Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Suggestion Rule 13 should be adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

13. Plagiarism (the copying of another member's content, includes writing, art, and Request Threads/plot ideas, and claiming them as your own) is not tolerated. This includes posting ideas from other members that you acknowledge are not your own, but that you do not have permission to use.

hi. let me try to explain this rule as best as i can.
rule 13 is basically implemented for creative purposes to protect members' efforts and creations/work.

first of all, this rule has nothing to do with fandoms. if members here wants to roleplay in jk rowling's universe, that's no problem ~ no one is claiming that hogwarts is their idea. and when you see people post plots and pairings in this magical universe, they do not claim any of rowling's characters as their own. instead, they write that they write canon characters (aka not original characters) or original characters (these are characters they have created themselves but put in rowling's universe). i've never seen anyone claim that harry potter is their original character, but if i posted a plot where wanted to play harry potter's daughter, evelyn potter, in an alternative hp universe where she's captured by death eaters, i could do that. but if another member posts the same plot ~ wanting to play harry potter's daughter in this alternative hp universe who is captured by death eaters, now THAT would be plagiarism. even if they changed the name to olivia potter, it wouldn't matter. but like sync previously mentioned ~ if you ask for PERMISSION first, it does not count as plagiarism.

the same goes for
characters. anyone can play a vampire if they'd like, but if i create a vampire with a specific background, powers, relations, etc, and someone else posts this exact character in their thread ~ it's plagiarism. now, again, if someone asks me "hey, do you mind if i create a vampire based on yours?", it wouldn't be. most likely, if you ask first, you will get a yes. most people like it when people like their stuff and wants to use it as inspiration. but straight-out stealing without permission is not cool.

also, artwork. as long as you don't claim any of the pictures or gifs to be yours ~ no one is gonna bat an eyelash, and if someone wants to use this in their thread, you can't really stop them. BUT, you can't use the artwork in the same fashion without clearing it with the person who posted it first. so, let me explain what is cool and what isn't. if you see someone post a sensual gif where the guy fucks the woman from behind. oh! that's just what your character is about to do in your roleplay. use it ~ no one is gonna care. but if i post a moodboard of gifs in my journal and you use that exact moodboard (or maybe you even exchange a few gifs) to create a nice intro post to your public roleplay because it's got the right vibe ~ that's not cool. at least not without asking first.

now, let's say one of the designers here creates a
graphic for a character they're gonna use in a roleplay, and you just looove the way they made it ~ blurry in the bottom, a colored splash in the corner, first name in bold, last name in cursive. if you create a similar graphic using your face claim and your character's name without permission to use their graphic for inspiration ~ that's plagiarism. because you did not come up with that idea even if you made the graphic from scratch and that's not cool.

request threads. . . this is a bit tricky, because there are only so many ways to create those since we all add more or less the same things in it. but a rule of thumb ~ don't copy-paste anything and switch someone else's information with your own. and if you're gonna use the same layout or make something that even resembles the same layout ~ ask that person first.

when it comes to
writing, it varies. if you see someone post a starter and you're like "oh, i'd love to start an rp like that" and you basically copy their starter (or write a new one from scratch but it's basically the same), tweak it so it's from your character's perspective and perhaps switch out a few details ~ that's plagiarism. now, if you write them a message asking them if it's okay if you write a starter based on theirs, maybe they'll say yes. if they don't, you have to respect it and you'll have to come up with something else. the same goes for if you see someone post a journal post, a writing sample or a short story. do not steal this and do not claim it as your own. it's pretty simple.

rule 13 might be restricted to this site and its members, but that does not mean that you can plagiarize stuff from other sites and post it here and claim it as your own.

i really hope this helped clarify a few things!!

13. Plagiarism (the copying of another member's content, includes writing, art, and Request Threads/plot ideas, and claiming them as your own) is not tolerated. This includes posting ideas from other members that you acknowledge are not your own, but that you do not have permission to use.

hi. let me try to explain this rule as best as i can.

first of all, this rule has nothing to do with
fandoms. if members here wants to roleplay in jk rowling's universe, that's no problem ~ no one is claiming that hogwarts is their idea. and when you see people post plots and pairings in this magical universe, they do not claim any of rowling's characters as their own. instead, they write that they write canon characters (aka not original characters) or original characters (these are characters they have created themselves but put in rowling's universe). i've never seen anyone claim that harry potter is their original character, but if i wanted to play harry potter's daughter, evelyn potter, in an alternative hp universe where she's captured by death eaters, i could do that. but if another member posts the same plot ~ wanting to play harry potter's daughter in this alternative hp universe who is captured by death eaters, now THAT would be plagiarism. even if they changed the name to olivia potter, it wouldn't matter. but like sync previously mentioned ~ if you ask for PERMISSION first, it does not count as plagiarism.

the same goes for
characters. anyone can play a vampire if they'd like, but if i create a vampire with a specific background, powers, relations, etc, and someone else posts this exact character in their thread ~ it's plagiarism. now, again, if someone asks me "hey, do you mind if i create a vampire based on yours?", it wouldn't be. most likely, if you ask first, you will get a yes. most people like it when people like their stuff and wants to use it as inspiration. but straight-out stealing without permission is not cool.

also, artwork. as long as you don't claim any of the pictures or gifs to be yours ~ no one is gonna bat an eyelash, and if someone wants to use this in their thread, you can't really stop them. BUT, you can't use the artwork in the same fashion without clearing it with the person who posted it first. so, let me explain what is cool and what isn't. if you see someone post a sensual gif where the guy fucks the woman from behind. oh! that's just what your character is about to do in your roleplay. use it ~ no one is gonna care. but if i post a moodboard of gifs in my journal and you use that exact moodboard (or maybe you even exchange a few gifs) to create a nice intro post to your public roleplay because it's got the right vibe ~ that's not cool. at least not without asking first.

now, let's say one of the designers here creates a
graphic for a character they're gonna use in a roleplay, and you just looove the way they made it ~ blurry in the bottom, a colored splash in the corner, first name in bold, last name in cursive. if you create a similar graphic using your face claim and your character's name without permission to use their graphic for inspiration ~ that's plagiarism. because you did not come up with that idea even if you made the graphic from scratch and that's not cool.

request threads. . . this is a bit tricky, because there are only so many ways to create those since we all add more or less the same things in it. but a rule of thumb ~ don't copy-paste anything and switch someone else's information with your own. and if you're gonna use the same layout or make something that even resembles the same layout ~ ask that person first.

when it comes to
writing, it varies. if you see someone post a starter and you're like "oh, i'd love to start an rp like that" and you basically copy their starter (or write a new one from scratch but it's basically the same), tweak it so it's from your character's perspective and perhaps switch out a few details ~ that's plagiarism. now, if you write them a message asking them if it's okay if you write a starter based on theirs, maybe they'll say yes. if they don't, you have to respect it and you'll have to come up with something else. the same goes for if you see someone post a journal post, a writing sample or a short story. do not steal this and do not claim it as your own. it's pretty simple.

rule 13 might be restricted to this site and its members, but that does not mean that you can plagiarize stuff from other sites and post it here and claim it as your own.

i really hope this helped clarify a few things!!

Yep, was aware of all that.

I’d appreciate it if you could just lock this thread or something. I’m tired of people jumping down my throat for having an opinion on a rule.

Thank you for taking the time and, even if you disagree with my view, being polite about it. :)

i'll lock this thread now since the discussion has gotten way out of hand and the original suggestion is no longer being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom