Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

[Does This Count as Extra Credit?][~][Tori & Monster]

G

Natalie sighed as she looked over her report card. D, A, B, D, F. Science, Gym, Math, History, English. She knew sports, and she knew numbers... Numbers were easy. It was just letters that made her want to tear her schoolbooks in half, letters and words. It was too bad she'd taken all her music classes already, otherwise she'd have two As.

Another sigh escaped her lips. She needed a parent or guardian's signature, and that was going to suck. Dad wasn't the most understanding person. She winced as she thought about the probable outcomes of the situation. It wouldn't be pleasant. And her English teacher wanted to meet with her after school today, so she was going to be late coming home, too.

The spindly girl adjusted her tophat and the lapels on her pinstripe jacket. An MP3 player was tucked into the breast pocket, earbuds filling her ears. They were Skullcandy brand, her favorite. She listened to Nicholas Megalis as she walked along the halls of her public high school. She loved music. It made her heart melt every time. She used to try writing songs, but they never worked out. Words in general just never worked for her.

She jammed her hands deep into her jeans' pockets, her heavy DocMartins clunking along the floor as she headed towards her English teacher's office.

Jackson Blank was not your typical English teacher. Due to the low funding in the area, The school often recycled its best teachers when older ones retired or passed away, and Mr. Blank was one such teacher, formerly a Music Theory teacher for Seniors. Now he was an English teacher for Sophomores and Juniors. He still enjoyed the job, loving every minute of watching the minds grow and move forth. He loved his students, putting more effort than most in their education, and it showed. It didn't hurt that he had sped through his early school and colledge with incredible speed and diligince, becoming a teacher almost before he could consume alcohol. Cheerful, helpful, and handsome, that was the esteemed Mr. Blank.

He did not, however, have a great deal of organization. Oftentimes he would forget test dates, appointments, and meetings, rushing into class or a meeting room at full speed, very flushed and out pf breath, stammering apologies. His desk was often out of order, his tie rarely properly done, his hair always a little messy. However, even when he forgot tests or appointments, he would come up with a new lesson plan on the spot or would dive into the discussion with little issue.

Thus it was that she came upon him, one foot on the ground, the other on his desk, headphones on his head, air guitar between his hands. He was singing a rock ballad about war and drugs, their corrupting influence. After a few seconds of seriously rocking out, he leapt, strumming in midair, turning to see her, just as the headphones popped free and the speaker blasted them with System of a Down. He turned to switch it off, laughing nervously.

"N-natalie!" he stammered, nervously, blushing slightly. "Remind me why you're here?" he asked politely, then saw her report card. "Ah, right. Take a seat. We need to talk. Don't worry, you aren't in trouble."

Natalie walked in through the half-open door to the classroom, expecting a dull meeting, just like she had with all her other teachers. No one cared about her excuses, about the fact that to her, words were always backwards or jumbled, never how they were supposed to be... They didn't have time to worry about that when there were other, better students looking for extra credit. What she got instead of a boring meeting surprised her.

Her lips parted in a little gape as she watched her English teacher rock out on an air guitar. Despite his cheerfulness and willingness to please, she had never pinned him as a punk rocker. When he turned and looked at her, glasses askew and cheeks pink with blush, she giggled. She just couldn't help it! And then he asked why she was there and she looked at her toes, holding up the manilla paper in her hand that showed she was failing most of her classes.

As instructed, she sat. Her jean skirt fitted her just-so, and only rode up slightly when she sat. She wore bright purple tights underneath that, and a simple white t-shirt under her jacket. People found her strange for the clothes she wore, but for most of her personality, too... She was an odd little ducky. Her fingers held the report card carefully for a moment, fidgeting with it, and then she set it on his desk.

"In the comments section... You said you had a theory about why I was doing so poorly, and that you wanted to talk to me about it..." She mumbled and thought, great, another teacher will tell me I'm a dumbass.

"Right, right." he said. "It occurred to me this afternoon, in fact." he said with a smile, sitting across from her, backwards on his office chair, his face barely poking out over the high back. "Y'see, most kids who fail aren't really trying, they... how to put this, they've given up. They hand in enough to get by, make hundreds of various errors, rarely pay attention... you get the idea. But you..." he hopped and spun the chair so he could lean forward, the subtle aftershave touching her nose. "You are trying so, so, hard. And all the errors you get... repeat. Here, let me show you." he picked up a paper. "You mix up ei and ie, ou and uo, that, you always mispell as taht, I could go on." he smiled. "Not so long ago, this school had an excellent program for special needs students, one I was part of. I've seen this a lot, before the big cuts."

He got out of his chair, leaning closer to her again to look her in the eyes. "Natalie, I know you have a beautiful mind in there. You do so well in math, the science teacher says your oral awnsers are so spot on. We've collaborated, and decided, after much thought, that we're going to reccomend that you get an examination for dyslexia. You can eiuther have it here, via a standard test, or, we can speak with your parents and determine a course of action from there."

Natalie looked at him with a quirked eyebrow. He was almost like a little kid with all his antics. And when she thought about it, he kind of was a little kid... At least when compared to her other teachers. He must have been barely twenty-four. She watched him with a rather blank expression, her fingers playing with a ring she had on her right ring finger. It was silver, with a little blue stone affixed to it--very simple design.

"Dys... Whaty-what?" She asked suddenly, looking up at him with a very confused expression. Of course she knew what it was. They had learned about it in health. But she had never thought to ask about it or suggest it or... He had started talking about tests. What was it? Standard versus advanced? She shook her head, looking away, at the dusty far corner of the classroom. "It's parent. Singular." She informed him quietly. "And he won't pay for any special tests, so I guess it leaves the standard one..." She brushed a few stray hairs out of her face and folded her hands neatly in her lap, her tophat sliding down over her eyes.

Mr. Blank smiled. "I will administer the test. It's something I've come up with with thew help of experts, and it is not that difficult or taxing." he leaned close, tipping up the hat to look into her eyes. The most important thing, to me, is that you are properly educated. Money does not enter into it, nor do disabilities. A lesson for every student, that's how I work."

He leaned back, smiling. "Now, I want you to bring this to your father. Either way, we need his consent for specialized schooling, and to work out the IEP, if you get one." he went on. "If he still won't allow it, then you can come work with me after class." he said with a smile. "And that time will count as extra credit, between you and me." he said softly.

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste. I don't intend to see you left behind." he said gently, leaning close to her. He was well-liked by the female student body, and rumors ran amok. this girl or that guy... fantasies, all of them, but all of them made up by girls who had fallen hard for him. His name elicited sighs, looks of envy or adoration. Although he was completely oblivious to such things, he was the heartthrob of the school.

Natalie nodded and looked at the floor. Perhaps this situation wasn't as bad as the one before. Now she had an excuse for being stupid... Right? He couldn't get mad at her for genetics, right? When he leaned in close to her like that suddenly, her eyes went wide and she blushed. It was almost as if he was about to kiss her. While Natalie had never been one to swoon, it was hard not to when an attractive man leaned in close enough to pucker up.

She swallowed hard and looked away, fidgeting a little. "Perhaps... you should keep a more... LEGAL distance..." She managed, stumbling on her words only slightly. She didn't want to seem like more of an idiot than she probably already did. Her mind floated back to her father and she looked at her lap, fingers playing with the ring again. "I don't know how to tell him about this..." She informd Mr. Blank, hoping he would get the reference to her father.

"A-ah, sorry." he said, backing away. "Now, listen: Something like this isn't an excuse. It's not something you can use to get out of work or make your life easier. It's a challenge, something you have to live with, but at least now we know how to work around it." he said, looking her straight in the eyes. "There's no extra fees or such for the test or the program. As for telling him, hand him this note. It should explain everything rather easily."

He handed her a sealed envelope.
"The way you talk about him, I'm a little worried how things'll turn out, but don't worry. As I said, even if you don't get the test or the special classes, I'll work with you personally, so there's nothing to really worry about."

He stretched languidly in his chair with a sigh. "Would you like me to take you home?" he asked with a smile. "I mean, it's not all that far, really, and I like getting to know my students..."

Natalie continued to look down at the floor. It was strange to her that she suddenly wanted to reach out and touch the man. She had never thought of him as more than a teacher, she had never thought of any of her teachers as more than a teacher. She knew all the rumors, she knew which girls wanted everyone to think they were dating him... But she knew better. He was a nice guy, not someone who would have sex with a bunch of teenage girls.

She wanted to say no when he offered a ride, mostly because she didn't want him to see her house. It wasn't something to be proud of. Her father didn't work; he was on welfare. There wasn't a lot for him to work with when they relied on welfare checks. "I'd like a ride." She admitted softy. She knew she could ask him to pull off sooner and let her out at a nicer house than her own. It wouldn't be too bad.

Suddenly, she looked up at him again, almost shyly. Her deep brown eyes glittered in the dim light streaming in through the windows. "Thank you." She managed softly, almost shyly, her hat slipping a little forward over her forehead again.

