Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dissonant Hearts (Degusaurusrex x AndrewS)

AndrewS

Star
"...every single day?"

"Every single day. He just stands there, in the freezing cold, staring at that grave stone."

"That's a little weird, don't you think?"

From a hundred yards back, three abnormally large figures stood at the front of the village graveyard, not passing beneath the arch that designated entrance but rather peering beyond the division it created. A single line of foot prints, pressed into the soft, recently fallen snow, proceeded to weave around grave stones until they arrived where the man in question stood. He was silent, stoically so, looking upon the grave directly in front of him, as he had every day for the past several weeks.

"What do ya think his deal is, anyways? He just rolls into town and hangs around the graveyard like some creep. No one knows his name, he doesn't talk to anyone. You think he's human?"

"He'd have to be an awfully stupid one to hang around here. Ain't nothing but monsters and rejects around these parts."

"Speak for yourself. I ain't no monster, I just ain't got no other place to be. There's no where safe anymore for folks like us."

"He kind of reminds me of that story, y'know, the one with the creepy demon?"

The largest of the three scoffed at the idea. "You're not tellin' me you believe that shit, d'you?"

"What story?" Asked their third, whom had been quiet throughout the entire conversation, simply observing the man in the distance.

"Oh, boy, here we go again."

"Shut up and let me tell him about it, will ya?"

A small lull fell upon the conversation as snow began to fall once more. Fluttering, tiny flakes descended from a clouded sky, filling in the dips created by the foot prints on the ground as though they had never been made in the first place. Flakes began to catch on the haired ears of the watchers, their fur-bound skin providing them an insulation against winter's chill that the man in the distance who stood within the graveyard did not seem to have the luxury of. Yet, he seemed to show no sign of discomfort from the cold, it was as though he weren't affected at all.

Within his head, he was reliving a memory, fully aware that he was being watched but unconcerned with whom it was doing the watching. He had little fear left inside of his body and even less desire to spend feeling it.

It was difficult to find a reason to be afraid when not even time itself can punish you for your sins.

~~~

Isen felt the blade pass through his rib cage, carving deeply into his body as though his skin and bones provided no resistance whatsoever to it's edge. As his blood began to exit the wound he had inflicted, it formed into a crimson pool at his feet and he fell onto his knees to meet it.

"Have you learned nothing yet?" A voice within his head taunted him, speaking words that only Isen could hear. "You are immortal. You cannot die. How many times must you inflict harm upon yourself before you finally accept this gift that you have been given?"

Clutching the handle, Isen tried to push the sword even deeper into his sternum, as if doing so would somehow cause enough pain to shut up the voice speaking to him. It was, however, little use, and the blade seemed to force itself back out against his weakened push. Purple and white energy began to manifest from the blade itself, appearing like small specs of dust, rotating around one another like a pack of butterflies fluttering from the base of the weapon to the wound it had inflicted, covering the surface with a glow of the same color that seemed to mend the damage as though his skin had never been punctured with intent to harm.

For Isen, this was the third time today that he had tried to leave the world of the living. His first attempt came at the precipice of a jagged cliff face which he had plunged himself over and the second came in the form of a fall into the unforgiving current of a rocky, raging river. Now, by the tip of the very same blade that had sealed his fate, he had tried, and subsequently failed, to take the life he no longer wished to live. With guilt and regret heavy in his heart, he figured it simple to stop it from beating, to slow his breathing with indescribable pain until he finally found peace.

But peace was not meant to be his, nor did he deserve it.

~~~

"So, you think that's him? The demon?"

"I don't know, could be. It kinda lines up, don't you think? A traveling demon with a devil's sword who can't die...drifting between towns, killing as he pleases with no concern for life, human or other wise. A grim reaper, omen of death, bringer of de-"

"...I think all this snow is freezin' up your brains.

"Would it kill you to have an imagination for once?"

"Why would I spend my time thinking about that? This world is already fucked up enough as it is for folks like us. I don't need to think about demons and monsters bein' real, they've been huntin' us for ten years."

It had been ten years since the world had become aware. Ten years since life had changed for both humans and those of supernatural origin. When humans learned of the existance of creatures unlike themselves, it had given validity to every single story that couldn't be explained; monsters in the forest, the things that go bump at night, urban legends thought to be foolish tales intended to scare children.

Fear was inevitable. And fear was motivation.

A sect of the government had been created, rather swiftly, to form contingency plans against what they couldn't understand or control. As natural a reaction as any in the face of an unnatural threat, they sat out to find their weakness and put them down before it became a problem. For lycanthropes and vampires, spirits and demons, there seemed to be but one common thread connecting them all; magic was their Achilles heel.

And thus began the first phase of their plan. Mages, those who practiced in magic long before the grand reveal, were hunted down and forced to use their abilities to craft traps and weapons capable of destroying what the government had deemed as "Dissonants", unwanted beings who were different than humanity. In secret, they forced those fluent in the arcane to turn their spells against those considered Dissonant, while the public believed this culling to be in the name of public safety and protection.

It wasn't a surprise that three werewolves, seeking refuge in a small village away from the watch of the powers that be, seemed to take interest in the sudden appearance of a human in a place full of castaway Dissonants. Why would a human willingly choose to live amongst the very creatures that had instilled so much fear into an entire world's populace? And with all the humans had taken away from them, it seemed foolish to surround himself with powerful beings who had every reason to hate him and his kind.

And yet, Isen stood alone, unshaken and unbothered by weather or company alike.

"Come on, I'm tired of this. Let 'em freeze. Demon or not, if he wants to stay outside in a snowstorm, the more power to 'em."

The three turned away from the graveyard and began their trek back towards the small, adjacent village, hoping to beat out the inclement weather before the path ahead became shrouded in the thick squall of a blizzard.

And yet, he remained steady. His eyes, golden, transfixed upon the lettering engraved into the stone before him. Resting beneath the white blanket that had covered the ground were a pair of graves dug side by side. On the left, the writing read his own name; "Isen Hiyori". However, Isen seemed more interested in name of the person laid to rest on the other side.

"Meribell Hiyori.
Loving daughter and sister.
2021-2029."

Isen was aware that his guests had left him alone but that annoying voice in his head thought it a good time now to make him aware of another visitor who was approaching their position through the fledgling storm.

"Someone else is coming. A girl. Hm, this one's interesting...Isen, shall we say hello?"

Isen's silence answered that with a resounding "no".

Did anyone know the damn man's name for certain? Adelaide had heard name after name, title after title of this supposed demon that was becoming rather well known, but how was she supposed to find him without a name? By following the rumors, apparently. She had been seeking this man for weeks now, trekking through the seemingly endless snow in search of someone who might help her. If the rumors were true, and he was what they said he was, then she needed to find him now, before the bastards tracked her down and either locked her up or killed her.

