Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Where do you write out your posts?

Where do you usually write out your posts?

• Directly on BM or Discord (text boxes)

• Word/OpenOffice

• Google Docs

• Notepad/Wordpad

• Phone App

• Other Program/Site (Tell us!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
poll

Passion

Fueled
I usually use a website called WordCounter. Would I recommend it? Not really.

I should probably find a different word processor, but it is fine. It does what I need it to. It is without many bells or whistles, it auto saves, and I use it out of habit when I cared more about word/character count. I tried to switch to google docs, but I end up with a bunch of docs, and it seems like overkill for what I need it for.

I don't like to write on BM/Discord directly; I'm one misclick away from sending a half done post lol. However, I assume that most users use BM text box. Maybe not! Let's find out.

So, what about you all? Any recommendations? Comments?

P.S. I once had an RP friend who used the Chrome's URL bar once to type up a post (he thought he was just going to write out a one liner but kept going, lmao). Some of us writers will write anywhere we can, huh?

Last edited:
I write in Scrivener now! It's completely overkill, usually used to organize entire novels, but yeah. Before Scrivener, I used notepad/BM, but... I own Scrivener now, and it's just kind of a neater user interface even if it was meant for something else entirely. It has a pretty neat autosave thing going, I just close it and open it back up and BAM it's right where I left it. I write in a document called "temp writing". I also have a "temp writing 2", in case I decide to work on two things at once. Then I just delete it once what I want to write is posted, emptying up the document for whatever comes next. I like it, although I could definitely do the same in another program, lol.

It's 50/50 with me. I'll write out on Google Docs, just because me actively having to seek out the word count makes me more willing to write what needs to be said as opposed to any word count. Due to the word count being here I tend to taper out at around 500 words instead of going past it. I will say going back to format properly on the site isn't entirely fun but hey, it's not the worst thing in the world.

Microsoft Word with a comfortable Dark Theme to go easy on my eyes.

Like Passion, I don't want to accidentally send a half-written post.

Libre office, an offshoot of open office. Does what I need out to!

Honestly, I don't use just one spot, but the vast majority of what I write is directly in the BM text box. Yeah, there's the risk of accidentally sending a post early, and once or twice over the past several years it has entirely happened due to my phone acting up (that's right, I type posts not only in the BM text box but also on my phone, I'm basically a criminal) and causing a missclick and I think one time a pocket click? Point is, I just said whoops, told my partner it was a mistake, voided the post, continued on. Not really a big deal, and the text box does everything it needs to do: take text that I put in it. A few times I've taken things to Word because it helps me on days that I'm having a particularly hard time focusing and I want to do something very specific with the text I'm trying to get out. I have a blank file called "RP Writing" for when I do that, and I just continue writing below whatever I wrote last. It's like a little tapestry of my difficult brain days.

Google doc 100% of the time. the formatting directly copy/paste into bmr, so I can get all my italicize-abuse out of the way while I'm typing. The constant auto save is amazing.

Also, Passion, with regard to too many docs - just don't keep them? I pretty much type my writing into a random untitled doc, and clear them out once a week or something. Or delete the content of an untitled doc and start typing.

edit: also google doc can go dark theme, which is great. has its own spelling/grammar check that will allow me to add words to my own 'dictionary'. has word counter too but not constantly displayed. google docs is amazing that is all

I have not accidentally sent early posts. I've lost posts in text boxes over the years, because I'm ADHD and click in other tabs while working on a post. Nothing will kill motivation faster than clicking back to the rp tab and have it reload and the text box is just empty now. And there's nothing to do to get what you wrote back. I'm on tablets so any F# shortcut crap isn't accessible to me. No "undo" buttons. Nothing.

I know BMR saves things in the text box now but I just don't trust it. I've had once or twice still where I have lost stuff due to a reloaded page because I went to another tab to look at something else. I'm officially in the habit of transferring from Google docs. I'm also in the habit of typing coding in my posts. So, when I paste it on BMR, I don't adjust or add anything. I just post it.

Google doc 100% of the time. the formatting directly copy/paste into bmr, so I can get all my italicize-abuse out of the way while I'm typing. The constant auto save is amazing.