Mr. Blank smiled, putting on a helmet and handing her one too. "We'll be using the sidecar." he said simply. "I'll admit that it might look bad if you just ride behind me." he scratched the back of his head and lead her out to his bike, a Harley with a sidecar attached and full of stuff. "Ah. Hurm." he rubbed his chin, looking from her to the bike to her. "Well, I suppose there's really no avoiding it." he said, hopping on and patting the seat behind him. "There's little handles here that pop out..." he showed her, just under the back seat. "Sorry if this makes you uncomfortable."

He faqstened his helmet and smiled at her as he started it up, smiling at the machine. It had served him for a good ten years now, unfailing and faithful. Some of his coworkers said he was a playboy, a wild teacher. Maybe they were right.

He didn't care. He came to have fun and to teach. He smiled at his student, his lovely student, suddenly finding himself wondering how old she was anyway.
Bad thoughts! Bad thoughts! he thought, trying to drive it out.

Natalie followed him outside into the faculty parking lot. She'd been there once before, after Speech and Debate, when Ms. Margaret had given her a ride home. Ms. Margaret was the speech coach, as well as the old English teacher. She was one of the few who knew Natalie was smart, just couldn't give her good grades because of all her spelling errors. When they neared the Harley, she strapped on her helmet, looking the bike over.

It was the old Sons of Anarchy style, elegant instead of flashy... even the sidecar full of stuff. She looked at the stuff with a little bit of concern. That wasn't good. When he climbed on and showed her how the handles popped out, she blushed a little. That was not a big seat. Her legs would be practically wrapped around him. She's be doing the splits against the small of his back.

Her cheeks flared with red and she shook her head. "I-it's fine." She told him, carefully climbing on, grasping his shoulder gently as she did so. Her arms then slipped around his waist, her cheek leaning against his shoulder blade. "Is this okay?" She murmured, closing her eyes. "It's a lot more comfortable..."

He smiled.
"That's fine, if you're alright with it." he said simply, starting to ride. The sidecar helped him keep his balance a great deal, he wasn't used to having passengers. Most times, he went without it. He loved to be free, the only reason he wore the helmet was for safety. If he was the man of steel, he'd go without it, letting the wind through his unkempt hair.

The feeling of her against him didn't bother him. It excited him, he hadn't been on a proper date in years, not since college. he missed those days, those happy sighs and tangled nights, making women happy and them him. He studied well, and he romanced well. But, he reminded himsef, I'm not a kid anymore. I'll find someone my age, settle down, get married. It's what is expected.

But his mind was already doubting the idea. I can still play the feild, right? I'm not an old man, right? her warmth on his back, her hands around his waist... It was almost too much, as he approached his home.

Natalie let out a soft, happy sigh, smiling to herself. It was awesome to be able to be like this with someone. She hadn't had a proper hug in ages. Her father was not an affectionate man. The thought of him made her stomach go into the worst imaginable kind of knots. All she could think of was him when he was drunk, because the last time he was really sober was a few years after her mom had died.

As he drove, she felt the horrible sense that they were already growing close to her horrible home. She suddenly remembered something, though; the house she'd always, always wanted. It was a beautiful house, well-kept, three full stories. Beautiful off-white with black accents... beautiful garden... She tapped on his shoulder frantically, as they were right on the end of the block.

"I-It's right up here!" She lied. He would never have to know about her house that was falling apart. He could just believe that this was her house, and that he wasn't a poor little girl. "Th-the three-story white one on the corner." She hoped he wasn't suspicious.

He stopped in front of it, taking off his helmet and looking back at her. Should I tell her, or have a little fun with her first? She's probably ashamed of her real place...
"Are you sure?" he asked. "I'd hate to have you walking halfway across town if you're mistaken." he said with a gentle smile, looking into her eyes. Those gorgeuos eyes he had trouble looking away from.

He knew he was thiiiiiis close to getting into massive, heavy-duty trouble. He always used a hands-on approach with those he taught. Once, when he was teaching a freshman, he actually gave the kid a ride to the music store and bought him his instrument, because of his hear of gertms and lack of money.

He'd never heard better music. Even if it was played by masters, knowing that he was the one that let the boy experiance being on a stage and performing... that was what he lived for.

Natalie blushed when he looked at her like that. Was she sure? Well, yes, she was sure he waned to be let out here, even if it was at least a half mile until he reached her real house. He wouldn't have to know it wasn't her real house. He would never have to know. When he looked into her eyes she almost cried; not because it made her sad, but because she didn't want to lie to him when he was so nice to her.

