Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dissonant Hearts (Degusaurusrex x AndrewS)

"Yeah, that works. Gonna be so much stuff to do tomorrow, starting with Danica's shit." She groaned quietly and went back to eating, munching silently through the remainder of her food while gazing thoughtfully at nothing in particular. It didn't seem like there was much more to be said on the matter until everyone (Isen excluded) got some sleep and had a clearer head in the morning. So long as neither of the demons tucked in their catalysts decided to disturb that rest or become obnoxious enough she had to use the last of her energy on shutting them up, she could handle everything in the morning.

Once the food was demolished and everything cleaned up, Adelaide retired back to the bedroom with Isen, settling in with her pajamas and brushing her teeth before getting comfortable seated on the bed. Carrying around the additional presence of a demon was exhausting, and Isen had done it for years and years, she'd only just begun to shoulder the weight of Danica nibbling at her power. Just how much of her magic was the demoness taking to heal herself, anyway?

"How worried should I be about having Danica with me?"

Waiting on his side of the bed, Isen watched her clean up and get ready for sleep before she finally came to join him. She seemed concerned, and though he wished he could easily ease her of that worry, he didn't want to lie to her about how difficult things were becoming now that Danica had become bound to her. "I mean, it's...not ideal." He responded, shaking his head. His eyes glanced down, towards her hand, lingering his gaze upon the ring which now housed a demon within what was, essentially, a battery of near-limitless, dark magic. "If all she's really doing in there is healing up, then I guess it isn't awful, but...do we really trust her enough to believe that's all she would do with that much power?"

"Only if you're an idiot." Ignas added his two cents, caring very little that Danica was listening to Isen's concern and his own response. "She'll bleed that thing dry for everything it's worth and come back even stronger than she was before she got inside of it in the first place. And more obnoxious too."

"But the alternative was letting her die and losing her as an ally. Besides, it was your temper tantrum that injured nearly killed her in the first place."

"Nearly. But not enough."

"My point is, alive, she's useful to us. Her powers are an asset and, let's face it, we're a little short handed here after what happened to Samara..." And Takami wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders either, after all.

"Trading a witch for a demon. We really are at the ends of our rope, aren't we?"

Isen sighed. "Leave us alone now, Ignas. She needs to sleep so we can actually get some work done tomorrow. Save your complaints until morning."

"I know it's not ideal." It was, however, their current reality. "I'm sure she's going to try to suck up more power than she needs, but if she tries to drain too much at once she's just going to hurt me, and then that does none of us any good." She sighed in exasperation when Ignas interjected himself into the conversation, understanding his point but not wanting to listen to anymore banter between the two demons. Danica, oddly enough, kept her mouth shut as Ignas spoke. Probably plotting her revenge while soaking up as much magic as she could.

"Shut your filthy mouth, Ignas. We didn't trade Samara for Danica." Adelaide snapped at the demon and then took a deep breath, exhaling shakily before she shoved the sheets to the side and curled up on the mattress. "No one could replace Samara, you of all people should know you can't just replace a witch that meant something to you. Now be quiet."

Isen sank himself in at Adelaide's side, his eyes shutting, even though he knew he would not sleep. A thousand different possibilities bounced around within his head as he tried to grasp what was really happening here, but, eventually, he felt her easing up, falling asleep. His arm remained around her shoulder as she drifted off, leaving him alone with his thoughts with little hope of silencing them proper.

When morning came, Isen knew it was time for them to get back to work. He pulled himself out of bed at sunbreak, careful not to disturb Adelaide so that she could sleep a little while longer.

"You're going to burn the whole place down again, aren't you? Have you learned nothing?" Ignas asked while Isen gave his second attempt at cooking food for Adelaide, wanting to prepare her a breakfast.

Ignas wasn't entirely wrong, however, as Isen still had little idea of doing this correctly. He received unlikely help, however; Lorelei was also awake early. Maybe it was out of pity, or it was some way for her to make amends, but after poking fun at Isen's terrible culinary habits, she helped him salvage breakfast and then, before Adelaide awoke, she left. She wanted no credit for what she had done, she wanted Adelaide to think it was all Isen. It was a strange feeling working with her, and having her do something so kind. Isen half expected Lorelei to cast a spell on him, or to have done something to the food, but she genuinely seemed like she had wanted to help.

A platter of breakfast foods rested on the table, their pleasant aroma drifting through the air gently, sure to wake her from her slumber soon. After she had finished eating, it was time to take a look around the city, to investigate the blockades and what the DSTF was up to, but they still had a couple of quiet moments to themselves and he didn't want to waste them.

All things considered; Adelaide slept rather soundly that night. Between being thoroughly exhausted from expending so much magic and the pleasant weight and warmth of Isen beside her, she even managed to sleep without any nightmares. What was even more surprising than that, though, was that she woke to the smell of food inside the shop, her eyes opening slowly as she yawned and stretched only to find the bed beside her empty. Of course Isen was already up, it wasn't like he had the human need to sleep like she did. How was he going to adjust to needing it if they succeeded and he was parted from Ignas when this was all over?

"You made breakfast?" The trip to the kitchen and dining area had been slow and groggy, leaving Adelaide looking very much still half asleep with her hair down and yawning. She had definitely smelled the food when she woke up, but had assumed that Nikolai was present and had either made food or ordered food from somewhere. However, Nikolai was nowhere in sight, and the only person she could see in the room was Isen. When had he figured out how to cook this much food?

"It smells good." She padded across the room to where he was, wrapping her arms sleepily around him and resting her head against his chest. "One day we'll be able to actually eat meals together, when this is all over." Danica was still suspiciously quiet, something Adelaide was thankful for as she let go of Isen and made her way to the table to inspect the food.

"It looks really good."

Isen was relieved she seemed to be happy with what he had done, but he wondered whether he should spill the secret that he had some help, or take all of the praise in stride without letting her know of Lorelei's involvement. There was also a chance that Ignas would spill the beans just to spite him, but he didn't seem to have much to say this morning either, not unlike Danica herself.

"I hope it tastes good as well." He added, his arm curling around her back, rubbing up and down slowly as she sleepily pressed her head against his chest. "That would be nice. We've still got a long way to go before we can get there, though." He reminded her, with a sigh. He gave a gentle squeeze before letting her go so she could sit and eat, pulling up a chair beside her to join her at the table even though he wasn't going to consume anything himself.

"Any idea when Isabella will be back?" He asked, making conversation. It would be easier to canvas the city if they had the extra numbers, and he was worried that she might have driven Takami crazy by now. "I'm probably going to start looking around this morning, try to figure out what's up with all the blockades. What do you want to do first?"

"Probably soon. I don't know. I don't even know what time it is."

"Make sure you've completed the spell so she can hear me."

"Danica, let me finish stuffing my face before I have to deal with your shit."

There went that peace, but at least she'd gotten to get a few bites in before the demoness had started, and she still had Isen's company to even out the annoyance of the demons they were both stuck with.

"That sounds like a good idea. I need to cast the spell once I'm done eating, then I'll get dressed and be a little more with it. Probably make some coffee to help me wake up." They didn't exactly have the luxury for her to be tired and unfocused when there were so many things to do, and if she was going to be stuck dealing with two demons and possible other annoyances, she was going to need to be at the top of her game, lest she want to commit more murder.

Isen nodded his head. "You'll have to teach me how to make coffee as well so that I can do it for you. The last time I tried..." He stuck up his nose at the thought of the poor coffee he had ruined that one time before, shaking his head. "I'm surprised you still spoke to me after I destroyed it like that." He laughed, running his hands through his hair. Maybe it was time he actually cleaned himself up a little again, he really didn't take as much care of himself as he needed to. It was a left over from the lack of reliance he had upon typical human conventions, but if he was to go back to normal some day, he needed to start trying harder, if only so that he wouldn't eventually repulse Adelaide, who put genuine effort in keeping up appearances.

She still had some time to spend eating, brewing coffee, and waking herself up for what was to come, so maybe this was his chance.

He stood up from where he was seated and, without a word, wandered off towards the bathroom. Fortunately, for Isen, it was free and there wasn't anyone around to interrupt him. Unfortunately, however, Isen hadn't done any laundry in his life, especially since the last time, he had expected it to be done instantaneously without having to wait. He really had nothing else to change into. The suit Samara had made for them was in tatters and he only had so many pieces of clothes left that weren't in similar shape.

The warm water did little in terms of offering sensation against his skin, but it did clean away the dirt and blood that had accumulated. It felt refreshing, though he didn't really feel anything at all. It was like he could tell his body was happier with him for doing this than it was prior, even if it wasn't a direct reaction. When he was done, he smelt like mint and soap and his long hair was slicked back, still wet, as he didn't really know how to use a hair dryer and wasn't about to ask. A towel wrapped around his waist, covering him from the waist down, as he opened the door to the bathroom, letting out the steam. His upper half was uncovered and still wet from the shower, he really should have been more careful about allowing himself to be seen so freely in such a state, but he was oblivious, as always.

"Do we have any clothing that will fit me?" He called out, for assistance, upon realizing he should have thought this through a little better.

"Let's not talk about the last time you tried." Adelaide made a slight face and stifled a laugh. The smell that had come out of the coffeemaker the last time Isen had tried to make the caffeinated drink... Her nose would never forget it.

"Uh... Okay, bye, I guess." That was typical Isen, disappearing from the room without a word. Adelaide shook her head and continued eating, glancing over periodically as she wondered what he was doing. Ah, a shower, why hadn't she thought of that? It wasn't like he had to do other routine human things, but he did tend to shower when their escapades ended with him filthy. Was he dirty from the previous day, still? She definitely needed coffee to process things, and while he took his time in the bathroom she got the pot brewing a cup to wake her up the rest of the way.

"What's wrong with your clothes?" Adelaide was sipping her coffee when Isen called out from the bathroom, and she made her way there lazily before sputtering and nearly dropping the cup. "Don't you have any clean-- Never mind, you don't know how to do laundry. Okay, this is awkward." Had Nikolai left any clothes she could borrow there, or did she need to call Isabella to rescue her from the awkwardness of the current situation?

"And I thought I was the only one who had to deal with half naked people in awkward situations."

Speak of the devil, and they shall appear.

"Apparently not. Morning to you too, Isabella. Isen, I'll go put your clothes in the wash, just... I guess keep the towel around your waist for now, or a sheet, just don't flash the poor vampire who just got here."

"I don't have any clothes at all." He pointed out, shrugging his shoulders. It was innocent enough on his end; he hadn't thought it through and he needed something to wear, blissfully unaware of his state of undress and whether or not that would cause an awkward situation between the two of them. "You usually take care of this sort of thing..."

A familiar voice broke their conversation. Isen had heard the door open but was focused on trying to solve his current situation, it took him a moment to recognize that Isabella was back, already, joining them in their awkward morning moment. "Doesn't that take hours?" He asked, exasperated by the wait, once more. He tugged at the towel, making sure it was tight around his waist as she requested, sighing as he watched her walk off to do the laundry. He had wanted to get an early start on their investigation, but that didn't appear to be in the cards anymore.

"Hello, Isabella. Did Takami give you any trouble last night?" Isen asked, speaking casually despite the current situation, remaining unaffected.

"We'll buy you new clothes." Adelaide called back as she disappeared to gather up all of his dirty clothing. The man really didn't have that much, but at least she knew a plethora of different spells and could easily get him more. Maybe Nikolai could even help with that when he returned, a man would certainly be the better choice for picking out clothes for his own gender! If Samara had still been there, she likely would have dolled Isen up in something she thought to draw Adelaide's attention, but with the witch gone from their lives they were left on their own.

"Doesn't he always give someone trouble?" Isabella huffed slightly, color staining her cheeks at the mention of the other man. "He's too stubborn for his own good, and with his health declining as it is..." She trailed off with a slightly distraught expression. "Things would be so much easier if he was a Dissonant and immune to the normal things that ravage humans."

"He's too proud for that. He'd rather die than become a Dissonant." Isen responded, knowing Takami well enough now to be able to say that with certainty. "Did he tell you of the deal that we made?" Isen asked, curious as to how much was actually confided into Isabella by him, especially if they were spending some time together on their own. "The reason we met him in the first place was because he wanted my sword. It prevents me from dying, that sort of made it the perfect counter to his illness." Isen continued, sighing with a shrug of his shoulders. He felt the towel slipping and had to quickly adjust to grab it and pull it back into place.

"After we've finished our mission, I was going to give Onigoshi to him, as long as Adelaide can break the binding magic Ignas placed on me. It might be able to save his life." Isen left out the details of him and Adelaide, and how he felt like he had a reason to hold on. That wasn't a conversation for now, but she Isabella was smart enough to probably infer it on her own. "So, all may not be lost yet...and it's the only way I can think to save his life, but I can't turn Onigoshi over until I know Adelaide is safe,and Maximilian is dead. We just need to figure it out." And the sooner, the better.

Last edited:
"Yes, I'm quite aware of his stupid pride and how it's going to kill him." Isabella's irritation was evident as she looked around, impatiently waiting for Adelaide to return as Isen asked her another question. "What deal?" She crossed her arms over her chest and narrowed her eyes. What the hell had those two been up to while everyone else had been busy planning and running attacks against the DSTF?

"He most definitely did not tell me that." Had he? That was something she swore she would have remembered hearing about if he had. "It sounds like it's the only way to save him that he would agree with. Stubborn bastard and his pride." Isabella huffed just as Adelaide came back into the room, causing the blonde to give her a curious look as she finished the food she'd snagged on the way back from starting laundry.

"Something about Maximilian dead? Sounds good to me. Isabella, why do you look so annoyed? Did Isen say some dumb shit, or are you scowling because he's standing around in a towel? Man truly doesn't understand the way laundry works, so it's gonna be like that until I either go get him clothes, or Nikolai shows up and saves the day."

"I'm not scowling because your boyfriend is mostly naked, I don't care about that." Isabella dismissed the thought entirely, but Adelaide's cheeks were already a dark pink as she glanced at what was definitely a mostly naked Isen. He was her boyfriend, for lack of a better term, wasn't he? Their situation was unlike anything she had ever thought to experience, but they were getting by day by day.

"I'm scowling because your boyfriend just told me about the deal he made with Takami."

"...Ah. That's men for you, girl. That's men for you."

Isen kind of figured Takami wouldn't have filled her in. Even though they were getting closer, he suspected most of that was currently Isabella's doing and that he was oblivious of the vampire's obvious feelings for him. Isen chuckled a little upon seeing her reaction. "The sooner we end this, the faster we save his life. If that doesn't light a fire underneath you, I don't know what will."

Adelaide came back into the room and seemed to blame him for the look of annoyance on Isabella's face. "I didn't do anything." He defended himself, raising his hands. This, of course, caused the towel to slip once more, so he quickly scrambled to pin it back into place, awkward as ever in doing so. The fact that she was throwing around the word "boyfriend" so liberally threw him for a bit of a loop. They never really made anything official, after all, and perhaps would never be in a position to do so until all of the craziness with the DSTF had subsided. Still, he watched her reaction, curious to how she'd respond, finding a pink glow plastered across her cheeks at the mention.

"Again, I did nothing wrong, I only told her what she deserved to know."
Isen continued to protest, shaking his head. "Where are my clothes...?" He asked, making it seem as though he, once more, expected them to be finished already. "And where are our annoying demons? They're suspiciously quiet this morning..."

"They're in the laundry, Isen. I can't just magically make them clean. I mean, if I learned some spell for it I could, but I still have other work to do." He was right, both demons were incredibly quiet, something that didn't last even a full minute after his observation.

"I had to wait for our food obsessed little witch to eat so she could do the spell. Come now, let's make it so that our lovely vampire can hear me, and then you can deal with that mostly naked man of yours." Again her attention was drawn to Isen's state of undress, and Adelaide heard Danica laughing inside her head as her cheeks heated up again. Damn demon.

"Fine, let's get this stupid spell over with and then I'm calling Nikolai to bring over some damn pants. If his won't fit, he'll know someone whose will. I don't care, I'm not waiting around all day and I'm not letting Isen run around naked and scar anyone." Not that it would scar her, but there was no reason to think about what it might look like if the towel fell to the floor!

"Repeat after me." Adelaide reluctantly listened to the demon speak to her, repeating the words once she had taken a deep breath and closed her eyes. It was really so simple to allow Isabella to hear her? Something about it felt... Off.

"There. Can you hear me now, my lovely vampire?"

"Huh, neat."

"There, done. I'm calling Nikolai." Adelaide made a face and retrieved her phone, cradling it against her ear as she made her way back to the kitchen for another cup of coffee. If Danica was going to start chattering the moment she was able to converse with the vampire, this was going to be a long, long day.

"He'll be over in ten minutes and will bring clothes."

"Right..." Isen grumbled. He just wanted to get dressed and get started on his reconnaissance, but that wasn't going to happen just yet, it seemed. He watched, with intrigue, as Adelaide began to listen to Danica, who decided now was the time to start talking again.

"I'm still here too." Ignas chimed in, reminding Isen of his presence. "Just letting you malt in the awkward situation you've put yourself in." Isen could practically here the condescension in Ignas' voice.

"Okay. You can go away again now." He fired back, annoyed already.

The spell seemed to work, as Isabella responded to being able to hear Danica's voice. Now, maybe, she'd shut up about it. Isen didn't really understand why she liked Isabella so much, to be honest, they barely knew each other. Given her closeness to Takami, it was concerning, to say the least, that Danica was taking so much interest in the one person other than Isen that Takami seemed to tolerate being around. He would keep a close eye on this strange relationship.

Nikolai would be bringing clothes? That was a good thing, unless it was something awful, but it wasn't like Isen had much fashion sense or any concerns about that sort of thing, anyways. And what was one more person to add to his pity party of standing around, practically naked, waiting for someone to dress him. He moved closer to Adelaide, he felt more comfortable there, despite the fact that his obvious lack of clothing probably made her anything but.

"You better keep a good hold on that towel." She'd barely returned with her coffee when Isen was shifting closer to her, and it took all of her restraint not to take another peek, especially with Isabella giving her a knowing look and Danica snickering inside her head. Thankfully, the time until Nikolai's arrival passed with little incident, and she all but bolted to snatch the clothing from him and thrust it into Isen's arms.

Nikolai looked slightly taken aback at the speed Adelaide displayed in her quest to clothe her partner, but after a moment to process it and a look exchanged with the vampire, his lips parted and he gave Isabella a knowing look before shaking his head. He didn't exactly have the right to be butting into his niece's personal life after going so long without seeing her, and she was an adult now, on top of the fact that despite Isen's reputation, he didn't get any overly negative feelings from him. From the demon attached to him, yes, but from the man himself, not so much.

"I take it you've had an interesting morning." Adelaide gave him a look in return, opening her mouth to speak before her particular demon decided to pipe up instead.

"She's been busy staring at her boyfriend since he's got no clothes on."

"Danica, shut the--"

"I didn't need to know that."

Both Nikolai and Adelaide stopped at almost the same moment, looking at each other with a bewildered expression before Adelaide cursed.

"...Danica. Why can he hear you?"

"So, I may not have been entirely truthful about that spell..."

Isen practically had clothes thrown at him and he snuck away into one of the side rooms to finally get changed. He was glad to wear something other than a towel, at least they wouldn't stare at him so awkwardly. It wasn't exactly his style, if Isen even had a style. It was a little more put-together, like something that probably cost quite a bit of money, but was clearly a hand-me-down that Nikolai had used before. The shirt was sleek and black, with white buttons dotting down across the chest and the pants were a similar color. They seemed to fit well enough, and with his recently washed hair, he was actually cleaning up pretty well, even if it was a bit messy and un-styled.

He walked back outside to display his new wardrobe, but found himself interrupting something else entirely. "Hear who?" Isen asked, before connecting the dots, looking between Adelaide and Nikolai.

"Told you she couldn't be trusted."
Ignas gloated, speaking for the first time in hours, just to rub it in.

"...what did she do?"

"Wait until you hear it from her. You're both going to feel so stupid." Ignas continued.

"You knew?"

"Of course I knew."

"And you kept it all to yourself so what, you could rub it in my face later? Seriously Ignas, you make no sense. You wanted us to hunt down that witch, and now we're going to be busy running interference to whoever Danica sasses next. My life is a nightmare." Adelaide groaned, setting down her coffee and rubbing at her eyes tiredly. At least she'd gotten to fill her belly before the drama started, but it was looking to be a very long, very complicated day. The spell itself was sorted, albeit in a way she hadn't intended, but they still needed to investigate what was going on in the city, and at some point try to track down Ignas' long lost witch. When everything was said and done at the end of this, she never, ever wanted to see or hear another demon again.

"Fuck it, I give up at this point. We're stuck with these annoying demons, and we have work to do. Nikolai, what have you lot got Lorelei doing?"

"She's mostly under lock and key, although she was out earlier and we haven't quite figured out where she went, didn't cause any trouble, though." Nikolai glanced at Isen and raised an eyebrow as if to hint he knew exactly where Lorelei had been earlier, then returned to the conversation with Adelaide oblivious to it all. "Currently we'll have her giving any information or input into what might be going on in the city. We just have to make sure she doesn't get away and back to the DSTF... Although after what Maximilian did, I don't think she has any interest."

"Would either of you have believed me in the first place? You seem to trust her a hell of a lot more than you trust me." Ignas practically grumbled.

Isen's head turned towards Nikolai, meeting his glance slightly, as he began to talk about Lorelei, his unlikely partner-in-breakfast from earlier in the morning. "Yeah, I don't think she's going back to them any time soon. As dangerous as she is, and for all the trouble she's caused...I think it's a good thing that we have her on our side. At least for now. After this is all over, we can decide whether or not she deserves a second chance."

Takami was lurking around the doorway, peeking inside. He saw Isabella and then ducked away from the door frame, almost like he was avoiding her. Isen heard the awkward shuffling but made no mention of it.

"I'm dressed. Adelaide has eaten. I think it's time to go take a look at what they're doing out there."
Isen had been itching to finally do some investigating for a while now, their plans derailed by his wardrobe issue. Now that everything had been squared away, they could finally try to figure out the next step in the DSTF's plan.

If Isabella had seen Takami lurking and then ducking away, she gave no indication past the slight turn of her head before she turned back to the conversation at hand. It hurt, knowing that he'd kept the deal between him and Isen a secret from her when she'd expressed her concern for his decaying condition. Did he not trust her enough to disclose that, or had he worried it would never happen and she would get her hopes up for nothing? Oh, she was going to have words with him later!

"What do you want me to do? I can come with you."

"No, stay here and keep an eye on the shop with Nikolai in case anything happens. For all we know, they could be staking out the shop. Wouldn't be the first time they found us, so I'd rather not leave this place unprotected."

Maybe it was her imagination, but Adelaide could swear Isabella look almost relieved at the instruction. Maybe she just wanted to stay with Takami after she'd just found out new information.

"Keep your eyes peeled and your phones near. Isen and I will check in when we find out more."

Isen agreed with Adelaide's order towards Isabella, and she didn't seem to argue too much either. He began to wonder if perhaps he had sat poor Takami up for quite the tongue-lashing with what he had revealed, but she needed to know eventually...and maybe it was just Isen's human side showing through yet again, messing with his head. At the very least, everybody here would be safe and sound for another couple of hours at least while they, and their demon tagalongs, did the heavy lifting on the investigation.

He waited near the illusory wall at the entrance of Samara's shop and walked out into the hallway with her once she was ready to leave.

"So, we need to check out those blockades but we also need to make sure we aren't getting ourselves caught..."

"And the witch has something she needs to help me with as well." Ignas added, referring to his own witch-related problems.

"...yes. But I think we should stick together, just in case something happens. It seems like they've blocked every single entrance and exit in and out of Cresthaven. I really don't like this, I think there's something going on here that we need to be concerned about."

"You know, I can't do everything at once, Ignas. I did a lot yesterday, which by the way, was your fault I had to put Danica in the ring and got wiped out as a result. Then I had to do that stupid spell this morning so that now everyone has to hear this obnoxious she-demon I'm stuck with, and I still have to make sure we don't get caught and find your long-lost witch lover. I'm only human, magic or not, and I cannot do everything at once." Adelaide huffed, rubbing at her face before taking a deep breath and stepping outside of the shop with Isen.

"Isen is right. We need to figure out what they're doing. If we can't even get out of the city without suspicion, we can't really deal with hunting down your witch. Sure, I can teleport, but if I'm doing that every time we need to go somewhere, I'm going to be tapped out soon and I'll be no good to anyone, much less for you insisting I do something for you."

"So, shut up and let us get to work." Isen surmised, succinctly. Ignas groaned in his head.

"Very well." He responded. Isen cast a look towards Adelaide, brow raised. He wasn't expecting him to give up so easily.

Isen led Adelaide towards the eastern edge of the city, showing her that he was slowly getting better at learning how to navigate more modern streets. He was a far cry away from when he needed to wear her headphones just to block out the noise of the cars whizzing back and forth on the street

Keeping their distance and peering from alleyway, it was clear to see the checkpoint that had been sat up. It crossed the entire street, barring it with two large, metallic posts generating a magical field back and forth between each. There was nothing getting past that, and it appeared as though the rest of the exits out of the city, the smaller ones, were also fenced off to prevent anybody from sneaking out through the side. Guards were on standby, and the systems near the blockades appeared equipped for scanning. "What are they up to...?" He asked her, underneath his breath, as he observed. "It really can't be as simple as trying to keep everybody inside, right? Or us?" It was a lot of work, and disturbance, for just two people, even if they were wanted. "Can either of you get a read on anything here?"

Isen was clearly getting better at navigating, a realization that made Adelaide smile as she saw how much he was progressing in their short time together. It was a good sign, one that made her hopeful for the progress of the future once she had successfully separated him from Ignas. To teach him to follow human habits now was one thing, but for him to truly experience them and need them to survive was another thing entirely.

"The closed the entire street, fuck." She muttered to herself, staring at the forcefield brimming with magic that would stop any stragglers from passing by. Even someone with control over magic would need to put some serious effort into bypassing the barrier, and even if they managed it would likely alert whoever was surveying the area of their wrongdoing.

"I don't know, maybe they're scanning people and letting the normal people through? I don't know. Unless they shut down all communication inside the city, it's not like people can't talk about what's going on here to people outside of the city." She shook her head.

"The question is, what exactly are they scanning for? Us, or Danica?"

Back
Top Bottom