Also, Passion, with regard to too many docs - just don't keep them? I pretty much type my writing into a random untitled doc, and clear them out once a week or something. Or delete the content of an untitled doc and start typing.

edit: also google doc can go dark theme, which is great. has its own spelling/grammar check that will allow me to add words to my own 'dictionary'. has word counter too but not constantly displayed. google docs is amazing that is all

In general, google docs (and similar programs like word) to me seems a bit too "heavy" for RP, which is more or less fleeting writing. Formats and such don't really transfer over anyway. Sadly, it doesn't offer anything I need. I also use Grammarly for spell check/personal dictionary since it carries everywhere I am online. For long term writing projects, I do use google docs, (which I'm starting to change my mind about since once you get to page 15-20 or so, it starts lagging real bad), but something about using it for short term writing doesn't sit right with me. Maybe since it is tied to an account...? Also, it reminds me of opening up Photoshop for a quick crop when I really could use paint.

I know I can go to the same doc each time, but I found it quicker to keep making new docs by mistake than return to my old doc (if that makes sense). I'm sure I could focus on using it more productively, but I don't see enough appeal to change over. I'm like, barely one step over the notepad monster in thread, lol. Less going on, the better.

In general, google docs (and similar programs like word) to me seems a bit too "heavy" for RP, which is more or less fleeting writing. Formats and such don't really transfer over anyway. Sadly, it doesn't offer anything I need. I also use Grammarly for spell check/personal dictionary since it carries everywhere I am online. For long term writing projects, I do use google docs, (which I'm starting to change my mind about since once you get to page 15-20 or so, it starts lagging real bad), but something about using it for short term writing doesn't sit right with me. Maybe since it is tied to an account...? Also, it reminds me of opening up Photoshop for a quick crop when I really could use paint.

I know I can go to the same doc each time, but I found it quicker to keep making new docs by mistake than return to my old doc (if that makes sense). I'm sure I could focus on using it more productively, but I don't see enough appeal to change over. I'm like, barely one step over the notepad monster in thread, lol. Less going on, the better.
what are you tryna format? because the basic formatting does transfer, and that's primarily why I favor it.

that said it is all individual preferences!

edit: For clarity, when I say basic formatting, I mean bold, italicize, that kind of thing. I can't imagine having to manually italicize my text on bmr, such a pain

I'll admit that Google Docs would be a safer option ... in case any abrupt internet problems came up. But I'm almost always able to type my replies out directly on the forums quick/easily enough that I don't need to use Docs. I probably will use it (Docs) as a backup if it is ever needed, though.

Depends what I'm doing.

General OOC chats I put straight into the BMR text field.

Story planning and story writing go into Word first, then into BMR.

It depends. If they're long posts, I'll go to Notepad or something. Sometimes even write a draft in Outlook so I can save it and pick it up between work and personal computers. If it's short, I'll reply in whatever platform we're using.

Used to do Google Docs, but nowadays I've been really enjoying using the 'reply' feature here on BMR, I can respond directly after each paragraph and that way I miss nothing and catch all the little details my partners include and I want to make sure everything is noticed and 'seen'!

Mostly here to echo what has already been said about the BM text box doing what I want it to do and generally being a really solid tool with auto-saving that I appreciate. That said, when I'm going to be offline for long periods and want to write -- e.g., on a trans-continental flight -- I don't trust the text box (or google docs or any other online editor). I want something that'll save directly to my SSD. I want something I know I can rely on to give me exactly what I want without any hiccups or shenanigans.

And for that?

I use Vim.

I usually don't write super long, I like when the RP progresses quickly back and forth. So I type it right here in the text boxes

Direct into text box/discord/whatever.

If it's a big setup, I'll use Scrivener or Word.

I knew monsters like you existed. ;p
And now you've found another one.

I'm probably worse given I can't decide if I want to consistently use one notepad, make a couple or commandeer other notepad windows. So if you hacked my computer and found smut in a readme file: oops...

Scrivener if it's an incredibly detailed or ground-up worldbuilding project, Google Docs if I'm worried about running into a character limit or want something more spread-out than a forum posting box.

Back
Top Bottom