Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Silver Ships of Andilar - Traveller - OOC

@captain_bond

Let's find time to coordinate backstories at some point. Had some ideas I hoped to pass by you. We can chat here or on discord, if you prefer.
Discord is preferred as I'm gonna be running around for a while pretty soon. Don't worry, it's all via my Lambor-feet-nis so there's no danger of texting and driving. captain_bond#3059

Discord is preferred as I'm gonna be running around for a while pretty soon. Don't worry, it's all via my Lambor-feet-nis so there's no danger of texting and driving. captain_bond#3059

Invite sent. We can chat whenever.

We are naval siblings, it would seem. Let me know if you are interested in our character's backgrounds intersecting at all. It may be well enough that the could have heard (or ran into) one another at Academy. But, I suppose that begs the question of whether there's a single, Imperial academy for naval officers.

At any rate, let me know what you prefer.

Contact would probably need to be post academy. Celira's got an extra term, so presumably was 4 years ahead of Torven. I put a military resume in Celira's profile, but it can certainly be reworked as I mostly just made it up using the Traveller wiki as a reference.

Yeah, Ahlanna sure is making use of the wiki. I had no idea about the Deneb Knights, though it makes sense as Deneb is pretty well developed within the official setting. But I am playing a little loose with things so don't necessarily expect things to be the same. Within the timeline though I am setting it after the Fourth Frontier War.

And to reference back to the table I had posted in the other thread under the UWP the seventh number refers to a law level. So for example, Glisten the system you'll be arriving in has a law level of 6. This is defined as: Most firearms (all except shotguns) are prohibited. The carrying of any weapon openly is discouraged.

So on Glisten any weapons would draw suspicion; but a sword is perfectly legal. If you go to a world with a lower law level the more powerful a weapon you can carry around with you.

In that case, I would hope some exceptions would be made for former members of the military, at least as far as pistols and daggers are concerned.

That is one option, you can also just risk it, bribe any cop that notices, perhaps you need to buy a license or join an organization.

Like as a noble Ahlanna's character can easily wear a side arm so long as she's easily recognizable as an imperial noble. Though that's just in worlds loyal to the Imperium.

Got to wait tell you get to glisten, while in the star port jurisdiction itself you'll be alright; but Glisten is independently run by a civil service bureaucracy.

Glisten is also less of a world and more a collection of satellites clustered together. But if it is your interest to try and get a license I'll roll some dice and try to think up a fair price.

Yeah, Ahlanna sure is making use of the wiki. I had no idea about the Deneb Knights, though it makes sense as Deneb is pretty well developed within the official setting. But I am playing a little loose with things so don't necessarily expect things to be the same. Within the timeline though I am setting it after the Fourth Frontier War.

Yeah, I was careful to pick stuff of relatively minor importance. I noticed the divergence between the map you posted and the wiki with respect to Mora.

Got lucky on this one, though, with respect to the planned timeline:

"The tactical change was a shift from Battle Riders to jump-capable battleships. The early weeks of the war had shown a serious design weakness of the battle rider. When faced with superior numbers, the riders were unable to withdraw and jump out-system due to the time required to secure them in their Fleet tenders. Thus, rider BatRons suffered disproportionate losses in the early stages of the war."

I had Celira stationed on a carrier for a bit, to justify the Ship's Boat expertise, and then transitioned her to a battleship for the last 6 or so years of her service. So that tracks pretty well.

If anyone wants to expand their characters some more I have a d66 life event table and d66 PC relation table.

All you would need to do is roll 2d6 and read the results 11-66.

Sure, why not? Celira tosses a 6, 5 for the life event and a 1, 3 for the PC relation.

I'll give dice results read left right and right left.

Life Event
65 - Got into a huge amount of debt equal to 1d6 x 20,000 credits
56 - Were caught up in political turmoil. (roll 1d6) You are either a hero (1-3) or villain (4-6)

PC Relationship
13 - Secretly hates
31 - Admires

It's a small group, so I wouldn't want to go with "secretly hates".

Given Celira's status, turmoil makes more sense than debt. I didn't see her as a gambler (she plays a little loose with the odds in life, doesn't need to do it in a game) or drug user, so debt would likely be for some kind of purchase - and she doesn't have the corresponding asset. Besides, she's only just out of serving on ships, so it's not like she needed a house or vehicle or anything until last month. She is the type to buy a vehicle and crash it cutting the corners too fast and tight (not by being under the influence - that's not her), but she's not the type to fail to have leveraged her position to get great insurance.

Political turmoil seems easy enough. She is expected to have positions on major events, after all. Oooh, rolled a 6. So is "villain" a moral term in this case - like asserted and fought for the supremacy of Imperial authority despite its impact on the little ones? Or is it more of a public image one?

Well the event need not be post character generation, during one of your terms perhaps logistics were behind and you had to turn to some private entity to get some equipment to those under your command; but the imperium never reimbursed you.

All depends on how you the player want to interpret it. This is just to prod the imagination.

Absolutely down for that --

Life Event __ 3,1 or 1,3

PC Relationship Table __ 2,3 or 3,2

Life Event
31 - Fled your homeworld, devastated by plague, war, famine or asteroid strike
13 - Fell in love, (roll 1d6) but your lover (1-2) died, (3-4) vanished, or (5-6) turned against you.

