Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)
ᴛɪᴛʟᴇ - ғᴏʀ ɴᴀᴠɪɢᴀᴛɪᴏɴ

ƒeral

𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝔀𝓲𝓵𝓭 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕧𝕖𝕚𝕟𝕤
Supporter
ƒeral'space

titlef.png

fontff.png

center.png

Make way when I'm walking
pray when I'm talking it's to you
Fight for my attention
for your ascension you must prove

Last edited:
0lG_eMtKWpYN6xxNwy8dGvnmipvUcy1-BbD7NcMyS3Er695gOk0blWVEiODi5N1FZ5zsBfBI2YEaXIF2c06HIeO8z25BIznopCi2UaF6eZerB-vYEp2xLIHaeOpmMXgcs_u5Gl7h

On this marvelous Lantern Rite, we pray that the fallen heroes may be guided home.
Every single wish, no matter how small, is worth seeing to fruition.
We will finally reunite with those we long for on a dreamlike night.

Paper lanterns float into the indigo and violet canvas like fireflies dancing over the tides. Orange lights flutter at their own rhythm, no wish too burdensome to carry it through the sky. Liyue harbor teemed with energy; the swell of joy from the community was a moment of pride for the city. This festival was the hard work of the civilians and the Qixing, a joint effort to uphold tradition and usher in the new moon.

The residents brought their hands together for weeks, crafting the lanterns to honor the fallen heroes; now the moment to enjoy the eve’s festivities was upon them. Crisp air, ripe with sweet dew from the afternoon rain swept through Liyue plaza, ferrying the scent of local dishes with it. Anticipation for the fireworks show created an infectious buzz, and people gathered closer to the pier for a close-up of the event. Families convened at the shore, and Ningguang was a mannequin in the animated crowd of tourists. Those jewels that lit up the sky would be better enjoyed with another soul, but not just anyone who happened to be nearby.

Ningguang favored seclusion over crowds, and the expectations from the people as Tianquan was looming over her. Her social butterfly and graces was on hiatus for the night. The early hours of the evening were spent bowing to elders; maintaining peace between small business owners with their unsettled affairs, and clearing petty disputes that spanned generations. Ningguang lent her ears to the children of Liyue and humored them in exchange for priceless information: secrets on everyone in Liyue. Her knowledge made her powerful threat and valuable ally as a businesswoman. She longed for something more meaningful; pleasure over all else. Someone to stoke her fire, but knew when the flames were too hot to conquer.

There was one more base Ningguang needed to touch; a voice she knew as one of her favorite melodies to ever grace her ears. Ningguang’s memory of the woman made her doubt her vision, her mind didn’t do the true image justice. Things were undoubtedly heated at times, yet, Ningguang craved that presence at the end of the night. That garnet jewel was a lot like looking into her own eyes, but didn’t feel like she was looking into a mirror at all. There was so much more to explore, but Ningguang was reluctant to admit that chaos and order were two fish in the same pond. The jests and late night chess games; bickering over silly things that almost made her laugh was invaluable to her.

"Hm."

Ningguang glided effortlessly upstairs, cerulean satin sparkling underneath the warmth of the lanterns ghosting overhead. The frosted blue chiffon and tulle was a fresh spin on her pearl and jade qipao that she wore daily. Her moon kissed complexion was frozen and smooth, not so much as a smile to betray what was flowing through her mind. The herbal remedy in the smoking pipe burned low, and Ningguang balanced the bowl between her pink fingernails, her hand resting on the railing. Her coral painted lips part, and a hazy trail seeps from her mouth into a cloudy screen, concealing all but her silhouette from view.

Last edited:

beidoubannerfin.png

ʙᴇɪᴅᴏᴜ
Mingling came easily to Beidou. She dallied at the merchant stalls, praising Sharp-Knife Chen for those perfectly spherical glutinous rice balls. Frequented the Third-Round Knockout - because of course she did - and wetted both her lips and refilled her flask. The name was kind of a running joke between her and Degui. Because yes, while the tavern undoubtedly served quite strong wine, three rounds were barely an appetizer to the Captain of the Crux. She did actually take him up on his challenge to test exactly how much she could drink on one occasion, but ah, after she allowed herself to be goaded into a bar fight with some sailors from Mondstadt, the wine stopped flowing and the results remained inconclusive.

That had been quite the incident. Her, a whole cask of wine in hand, still drinking from it even as she ducked and wove amidst the onslaught of a whole Mondstadt crew. No weapons were drawn, but that was not to say the same of blood. As far as she was concerned, nobody died and nobody was maimed, so you know, she behaved herself. A definition that varied from individual to individual to be sure. Suffice to say, the Tianquan wasn’t particularly happy with her for having to smooth over that particular diplomatic incident.

Beidou could still fondly recall - and this was quite the feat, considering just how inebriated she was by that point - the way Ningguang’s brows had knitted, a tension mirrored in the graceful slopes of her shoulders and back, when she showed up to diffuse the situation. Yet, even whilst the woman who seemed to redefine regality glared daggers and pin-needles into her, even as that keen gaze surveyed the wreckage of the once well-kept tavern, no doubt already calculating just how much Mora it was going to cost to repair the damage, Beidou only had a single thought on her mind.

I’ll be damned, what a woman. Bet she would look hella good draped upon the bowsprit of the Alcor.

And, what Beidou wanted, she pursued.

It became almost a game between the two of them, the push and pull, the cat and mouse - or at least, that was how it felt like to Beidou. Ningguang was a hard one to read. One moment, smiling over a joke the Captain told over a game of chess, and the next, politely and firmly asking her to see herself out. The Tianquan was certainly unlike any women Beidou had been with - or rather, wanted to get with, to her consternation - shocking given that list of names could easily rival the length of one of those economic treatises Ningguang was so fond of.

Yes, she knew what Ningguang liked to read. Might have looked into other things the Tianquan supposedly did or did not like as well. Beidou was nothing if not dedicated to her pursuits, and Ningguang was proving to be a delightful challenge. She had been hankering for one of those after laying Haishan low.

And so, it would come as no surprise that the Captain found her way up to the seclusion the Tianquan sought out, pursuing the streak of frosted blue that she had kept in her peripheral for some time now. The pervasive herbal top-notes from that smoking pipe drowned out the scent of sea that Beidou always carried with her, like saline, petrichor, and warm sun, a potent concoction that never seemed to fade no matter how many days she spent on land. But, even amidst the thin mist, there was no denying the picture Beidou cut. Lithe yet imposing in that signature red of hers, with immodest side slits that allowed for freedom of movement in combat, among other things. Her Vision swayed with each step, drawing the eye to the slim of her waist and the flare of her hips, to the exposed segments of her thighs just beneath. A coincidence? Nah.

The clicks of her heels announced her arrival, though she doubted that Ningguang didn’t already see her coming a mile away. She drew to a stop a few steps in front and to the side of the Tianquan, drinking in that exquisite dress and what laid beneath without the slightest pretension otherwise. Beidou might only have one eye left, but that was more than enough to appreciate beautiful things.

“Hey, check you out.” A hand placed on her hips, angling her body in a practiced display that absolutely emphasized her curves. Her tone lifted, airy and flirtatious, unsubtle in intent. “Looking pretty fancy.” A pause, allowing Ningguang to acknowledge her presence, before she added. “So, wanna tell me what you wished for?”

Last edited:
byferal.png

A gentle wind reverses the current of smoke, puffing it away to unveil Ningguang’s well-defined backside. The plunging v-cut out exposed the exquisite complexion of her arched back, her posterior pronounced by the fabric clinging to her milky smooth skin like wind in a sail. Her neck was tall and slim, adorned with a gold brooch that glittered when Ningguang looked wistfully over her shoulder toward the approaching footsteps.

“Only a true treasure catches the eye of Captain Beidou.” Ningguan’s usual colorless inflection bloomed rose red, dripping in something sweet reserved for only for Beidou.“Seems I’ve struck gold.” She lowered her eyelids coyly, and the sparkle of white eyeshadow made those gemstone reds pop upon gazing at her visitor.

Beidou’s ensemble was a dessert for the eyes, and she was low-key relieved that Beidou hadn’t touched a hair on her head; Ningguang would have been disappointed otherwise. Not that Ningguang was into the spirit of complaining, but their values were different and Ningguang acknowledged that. Where she preferred sophistication and perfection, Beidou preferred freedom and…alcohol. She didn't show up dressed up to events like this, but she always expected to see her face in environments where entertainment was rich, and the company was plentiful.

“What could I wish for, Captain Beidou?” Ningguang pressed a soft fingertip to her bottom lip; a kittenish smile livening up her usual placidity. “In other words, inform me of what a dragon king might wish for if treasure readily falls into his lap?“ Ningguang gracefully bridged the physical distance separating them, pausing only when the tip of her shoes was centimeters from Beidou’s pointed boots.

Oh. To catch the jewel of the sea, a finer fisherman could not achieve such a feat.

Beidou was the true treasure in this game of cat and mouse. Ningguang fantasized that the Captain of the Crux, and slayer of Haishin was her true equal in a way in which no other person in Liyue could compare. After all, it was Beidou who beat Ningguang in a game of chess - not once, but twice in two nights. That victory was met with ardor, but Ningguang would assure Beidou there wouldn’t be a third loss to add to her record.

This friendship was knotty in places, and Ningguang self-confessed that she wanted to define what this was between them - sooner, rather than later. Some days it felt that Ningguang progressed past the cynicism, but most of the time Ningguang was puzzled about what she wanted from Beidou. Perhaps, less misconduct and more good behavior?

One can only dream.

beidoubannerfin.png

ʙᴇɪᴅᴏᴜ
Beidou had made light of it, but that really was quite the dress. To be transparent, she was quite fond of Ningguang’s typical black-gold gown; those sovereign colors simply fit the esteemed Tianquan far too well. But this new qipao of hers - doubtlessly crafted just for the Lantern Rites - was hitting quite different. Refinement in spades as always, but more understated. A rich midnight blue that reminded her of the moon-lit sea, of how the waves might ebb and flow like the graceful contours before her. It perhaps went without saying that the far-reaching ocean was her first and foremost love, and she was conceited enough to question if Ningguang sought to evoke those parallels entirely on purpose.

Of course, it wasn’t just the color. Although Beidou did not much care for dressing up unless there was something in it for her, it would be remiss to dismiss the Captain as obtuse when it came to the finer points of style and fashion. Sure, she wouldn’t be able to explain the difference between silk and chiffon, and certainly not describe all the intricacies that went into Ningguang’s choice of festival-wear, but she most definitely had an eye for these kinds of things. One does not become a pirate connoisseur of treasure without being able to discern value.

But even then, it wasn’t the dress she was focusing on. Even as Ningguang turned to address her, she did not bother removing her heated gaze from the exposed expanse of the woman’s back - Archons the dip on that dress - nor did she fail to drag her eye all along the front. With admiring the outfit as her excuse, she quite unsubtly allowed her gaze to linger on the sapphire bead resting just above the enticing valley, sweeping lower to see if she could catch a hint of that crimson tattoo she quite liked, before pulling her gaze up to meet coyness with a look far more bold.

“Treasure, you say?” She grinned, rakishly, turning her jaw a fraction in a way that matched her self-assured posture. Despite their proximity, she did not attempt to lay even a finger upon the Tianquan. No, that would have been easy, expected and boring, and she was quite sure that Ningguang was not the type to welcome an uninvited touch. With the two of them facing each other, the differences in their respective builds were far more obvious. Beidou was taller, not by much, but enough that when she gazed upon Ningguang, it was with her eye downcast, narrowed with amusement at the woman’s clear invitation for a verbal spar. Very well. The Tianquan was certainly no stranger to the sharp intellect ordinarily shrouded behind Beidou's easygoing demeanor and her fondness of action over words.

“Well, first, I would have to be sure, you know?” Beidou raised a hand to brush the back of her fingers against the chiffon that trailed from Ningguang’s dress in an imitation of sleeves. “I’m sure I don’t need to tell my dear Tianquan just how common counterfeits are these days and age. Quite clever, those counterfeiters, forcing me to spend so much extra time inspecting any might-be treasures for quality.” Her touch trailed higher, brushing against the blue ruffle suspiciously similar in texture to the white she herself favored, tracing along the bulk of it until it seemed inevitable that she would chance upon skin before she removed her hand altogether.

“There’s this nephrite jade I acquired a few voyages ago, for example. Such a pretty thing. Creamy white, hand-carved by a doubtlessly masterclass artisan in the likeliness of a phoenix mid-flight.” Did she have to pick such an obvious parallel? Obviously. “I was quite taken with the polish, with how smooth it was when I investigated every nook and cranny for signs of defect.” Her smirk said all that needed to be said on that subject. “But as you know, glass replicas could easily be tempered to the same degree of polish. Smooth to touch is not enough to tell apart real jade, no, it’s got to remain perfectly translucent even under direct light. So, obviously, I had to take it to the wick of a candle, turn it this way and that until it warmed to my touch. To my delight, I could not find even a single blemish inside or any unsavory variations in coloration. A real treasure, this one was.”

She could have left it off there, but where was the fun in that? “But I had to be extra sure. Despite its seemingly
fragile appearance, an authentic jade stone tended to be quite resilient. Not necessarily scratch proof, but certainly not the sort of thing common steel could hope to mar. So I took my greatsword to it, tested it upon my blade and -”

A dramatic pause, before she shrugged in artificial regret. “In retrospect, maybe I shouldn’t have done that. Jade was only so tough and meeting my sword proved a bit much. I suppose the moral of the story is that even a dragon king ought to show restraint when it came to treasures worth keeping.”

Last edited:
1647230715468.png

Ningguang’s petite chin pointed tactfully in the direction that Beidou’s hand reached out to her, gingerly capturing a makeshift sleeve as an idle plaything. That simple gesture invited her glassy gaze away from Beidou’s eye, to the warmth radiating from her fingertips on to her skin. Ningguang examined Beidou with a narrowed vision; a fox, regarding a tiger for the first time as it encroached on her den.

“Of course not, dearest Captain Beidou.”

She tilted her head up discreetly, a perfectly pink tongue revealing itself over the smooth course of her bottom lip. Her slender arm lay flat across the small of her waist; her long nails ghosting over the marble smooth skin in rhythm with Beidou’s natural cadence. Her skin reddened where the tips of her nails traced gentle patterns, and she lazily rested around her neck as if it was most comfortable there. The smirk on Beidou’s face was reason for pause, and Ningguang had a lingering suspicion about some of the things that left Beidou’s mouth in regards to this jade treasure.

“So, you broke it? Even though it was beautiful enough to fool you.”

Their pretty words and late night chess sessions was the nori around their favorite roll, but at the end of the day, Ningguang couldn’t discern what she was eating with this one. The captain of The Crux was the only one capable of flirting with the Tianquan and walking away without - at the very least - a tongue lashing. Their deep friendship and her role as Tianquan clashed rarely, but Ningguang made small allowances for Beidou, which was where the confusion started. As Tianquan, she could (rightfully)confront her with all of the hefty fines and tickets accumulated from breaking the law, but Ningguang’s position mattered little to Beidou. She didn’t need to remind her of it, and preferred the pleasure that came with knowing her as friends.

“Suddenly, Beidou, everything about you makes sense to me. Your greatest strength is also your weakness. That is why I am going to beat you at chess tonight.” Ningguang’s blithe tone livened up with the prospect of chess and having Beidou's company all in one evening. The only thing Ningguang loved more than that shimmering mora, was victory - earned on her own terms.

“What do you say? Chess, or Liyue Millennial? I won’t kick you out…right away.”

A seat at her table was always available for Beidou to engage in a friendly game of Liyue Millennial. The original board game was created by Tianquan herself, with steadily evolving pieces and new boards for the whole family. Out of all of Ningguang’s business ventures, her board game was her favorite. Stores couldn't keep it on the shelves, so Ningguang was going to wait for the new edition to boost product. There were three limited edition pawns that she would debut in the spring; what better way to test their efficacy than on a tried and true friend.

“If you don't want to miss the fireworks, we can watch them from my balcony afterward." Ningguang swayed to the side, nodded her head discreetly in the direction of the jade chamber hovering in the sky. She resigned to calm silence, to better hear if Beidou would follow, or stay on the pier. Ningguang's small steps away from the harbor left more than enough time for Beidou to catch up if she was a little behind. Ningguang was mute for the remainder of the walk, her mind was a repetitive cycle of insignificant question. Mostly stupid concerns: picking up her laundry, the bed being made, that phoenix treasure. Beidou visited plenty of times without complaint, and each time Ningguang treated her as a guest. She could have thanked her for the simple fact that this gave her a reason to sneak away from the party early, but her gift would come sooner or later.

Ningguang shimmied free from the constricting straps and back breaking four inch heels. Plush slippers slid across a recently waxed floor, slowing to a halt in front of the cherrywood desk. Liyue Millenial had suspiciously been placed on the surface, and every starting piece in place. This meant she wouldn't need to go through the trouble of assembling chess."Thank the Archons. But, who went through all the trouble?" Ningguang sat down in the visitor's chair adjacent to her desk, plucking a shop piece from the board and holding it to her bosom. A contemplative pout found her lips, and Ningguang angled herself in the chair to facing Beidou. "How about a bet? If you win..."

beidoubannerfin.png

ʙᴇɪᴅᴏᴜ
Was Beidou surprised that Ningguang chose to say nothing about her barely concealed double entendres? Not really. If anything, that was par for the course. Oh she had no doubt Ningguang understood most if not all of what she was getting at - the Tianquan might not have possessed that licentious streak Beidou had in abundance, but anyone who might consider Ningguang dull-witted was likely dropped on the head as a baby. Repeatedly. Although she did not typically voice such compliments, preferring to banter rather than to praise, Beidou truly held Ningguang in the highest regards, particularly when it came to the woman’s mental acumen. They’d been at this long enough for her to understand that Ningguang was simply as coy as they came. She would bet a ship that it was entirely intentional too.

“Hardly my fault, I would think,” she offered a shrug and a lazy smile in response. “Beauty alone is never enough to qualify something as a treasure. And, as you said, only a true treasure catches my eye.” If she just so happened to be staring rather intently at Ningguang as she said that? Entirely a coincidence, of course.

Her smile arced even higher as Ningguang continued to talk, and she narrowed her eye in acceptance of the gauntlets thrown. “Oh, are you?” Beidou offered, placidly, her even tone designed to goad. “I’ll certainly take you up on that cute lil board game of yours anytime you want.” Her lips parted, only, instead of licking her lip as Ningguang had done, she made a show of running her tongue along her canine, as if already savoring her victory. “Out of the goodness of my heart, I'll warn you though - I have a feeling that lady luck is on my side tonight.”

dividerlong.png

“Hm, should I be flattered that your little secretaries are setting up your boards in anticipation of our games now?” Ningguang could deny it if she wanted, but Beidou knew well what a privilege it was to be invited to a game in the Jade Chamber. A privilege only she was allowed with such frequency, and it was going to remain that way. She was not beneath meddling if her crew ever reported another being granted the same, but she digressed.

“Hah!” A raucous laugh at the offer. She threw an arm back to drape around the high back of the chair, taking up far more space than necessary with her posturing in a devil-may-care display. “Thought you’d never ask - you know how I feel about gambling.” She was practically addicted to it. It wasn’t her top two vices - flirting with pretty girls and bankrolling Liyue’s liquor business held those two spots respectively, but gambling was a close third. “You are too obsessed with victory though, Ning.” A term of endearment Beidou exclusively reserved for these private occasions thus far, likely to Ningguang’s relief. “The process of victory should be enjoyed as much as victory itself. And I think that’s what we should focus on tonight.”

One of her hands drummed against the edge of the board, her nails tapping a thoughtful tempo. “You are always making up new rules; so I think it's only fair I get to make one up this time around.” A question, but not phrased as one, a not atypical fare from Beidou. She picked up her Queen, twirled it about her digits in a dexterous display. “Every time you and I lose a piece…” A lopsided grin accompanied the intentional pause. “...an article of clothing comes off.” She leaned back far enough in her chair that the legs creaked and the whole thing looked as though on the verge of tipping over, shooting Ningguang a challenge-suffused look only augmented by the cocky jut of her chin. “You are not scared now, are you?”

dividerlong.png

“Hm.” A huff, a dispassionate look at her tipped-over pawn. It didn’t surprise Beidou all that much that as soon as the dice roll proved favorable, Ningguang went on the offensive. The Tianquan was strategic, sure, but she was also ruthless at these board games. A very take-no-prisoner kind of approach, but buttressed with cold and precise calculations to make it work. That said though, that pawn was an expected casualty. She certainly wouldn’t have challenged Ningguang to a version of strip chess if she didn’t already hatch a plan - one of them happened to have a lot more removable pieces than the other, and that person wasn't Ningguang. Beidou smiled wide enough to show her pearly teeth, before reaching back and pulling her hairpin free. Locks the shade of burnt umber tumbled free, falling onto her shoulders and framing her jawline a touch more than usual. “Enjoy your spoils,” she offered with good-humor. “It will only make my comeback far sweeter.”

A comeback that didn't take long at all. Call it a gambler's intuition, but her dice rolls really were coming in quite favorably this night. Of course, Liyue Millennial wouldn't be regarded as such a high-browed intellectual game if it was just all luck. Far from, favorable dice rolls tended to mean more freedom in how a player might maneuver their pieces on a particular turn, more ability to take advantage of the 'building' pieces and so on so forth. Strategy was the ultimate deciding factor, but being blessed on the dice rolls certainly didn't hurt. Beidou made a show of knocking over one of Ningguang's bishops with her knight, her smile something voracious. "Looks like it's your turn to make your choice."

byferal.png
“Our impromptu get-togethers have been a fixation for a while now.” Ningguang’s left eye twitches, both of them apt to roll at any second with how Beidou goaded her with those ‘lil’ comments. Liyue Millennial was far from a ‘cute’ board game, and the secretaries were… - well, down right obnoxious for using the ‘sakura love’ edition when the standard existed right there in her desk. She couldn’t argue that it wasn’t cute, nor did she find it a significant enough detail to remark on it, but she was suspiciously aware of the secretaries now.

Everything makes sense now.

Baiwin would ask about Beidou - general questions about her whereabouts, probing her about when she would visit next. Ningguang vaguely recalled mentioning it to Baiwin; beyond that they never spoke about it again. A thoughtful gesture on Baiwin’s part, but a wound to the perpetual game she was playing with Beidou. “Perhaps, there is something there that merits the flattery, Beidou.“

Ningguang’s expertise in trade ships and tariffs perfected her poker face to deal with fearsome sea-aligned folk and politicians from all over Teyvat. The journey as a lawmaker and business mogul could not prepare her enough for the braggadocious pirate captain that anchored on Liyue harbor that day. Somehow, Beidou progressed to calling her ‘Ning’, and Ningguang preferred it over anything else that Beidou might call her by one day. That doesn’t cease her eyes from rolling in her head during Beidou’s proverbs, but it helped.

“Sure. Have at it, Beidou. You can have the power just this once.” Not that Ningguang had any say in the matter. The brazen pirate captain, with her one eye and cocky grin was masterful at slithering underneath Ningguang’s skin; subsequently getting her way from the Tianquan whenever she pleased.

She didn’t take things personally, least of all from Beidou. Was she going to call her a sore loser for past losses? Ningguang ogled Beidou’s fingers with partially parted lips, pressed her mouth shut with her index and thumb supporting her chin. Simply the idea that Beidou taunted her about being scared tinged her cheeks lychee red. No doubt, an effort on Beidou’s part to stoke the flames of war.

You are the one that should be scared.” Beidou would be a worthy opponent; one Ningguang would happily relinquish her orchid gown to - if it meant bringing her down to her knees in the process. She would shed the gown and coil up with Beidou underneath the fireworks if she’d wanted, but that wasn’t a part of the bet. Beidou wanted to see who would end up with the least amount of clothing first, and it would be Ningguang.

Safe to say that a new game like Liyue Millennial would not have many masters, but Beidou’s skills improved with each game. Ningguang had to keep her around for the single reason that they were near equal at strategic board games. They were kindred spirits, testing their strengths on one another. Neither had succumbed to their weaknesses, but she knew it would be Beidodu first. But if Beidodu was going to get good, and then exploit Ningguang… she was down for the count.

“I have an iron fist around your game.” Ningguang’s polished canine sank into her bottom lip, pulsing gently in subdued anticipation. “I love my spoils.” Her head swelled with premature hubris, and Ningguang’s delight manifested in a girlish snicker. Her celebration was short lived, she wasn’t going to rub it into Beidou’s face forever.

“I am waiting.”

Ningguang entwined her fingers through her ashen tresses, flicking the length of it over her shoulder. A coquettish smile played along her supple lips. Ningguang silently observed Beidou’s next move.
What? If her mouth didn’t say it, her eyes would. An invisible knot slid down her throat upon seeing her last bishop rolling on its base toward the edge of the board. A frigid chill breezed through the room from the open balcony window, heart beat quickening in her ribcage.

“An easy choice.” Ningguang rose from the chair with the grace of a swan. Her long lashes fluttered dramatically, and her hand hovered over the silk wristlet covering her hand. Her tongue rolled along the inside of her cheek, hands traced the fragile straps supporting the easily tearable dress. She traced the diamond shape around the golden brooch, then expressed surprising flexibility by reaching behind her back. Click. The modified mandarin collar loosened around her neck, sleeves fell slack around her shoulders.

The dress sank into itself at her feet into a mist of blue, and Ningguang calmly stepped out of the silk pool. A tube garment accentuated the round of her breasts, but protected her nipples from being more than an impression on the fabric. The hem stretched just to her inner thighs; left most of her soft derriere exposed. Thankfully, Her long hair blended over her creamy skin seamlessly and was a veil in itself.

Ningguang turned her head, peering at Beidou from her peripheral, though otherwise unaffected by her gaze. She scooped the dress up and folded it over her arm - she wasn’t foolish enough to leave silk from Inazuma lying on the floor. She stood up erect, and a whistle pierced the tension in the room. A resounding boom seconds after and the glitter of ruby toned tights illuminated the sky around the jade chamber. Ningguang drank in the sight of the jewel toned sky, and lowered herself back into a seated position.

“So… My turn?” She captured the dice in her small hands and shook them once - twice. They stumbled across the game board and halted after a few spins. “Lucky number 8.” Ningguang toyed with her pawn piece and surveyed Beidou’s pieces. “Okay.” Her pawn moved diagonally one space; capturing the knight. “Perfect. Now, I’m going to use Tea Master Liu Siu to buff this Pawn, meaning if you don’t capture it next time it can move in any direction - capture any pieces.”

Last edited:

beidoubannerfin.png

ʙᴇɪᴅᴏᴜ
Ever seen a tiger stalking prey through the tall grass?

The flared nostrils, scenting the air as it approached, one silent step after another. The upright and alert ears, forward-facing, pointed with intent. Those lithe muscles, coiled and at the ready, spine flexed with eager anticipation. Tail low, still, as even the instinct to swish gave way to intense focus. Everything and anything yielding to the absolute concentration in that lambent gaze, rounded and keen and raring for the pounce.

That was how Beidou looked - stared, rather - at Ningguang as she rose. The Captain of the Crux was never one to disguise her intentions, brash and straight-forward to a fault, some might say. That eye more vibrant than jasper and more nuanced than ruby flicked from Ningguang’s lashes down to her hand, trained upon it with candid anticipation. The feign at the jewelry failed to deceive; Ningguang wouldn’t have risen if she wasn’t planning something.

Beidou licked her lips entirely subconsciously as those elegant digits slid over tantalizing straps, straps that she could have easily serrated with her teeth if she wanted to, or rather, was given the opportunity to. Followed the winding path to that citrine gem, the exact same shade as Ningguang’s Vision, on purpose, doubtlessly. Oh she knew what the Tianquan was doing alright, or she thought she did. It was just like the woman to tease like that, to bait Beidou into thinking that she was about to get something she wouldn’t and-

A hint of confusion entered her engrossed scrutiny when that hand disappeared behind the graceful column of throat, struggling to keep up for a second. A second that stretched into incomprehension. The dress fell, and her jaw dropped. She actually-

Now, nobody worth their salt would actually think of the notorious pirate lord as empty-headed. Willful in applying her intellect, perhaps, but those who underestimated Beidou’s capable psyche also tended to end up dead more often than not. Right now though, it was like her mind simply screeched to a halt, and she wore a look so dumbstruck that it was doubtful anyone else in Liyue had ever witnessed such an expression upon Beidou.

It wasn’t even just that this was the closest she had ever gotten to seeing Ningguang in a state of undress - it was that too, of course, and her stunned silence was a more genuine praise than any words could hope to convey. The casual way it happened was what truly caught Beidou off guard. Truthfully, she didn’t even know where to look, and her gaze reflected her indecision as it raked heated trails here and there and everywhere. And when Ningguang bent to retrieve the doubtlessly pricey silk? By the Seven, Beidou did not know it was possible to be dizzy from the lack of blood flow to her brain.

The silence stretched until suddenly, it was pierced by the unmistakable whistle of fireworks ascending the night sky. Beidou was drowning so deeply in the unfairly alluring woman in front of her that she completely failed to anticipate the same. That chair, already off-balance, creaked in warning as she almost lurched herself backwards in surprise. And truly, had she been any younger, any less capable, then the Tianquan might have actually had the pleasure of witnessing the Captain of the Crux literally falling out of her chair.

As it were, it was a close save as Beidou scrabbled for purchase, a hand snapping like viper around the edge of the table, pulling herself and that chair upright in the nick of time. She cleared her throat even as Ningguang rejoined her at the table. Nothing was said, but that Beidou was suddenly sitting much more demurely with her legs crossed and her eye pointedly glued to the chess board was admission enough. Ningguang was talking, but Beidou wasn’t hearing much beyond the roar of blood pounding at her eardrums. Her friend slash rival slash potential-romantic-interest really outplayed her this time, and not at chess.

“Um,” Beidou was on the verge of reaching for the dice before she remembered her impromptu rules, her mind playing and replaying that scene of Ningguang bending to retrieve her dress like a broken record. Almost absentmindedly, she reached up to undo the clasps at her throat, not to tempt, but simply because it felt much too tight as she swallowed. Remembering the rules, she reached behind her waist and unclasped the flask that never left her side. Threw it back until hard liquor poured down her throat and streaked past her chin, leaving an enticingly glistening trail down her exposed throat. Nearly draining the whole thing, such was her thirst, before all but slamming it onto the table as her tribute.

She rolled her dice, then kind of just…stared at it. 16. Another high-roll. Surely there were quite a few good options for her to take here. That is, if she could focus long enough to stop sneaking glances over at Ningguang, at the way the explosion of fireworks caused light to highlight inch after inch of deliciously exposed skin. It was incredibly juvenile, the way she was behaving. If she were right of mind, Beidou might have well been aghast with herself, or laughed hysterically, whichever. This was certainly not her first rodeo, and having a nude or near nude girl draped across her arm, lifting a porcelain cup to her lips was par for the course for how she spent her time on land. But this wasn’t just anyone. This was Ningguang, and Beidou was just about to lose her goddamn mind over what the hell just happened.

“Rook to Harbor, Blessing of the Sea.” She muttered. A defensive move. Strategically sound to defend against the soon-to-be-empowered Pawn. There was nothing to criticize of her decision but for the fact that she could have chosen better. Could have planned a few steps ahead to threaten Ningguang’s King should she have gotten too aggressive with that Pawn. But it was Beidou that found herself on the defensive again now, in chess and otherwise, doing quite a bit of mental backpedaling as she tried her utmost to portray that same poise Ningguang had in spades. Shit, she really needed to focus. Whether or not there was something at stake, Beidou was never one to roll over in the face of a challenge. She was not going to lose at chess after already losing face, goddammit.​

1647669434438.png

Ningguang softly tapped along the latitude of her prominent collarbone, mirroring the rhythm that Beidou thrummed on the table just an hour before her. That aimless melody stuck out in her mind and she recreated it as a slower rhythm. She was…complacent with the lack of tact that Beidou displayed during her exposé, if not overwhelmed by the silence during her undressing. A new side to Beidou was revealed, one she wanted to experience right away.

Um? Hello? Her conscience imitated in that uncertain tone, and her brows lifted in obvious perplexity at the once vivacious woman. This was a small victory for Ningguang, one she would leverage over Beidou’s head in the coming weeks to follow after their ‘lil’ game. She thought back to another instance when Beidou had become so affected by her actions, but her mind blanked out on any stand-out moments in the past. Not a single time existed where Beidou failed to deliver a great one-liner or proverb in response to some small comment Ningguang made. This was an event in itself, and Ningguang was awestruck, if not humored. Their affable game had reached a new peak, their relationship…er, friendship? Better than ever.

Her orchid gown was destined to fall one way or another; what better way than under the gaze of the slayer of Haishan - her single favorite person in Liyue? Whether it was to be determined in one or two more moves next, Beidou was reaping the fruits of her labor. Ningguang simply wasn’t wearing enough clothing to stand a real chance in strip chess, and she wanted to witness Beidou’s squirming in her hands as a result.

Her best bet as she saw it was to dismantle the audacious pirate captain’s defenses unabated; finish her when she was too distracted to care about victory. She would taunt and tantalize Beidou with her earthly gifts for as long as that red eye traced her bodylines. For as long as Beidou kept her watchful eye on Ningguang, then Ningguang had a reason to perform for her. A reason to win.

She was rearing to use her Pawn offensively, but it was no longer her turn and Beidou had a chance to defend herself from her empowered playing piece. Ningguang extended her legs under the table, brushed the tip of Beidou’s shoes with her feathery light slippers. Being in close proximity with Beidou, with only her under-garment and curtain of hair to shield her was risqué. Ningguang never undressed in front of another soul without purpose; a board game being the least purposeful thing of all.

Was this even a game anymore?

The question rolled through her mind like a single lily pad sitting on a lakes surface, and the dice flipped on its corners before settling on … 16!? Ningguang’s eyes opened like a doe, and upon counting the eight black spots on the pair of dice she wanted to scream. Her lips pressed softly shut, Ningguuang’s fingers curled into a stern fist, then flexed to contour around the curve of her shoulder. Lucky?! The descent onto the hardwood would have been a humbling experience for Beidou, one she would pay mora to see.

“My… Beidou. Lady Luck certainly favors you tonight.” Ningguang crossed the invisible boundaries on Beidodu’s side of the table, wrapped her manicured little fingers around the flask she’d abandoned between them. When she unscrewed the bottle cap, the fragrant remnants of fermented rice seeped into her nostrils. It smelled like sea salt and sunshine, too.

“You don’t mind?” Her lush lips found the bottle and she guzzled what was left at the bottom. The slightly chilled liquid warmed her core like hot coals on a snowy day. She paid for Beidou’s contribution with a smirk, then pulled her shoulders taut to the back of the chair. Of course, if she really wanted a drink they could make one after this. There was always alcohol in the Jade Chamber.

It was when Ningguang gathered the dice into her hands ready to throw, that Ningguang envisioned Beidou narrowly falling backwards in her chair. She vibrated with unspilled laughter, clasped her palms over the dice in an attempt to contain them. Ningguang threw the dice from her hands with the strength of a ninja, one cube rolled into the corner and the other… She didn’t see it where it landed. One of the rules in the official Liyue Millennial book was that if the player loses the dice, they forfeit their roll. A stupid rule, in retrospect; one that would need to be changed.

Ningguang was well aware of that fact when she stood up from the table; consequently pinching the gauze garment to stay over the plush slopes during her long strides across the room.

“Unlucky.” Ningguang muttered the remark, wandered over to the corner where she estimated the trajectory of her throw. She begrudgingly plucked the dice off the floor, brought them back to the playing field with annoyance weaved into her thinly arched brows. As her skin touched the cold wood, her back arched in a perfect display of posture. A contemplative hum trilled in her throat, reminiscent of a cat purring over its kill. Ningguang felt her nose wrinkle when her fingertips touched that sweet, sweet, Pawn.

She only justt missed looking into Beidou’s eye, a guilty distraction. Ningguang steadied her rapidly beating heart with an inaudible exhale through barely parted lips. “Pawn to Harbor.” Ningguang’s prized Queen was on the Rook’s path, and she wanted to eliminate it before it could act again. “Hello.” She mouthed the word, ample chest slanted toward the game board. The Pawn captured the Rook thanks to the assistance of the Tea Master, a powerful buff that can only be applied with the number eight.

“Surrender your coat, Beidou. I’ve worked you into a hole here…” Ningguang puffed up with pride from her play, and now she wanted to make things square - on and on off the playing field.

Last edited:

beidoubannerfin.png

ʙᴇɪᴅᴏᴜ
Breathe in. Breathe out. Focus.

Focus wasn’t a word Beidou much cared for, by and large. She was a wild spirit, as swift as the Alcor at full mast and as free as the ocean breeze. In all of her verbal spars with Ningguang, she had never been the one that clung to poise and nonchalance - in that arena, the Tianquan doubtlessly reigned sovereign. What Beidou was good at, amazing at, if she did say so herself, was her ability to always come back swinging. Deflect, reflect, whichever. She knew when to parry and when to glissade, when to lunge and jab and go for the throat.

Distracted or not, Beidou was one of the only - and in her opinion, the singular - person in Liyue capable of matching Ningguang when the Tianquan brought her full wits to bear. It helped that she never underestimated Ningguang. Not many tended to, nowadays, after the ruthless businesswoman practically completed a stranglehold over Liyue’s economy. But that certainly wasn’t the case when Ningguang first started out, when the various heads of the merchants’ guild were too busy staring at her ass or being mesmerized by her smile to pay attention to the terms she proposed.

And yes, Beidou kept tabs on these things. Neither politics nor trade was something she was particularly fond of, but Liyue was important to her, its people something she had sworn to defend. So yes, she knew exactly what game Ningguang was playing here, and yet, despite having full knowledge of the same, she still found herself flustered. In her defense, it was one thing to match the Tianquan blow for blow when it came to her sharply-flashing intellect, but another entirely to navigate around the hidden eddies of her allure. However, Beidou wouldn’t be where she was today if she were quick to yield in the face of a challenge. One must never forget just how many times she had challenged Haishan and failed until she emerged victorious. And so, she steeled her jaw, firmed her resolve, wiped that laughably awestruck look off of her face and curled her lips into something appropriately self-satisfied.

“I told you, Ning,” her eye raked down the graceful column of throat, across the clavicles standing in high relief, and back up to meet that equally vibrant gaze with a look of undisguised hunger. “Fortune favors the bold - although, it’s not Fortune’s favor that I’m keen on tonight.” She leaned to the side, propped an arm up on the armrest and rested her jaw against her index, studying Ningguang even as the woman plundered her drink. “Be my guest.” She offered, though she doubted that Ningguang much cared if she had Beidou’s permission or not.

“I’m surprised that you could appreciate Stormwine though. Always figured you would be the type to like softer, more delicate drinks, with your abhorrent taste in culinary cuisines and all.” Her smile widened enough to show teeth, and she added with a meaningful lift to her brow. “Don’t tell me that you have gotten bored with…” a pause, tapping on her chin as she tried to recall Ningguang’s exact words during that one ‘argument’ of theirs. “Precise, pure, smart, and sophisticated, wasn’t it?” Beidou laughed, a hearty sound that reverberated in her chest. “If you wanted something with a little more bite to it, you could have just asked to drink directly from the source than pillaging my wine, Ningguang.” The implication was obvious, but she was not about to spell it out. No, unlike the Tianquan, the Captain liked to be forthcoming about her wishes and wants, but wreathed in just enough finesse not to be likened to common vulgarity.

That was not to say that her thoughts did not take a vulgar turn when Ningguang set about retrieving her dice. Unlucky. Yeah right. She was onto this game Ningguang was playing. Although being alerted to the same unfortunately did not make her any less susceptible - as it were, she was quickly running out of non-obscene swear words to use when Ningguang insisted upon arching her back at every which turn, strategically dispersing faux-unintentional seduction until chess was the last thing on Beidou’s mind.

That was just the thing though. Competitive as she was, the Captain was also incredibly adaptable. While she might have been a teeny bit slow on the uptake this time around, she most certainly picked up on the game they were playing now. And it wasn’t chess, not anymore. Unlike before, she no longer had any intention upon winning Liyue Millennial. No, Beidou never played by the rules, and she certainly wasn’t about to let Ningguang lead her around a few more steps like a common load-bearing ox.

“You sure you don’t want one of my gloves?” She laughed, reminding her opponent that she herself had quite a few more pieces to spare. But before Ningguang would have time to pout or otherwise, she was already pushing up and out of her chair. Beidou was a lot of things, but she most certainly wasn’t shy. If her darling Tianquan wanted to see her Captain without that signature red overcoat, who was she to deny Ningguang the same?

Although, Ningguang might be disappointed to realize that despite the consistent hue throughout, Beidou’s outfit consisted of quite a few different pieces. That jacket, for example, was not in fact connected to the top bit with the modified mandarin collar, which was in turn not connected to the sweeping fabric that poured down between her legs. The form-fitting black she wore was entirely independent as well. But this wasn’t about what Ningguang was or was not entitled to for knocking out her Rook, this was about evening the playing field in this ‘lil’ game of theirs, and Beidou was ever one to go big or go home.

The jacket slid off her back as she rounded the table, snagging at her elbows for now. She didn’t remove it though, and as such, it did not count toward the one piece she was supposed to shed. She stopped to the side of Ningguang’s chair, smirking cockily still as she peered down at the seated Tianquan. There wasn’t even a gratuitous pause as her fingers plucked open the additional clasp on the front, hidden beneath the inseams, before peeling the silk aside until it draped down her arms the same as her jacket. Unlike Ningguang, Beidou was far more powerfully built, all that time spent hefting her claymore around self-evident in the pronounced musculature of her shoulders and upper arms. Lean, too, streamlined like a beast of prey with definition in spades. Scars, as well, if Ningguang looked closely. Streaks of off-white interrupted the smoothness of her skin in no discernable pattern, faded souvenirs from her many adventures. And yet, all of that ruggedness only seemed to enhance her appeal, augmenting her abundant femininity with a touch of something dangerous.

“Alas, I’m afraid I’m rather fond of this coat.” She remarked, leaning down, a hand bracing into the back of Ningguang’s chair. Her fingers did not touch even a single moonkissed hair, but her presence was another thing entirely as she amply invaded Ningguang’s personal bubble. Occupied her gaze. Took control of her space. Filled the air with the scent of strong liquor and that unique blend of sea she always carried. “So,” she purred the word, tracing the fingers of her free hand down her own front, briefly disrupting the black to deepen the valley of her breasts, before sliding down onto the golden buckle of that belt resting just beneath her bust. “What else can I offer you instead?” A pause now, her hair falling down her shoulders and arms like curtains, brushing against Ningguang’s skin like night chasing after day. “This belt? The rest of my qipao?” Smugness dripped from every word, exercising a far more deliberate sort of seduction than the coyness the Tianquan favored. The ‘lil’ fox wanted to play, but she best not forget just what she was playing with.

Feeling like she had made her point, Beidou eased up on her tone, offering a way out, as her good-nature dictated. “Or we can forget about this chess game. You did promise me fireworks, and it’s not too late to catch the grand finale. I’ll even let you wear my jacket if you are cold.” She wanted Ning, yes, was more than happy to fight fire with fire if it came to that, but she was also respectful. That said, she was not one of those obsequious fools that danced when the Tianquan pulled the strings. If Ningguang needed another reminder of that fact, Beidou would always rise to the occasion.​

1647669434438.png

If Beidou wasn’t in the mood to remove her coat, then Ningguang would assuredly have a pout on her lips. She was far from vexed by Beidou’s commentary or perceived lack of cooperation, but she had a word or two to share. It was as she was lifting her tongue, mid-speech that Beidou rose to her full height.

Ningguang resembled an insouciant feline to the imposing figure, but underneath her cool exterior, her heart beat louder with each step Beidou made ‘round the table. Ningguang’s long lashes fluttered like the wings on a butterfly; lotus pink tinged her porcelain cheeks when that ruby eye peered into her own. A feverish haze clouded all rationale, Ningguang snaking upwards to face the pirate captain.

Oh. She’s going to- She gripped a handful of cherry wood, nails delicately raking along the surface of the armrests in anticipation of those gloved fingers unraveling the golden clasp. Sevens… Yes! A serrated exhale spilled from her faded-peach painted lips, golden peach fuzz stiffening on end as if electrified by the invading presence in her tight bubble. Her eyebrows rose in a slow arc to the rhythm of that silk gliding over the lightly lacerated skin. She kept her hands glued to the chair, all the while her tongue traced along her bottom lip. Ningguang indulged in the musculature of her arms, and pulvinate curves that she craved to touch with her mouth.

A glint of purple sparkles in her eyes following a smaller boom, covering them in a lavender glow and snapping her from that trance like state. She willfully sank back into that blissful mentality once settling back on Beidou, and her attention was all Beidou’s in that moment. Those inky black tresses poured down from the heavens with feathery brush strokes on her arm, soft skin pebbling in a never ending tidal wave. Ningguang fidgeted, sank down into her seat shamelessly to avoid flustering her senses even more.

A dry patch formed in her throat during her silence, and her balmy lips puckered while weighing her dilemma. Ningguang cast a sidelong glance out the window, contemplative of her next move. She was tuned in to Beidou’s words, doubtful that she would make the right choice if she went with her own whims every time. A sliver of a smile appeared, when she envisioned giving in - telling Beidou what to remove next, but she fought the little oni perched on her left shoulder.

That vision ended in a blink of an eye, Ningguang squeezing her inner thighs into a tight seam underneath the table. She was brought down to earth, though that intimidating gaze still lingered over her seated figure. Ningguang turned her head with the grace of a swan, a frown tugging at the corner of her lips as she brought her index knuckle up to her mouth.

“...I am a woman of my word. If I promised you a fireworks show then I should fulfill that before those fair winds call to you.” Ningguang traded a glance with Beidou, dipping her head underneath the chiseled arm enclosing her into the chair. She admired the definition; the subtle bulge of well-worked deltoids in passing. Her chest rose and fell rapidly like she had just climbed the highest mountain in Qingce village; escaped from the jaws of a tiger.

A step and a half away from Beidou was all Ningguang needed to breathe again, to clear the air. Ningguang braced on what felt like unsteady ground, her own equilibrium being thrown off as if pelted in the heart with an arrow. She avoided making a spectacle of it, departing the table in favor of the partition that only needed to be fully slid out of the way. Things tended to get sticky when they were so close that Ningguang could feel the heat rising from Beidou’s lips, witness the hunger in that eye that she suppressed. There was no denying their connection - no discussing it either.

She paused in front of those sheer curtains billowing over the balcony. They were hand embroidered with golden thread, seductive sky serpents and birds with sweeping tail feathers painted onto jade satin. The curtain was swept aside, only so that the whole of the sky was exposed for their viewing pleasure. She couldn’t remember the last time she looked over Liyue Harbor to simply enjoy the panorama of Liyue, not to potentially find wrongdoers and sea serpents off the coast. The palace was constructed for that purpose, but it was also her home. The safest place to take Beidou without any wandering eyes, or loose tongues to fill the markets with gossip. Their verbal spars often took place in public, but behind closed doors their friendship felt stable. The pressure as Tianquan would always be at the back of her mind, but she felt that the least when Beidou was at her side in the sky. Her easy-going, devil may care attitude made it a breeze to get along with her, though they were total opposites. Of course, Ningguang preferred everyone to think that she only tolerated Beidou, but that was far from the truth. She doubted Beidou was even aware of how she truly felt, but her emotions were a deep well that she was paddling along in.

After tonight’s game, It felt like she was drowning, like Beidou gained the upper hand. Not that it mattered, but she relinquished her power, caved when Beidou stood on top. She bristled at the memory, though that pressure reminiscent of a dam bursting was creeping up her spine again. Ningguang folded her arms underneath her chest, clenched her jaw at the turn her thoughts veered in whenever she looked at Beidou. Why did Beidou always have to do that? Desperate to curtail her pervasive thoughts, but being unwilling to part with those memories was her biggest conflict.

Brushing her slim fingers through the densely packed strands of moonlight, Ningguang hugged it close to her breast; stroking it like a pet serpent. “I believe you chose the ideal destination to spend your evening, Beidou.”
“I’d like to revisit Liyue Millennial with you another time, because I don’t believe you played fair with me.
Her eyes changed focus from the starry night to the woman whose shoulder would brush hers if they dared, too. “But, let’s wait a few weeks. I’m beginning to understand that you are far stronger than you appear, and a rest period is necessary.”

Last edited:

beidoubannerfin.png

ʙᴇɪᴅᴏᴜ
Ningguang accepting her offer of fireworks was expected. If anything, Beidou would have been surprised if the Tianquan actually took her up on her offer to strip further. Not that she wouldn’t have complied with the same - would have certainly done so with the same gusto and charisma she demonstrated in just about anything else. But no, she expected that from those wide-eyed little hares she liked to warm her bed with. Ningguang had, intentionally or unintentionally a matter of debate, posited herself as a challenge in this game of theirs, and Beidou always welcomed a challenge.

As such, she willingly relinquished her prey, offering nothing in response except her lopsided grin that only curved a few degrees higher. Ningguang might have caught her off guard at first, but this was Beidou’s win as far as she was concerned. Unlike the Tianquan though, she was content not rubbing it in as she simply trailed a few steps behind the near-fleeing woman, pursuing at a leisurely pace that spoke to her good mood.

And hey, she certainly had no complaints about the view. Beidou was tempted to say that she had a thing for Ningguang’s backside, savoring everything from the seductive dip of her spine to the graceful contours of her shoulder blades. Her eye trailed lower than that too, of course. Who in Liyue could truly say that they haven’t allowed their eyes to linger a few seconds too long on Ningguang’s posterior or those legs that stretched for miles and miles even without the assistance of heels?

Truthfully, Beidou herself had entertained - was currently entertaining - quite a few of those entirely inappropriate thoughts. Like just how easy it would be for her to rush a few steps forward, her longer strides being well-suited for bridging the difference. Like how equally easy it would be for her to pin Ningguang against the nearest flat surface, to really give her a reason to be licking her lips like that before mounting her akin to what those sky serpents prominently featured upon the curtains might do with those pretty songbirds. Whimsical daydreams aside, she most certainly wasn’t about to actually carry out any of those behaviors though, and not just because of her ample respect for Ningguang. Beidou was exceptional at reading the room, part of the reason why she was able to put together such a diverse crew in the first place. Oh she intended upon chasing Ningguang, that was for sure, but she was also content letting Ning take things at her own pace. Patience was not a quality she had in great abundance, but for such an exception treasure, she would certainly demonstrate the same.

Not that Ningguang would be privy to those thoughts though. Beidou enjoyed putting Ningguang through her paces far too much to relent. And, like any predator, now that she had scented blood, her keenness only increased tenfold. She was most definitely not done with tonight’s games yet.

“Destination? Or company?” She quibbed in response even as she stepped closer. Closer. Close enough that Ningguang might even feel her body heat against the bare of her back.

“I never play fair, I thought you would know that by now.” Laughter colored her tone, and her hands rose to press against either side of that slender waist before herself, just above the curvature of hips. She didn’t pull Ningguang any closer, a lax hold at most, one that the Tianquan could easily shake off if she was so inclined. Her hands were warm, calloused from dueling and sailing and…well, just about everything she got up to, really. The fabric of her gloves lent additional contrast between the heat of her fingers and the cool of the silk. She leaned closer, her breath washing over Ningguang’s ear. “Is that what you like, Ning? Strength? Her fingers flexed, as if to illustrate her point. “I could be as strong as you want me to be, and we could rest as long as you desire in between.” A small laugh, before she quickly added. “I’m talking about chess, of course.” She wasn’t, and it was obvious, as Beidou always was, but that didn’t mean she didn’t relish such blatant flirtation all the same.

