Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Where do you write out your posts?

Where do you usually write out your posts?

• Directly on BM or Discord (text boxes)

• Word/OpenOffice

• Google Docs

• Notepad/Wordpad

• Phone App

• Other Program/Site (Tell us!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
poll

Passion

Fueled
I usually use a website called WordCounter. Would I recommend it? Not really.

I should probably find a different word processor, but it is fine. It does what I need it to. It is without many bells or whistles, it auto saves, and I use it out of habit when I cared more about word/character count. I tried to switch to google docs, but I end up with a bunch of docs, and it seems like overkill for what I need it for.

I don't like to write on BM/Discord directly; I'm one misclick away from sending a half done post lol. However, I assume that most users use BM text box. Maybe not! Let's find out.

So, what about you all? Any recommendations? Comments?

P.S. I once had an RP friend who used the Chrome's URL bar once to type up a post (he thought he was just going to write out a one liner but kept going, lmao). Some of us writers will write anywhere we can, huh?

Last edited:
I'm so used to academic forums with people arguing the benefits of LaTeX over Word; this is such a nice change!!

And to answer the question, if it's a small post like this, it goes right in. Otherwise, Word: TNR, 12-point font. School drilled that into me.

I write in Scrivener now! It's completely overkill, usually used to organize entire novels, but yeah. Before Scrivener, I used notepad/BM, but... I own Scrivener now, and it's just kind of a neater user interface even if it was meant for something else entirely. It has a pretty neat autosave thing going, I just close it and open it back up and BAM it's right where I left it. I write in a document called "temp writing". I also have a "temp writing 2", in case I decide to work on two things at once. Then I just delete it once what I want to write is posted, emptying up the document for whatever comes next. I like it, although I could definitely do the same in another program, lol.

Is there decent spelling/grammar checking on there? I've been on my desktop writing on word then going over things with a fine tooth comb with LanguageTool because my spelling and grammar, are atrocious.

I use Grammarly.com. I would say I prefered Grammarly circa 2016 more than the current one. It used to be straight grammar check and good writing experience (based on markdown), but now their machine-learning doo-dad seems to be recommending me utter nonsense, so I am on the prowl for a nice writing+grammar checker.

Depends on where the RP is taking place, usually. Notepad and Discord are the two most common ones I tend to use for actual writing before I send the reply off.

For anything I want to save, transfer to a post, or otherwise keep around as a scrap, I'm a big fan of OneNote for Windows. The only problem with OneNote is that it's way too easy to accumulate thirty notebooks with fifty entries each, all with titles like "Save This" and "For Later." Basically, it's as organized as you are.

Finally, something I can answer as someone who finally picked up an external word processor (external, here, meaning outside of relying on the draft system that Blue Moon so generously provided. Big thanks for Veks for providing that, I have had so many posts get eaten due to time-outs on other roleplay sites that I have perused over the decades).

Just today, I downloaded a program called StimuWrite, which is made with neurodivergent people and those with attention span issues in mind! So far, I have put in a good chunk of a post on there, and I absolutely love it. I saw it advertised on Twitter the other day, and I just knew I had to check it out. Best of all, it's donationware! I just wish it had the autosave and formatting functions that Google Docs has. But other than that, no complaints. :)

On BMR, I use the textbox itself since it has the autosave feature, which is my friend. For other writings, I use GDocs that I need to clean out as soon as possible because some posts are there from my PG-13 days of writing 😂 Which was about 4 years ago now. don't judge me

typically onsite. However, I may also use discord I suppose. I like the dark mode. easier on the eyes than using Word.

Definitely googledocs. Everything is all neat in place. I used to just write directly on sites until I lost work in the process so yeah.

I tend to use a mix of google docs and word. But most of the time, I like to just have another tab open on my browser and not switch between different windows[which makes me easily confused] so I tend to stick with google docs. I clean it out once every week or month-- depending on how active I've been writing.

I use Git, a version control system which is used by the Linux kernel developers and even the Android Open Source Project for developing their software; it's probably the most popular version control system on the planet, and it's completely free (both cost and freedom to modify).

Git's branches feature is a game changer when it comes to managing anything software-based, including request threads and RP responses; you can manage concurrent versions of the same files, stash them for later use, separate in-development and complete versions, and so much more. It was originally designed to manage program source code, but it works perfectly for anything including text, and works quite well (with limitations) with binary formats such as images and videos. If you make a mistake or want to roll back your changes, it's instant. It's almost impossible to lose data when using Git. Its collaboration features mean anyone with permission can work on the project you're working on, too.

I have used Word almost exclusively for going on two decades (....man I'm getting old...), but I've recently picked up Scrivener for working on my novel and I'm thinking of transfering over it for my more involved scenes, its such a cool program once you figure out what you want it to do for you.

I have used Word almost exclusively for going on two decades (....man I'm getting old...), but I've recently picked up Scrivener for working on my novel and I'm thinking of transfering over it for my more involved scenes, its such a cool program once you figure out what you want it to do for you.
I do Word on occasion as well, but I'll check out Scrivener too. And thankfully the saving system on BMR has gotten incredibly robust, so I mainly use that for these stories.

Back
Top Bottom