the truth about HIM... he is deceiving all of his ... followers. As much as I dislike Potter... I am starting to respect and trust him.. but I want you... I want to be with you... as well."

Ginny took a cautious step toward Draco, nodding. She had eavesdropped on a few of the Order's meetings over the summer, with the help of the twins' Extendable Ears.

"I know of the Order of the Phoenix. My parents are part of the group, as is Harry's godfather. But what will happen to you if your father finds out about your involvement with them?"

Draco shook his head, too in need of honesty now after years of manipulation and lies.

"I cannot worry about that, Ginny. Somethings about myself I cannot change, like wanting you as badly as I do, but others I can. I cannot let fear blind me to what is right, anymore. I know what I did was wrong as far as with you goes, but sometimes the wrong thing for the right reason is good too. But Lucius and Nacissa need to learn that right is not about might but about what is right. Who my family is does not make me better than anyone else, no matter what they say.. no more than what House I am makes me bad or good."

Drako had a resolute look in his eyes, saying he didn't fear for himself. That didn't mean he was not afraid, rather that he knew that he himself could not go back as he feared what that, or doing nothing, would lead to.

"I do want you, Ginny. I don't totally know what that means, but I know I do not doubt that either."

Back
Top Bottom