Ningguang could well kick her out now, but alas, the woman had promised her till the end of the fireworks, and judging by the aerial display, the best was yet to come.​

Last edited:
ningguangbannerfinaljade.png
The modified hanfu constructed from flimsy fabric wilted at Beidou's calloused and searing fingertips. Those simmering waves of body heat enticed her senses, sending the butterflies in her stomach flying. Strength. Yes. But a delicate touch like the one Beidou possessed was more important in the ways of turning the key into her lock. Her slippered feet grounded and held her dainty figure up, lightheadedness sending her world spiraling while those words slipped in, and out of her ears like music. She'd peeled her qipao off of her own free will, dangled her hips in front of Beidou's good eye, and this was the result of her actions.

She ventured into the winding jungle, knowing it was the tiger's domain.

Ningguang's proverbial tail curled and coiled around her waist protectively, ears twitched perceptively. She was - just this once - willing to walk into the den of the tiger. She wrenched herself free from the tiger's paws once before, but now it stalked her, flashing its ivory fangs over her all-too revealing ensemble.

Ningguang was backed into a tight space, on one hand she wanted to lean into Beidou's arms, take her by the other hand and lead her to explore the unseen. Though she longed to get tangled up underneath the lantern light, the risk of being little more than a conquest for Beidou was one that fogged up her mind. She was balancing on a fine pointed dagger, securing precious air into her lungs as if on the last of it. Her toes curled inside the slippers, an incendiary touch sparked a flame inside her body that she struggled with internally.
"Yes. Of course." A quavering exhale through her partly agape lips. The edge of her mouth curved up, a glint of knowing and mischief behind her -otherwise innocent- smile. Beidou's finesse with words often left Ningguang lying in a pool of confusion, but she never sank deep enough to drown. No. Never that.

Peering up into that jasper eye, it was as if their little rouse was coming to a head, and that it would rupture with another word from either of their pretty lips. She rested her cool hand over Beidou's, the contrast of hard and soft evident in the way her gentle hands grazed the rough skin. Ningguang savored that warmth, tilting her chin up another level to witness the grand finale.

That final succession of chest-rattling booms and mosaic glittering over their crowns was the highlight of her night. The silence in the sky signaled the end to their meeting, and it was painful, but necessary to sweep Beidou out her door with her usual nonchalance. The visual of Beidou's lush, but firm physique was burned into her mind forever. She hugged her pillow tight that night, thinking extra long and hard about what all had transpired.

There was a particular visual that persisted in her psyche long after the fact. Two weeks to be exact, starting from the day that the mast of the Crux disappeared into the morning mist. She was watching from her sky palace as Beidou and her crew set sail over the tranquil tides. She added onto her mental list of reasons to not get attached to the derelicts bound to the sea, though that was her hurt feelings speaking for her.

It only took a few days for the salt to run off, and life for Ningguang flowed like a steady current ever since. Would she spare a moment and daydream about Beidou? Yes. But she was business as usual, and her schedule was booked with endorsements and business ventures, everything else was inconsequential. Mora was Ningguang's priority, and it was her ruthless attitude when dealing in business, and her iron fist as Tianqua, that made her appeal to the masses who grew to adore her. Her reputation reached the seven nations of Tevyat and made her somewhat of an international figure. Her mailbox was flooded with an influx of love letters and business propositions from all over the seven nations- apparently her appearance in the Orchid gown won over a handful of new hearts.

One specifically was a chiseled diplomat hailing from Snezhyana, a man by the name of Anatoly, but he was perfectly content with Ningguang calling him ' Ana'.. He anchored on Liyue harbor with his massive ship three days prior; an entourage of rough-necked sailors traveling with him took up residence in the Wangshu inn. From a perspective of attraction, if she was being honest, his frosty blue eyes and overgrown muscles failed to ignite that feeling that she craved, but he was decent company.

A certain someone was destined to return Liyue soon, and Ningguang was privy to this information. She bided her time with her new 'friend' at the Third Round Knockout, mingling over drinks and chess. He was keen on talking business with Ningguang, with aspirations to expand his entrepreneurial pursuits to Liyue, and she was listening with that feline indifference. He owned a gourmet dessert empire and a luxury hotel, both locales that would benefit the city, but he was awful at chess. She'd lost count of how many times she'd beaten him, and she contemplated calling it quits to help him save face. After all, he had boasted to Ningguang about his skills and prowess on the game board, but he was all talk like the rest of them.

Last edited:

beidoubannerfin.png

ʙᴇɪᴅᴏᴜ
“Captain, the fireworks really were something last night, huh.”

Juza, her Chief Mate, had asked her a day later, arms crossed in his usual fashion even as her crew set out un-mooring the Alcor. To which, Beidou only gave a non-committal answer, humming and hawing as everyone on board shared their favorite things about the Lantern Festival. Because despite having had the best view in all of Liyue Harbor, she had no bloody clue whether those brilliant explosions were beautiful or not, having spent that entire time admiring a different beauty instead.

The way Ningguang had looked basked in those radiant lights was not something she would soon forget. She fixated upon those shimmering strands of silver, admiring the way they all too readily adopted the vivid hues of each whirl, spiral, and shatter. At their altitude, the pyrotechnics were closer, louder. A near constant melody of pops and whizzes and crackles. Noises that boomed and yet, Beidou had no trouble tuning out in favor of admiring that lissome neck peeking out where the hair parted. Her eye traced over the slope of shoulder, down to study the fingers overlaid on top of her own. She inhaled subtly, filling her lungs with Ningguang’s fragrance, that distinct herbal top-note imparted by those elegant pipes Ning favored. It was a clean scent, the sort of thing that should have been calming to the senses, and yet, had the exact opposite effect on her.

Like anything else about Ningguang, the longer Beidou preoccupied herself with the same, the more she wanted to temper with it. Wanted to breathe deep, to let it wash fully over all of her senses, before overpowering it with her own. Wanted to lean in, brush her lips against those scintillating strands, and find out for herself if they were truly as soft as they looked. Down, over that pale neck more alluring than white jade, and test for the similarities and differences to the same. Forward, to sweep that slender waist more fully into her grasp, to press Ningguang into the railing of her balcony and entreat her with heat and pressure both. And into. Gods. Despite being a maestro at all forms of amorous advances, she could not say that dancing this coquettish dance with Ningguang did not affect her. A difficulty to be expected perhaps, given just how difficult the woman herself was. Beidou, in the same way she conducted all her affairs, made that difficulty look easy. On the surface, at least. But that she strained against her form-fitting black silk from all the depraved directions her thoughts wandered was certainly trying.

She said nothing of it though, falling into an easy silence. Engulfed by her own thoughts. Good thing that she had quite the sea legs, or drowning might have well been a possibility. She was a gambler. A good one. And instinctually, she knew that she ought to wager that before Ningguang might wear her down to the last of her patience, she would first have the woman surrender. And so, self-restraint. If only the rest of her got that memo though.

dividerlong.png

Two weeks at sea passed in a flash. Sailing. Playing dice to stave off boredom. Exercising when dice got boring. Practicing with her weapon until her skin glistened attractively. Flexing for her admirers, with a roguish smile thrown in, but of course. Unloading cargo. Reloading cargo. Flirting with Furong over arm-wrestling. Laughing heartily as the girl sputtered and turned red. Checking in with the navigator. Checking out the navigator. She had a mixed crew, and yet, all the girls were cute. Definitely just a coincidence though. And either way, none of them could hold a candle to the Tianquan of Liyue Harbor. Sailing. Sailing. Losing her patience against headwind. Sailing…missing Ningguang. Sailing...

So imagine her surprise, when Beidou finally made landfall once more, when she frequented her favorite tavern (that she practically had an ownership stake in now from how much Mora she poured into it) and spied the woman occupying her thoughts seated across some guy she didn’t recognize and didn’t care to get to know. Making conversation. Smiling that coy smile of hers. Mingling???

And was that a fucking chess board laid out on the table?

Off behind the bar, Degui muttered a silent prayer to his tables and chairs, having spied the oncoming storm in the shape of a woman as soon as she entered the building. He said nothing though, knowing his long-time friend far too well to know that his words would hold no meaning. Besides, he could tell just from looking at Beidou that the woman probably wasn’t actually hearing anything, the intense fixation in that glare something sea monsters probably told their little ones to get them to sleep beneath the waves.

It was a small miracle that her temper hasn’t caused her Vision to crackle yet as she marched straight up to Ningguang’s table. That blazing red eye, for once in her life, wasn’t glued to the Tianquan’s various assets though. No, she was glowering bloody murder at the blue-eyed male, straying only long enough to survey the state of the chess game. Even a quick glance was enough to make her groan internally. This was the sort of company Ningguang kept in her absence? How absolutely abhorrent.

Before the foreigner could make his next move, Beidou placed a hand upon the table. Braced her weight against the same and leaned aggressively into his space. Her other hand did not remain idle either. With a flick of those well-trimmed nails, she upended his King. The unfortunate piece rolled onto its side, spinning upon the crowned rim as though a rooster with its head cut off.

"You already lost." Her voice was cool, like a single ripple upon the tranquil waves, but laced with a tension that hinted at the danger below. "Move your Knight, and you can stall her for seven more moves. Your Bishop, and five more. Anything else, she checkmates you in three." Disdain strained the smooth contra-alto of her voice, something she did not conceal whatsoever. Pause. A twitch in the muscle of her jaw. "Since you are clearly incapable of keeping up, how about you vacate your seat for someone who could?" A question that really was not a question, made obvious by the way her fingers tightened against the grain of the table. This would hardly be her first bar fight if push came to shove. And hey, last time she fought in this particular tavern, she met Ningguang as a result, who knows what might happen this time around?

Last edited:
ning2r.png

Ningguang’s acute awareness of the revolving doors was not lost on Anatoly’s perceptive gaze. Did his heart-shaped desserts entice her to see him as a love interest? Was that stone cast so impenetrable that he couldn’t bring a smile to her face with frills and sugar? He was a basic man, at the crux of it, beating a girl at board games in order to garner those sweet affections was a piece of cake for someone of his astute nature. Surely. The Tianquan’s renown as a one-of-a-kind beauty was the allure that caused him to set sail across the seas to cast his net, but he would never fold to a woman, not over a game. She'd claimed victory twice now, but his ego remained intact.

He had roped himself into a third round of chess with Ningguang; reeled her in with his big rod, and talked about his even bigger boat without leaning too heavily into that conversation. He remembered the way her garnet eyes lit and sparkled after lacing her tongue with his fresh baked Perepechi. Much to his frustration, only a semblance of a smile would touch her inscrutable features and that was when she was plotting her next move on the chess board. She didn’t giggle at his jokes, was unresponsive when questioned about anything other than mora, which was indicative of something far more annoying. He might like her less, if she paraded her victories and regarded him as competition, but she was genuinely patient with him. He had to wonder if Ningguang was tired of their games, and if he couldn’t defeat her - would she give him the time of day tonight? She was in agreement that his frosted slime condensate was the best tasting in Tevyat, but how to progress this merchant and vendor relationship to one rife with romance?

His square, and slightly crooked jaw fell slack with the revelation that maybe he was not the apple of Ningguang’s eye. An epitome that made all the sense, or else, why wouldn’t Ningguang be falling into his lap like the tasteful fox she pretended to be? Anatoly surmised that the quiet Tianquan must hold affections for a penniless, low-rung folk if she could not recognize a fine specimen like himself as suitable marriage material. He was a hit with the ladies back in Snezhyana, but he was exhausted by the local women, and he thirsted for something foreign to quench his palate. How could he crush her defenses without first checking the King?

His broad shoulders and dragonfruit sized biceps rippled in his cerulean tunic, noting that Ningguang was staring at the doors again and not at his sculpted muscles. Fuck this. His burly fingers outstretched across the chess board when a gloved hand jutted out and palmed the table. He followed that arm up to an embittered voice speaking to him as if a pest on the bottom of her boot. As if he had no right to be in this establishment, in the presence of this beautiful woman. Those artic blue eyes trailed away from the fallen King, to a Tianquan fading into a haze of smoke. Ah. So this how you want it to be. He puffed up and out like a rooster, swaggered his imposing stature on the woman as his massive frame eclipsed her own. They called him Bear, because he had a taste for sweets, and was built like a beast.

“Why don’t you watch your mouth, huh?” Anatoly pumped his fists together, and his crew huddled around him. “I will have your tongue and your fingers for stepping out of line.” Cackling and rabid growling from his gang spurned his ego on. Empowered by the jeering, he winded up his overgrown arm to strike at Beidou.

“Not again. Get out!” Degui stormed over to the scene of would-be chaos, shielding Beidou from the incoming fist with his frail body, knowing it would have brought him to his knees. That fist recoiled, and a rich, ragged growl from his wide chest.

