Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

I Awoke From a Dream of a Fox (SomethingSecret & EtherealElvenPrincess)

With a simple as you wish she was out like a light. It in the first time she slept so soundly and this beautiful fox goddess desperately needed it. His words felt like a lucid dream as they hit her ears when he said how he look after her and he would not betray her. Aria hoped that she did not dream those words. Chrisoff’s words were a pact. A promise.

Her hand still held his tightly as she slept and he could feel the warmth of her ears as his head lowered to rest against her. Aria’s dreams were for once quiet and peaceful perhaps it was due to Christoff being near. Her nightmares ceased giving her peace of mind. Sleeping through until the morning songbirds caused her tail to flick and twitch causing her soft ears to follow.

Eyes slowly opening to see that this human didn’t desert her. He stayed. Grey eyes blinked lightly as her hand squeezed his. “Y…Yu stayed?” Her voice held a little time of surprise, but also relief with him still by her side.

The night had blessedly passed with neither dream nor nightmare, an uncommon occurrence ever since that most fateful and terrible of days that had driven Christoff to where he was now. So he assumed, at least: there was a great chance that the gambler's dice had struck mad numbers in his mind, and the whole thing of men in strange armor and a woman with the ears and tail of a fox were nothing more than a vision. His hands began to disprove that notion: soft skin, soft fur both textures which served to anchor him beyond what his eyes could see, and what his mind could conjure. When she spoke, it was beyond the expectation of his wearied mind.

"My word is my bond," Christoff said. "And if my sword is untrue, I shall die upon it."

He shivered, suddenly. Their fire was little more than faint embers by now, and after all of it he was still shirtless, providing a strange sensation of a warm front, but an almost frozen back. He laughed a little, smiling warmly as he asked: "I don't suppose you could light a fire? It's positively freezing in here..."

Aria had not slept as well God knows how long. With this new found human by her side she felt safe. Christoff gave her peace of mind that she didn’t think she would ever find. Sleeping soundly until she woke and he was still there she had to have expected him to leave her in that cave alone. Feeling his fingers on her hair and beautiful auburn ears she let out a sigh of relief.

“Humans Have changed over the centuries and their word could sometimes mean their bond could be a lie. I’m happy your word is true. I wasn’t expecting it to be.” Aria confessed that she still live there not wanting to move in the fire still crackled weakly giving them limited warmth. She knew they would eventually have to get moving but for now it was quiet in the cave and also quiet outside.

The fire could definitely use more firewood in with her strength returning it meant she could give new life to the fire. “ that is a very easy thing for me to do if you can throw a few more pieces of wood on it I can make us a wonderful blazing fire.” It was that Aria sat up It’s giving the Cave a lookout for saying that they did have some firewood hanging about. Slowly she sat up and Soon stud to pick up tweaks nearby to toss all the dying fire before kneeling before it to make a few very strange hand gestures Before the fire begin roaring again. “Let’s stay here for a little longer. It’s very cold outside. We shall figure out what to eat once our bodies heat up.” Aria did not really have a game plan but for now it was easier to start with one thing at a time.

Christoff was nothing if not inquisitive as the kitsune left his grasp, finding himself pondering the type of situation she was in, and the situation he had therefore pledged himself to.

"Have humans really changed so much in a few centuries?" He asked. "In my homeland, men have always fought and killed each other over what they thought was right. Sometimes it wasn't even about who was right, only who was stronger and could take from others. As a knight it was... is my duty to protect the people of the land, and serve the king. Yet I know if my king saw an opportunity, I too would march to war and my blade would yet add to the suffering in this world. Such is simply the way of things..."

He stood, beginning to help Aria gather the wood. She was thin it seemed, almost a wisp of a woman, but he wondered how much that had to do with how often she ate and if she would have a fuller figure with a more consistent diet. He felt strangely large compared to her, a bear of a man, and wondered if that would make it more difficult for her to trust him. Even so, he watched with eyes wide open as Aria lit the fire with nothing but her hands, as heat returned to the cave again.

"Your magic is impressive," he said. "It would do any man good to fear you for it, for there are few terrors in this world greater than a hateful flame. Aria..." he asked, scratching his head. "If your people were so powerful, then why have they been hunted? Why have you not fought back, or if you have, then how have you lost? Such power... surely man alone could not undo it..."

“Very much so. Every few centuries things change but this time around it’s been worse.” Aria Focus your power to keep the fire going until the kindling could do it without her help. Listening to Christoff’s explanation he could see how her ears turn inwards to hear every word he had to say not missing anything at all. She not an agreement but stay silent for a good portion of it. They really all weren’t that different. The men in her land and the men and his.

It was very kind of him to get up and help her with the fire when she wasn’t expecting him to. “Thank you. That helps me a lot. It’s still so very cold very odd for this time of year. The land is restless. The gods, goddesses and spirits are as well. Can you feel it?” She had to ask wondering if he could tell there was a shift with the realms. Aria did not say much about how similar his people and her people or at least not yet. That couldn’t be a coincidence could it?

Aria was thin and frail looking. It wouldn’t hurt her to eat more but with how the tides have turned it showed on her body how little she ate and possibly the worry she carried on her shoulders. The strange human was much bigger than her they could easily overpower her and lucky for her he didn’t no such thing. If he had met her at a different stage in her life she would’ve been more full figured and more voluptuous. A sign of the times. When the gods and goddesses were weak their bodies showed it. Perhaps with her knight she’d regain more of her much-needed strength.

The brave man’s questions were valid. Once the fire was stoked and burning with full force she lowered her hands letting the flame leave them and placing them on her lap. “My kind has been around for centuries. Worshiped. Feared. Revered. It’s all a cycle and now we are feared yet again. Sometimes humans can become weak and fearful of the unknown and I am very much the unknown. Many of my kind is. When humans fear us they hunt us starve us of our power and resources. They can’t really kill us but they can make us weak enough to subdue us and bind us. “ aria begin to explain softly to him as if the cave had ears. “Man cannot undo our power easily but some men can carry magic and use it against us. The ones we have blessed have turned against us. And yet I don’t want to give up on mankind even if they hate me. For there are no gods without worshipers. My kind isn’t hiding I haven’t seen my own in centuries. I don’t even know if I’m the last one standing but maybe you can help me if you’re willing.” Now it was her turn to ask a favor of Christoff. maybe just maybe he can help her reclaim her rightful place with him by her side. Human and deity. Reunited. It was worth a shot especially since she was now on her own.

The more Christoff listened, the more his heart broke for the fox-eared woman. He knew firsthand the dangers of superstition among humans from the many 'witch' burnings that took place in his homeland, and talk about how humans befriended and betrayed the kitsunes particularly dismayed him, as it made perfect sense why such powerful beings could only be brought low by deception and betrayal. She much reminded him of, well, a fox, which his own people often hunted only for the sport of collecting their fur, under pretenses of defending their livestock, especially chickens. Foxes were trapped in horrible metal machinations, often left for days in a horrid device before the trapper would come to collect. Even so, foxes were foxes; Aria was a living, thinking being not so different from a human woman. Yet these unimaginable cruelties had been inflicted upon her nonetheless.

"I of course would be willing to lend you my aid," he said. "I only wonder if so many people are so far gone. I have met you and I can tell you have a good heart, for despite what humans have done to you, you have trusted me this far. Is there no way to convince the people of this land to worship the fox goddesses again? Surely nothing has been done at this point that we could not convince at least some that you are worthy of existence, not extermination..."

He warmed his hands by the fire, looking up at Aria somewhat expectantly.

"What is it you wish, then? Or rather, what shall we do, Lady Aria?"

The pain was evident in the cadence of her voice that what was happening to her kind was inconceivable. The foxes did nothing but help the humans and learn to live in harmony with them over the many centuries but humans could be cruel, unforgiving, selfish, and on occasion heartless. Sitting by the fire she hold her hand out to warm them as her ears a top her head folded back leaning against her head. A sigh escaped her pink lips. Remembering the past was quite painful for her and she knew some that did not even make it to the present. Aria Was very lucky and fortunate she was cunning and able to survive.

Only when he said that he would lend her a hand did she look up to make eye contact with her gray eyes. “I really hope you keep your word I don’t think I could survive more disappointment. I like humans believe it or not. Sadly I’ve learned to fear them. I was not made to cause harm or hurt but they’ve driven me to it I am no murderer. Us kitsune are not evil creatures I don’t know what you’ve heard in your land but we’ve been driven to it. Any cornered creature would lash out even a human it’s not just unique to us.” The crackling of the hot white flames lit up her face as she spoke. “Having a good heart sadly no longer it’s worth in gold. I can’t even trust my own worshipers. I don’t think any are left…” following silent leaving the air with no words until Christoff spoke again. “ Perhaps there is a way but I would need another one like me or at least someone to believe I mean I have you but you’re not from here and I don’t know what gods and goddesses you pay tribute too. It’s a start.” Rubbing her hands together and thought before she continued. “ My power is weak and I know where I should go but it’s dangerous and the last thing I need to do is put you in danger. There’s another cave at the mountain I can feel power there I can’t be sure if the amulet is still there. It’s a power source that could help me regain most of my strength my kind of things but I don’t know if it’s it’s now or still a hidden location would you risk going with me?” she finally ask since she would never force him into it but she wanted to know if he would go and keep his word to stay by her side.

