Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Mosque Near Ground Zero--Good or Bad?

Persecuting all Muslims because of the 9/11 hijackers is like persecuting all Christians because of Fred Phelps. Different in degree, yes, but the essential blamelessness of the whole for the actions of a few crazy zealots is still accurate.

However, expecting humanity to change is like expecting water to run uphill. As a species, we're mob mentality brutes, tending to violence and fear over understanding and reasoned thought. Selfishness over generosity. What gains we have made on the course of what we yet consider "higher" goals have been made despite our natural tendencies, not in collusion with them. We know what we ought to learn from this tragedy, but I don't expect we'll be actually learning it anytime soon.

Unfortunately MM, that is painfully true. I wish that I could say different of our species as a whole, but we're a destructive race, and always will be. Though we have to maintain hope that the advances we've made in spite of our nature are enough to offer some form of redemption to us.

I would like to think that those small victories can make a larger difference someday.

If I might share an opinion, let them do whatever they like (in terms of where and when they worship of course)

If Christians wanted to build a church we would have no problem, if the Dali Lama wanted a temple there then people would happily let him build it. TO have a double standard because many people fear this religion is deplorable in my opinion.

That being said once it is built we should put a temple and a church next door to it, alls fair after all.

That's pretty much the point I made in my long ranting post, Google. I just did a lot of talking where you got straight to the point. ^_^

Didn't mean to steal your thunder or anything mate... just wanted to show my opinion

I think that is an excellent point, Terrorists want us to fear them, right now we fear muslims so much they cant build a YMMA in new york

Google said:
That being said once it is built we should put a temple and a church next door to it, alls fair after all.

Sure, if by "we", you mean "you", and you want to buy the land and fund the religious buildings.

Well, I mean that it's still a touchy subject, but if they waited about ten years, perhaps it would be less... controversial?

Would one more year really make that much of a difference, I'm not saying that it wasn't terrible and that it doesn't still affect people... but to say that there is a time limit that you can put on grief and that this time limit must affect the choices of others is silly.

I'm not saying that there is. It's just that it seems that nine years ago, it was an extremely touchy subject, and it still is. If ten years pass and people are still angered by it or not, that's what should matter. People's feelings about it, I guess.

Im not saying that you are wrong, but people will always be mad about what happened. I'm not saying we should move on, but anger won't help anyone

There's always going to be some idiot complaining, hell there were complaints about the Cloverfield movie because it was too soon after 9/11 to have a monster wreck NYC.

"Too soon" is entirely in the mind of the griever. And because of that, there are people for whom 100 years is too soon. You can't put a time limit on grief, but as part of the same coin, you can't expect everybody to cater to the few sufferers who linger.

There's been plenty of time for the majority of citizenry. The lives lost have been more than made up for with people killed in countries other than Saudi Arabia, where most of the hijackers came from, if you're into eye-for-an-eye justice. Just because some people aren't ready to move on to the next stages of the grieving process doesn't mean everything in the city has to stop just for them.

I'm not saying "get over it," but their choosing to linger in their suffering is not a sufficient reason to hold up progress of any sort.

Not really, from my point of view. The "eye-for-an-eye" solution. Just doesn't sit right with me, I guess.

Since I haven't personally lost anyone from 9/11 (or know friends that have lost someone), I wouldn't know. So, is there really an actual point to placing this mosque there, or..?

I think i remember reading on NPR that some of the folks behind the push against this community center were from an anti-Islam group that started in the UK. Had a slogan "Racism is the lowest form of human stupidity, but Islamophobia is the height of common sense."

So, you know. They'll probably never be cool with something like this.

Some of what Islamic movements have done in the United Kingdom is absolutely despicable and is fully deserving of scorn.

Tainting all of them with that brush will just make more of them like that, however.

Read and agree with most of you. Let them build their damn center. I love [the ideas] our country was founded on, even though most of them are trampled on today by the very government that are supposed to protect it. But I have a better idea that will provide much more entertainment and that will dwindle the overpopulation of America... Let's just make Religion illegal. I mean, if we're going to try to take away someone's rights to build a place of worship somewhere, let's just take it all away. No more religion!

In all honesty, it would probably make this country a lot better after the ten years of chaos. Actually, it wouldn't even be that long. Christians make up the majority here; after that happened most of them would commit suicide in fear that the anti-Christ was here. The others would just flee to Canadia-land or something.

I don't want a mosque built there. I have nothing against Muslims or the Islamic faith. The WTC is a monument to the pain and suffering caused by religious extremism and terrorism, and well, it might just be my asshole-self talking, but I feel it is a bit of an insult to build there.

But what do I know? This is merely my opinion. But if they build a mosque there, I wonder if people in the area with their mental and emotional wounds still scarring, how they would treat the Muslims next to something that was, in a way, caused by the extreme faith of the Quar'an and of the Islamic Faith.

as said above, also, I know there is right of free speech, and hell, let anyone damn-well exercise it thoroughly. But my opinion is my opinion, judge me or don't judge me by it.

Back
Top Bottom