This act of stupidity bravery earned Degui Anatoly’s mercy - he wouldn’t abuse the senior business owners. “Stand down, grandpa. I’ll leave you in peace, but I’ve got a bone to pick.” Gruff and tough, Anatoly hulked out the double doors, a layer of frosty armor coating his pale blue skin as he stood statuesque and proud outside of the bar.

"You wanna dance, little lady?"

beidoubannerfin.png

ʙᴇɪᴅᴏᴜ
She really should be above this.

Her roots notwithstanding, Beidou was not exactly a common ruffian who customarily threw her weight around and started bar fights. Lawlessness aside, the Captain of the Crux certainly had her own code of honor, and, at least in Liyue, served as quite the role model amongst many a bright-eyed young ‘uns. As she liked to say, her feuds laid with the big bad ocean beasties and unrepentant treasure hoarders. Truthfully, this burly man had done nothing to deserve her ire until she outright provoked him, something she should feel bad for and yet…

She could hardly see straight with how angry she was.

Blame her title. Blame her treasure collecting tendencies. Beidou had as bad a possessive streak as that legendary beast of yore that she was oft compared to. It was not a trait she frequently demonstrated - being well-known for her easy-going demeanor by and large. But that was more attributable to the fact that there was little she cared about beyond her crew and her freedom. Her simple desires meant that she didn’t crave the sort of thing that might move her to jealousy.

And yes, that was exactly what this was. Not that she would admit it, of course.

“You sure talk big,” she jeered, peering down at Anatoly with furrowed brows and a narrowed eye. “Let me guess - talked a big chess game too, and has yet to take a round off of her? Actually, scratch that, haven't even made it past twenty-five moves yet, have you.” A smirk now, his nonverbal reaction confirming her suspicions. Sober as she was, she was aware that her behavior was incredibly juvenile. Ningguang had every right to keep whatever company she so chose, unsavory as it might be. But her rational side was being manhandled by her lizard hindbrain, the way it huffed and puffed and dared to think of Ningguang as hers. Not that Ning was Beidou’s. But… Gah! Just thinking about the complicated mess that was her ‘friendship’ with Ningguang made her want to punch something. And fortunately or unfortunately, she happened to have the perfect target to channel her irritations upon.

Naught was said about Degui’s interruption; she would have caught that punch anyway if it came to that. An assessing gaze shot at that ever increasing veil of smoke, her expression on the verge of apologetic for what she was about to do to the tranquility of the market district, but not enough to actually desist, no.

Her hands laced in front of her chest even as she paced out of the tavern, cracking her knuckles before curling them into fists, hair and qipao whipping behind herself. Fuck it. She was itching for a fight, and it was far easier asking for forgiveness than permission. What a shithead though. That crimson gaze assessed the crystalline layer of frost. Brandishing his element like that before the fight has even begun…gods it just made her want to pummel him that much harder.

“I'll be honest, didn't know overgrown monkeys could dance.” She taunted as she made her way onto the street, assessing her surroundings with her limited peripheral. Good. It seemed that the wise denizens of Liyue could tell that shit was about to hit the fan and smartly evacuated her immediate surroundings. A few brave ones peeked their heads out of Wanmin Restaurant, quite curious to see the foreigner challenge the well-regarded Captain.

“Also, just so you know-” her frame blurred, launching forward with startling speed. Because guess what? Carrying that huge ass sword around all the time meant that when she fought without it, she was goddamn fast. “-just ‘cause not all of us have muscles for brains,” her fist connected squarely with his jaw, a solid crunch that echoed, “doesn’t make me little.” Crouching now, her footwork fast and precise, because a haymaker again? Seriously? Where the fuck did this foppish peacock learn how to fight. “It’s-” jab, “Captain-” block, “Beidou-” right-hook, “to-” left-shift, “you-” a solid cross thrown straight into his stomach, “by the way.” If not for that ice shield of his, Anatonly would probably already be on the ground.

A backward leap now, as the enraged man positively exploded with cyro energy, before she made a dismissive gesture with her hand. “Come on. Pack up, go home. You won’t like it when I stop holding back.” And that was true - that signature amethyst voltage of hers had not yet even flared once. She wasn't even winded.

ning2r.png

A ghost of a smile came to her lips upon seeing Beidou standing in the doorway, glaring daggers through the patrons and at her table. That seething aura and narrowed eye should not have elicited those blissful butterflies to spread from limb to toe, but Ningguang’s chest was all tangled up at the fresh sight of Captain Beidou. She cast her eyes around the tavern, noting everyone’s attention bounced between Beidou and herself.

Oh. Captain, you shouldn’t stare so lovingly. They are beginning to take notice. They might see.

She wanted to spring up and meet Beidou half-way, deter her from that blazing path she burned on the way over. Ningguang perked up in her seat like an eager pupil, to be acknowledged by Beidou after their time spent apart. It felt as if someone had ripped her heart out when Beidou flat out paid her dust in favor of disturbing the peace and taunting Anatoly over his inaptitude for chess. She shriveled inside, her heart physically aching from the lack of attention and second-hand embarrassment.

Ningguang couldn’t fathom in her wildest dreams that Beidou would introduce herself to a guest so harshly, but here she was… Knocking over pieces, and being generally awful to the guy. She wanted to disappear underneath the table, but the Tianquan was frozen in ice, her eyes wide like a rabbit caught in the gardens under a farmer’s torchlight. There was no ending in sight to the sparks flaring between the three of them.

Morax put an end to this madness. A match struck and Ningguang’s chest lifted with a deep inhale. A fragrant haze of tobacco and berry notes masked her shameful expression behind the smoke screen. She was aware of the role she played in this feud, and felt sick about how she played everyone. Bringing Anatoly to the Third Round Knockout was meant to make Beidou re-consider her extended trips…not to cause a fight and hurt feelings. Their chaotic relationship was confusing in that Ningguang wasn’t aware she couldn’t play chess with anyone else.

What are the rules, Beidou? Tell me how you really feel, Captain. She had royally burned both Beidou and Anatoly with her game, but in the grand scheme of things it was a necessary discovery for the two women.

Poor Anatoly. He was the innocent party in all of this. His one mistake was lying to the Tianquan about how adept he was at chess - maybe talking about his boat a little too aggressively at times, but nothing major. Ningguang would take pity on him, if not for the wild stories he weaved that would go on to unravel right before her very own eyes. She didn’t believe Anatoly deserved Beidou’s ire one bit, which is why she craned her neck away when Anatoly stood up from the table, closed her eyes when the first punch was thrown. The big fella’s fuse was shorter than she’d realized, which made him an easy target for Beidou. He also had a Vision, which caused sharp gasps from some of the bystanders when he sported his frosty armor.

“They will destroy all of the merchant district. Ningguang, you know she will kill him, don’t you?”

Her foot tapped idly on the ground, fingers laced through the spaces on her hands where they fit perfectly together. Ningguang subtly nodded her head at Degui for his words of wisdom. His eyes were sunken in and his body was shaking, but he was unharmed. One punch from Anatoly and it may have hospitalized him, but he was braver than Ningguang - much to her shame. She didn’t want to get her hands dirty in a bar fight, and she didn’t want to spend Mora repairing the damages to the merchant district. Beidou’s fight would sadly have to end without a clear victor.

That silk qipao brushed over her smooth thighs as the legs of the chair squeaked quietly from underneath the table. She sashayed past the swinging double doors, her shoulder blades drawn together and her chin pointed at Anatoly and Beidou. Ningguang’s presence alone divided the gawking crowd straight down the middle, a front row view to Beidou’s fists connecting with Anatoly’s jaw. A dozen eyes pointed to her, their glares blanketed in judgment. Heh. Ningguang couldn’t be liked by everyone. Maybe, Ningguang rightfully earned the ire of the patrons that were privy to her conflicting relationship with Beidou, but it was none of their business.

Her long legs ceased moving when her heels were planted in the soil and her body stood between the pair. That arctic energy blasting off Anatoly’s was like a harsh winter’s breeze, and Ningguang shook her head slowly in disapproval. Millith officers who were on patrol happened to catch wind of the commotion, and covered Ningguang’s flank as a precaution.

“Anatoly, you attacked Captain Beidou and threatened her with your vision. She is a respected friend and defender of this beloved city. I can not simply look the other way after what you’ve done.” Ningguang’s lids lowered, eyes narrowed like a viper going in for the kill, and she pointed her gloved fingers at him. “I command you to pack up and set sail by dusk from the shores of Liyue. I will write a letter to the merchants guild detailing what has happened here, and they will decide what to do with you when word reaches Snezhnaya.” Two Millilith marched in with their spears drawn and blades pointed at Anatoly. He cursed something in his native tongue, spat on the dirt at Beidou’s feet. The millileth prodded him in his back sharply, and the giant of a man ambled down the road, sniffling like a toddler who’d lost sight of their mommy.

Ningguang's arms encircled her waist, and she pivoted on her heels to face Captain Beidou. Her next words she carefully chose. “Captain Beidou, Your frustrations are valid, but your anger is misguided. I propose we hold off on the fighting from now on, lest we want to destroy all that we’ve built over these...long months.” Land or sea bound, Ningguang wanted to spend that precious free time with Beidou, and when Beidou acted out that made it difficult to be associated with her. Rare occurrence as it was, Ningguang couldn’t have Beidou antagonizing foreign merchants out of jealousy.

“Beidou…” Ningguang lowered her arms to her sides, a stuttered burst of air from her lungs. Breaking up a fight between two vision users was not on her list of things-to-do. She wasn’t even aware that Anatoly could do that, but the worst was over. She drove out a small chuckle from her chest, disbelief falling over her tranquil features. “Let’s go for a walk.” The patrons from The Third Round Knockout were still wholly invested in what had gone on, and Ningguang wanted privacy. She led Beidou down the curved stone path, out of the merchant district and to somewhere in-between. Her elegant strides ended on the arch of the stone bridge, underneath the shade of a maple tree rustled by the winds.

"Gales like this can be the demise of fishermen, not to mention... Heh, nevermind." Ningguang stifled a laugh, brandished her fan over her lips. The small of her back rested on the guard rail, and she crossed her ankles where she stood. The melodic tweeting from the topiary bushes and trickle of the river was music to her ears, and she couldn't dream of better company. “Captain Beidou, I have to admit that I searched low and high for someone that could hold their own against me in your absence. They're simply stand-ins to our reindeer games.” Ningguang mused, and she cocked her head to the side ever so slightly. "Nonetheless, there is a simple solution. especially when there is one thing here that you can not attain at sea."

beidoubannerfin.png

ʙᴇɪᴅᴏᴜ
Beidou kept to herself during Ningguang’s untimely interruption. Or was it timely? Logically, she understood that this fell squarely within the Tianquan’s domain. Each of the Qixing had their own duties. The Tianquan, for instance, was responsible for maintaining the book of ancient laws and amending such laws so they might align with Liyue’s ever-changing needs. And that was precisely the problem and the root of most of her conflicts with Ningguang - Ningguang swore to maintain order in Liyue, and as far as Beidou was concerned, rules existed to be broken.

Perhaps another might have appreciated the suave way Ningguang diffused the situation, but not Beidou. She was tense from head to toe, her jaw clenched tight enough that the muscles of her neck stood in high relief. That was her fight Ningguang interrupted. Her win Ningguang stole. Her blood roared for violence, for some way to vent her muddied feelings too difficult to comb through. Her knuckles itched to imprint itself into the other side of Anatoly’s jaw, and her chest heaved from the effort it took to restrain herself from lashing out some more. It was not that Beidou was a particularly brutal individual, but she was ever fond of actions over words. Anatoly was just a target dummy unlucky enough to be caught in the crosshair.

Ningguang talked, and Beidou said nothing. Her silence was nearly possible to be mistaken for acquiescence, but her body language was another matter entirely. She kept her eyes glued upon the ground, her sharp jawline pulsing with irritation, fingers clenching and unclenching over and over again. By the Archon, why was she so riled up? Surely not because she had missed Ningguang in the two weeks away, only to be greeted with such an irritating sight. No. While she wouldn’t deny her obvious attraction to the alluring woman, she did not have any designs upon Ningguang’s freedom - at least, that was the line she insisted to herself. Ningguang, like her element, was a creature of the land. While the sea might yearn for land in the way waves might insistently lap at the shore, the variance of ocean was inherently incompatible with the stillness of land. She wanted to enjoy Ningguang’s company, to bed her, ideally, but not be with her. So why…

Beidou realized with a start that she was now a fair distance away from the cityscape, having doggedly tailed after Ningguang whilst warring within her own mind. The scenery was beautiful. Ningguang was beautiful. But everywhere Beidou looked just further incensed her. She could not make heads or tails of the intense emotions she experienced, and, in true outlaw fashion, chose to manifest that as aggression.

