Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Realm of Darkness (me and Nurse_K)

She furrowed her brows, "Of course not! I don't understand why deaths are made public specticles. I would never want to watch someone die. Father tried to make me go once, but I ran away once we got there. He was angry, but he got over it and hasn't made me gone since." she huffed a little, she was irritated now.

"Do you think those were bad people that were burned or staked, or hung, or murdered in the crowds?" He didn't even wait for her response, heated at the moment. "No, they weren't. they were innocent bystanders used as a example to keep the church in power. Some of them were lords that went against them. The real heretics and prisoners are kept in crypts and dungeons for their own sick play. Worse than being crucified or burned."

"Okay, okay. I see your point," she said, her arms wrapped tightly around her. He was right, and she knew it. She didn't like being wrong though, and didn't take very nicely to it. She sighed, her eyes slowly moving over his form again. He was probably the only one that she would admit being wrong to...she never admitted it.

He nodded, turning a page. "The church despises Vampires because we are renegades, not under any lord but our own power. So they label us demons to be destroyed. A easy way for them to destroy a race and rid themselves of a few thousand humans in one fell swoop. Say they were changed or that they conspired with the demons." He closed the tome and put it back on the floor, so he could pick it back up the next night.

She sighed. She had never stopped to think about all of the evils the Church had done. She always pushed that out of her mind, she much preferred to think of the wonderful side of Church: of salvation, Jesus, and loving eachother. She was a very caring girl, and though she was stubborn and strong-willed, she loved taking care of people. "It was wrong of the Church to do that to your people...but you know all of us aren't like that," she said, referring to herself.

"Not all. And I know not you. But most of this town and castle before my coming almost a fortnight ago did. It is my wisdom that opened their eyes to the truth. Christianity is about Jesus and the coming of god. The Church is about power and spreading the word... No matter how they have to do it. Millions were slaughtered down in Africa and Asia by those that crusaded in the name of the Church."

She lifted her hands up in exasperation, "Okay okay. Can we change the subject please?" she was getting frustrated by talking about this. She knew he was right, but she still didn't want her vision of the Church to be ruined, she didn't want to lose her faith. She was getting so annoyed that she was tempted to get up and go to bed anyway.

He nodded, turning his head to look at her, his eyes locking onto hers. "Ok then. I am sure you have many questions about me and the vampires. Feel free to ask, Cara Mia."

Her annoyance and irritation melted away as he locked his eyes into hers. Why did he have to do that? She wasn't one to give up her anger so easily. "Well...what is true? About vampires. The eating, the sunlight...all of that." she asked, frozen in her seat while she gazed back into his eyes.

"Ah, yes, I should have figured I would hear those questions again." He said softly. There was no annoyance in his voice. "Now, vampires can eat, though they cannot eat meat. But the only way they can sustain themselves is by feeding off the blood of a human. Vampire blood is changed so that it cannot be created inside the body. So when we run out of blood, we cannot make it ourselves, we must have it from other people. Though, as long as it stays inside our bodies, we do not need to feed. There are times when injuries make us need more blood, however.

"And on the account of sunlight..." He continued. "It burns us, but we do not turn to dust or die from it. It is simply a stinging pain. But we are lethargic, our powers are useless in the light, and we are extremely tired, to the point where are bodies are leaded."

"Oh....I see," she said, thinking. If he had to have blood to be sustained, that had to mean that he killed people on a regular basis. She swallowed nervously, she had shown interest in him, true interest, did that mean he was going to kill her? She shuddered at the thought of it. She wondered whether or not she should dare to question him about this, would it make him angry?

She shifted in her seat again and managed to tear her eyes away from him, looking down at the floor now. Her hands were twisted together again with nervousness, "So...does that mean...that you..kill people? Often?" her voice trembled a little as she asked the horrifying question.

He smiled at her question, eyes sparkling slightly. "No, we do not kill usually when we feed. We take just enough to satisfy our thirst, and we seal it before they lose too much. If we are changing someone, we take a little more blood from them and let our toxin take affect. Well, that is what they call it, a toxin. It is not poisonous, so it isn't one, but i have no better name for it."