Christoff nodded softly at each new tragic revelation the kitsune spoke, slipping his beige tunic back on while she continued telling her story. If she only knew, he thought, of his failures and the full weight of his guilty conscience, she would not be so eager to trust him. In truth, giving her his oath felt like a sweet lie, one he was telling more for his own sake than for hers. But she didn't need to know that. He could tell from the small smiles and growing confidence that his every moment here was causing hope to gain purchase in her wearied heart, and for that he would continue his little lie for as long as it suited her.

"Yours is truly a tale most grim and heartbreaking. I'm... nearly moved to tears hearing it. But for the request you have made, of course I will follow you. If not for your protection, then because I think you are the one from my dreams, and therefore you must be my destiny here. I can think of no other reason why I was sent here to this strange land through a dream itself..."

Suddenly, he took her hand in his, swiftly but gently, minding the bandages from the day before. His own hands felt suddenly rough and coarse from the callouses earned from years of combat in his lifetime, but his eyes reflected a gentle light.

"I will follow you to the mountain. I will follow you beyond. I will not leave your side until your task is done, or you wish me away. I swear it on my very life. If I can but ease a moment of your pain... then I would risk any danger. I would do so gladly. The fire is lit; let us find something to eat, and together we shall reclaim your power..."

It didn’t cross her mind that Christoff was hiding anything from her. She herself was weary. Worn down from being hunted but those that once worshiped her. Gave her sacrifices and now they wanted nothing more than her head on a spike and fur as a trophy. Hearing the knights words Aria spoke out. “I need not tears of pity. I have no tears of my own left to give let alone mourn what I’ve lost. I won’t even make you follow me if you desired to leave. I only ask for help into the mountain….” Ears focus on his words and before she could try to lessen his pact to her this human spoke of his dreams.

“Destiny has been long dead for me strange knight from another realm. Fate perhaps has more awaiting me but destiny? Hmph.” Her last word he could see her fur ruffle as she lost herself in thought. Christoff caught her off guard as he quickly but gently took her bandaged hands holding in his own. Grey eyes looking into his trying to glean an answer or his reasoning for such a kind gesture.

“Sweat not your life for me. I have suffered my share of pain and heartache I doubt any human can imagine…” aria didn’t bother to elaborate her deep pain but it would leave him to wonder and think of what it possibly meant. “Help me up the mountain. Help me retrieve the source of my power and I shall release you from my service. I’ll even help you find a way home to your lands. Would you consider that fair and just?” Aria asked keeping her neutral grey eyes on him.

“I think I’m well enough to hunt for the both of us. You shouldn’t rush yourself. We shan’t waste the fire. You are not opposed to rabbit or deer are you? I’m not sure what you eat. I’ve never seen a human who looked anything like you do.” Admitting that she was lost about what type of human he was but offered to look after him since this was her land not his.

Aria's insistence that her life no longer carried any weight, meaning, and that she had no destiny, caused Christoff to stir slightly where he stood, but he made no note of it in what he spoke next, nor did he press her about it. After all, how could she know that he was carrying a similar pain? He reflected that he must have sounded similarly dour in his own defeatism, though Aria had yet to taste the full extent of his grief. The fact that their mission was dangerous only drew Christoff to it like a moth to flame, for was suicide in battle not the most honorable death a knight could strive for?

"Very well; if you wish to hunt, I won't stop you. I don't think there's anything particularly strange about me, and deer or rabbit sounds excellent, if you can find enough of it for the both of us. As for what is fair and just... I agree to your deal. I'll help you to the mountain, and you'll help me go home again."

He didn't think he would go home, though. He didn't want to go home. Here, in this strange new land, he could begin again; no longer was he Christoff the failure, but Christoff, the gallant knight who had saved the life of a fox goddess. And in his new quest, he could forget the old pains he carried in his heart, even as she began to remind him of the most abject part of that which had led him into this state of grief in the first place. Even so, he sat down, and waited for Aria to return with the hunt so that their journey could truly begin.

Aria did so much more than insist. A part of her was lost and she had no idea if she could retrieve that part of her heart. Being hunted for so long left her wounded for her to heal. She did not know much about this mysterious human. All she knew was that he was willing to aid her in finding her amulet. That was all she needed for now.