It had been.. A decade, now? Time was hard to maintain those days now that she was on the run again. For years, years she had lived a normal life even after having her family torn away from her. For years she had lived safely, securely, had made friends and pretended like the tragedy had never happened. Then it had all gone to hell the day she found her front door broken and her apartment rifled through, and her own safe haven outside of home being torn apart and littered with corpses. Her friends, why had they saw fit to murder her friends just to get to her?

Her search had led her to this village, filled with creatures she was sure couldn't possibly be human. It was fitting that this was where she would find this demon everyone spoke of, tucked away from the filth of humanity and hidden amongst the snow. The very, very cold snow that her boots were currently crunching through, the wind blasting against her face and nearly stealing her breath away. Why did it have to be somewhere outside?

She shook her head, tugging her hood back over her bright hair and continued to tread through the snow. Now all she had to do was convince a demon to aid her, how hard could that be? Oh, who was she kidding? If this man was as powerful as people claimed he was, treating him like some sort of bogeyman, then there was every chance he would slaughter her on the spot. She had nothing but her life to lose, and everything to gain from sweettalking a demon into helping her murder the bastards who had ruined her life.

"You're a hard man to find." Finally, she could spot the lone figure standing in front of a grave. Gloating over one of the kills he'd made? She made no effort to look at the grave itself, stopping several feet away from the man and tucking her hands into her pockets. Damn, it was cold. Why had her luck given her a snowstorm to make things messier than they already were?

"I need your help, demon." She paused, shuffling between feet as she shivered from the cold. "Don't worry, I wouldn't come all this way and track down a feared demon if it didn't have something in it for you. You like to kill, right? I'll let you kill as many people as you want if you help me to get just a small group of people that would probably see you dead anyway."

Isen's grip fell to his side, his fingers curling around the handle of his blade, ready and willing to draw it from it's sheathe at the first sign that whoever it was that had been foolish enough to approach them posed any threat. It wasn't that he was concerned; there was little she or anyone could do to end his misery and if she had the capability of doing so, she would simply be doing him a favor. Instead, Isen had become so used to the bloodshed and the killing that it was almost second nature for him to reach for his weapon, to ready himself to steal the life of yet another poor soul caught in the wake of the curse that bound him to this world.

He heard her voice loud and clear, despite the wind and snow that had begun to swirl around them both; perks of the heightened senses granted to him by the demon he had become. Though she was speaking directly to him, he showed little desire to turn and face the source of the sound and instead, kept his sight line forward, still lingering the golden hue of his eyes onto the grave stone he had been watching. It was doubtful whether or not he would even grace her with a response and why would he even consider it? It wasn't like he wanted to kill, it was an urge that he struggled to control and the pesky voice inside of his head, stemming from the root of the dark magic that had transformed him into this monster, didn't help matters much.

"I sense great power from this one, Isen. Nothin' we can't take care of, of course. Shall we see what she is capable of?"

Again, Isen remained silence, once more answering the unseen voice with a 'no', though the thought was, admittedly, a little tempting. Great power? Was she a monster like him? Or was she one of those magic-wielders who had been manipulated and used to tear this world asunder? He seemed to dislike the former more so than the latter.

The intruder continued to speak to him and he heard every world above the squall of the blizzard, scoffing at the thought of anybody needing his help. Of course, the only aid she required from him was his blade and his bloodlust, she wanted him to kill for her. It was clear to Isen that she knew nothing of who he really was, only the stories that had been passed around regarding him and what it was he had done.

He could remain quiet. He could correct her. Or, he could simply cut her down the way he had done so many others. He was weighing the options accordingly.

"She's bold. But, it's been a while since we've taken a life....sure sounds like fun, doesn't it?"

Slowly, Isen began to turn to face the woman speaking to him. Even through the snow fall, he could see that she wasn't at all like what he expected. To be so bold as to approach him, even with some knowledge of what it was he is, he had expected a warrior like himself or some sort of Dissonant but she seemed nothing more than a regular girl. That all but confirmed his prior thought process to be true; she was one of them. She was a mage and there was magic coursing through her veins, magic that had been used and abused by the cruel hearted to police fear and suffering to all who were deemed different. Isen fell under that category now as well, though it had been quite some time since the powers that be had bothered him. They knew he could not be killed nor could he be manipulated, they would prefer to pretend as though he didn't exist at all and he was nothing more than a folk tale.

"You speak as though you know me but then suggest something so uneducated."

Isen's vision narrowed onto her. He was watching her, observing her. He was trying to see what she was really after and if this supposed 'great power' inside of her would be used as a threat for his failure to comply to her request.

"The stories you have heard of me, they're probably true. All of them. But you're wrong about one thing. I do not like to kill." Isen simply told her in retort, a slight shake to his head, his fingers falling away from their anchored point atop the handle of his sword. "It is an urge. A...calling. A by-product of what it is I have become. I have taken more lives than can be counted and I have spilled more blood than I could ever remember. While it is true that there are those out there who wish to see me dead..." He hesitated, knowing that he himself, ironically, fell into that category. "...they have tried before and they will try again and never will they obtain what it is they wish for. You have nothing to offer me aside from your life itself and if you wish to keep it, I suggest you head back to wherever you came from and leave me alone."

"Oh, this should be interesting..." The voice inside of Isen's head chimed, waiting anxiously to see what she would say next to the warning Isen had made so clear.

Last edited:
Was he mute? The rumors never said anything about that, and if that was the case then she had a big problem on her hands. It wasn't until he'd fully turned to face her that she caught sight of his eyes and froze, fixating on the strange color before her lips curved upward into a smile. So, at least some of the rumors were true. Humans didn't have eyes like that, so even if he wasn't the demon they claimed him to be, he was definitely not human, either.

"Oh good, you can speak." That relief on her face was visible even as he chastised her, and she shrugged as he stared at her. Was she supposed to apologize? There were a million and one rumors about this man floating around the different cities, not all of them could be true. The only way for her to know what was true or untrue was to speak to him herself, so there she was, although he was clearly displeased with her presence.

"Is that supposed to scare me?" She had nothing but that to lose, and a life on the run wasn't exactly a very thrilling one. What was the point of it, when she couldn't even have a normal life, couldn't have friends for fear the past would repeat itself over and over again?

"If I die, I die. They've taken everything from me. My family, my friends, any chance at a normal life I have. If you think I'm going to be scared away because of that," She gestured to the sword, "Then you're sorely mistaken. If you were going to kill me you would have already done it, and since I'm still standing here I'm not exactly concerned about that." What she was concerned about was the snow that was whipping around them.

"I could care less whether you are frightened or not. The sentiment remains the same, leave if you value your life or stay and make this graveyard your home as well."

