Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Marry Me {DemonHuntress12}

Avery was....truly taken aback. He hadn't expected to be greeted so well, to have Dorian be so kind to him. He had expected a frosty reception and a disinterested fiance. This was difficult to get used to. His eyes widened a little as Dorian's hand reached out to him, grabbing his shoulder.

"I...Thank you. I really do appreciate it" He murmured, looking down. He couldn't even look at him. He was causing such a fuss. Taking a breath, he decided to be honest. "They are my favourite and to have them so far away from home would be nice"

Dorian gave Avery a reassuring smile, pulling his hand away. Whilst he had been doing it, it hadn’t felt wrong to touch the other but now, he felt like he might have crossed a line. But… maybe this was just a good step disguised by awkwardness.

“I’ll make sure that you get what you like and… Maybe I should let you go. You probably have to unpack your things and start making yourself comfortable in your room. I can have something brought up for you but I think my mother would like us all to assemble for dinner later today.”

Avery just smiled. Prince Dorian was being so kind to him he truly hadn't expected it. He nodded when he spoke, wanting a little time alone (and by alone he meant with Jakob hovering) to get comfortable and settle into what was his new home.

"I'd like to join you all for dinner" He admitted, wanting to speak with the princesses and the Queen. They had been kind to him, he wanted to get to know them as well. This was to be his family, surely it was normal to want to become close to them?

Dorian bowed low at the waist before Avery, smiling warmly at him. “I’ll come and get you when the time comes for it.” He explained, before turning around and heading out of the door.

He had to resist the urge to slam the doors closed behind him and press his back against them to try and stop his heart from beating a mile a minute. All of a sudden, his blood had rushed to his head, was pounding through his ears and he couldn’t seem to breathe,

Avery nodded and smiled as Dorian left, waving to him before he closed the doors and put a hand to his chest. His heart felt like it was beating out of his chest. What was happening. Jakob came over to him and rested a hand on his shoulder. "My Prince...would you like me to unpack?" Jakob offered.

Thankful for the distraction, Avery nodded. "Yes, please....I'll help" He said, setting to unpacking his belongings with his retainer.

With one hand clasped to the front of his shirt, directly over his heart, Dorian swore that his heart was going to beat out of his chest. Desperate to get out of the vicinity, he ran down towards his room and darted inside, shutting the door behind him and hoping that the slam only sounded loud in his head.

Flinging himself down on his couch, he seized a cushion and crushed his face with it, screaming into the material.

Avery heard...something that sounded like a door slamming and hoped it was nothing to do with him. He doubted it, he had to stop worrying so much. He and Jakob unpacked his belongings and then he had a wash, cleaning himself down from the travel.

When he got out, Jakob had already laid out a new outfit for him to wear and was no where to be seen. He assumed he was learning the layout so that he could best assist Avery when needed. After getting dressed, Avery sat down with a book, deciding to read for a short while.

After a few minutes of screaming himself hoarse, Dorian did wha the could to pull himself together. Slapping himself sharply across the face, splashing some water into his face and giving himself a hard shake, Dorian made a promise to himself.

“You. You are not going to make an idiot out of yourself like you just did.” He swore, his own face staring back at him from the mirror. From there, he pulled out a fresh set of clothes and changed into them, brushing out his hair and tying it back up.

The book was...only marginally distracting. Avery's mind was wondering and he couldn't truly get into it. It was frustrating. Eventually, he snapped it shut and put it down, standing up and pacing the room. What should he do? He didn't know how to occupy himself here.

After a little while, he made up his mind and went to his door. He was going to have a walk around and get used to his new home. He left the room and looked from side to side, picking a random direction and starting to walk. Perhaps a walk and the new scenery would clear his mind.

Dorian hoped that some time spent out in the sun, taking in some fresh air, might be good for him to compose himself. But any plans that he had were scuppered the moment he stepped outside and saw that Prince Avery, apparently, had the same idea.

Mercifully, he hadn’t left his room and instead, he lurked behind the door. Ashamed of his own cowardice but unable to move out, he watched the other Prince until he had vanished from sight. Sighing in relief, Dorian slipped out his room and headed in the opposite direction.

Avery didn't notice Prince Dorian, nor did he noticed that his door was even slightly open. He hadn't even looked to his door. He walked down the hall, not knowing where he was going and passing a few servants on his way. He wasn't sure where he wanted to go but he needed to clear his head.

This whole thing was so confusing...it was all too much. He just wanted to feel comfortable. He didn't feel comfortable at home, always being watched, perhaps here he could? He was being as optimistic as he could.

Dorian slipped straight towards the kitchen and a back door he knew would spit him outside the palace and he was eager to spend some time on his own. He didn’t give a thought towards where Avery might be, thinking that he would be able to find his own way or might even enjoy the time to wander around on his own.

Ducking his head when he reached the kitchens, Dorian hurried out the back door, stepping out into the sunlight and heading straight for his favourite place. An immense wave of relief crashed down upon him.

Avery...was lost. Very lost. He had no idea where he was but that was nice. He was enjoying thinking about something else. He was more now thinking about where else he could go. There were a few open doors and he looked in to each, spotting different drawing rooms and lounges.

He eventually reached a dead end with a large window and he looked out into the grounds. Everything here was...more colourful. He was used to the snow covering everything, having a place so sunny and warm. It was odd to him. No wonder his mother had gotten him clothes to deal with the warmth.

Dorian retreated around to sit underneath one of his favourite tree in the garden, one that he knew to be completely out of sight of any of the windows of the palace. With a sigh, he leaned against the trunk, rolling his shoulders back and closed his eyes, resting his head back on his hands.

He had been so focused on preparing everything and making sure that nothing went wrong for Prince Avery’s arrival, he had become so uncomfortable in his own skin. He would have preferred to have a nice long bath but spending an hour or so out here would be just as good.

Avery stared out at the scenery for a long time, enjoying the view and contemplating the difference between here and his own home...or what was his home? He was to stay here, he had been shipped off and there was no way Prince Dorian would ever come to live at his. He was the first born, he had to stay. Avery was the youngest son, he didn't matter as much.

After a while, he pushed himself away from the window and carried on his exploration, getting himself even more lost but still enjoying it. It was almost relaxing to have no idea where he was, knowing he eventually would. It was nice to be on his own. He had been fussed around by his family before him leaving and then, when he arrived, he was thrust into the thick of it. Not that they weren't all lovely! But it was nice to think by himself.

Dorian slowly felt all of the struggle and strain and pressure melt off his brain and body. It seemed that he had needed this brief reprieve more than he had thought before and as he stretched himself out, the stress dropped away like a stone thrown from heaven. He knew that he should have attended to Prince Avery but he couldn’t bring himself to care all too much.

Feeling the cool breeze play across his face as the warmth of the sun streamed through the trees in golden ribbons, Dorian was reminded of how he would spend his afternoons like this. He’d escape from his teachers and lessons and, with some help from the servants, he would climb out through the window or hide in the kitchens, stuffing himself on snacks or treats they would sneak to him. All until someone found him.

"Prince Dorian, may I have a word?"

Jakob hated to interrupt the Prince's peace but he had seen him walking alone and had followed, deciding that now would be the best time to talk. Especially since his own Prince was elsewhere. Still, he hoped the Prince didn't find him too presumptuous and rude for his trying to speak with him. He bowed low, eyes on the floor as he waited to be acknowledged.

If he was told to leave, he would in an instant with many apologies. However, it was important that he had a conversation with his Prince's betrothed at some point.

Jerking back to consciousness from the doze that he had been slipping into, Dorian snorted, an inelegant, unrefined sound that would have been better suited to a pig waking up in its sty. Blinking quickly to himself, he sat up and looked at Jakob, wondering how in the world he had found him. But he held back from asking.

“Uhm…” His mouth was dry and his tongue seemed to be stuck in place but he shook himself back to reality. “Ye-Yes?” He asked, rubbing his eyes.

"My thanks" Jakob said, staying in his bow until Prince Dorian said that he was happy for him to talk. He truly was grateful and he hoped that this would continue when he begun to speak. He had practiced what to say but now it came to it he was nervous.

"I wished to talk with you about my Prince. You probably noticed from you conversation with him earlier that he is...sheltered. As a servant I have more freedom than him as a Prince" Jakob admitted, looking around to make sure that no one would overhear him. He probably shouldn't be saying anything that he was about to but he felt that it was necessary for this to work out for his Prince.

Standing up, yawning and unsteady on his own feet, Dorian straightened up to look Jakob in the face. “So… What is….” His incomplete question was answered when Jakob began to talk. What he heard, made him want to sit back down though.

“Y-Yes… In truth, I didn’t want to say anything because I was… I suppose you could say that I was nervous about upsetting him when we had only just met. If I may confide in you, I would like it if Prince Avery and I were to get along. We may be engaged but we are strangers. I want to be more than that.” He explained, feeling stupid as he faced the other man head on.

It probably would have upset Avery. He would have tried to defend himself, to defend the life his father had given him and struggled. Jakob was pleased that Prince Dorian had decided not to say anything. He straightened as the Prince continued to speak, confiding in him his desires for their relationship.

"My Prince wishes that as well. He was told that he could marry who he chose, that he would be able to marry for love, but this alliance...it comes first and he understands that" Jakob said slowly. "I'm sure he would be overjoyed to hear that you at least wish to be friends. He had worried about a spouse that despised him"

Dorian pressed his hands together and laced his fingers in between each other, looking at the other man. He had always trusted the servants employed by his family, he had believed that they were able to hold his secrets like precious treasures. But… he didn’t even know their names.

“I know… If I may be honest, I was always hoping that I would while the days away, charming any young lady or man I met into sharing my bed but since this alliance has all but been set in stone, that dream has died. “Could… Could you tell me a little about him?” He asked, feeling as if they were plotting something.

Jakob considered the question. What should he tell the Prince about Avery? He could simply talk him up, tell him all of his good points, but he had a feeling that it wouldn't work out. Avery had his own flaws and Prince Dorian would eventually find them if their marriage worked out.

"He is...kind. His innocence is endearing but can be frustrating at times. His father has kept him in the dark about a lot of things. He has three older brothers with more freedom than him. He was a sickly child, there were a few scares, and so I personally believe that his parents chose to protect him against everything, regardless of the consequences" Jakob said, smiling a little as he thought about the Prince. "His favourite colour is blue and he enjoys painting and reading. He adores his older sister and trusts her opinion on everything. He hates spicy foods and can be very stubborn with those he feels comfortable with"

"I suppose...I would implore you to give him a chance. Neither of you wanted this match but I hope that some good can come from it" Jakob said, bowing low again as he made his request.

Dorian worried his lower lip with his teeth as the seconds seemed to stretch out between the two of them. He wanted to know about Avery, all that he could know. The suddenness of their engagement, the surprise of it all and the distance between them had done more damage than he had thought.

“I could see this from the beginning. We are opposites in these regards… My favourite colour is green and I prefer horse riding to sitting down and reading things. As you’ve seen, I only have younger siblings and all but one are women…” He expressed, feeling as if the right thing to do was to hang his head but he couldn’t think of anything that he might have done that he might feel bad about. “I’ve been willing to give him a chance from the moment he’s arrived… I’ve been fearing that he wouldn’t want to have anything to do with me because… I thought he might blame me for this.”

He looked back at the palace and bit his lip again. “Could you show me where he is? I think I have something that he might like to see.” Dorian suggested, his mind beginning to work.

It was disappointing to hear how different the two Princes were, although Jakob still had hope. Perhaps they could still bond over other things. They were both complex people and, even if they couldn't find anything in common, perhaps they could bond over their differences? Opposites were said to attract...

"He does not" Jakob assured Prince Dorian, standing straight as he listened to the Prince's concerns. "There is only one person he blames and it is not you. He...he wished to make a good impression, he wants to make this work, and he has told me that he hopes you can at least become good friends" They'd had a lot to talk about in the carriage ride over, in between Avery's sulking fits.

"I can try. I believe he went for a walk but I can find him easily usually" Jakob said, curious as to what Prince Dorian wanted to share. He would leave the two alone once he helped them meet. With that, he turned and walked back to the palace, entering and thinking about where he had last seen his Prince.

Back
Top Bottom