Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Please help with my character design!

Sato

Moon
I originally had made this OC for a specific plot, where he would be a bounty hunter for supernatural entities. I still want the character to have that design theme, but I want him to feel more unique? When originally designing him I wanted to pour on the "90s badass with a rough and rumble attitude" but i think he came out a bit oversaturated. Any tips on his overall design, clothing choice etc or his lineage that I could use that would make him stand out from the crowd? I would like keep the gunslinger theme to the character, but I feel 90s Dhampir badass is a bit...generic? are there any fantasy races that are humanoid or have a hybrid that might be more interesting?

Name: Zyker Heat

Appearance: Zyker is a medium height man appearing to be in his late twenties. A peanut butter complexion with short and curly platinum blonde hair combos with a circular set of maroon eyes to make a smoldering glare. He has an angular face and full lips coming together with a chiseled jawline and boxed off chin. Most times, rocking 5 o'clock shadow due to working at all hours of the night. Both ears are pierced, one with a hanging silver cross and the other with a triplet of silver rings from the helix of the ear down. He has a slim but well muscled build as his shapely chest combos into a chiseled set of abs. His abdomen flows into a classic V at his groin area set on top of a firmly built set of legs.

Zyker is more often then not dressing to his own style. Outfits can range from a bomber jacket, white t shirt with fitted jeans and a pair of leather Chelsea boots to a mesh long sleeve with black baggy cargo pants and white high top sneakers. He wears a ring on every other finger on his right hand starting at the thumb. It truly varies day to day.

Personality and more info
Usually starting off laid back, He can become loud and bullheaded when put under stress. However he takes pride in his ability to think on his feet, which often gets him out of a jam.
Zyker packs massive 22 inch twin pistols as his primary means of besting the supernatural. The gunpowder in each round is peppered with pure silver and iron soaked in holy water- just to make sure that the supernatural he unloads in aren't getting back up. Both guns having heavy modifications to support extremely large double wide magazines as well as a plethora of attachments. Zyker gets around the city in a 1997 Dodge Viper GTS in rocket red colorway. If Zyker isn't chasing demons, he's probably under the hood of this mechanical monster. Unfortunately the agency has yet to agree with his assessment of the vehicle as a "business expense" so most of its upgrades come out of his own pocket. The sports car remains a tried and true part of his arsenal.Zyke is a Dhampir but prefers to keep it on a need to know basis. But most supernatural creatures can smell his mixed blood scent from the moment he meets their gaze. The prey he hunts down underestimate and mock him and most humans despise him. Sometimes you draw the short stick in life.When it comes to supernatural bounty hunting, Zyker is your man for the job. Though he may not have the long track record of some of his colleagues - he makes up for it in skill. A fresh face that doesn't wind up dead within 24 hours is a rare sight to see in this profession.

I wouldn't worry about what's generic because just about everything has been done; it's about how you use your generic creativity that really counts. You're going for a 90's badass, so embrace it; you have a theme and you want to craft around it.

I'll drop several things you could probably expand upon:

I originally had made this OC for a specific plot, where he would be a bounty hunter for supernatural entities. I still want the character to have that design theme, but I want him to feel more unique? When originally designing him I wanted to pour on the "90s badass with a rough and rumble attitude" but i think he came out a bit oversaturated. Any tips on his overall design, clothing choice etc or his lineage that I could use that would make him stand out from the crowd? I would like keep the gunslinger theme to the character, but I feel 90s Dhampir badass is a bit...generic? are there any fantasy races that are humanoid or have a hybrid that might be more interesting?

What's interesting to someone else may not be interesting to you. If you want Zyker to remain human because that's how you feel he should be, then keep him that way. Only change his race if you want that, not if anyone else thinks it's cool. Just keep that in mind.

Appearance: Zyker is a medium height man appearing to be in his late twenties. A peanut butter complexion with short and curly platinum blonde hair combos with a circular set of maroon eyes to make a smoldering glare. He has an angular face and full lips coming together with a chiseled jawline and boxed off chin. Most times, rocking 5 o'clock shadow due to working at all hours of the night. Both ears are pierced, one with a hanging silver cross and the other with a triplet of silver rings from the helix of the ear down. He has a slim but well muscled build as his shapely chest combos into a chiseled set of abs. His abdomen flows into a classic V at his groin area set on top of a firmly built set of legs.

Zyker is more often then not dressing to his own style. Outfits can range from a bomber jacket, white t shirt with fitted jeans and a pair of leather Chelsea boots to a mesh long sleeve with black baggy cargo pants and white high top sneakers. He wears a ring on every other finger on his right hand starting at the thumb. It truly varies day to day.

What is medium height? I'd put a measurement to it, because one person's average in Canada may not be someone's average in South Africa. It avoids confusion by having a clear reference to height.

You could add bags under his eyes if he's not getting adequate sleep given the nature of his profession, but only if you want to do that.

The bomber jacket or the t-shirt he wears could have a symbol that's unique to him--like, if someone sees that, they know who he is in an instant, like a picture of an Oni, or a Dragon, or something like that. His clothing could be frayed and the colors worn out depending on how long he's worn a certain set of clothes; maybe they smell like certain compounds and chemicals because he's a bounty hunter who meticulously maintains his own gear, and prepares his own ammunition by hand. You could also add trophies if he's the kind of person to have them, depending on what supernatural creatures you'd consider him frequently going against.

If you'd rather his clothing remain untouched, or is replaced often because he purchases new gear frequently, maybe add some scarring on his body somewhere. It doesn't need to be in your face. It can be subtle, like a row of nails across his torso and back that's still healing. Bruises could work, too.