Isen's tone was cold, colder than the bitter, frigid wind of the blizzard that was continuing to pick up in force. This girl was stubborn, that was clear. She seemed unafraid, even though she should have had every reason to fear. She continued to press at Isen with her words, standing steadfast despite his threat.

"I like this one. This might sound strange coming from me but maybe we shouldn't kill her. She may be of use to us after all."

Isen continued to ignore the voice, as he always did, and instead remained focused on the person standing in front of him. Even after all of that, she still wanted his help? He was right, she was a fool.

"I don't know who 'they' are but the life you have lost is of little concern to me. We have all lost something in this world, some of us more than others. You are not special, you are just another victim."

How dare she be so willing to throw away her life like that. She was practically taunting him. At least she had the choice. She wasn't bound to an endless life, her time was finite. This was how she chose to spend it? He was offended she would even speak to him about it.

"I am not some instrument for you to use to get revenge nor do I feel any desire to sympathize with you or your past. Now, if you are done, return to whe-"

"Isen, we have company."

Isen stopped in the middle of his sentence, having been interrupted, something which must have looked very peculiar to the onlooking girl. He began once more.

"Return to where you've co-"

"Isen." The voice repeated, this time with a much more urgent tone. This time, Isen listened. "Somebody else is here. I can sense them. Can't you?"

Isen's eyes shut and he focused his senses past the blaring of the storm. When he honed his hearing like this, he could tune in on even the faintest of sounds. He could hear a heartbeat, likely hers, hammering in her chest, perhaps in an attempt to provide enough blood flow to combat the chill against her skin or maybe betraying her fearless nature. Beyond that, he could hear something more...foot steps, heavy, imprinting themselves into the snow several meters behind the girl. Isen couldn't hear any more beating hearts but something was clearly coming their way, several somethings, in fact. He knew they weren't Dissonant but they couldn't be normal humans either. How peculiar.

The demon's eyes shot open and in an instant, he bounded forward with surprising speed, undeterred by the storm. He moved past the girl without delay, likely startling her or making her fear he had prepared to strike her. Instead, he continued past her, drawing his blade and swinging it forward, cutting through the wall of white. It made contact and sliced through whoever was on the other side and they fell forward, emerging out of the storm and landing face down onto the snow. Blood pooled out through the gash made in their protective uniform, staining the ground crimson. From his hand fell some sort of gun though it wasn't a typical firearm; it was an assault rifle but there appeared to be some sort of see-through cannister imbedded inside of it where an energy swirled inside, arcane in nature, dancing and fighting against the transparent surface to break free.

Holding his weapon aloft, it dripped with the essence of the life he had stolen. It caused the sharp sword to almost pulse with a black hue that seemed to dance along the surface of the blade's length, straight down to the handle where Isen's gripped had steadied around the cloth woven about the surface. The hilt of the weapon had a strange design but the craftsmanship was rather intricate and impressive. A design had been etched into it, one that seemed to form a runic language with similar runes inscribed into the base of the blade, giving off a white and purple glow as the black energy inside the sword met at the base. Was the weapon absorbing the life it had stolen or was it simply languishing in the thrill of tasting fresh blood and claiming yet another life?

Isen knew the answers to that but he had not the time to explain them nor the desire to do so. There were more figures waiting in the storm and they were now no doubt alerted to the threat that awaited them, making them aware that they had followed this girl not just into a snow storm but into something they were not expecting; something feral and dangerous.

"Finally." The voice from the sword spoke, gorging on the violence. "More! Kill them all!"

Bounding forward once more, further into the snow and out of the girl's line of sight, Isen obliged with command.

"I never said I was special. We're all victims to something." He had the logic of a human, in a way, and he didn't look that different, although it was easy for her to feel the magic coming from him even through the chill and the anger he clearly held. "No one is free from the sorrows of life," She shrugged.

"I'm not leaving." Why had he stopped so suddenly? When he went to repeat himself she gave him an annoyed look and stepped forward again, and then halted just as quickly. Something was wrong. Something was very, very wrong.

"What the hell are you doing?!" She hissed the words and jolted back, half expecting the blade to slice through her own flesh rather than whatever he was aiming at. She could feel it--Not the blade, that is--but the magic that was rapidly approaching them, and clearly with ill intent. Yes, something was very wrong, and she could feel the dread building up so rapidly it felt as if someone was squeezing her tightly.

"Oh, hell." Adelaide thought she had been more careful getting there, thought the snow had covered her tracks better, but the distinctive smell of magic coming from the maimed body told her otherwise. Except, now that she moved closer to it, she saw the magic wasn't coming from the person, but from the weapon they'd held. Damn the bastards, they'd succeeded in making more weapons and now they'd found her. Like hell she was going to allow them to take her and use her for the same purpose.

"And here I thought you didn't like to kill.." She muttered under her breath as the man took off through the snow, her fingers probing at the cannister the magic was held in. An unintentional gift from them, one that she intended to utilize in this apparent fight. If he decided to come after her after killing the rest of them, she was going to need all the magic she could get.

The canister dropped to the snow once she'd gotten what she needed from it and she inhaled sharply, tasting the magic she'd stolen from it and working to form it into something of her own design. There was even more of it the further into the snow she ventured, although it was scattered among the blood and bodies left in the wake of this demon. Was she even going to have anything left to do? There was so much snow around them she could barely see two feet in front of her, that was something was going to need remedied. Did she waste the magic she had stolen on creating a line of vision, or did she save it and hope she had a chance to use it on the next enemy she stumbled upon?

"Hell with it." It felt strange using someone else's magic again, the tingle of it working through her body as she channeled and shaped it into something that broke through the snow in front of her. "Bloody hell." The sight of the demon working through people like they were nothing was both fearsome and thrilling at the same time, and by the time she'd gotten close to him she was grinning and laughing.

"You're exactly what I need." She spoke more to herself than to the demon itself, spotting another rifle in the hands of a man mere feet from her. A real gun would have been more terrifying in that moment, but the moment he pulled the trigger she was already pulling at the magic twisting and dancing out from within the canister. He could choke on it. Anyone in the company of that government was an enemy, and a part of her felt very smug as she watched him begin to stutter and choke on the magic she'd turned against him. Even the blue seeping into his skin didn't deter her in the slightest, nor did the gasping or the way that he scratched at his chest as though it would restore breath to his lungs.

"You can all rot." Now where was that sword swinging bastard?

Isen bounced from foe-to-foe as though the resistance of the snow and wind did nothing to slow him down. It was graceful, in a twisted fashion, how elegant and calculated his movements were, especially at the speed by which they were being performed. His sword was more than sharp enough to cleave through each of the attackers and with every life he stole, it continued to react as if feeding off of the bloodshed, causing the runic symbols at the hilt of the blade to glow brighter.

