Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Superhero Thread Feedback

Sorry, I guess I need to actually write something here. I made a request thread and I want people to tell me their opinions on it. The link is in the post above. I usually don't get much interest in any of my request threads to start with, so it would make sense that no one would be interested in giving me critiques. I've been role playing for over a decade by now, but I don't get nearly as much action now as when I did starting off. Trends and topics are so incredibly different now, and what I want has become more and more narrow and specific. It's hard to build up the motivation to cast wider nets when I can only stomach this one particular type of fish.

The thread looks pretty good, you have everything there from the plot to general information. RTs are so subjective it's difficult to pinpoint any specific issues that won't just be personal opinion. The only thing I can think of is perhaps in information about you, you could include details about how you write, such as paragraph length, time frame of responses, preferred viewpoint. Also personally I enjoy using spoilers in my threads, I find it helps to condense sections of an RT for a little cleaner look.

For your situation though, I think the biggest thing you'll find is that with only one plot you'll be waiting around for the right person to come along. Not saying you need to spread out, one interest is fine but it will mean committing to more of a long haul with finding a partner.

Good luck.

The thread is OK in general, but it could be more efficient. There's a lot of text to get through for what is essentially a single plot with one half of the relationship already set. I think it could be done more efficiently.

1) Lists get noticed. Paragraphs diffuse your message. Lists concentrate it.
2) What lists should you include? Common ones are things you're looking to get from your partner. Kinks you're hoping to indulge. Your no-list. If you do have more than one plot/scenario/whatever, that can be golden. Even things that you ascribe to the setting you want to play in.
3) One list can be some basic rules, but it's important not to sound preachy or elitist.
4) I would definitely put Argentum's details in a spoiler tag. It's fine information to present, but presented as is it makes the RT "feel" much longer. People who want to know more are certainly going to be willing to click on a spoiler tag.

You do have a list in your RT and that list immediately grabbed my attention ... but it didn't contain the sort of things I expect to see in an RT. You do much of them in the various text blocks, which is certainly better than not including them. But I have to really mine your RT for them, and - crucially - since they're scattered throughout the RT I have to remember all them as I'm going through the text.

People who scan and reply to RTs have a list of criteria in their minds they're checking off as they review your thread. The more spread out the info the greater the likelihood they decide there's not enough check marks to reply.

Because there's one plot, and because the list draws your attention to that plot, many respondents aren't going to feel they can 'work' with you on the plot - they'll either say 'yeah, that's exactly what I want to RP' (and lets face it, 'ideal' is a lot harder to find than 'close') or just pass on by. Of course, if that's really the only thing you want to do, and that's exactly how you want to do it -- kudos to you, that's presented well. But you must understand that greatly narrows your potential partners.

The points I would try to highlight if I were making said thread:
  • Silver Age
  • Solo M superhero x Solo F superheroine
  • Major kink categories (like you mentioned tentacles, which suggests non-con and potential partners beyond the 'main pairing'). This is also where you would presumably mention non-canon.
  • What you would like to see in your partner (feel free to use 'soft' language; preferences not requirements) - for instance I know what The Most Common Superpower means, but others may not know this is defining a preferred partner body type
  • It's somewhat standard to give a rough idea of frequency and/or length of responses you're expecting. Every time you tick a box a potential responder is looking for, you make it more likely she'll write to you, even if she's a little squishy on the main plot. If you make her guess, based on the amount of text in the RT and the mention of long-term, she'll make assumptions. If she doesn't like what those assumptions say, you'll never hear from her.

Back
Top Bottom