When he insisted that he would not stop her for the hunt she would stand up and brush yourself off. “I trust myself to come back home no fence I don’t know how well you had and I know I can bring us back something faster than you could.” The fox goddess did not mean it to be an insult. It was just a matter of fact her. “It seems like we have a deal now wait here in stock at the Flyers I’ll find us dinner I won’t be long.” With that she left him alone in the cave she was out in the cold and he’s gone for quite some time. He was left in the silence to think.

Lo and behold the fox got his did not disappoint if he sat silently enough he could hear her dragging a large carcass of a deer with her. This time she was covered in Snow with a little bit of blood on her. It was only from a slight struggle with the deer but other than that it was a pretty clean kill. Carefully she brought it into the cave over her shoulders to not leave too many footsteps in the snow. Tossing the deer not far from the fire she looked for a rock and began sharpening it to use it as a tool. “ do you have a knife? Anything sharp or do you go to skin it.” She asked as she looked dirty and exhausted. Even with the snowfall she was sweating. Not only did she come back with one pretty large horned buck, but she had six rabbits as well. “ we can’t survive on rabbits alone and I cannot find too much hesitation so I hope meat tonight will be all right.” She told him she motioned him to come help her so they can actually have a decent dinner even if it was simple it was better than going hungry.

Christoff nodded in response to the kitsune's assertions about hunting. "Aye, I don't pretend a knight might outfox the fox, nor the hunter you most assuredly are. I shall wait here patiently, hoping for your return."

While she was gone, he pondered to himself for many moments about the situation he was in: the dream must have been an image of the gateway between his lands and hers, he thought. But there were many other questions left unanswered: where was here? Was he even in the same time anymore? Would he ever find his way home again? These questions nagged at him as he stoked the fire, ignoring the hunger in his stomach while he tried to decipher what it all must have meant, and if there was any hope of getting out of this strange place. If there was any hope, he thought, it must have been with the fox-woman, who blessedly returned before he could think too much longer on such things.

"My, you look more the fox than ever at present," he said, laughing softly at her frosting of snow and the red that ran down her mouth. He unsheathed a knife upon his belt at her request, standing to go and aid her with the skinning of the deer, a time-consuming and exhausting process they had no choice but to pursue.

"Rest, if you need it," he said. "I am strong of heart for the time being and stout of body, and it is no trouble to prepare this carcass for us. Please, I insist!"

Then, he continued his knife-work, diligently removing the skin from the muscle until at last the deer, which now hung from the cave's mouth, was naught but the tender meat they both desperately craved by now. He took a cloth from his gear, setting it down and beginning to carve portions for eating.

"Alas, that we could only save more for the road, and had time to salt the meat! This will have to do, though," he said, carrying over the large collection of meat and placing the bits and filets on the rocks surrounding the fire, listening as they gave a satisfying sizzle upon touching the stones.

"I'll return shortly. Just need to clean my hands," he said. Shortly, he walked out of the cave to the small stream just beyond the cave's mouth, examining his surroundings as he leaned down, rinsing the blood and grime from his hands in the stream, diligently picking and removing anything that could be considered offensive.

As he did so, however, he couldn't help but shake the feeling he was being watched...

“Good. The last thing I need to do is heal you again when I’m not at full strength.” Aria said sternly but she was not insulting his skills but she knew her hunting would get the food that she didn’t want to look over her shoulder worried about this new strange human with her.

Her clothing did have its share of blood on it but she was careful not to get too much on herself. She did stop off by the water to clean off a bit to not drip blood on the way so it could be help that some was left behind. Even though her hair was a mess and she looked a shovel there was still a majestic look about her. A huntress. Queen of the forest. The kills tired her out but she wanted above help me clean but when the human insisted she motioned for him to take over. “It’s good that a little blood does not scare you then. I only took what we needed maybe we can save some for the road but sadly I don’t think we have time to cure any of this meat so eat as much as your belly can stand.” What she did next was took a step outside the cave to wipe her hands on a nearby pile of snow warming it with your body heat to wash your hands to keep her from walking towards the creek.

Christoff was rather useful and she was not expecting that. Aria watched him carefully as he skinned and cut the meat with such precision she was impressed with what he could handle. She knew men who could easily do this but considering that Christoff was a mystery to her she couldn’t help but watch. “ A very grateful for you and all that you’re doing right now. You are very good with your knives. I’m sorry it’s only meet tonight with a snow like this it’s hard to scavenge for vegetables.” Aria wasn’t sure why she was apologizing but she felt like since he was helping her so much and she was feeling to provide him a decent meal.