He could hear the girl following him through the storm and he could sense power coming from her. She was using magic. Isen glanced over his shoulder as she cut through the storm, parting the white wall so that she could step through, likely to follow him. This would let her see the destruction he had left in his wake but she already knew what he was, it was her purpose for searching for him, he cared not for the horrors he had left behind.

"Isen, look..." The voice told him and thus, Isen caught wind of what the girl was doing.

She had stolen the magic fired from one of the weapons and had manipulated it to her will. He had never seen anything like it before and judging by the silence of his often-talkative friend, that could be said for him as well. How could she do such a thing and do it so effortlessly?

"And here I thought you didn't like to kill.."

Though it was something she had muttered underneath her breath, he had heard it too and it was swirling around in his head. He had told her that he didn't and truthfully, it was not something that he enjoyed, but he had little choice. With the curse of eternal life came a transition. Isen's life as a human had ended and he had been forced to adjust to his new existence as a demon. Unfortunately, the only guide he had was the voice within his head, a conscience which had invaded his own, speaking to him from within the very blade that had cursed him to begin with. And that voice wanted chaos and violence, that voice had taught Isen that being a demon came with an insatiable bloodlust and the only way to calm that hunger was to kill.

And so he did.

This was different, however. Isen knew very well who these men were, it was obvious the moment his blade carved through his first victim. They were members of the government organization that had thrown this world into turmoil and they certainly weren't here for him, they were following that girl. He didn't get the sense that she was purposely deceiving him or leading them here and from what she had told him, he could pretty easily deduce that the 'they' she spoke of were one and the same with the group that had tracked her through the storm. If there were any lives he could say he did enjoy claiming, it would be those belonging to members of the DSTF.

The Dissonant Suppression Task Force had been established by the government to use their arcane weapons to police Dissonants who refused to subjugate themselves or cooperate with their new laws. The wore armor designed to resist magic, to protect them from werewolves and vampires and all sorts of abnormal creatures, while wielding weapons augmented with magic stolen from the mages who they had enslaved. It was sickening. But they were not immune to the particular brand of magic that flowed through Isen's blade. The demonic sword that he possessed was not a typical form of magic, it was darker, twisted, it wasn't the type of magic a typical mage could manifest on their own and the DSTF had little protection against it. Isen presumed that was the reason why they typically left him alone; they couldn't harm him but he sure as hell could harm them, so they stayed out of his way.

That didn't make Isen hate them any less, however.

Though he had thinned the herd pretty handily on his own, he could already sense there were more on the way, the voice in his head confirmed it. He pressed on into the storm to intercept them, foolhearted and reckless as always. Honing his senses to follow through the snow without being able to directly see in front of him, Isen picked up on another figure moving through the storm and dashed towards them only to come into contact with a hard, arcane surface.

As he recoiled, he noted this particular member of the task force was wielding some sort of riot-shield but rather than being made of a protective polycarbonate, it was generating a surface of magical energy from the cannister swirling at it's core. It had caught Isen off guard in his eagerness to kill and it had given them the opening they needed.

Suddenly, several small grenades exploded at Isen's feet. They did not release an explosion but rather a cloud of purple-hued gas which seemed to billow upwards as if unaffected by the natural wind.

"Isen, this gas...it tastes weird."

He already knew. Much like the rest of their repertoire, this too was infused with magic and intent to disable him. He felt it enter his lungs before he could stop himself from breathing and it began to burn from the inside out, causing the powerful demon to stagger down to his knees, clutching at his chest with his bare hands. Casting a scowl in the direction of those who had thrown it, Isen forced himself back to his feet, managing to cut his way through two more before falling back down, unable to move.

Stepping forward from behind the shield-wielder, another member of the Task Force produced an arcane blade and buried it into Isen's chest, forcing the tainted air he had drawn back out of his lungs with a groan of pain. Slicing upwards, the blade carved through the bones of his body, exiting between his neck and shoulder and everything went dark.

Isen's eyes struggled to focus, he could see the blood from his body beginning to exit his fatal wound but did not fear. If only it were so easy. He lost consciousness, as he always did when forced to the brink of his life. That was the only solace from his pain he would receive. Soon, the demon sword would bring him back from the edge and he would claim each and every life remaining. It was foolish of them to try and kill him but with his final, cognizant thought, Isen figured they probably weren't expecting to run in to him here and likely thought of him as nothing more than a regular Dissonant whom they had just protected the public from, like all the others.

How wrong they would turn out to be.

Just how many of the bastards had they sent for her? All these people just to retrieve one girl? It only served to further her rage as she kicked the man as he went down, stepping around him in search of her.. Companion, if she had her way. That meant she had to get out of this alive and convince him to help her still, but judging by how quickly and efficiently he was killing them, she was starting to believe the urge would be strong enough for her to win that argument.

"Shit!" She cursed loudly at the sight of the colored gas, stumbling back and sweeping out an arm to push it away from her. She should have known better, known they would use a cheap trick like that. If anything it surprised her that it had taken this long for them to fall to that. "Shit, shit, shit!" They'd taken down the demon she had come for, and she cursed profusely upon seeing the blade forced into his chest. No, they couldn't take him before she'd even gotten him to agree to help her, it couldn't end like this.

"You son of a bitch!" She reacted without thinking, catching one of the men off guard and tackling him down into the snow. The pain in her hands didn't even register at first as they connected with his face, bone against bone as she used the magic she had stolen and stored to put more force into every blow until she heard a loud crack followed by a shout of pain. Good, she wanted them to hurt, wanted them to feel as much pain as she had when they'd taken her life away from her.

Now that the demon she had come from lay on the ground bleeding out, staining the bright snow with his blood she was furious, fumbling around for the blade she kept strapped to her leg and driving it into the man's neck. If she couldn't get directly through his armor with her magic or choke him out like she had the other, she was going to make sure he was dead one way or another.

"Get away from me!" She sent another sweep of magic at the other men nearby, refusing to let them get close to her as she toppled off of the corpse and yanked her blade from bloodied flesh. Great, now her coat had blood on it.

A searing pain moved through his body, his fingers clutching at the place from which it started. A single wound, clear and through, just beneath his rib cage. It was difficult to breathe, each inhalation felt as though he was intaking fire directly into his lungs. He heard a voice call his name. It was young, feminine, overcome with fear and worry for his condition. He looked up from his position on his back and met the eyes of Meribell, his younger sister, who was kneeling over him. She couldn't have been more than seven or eight years old, tears streaming down her face as she watched her older brother bleeding out on the concrete outside of their home. She was clutching his blood stained shirt in one hand, her favorite stuffed animal toy in the other, trying to compose herself as best as she could given the sudden shock.

"B-Bell, Bell you need to..." He tried to speak but his voice was hoarse and his mouth dry. Words weren't functioning the way they should have been, he couldn't bring anything out of his head and past his tongue in a way that made sense. The pain was overwhelming, overbearing even, and he was fading fast.

She wasn't safe here. She needed to go. She needed to run far, far away but he couldn't tell her that. He couldn't tell her that he loved her or how important she was to him. He couldn't do anything.

A figure was approaching from behind her and Isen could just barely make out his form. He looked like a shadow against the dim back drop of the night save for the glow in his eyes, making them stand out in an unnatural way. He watched this figure lay his hand upon his sister, gripping her shoulder and pulling her away from his body, sending her toppling down onto the ground behind him. Isen felt anger but the pain made it so he couldn't move a muscle to act upon it and with each beat of his slowly fading heart, more of his life escaped him.

"Pathetic. Is this really the one?"

"He is." A second voice, one whom Isen could not see, spoke to answer the question. "Without a doubt. He is the only one strong enough to withstand it."

"Strong enough? This is your idea of strong? He's barely alive, a couple more minutes and there won't be anything left of him. You sure?"

"I'm sure. Place it in his hand."

"Whatever. Your mistake, not mine."

The figure neared Isen and knelt before him, placing the handle of something long and heavy into his hand. Isen couldn't turn his head enough to see what it was, he could only look forward, he could only watch as the man reacted to feeling Meribell tugging on his leg, trying to pull him away from herbrother. He turned in anger and brought the back of his hand against her cheek, once more sending her toppling onto the ground.

The anger that surged in Isen was enough to overwhelm him, causing him to lose consciousness entirely.

When he awoke, he did so standing over the fallen body of the man who had harmed his sister. The blade of his sword had been buried into the chest of what he could now tell was a demon of some sort and he felt invigorated by the bloodshed. He checked himself over and found the wound that had once rested in his body no longer seemed to exist. As startling as that should have been, the most terrifying thing about this strange feeling was the fear he saw on his crying sister's face as she looked up on him, having witnessed what surely was a violent display through tearful eyes.

"Finally. I never liked him anyways." The voice spoke inside of his head and Isen looked around quickly, trying to find it's source. "Ah, you're back. It's about time. We've got a lot to discuss but first...the brat. Please..."

"...would you shut her up for me?"

~~~

Purple and white energy began to seep from the blade in Isen's lifeless hand. The magic energy shifted around in the air, moving through the snow and congregating around the wound in his upper chest, casting it's colorful glow into the blizzard where the girl and the members of the task force were currently doing battle. Repairing the damage done to his body, the weapon pulsed black once again as Isen began to regain consciousness, standing back up, slowly, once more being denied the death he deserved and much angrier than he had been when they struck him down.

The demon was in motion once more, only this time, the elegance in the way he danced between his foes had been replaced with something more violent and uncontrolled. He savagely ripped through each and every thing in his path, weaving in and out of the snow until nobody remained standing. Nobody except for her.

Isen found her through the noise and was immediately in front of her before she could respond. His eyes, once golden and bright, were darkened with terror and malice that matched the color pulsating through the blade. Despite the anger they so eagerly displayed, there was an emptiness, it was like he wasn't really in control of what he was doing, a passenger in his own skin while the rage fueled him on following his most recent resurrection.

"Yes. Yes, Isen. Kill her too. Kill them all!" The voice in his head chanted and he was powerless to resist it.

Isen lifted his sword over his head, prepared to bring it down directly onto the mage. It didn't matter that she too was a victim, that she was the one being hunted. It didn't matter that she fought beside him or she showed concern, all that mattered now was that familiar, wicked bloodlust and the dark magic coursing through his body from the sword in his hand as though it were a battery supplying him with more energy and malice than he could contain.

"Oh, hell yes," Adelaide hissed out the words as she saw the multicolored energy drifting around the body, centering in on the damage the human had done to his chest. When he stood up, albeit slowly, she forgot all about the blood staining the front of her coat, all about the way that her hands were aching from breaking bone.

It was a blur from there, flesh and blood and bodies strewn across the snow as she kept herself a safe distance away. It was beautiful to watch, chaotic and bloody and everything they deserved for the wrongs they had committed. Not just to her, but to every mage, every human they had hurt in their quest for power. It was beautiful even when he was right in front of her, gazing down at her with a look that should have terrified her.

"I don't think so." She felt a brief moment of fear when he lifted the sword but it was quickly replaced by anger, her hands coming up to shield her face as she gathered up the last bit of magic she'd stored.. And then she found more, emanating from the blade that was poised to kill her. It wasn't the same kind of magic that she was used to handling, difficult and foreign as she tried to at least keep it from harming her.

The strain of it brought sweat to her brow as she took a step back, murmuring quietly to the bloodied blade she still held in hand. If she could put the magic she'd stolen into it, there was the slight chance it could hurt him, but the bigger issue was protecting herself from his magic. The magic he seemed to loathe, from what he'd said. That was it--Her lips parted as it hit her hard, one hand on her blade and the other in the air pushing any magic she could find against him.

"What if I could take this away?"

Isen, or whatever it was that fueled his rage, seemed to strain against the magic that she was using against him. Drawing directly from the source, there was a near limitless amount of energy waiting at her disposal if she could manage to withstand the stress it must have been placing upon her body. The magic of the sword was not like the typical magic that mages seemed to wield, or like the magic that the members of the DSTF utilized in their weaponry, which only made it more dangerous, not just to herself but also to him. Had he been in proper control, he might have realized the damage he was doing to himself but, as always, there was little he would remember from this episode. It always seemed to be that way.

From the very first time the blade had touched his skin and he heard it's voice in his head, Isen frequently found himself experiencing these episodes, normally in moments of great stress or immediately after a resurrection. He would awake, properly, hours later, exhausted and over come with grief as he looked upon the damage he had caused. The more it happened, the more normal it began to become until, eventually, he began to feel nothing. It was like being a passenger in his own body only he was the one who had to deal with the responsibility and repercussions of whatever happened when he lost control.

The struggle between the two seemed to wane back and forth. The voice from the sword continued to chant, urging Isen on, commanding him to fight and kill but even it seemed to begin to find doubt upon realizing just how powerful this girl seemed to be. It could tell that she was pushing herself to her limits and it was trying to do the same to the vessel it inhabited, hoping they could out last her endurance and break her but with the magic she was feeding from, she was every bit as powerful as they were, if not more.

Hearing her speak to him seemed to trigger something inside of Isen, causing him to earn back some of the control. Take it away? Did she mean this power? Or did she mean the curse?

"No. You fool! What are you doing? She'll kill us both if we stop!" The voice reasoned, experiencing a loss of control for perhaps the first time.

"What do you mean...?" Isen's voice broke through the noise, the force behind the sword decreasing until he was barely pushing it against her hand at all, his will to fight tapering out in confusion until his weapon had been lowered entirely.

"Isen? Keep fighting! What are you doing?"

"How can you...take this away from me?"

"That hurt, you asshole." Adelaide scowled at him as he lowered the blade, inspecting her hand for any sign of injury. The blade had begun to cut through the fabric of her glove, pressing against the skin just enough to draw a bit of blood but nothing more severe.

"What if I could make it so you didn't want to kill all the time?" It was a bold move on her part, baiting him with something she wasn't sure she could do. It was possible, of course, but she didn't know the first thing about making a demon forget his bloodlust. She didn't even know much about this demon to begin with, past the rumors!

"But I need your help first." She took a step back, rubbing at her face and sighing wearily. That had been absolutely exhausting. She had blood on her clothes, her hands were probably bruised from hitting the one man repeatedly, and one of them was cut from the blade she'd struggled to keep away. How many years had it been since she'd had to manipulate magic like that? Long enough that it had put an enormous amount of strain on her body, and she muttered several curses before shivering.

"It's bloody cold out. Do we really need to stand out here indefinitely?"

Isen scoffed at her antagonistic name calling. She knew what she was getting into coming here and trying to talk with him, she should have expected it wouldn't be easy or that she may be putting herself in harm's way, even if the harm that befell her had been the men who had followed her through the storm.

"Impossible." The voice in his head told Isen as it too calmed down from it's rageful state. "For a demon, killing is all that matters. It sustains us, it feeds us. There is nothing this girl can do to satiate that urge."

"Killing is sort of important to a demon." Isen responded, paraphrasing. As he looked around at the carnage he had created, he bore a heavy sigh and continued to speak. "It's not something I am proud of but it is also in my nature. There are certain things at play here that you couldn't possibly understand." Like the fact that his sword seemingly had another inside its blade who liked to talk. A lot.

But still, what if there was a chance? There had been a time when Isen would have never believed that demons or magic could exist, there was no chance something so fantastical could possibly be true in any way other than in stories and yet, he learned that he would become proof of both. If she could help him, maybe he could atone.

And there was the catch. After all, she had come here for a reason, she needed him long before she saw the true nature of his curse and even now, after he had nearly taken her life, she doubled down on the concept of convincing him to lend her his aid.

"You can't possibly be considering this. She is dangerous. You saw what she could do. We should just kill her and be done with this whole mess. Isen, you're smarter than this."

"...I have a place in town. It's small, not very homely, but there's a fire place. We can talk there."

"You are a fool, Isen Hiyori. You're lucky that have me to bring you back from the brink of death or I'd kill you myself."

His tone remained stoic and dismissive but in the eyes of the girl he was speaking with, it must have seemed like forward progress, at least. Isen ran both sides of his sword through the snow, cleaning the blood that remained on its surface, then sheathed it. He began to walk back towards town, disappearing into the snowy wind, the sky having darkened further as evening began to settle in around then.

If she wished to take him up on that offer, she would follow him and find her way. If not, he would file this away with every other attempt he had made at ending his suffering; another failure at finding vindication for what he had done

"Better than standing in the cold all night." She muttered to herself, tucking her hands back into her pockets and starting after him. "Hey!" He was just going to start off like that without waiting for her? He had the advantage of height on her, longer strides and the fact that the cold didn't seem to bother him at all. She'd exhausted herself enough that even parting the wind to keep it from blocking her view was difficult, and she jogged after him with a loud groan.

"Stop moving so fast! If you leave me here to die, how am I supposed to do anything? I'm not dying in the middle of nowhere by freezing to death!" This almost seemed too easy, but it was impossible to deal just from their brief interactions. She had offered him something that had immediately caught his attention, so it made sense for him to allow her to follow, but she was still wary that at any moment he would try to kill her again.

That had been the most exhausting part of all, keeping the blade from slicing into her while simultaneously trying to control its magic. It was unlike anything she'd had to work with before, and being so out of practice with any magic manipulation had left her sorely alone and untrained.

Isen could clearly hear her voice chastising him through the wind and it was already beginning to grate on him. For a brief moment, he wondered if maybe the voice in his head was right and he was being foolish for even considering the offer she presented him. He knew it meant they'd probably be traveling together for a short while, or perhaps longer, meaning he'd need to put up with her annoying him. It was a small price to pay if it meant she could free him from this curse, however, so he would endure.

"Then walk faster." He replied to her, simple and short, not caring whether or not her human ears even picked up the reply in the first place. If she was cold, she simply needed to move faster, or use some of that magic of hers to heat herself up and clear the path. She had seemed so powerful before and now? She was whining for him to slow down, complaining about the cold...it was odd. He was already beginning to wonder what the circumstance of her power was; could she not freely use her attunement to the arcane? Or maybe she needed a reason, it was life or death before...though, he supposed, freezing here before ever getting what she came here for would count.

The chilled streets of the town were completely vacant due to the storm with the only signs of life being the occasional window emitting light out into the endless white. He found the place he called his and opened the door, a door he hadn't even locked when he left. It was indeed as small as he described it. There was little to suggest any personal attachment. There were no pictures by the bed side, no knick knacks laying around and no human food to be seen. There was a fire place, however, he did not lie about that. It looked as though it hadn't been lit in quite some time, the uncharred wood resting inside looking as though it had barely been burnt from the time it had been cut.

He waited for her to catch up, closing the door behind them and approaching the fire place. Striking a match hidden on the mantle, he tossed it into the pit and let the flame do its thing, taking a while to ignite before finally bringing some warmth, and a pleasant warm glow, to the inside of what was essentially a one room cabin.

Now that he had tended to the simple needs of the girl, he could finally ask her for the information he required. He had several questions and even less patience to wait on responses.

He would by cutting straight to the chase.

"What are you and why do you need my help?" She had mentioned killing, perhaps revenge, but he would need more than that if he was to even consider helping her. He needed information, he needed a reason and if in the process he learned more about her powers, he would be able to gage more properly whether she was actually a threat or not.

"I am walking faster!" God, the man was grumpy. Or was she grumpy? Maybe both of them were grumpy, considering the circumstances of the current situation. All she wanted to do was get warm, out of the bloodied clothes, and to see how bad the damage to her hands was. "I'm only human, though!" Why was she even bothering to yell at him through the storm? All she was succeeding in doing was making her own face colder, sucking in lungfuls of the frigid air.

Adelaide was more than happy when they finally reached the little home, uncaring of the small size once she laid eyes on the fireplace. Good enough for her. While the demon worked on getting the fire lit she worked some of her clothing off, dumping the bag she had been carrying on her back, and then the blood stained coat. Most likely she was going to need another one, or at the very least try to wash the red from the black garment. Damn.

"What the hell do you mean what am I?" She gave him an exasperated look before dropping down to sit on the floor, inspecting her hands with a frown. She hadn't broken anything when destroying the man's facial structure, but her knuckles were red and some were split, not to mention the cut on her finger from the demon's blade. "Human, mage, whatever. And I need your help because of what just happened. They won't leave me alone, and I want them dead for killing my family, and then my friends once they'd found me again." She shrugged.

"I want to kill them all, and you're a means to an end."

Isen looked towards her as though her questioning of his own question was something that made no sense. How didn't she understand? In this world, there were humans and there were Dissonants. She was clearly human, fragile and soft, but the power he saw her use was anything but. Even she seemed uncertain what she was, but at least she was aware of what a mage was. He could work with that.

"I've never seen a 'normal' mage do what you just did."

That was probably why she was wanted in the first place.

The fire place had begun to spread its warmth through the room, it didn't take long given how small it was. Isen seemed as unphased by the heat as he had been the cold, carrying on as if the shift in temperature had been something his body never made him aware of.

The girl had experienced loss. She had alluded to it before and Isen stood by his response, everybody in this world had lost something. Friends, family, freedom. Her plight wasn't special but she seemed to believe that it was, enough so that she had risked her well being to come to him. Peculiar, indeed.

"With what you're capable of, I find it difficult to believe you have any need for me. Why not just simply train your abilities and turn them lose? Not that it would do you much good, opposing the government like that would be a suicide mission." He had talked himself into understanding why she wanted his help.

"Ah, that's why. You know I cannot die and therefore, you can throw me into the meat grinder as many times as you need until we get the job done. A means to an end." He repeated her words back to her followed by a low, sarcastic laugh.

"So, we kill them all, then what? With or without the DSTF, this world will never accept Dissonants as anything more than threats and outliers. When you've seen as much as I have, you begin to recognize that the only thing humans truly possess a skill for is their endless capacity for hate and violence, and this is no different. Revenge leads to more death, are you sure that's something you want resting on your conscience?"

He was the last one who should be lecturing her about the repercussions of revenge and hatred, he knew that, but it was his overwhelming amount of experience with both that gave weight to the words he spoke. Isen hated what he had become, he resented the bloodshed and the anger. He wished he could give it all away and here she was looking to embrace it in the same way the voice in his head wished for him to do.

"I wouldn't say throw you into the meat grinder.. But you don't seem terribly upset about being killed out there." The only thing that seemed to have happened was for him to come back in a blind rage, fueled by bloodlust and something else she couldn't quite place. It was also possible she was looking too much into it, why did she care why a demon with a sword think about his own life and actions? She wasn't here for a therapeutic talk, she was here to recruit his help.

"I don't care whether or not the world accepts them. The Dissonants can kill all the humans they want, for all I care. After how they've been treated I couldn't really blame them. It would be all out war without the DSTF, but I don't care." She shrugged again, working off her snow caked boots and setting them beside her before leaning back against the wall. To hell with standing.

"I don't care what happens once they're dead. People die all the time, why should I care about complete strangers? Everyone dies someday, it's just a matter of how." War was inevitable, it was just a matter of when and how it finally occurred again. She gave him another exasperated look and drew her knees up, resting her arms on them before exhaling slowly.

"What do you think is going to happen if they get me and make me do what I did out there? It won't matter if you're human, demon, any other creature that goes bump in the night, they'd steal my magic and slaughter them all."

She had made her point. Even if he disagreed with it, he couldn't argue that what she said made sense, especially from her perspective. They wouldn't kill her, they would use her, they would turn her unique and powerful brand of magic into more devastating weapons than anything they currently had in their repetoire. Total subjugation or the sparking of a war, there seemed to be few plausible options other than those two.

Not that it mattered either way what happened to the people of this world. Isen would live through it all regardless. He would see more suffering, more pain and he would bring his fair share of it into existence as well. Whether a toll for her revenge or a bloodlusting servant to a curse he no longer wanted, his fate being intertwined with eternal misery had been decided before this girl came to see him and it would no doubt remain his future after she was gone.

But for as right as she may have been, there was one thing she has completely wrong. Not everybody gets to die eventually. Not him.

Unless she actually could help him.

"And if I say yes. If we kill every single last one of them and you get your revenge, what happens to me? You said you can help me but I have my doubts whether that may be true. If I'm to join you on this hateful crusade, I need a good reason. What's your offer here?"

"Well, whatever makes you what you are, whatever gives you the urge to kill, what if I could find a way to bind that or remove it entirely?" She glanced toward the sword with a slight look of irritation. "You have some powerful magic in that sword. If I can find a way to just.. Take it, would you still want to kill all the time?" She hadn't seen him kill without the sword yet, so it stood to reason that there was something about it that aided him.

"Past that, I don't care. You can go live a somewhat normal life, or you can selectively kill whoever you do want to, just to get them to leave you alone." Whatever worked. It wouldn't be her problem at that point. "Don't ask me to have some fancy explanation when I'm thawing out from that storm. That entire thing was tiring."

What she proposed was to remove the very thing that kept him alive. His need and urge to kill came from the fact that he was a demon, but he was only made as such because of the sword, because of whatever dwelled inside of it. With that in his mind, simply getting rid of the sword wouldn't be enough; he had tried that before and it did nothing to break his curse, it just made him sick and weak. He thought maybe that was for the best, without it's magic to fuel him, he couldn't kill and without killing, he would eventually cease to be due to the nature of what he had become but even those rules seemed not to apply to him. Try as he might, the sword always found a way back to him and he could never truly be free.

"You wish to syphon away the magic inside of the sword?" He asked her, hoping to clarify her intentions, fully prepared to tell her how stupid of a decision that would be. The arcane energy inside of the weapon was pure black in nature, dark and dangerous. She had tapped into it earlier, she had managed to control it but it clearly took a lot out of her, she wouldn't be able to handle all of that darkness. It would probably kill her and then come right back for him again.

"This is a waste of time, Isen. She's just trying to use you, use us. There is nothing she can do to me that cannot be undone, you know this. You have tried and you have failed."

"If you wish to know what I am, you must tell me in return what I wish to know. Is that not how a partnership is supposed to work? That is what you want, is it not? You want us to be partners. I do something for you, you do something for me and then, we go our separate ways."

Isen didn't care that this girl was cold or possibly even injured. He only cared about getting what he wanted, something she had now began to tease him with but seemingly had no plan to actually follow through on. He had killed people for less.

But, instead, he stood and walked towards the fire place, adjusting the logs in an attempt to get them to catch fire a little easier, to increase the size of the flame and therefore the heat to satisfy her humanly need for warmth.

"I'll destroy the entire bloody sword if I have to. I'll take the damn thing myself. I don't particularly care if it kills me, as long as it happens after all those bastards are dead." She rubbed at her face with an agitated noise before looking back at him. "But yes, that is essentially it. You help me, and I'll take care of whatever's left inside that thing. Just don't try to kill me with it again," She eyeballed the weapon with a look of disdain.

"If you kill me, I can't very well steal the magic from it, can I?" What she could do with that kind of magic, though. Perhaps she could steal bits of it along the way and use it to her advantage, then steal it all at the end of her quest. The things she could do with that kind of power. "I even promise I won't suffocate you with it like I did that other man." Once there had been a time that would have disgusted her, frightened her that she could do that to another human being. Once, but no more.

"Do either of us have anything left to lose, at this point?"

"No. I suppose not." Isen replied, simply, to her question. If there was anything left in his life worth losing, he had forgotten it. All that really mattered to him was finally being able to get what he deserved, to atone for the weight he felt on his shoulders.

Isen turned back towards the girl and drew his sword from it's sheathe on his hip. Rather than hold it in one hand, as though he were to wield it and cut her down, he instead presented it to her with both of his palms underneath the blade, supporting it horizontally so that she could get a better look at it's craftsmanship. If it weren't something so dark and powerful, it would have been a rather impressive piece for a collector to display on a mantle or for a warrior to pass down through their family. It was made with care, it looked impressive, yet within the blade swirled that same dark energy from before, a telling reminder that it was not something to take lightly.

"I was given this sword many years ago on the verge of death. It is the reason why I am the way that I am. I was a human too, once." He began to explain, giving her some backstory as to what exactly it was that had happened to him. Maybe if she could better understand the source of his pain, she could actually follow through on helping him. He was taking the initiative to talk first, something she probably didn't expect, and he hoped it would convince her to be more open with him as well as he still required answers to his prior questions.

"This isn't story time, Isen. She does not need to know any of this."

"When I die, the magic in this sword brings me back from the brink. I have tried a thousand different ways to end my life and every time, when I wake up, I'm still here...and there's typically a trail of bodies waiting for me to uncover. Being a demon means I need to kill to survive, I am aware of that. It is what sustains my life and without it, I grow weak and tired. I thought that maybe if I got rid of the sword, or I never killed, I would eventually wither away like the others but not even that could provide an escape. The being inside this sword simply will not let go."

"I will never let you go."

There was a great sadness in his voice, in the way he looked at her. He was stoic and terrifying on the outside but there was a more vulnerable side of Isen that he was forced to keep hidden, a side of him that hated what he had become and wished he could just move on from this life, a side of him that had seen and experienced lifetimes of pain in a few short years and had resigned to believing he would experience an endless amount more in his eternal life. He was tired. He needed release.

"I have worked too long and too hard to keep you alive, I will not watch you throw away everything we have accomplished because you've decided that you're sad. Grow up. Be a demon, not a baby."

"I wish to die. It is what I deserve for the pain I have caused and it is the only way I will be at peace. If you can make that happen...if you can grant me my wish, I will fight with you and I will help you find your own peace in the revenge that you seek. But when that is over..."

"She is not enough."

"...I want you to end my life."

"What the hell are you doing?" Adelaide looked at him suspiciously as he presented the blade, half expecting him to shift at any moment and attempt to strike her. Only when she was sure he wouldn't do so did she examine the blade, noting the fine craft of the weapon but abstaining from touching it.

"A human, really?" Her tone was skeptical as she stared at him from her spot on the floor, mentally weighing the chances of whether or not it was truth. A human turned demon, was that even possible? Had she even seen a demon before, though? She was still trying to figure out why he was even telling her this, what importance was his previous humanity to their current predicament? The fact that he was now a demon was the reason she had sought him out in the first place. The fact that he could not be killed, the fact that he was, himself, such a good killer. A human could not aid her in the way she had asked of him, a human would have been dead during the earlier ambush.

A thousand times?

That was a lot of times to try and kill oneself. She gave him a slightly confused look until he continued on, struggling to get her mind to wrap around what he was telling her. A thousand times of nearly dying only to be revived and murder in a state of mindless rage. That wasn't much of a life at all, but it was perfect for what she needed from him, so it would do. Still, she felt a tiny bit of sympathy for him. That had to be absolutely miserable to exist like that, endlessly yanked back from death's reach.

"The what now?" It took several seconds for his words to register with her, and for a brief moment she looked at him like he'd sprouted another head. The being.. Inside the sword? "You can't be blamed for what you weren't in control of." She shook her head and frowned. That wasn't a very fair sentiment, but then again she wasn't in his shoes to feel that type of misery. To have killed so many without ever intending to, it must have been quite the burden to bear.

"No pressure, right?" She sighed and rubbed at her face again, finally pushing herself to her feet and stretching out with a grimace. "Fine, fine, I'll kill you once it's all over with."

She seemed surprised to know that he was a human once. Was it really so outrageous to believe that he once had some form of humanity within him?

Looking at what he had become, what he had done, he supposed that it might come as a shock, but this girl knew little of the true extent of his past and she had already passed judgement on him based off of what it was she had seen and the stories that had been passed around about what he may or may not have done. It wasn't worth his time to try and convince her otherwise; despite feeling remorse for the things he had done, he was still as far away from being a human as he possibly could be. That wasn't something that could be argued.

It was, in a way, nice to hear her try to absolve him of some of his guilt but it did little to satisfy the grief in his heart. The fact that he wasn't in control didn't make it better, it made him weak for not being able to remain himself. It was still his body, after all. He was being reduced to a passenger in his own skin and even worse, or perhaps for the better when it came to his sanity, he would wake up without a single memory of the horrific things he had been forced to do when control had been taken from him. It was a miserable way to live. He was miserable.

The nonchalant way she agreed to the terms of his side of the deal troubled him slightly. Was she actually being serious? Did she think he was joking about this? He wasn't about to do all of this work only for her to change her mind at the moment of truth or cower out of fulfilling her end of the bargain.

"You must give me your word that you will not back out of these terms. It is very important that..."
Isen seemed to trail off as being distracted by something. In actuality, it was that pesky voice again, one he had alluded to by letting her know there was a being inside of the very sword that had cursed him.

"She is lying to you, Isen. She is a liar. She cannot be trusted nor is she capable of doing what she claims she is able to do. I will not let you go." The voice repeated from before, punctuating that statement with a venomous tone. It seemed to echo in his head, causing a slight discomfort to form at the pit of his stomach.

Back
Top Bottom