Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Can a Mercenary be merciful?

Samson said nothing more at that point, choosing to close his eyes in aggravated thought once the topic was brought back up. The very idea that a woman would be "picked out for him" was not something that he was thrilled with. Rather, it was downright appalling.

He would spend a few momets calculating his words carefully before Elsa changed the subject, causing him to lose his previous train of thought and glanced at her. "I do wish that I can defend your father to the best of my ability, m'lady. It would be an outright shame if there wasn't someone that was paying attention at the front gates and allowed someone in." Samson answered as he aimed his eyes at her and quirked an eyebrow.

Elsa laughed, shaking her head and looking down at the ground for a moment. Someone should be let in. Her father shouldn't be allowed to be a tyrant. "I suppose, Samson. Since that is your job, and you're being paid to be here, I suppose it must be you who does that." she lifted her head and looked out at the town below, "Those poor people. Sometimes I wish I was one of them."

But she wasn't one of them. She was royalty, a princess. The one and only daughter of the most powerful king in Europe. A tyrant who wanted to enslave his own people. What she would give to be a commoner, a milkmaid. Working for a living, having an honorable and equally as hardworking husband. But that was not her fate.

"I can understand your wishes, Madam." Samson answered with a sagely nod of his head. "After all, there are times when I wished when I didn't have this job. Besides, it gets rather redundant after so long." He added, shaking his head as he too looked down the hill to the town below.

"Reason as to why I say this is because it seems to me that everyone from crooked kings to rather unsavory concilmen are needing favors out of someone like me. Usually after some time they even try to spring a contract on me 'asking' me to work for them full time, all of which I immediately decline." He continued, frowning slightly as he spoke.

"In truth, I have other things to be doing, which rarely happens." He concluded, his voice sounding as if he was speaking his very own thoughts.

"Oh, do you? What other things do you have to be doing?" she smiled when he said that, she wanted to know what he liked. She didn't believe that he could really 'like' being a mercenary. She knew it had its perks and it was a steady means of income (everyone needed security at one time or another), but how could anyone really like being one? You never got to be at home, you couldn't live in peace.

She turned as they walked, veering along the path in the gardens, deeper into them and away from the palace. She wanted to be out of sight of the palace, in case her father decided to look for her. She didn't want him to ruin being alone with Samson, she was so drawn to him, he was so interesting.

"Relaxing in my winter villa near the Arklay Mountains, practicing my sword technique near a vast lake. All things that come with my profession." Samson answered with a shrug of his shoulders as he walked with her still before noticing that the two had now veered off a path that ventured deeper into the castle garden as the palace walls were now growing further and further away.

"And so my question must be asked." Samson spoke up. "What would you prefer to be doing if you didn't wish to be a princess anymore?" He then asked as he veered his eyes over to her and smiled gently.

Elsa thought it was nice that he had other things he enjoyed doing, even if some of them were related to his killing profession. It made him more of a real person, the fact that his life wasn't all killing. More of a real man, too. Her father told her that a man was measured by two things: his ability in battle and his ability in bed. Elsa thought differently. She thought a man's ability to think reasonably and lead were what seperated the weak from the strong. The rest was important, sure, but not nearly so much as the others.

She thought for a moment before answering him. She wasn't sure just how much she could trust him. He was so incredibly handsome and charming that it was possible he was a spy from her father, sent to get the truth out of her. She didn't think that was the case though. He seemed so genuine. "I want to actually do things. I never do anything for myself. I don't dress myself, bathe myself, pick out my clothes, decide what I'm doing for the day. All that is decided by my tutor and my father, with handmaidens running around to dress and bathe me. It's horrible. I've always just wanted to do those things for myself. To work for what I get, not have it handed to me."

Samson arched an eyebrow when he had heard this all from her, spoken directly from her heart. It was a rather noble notion; to be able to do things for oneself, but since she was in a position of power, it was remotely impossible and completely unheard of as according to some of the upper echleon of people in this society.