The street human excused himself to wash his head to the stream as she minded the meat. Nostrils flaring as she enjoyed the scent but she could wait. Aria could remain civilized even though she was very hungry. Besides it would not be nice to start eating without him. Warming herself by the crackling fire she look outside the cave just to see how far he was that hoping he’d come back soon since the smell the food was making her tail sway back-and-forth happily as she anticipated the meal they were about to take part in. Her ears were pointed towards the entryway just in case he called out or need anything but for now I’ll show her to silence it any sound she heard or thought she heard the redheaded fox assumed it was her human protector.

As he finished rinsing his hands off in the stream, he took a look around while he was crouched, scanning for any kind of movement or activity. After a moment, seeing nothing, he began to head back to the cave, turning back to look one last time, shivering as he felt the cold on his wet hands. After that, he hustled back to the warmth of the fire, and the warm company of his uneasy companion.

"By God, it's cold," Christoff said, eagerly putting his hands near the flames to warm them back up again. "I hate to suggest it, but perhaps we could visit a town and gather supplies? No, that wouldn't work, would it... Well, we'll come up with something, I'm sure. First, let's eat!"

Christoff looked to the bits of meat on the stones by the fire, which by now were sizzling and releasing a delicious, savory aroma. "Just needs a bit of salt, though I doubt you have any," he said, chuckling softly. "How do you typically eat, Aria? If you're like a fox... do you even cook your meals, normally? If you've never had a bit of roast venison, I think you're in for a bit of a treat!"

Fluffy red ears were perked up and tuned in to where her human was but when he returned he would see how the relief on your face was easily seen through the flickering a fire light. Hearing his complaints made the mysterious fox woman giggle. It had been a while since she could do that and here she was laughing about how he was complaining about the cold. “ The cold does get worse today isn’t so bad you’re lucky you aren’t here right in the middle of winter I swear the air itself freezes.” She reached her hands out to let them rest before the fire keeping them warm and toasty.

Hearing Christoff’s question about salt A much deeper laugh escaped as she shook her head no letting her ears and hair sway back-and-forth. “ sadly no salt I’m sorry I didn’t pack any part of me wishes I did.” She would reach out and take the closest piece of meat as you’ve got to blow on it to cool it before she would actually take a bite, but before she could he asked a very interesting question. “ well in this form I do like my meat cooked but I can eat it either way it does not bother my body. In my true form I just eat them raw especially if I’m hunting but today I’m eating with you.” She said but then he mentioned roast venison and she corked an eyebrow when he mentioned how she was missing out. “ you know I haven’t had roast venison I just took the deer and ate it when I got it but I’m looking forward to it it’s a new adventure and unexpected at that. I take it humans don’t eat raw anything.” Aria was not looking down on him she was just curious about how he ate his food and if he could eat meat raw or that be harmful to him.

"I suppose it wouldn't make sense for you to pack salt if you could just eat the meat as it came in the deer," Christoff said. "Just like you wouldn't need to carry tinder and flint if you can start a fire with your hands. What I find more curious... is that you are alone, after all this time. And I get the impression that that isn't just because your people have been hunted... no, I suspect kitsunes like to stay alone, much like foxes, which would make a great deal of sense. If I'm off the mark, please tell me though."

He gathered a few other stones to use as makeshift plates, gingerly removing the venison from the heat and handing Aria one of the pieces of roast venison on the rock. He did the same for a piece himself, his mouth watering as he took in the rich scent of the deer filet. Without waiting, he blew on it several times before finally digging in to the steak, tearing off a bit and chewing ravenously.

"Ahh, that really hits the spot, especially on a cold day like today," he said. "Had we a pot, I'd make a good stew out of it, too. Something else we'll need to get in a town, I suppose. But yes, we tend not to eat anything raw. It's a quick way to get sick. Everything at least needs a good boil in a pot, but it's a lot tastier when you can roast it. What do you think, Aria?"

What he said made sense since she could eat the deer meat without even cook it or thinking about it and it didn’t really bother her stomach and either form but around polite Company she would eat something cooked. Christoff Had a good point since she didn’t need to carry around anything to start a fire or salt since she wasn’t planning on salting any meat anytime soon. The conversation was going perfectly well until he mentioned her being alone and he could see the shift in her body language as well as the sad look at her eyes but she said nothing for a long moment. Letting out a very sad and lonely sigh. “ I used to not be alone they were more of us along time ago so many I don’t know if humans have the same issues as we do but my kind has dwindled down to barely anything. I know not have any of my kind are still around we used to be so abundant along other as you would call it mystical creatures….” Aria spoke with a great sadness at her eyes looked past Christoff as if she were looking through him as she spoke out to the cold snow of the outside of the cave.

