Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dissonant Hearts (Degusaurusrex x AndrewS)

Adelaide had been a bit worried about getting caught eyeing Isen up, but when she dared to look his way it seemed he was looking at her intently, a realization that made her cheeks turn redder as she huffed and muttered under her breath. Samara was still trying to play matchmaker!

"I'm incredibly glad you didn't make it more daring." She eyed Samara's own neckline with a level of gratefulness, snapped out of that only by Ignas grumbling his complaint that painted a very interesting picture in her own head. Just what thoughts had been going through his head that Ignas felt the need to speak up and voice his disgust?

"Oh, there you are." Takami entering the room was a perfect excuse for her to divert her attention from that little question, and she took a moment to observe the outfit before shaking her head at the witch. The woman was insane, and while it wasn't necessarily a bad thing, it definitely involved embarrassing them more times than Adelaide would have liked.

"Superheroes. I can't believe you're calling us superheroes." The mage groaned loudly and shot Isen a look. "You want us to just wait outside? Looking like this?" She didn't want to waste energy on any concealment spells right now, so they would definitely need to find good hiding spots if that was the case.

"Fine. But you be careful, Samara. We'll see you when this is over, and then we can talk about this neckline you made..." She shook her head one last time before starting for the door, Ember slipping between her legs as she appeared and announced her presence with a loud meow. "Isen, you ready?"

Samara laughed, though there was a hesitancy behind it as she commented in return; "Looking forward to it. Now go, the both of you. Leave this to me."

Isen made his way to Adelaide's side but even he seemed hesitant too. He was still staring at her, however, and Ignas was getting very tired of it. "Can you at least try to be subtle about it? The fate of an entire city, right here, between the two of you and neither one of you can stop staring at the other long enough to even start saving it."

"Uh, right. I'm ready." He replied to her question, glancing down at Ember to distract himself. Takami also made his way towards them, taking this as his cue to leave.

As they stepped outside, Isen, looking for more reasons to keep his mind focused, diverted his attention to their third wheel. "You don't seem yourself. You seem...tired. Did you sleep?"

"I slept just fine."

"Are you sure about that?"

"I said I'm fine."

Isen took that as his cue to back down from the conversation, hoping that Takami wasn't having any second thoughts about his involvement and that they could rely on him the way they had at the hangar.

Once the trio had exited, Samara opened up a tome across her table. With one hand on her pendant and the other thumbing through the pages, she searched for the spell she needed in preparation. "Operation Samara Saves the Day, Part Two..." She spoke to herself, a sigh falling afterwards as Priscilla came back to her side with concern. "No...I know. I couldn't tell them." She began to converse with her familiar, a one-sided conversation to anyone who would overhear it without being inside of her head. "It was meant to be this way...it's what I saw. They were never going to take me with them, I just...hoped that part of the future would change too."

Samara found the page she needed, leaving it open, her eyes moving to the entrance now as she awaited Isabella's arrival. "Oh, Priscilla, my dearest friend, don't be sad. It's called 'Operation Samara Saves the Day', not 'Samara Cries A Whole Bunch'. I'm fine with it, really. It's in their hands, we were never really the heroes of this story from the start....yes, I believe so. My future hasn't changed but hers will. It has to."

Her staring wasn't that obvious, was it?

"You're not fine, but we can deal with that later. I'm sure Isabella will be back anytime-- Ah, the prodigal son returns."

"Oh my god what did that beautiful bitch do to you?" Isabella's previously shy demeanor had melted away once she'd gotten the watch to shroud herself from the DSTF, and her personality was ever growing as she expressed her love of Adelaide's new outfit before turning her attention to Isen, and then Takami. "Right, so, we got a few vampires," She waved her hand over the group that had come with her, several of them lifting their hands in either a nervous or disinterested wave. "Couple werewolves, and I think one of the girls is some sort of other.. I don't remember, honestly. Sorry, Hannah!" Adelaide nodded her head to the Dissonants that were following Isabella past the false wall and into the shop, turning her attention back to Isen before she sighed.

"Alright, I guess let's find somewhere to hide. Did she really just want us to come out in the alley and hide behind dumpsters and illusions?"

"I don't like this, mistress. Something feels off." Adelaide had forgotten for a moment that Ember had followed them out, and she bent down to pick up the kitten and hold it against her chest.

"I know. Something feels weird to me too, but if the drones follow them here then at least they'll be funneled into the alley and away from the rest of the city, right?" She stepped to the side as another Dissonant came barreling by with any apology and a brief explanation that there were some stragglers still making their way to the shop, but that others had been too frightened to join them and were holing up in their own homes.

Isen watched as Dissonants began to file in to Samara's shop, walking past them and through the illusory wall. Samara would have her work cut out for her but as long as they could take down the drones in a timely manner, it wouldn't really matter. They just needed to find some place nearby and wait. Isen took a look around and decided perhaps one of the roof tops nearby would be their best bet.

"What if we climbed up there?" He asked, pointing to a fire escape that led upwards. They would be higher up, giving them a better vantage, but that came at the risk of the drones flying by and possibly seeing them. It still seemed more advantageous than simply sitting around behind some dumpsters and waiting for something to happen, but he would leave the choice up to Adelaide to decide. Takami seemed fine with anything, his hand on the hilt of his blade the entire time. He seemed to be squeezing it tightly, though, something was definitely not okay with him.

"Hey, Ignas, can you or Ember sense anything off about Takami or his Catalyst?"

"No, nothing appears to be out of the ordinary with his magic. That definitely doesn't mean he's all right, though." So, Ignas seemed to think something was off too.

Samara greeted all of the Dissonants who came in with Isabella helping try to get them comfortable. It was a daunting task ahead of her and she was asking a lot of them too, requiring them to just put their faith blindly in her when a massive threat to their livelihood was about to be released into the city. The television began to show news coverage of the summit, which was set to begin at any moment, giving Samara a tight time line to try and get things ready. The amount of magic she would need to generate to create a barrier that size would be immense. As powerful as she was, she wouldn't be able to hold it for long, she had to put her trust in Adelaide and Takami to get the job done.

"Isabella, is this everyone?" She asks, seeing a few more stragglers pass in, panicked and scared of what was to come. "Okay, Priscilla. Show time." She announced, glancing over her shoulder as the news anchor turned coverage over to another who was inside the DSTF's building.

"Up there is fine." She followed where he was pointing and spotted the fire escape, then abruptly turned her attention back to Takami. Something was definitely up with him, and it was starting to get to her not knowing what it was. When even Isen questioned both Ignas and Ember, the latter of which sensed nothing as well, she knew it was time to speak up.

"Takami, I don't know what's wrong with you, but you need to pull it together. If this is just nerves, swallow them and get a grip. We don't have time for any of us to be having any last minute doubts, okay? Either you're with us, or you're not, but I need to know now where you stand." She made her way over to the fire escape and gripped the first bar, hoisting herself up and beginning to climb without waiting for an answer. He would make it known when he was ready, but he'd better make it quick.

"Yeah, I think so. If not, then they're shit out of luck. I didn't use my energy speeding them all here for nothing, so let's get this show on the road. Just tell me what you need me to do, and I'll do it."

Isen climbed behind Adelaide, taking his time just in case she lost her footing or stumbled. Of course, given his penchant for staring at her earlier, this may have came across inappropriately, so he made it a point to make sure his head had been turned aside, surveying the city as they climbed upwards. Takami began to follow as well, mulling over the tongue lashing he had gotten from Adelaide, only responding once they had gotten to the roof top.

"I am with you." He told her, simply, walking to the edge and peering downward.

From where they were, they could see the DSTF building in the distance through the Cresthaven streets and buildings. When the drones launched, they'd have a clear view of their approach.

At the building, as Samara was watching on television, the DSTF's Speaker stepped out onto a podium in front of the crowd that had gathered, and in front of the television cameras too. There were guards, but not as many as would have been expected, leaving Samara to wonder if this was intentional or a result of their attack on the hangar.

"Welcome, ladies and gentleman. For years, we have been fighting alongside you, bringing safety to the streets of our beautiful city and to our world as a whole. Today, on the eve of Christmas, we are proud to have gathered here before you to announce the next phase of our initiative and commitment to your protection. But, first, it is my esteemed honor to present to you the individuals who have spearheaded development, research and logistics of everything we have accomplished..."

Several people began to step out onto the makeshift stage from behind him. There were six individuals in question behind the Speaker by the time they had all made their way out. Among them, the general and his very uneasy wife, the Van Dynes, who were introduced to great applause, especially in Lorelei's case. She didn't appear to be using any of her magic, however, this adoration was what she had earned on her own or from already having influenced these people before.

"Finally, our chairman, who could not be here in person, sends his regards and hopes that you all enjoy the presentation and the festivities to come afterwards."

The building they had raided, which hid the hangar underneath, began to react, several panels lifting out of the ground with mechanic lifts. Nothing came out of them yet, but it was clearly preparation for launching what they had left of their fleet.

"Before we begin the grand reveal, General Orion and his wife would like to share a few words."

The general, clad in his protective armor as always, stepped towards the podium, pulling Lorelei with him. She seemed uncomfortable but doing her best to pass things off, smiling and waving like nothing was bothering her. Samara watched him through the television, stepping up to the microphone, her hand clenching into a fist at the very sight of him.

"I am not nearly as eloquent, so I will keep this short and to the point. For too long, we have had to live with filth among our streets, with monsters living next door to our families, our children. I know it has been a fearful time for you all. There are wanted criminals roaming free, helping Dissonants evade capture so that they may threaten the peaceful lives we've been trying to lead. Last night, like cowards, they launched another attack on the very DSTF building you see before you in a desperate attempt to destroy what we had planned to show you today...but they did not succeed. They were unable to rob you of your sense of security and now, they will learn that there is nowhere they, or the vermin they so covet, can hide. No more will we need to cower, no more will we be left in the dark."

With his hand on Lorelei's back, he guided her towards the microphone but when she hesitated to speak, he finished the speech on his own.

"Ladies and gentleman, welcome to your brighter future. This is Project Acuity."

From the shafts that had opened, drones began to activate and fly out into the open. They moved in pairs, as they were designed to, with the orb-like drone circling the one intended to be the weapon, orbiting around it like planets trapped in each other's gravity. They had released about a dozen of them, but there were many more below, ready to be launched if needed. The public watched on in awe, and confusion, at what they were witnessing and what exactly all of this meant.

General Orion pushed on Lorelei's back again, forcing her to the microphone this time rather than guiding her. He gave her a threatening glare and she nervously began to speak, losing the usual cadence and confidence she was known to speak with as she began to explain what Project Acuity really was.

Lorelei had seen no need to use her magic now. The people adored her, adored the DSTF and everything they did in the name of keeping the city and its occupants safe. She wasn't uneasy about appearing before them, or about the presentation they were about to give, but about how her husband's attitude had shifted so drastically when they'd received the call about the devastating attack on the drones. All the time and effort they had put into it, only for such a large number of them to be destroyed overnight, and how? The traitor, Takami, siding with the enemy that included her own kin. She had been too lenient with allowing them their freedom to slink around and survive in the city, and now she was suffering her husband's wrath for it.

She moved on autopilot as he guided her up to the podium and then began to speak, barely listening to what he was saying as she watched how captivated the crowd was. Were there Dissonants hiding there? Were Adelaide and that beast and traitor hiding in the crown waiting to attack them again? She was so caught up in her own head that when Orion pushed at her again she barely noticed, catching his glare and fumbling with her words as she realized that not only were some of the drones out and ready to deploy, but she was being forced to speak.

"Project Acuity has been coming for some time now, and we're very pleased that we're able to get it out on the streets today and keep the city safe for all of you. It's been a long, hard road to get to where we currently are, but with a lot of careful research, planning, and constructing, we've programmed the drones to recognize the signature from Dissonants and seek them out. They'll deter threats, supress them by weakening the Dissonants and allowing officers to take them into custody properly and off the streets. Lethal force will, as always, be used if the situation calls for it and the life of a Dissonant is deemed less than the threat they pose to a large number of humans. Don't be afraid when you see our drones flying about, as long as you are who you claim to be, you have nothing to fear from any of us."

She nodded and stepped back from the microphone, glad that her husband seemed satisfied enough with her explanation as he turned and nodded to one of the other men several feet back. She could see them fiddling with remotes and exchanging commands before his hand was on her back again, keeping her close to his side as the drones that were already visible were deployed and began to make their way slowly outward.

Scanning. . . Scanning. . .

Target acquired.

That hadn't taken long at all. While Lorelei had assumed some Dissonants would be stupid enough to show up and watch the demonstration, she hadn't expected the drones to single any out so quickly. This left the sighted creature with two options now: either run and hope they could survive the drone, or try and blend in with the crowd and play it off as a malfunction.

Target locked. Commencing attack sequence in 3.. 2.. 1.

Most of people in the crowd seemed receptive to the idea of the drones. They were protectors, they would snuff out threats before they happened and provide a safety the street had been lacking. They were autonomous, guards wouldn't need to risk their lives in more dangerous situations, and they could all sleep peacefully at night knowing that their families were safe and sound and the streets were clean.

But not all of the people in Cresthaven were so easily comforted.

The visual of a dozen of those drones floating, hovering, scanning the crowd, was a chilling one. There were people in there who seemed nervous, people who weren't Dissonant and were entirely human but didn't like the idea of having of constantly being watched, even if it were for their protection. The drones had weapons, after all, and they were, at the end of the day, just robots. What if they made the wrong call and attacked somebody innocent, killed somebody's kid?

The eye of the gun drones swapped between colors. Normally, they were white, but while scanning, they took on a blue hue. After they had found what they were looking for, however, the lens swapped to red and they began to move through the air. Suddenly, everyone in the crowd, regardless of whether they were receptive of this idea or not, was on alert beneath the threatening gaze of their armed 'protectors'.

A couple of 'people' began to move, quickly, trying to push their way out of the group but finding the plaza too congested to easily move through. The Speaker stepped up to the podium again, noticing the panic beginning to set in.

"Please, do not be alarmed. This is a normal part of the process..." He told them, but nobody was listening. "This is normal, isn't it?" He asked, away from the mic, towards the general and his wife. Orion had a smirk across his face as he looked out into the crowd while Lorelei's expression on entirely the opposite.

"3.. 2.. 1."

The drones initiated their attack sequence without warning. The sickening sound of an arcane blast, expulsed from the barrel of one of the attack drones, rang out as it connected with the back of one of those fleeing through the crowd. Upon contact, their illusion faded away, revealing that it had been a Dissonant in disguise. A Dissonant who had been shot dead on the spot.

Suddenly, the sound of the cannon firing and the impact of magic against skin and bone was not the only noise. People began to scream, trying to flee as more of the drones closed in on other targets. Some of the Dissonants willingly dropped their disguise, tossing their watches away to assume their true form to try and escape. They failed and, in the after math of each shot, innocent lives were taken within the crossfire. The drones were working as intended, tracking down their targets and efficiently snuffing them out but this was anything but suppression, this was cold and calculated.

By the time the TV feed had cut, it was too late and Samara, and the Dissonants she was to be harboring, were in utter shock with the brutality that had just been broadcast. From his perch on the roof tops, Isen could see what was happening, but it was farther away than what Samara had seen through the TV. His ears, however, heard everything. Every scream of terror, every cry for help, every dying gasp or sound of those who were unfortunate enough to be caught in a drone's line of sight. He could also hear more of them flying out of the shaft from beneath the hangar, moving in towards the city, firing their cannons where they saw fit. Small buildings and street stands were leveled, sidewalks and mailboxes destroyed from blasts as the drones began to fire in to homes.

This was their supposedly changed future? It looked like a massacre regardless. Had their attempts at waning their numbers truly meant nothing?

Isen moved to hold Adelaide, instinctively, because he knew how she would react. He held her tight and he didn't let go, steadying her, shielding her from the carnage with his body as the drones began to pick up on something else; a large gathering of Dissonants had been scanned and now, they were beginning to buzz towards Samara's shop where, from their high perch, they could see Samara stepping outside into the alley, her palms glowing in motion as she began her spell. An azure barrier began to form around her, spreading through the store, encompassing the entire building. Already, she seemed to struggle to hold on to such powerful magic, taking a knee but maintaining her hold for now. She glanced upwards and saw Isen peering down over the roof's edge and gave him a knowing nod.

Suddenly, this was about more than protecting the Dissonants. This was about protecting everybody. They had a couple of seconds before they were about to be swarmed so, he let go of Adelaide but not before squeezing her hand, drawing his sword. He knew it wouldn't do anything against the drones but he could be a distraction, he could create openings for his allies to fight back.

"Adelaide...Takami...,are you ready?"

The weary warrior drew his own weapon from it's sheathe. It glowed, as it normally did, but the glow seemed to flicker slightly. Isen noticed but didn't have time to ask. Takami nodded his head towards his comrade and prepared himself as the insurmountable threat drew closer to their door step.

"I am ready."

Last edited:
"That's not normal." Lorelei's face paled as she watched the drones shift between colors so rapidly, and then they began to fire. A look at her side showed that Orion was smirking, as if he had planned the entire thing and neglected to tell everyone including her. Especially her, which only reinforced her concern about whether or not he found her to be disposable once she'd served her purpose. Bartering with the witch had been the smartest thing she'd done that week, apparently.

"Cut the cameras!" They were already cutting the live feed when she began to shout and pulled away from her husband, watching in horror as the drones continued to single out Dissonants without pause. If the shock of them killing rather than supressing hadn't been enough for her and everyone else present, the drones striking normal, clearly human attendees was enough to send everyone running in fear of imminent death.

"What the hell is going on over there? They weren't supposed to shoot in the crowd, were they?!" Adelaide jumped as she heard the drones firing from their spot on the roof, moving to try and look closer just in time for Isen to intercept her and hold onto her. "Isen, why are you getting in the way? Isen! Let me go!" The fact that he knew her well enough to stop her before she could run toward the carnage would have been more impressive if she hadn't been furious at him stopping her, and even she could hear the commotion and tell that innocent lives were being taken as the crown scattered and screams filled the streets. This wasn't right. Had her grandmother truly been okay with innocent lives being taken in the quest to wipe out the Dissonants?

"What is Samara doing?" This wasn't a spell she remembered Samara teaching her, and the magic felt different as she focused on it, absorbed little bits of it before Isen was releasing her and squeezing her hand. Already?

"Now or never." She nodded and looked over at Takami, frowning when she noticed that something about his blade seemed to be off. They didn't have time for her to properly analyze or worry about it, though, she needed to work on pulling the magic from it to destroy the drones as they got closer. It had all come down to counting on them not being able to reprogram the drones to combat against Takami's catalyst last minute, and it was going to take everything all of them had to finish the job.

"Ember, keep Samara safe." She shooed her familiar down toward the fire escape, watching the feline hop down gracefully and land at Samara's side before stretching out. At the very least, the animal could be made large again and help to protect people, but none of that was going to matter until they cut the drones numbers down even more.

The drones passed over head, causing the air to ripple from the movement. They stopped above the barrier, training their sights directly on the energy Samara was trying to maintain. The Dissonants inside would have been wiped out already had Samara not been there. The drones seemed to have issues properly finding their target now that the spell was active, it was confusing their programming.

Takami saw his opening and he leapt from the roof top, grabbing on to one of the drones and inserting his blade into it's metallic body. It sputtered and began to lose altitude, allowing Takami to land safely on the ground. It's orb counterpart came down towards the wreckage of it's partner, smashed against the concrete, and found itself cleaved in two for it's efforts. The DSTF had not been able to reprogram the drones to block Takami's catalyst, they still had a chance.

One down, only another hundred to go? As impressive a display as it was, Takami seemed to be winded already and the drones, which were now flying in the air, decided it was time to fire on the barrier since they could no longer focus on a target.

Samara winced as the barrier took the brunt of several shots at once. It help up, dissipating the energy, but it wouldn't hold forever. Isen gave Adelaide a knowing look and then, with a shrug of his shoulders, copied what Takami had done, leaping on to a drone of his own.

"Isen, keep me away from that thing!" Ignas shouted in his head but Isen had no intention of trying to slash it. Instead, he used the momentum of his weight colliding with the drone to send it into it's gunner, causing both to smash against the brick wall beside them. Isen took the brunt of the blow as well, falling down to join Takami. He didn't feel any pain from the fall, thanks to Ignas, pulling himself back up. The drones he had attacked were damaged but not inoperable, he really wasn't going to be able to do much to them at all with his weapon being useless.

His original plan was to be a decoy and that was what he would do.

"You're going to hate this." He told Ignas, who immediately began to protest as Isen threw him at the drone he had landed on. Ignas repelled off of it's body thanks to it's orb, sending the sword clattering to the concrete with Ignas clearly affected by the magic inside. It did the trick, however, gathering the attention of the armed attacker and the two nearby. With three less drones shooting at the barrier, Isen took off down the alley with his speed, trying to put some distance between him and his pursuers. He was now unarmed, but it wasn't like he was going to be able to properly use Onigoshi anyways, he'd just grab it on the way back if he could.

Even with the three pairs he was keeping occupied and the set Takami had destroyed, there were at least ten more still firing on the barrier with more coming closer every second. Takami went back to work after composing himself, trying to take down as many as he could while Isen tried to avoid the blasts, circling back around the block to lead the drones back inside. They lined up perfectly for Adelaide's magic to take them down but he had no way of really communicating that makeshift plan to her, he just hoped she'd see him coming and catch the hint. This would take forever, but every duo they took down was one less that could breach Samara's barrier, so they had to try even.

"Fucking superheroes." Adelaide shook her head in disbelief as she watched Takami grab one of the drones and use it to get down from the roof. That was one way to do it, but definitely not the way she intended to get down, if she intended to at all. While it would put her closer to the catalyst she needed to draw magic from, the roof had its advantage and allowed her a better view of any drones coming to join the first few.

"Something's wrong, he doesn't look right." He looked downright weak, and he'd only just started to fight back against the drones. If Takami went down and she had to draw the magic from the catalyst to do everything herself, she was going to be weak, if she even survived it. "Oh for--" She cursed as Isen copied their companion's motion, shaking her head and watching him go down from the roof with a drone of his own. "You're both ridiculous!"

She'd been midway through weaving another net of magic from Takami's catalyst to any nearby drones when she saw Isen throw Ignas, and she couldn't help but to laugh as the demon protested and shrieked as it collided with the orb. Oh, he was going to be complaining about that for ages when this was all over, but for the moment he seemed too stunned by the contact and the drones swarming him to do much else.

Samara was struggling to hold the barrier, both familiars close to her, Takami was recovering from whatever was ailing him, and Isen had disappeared around the block with some of the drones in pursuit. Why were they even following him when he'd left Ignas on the ground back there? Right, they'd probably programmed the drones for him specifically, not just Onigoshi.

"Where the hell did you go?" She threw out the web and watched it snag on one of the drones, dragging it down with the sheer weight of the magic and slicing into the metal with a terrible screeching noise as the drone malfunctioned and went down sputtering. The sound was enough to make Adelaide cringe and clench her teeth together before she took a deep breath, catching sight of Isen coming back with the drones still following like a line of overactive children.

"Isen, down!" All she could do was hope that the concentrated blasts of magic she'd stolen from the catalyst didn't hit him as she directed them at the drones, her attention split between there and then back to Samara once she'd destroyed the drones endangering Isen. The witch still seemed to be struggling to hold the barrier as it took some of the blasts, and Ember was insistently chattering in her head with her concerns about the situation.

Isen ducked underneath the blast Adelaide fired in his direction, narrowly avoiding being clipped by the edge of the spell. It smashed into all three drones, turning them into a cascade of bolts and parts, smattering against the concrete. So far, so good?

Isen snatched Onigoshi up as he ran back towards Takami to help him again, hearing Ignas' voice in his head berating him. "You THREW me? What is wrong with you? And now I feel weird...and uncomfortable! I swear, Isen, you're going t-" He stopped, sensing something else coming towards them. "Isen, there's more coming, and fast."

Cresting over the buildings down the street came another fleet of paired drones, replacing the ones they had already managed to taken down. More blasts collided with Samara's barrier and now, instead of being absorbed and dissipated, they were beginning to reflect off, a sign that her spell was weakening. Worse yet, some of the drones had grown wise to the real threat in the area, tracking another powerful magic signature; they sat their sights on Adelaide's roof top.

"You may want to go save your girlfriend." Ignas told him, causing Isen to notice the way some of the drones were beginning to focus in on her.

Takami gave him a nod as he used a fire escape for leverage, his tired body trying to hold up as best as it could against an endless onslaught. Samara called upon both Ember and Priscilla for support but she was exhausted. Her hand came to the pendant around her neck, clutching it. "Come on, mom. I need you..." She mumbled under her breath as the pendant began to glow beneath her touch. It normally did but, in this case, it was something different entirely. It's light seemed to move through her palm, giving her a second wind. She reinforced the barrier with the energy she had channeled, screaming in pain as she did, even causing a couple of the blasts to create collateral damage against other drones nearby the ones that fired. Their orbs sputtered to try and block the damage, leaving them open for an easy attack by Takami, who was doing everything he could to keep their numbers down, littering the alley with discarded drones and parts.

He barely moved aside as bricks began to pour down from above, the result of the drones trained on Adelaide firing towards her perch. There had been at least five drones, all of which fired in succession, decimating the roof top but missing their intended target. Isen had made it, in time, bounding over the fire escape, past Takami and on to the roof where he had snatched Adelaide away. Cradling her in his arms, he had dove forward, shielding her, allowing them both to avoid most of the shots although one made contact with Isen's back. True to Samara's word, the suit he was wearing and it's warding spell seemed to divert the damage, leaving behind a blackened indentation where the blast had touched him but leaving him no worse for wear.

"Are you alright?" He asked, kneeling over her, keeping her covered as the drones reloaded for a second shot. "Do you have anything in mind to get us out of this?"

"Will you please get your demon to shut up!? It's incredibly distracting listening to him whine when I'm trying to-" She grunted, dragging another drone down to the ground and whipping it into the concrete, "Destroy these fucking things. It's not easy!" Now that Samara's barrier was noticeably weakening Adelaide began to worry, her concentration bouncing around as she tried to determine the best course of attack to help keep the witch safe and destroy the drones.

"Fuck!" She cursed as Samara screamed, turning her eyes away from the sudden light and explosions as she tried to center her focus on only one thing at a time. It was almost impossible to do so even with the training she'd done with Samara, she had both the witch and the two men to worry about, and then her familiar on top of it all. The feline was bounding around inside the barrier, hissing at the drones that got close enough they might have had a chance of getting inside if not for the spell.

"I'm fine," She hadn't expected to be essentially tackled by Isen out of nowhere, barely avoiding the blasts from the drones that had snuck up on her. How had she been so careless as to not notice them? "We need to get them away from Samara. I just hope Takami gets smart and follows, he's too far away for me to take him with us." She twisted and looked around at the nearby rooftops and then back at the drones, hesitating for a moment before she tried to catch Samara's eyes and give her a small nod.

"Let's go. She needs a break." They reappeared three buildings away and hit the roof with a thud, knocking the wind out of Adelaide as she sprawled out and stared at the sky with a groan. "You know, that never gets easier." She'd managed to store some of the magic from Takami's catalyst and drawn the teleportation spell from her own instead, but even what she'd stored wasn't going to last long once the drones were on them.

Reappearing on another roof top gave them a short reprieve from the attention of the drones but they were far from safe and there still seemed to be more swarming Samara's shop by the minute. Isen rolled over on to his side, meeting eyes with the sprawled out Adelaide, reaching out for her hand and grabbing it so he could pull her back up on to her feet. From where they were standing, they could see the drones they had escaped recalculating but, further more, the pulse of energy released from the teleport had drawn the attention of more of them. They were moving away from the barrier but now, they had the two of them in their line of sight.

"Any more ideas?" He asked her, stepping in front of her as if he would some how be capable of hiding her from all of the attacks they were about to receive. Even if he did survive thanks to Ignas, the collateral damage would no doubt have Adelaide caught up in the blast radius as well. "Do you think you could do what you did in the hangar? Knock every last one of them out of the sky?" That was their only hope at this point, lest she play teleport tag with the swarm for the rest of the day until she exhausted herself to the point where she could no longer fight back. Isen felt so useless, like there was nothing he could do. He was fighting an enemy he couldn't hurt and trying to defend against something he couldn't stop, he would have felt hopeless had it not been for the fact that he was still by her side, the way he said he would be through everything to come.

The drones that had focused on Samara had began to move in their direction, leaving Takami to take down the few that were remaining before realizing what was going on. He thought to try and catch up to Isen and Adelaide but he was too winded, too tired, his body barely let him move by the time he had slashed through the last drone close enough. There were more coming, Samara couldn't even lower the barrier long enough to try and heal him, she had to keep it going. The second wind provided to her by the pendant had given her magic to sustain it for another minute or two but she was running on fumes too.

As disastrous as it all seemed to be, this was still some how better than the future she had seen. It gave her hope, though fleeting, that they had managed to change it, even slightly, that they still had a chance to make it out of this, but things were seeming pretty grim.

The building releasing drones has sent it's final pair out of the hangar, flooding the city with the entirety of what remained of their fleet, all of which were zoning in on the same place at the same time. Half of them were hovering around the barrier, taking pot shots, the rest had gone after Isen and Adelaide, leaving the rest of the city outside of the threat for now while mayhem and panic spread through it's streets like a tidal wave.

"I don't know. I can try. I have some of the magic stored from Takami, I don't know if mine will work since it's not technically an attack." Even if she used her own magic or a combination of hers and Takami's catalyst to make another web to throw out and over the drones, she had no way of knowing if that would work. She could try to drag them down or knock them into each other, but there was no guarantee that it would destroy them just like it had before. Just how much of Takami's magic did she have stored? The ring seemed to help her separate the types of magic she stole and stored better than she could have on her own, but that still wasn't a certain answer.

"Fuck it, what other option do we have?" She stepped to the side and out of where Isen was shielding her, lifting her hands and rubbing at her ring before she worked on focusing. Samara had always made it look so easy to weave webs of magic and bend them to her will, but this wasn't practice, this was live battle that would determine who lived and died in it.

"I don't think I'm going to be able to get them all." She cursed again as the magic wove itself together and webbed out to catch on one of the drones, steering it toward another as she tugged and clenched her fingers together until they began to hurt. The force of the movements brought the two drones together with a loud crunch and then a slow scrape as they struggled to separate from one another, the electronic part of it screeching and fizzling at the metal seams as an alarm began to blare from the underside and then it exploded in a flurry of metal and wires.

Isen watched in fascination as Adelaide weaved her magic. There was a graceful beauty about the way it moved through the air, snaring around the drones within reach before pulling them down out of the sky in a way that was anything but beautiful. It was, however, effective; she began snaring drones, smashing them together and destroying those who couldn't handle the magic being forced against their bodies. He had watched in awe but it was clear now that she needed him and so, he placed his hand over one of her own, squeezing it reassuringly as she continued her spell. He wasn't sure if it would do anything; maybe she could draw something from him, or just having him there would help her keep her composure long enough to take all of the damn things out of the sky. Either way, rather than simply wait and watch as the person he cared most about put her all into trying to save the city, he wanted to do something, anything to help ease her burden.

One by one, the drones began to fall. Isen heard crash after crash of metallic bodies smashing against the concrete below, or imploding upon themselves in an explosion that sent their parts careening in every direction. Leaving nothing remaining until all of the drones on their side of the neighborhood had finally sputtered out, Adelaide had managed to web her magic, and the magic stolen from Takami, through every single remaining drone until not a single one, gun nor orb, remained untouched by her spell or floating in the sky. He made sure to catch her if she would stagger back, he couldn't imagine how exhausting that could have been. Even though there were still more of them in the sky, the remaining half around the barrier, he had to make sure Adelaide was okay first, lest she immediately jump into another spell without properly assessing the damage the first one may have done to her.

