Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How can RP be a hobby not a job?

KalinMegaFan20

England Connoisseur
So I’ve recently felt like a shit roleplayer/erper and Juno (my long distance girlfriend) and I feel like it’s because I have a chip on my shoulder and I treat this like a job rather than a hobby so I’d appreciate any tips to make it fun again. Some reassurance would be great too 😔

Rabbit has the right idea. The first step is a balance where you only consider your online writing as something to help relax your life, not define it.

I believe the second step is to find your niche. If you're not doing good one way and you have given it a try, consider changing your approach. Find a way that does work, maybe change your expectations or practice solo. A fresh set of eyes from the real world and for the hobby will better serve you to enjoy it again.

What do you mean you have a chip on your shoulder in regards to role-playing? I just want some clarification because what I know of this phrase, it means you have a bad attitude due to some perceived unjust treatment.

Are you saying you have a bad attitude towards rp because you perceive that others don't take it as seriously as you do?

Just trying to pinpoint what exactly the problem is, to offer the best advice I can.

What do you mean you have a chip on your shoulder in regards to role-playing? I just want some clarification because what I know of this phrase, it means you have a bad attitude due to some perceived unjust treatment.

Are you saying you have a bad attitude towards rp because you perceive that others don't take it as seriously as you do?

Just trying to pinpoint what exactly the problem is, to offer the best advice I can.
The chip on my shoulder is me constantly trying to be the best I can be. Not towards rp I just have a horrendous track record.

I would say you need to get out of your mindset that it is a job because it's not at all. You can't go into it thinking that things are going to go one way or people are going to do what you want them to do. I'm not saying you do personally. For me, it's fun when I'm not coming in with unrealistic expectations as anything can happen. You find partners, you come up with ideas and go from there.

I would say you need to get out of your mindset that it is a job because it's not at all. You can't go into it thinking that things are going to go one way or people are going to do what you want them to do. I'm not saying you do personally. For me, it's fun when I'm not coming in with unrealistic expectations as anything can happen. You find partners, you come up with ideas and go from there.
I understand what you mean

To me, it helps to bear these things in mind:
1. Real Life comes first, Always.
2. Don't take on too many stories at once. The more stories you have on your plate, the more unintentional pressure you place on yourself to respond to them all.
3. Real Life comes first. Always.
4. Don't make an undertaking to be a rapid-fire poster. Give yourself a more-relaxed posting schedule, like one or two replies a week per story. People who want a reply every day, or every other day...well, that may work for them, but if it doesn't work for you then move on to the next potential partner, regardless of how enticing the story idea might be.
5. Understand that moods to write can come and go. If you don't feel like writing, then don't try and force yourself to do so.
6. As Tove said, don't go into a new story with an expectation. The OOC communication with your partner is to build the understanding between you...it's a negotiation to find the balance between you so that you both know what works in and for your partnership.
7. Did I mention that Real Life should always come first?

Hope it helps. It works for me...mostly. :)

To me, it helps to bear these things in mind:
1. Real Life comes first, Always.
2. Don't take on too many stories at once. The more stories you have on your plate, the more unintentional pressure you place on yourself to respond to them all.
3. Real Life comes first. Always.
4. Don't make an undertaking to be a rapid-fire poster. Give yourself a more-relaxed posting schedule, like one or two replies a week per story. People who want a reply every day, or every other day...well, that may work for them, but if it doesn't work for you then move on to the next potential partner, regardless of how enticing the story idea might be.
5. Understand that moods to write can come and go. If you don't feel like writing, then don't try and force yourself to do so.
6. As Tove said, don't go into a new story with an expectation. The OOC communication with your partner is to build the understanding between you...it's a negotiation to find the balance between you so that you both know what works in and for your partnership.
7. Did I mention that Real Life should always come first?

Hope it helps. It works for me...mostly. :)
Thank you, I feel like my skills are shit because of the insurmountable expectations

Thank you, I feel like my skills are shit because of the insurmountable expectations
We've never written together, so I can't comment on your skills.

However, I'll suggest that they're probably NOT "shit", but more likely weighed down by the conflict between dream and reality. :)

If you walk into a situation - any situation, not just writing - with preconceived high expectations...you're just setting yourself up for disaster.

Don't set the bar so high, and you'll get to sit back and enjoy the glow of success. Then raise the bar a little.

We've never written together, so I can't comment on your skills.

However, I'll suggest that they're probably NOT "shit", but more likely weighed down by the conflict between dream and reality. :)

If you walk into a situation - any situation, not just writing - with preconceived high expectations...you're just setting yourself up for disaster.

Don't set the bar so high, and you'll get to sit back and enjoy the glow of success. Then raise the bar a little.
Alright. In your opinion then how should I make it known about the kind of partner I seek

Remembering that these are only suggestions based on what works for me:
1. Set our own limitations and boundaries that work for you. If you don't know what you want to get out of it, nor how much time you can realistically devote to it, you're not going to enjoy it. Do this first before doing anything else. No point taking on a project because it sounds grand, only for you to later discover you can't give the resources it demands. :)
2. If making your own Request Thread, communicate those limits/boundaries/requirements near the top. That way viewers will be informed early about what manner of person/writer you are, and will stop or proceed accordingly. Those who choose to proceed will do so knowing how much time & energy you're willing to give.
3. If responding to a request thread, put those limits/boundaries early in your response. If the person accepts those, they'll go on to your ideas.

Ultimately, though, I'd suggest that you work out within yourself first how much effort you're able to put in, and what you want to get out of it. That way you'll do a much better job of finding the right partner and story.

Remembering that these are only suggestions based on what works for me:
1. Set our own limitations and boundaries that work for you. If you don't know what you want to get out of it, nor how much time you can realistically devote to it, you're not going to enjoy it. Do this first before doing anything else. No point taking on a project because it sounds grand, only for you to later discover you can't give the resources it demands. :)
2. If making your own Request Thread, communicate those limits/boundaries/requirements near the top. That way viewers will be informed early about what manner of person/writer you are, and will stop or proceed accordingly. Those who choose to proceed will do so knowing how much time & energy you're willing to give.
3. If responding to a request thread, put those limits/boundaries early in your response. If the person accepts those, they'll go on to your ideas.

Ultimately, though, I'd suggest that you work out within yourself first how much effort you're able to put in, and what you want to get out of it. That way you'll do a much better job of finding the right partner and story.
Thank you very much for this :)

kenny-were-the-millers.gif

Back
Top Bottom