“ you are not off the mark you’re quite close to it…. it’s hard to explain but between hunters and other people not believing in us anymore times have changed. Old cards have been replaced with new ones. People seek our power and lock us away I have been running away from it for quite some time and they finally caught up to me when you found me.” The redheaded fox confessed. Her ears dripping low pressure against the top of her head. What she was eating she slowly stopped and he could tell that talking about her history past and her kind did indeed stunt her appetite. The meat in her hand still warm but slowly growing cold. “ it’s good and taste nice warmer I’m just not really hungry anymore….” She wasn’t sure what to do with the meat as you put it back on the fire to warm up again and she knew she had to eat something but the way she stared off in the distance gave away he had a sore spot asking about her kind and here she was all alone at least not with him but she was the only fox in the cave so it made her realize that maybe she might just be all alone until she can see if any of her own kind survived the mask her that she did not want to tell the human about.

Though Aria was sharing the rather sad tale of her people, Christoff was too hungry to simply stop eating, at least initially, wolfing down the rest of the first bit of venison and sheepishly licking his fingers as she relayed once again the sentiment that her people were relics of a bygone age and that she was more or less a sole survivor of the ordeal. In truth, it was a grave situation and it weighed heavily on his heart to see someone such as herself suffering as such, yet it still seemed strange to him that they would be persecuted for having different ears and a tail, but still looking human. That was to say, he'd seen good men defend women with far less virtue and who were far less appealing to the eye, and Christoff began to suspect that there was more at work to this story, but he could only guess as to what might be hiding beneath the surface with the tale of why the kitsunes were disappearing.

Even so, he watched with dismay as Aria put down her venison, nodding. He did not speak at first, instead looking to her again with a slight smile, and then quickly scooted over to where Aria was sitting. He pulled her close from the side, allowing her to get comfortable against his chest as his arms easily supported the rest of her small weight.

"There, there," he said. "You must be carrying a great burden indeed if you won't even eat a bounty such as this. I think food is one of the great universal joys of life; even in the bitter cold, even in the depths of sorrow, there is a happiness that can be found by savoring something full of flavor, like this venison. Time has not been kind to your people, it seems, but time can also mend a broken heart. The trick is to allow it to do so. Take a load off for a while, Aria, and while I'd prefer for you to eat so that you can gather your strength..."

He looked down at her, really noticing for the first time the enchanting beauty she was possessed of: eyes which glittered in the firelight, the long, silky hair and the slim curves of her body, all of which caused him to suddenly turn a little red in his cheeks, then turn his gaze back to the fire instead. After all, she thought very little of humans and it wouldn't do if she knew he thought she was so beautiful.

"I understand eating is not an easy thing. Nothing is anymore, for you, it seems. Let me carry some of that weight..."

It didn’t bother Aria one bit that Christoff continued to eat. It was not his fault that she lost her appetite just the thought of thinking about how her kind was wiped out and she hadn’t seen anyone like her in years. The dynamic in her land was very different but she had no idea what this mysterious humans plan was like. “ in your world do you have beings like me? Not exactly like me of course but other creatures.” She finally got the courage to ask as she still didn’t bother to pick up any food.

His voice rang out in the cave as she sat silently staring at the flames. It would do her some good to actually eat but she just wasn’t hungry well she was hungry but there’s so much laying down on her mind eating was the furthest thing from it even though she hunted such a good meal. When Christoff moved closer place in I’m around her and put her to his chest she’s a different form moment since she was not expecting him to even do such a thing. The petite fox woman did not pull away that she sat there stiff for a second before leaning into him. He could feel how silky her hair was. How the fire warmed her soft skin. Drawing in a deep breath before releasing it. The curves she had were soft and she looked even more delicate next to his larger more muscular body. The flames danced in her neutral gray eyes and for now her human protector was lucky she did not notice his blush. For the moment she was lost in thought but he would see her reach out to take another small piece of venison and nibble on it since he did mention that she needed to keep her strength up. Aria took that to heart and tried to eat at least something even small. “ you need not carry extra weight besides is that something you’d worry about normally is it? I’m sure you aren’t happy with the situation as well. In your world, your land…. have you met anyone like me? Perhaps you were the key for me to find others. Maybe it’s just silly thought I should not have asked….forgive me…” if he chose to look over again he could see her trying to be strong. Hiding or attempting to hide her worries and fears though he could see her fifing back a couple of tears hoping he wouldn’t notice.

"Mm..." Christoff said, thinking of her question. "Nothing quite like a kitsune, no. Fire-breathing lizards, yes. But no fox-women, that I'm aware of."