Usually starting off laid back, He can become loud and bullheaded when put under stress. However he takes pride in his ability to think on his feet, which often gets him out of a jam.
Zyker packs massive 22 inch twin pistols as his primary means of besting the supernatural. The gunpowder in each round is peppered with pure silver and iron soaked in holy water- just to make sure that the supernatural he unloads in aren't getting back up. Both guns having heavy modifications to support extremely large double wide magazines as well as a plethora of attachments. Zyker gets around the city in a 1997 Dodge Viper GTS in rocket red colorway. If Zyker isn't chasing demons, he's probably under the hood of this mechanical monster. Unfortunately the agency has yet to agree with his assessment of the vehicle as a "business expense" so most of its upgrades come out of his own pocket. The sports car remains a tried and true part of his arsenal.Zyke is a Dhampir but prefers to keep it on a need to know basis. But most supernatural creatures can smell his mixed blood scent from the moment he meets their gaze. The prey he hunts down underestimate and mock him and most humans despise him. Sometimes you draw the short stick in life.When it comes to supernatural bounty hunting, Zyker is your man for the job. Though he may not have the long track record of some of his colleagues - he makes up for it in skill. A fresh face that doesn't wind up dead within 24 hours is a rare sight to see in this profession.

You could expand on his personality by differentiating his persona when he's off the job, and when he's starting one. A man of his reputation might act differently when money is on the line compared to getting a drink with a close friend. What does he do for fun? Does he even know what fun is, or does he live for the next hunt? Is he always looking over his shoulder, expecting a blood sucker to leap out at him for a snack? What does he love about his job, and about his life? What does he hate about his job, and about his life (if anything)? Give us a closer look at who this person is inside the car, behind the pistols, and behind that rugged 90's exterior.

Does his car show any signs of his lifestyle? A lot of fast food bags in the passenger seat, if any? The interior of a car can tell a person much about the driver, and seeing as it's such an important part of this character's life, maybe you can expand on what it's like being inside it. Any particular smells? Any customization of the dashboard, the engine, the tires, etc. I assumed he upgraded it immensely. Tell us about that.

I didn't know what a Dhampir was until I googled it: The result of a Vampire and a Human mating. How does what he is shape him, when monsters disrespect him and humans wouldn't want anything to do with him should they know the truth about what he is? Does he view himself as an abomination? Does he love what he is? Does he speak to his parents at all? Are they even alive? Probably most importantly, what is his motivation for risking his life going after supernatural creatures? Hatred? Defending the vulnerable for the right price, like a Witcher would? Did he make a promise to someone close to him in his past?

You got options, bro, but just do what YOU want first and foremost. If it's interesting enough for you to write about, that should be enough. Do it for yourself.

I wouldn't worry about what's generic because just about everything has been done; it's about how you use your generic creativity that really counts. You're going for a 90's badass, so embrace it; you have a theme and you want to craft around it.

I'll drop several things you could probably expand upon:

What's interesting to someone else may not be interesting to you. If you want Zyker to remain human because that's how you feel he should be, then keep him that way. Only change his race if you want that, not if anyone else thinks it's cool. Just keep that in mind.

What is medium height? I'd put a measurement to it, because one person's average in Canada may not be someone's average in South Africa. It avoids confusion by having a clear reference to height.

You could add bags under his eyes if he's not getting adequate sleep given the nature of his profession, but only if you want to do that.

The bomber jacket or the t-shirt he wears could have a symbol that's unique to him--like, if someone sees that, they know who he is in an instant, like a picture of an Oni, or a Dragon, or something like that. His clothing could be frayed and the colors worn out depending on how long he's worn a certain set of clothes; maybe they smell like certain compounds and chemicals because he's a bounty hunter who meticulously maintains his own gear, and prepares his own ammunition by hand. You could also add trophies if he's the kind of person to have them, depending on what supernatural creatures you'd consider him frequently going against.

If you'd rather his clothing remain untouched, or is replaced often because he purchases new gear frequently, maybe add some scarring on his body somewhere. It doesn't need to be in your face. It can be subtle, like a row of nails across his torso and back that's still healing. Bruises could work, too.

You could expand on his personality by differentiating his persona when he's off the job, and when he's starting one. A man of his reputation might act differently when money is on the line compared to getting a drink with a close friend. What does he do for fun? Does he even know what fun is, or does he live for the next hunt? Is he always looking over his shoulder, expecting a blood sucker to leap out at him for a snack? What does he love about his job, and about his life? What does he hate about his job, and about his life (if anything)? Give us a closer look at who this person is inside the car, behind the pistols, and behind that rugged 90's exterior.

Does his car show any signs of his lifestyle? A lot of fast food bags in the passenger seat, if any? The interior of a car can tell a person much about the driver, and seeing as it's such an important part of this character's life, maybe you can expand on what it's like being inside it. Any particular smells? Any customization of the dashboard, the engine, the tires, etc. I assumed he upgraded it immensely. Tell us about that.

I didn't know what a Dhampir was until I googled it: The result of a Vampire and a Human mating. How does what he is shape him, when monsters disrespect him and humans wouldn't want anything to do with him should they know the truth about what he is? Does he view himself as an abomination? Does he love what he is? Does he speak to his parents at all? Are they even alive? Probably most importantly, what is his motivation for risking his life going after supernatural creatures? Hatred? Defending the vulnerable for the right price, like a Witcher would? Did he make a promise to someone close to him in his past?

You got options, bro, but just do what YOU want first and foremost. If it's interesting enough for you to write about, that should be enough. Do it for yourself.
thank you so much for your suggestions!

so are you looking for some one to draw this guy or what?

Back
Top Bottom