"Oh..." she said again, feeling increasingly dumb as he answered her silly questions. She wondered what it would be like to be bitten and have her blood sucked out...by him. It gave her a little chill, but strangely it also made her a little bit excited. For him to be that close to her, for him to bite her...she shook her head a little, she didn't need to be having horrible thoughts like that. She was eighteen, too young for any of that.

Actually...she was eighteen. The age to be married at. But what was she thinking? Raziel would never want any of that from her, she was sure he had some vampire wife or something.

He sighed sadly, then, closing his eyes and tilting his head back against his chair. "But the vampires are dying off anyway. We don't have too many females left. And the males are going crazy, the beast inside them taking them over. I have had to put down a few of my own men." He sighed. "And sometime in the future, I will go like them, if I cannot find my mate."

She felt sad for him in that moment, that his people were being driven crazy because her people were killing off their mates. She cleared her throat and asked tentatively, "Does your mate...have to be a vampire?" it was a bold question, but she felt like it needed to be asked. She was already sure there was no one else in the world for her but him.

"There are a few turned human females that have become mates. But we must find our other half, the one that completes us, that literally has the other half of our soul. Humans and other humanoids are not born with a full spirit. They have to find the one that has their other half, the one that fate has them looking for." He sighed and let his head droop. He wasn't going to say that he felt that connection from her, could hear her calling for him, because he knew mentally that she would reject him. Knew that because of what had happened to some of his clan.

She leaned forward a little bit, captivated again by his words. "Do you think that you know who your other half is?" she whispered, a little bit of mischieviousness in her voice. She knew that her father would hate her forever if he knew that she liked Raziel the way she did. But then she suddenly had a thought...what better way to unite the two kingdoms? The king's daughter with the vampire leader.

But...Raziel would never take her, she was sure. She was just a silly little human girl to him. Sure, he called her Cara Mia, but...there were plenty of others better than her out there.

"All vampires know when they find their mate. And their mate does, too, though they don't recognize it. But the vampires know what happens when one goes too fast. They get shunned, and possibly disconnected altogether. They end up killing themselves because they cannot win the affection of the one they need. And then the female feels the death, and they know what happened. They feel the alone-ness and sadness of losing their other half, and eventually are driven mad or kill themselves, as well."

She hesitated before she said anything to him. She felt so drawn to him, like she needed to be in his presence to be alive. Any time that she wasn't with him she was a little down, she felt incomplete. When he had moved here her mood had brightened altogether, even when she wasn't directly with him. She stared at him longingly, not aware of the fact that her pining for him was so obvious on her face. "That's so sad..."

He read her expression correctly after opening his eyes and looking at her. "Lust always comes first in a relationship. Always, always, always. Love always follows. There might be some anger, because no relationship lasts without it, but they cannot be apart from each other for long."

She continued to look into his eyes, getting more and more lost in them as each second passed. She wanted to tell him so badly that she wanted him, that she needed him, but she was afraid he would reject her because he already had a mate. He knew that she liked him, but that could mean a thousand things. "Raziel, I..." she searched for the words, "I...I can't live without you." her voice got softer near the end of the sentence, nervousness suddenly taking her over. She couldn't believe she had said the words.

He heard her words, and smiled again, a much softer fold of his lips. "I know." He said softly, getting up and moving in front of her. He knelt down in front of her, looking into her eyes even closer, stroking her cheek lightly with the back of his hand. "And neither can I, Cara Mia."

Her mouth dropped open a little bit when he knelt in front of her. Her skin burned as his cool hand stroked her cheek. She stared back into his eyes, finding the rest of her soul in them. She knew that she had been looking for something there, and now she knew what. She wanted to fling her arms around him and hold onto him forever, to never lose him, but she felt like that would be a little too brazen.

"You should talk to your father about this." He said softly. "Because I highly doubt he would like me stealing you away like Vampires normally do. There is a spring up in the mountain that we use to heal using the power of the earth. We will stay there for a while."

She nodded, committed to doing anything that he needed her to do to allow them to be together. "When should I do it? Not now, it's the middle of the night, he's sleeping..." she thought for a moment, when would be the best time? "I can do it tomorrow, after breakfast. He's usually very cheery then."

Back
Top Bottom