“What are you trying to say?” She did not raise her voice, if anything, her tone was pitched even lower than usual. A tightness replacing her usual eloquence. Step, step, forward and crowding into Ninguang’s space, both hands bracketing her on either side of that guardrail, close enough that the displeasure smoldering in her eye was impossible to miss. If the last time she invaded Ningguang’s space might be considered deliberate seduction, then this was anything but. The ambience about her was all wrong. The tension of her back, the coil of her muscles and the blazing fire of her eye. Both of her hands on the guardrail made it clear that she wasn’t threatening violence - no, never that - but Beidou was still keyed up from that aborted fight, and Ningguang had caused herself to be the sole occupant in Beidou’s vicinity.

She wanted to brawl, wanted the satisfaction of her knuckles connecting with bone and flesh. Or to fuck, to re-channel all of this tightly compressed energy into an equally liberating pursuit. But Ningguang wanted to talk. About…chess. “Is that what I am to you?” She asked, unable to stop herself. “An exceptional chess partner?” That thought wounded her, and she didn’t know why. Despite all of her finesse when it came to flirtation and all that followed, Beidou was truly as clueless as they came when it came to actual affairs of the heart. In her vexation, she encroached even closer, not quite touching Ningguang but certainly cutting off her escape. Unintentionally, at that. Like a spring wound too tight, her escalation was not something entirely within her own control.

“So on one hand, you summon me to entertain you as you fancy, for as long as you fancy,” quite sore about getting kicked out over and over again, really. And could she really be blamed for the same? Ningguang liked to tantalize, liked to dangle that which Beidou was not allowed to have, and the months of ‘build-up’ so to speak just served as volatile explosives set ablaze by the external factor lighting the fuse. “And on the other hand, you search high and low to replace me every time I am away.” Her fingers dug so hard into the guardrail that they grooved beneath her savage force, her frame quaking ever faintly with all of that repressed anger. With jealousy. With hurt feelings and disorganized thoughts that she lacked the words to express. “I guess when you finally succeed on that quest of yours, when you finally find someone else capable of matching wits against you, that would be the last time you invite me out for a walk, huh?” Because why else, despite the fact that even a blind man could see the chemistry between the two of them, why else was Ningguang so unwilling to give her more than a modicum of time and attention. So unwilling to speak the language of physicality that Beidou was much more accustomed to. Because this, all of this, is just because you are having trouble finding a replacement for me, is that it? Gods. She could not remember being this pissed off.

ning2r.png

The clouds shifted with a cool breeze and the peek-a-boo sunshine beamed down on the bridge, over the not couple at odds. A new cluster of clouds rolled in from the east, crowding out the orange hues and darkening the vicinity with an all encompassing shadow. Those songbirds in the trees quietened down, and the lower register of Beidou’s voice sent the vellus hairs on the back of Ningguang’s slender neck to stand on end, her heart to knot up painfully. I thought I- Ningguang’s train of thought halted on its rickety tracks, and her heart sank down to her jelly-like knees in a scrambling back-step. Her bottom lip quivered for a flash of a second, the intense heat from that smoldering eye stilling the passage of air into her lungs. Ningguang masked the bottom half of her face behind the golden leaf and pearly jade fan, chest tightening with every second she was faced with Beidou’s displeasure boring down into her. She arced backwards over the stone rail, the delicate slope of her backside pronounced on the wood and her hip bones inches from meeting with Beidou in a possibly welcome invasion of privacy. Her repentant gaze cautiously lowered to the hands gripping the rails, enclosing her in that constrictive position that left no breathing room.

Her free hand curved around the guardrail on the inside where Beidou gripped it, and a dizzying haze swayed her to the side when their thumbs brushed one another. A near inaudible crack in her voice escaped her throat, and the furious flames engulfing the captain pulled Ningguang in too. That heat licked at her exposed thighs, stirred up the fire inside of her and left the depths of her core swollen with confusion and…sadness. Her eyebrows wrinkled in suspense, softened over her glossy eyes when Beidou aired Ningguang out over her earlier comments. Ningguang cringed as if struck by a blow, and she recoiled internally, gasped incredulously.

“That is untrue. You have to know that I value our partnership more than…any of the other relationships I’ve formed.”

That faint line in the sand was now smeared and nearly nonexistent. Every second that their bodies wavered and dangled inches from colliding was pure hell, and Ningguang wanted the opposite of an escape from it. That rapturous blaze and subtle shift in the fabric when Beidou flexed her muscles angrily sent Ningguang into a daze. The captain’s disappointment was palatable, her radiant furry piercing that veil of indifference cast over Ningguang’s features. The heat made her wilt, but she mustered up her energy to stay afloat, to hold her face up.

“I was under the false impression that you were satisfied with things, Captain. I-I wasn’t aware that you cared to this capacity.” She gulped down a steadying breath, casting a sidelong glance over her shoulder as she turned to reveal her side profile. She folded the fan into an ornate stick, and her trembling hands adjoined over those calloused fingers bruising the guardrail.

Ningguang’s silk bound fingers trailed over the exposed skin for a fleeting, selfish moment. If she could re-do this whole scenario she wouldn’t change a thing, though the salt from those rather tame words stuck with her like a bee sting. She had rightfully earned some of the ire that Beidou directed towards her, so she took her lashing or two. Silence. Ningguang retracted her arm, coiled them around her waist, and shook her head for a long second. Her mouth clenched to one side, and blush tainted her alabaster complexion. Beidou's harshness rocked Ningguang's sense of stability, brought her to the verge of seething tears.

“If you wanted me to remain as I always am, even in your extended absences, then you need only ask. You’ve left me no other option, as I see it you’ll only be happy if I shrivel up here while you ration your time arm wrestling and…whatever else it is you busy yourself with on your journeys.” Ningguang, flicking her wrist in a blasé fashion, pivoted within the small space, and cast a frigid shoulder at Beidou. “The nerve of you. Perhaps if chess and walks aren’t good enough, I should let you be from now on. You seem to be pretty hands on with your shipmates, anyway.“ She bit back her tongue then, blood rushing in her ears as if in the pre-heat of battle. “I’m going home. I'll see you tomorrow.” Clenching her jaw, her molars pressed so hard together she could probably bite a tree in half. Surely Beidou could relate; the emotions roiling off of the both of them would lead to a combustion if they didn't take time and space.

beidoubannerfin.png

ʙᴇɪᴅᴏᴜ
Hungry. Eat.
Thirsty. Drink.
Horny. Fuck.

Beidou was simple, or at least, tended towards simple pleasures, something life on the ocean only further reinforced. Nearly every meal was fish - dried, roasted, filleted and served raw. And, when she came to possess her own fleet, fish but with more chili peppers. Could have sprung for more luxury than that, certainly had the Mora to do so…but by that point, she was so used to eating fish that she required little else.

Ningguang wasn’t simple. One might even say that everything about the Tianquan was complicated. Her outfits. The nuanced blend of tobacco and herbs she favored. Her board games. Her books - imagine reading in general, the horror! And so, it perhaps came as no surprise that Beidou and Ningguang simply spoke different languages when it came to this. Whatever this was.

And all of it was confusing to Beidou, because she liked Ningguang, who was practically the antithesis of everything she liked. Liked her smile, her voice, the way her own name sounded rolling off of Ningguang’s tongue. Liked her company, the easy banter, the push and pull, the challenge of learning chess, for one. Liked how she looked, could certainly use more colorful language than that too, but looks weren’t the only reason she so insistently pursued Ningguang, no. But what did all of that mean? What did she want from Ningguang at the end of the day? That, she couldn’t answer.

What she did know however, was that it hurt her to see Ningguang hurt. To see those teeth clench, the near flinch, the steadying breaths and the way Ningguang closed herself off with her body language. Because of Beidou. To be the cause of the same was like diving into the frigid ocean, swimming into the deep abysses where light barely penetrated. Ice cold. Numbing. The fire of her anger was doused so abruptly that her head spinned. Leaving her feeling…drained. Hollow.

Ningguang moved as though to brush past her, but Beidou couldn’t have that. Instinctively, she knew she should not let the woman leave her side in such a state, when there was so much unsaid. Beidou didn’t know the words to this particular duet, but she had hurt Ningguang, and her personal code of honor demanded that she at least try. “Ning, wait,” she asked, a note to her voice that sounded suspiciously like pleading. “I spoke without thinking. It’s clear that I misunderstood your intentions.” As close to an apology as she was ever going to offer, probably.

“Look, I,” a pause, as she hesitated, feeling lost. Which was just the strangest feeling, because even upon the open sea, with not a single landmark in sight, Beidou was never lost. She pulled back a fraction, peeling her hands off of the guardrails and giving Ningguang some much needed space. Ran a hand through her own bangs, all the way up her scalp, tousling that wild mane of hers in a clear demonstration of frustration. “I like playing chess with you, and I like our walks.” She added in a nod for good measure, almost as if reassuring herself. “But no, you are right, I’m not satisfied.” Her throat bobbed with a swallow, her mind flashing back to the frothing anger she felt seeing Ningguang opposite that annoying ape who had gaped at her so openly.

“I don’t know what I’m doing with you. What we are doing, rather. You are...different.” Lack of eloquence notwithstanding, it was honest, and her gaze said as much too. “You know that sailing is my life, and the livelihood of my crew,” a pause, as she ran her mind over the rest of Ningguang’s statements, “but I don’t think this is about my sailing, is it?” She reached out, laid a hand gingerly upon that bared shoulder, where the sleeves were detached from the rest of the apparel. “You seem to understand this a lot more than I do, so you tell me. What are we doing, Ningguang?” Her brows knitted, but with sincerity instead of fury this time around. “...what do you want from me?”

ning2r.png

The shivery air was ever present around Ningguang’s frozen figure, and that icy pout was fixed stubbornly on her cool facade as Beidou restricted her path. She half-expected Beidou to stand down, rocked in her heels as she fidgeted like a bird ready to take flight. Ning. Her chin lifted in defiance, but her brows were arched with intrigue. This pleading was an exceptionally sweet sound from the wild spirited maestro, a symphony that Ningguang would request in abundance from this day forward.

She was flexible with Beidou, and their flirty pastime was the enrichment to her day. For Ningguang it was not a question of whether or not she liked Beidou, but whether their budding relationship was a gainful investment. The Tianquan wasn’t so unique from those wide-eyed rabbits that Beidou enjoyed spreading out on her futon, but she was wholly unwilling to mirror their actions… Maybe. She was tightlipped about that fact, and invoking those emotions when the other party was sea bound for half the month was not how she wanted to spend her spare time. She observed Beidou tousle her mane out of frustration, and Ningguang’s cold shoulders uncinched. The tightly wound knots in her muscles unfurled like a yarn ball as Beidou’s warm hand consoled her, and she glimpsed a future where they could have a tangible relationship with compromise.

“I want us to stay as we are...” A dry patch made her voice crack, and she swallowed with a soft click. The words she wanted to say were all locked up inside of a chest, but she would undoubtedly lose Beidou to another if she didn’t bend with her. She had to open up, declare some part of herself. “I want loyalty from you. You understand, don’t you?” Ningguang reached up and pressed her index finger against Beidou’s sternum, spreading her palm out over the soft canvas, just avoiding the plush curve of her breast. She could be altruistic, but Beidou always found a way to bridge the physical distance. Was it her turn to flip the tables?

“I love,” Ningguang fell into silence as giggling and the clacking of zori on the ground prompted her to pause completely. She cast a glance toward the sounds, and a pair of children frolicked over the bridge without a care in the world. Ningguang exhaled dreamily when they went along their merry way, and she curled that same finger around a ribbon of black hair all the way up to the sculpted marble jawline. She continued her thoughts when she gazed up at Beidou. “I love that you sail. You should know I was envious, I was hurt. ”

Ningguang’s bosom compressed on Beidou’s full bust as she slanted upward. “I want you to be happy,” she extended her neck a fraction and those sea-salt kissed, black strands tickled her face. Her lips hovered centimeters from Beidou’s ear; two girlfriends gossiping, or more? “I want to get to know you, Beidou. I won’t share my spoils, and I won’t easily hand over my assets just because I’m different from them. Them being those lovely ladies in their inexpensive beautiful silks, with their eager and sweet dispositions. Ningguang wouldn’t turn her nose up at Beidou's taste, but she wouldn't know peace if she thought she would juggle more than one gorgeous woman at a time.

“Let’s come to a mutual understanding.” Ningguang retreated from the pleasant body heat and spun nimbly in her heels, a confidence in her gait as she sauntered past Beidou. “My greatest offense is playing a friendly game of chess, but I know I’m not the only woman you’ve played strip chess with. I want to believe all of that will end today." Ningguang slowed to a full stop in front of a stone komainu statue, feet hip width apart and her hands on her waist. A coy grin manifested on her lips at the idea of Beidou giving up her precious liberties, she stifled a laugh in her chest. "Can you handle that?"

Last edited:

beidoubannerfin.png

ʙᴇɪᴅᴏᴜ
As we are… But what were they? What was this tangled mess of friendship but not? Friends were those she slapped her arms around, raised tankards with, and more often than not, fought side by side and sparred directly against. She certainly didn’t play strip chess with her friends, nor did she know what flowers they liked or what books they read. But at the same time, Ningguang was clearly not the other category in her world, a category that encompassed quite a bit of breadth. Certainly not merely mild-tempered hares that Ningguang apparently suspected.