PC Relationship
23 - Good friends
32 - Secretly jealous

Life Event
(13) Feel in love but Torven's lover betrayed him.
During Torven's second tour, he served as strategic intelligence observer in the 523rd Fleet which had been assigned to the frontier region of the Five Sisters Sector. The new territory which the Empire wished to expand had been suffering from the depredation of the berserking raiders -- pirates from The Sword World Confederation. Torven worked closely with a naval reconnaissance officer in Imperial Galactic Operations. Lt. Commander Tella Rovast proved in valuable in sharing her deep knowledge of the Sword Worlds naval tactic, speaking of them with an admiration that Torven found unusual. Long voyages alone while jumping between observation points left many days for intimacy; it was on one such jump that Lt. Commander Rovast halted the jump amidst the Sword World Confederation's infamous Narsil Fleet. A struggle ensued, and Torven barely won the upper hand. He bound his former lover in bonds before escaping in an escape corvette -- the fleet firing after him with fighters in pursuit before he short-jumped to an Imperial outpost near Elixbeth. Upon debriefing, it was determined that Lt. Comm. Rovast had been a Sword World Conf. agent planted to sabotage Imperial naval efforts in the region. Torven had loved her, as much as he could a woman -- making him jaded about all romantic "entanglement".

PC Relationship
(23) Good Friends.
I've been in contact with @captain_bond about an arrangement or business understanding. He can be this "good friend" if he's game.

Last edited:
More nuanced questions for our glorious GM.

1. I noticed that the rules for silencers note that they "have been proven practical only when applied to body pistols, revolvers, and automatic pistols." This does not sound like an exclusion to using them for other classes of firearms. The reason for my inquiry is that Torven is thinking of his assault rifle as a sniper rifle. Sniper rifles pretty much have silencers standard in our era, especially for the purposes of flash suppression. Can an assault rifle use a silencer in our world?

2. Under Drugs (yup, I'm gonna go there) there's an interesting entry on drug types. There are entries for combat drugs, medical drugs, and truth drugs. Would we have access to these prior to beginning? I know Celira has medical skills, so it might make sense if she wanted some; likewise, being an intelligence-type agent might give me access to truth drugs. Thoughts? Where can these be purchases out in the galaxy ... do we know?

3. Let's talk about the computer skill. Torven is an ex-naval officer, so it stands to reason that he would be proficient in computer programs that relate to the operation of naval vessels. Would he be able to engage with computers in a non-naval setting? Would he be able to craft non-naval programs?

Lastly, updated my character background info on my character profile. Take a look and let me if you see any problems.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in responding, work has been a bit demanding and leaving my brain soft and simple when away. So let's see if I can answer these questions.

1. So modern silencers don't really silence noise; but suppress it. And rifle rounds typically travel faster then a handguns so there's more energy to deal with. I will offer this to you. If you want to equip a silencer to your rifle then it will have the qualities for surprise when ranged out 200+ meters; but not when used in full auto.

2. With drugs most of them can be purchased easily enough, now the truth drugs and psi drugs would be more difficult to come across and would need to spend time to find a supplier. Some creativity can ease this though, look forward to what wild thoughts my players may have.

3. Yes, and yes. I don't know how much of a role crafting programs will have within the ship combat since I'll mostly be using Ship's Boat as inspiration for handling a craft since we're doing more theater of the mind. But programs can be useful outside of combat.

And I see nothing wrong with the profile.

Not a problem. I'm all too familiar with work numbing the mind.

1. Acknowledging the misconception of a firearm being "silent", I think we are on the same page. If "silence" was my objective, I'd have selected a bolt-action rifle and lobbied for sub-sonic ammunition. I suppose my goal is the effective delivery of rounds at longer range with reasonable concealment -- this would be achieved by a silencer (or, more accurately a "baffler") for noise and flash suppression. I see Torven being someone able to remain at a distance, not only lending supporting fire but also watching the situation unfold (thanks to his optics) and communicating via comm links. It's understandable that Torven's position would be determined (by our opponents) once the bullets (or lasers) begin flying, and the 200+ meter distance sounds fair; that would place him in "long" range where his optics give his chance to hit an advantage.

2. Yup, that all makes sense and availability does seem like the largest hurdle. I think I might be the only weirdo wanting something extraordinary -- a rationale for Torven to have access to vials of 'truth' drugs might be his having met a black ops contact prior for being "discharged". Perhaps this contact gives Torven access to a set number of doses, but mandates that he use one dose to administer to a certain person. I'm thinking this person might be a puppet ruler in a contested region -- he/she's been authorizing unusual deployments and troop allocations. This ruler might have a defensive motivation .... or it could be seen as putting the pieces in place to make an offensive move against a high-value, Imperial target. Our group could be headed in this region and he wants Torven to gain an audience and extract some degree of truth about their motivations. It could be that the Imperial war apparatus cannot spare assets to counter the perceived threat in a conventional manner .... so Torven is tasked with finding out the nature of the situation. Just a thought -- I can think of others if this does not meld with your ideas.
LyH5Lzh.jpg

3. Great. I guess I just wanted us to be on the same page w.r.t. what Torven should be expected to do. My take-away from your answer is that Torven can interface with both naval and non-naval computers for a variety of tasks.

Larger question -- is the map you posted HERE going to be the sector we're operating in? If yes, where is this sector located relative in the larger scale of the galaxy? Is there a context map you are working from that details the extent of the Empire and other factions? EDIT: So, I just noticed that the asteroid system on your map (Glisten) is the same as Torven's system of origin -- that was not intentional! LOL

Do we have any further information about the nature of our group's coming together or mission or association?

Glisten's not just on the map, I believe it's our starting world. Well, system of planetoids.

Back
Top Bottom