His attempt to lighten the situation was met by Aria's wounded heart, though it gladdened him to see she was at least attempting to eat again, which he watched with a gentle curiosity. When she spoke again, though, it was clear she yet had pain she could not overcome.

"Well... I am a knight, Aria. My life is spent in service to others. That is, the sword I carry is meant to protect others. For my king, and for the people. Now that I have neither, I must instead protect you. I would feel... without purpose, if I did not. Especially if you were to be hurt when I could have stopped it..."

At this, he unintentionally clutched her in his arms, remembering the pains of that which he had lost before.

"Anyway... No, I have not met another fox-woman before. Or anyone but other humans. I wish I could give you a pleasant lie that would ease your heart, but alas, I am all that I am and nothing more: just another human. But one who has heard your plight, and wishes to help, if you'll let me. That is all. Now..."

He looked back to the fire, including the other pieces of venison which were cooking.

"We'll need supplies if we're going to travel to your shrine. Winter is unkind to unprepared travelers. We should make for the nearest town... I'm sure we can manage a disguise for each of us, find some way to get what we need... then we can fulfill our task. What do you say?"

The fact that she was eating was a good sign even if it was just a nipple here or there she needed her strength. If she didn’t eat it would be really horrible for the both of them especially if someone decided to attack them. Listening to him explain that they had no one like her in his world. His world seemed so different and strange but Aria figured out maybe her world might be the same to him.

Her soft fluffy red ears are focused on his words as he explained that he was a knight. But his words made sense as he talked about his king and his service it was nothing like she would do but many humans were loyal to the king. Just as the foxes were loyal to their own and their followers when they had some. What caught her attention was he said since he was alone without his king or his people that now he would protect her and the look in her eyes was a mix of surprise but also grateful. She reached a hand over to him and placed it on his leg giving it a pat has a way to silently thank him. She had no idea how long it’s been since she heard such kind words and an offer of protection.

Aria was prepared to say something but then Christoff pulled her even closer. If he looked over at her he could see a blush forming on her pale cheeks because of the way he held her. Tears would start streaming down her grey eyes.

A part of her did not wish for him to see her like this a broken shell of what her former self was. Fallen from grace. His words were so kind and she almost lost her self in her heavy emotions but she snapped out of it when he mentioned supplies and pulling into town. “You are right. We do need supplies I’ll try to eat more I promise I can’t have you only protecting me. I will look after you too. I give you my word I will not let anything happen to you. If it’s within my power I shall keep you safe.” Aria Promised him and gave him a very special word. In that moment she pledged herself to him.

“ I can easily disguise us both I will make sure I get my strength up it’s similar and maybe I can use my glamour on both of us. We can blend in easy with my magic. You aren’t afraid of magic are you? Don’t worry it won’t hurt Fox magic is quite playful and powerful but a disguise is the most easy thing I can do.” Her mood was picking up and she was actually eating more of the roasted venison. Christoff could see that her mood was picking up thanks to him but once they were finished their feast that’s when the hard work would begin. They needed to get to town and she knew exactly where to go. “ down this mountain is a small village they have an inn, and food and places to drink we should head there before we return to the mountains gather supplies and find that shrine. I think once we do that we should be able to make our journey easier do you trust me?” She asked softly as she laid her head on his shoulder.

Christoff couldn't help but smile as Aria declared her oath. "I will hold you to your word," he said. "You would make a fine knight, I think!"

At her suggestion, however, he was left thinking of their encounter yesterday and how exhausted she had been from using the flames.

"I do not know how your magic works," he said. "But it may be better to conserve your strength for when it is needed. And you are still healing as well..."

He looked down at her, noting that she was laying her head upon his shoulder. There was a soft comfort to it, knowing that in so short a time he had managed to win the kitsune's trust, at least enough that she did not fear him as much as she had when they had first met. All that remained was for him to stay true to his word and guide her back to the shrine of her people, whatever winding way they would need to take to get there.

"I know you must want to use your magic. But let me tell you a tale. When I was learning to use a sword, I would always swing with the full strength of my arm. After minutes, I would be tired from the effort, and did nothing to my opponent. It was then my teacher taught me that if I used less effort... that if I let the sword cut, and only guided the blade to the impact... that I could swing my sword for hours, instead of minutes. And he was right. My arm grew stronger, but it was the technique that made me skilled. And so it is: the art of swordsmanship is not using one's strength... no, not at all. The art of swordsmanship, is restraint. We should not disguise ourselves unless necessary. Or fight unless we must. We should find another way to disguise ourselves. Such as..."

He reached behind his neck, pulling up the hood of his cloak, which mostly obscured his face except for the narrow angle from the front.

"A hood," he said. "I don't have a spare, but... I could at least hide my face, and that way you must only disguise one of us, instead of both. Surely that would be easier, right?"

“A knight? Me? You think so?” Aria’s fluffy red ears perked up at the thought. Still nibbling the warn venison in her hand And she felt a rush of energy flow through her. The food was finally helping her and she was actually now eating more. Once finish she would go for the rabbit and actually eat more than Christoff had ever seen her eat.

“My Strength will return don’t worry I shall keep my word. Kitsune never Break promises though sadly humans do. I hope you do not break yours.” It was just a statement but for her in her land humans and rarely kept their word. Maybe his word was different and she can only hope.

Right now his mysterious fox goddess was silent with her head on his shoulder as he began to spit a tale for her to listen to. Her ears focused on his voice as she closed her eyes for a few minutes. Christoff spoke of swords and strength but this human was right she said to conserve what she had. Turning her head to look up as he used to head to obscure his face that would work. If she focused on only her she would have enough to protect him as well.

“You have the gift of words. If you were not known to me as a knight I would assume that you were a bard. Do you like an instrument maybe you are a storyteller. Someday I wish to hear more about your land. In exchange I’ll tell you my world. For now I shall conceal only myself and if anything goes wrong I’ll protect you. I think that’s a fair deal. Would you like any rabbit?” Aria offered some of her own as a way to keep the peace. It was nice to finally have a company and company that was not going to leave her stranded or alone.

“ with your sword skills I shall leave you in charge of the fighting of the physical sort But I will not let anyone use magic against you would you allow me to ward you fir protection. I would not forgive myself if harm came to you with you by my side. I swear to protect you and I mean that all I have is you now and I’m not going to lose you.” A kitsune’s Word was something they took seriously. And now she saw Christoff as one of her pack and she’d protect him as such.

It warmed Christoff's heart to see that Aria had decided to eat again; he thought back to another of his master's teachings, about how a sword was for war, but good words were for the home. It seemed that lesson had proved worthwhile indeed, for at least one soul in the world. He was also touched by the sincerity of her words and the way she seemed to genuinely want to protect him as well. It was an uncommon sentiment among the women of his land, to say the least, for a man was to protect a woman, not the other way around, and while Aria was technically a kitsune, it was nonetheless a strange situation he found himself in. Even so, despite the peculiarity, he found himself smiling as warmly as the fire at her as she devoured a great deal of the meat in front of them, as well as giving her promise.

"A bard? Now there's a thought," he said, teasingly, as he slowly removed himself from the cave floor while Aria ate, standing and brushing himself off. "I could play my instrument, and my enemies would come and listen, instead of trying to strike me down. A better idea that must be than crossing swords with anyone. I think we shall have plenty of time for stories along the road, though. If we are to make it to a town, we should leave as quickly as possible so that we are not stranded in the cold without shelter. It would seem the cold kills here just as much as it does back in the Empire, so we should make haste..."

He looked at her more sternly as she mentioned fighting, and her solemn oath to protect him. A knight's oath was a knight's oath regardless of who made it, even when it came from the mouth of a fox-woman. "Very well," he said, nodding. "I shall hold you to your oath, as the first knight-sister I have ever known. I think you will bring your people much honor indeed... Now, let's get going, while we still have daylight..."

Aria kept her head on his shoulder as she continued to now dig into her succulent roast rabbit. “Yes a bard. A very interesting bard at that too. Kitsune don’t really have bards. Storytellers yes. Dancers and musicians but humans have traveling bards. I’ve always liked them.” Chewing her food and swallowing as if really looked like gaining not only strength but some comfort by having Christoff by her side.

Most kitsune traveled alone but most mates and stayed with their chosen partner though Aria was all alone. Christoff was filling a void she had long lost but couldn’t even tell Christoff how he comforted her so.

Hearing him agree to hold her to that path she nodded and of course he was correct. “My word is my binding. Let’s finish eating and take some on the road as much as because we have so much time for stories at least until the town. Give me a few more moments let me in a bit more and I’ll put on my disguise I can keep it up for hours. Thank you my fair and just knight. We are bound by fate and the gods. It was meant for us to meet or at least I think so. I’m not sure what your people would say about us joining forces but without you I’d be nothing. Maybe you can teach me how to wield a sword. It could be fun and maybe I can teach you a few magic tricks.” Aria let herself open up to him for just a little bit and it felt amazing but for now it was a calm before the storm.

Their Journey was just about to begin….

Back
Top Bottom