Beidou was not picky when it came to those whom she took to bed. Had a thing for pretty girls, certainly, but that epithet included anything from busty tavern wenches to slender noble ladies to more exotic fares than that. Her reputation in that regard and in general was a double-edged sword. There was no shortage of women who wanted a night with the infamous Captain of the Crux, Slayer of Haishan…the titles went on, but their interest in her was skin-deep, a superficiality she shared in return. They wanted the myth, the legend, the notorious ladykiller, and she just wanted respite from the elements, someone to share a fleeting memory with, and pleasure.

And then there was Ningguang.

Nevermind the fact that she casually invaded Beidou’s space, thoughts, and made the steady-handed captain exhale a not-so-steady breath from the warmth of her words washing over Beidou’s ear, it was the meaning behind those words that baffled. To know her. Like a friend might, and maybe more. But also loyalty, something a friend might well seek but certainly not in the way Ningguang requested. No, she understood well what was being asked of her. Ningguang wanted an oath of fidelity, required that Beidou swear off all her petty but numerous dalliances and focus all of her attention and energy upon just the one. An exorbitant ask by itself, and on top of that, the cutthroat negotiator herself wouldn’t even offer, much less promise, sating those urges that spurred Beidou to chase those dalliances in the first place.

Ningguang walked away, challenging her, and Beidou… Truthfully, she hesitated.

Because by the Archons, she was already having trouble restraining herself around Ningguang. To say that she was feeling insatiate when she descended from the Jade Chamber two weeks ago would be an understatement, and it was something she promptly rectified at her favorite tavern with one of those hares Ningguang professed envy at. It wasn’t really what Beidou wanted, not even close, but it was certainly better than the alternative that her unfairly alluring ‘chess-partner’ now demanded of her. She knew herself well enough to understand that if she gave her word, then she would follow it to the letter, whether or not Ningguang had any actual abilities to ascertain truth from fiction. She also knew herself well enough to comprehend that she would absolutely loathe adhering to the same.

But then again, that was probably precisely the point.

Leaving aside her ambivalent feelings on the topic, Beidou at least now had a much better idea of what the hell was happening here. Began to grasp what they were, or
could be, rather. Thought she glimpsed exactly what Ningguang’s game or lack thereof was here. Ningguang wanted to build. Wanted growth. Wanted steadfastness the same way Beidou might seek seaworthiness in a vessel. And being the extraordinary woman she was, Ningguang deserved that dependability and more. But was that the sort of thing Beidou could give, even assuming she were willing to?

Geo was well-grounded, and geo wanted stability in turn. To watch roots spread and flowers flourish and to nourish the new. And electro… besides the obvious of chaos and excitement, what else did electro want?

Beidou shook the thought away. Nevermind all of that. She lifted her one good eye and leveled a look at Ningguang that was both resolute and conflicted. Fuck it all. This wasn’t complicated. She was never one to plan that many moves ahead unless she had to, preferring to go with her gut and all that. Never one to shy away from destiny’s call.

Who knew destiny looked so goddamn hot though?

Her mind made up, she bridged the few steps Ningguang created again and pointedly placed her hand over the eyes of that komainu, as if to prevent the stone beast from ogling the woman her eye was trained upon. “I’m starting to see why those merchants are so terrified of you, Ningguang,” a confident laugh, her earlier indecision nowhere to be found. “You sure know how to state your terms and all that.” Terms she would accept, but not without haggling. Because she wouldn’t be made a fool like one of those merchants too swept up by the Tianquan’s allure to forget what words were.

“A mutual understanding requires that you give in turn.” She tapped at her chin, as if undecided as to what she wanted. In truth, she already knew exactly what she would propose. An exceedingly reasonable ask, all things considered. But Beidou knew that Ningguang would likely suspect something more akin to waterway robbery from her if given the time to stew, thereby making the sale pitch that much easier.

“For starters, grant me access to the Jade Chamber to visit you whenever I desire.” Not that she wasn’t already coming and going quite frequently, but having it clearly stipulated would be useful. Certainly, she knew how absorbed Ningguang could be with work, and if Beidou were expected to abstain from getting her satisfaction elsewhere, then she very much intended to inundate Ningguang with charm and attention until she got what she wanted from Ningguang instead. “And,” a smirk, tilting her jaw and leering, because it amused her to think of what Ningguang thought she might ask of next, and no, it wouldn’t be the physicality her intentionally chosen expression hinted at. “Clear your schedule for the next three days, we are going sailing. Oh, and you should probably pack something that you wouldn't mind getting wet.” Ningguang was a cunning businesswoman. Surely she could tell when a deal was slanted in her favor, but Beidou would let her have this win. Because Ningguang was worth it.

ning2r.png

Cynicism in her gaze, a slender arm extended in a professional manner; a barely-there smirk spreading her cupid's bow. A bounty with a return too rich to pass on, Ningguang opened her manicured hand to parlay with Captain Beidou. As pleasurable as Ningguang envisioned this fresh voyage with Beidou, her hard-nosed haggling and vow to loyalty came with a steep price.

“I will grant you full access to the Jade Chambers, as you’ve requested. You’ll behave, won’t you?” Ningguang’s soft hand enveloped Beidou’s calloused one and solidified their compromise with a pulsing handshake, a thin brow arched smugly. She regarded Beidou with squinted eyes, squeezed her hand harder as if to agree with her final sentiment.

“Oh. I will.”

Ningguang’s affinity for geo and Beidou’s love of the ocean could war if she allowed, but Ningguang would ride with the waves. Her arms were tied up in lucrative trade-deals and law, but a balance had to be struck if she wanted stability. She couldn’t idle in the Jade Chamber when Beidou invited her out to sea, not after she harpooned the notorious sea serpent and ensnared it in her net.

“Just to make it clear, the Jade Chamber will accept your unscheduled visits only after we make landfall back home.”

Sea-foam green tides curled and crashed in opposition to the fabled vessel sailing over the tranquil push and pull of the sea. The deep blue sky was nearly cloudless, only sparse white wisps and colonies of seagulls high above the glittering waves. Squawking and whooshing water was a blissful peace; a nostalgia that Ningguang didn't know she missed.

Ningguang stowed away on the quarterdeck at a round, kang table with Jazu and Furong seated on the left and right side. An arm's length away, neither of them could see her five cards tucked in her palm, nor could she glance at their hand. Ningguang’s brows weaved closed together, and she regarded those cards with a beaming grin as she laid them out one by one for those stunned gasps.

“Oi. Another straight? No way.” Jazu clamped on the edge of the table, shook his fist and tankard noisily. His bushy beard quivered with the trembling from his jaw, because this was the fifth time Ningguang steam pressed both Furong and Jazu in card games. If it was any one other than the Tianquan he may have suspected foul play, but he grumbled and washed that taste down with ale.

“How about we arm wrestle instead?” Furong chimed, burying her pointy elbow onto the wood surface, stressing and flexing her fingers to flaunt her incoming victory. She was half the size of Jazu, but her reputation as a talented fighter and near undefeated arm wresting champ cautioned would-be adversaries. “Come on, Jazu. You first.”

“Hah. I think not.” A light cackle spilled from her glossy lips, an index finger waved back and forth in a taunting display. Ningguang stretched her bare legs out in front of her, tapped her buffed and recently trimmed nails on the climbing red ink on her thigh; contrasted by her milky complexion without so much as a scar or freckle. Smokey rose quartz lenses filtered out the gleaming rays imparting that apricot glow all over her body, and Ningguang arched her back to bask in the warmth. She reveled in the breeze flowing through her scalp, over her clammy skin and through the cherry-red satin haltered over her buxom chest. Bangs withstanding, her long locks tamed into a singular braid dangling freely down her back.

"Grr-AH!" Jazu yowled in defeat, that tree trunk of an arm bent unnaturally and his fist anchored to the table. His blood shot face was buried on the table, a bulbous vein on his temple more prominent than before.

Ningguang stirred from her sun induced haze. Her left eye opened lazily, long enough to witness Furong relinquishing Jazu's arm.
Heh. She's tough. The Tianquan closed her eyes again, craved a soft surface to lay her head, and a cool drink to quench her throat. Ningguang unfurled and stretched her arms out, uncoiling gracefully to standing upright. "Pardon me." Her final words to Furong and Jazu, paid with a cool wave. She ushered a few steps here and there, rested her hand on the dip of her hip; embroidered phoenix sarong swinging in the breeze. Ningguang hoped that her almost silent footfalls didn't give her away, as she advanced like a kunoichi on the famed lady killer who had to be unsuspecting of her presence. She waited for Beidou to be alone and distracted, then slipped out of hiding in the shadows. The exfoliated hand wrapping around Beidou's waist would most certainly give her away, though it was a fleeting touch.

"Your crew is as wild as the woman who commands them, but maybe my perception of your pirating ways is shifting for the better." Ningguang grasped her shades between her index and thumb finger, adjusted them on the bridge of her small nose. "Where did you say we're going, again? I'm having a hard time staying awake."

Last edited:

beidoubannerfin.png

ʙᴇɪᴅᴏᴜ

alcor.png

Unsuspecting?

An impossibility; the raised quarterdeck was designed to give her an unobstructed view over the entirety of the colossal junk. Only the harpooner was out of her field of view, and even that spot was unmissable if she looked behind herself. The Captain would be found where the Captain would always be found, at the helm of the Alcor, both hands upon the wheel and guiding its course. But with Ningguang so pointedly approaching from her flank, paying far more attention to her footfall than necessary, it behooved Beidou to play along. She turned to her side at the touch, as if just now noticing Ningguang’s presence, as if she hadn’t already memorized the precise etchings of that golden phoenix hugging the contour of hips. That outfit was something else, but she wasn't about to comment on it though. Nah, Ningguang already knew how fine she was, and there was nothing Beidou could say that hasn't already been said by the constant influx of love letters pouring in from all across Teyvat. She would go about showing her appreciation a different way.

“You think they are wild?” She lifted a brow, peering down. “That’s unexpected, considering that I had instructed them to be on their best behavior, to be as well-behaved as I am.” A laugh, saying all that needed to be said about her thoughts on that topic.

Unlike Ningguang, who seemed so awfully excited for her little get-away that she had already gone and changed, Beidou was still dressed as she always was, greatsword strapped to her back and all. It was exceedingly unlikely that they would run into anything dangerous on this particular course she chartered, but one could never be too prepared on the open ocean. Minus the jacket though - it was bloody hot today.

“Heh, nice try.” She wagged a finger. “But I told you, it’s a
secret.” The destination, and just all of this generally. Beidou did not consider herself high-effort when it came to chasing skirts, mostly because a shot of swagger laced with a flirtatious smile was usually all it took. That was not to say she couldn’t be though. Oh, she was going to woo. Impress. Do that whole song and dance. And, Beidou being Beidou, taking Ningguang sailing was practically the peak of romance as far as she was concerned. But if Ningguang was having trouble staying awake despite that refreshing ocean breeze, then clearly some more excitement was called for. She wasn’t willing to offer anything too vigorous though, not yet; it would be a travesty if the Tianquan whose idea of exercise consisted of walks to the harbor tired herself out before they made landfall.

Besides, there were always less strenuous methods to entertain.

“If you are bored, then I’ll teach you something new. Something you won’t learn by staring at a scroll. Come ‘ere.” It was her hand wrapping around Ningguang’s forearm this time around, a much firmer touch as she brought the woman close and center. Repositioned herself behind Ningguang, fingers seeking fingers as she guided that much softer pair onto the well-worn wheel. Her own hands fell after that, sliding down to rest loosely over those slender wrists.

Unlike that night during the Lantern Festival, Beidou wasn’t nearly so disciplined this time around. No, as far as she was concerned, it was open season, and Ningguang was the quarry. Like any good hunter, Beidou has got her sights on the prize, and a little extra skin wasn't going to distract her from the same. She kept enough distance between their bodies for it to be a flirtatious hold at most, but leaned her upper body forward such that Ningguang would feel the contrast between the suppleness of those generous swells against her back and the unbridled power of those well-defined biceps bracketing her arms.

“Don’t be shy, give her a whirl and see what the Alcor could do.” Although, a ‘whirl’ would require applying a decent amount of force. Even with hydraulic trolley systems in place, steering such a massive ship was no small feat. “Feel the rhythm of the wave, sail with the current.” With Ningguang’s hair braided and out of the way, of course Beidou had to take full advantage and rest her chin upon Ningguang’s shoulder, such that her words washed directly over the shell of ear. A chuckle heralded her next words, her high spirit evident in her blithe tone. “Steer her right, and she will sail through clear skies and dismal storms both,” her thumbs glided over those delicate wrist-bones, simply admiring. “Enjoying being the Captain?” Not just anybody got to touch the steering wheel of the Alcor, the flagship of the Crux, Beidou's pride and joy. But it was an honor she would gladly permit Ningguang. Besides, at present, Beidou had something far more interesting than the Alcor to steer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom