Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How to deal with Writers Block

KalinMegaFan20

England Connoisseur
Obviously I apologise if this is talked about already but I’m suffering from writers block creatively so I was wondering if anyone had any remedies.

I found reading different novels helps me with this. Pacing yourself is also useful and also, using a ChatAI bot gives you some ideas in the sense of how a story will turn out.

Something to keep in mind: Writers Block is typically a symptom of a bigger issue.

The part of your brain that handles creativity is treated as a luxury, and is turned off any time you are stressed, tired, sick, dehydrated/needing food, mental illness issus like depression. Because our body interprets those conditions as life-threatening, so it diverts resources from anything that isn't contributing to our survival. And not being able to be creative is going to create more stress, which makes the situation worse...

So it's very likely if you have writers block you need to take care of you first.

In case of an RP, it might also be that your enthusiasm for that RP has gone. So the issue is your feelings toward that RP.

Something to keep in mind: Writers Block is typically a symptom of a bigger issue.

The part of your brain that handles creativity is treated as a luxury, and is turned off any time you are stressed, tired, sick, dehydrated/needing food, mental illness issus like depression. Because our body interprets those conditions as life-threatening, so it diverts resources from anything that isn't contributing to our survival. And not being able to be creative is going to create more stress, which makes the situation worse...

So it's very likely if you have writers block you need to take care of you first.

In case of an RP, it might also be that your enthusiasm for that RP has gone. So the issue is your feelings toward that RP.
Thank you so much. I hadn’t known about any of that scientific stuff until you mentioned it.

take melatonin to get a good nights sleep, walk the dog, change inspiration from reading to something more visual to audio or whatever other interests you have.

I never knew this and I find this incredibly insightful! It makes sense since I feel more inspired and driven when things are going well in my life.

Best way I've found to deal with writer's block, specially for smut, is to get some exercise in before posting.

Just taking a few days break from writing can help especially if you are stuck on a scene or response to a RP. When you come back to it you have a fresher mind and take on what to write,

There is some great insight in this thread, but I'll add my own thoughts too.

I find there are a few different kinds of writers block when I struggle with it.

The first kind is when the words just wont come. I don't have any enthusiasm, imagination, or drive to write. For me, this is usually from burn out. Between roleplaying, creative writing, and work, I can find myself just plain exhausted and everything feels forced. Self care, taking a break, listen to music, or taking a long walk and watching the ducks, do something to relax and give the ol' noggin some time off to rekindle the imaginative spark.

Another kind is where I feel like everything I'm writing is unoriginal, cliche, or self serving. Many writers struggle with imposter syndrome, and coming to terms that I have as much right to write what I want in the way I want is important for getting past it. Watching some bad movies, or reading a bad book is actually great for this, if they could get that made who is anyone else to tell me what I should or shouldn't write. And mind you, this is usually an argument with myself.

The third kind is the most insidious for me, just plain laziness. The last thing a writer wants to do some days is write. Whether is a chapter of a novel, an important email, or a smutty chapter of a story, it can be struggle to overcome the barrier to just sit down and write. I've been known to bite off more than I can chew partner wise, so if I get a post behind in more than a few stories, it can be super rough to get back into it. I find writing outlines of what I want the next post to be makes this more manageable for me, I just start with a bullet point and move onto the next, and if I need a break, I just take one, or bounce to a different story until I get back into what I want.

Writer's block strikes me as a personal thing that will impact writers in personal ways. What I find helps me get past it ultimate is to write something, to write anything, even if its bad. Then I save it and come back to it later and either try again with a better idea to bounce back from, or to spruce it up before posting it. And sometimes it can involve cutting a story, be honest with yourself and with your writing partners and write what you are passionate about.

Back
Top Bottom