Nodding purely in understanding, Samson remarked thusly. "I can sense your frustration and dissatisfaction, Elsa." He answered in a sagely manner. "But sometimes things happen for reasons we cannot begin to understand, even if it took us thousands of years to grasp even the technical terms of it all." He added, nodding a few times as well.

"But I do believe there is something that my mentor once said." Samson continued, closing his eyes in thought. "He said, 'Given the choice; whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw than to face one's destiny. What was a king to do?'" He explained before turning to Elsa and spoke once more. "In your case, Elsa, I do believe you are facing this dilemma."

She loved the way he spoke. He was so eloquent, so calm, so pulled together. He didn't appear so physically; he looked like a cruel and murderous man, but speaking to him told her a world of difference. She sighed when he spoke to her, her heart fluttering at his words of wisdom. It didn't matter what he thought of her, she knew that her heart was meant for him. She could tell. She'd never been affected by a man's speech before, and she was completely taken by his.

She looked up into his eyes and reached out for his hand, grabbing it boldly and holding it. "Samson...I cannot live in a corrupt empire. I cannot abide it. I know he is my father, and I love him dearly for taking care of me, but I cannot live here anymore. I have to get out, no matter how I have to do it." she squeezed his hand gently, looking up at his brazened face framed against the sky.

She had never spoken like that to anyone before. It was always "Yes, sir", "No, sir", "Yes, father", "Right away", or some other ridiculously submissive statement. She was through with that. She was ready to be who she was meant to be, and she knew that Samson could help her do that. Maybe he couldn't be with her on her entire journey, but he could at least help her begin it.

Samson stopped for a moment when Elsa stated this to him so boldly. It had been some time since he had heard such assurance in one's voice that he was not only somewhat taken back by the statement, but he was also refreshed by it as well. Once the initial shock wore off, Samson smiled at Elsa reassuringly before lifting a hand back and itched the back of his head with the same smile on his face.

"Well Elsa, you have the will, but do you have the way? If not, try looking for it." He answered in a calculatingly cryptic manner before aiming his eyes at her again. "I'll give you a hint if you don't know. It's standing right in front of you." He added.

She nodded slowly, understanding what he was saying to her. He was agreeing to help her, he was going to set her free! She would no longer live under the tyrant thumb of her father, nor would she be promised to some lewd bastard just to save her father's kingdom. She squeezed Samson's hand again and took a step closer to him, only inches seperating them.

"Yes...I have a way. You are my way," her voice held some awe in it, but it was mostly sheer happiness. She'd never felt this way before, ever. She was so sure of everything, it didn't matter how hard her goals were going to be to meet, in her mind, she'd already done the hardest part.

"I will have to talk to an extremely trusted few of my men tonight. Besides, I have a feeling that your father - while he most certainly won't die - is bound to have an... accident, if you were to say?" Samson asked, once again knowing full well of what he spoke as he watched Elsa virtually eating out of the palm of his hand. He had read her face so clearly, it was as if it were nothing more than an open book.

"Afterwards, we'll then begin putting our plan into motion." Samson added, his face suddenly becoming void of any expression. "It may take plenty of time to do this, Elsa, but by the time we're done, we'll be clear of this place and your father has some angry villagers to answer to." He concluded, his expressionless face not budging an inch.

She began to have mixed feelings now that they were talking about an actual plan. Part of her was elated: she was actually going to get out. Part of her was terrified: what if her father found out before they got away? While Samson's face was emotionless, Elsa's read a million different ones at once. She stared deep into his eyes as he spoke to her, falling harder and harder for him. It seemed to Elsa that she had fallen for him the very first time that she had seen him, and now that love was only being fleshed out.

She decided to be bold again. Boldness seemed to be working for her here, and she knew that if he didn't like it he would just push her away. She flung her arms around his neck and pulled herself close to him, hugging him as tightly as she could. "Samson...you're saving my life. I will never be able to repay you enough,"

It was sudden, but the feeling of having Elsa fling her arms around his neck was a rather different experience. The feeling of her body being this close to his own despite most of his body was still clad in the field plate ever since he had arrived. Smiling, Samson's hands drifted upwards to her back then gently patted it a few times before letting them rest there.

"It doesn't matter how you wish to pay me back, Elsa. Just knowing that you're going along with the plan is all that I need to know." Samson answered with a shake of his head.

She pulled away from him slowly, her arms still loose around him. She wanted to kiss him so badly. But she didn't. That would be terribly improper. She smiled a little and then pulled away from him completely, folding her arms in front of her modestly. She turned towards the palace and sighed a little. She needed to go back inside.

"Well, Samson. I should probably retire. My father will be looking for me soon." she was sad, she didn't want to go in. She didn't want to leave him, but she knew that she had to. She also had a strange feeling that he wasn't as into her as she was into him.

"Actually Elsa," Samson said before he extended a hand out to catch the princess by the shoulder gently. "There was one thing I wanted to ask of you before you left." He said, continuing to smile at her with a gentle look in his eyes.

"Would it..." He began, choosing his next set of words carefully. "Would it be fair or proper for someone like me to kiss someone like you?" He asked, aiming his eyes at her completely.

She turned around in surprise when he placed his hand on her shoulder. She looked at him expectantly, wondering what he could possibly have to ask her. For a split second she had a silly dream that he was going to propose to her and that they were going to run off this very night to go live in the country and have a million children...but she knew that wasn't what he was going to ask her.

Her eyes widened when he asked about the kissing. She smiled and looked down at the floor for a moment before raising her eyes to his again, "You would have to kiss me, I cannot initiate. It is improper for the lady to start."

"Then I suppose it's only fair, m'lady." Samson answered with a small smile and a slow nod of his head before stepping closer to her and gently took one of her hands and gently placed a kiss on her middle knuckle before looking up at her face with the same smile on his face as the same hand that was holding hers gently continued to hold it there as he stepped closer to her her still until they were merely centimeters away from the other.

"Here... Let me show you... How a woman is supposed to be treated..." Samson whispered to her in a soft voice before leaning in closely and placing a kiss on her lips steadily.

She began to feel flutters in her stomach when he kissed her hand. For a second she was dissapointed, was that all he was going to do? But then he stepped closer to her, their bodies closer to touching than she'd ever been with any man before. She swallowed nervously, trying to prepare herself for her very first real kiss. Sure, she'd had cordial kisses before but those weren't real. This was real.

When his lips met hers she felt like she was completely out of this world. She closed her eyes and leaned into the kiss, her lips pressing back against his. It was so simple, and yet so absolutely amazing.

During the kiss, Samson could sense a hint of nervousness coming from Elsa. But at the same time, he could also sense that she was also sense that she was also enjoying this. Smiling into the kiss, he deepened it slightly before he broke it slowly to gaze at her face.

"So... Is it what you were expecting, Elsa?" He asked after the kiss was complete while continuing to gaze at her with the same smile on his face.

She was sad when he pulled away from her, she wanted it to go on for ever and ever and ever. She wanted to kiss him until she died, but she knew it had to end eventually. She looked up at him and beamed, happier than she'd ever been in her entire life. At this moment she could not imagine greater pleasure than a simple kiss.

"Far better," she cooed to him, raising one of her hands to caress his face gently. He was a little scruffy, but she didn't mind. He was rough and real, unlike all of the disgustingly shiny suitors she had for all of her life.

"I thought so." Samson answered as he placed a hand on Elsa's cheek, touching the smooth skin of her face ever so gently as if he thought that anything rougher than that would accidentally remove a layer of flesh. "That was why I wanted to make it enjoyable for you." He added in a gentle voice all while continuing to gaze at Elsa.

She shivered lightly when he stroked her cheek, tiny sensations flowing through her body. She sighed lightly and had to restrain herself from clinging to him, which was what she really wanted to do. He was perfect, absolutely perfect. She wanted to tell him that, but she knew if he did nothing good would come from it. It would either stoke his ego or turn him away from her, neither of which she wanted. But she wanted him to know how amazing he was.

"You're unlike anyone I've ever known," she whispered to him, her hand running down from his face to his hand. She squeezed it gently and then stepped back a couple of steps reluctantly. "But I have to go now,"

In truth, it didn't hurt Samson one bit when he heard from Elsa that she had to get back in order to conclude the rest of her night. Nodding a few times in response and closing his eyes slowly only to reopen them in the same way, Samson spoke in a soft and caring voice. "I understand Elsa. We shouldn't bee too far from the castle, lest your father begins to suspect something from either one of us." He said quietly all while never taking his eyes away from the beautiful princess. "Think about my offer, though Elsa. It's the only shot that I can grant you as a means to get out of this place and to truly experience what it means to be free." He added with an intent of following through with what he had began to plan.

"I will think about it...though I'm sure I already know my answer," she said softly, a hint of mischieviousness and devilishness in her voice. She smiled at him and touched his face very lightly, gently, wanting more than anything to kiss him again. But she didn't. She took a few more steps back and then turned around, walking briskly towards the castle. Once she was a good distance away, she turned her head and saw him still standing there. She sighed softly, fighting the urge to go running back to him. She turned away to keep herself from going to him and went back into the castle, directly ascending the stairs to her bedchamber. She allowed a handmaiden to undress her and put her in her sleeping gown. Elsa sat at her vanity and brushed her hair slowly, still thinking of Samson.

As Samson watched Elsa walk away from him, there was a strong part of him that wanted to go after her. No, more like he needed to go after her. To just feel those wine-tasting lips pressing into his own once more. Samson's first thought was to just go after her and just get one more kiss from her amongst other things, but the more that he thought about it, the more that that impulse was soon denied the minute he watched her disappear into the castle, back under the thumb of her idiot-savant of a father. Something had to be done about this, but he already had her bewitched by him.

Deciding that perhaps later tonight if she was out walking around the halls, he could probably catch up with her and join her. Maybe even follow up on that impulse that was gnawing at him. With that in mind, Samson would soon straighten up and proceeded back to the castle with a straight face and headed up to his quarters, passing by the others as well.

Once he was inside the room, he moved to the closet where he had a squire take up his changes of clothes in two knapsacks. Not for nothing, but he wasn't going to need the armor for right now. Slipping out of the suit was a rather simple chore, for the suit was designed with now only his protection in mind, but also to allow him to get in and out of it. He would then spend a few minutes changing into one set of his traveling clothes, complete with a light beige fine linen longsleeved shirt, a brown pair of of denim trousers that was looped by a black leather belt that was decorated only by a shimmering steel belt buckle and black leather boots that accented his feet, reaching to under his patellas. Once in these clothes, he sighed in comfort, but he knew that this comfort would not last long. After all, he now had a two-part mission. For one, he needed to find a way to get Elsa out of the castle alive. For two, he needed to inform a select few of his trusted men that this was how its supposed to happen - to let the peasants in the castle then make a hasty retreat. It should be simple, according to how it was beginning to work out in his mind.

And yet, even as he stood there contemplating on how this would all work out, Samson began to think something else. For some reason or another, flashbacks of feeling those lips of Elsa's pressed to his own appeared in his mind. He didn't know how they were coming up at such a time when he was preparing to head back out of the castle to speak with some of his men about the plan that was beginning to move forward, but he'd have to give the princess some credit for this.

Better yet... He thought as he then stepped out of his room and out into the hallway, pondering as to what she might be doing. I wonder what you're up to. He thought as he walked through the hallway, his boots giving off a light cadence as he walked.

Back
Top Bottom