"Y-yeah, I'm sure." She said, carefully removing her helmet. It revealed a flattened tophat which, apparently, she hadn't ever taken off. She blushed as it popped up to its normal short stature, almost like a cartoon character who had been flattened by a boulder. She climbed off the bike and held her helmet out to him, smiling shyly.

"Thanks for the ride." She murmured, as he took the helmet from her. Without hesitation she gave him a little kiss on the cheek, blushed, and disappeared, running down the driveway of the house. She could cut through the back yard and he wouldn't suspect a thing, right?

He smiled, parking the bike and watching her leave. The kiss had been sweet, gentle. He knew she didn't live here, of course. But he wondered to himself, what did she have to hide? Did she live alone? Was it a bad area? Was she really rich?
Dammit, he had to know. Or else it was gonna bug him all night. He watched her vanish into the backyard, glad his dog was inside, then quickly ran in and changed clothes, putting on a visored helmet. Stepping on the bike, knowing she wouldn't be suspicious now, he set off after her. Really, there was only one road back behind his house.

And if she lived there, it worried him. He leaned closer ro the bike.
I have to know! he thought, knowing the lead he gave her was quite large. And even if he caught up, he could be seen once, as these clothes were bulkier and his frame well. In fact, he felt almost like he was riding a white horse in sparkling armor...

Natalie climbed through the bushes, under a hole in the fence, then hurried along the sidewalk of her street. It would take her a while to get home--not too long, but at least twenty minutes. As she hurried along, she glanced back and forth, making sure there weren't any unsavory characters following her. Every so often someone did follow her, since she was a 'pretty white girl' in a stereotypically black neighborhood, but she had learned how to take care of herself... She always carried pepper gas in her bag.

No one followed her that day. She hurried down the sidewalk anyways, which was covered with weeds and grass, towards a house at the end of the block. It was run-down, dirty white paint peeling off, grass unkempt. There was even a gutter falling off one side. The top floor was where she lived; one of two. It was small, but bigger than her brother's first-floor room, while her father occupied the couch in general, when he wasn't passed out in the bathtub.

Natalie sighed as she stood in front of the house. The gate was even falling off its hinges. She sighed again and walked past it, through the tall grass and to the door, disappearing into the grungy old house.

He stopped a block short and watched her walk into the house. With a pause, he turned around and sped back towards home. She was poor. That actually explained quite a lot, though she looked so out of place. It saddened him greatly. She was always so bright and happy in class... So it had to be her home situation. At least partways... after all, she did try to hide it from him.

I have to help her. he thought to himself, Practicallyrunning into his home. He had to DO something. This wasn't something he could ignore. So he sat down infront of his computer, turned on the DragonForce, and went to work, fingers snapping and tapping and dancing across the board like manic grasshoppers.

He knew he could save her, at least her grades. Then she'd be able to get out of that hole in the wall, away from that horrible neighborhood. Maybe even with him at her side...
N-no! D-don't get distracted again!

The next day at school, Natalie showed up wearing tight jeans, ripped at the bottom and the knees, obviously worn down. She wore a pinstripe vest, under which she had a white blouse. Her tophat still adorned her head, and she'd even put a little makeup on, though she didn't really know why. Perhaps it was to hide the large bruise under her left eye.

People barely looked at her even though her bruise was still plainly visible. She walked through the halls all day, earbuds in, hands jammed into her back pockets. She had another meeting with Mr. Blank after school that day--he'd left a note on her locker saying he wanted to see her. So she stayed quiet all day, not really talking to anyone, barely eating anything for lunch.

After school she went to his classroom, which was empty. She sat in the chair in front of his desk, still listening to her music, fiddling with the little note he'd left her. She didn't know why she'd kept it, but she had. She hoped he wasn't going to ask about the bruise... Obviously he would, but she hoped he wouldn't.

"Hello, Natalie. Please, take a seat." he said softly, a bit more serious this time, his eyes still kind.

"Now, I went and decided to have the science teacher explain the test in question. He'll be here shortly. Before he arrives, I want to ask you a few questions. You don't have to awnser them, just say 'pass' if you feel it's a little too personal. And remember that I'm not going to get mad at you."

He leaned closer to her. "Question one: Where is that bruise from?" he asked softly, his aftershave touching her nose subtly. "Remember, you don't have to awnser if you don't want to..." he reminded her gently. He was excellent at gently getting explanations out of kids.

This was where it was made or broken. If she awnsered truthfully, he could help. If not...Well, he would just have to move on, like usual. If she did... then he could set to work helping her.

Natalie blushed and looked at the floor. He was going to ask her about the bruise, she could feel it. Please don't ask. Please don't ask. Please don't--dammit. She sighed softly when he asked question number one. If she told the truth, there was no doubt in her mind that she would be plucked from her home and put through the foster care system, which she REALLY didn't want to do. It would be an extremely cumbersome and unfortunate process.

"I, ah..." She swallowed hard, her eyes growing slightly wetter. Her fingers gently touched the bruise, which was a sickly dark purple... like an exploded blueberry, only much larger. She wanted to tell him. The only one who knew about her father's bad habits was her brother, but she'd always wanted to confide in someone else, too. Someone who could hug her and kiss her and--but no, Mr. Blank couldn't do that either.

"Mr. Blank, I..." She swallowed hard and looked into his eyes, her body trembling a little. "I-if I tell you, will you promise not to tell anyone else?" She managed, softly, her voice shaking as much as her spindly frame.

He placed a hand on her shoulder, and with his free hand, tipped up the hat to look into her eyes. "I promise." he murmured softly, so only she could hear. Even if it was her father, he had a plan. He wouldn't tell anyone, and take matters into his own hands. He would teach her, help her, make her happy at least here. And if that didn't help...

If that didn't help...

He admitted it. He would help her in his own ways. Not teaching her. Loving her. He'd developed a fondness for this girl beyond schooling or instructing. He wanted to hold her in his arms, kiss her neck gently, and tell her everything was all right. He wanted to make her happy. He wanted to make her smile.

He wanted to give her what he had never had at her age.

Natalie looked back into his eyes--his beautiful eyes. They were so lovely. She could have looked at them forever. Even so, she started crying, and turned her face down towards her lap. The tears rolled down her face quickly, staining her jeans as they fell, her fingers digging into her jeans' fabric. Her body shook harder as she started crying, her frame visibly more hunched than usual.

"When my dad found out about special classes... he..." She sniffled and rubbed her eyes, trying to stop the tears--though it didn't really help. "He hasn't been sober for years... and... wh-when he's mad, he..." She swallowed hard and sniffled again, trying to quiet her shaking form. "h-he grabs the nearest blunt object and smacks me across the face with it..." She blurted the last bit out, then clapped her hands over her mouth and dissolved into tears, her body wracked with quiet sobs.

After a whole minute, she swallowed what was left of her emotions and wiped her eyes on the back of her hand. "M-my mom died when I was little... D-dad was never the same after that..." She managed. The entire time she hadn't looked up at him--as if she were ashamed, as if it were her fault.

"Shhh." he murmured, getting up and gently pulling her into a hug. He pet her hair instinctively, gently letting his fingers slide through the soft silken threads. "It's okay, you can let it all out." he murmured. "I'm rght here, and I won't tell anyone." he gently kissed the top of her head, just under the hat.

Flashes of his own memory came back to haunt him. He was smart by necessity. He father and mother passed away in a car accident. tossed from home to homelike a ball, he quickly learned to adjust and took comfort in the only thing that was a constant: his guitar, and his mind. Then, when he was 18, he broke for college, ending up in a nice dorm full of freinds.

But he was so hollow then, only a conduit for music, haunting and beautiful. His fingers made the hardiest football players cry quietly, and music was the only way he'd found to express himself, when no one would listen.

So of course he felt a kinship with the girl something powerful and strong. He would make her happy, he vowed. He would see her smile and hear her laugh.

When he pulled her into his arms, she hiccuped quietly, not having expected the embrace. It was a wonderful feeling, too--to be held like that, unselfishly, without being kissed or felt up or something. To just be held was... exhilarating, somehow. Like when she had had a mother who loved her and held her when she needed to cry.

Because he was being so nice, she didn't pull away. She let herself be enveloped in his arms for a full ten minutes while her body shook with quiet sobs. She thought to herself, wasn't it bad enough to lose a parent, let alone have the other hit you periodically? It was absurd to her that her angel of mother had fallen in love with such a self-pitying man.

After a very long time, she finally pulled away from him. Her face was streaked with tears, which she promptly tried to wipe off with her sleeve. After a few moments of fidgeting and trying to look decent again, she looked up t him through her eyelashes, tears still budding at the corners of her eyes. "Th-thank you..." She managed, softly. "For... for paying attention to me... even though no one else does..." She felt her heart beating fast against her ribcage as she came to the realization that he must care for her. Not in any particular way, she imagined, but he cared, and it made her... well, it made her confused, as she wasn't used to being cared for. But she was happy, too.

Back
Top Bottom