Takami found himself leaning against one of the brick walls, barely catching his breath, his catalyst all but faded. He began to cough up blood, his eyes looking upwards as the final swarm closed in around them. Energy blasts hit Samara's barrier, causing it to buckle. The energy that had once been so solid began to ripple like a stone in a pool of water until it finally gave out. With a scream, the partition fell, leaving her and everybody inside exposed.

"Guess this is it, huh?" She asked her bird, leaning her head against Priscilla on her shoulder, nuzzling against her feathered face. "You're too stubborn to listen to me, aren't you? You won't leave me?" She asked and Priscilla shook her head, chirping into her mistress' ear. "Wait, what are you...?" She asked as her familiar began to flutter up and off of her shoulder and into the sky. For a moment, the tiny bird stood as the only division between Samara and the barrel of every drone that remained in the sky. "Priscilla...no....you can't..." Samara began to whimper, tears coming to her eyes as the drones trained on to the bird now. They seemed confused by the sudden fall of the barrier and now, the approach of a small magical bird, it had bought them time but it would only delay the inevitable. The drones were recalculating, they would fire towards Priscilla and then, through her, straight into Samara and her shop. "No!" She yelled a second time, her hand wrapped around her mother's pendant and her voice a blood-curdling scream that Adelaide and Isen would easily hear from the other side of the neighborhood. The barrel of each drone igniting as they launched a volley directed towards the witch and her faithful companion.

And then, the sky ignited.

Samara couldn't believe what she was seeing and, from the bright light and wave of heat, she could barely see anything to begin with. Her scream and touch had ignited the pendant once more, exhausting every last bit of residual magic still inside of her mother's keepsake but that magic did not move through Samara's body. It hadn't given the witch a third chance at taking down the drones, it didn't cast a spell to protect her or give her any sort of way out; the magic had drawn directly into Priscilla. Much like Ember before her, who looked on in the same shock as Samara did, Priscilla had changed. Samara hadn't figured out how to do it. It was a spell that had alluded her for years, she was so surprised and happy that Adelaide had done so and she had traced it down to a very volatile variable; emotion. Adelaide's distress and sadness had transformed Ember into a larger, ferocious cat, and her comfort and care for Isen had reverted Ember back to normal. In this moment, the only emotions Samara must have felt were concern, and perhaps fear. Concern for her beloved friend, not herself, and fear of what her life would be without her if she had somehow survived that blast.

She had given Priscilla everything she needed to find a higher form, with an assist from what was left behind by her mother, of course.

Black wings were replaced with golden red and orange, the air around her blazing hot from the flames that burned so bright, Samara had to lift her free hand to block it out as though she were staring directly into the heart of a sun. When the initial flash had faded, she could see with clear eyes what had become of her precious friend. Priscilla had changed form into a brilliant, burning bird, and the blasts that were aimed towards her had melted away from the heat of her body like they were nothing. Taking one last look back at Samara, Priscilla's wings flapped and with it, she ascended, crossing distance left between mistress and metal and cleaving through the drones, melting them away until they were nothing. More blasts were aimed towards the burning familiar, most of which were melted though some began to land, causing the bird to shriek in pain but continue on, chaining through each drone until they were all reduced to molten metal.

Priscilla's body was steaming as she came back down towards Samara, a job well done but at a great cost. Her body transformed back into it's smaller form but it remained golden and orange as she landed in Samara's hands. She was burning hot but Samara didn't feel a thing as she cradled her best friend within her arms and watched her tiny eyes close for the final time. The tears flowed freely, dropping from her eyes and sizzling against feathers beneath, boiling away water and salt into vapor. "No...how could you..." She whimpered into Priscilla's body, holding her close in her arms one last time. "So stubborn, so..." This wasn't the way she wanted her future to change. Priscilla was supposed to out live her, to go with Adelaide and Isen, to live a life after Samara was gone and now, she was left to mourn the one true friend who had carried her through the darkest moments of her life.

A light against the dark. A Phoenix.

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry. Please, don't go..."

The sound of magic fizzling out came first, then footsteps broke through the quiet reverberation of a tearful woman's cries. Samara looked up from the source of her pain, expecting to see Adelaide and Isen coming towards her but it wasn't them. Of course, it couldn't be them. This man looked at her with pure rage in his eyes. This man was armored from head to toe, weapon drawn as he approached the powerful witch before him without a sense of fear. This man was General Orion Van Dyne, murderer of her mother.

"Mourning your mother, still, or are those tears for your weak, little familiar? They keep sacrificing themselves for you, it really doesn't make sense, does it? You're so far from worth it."

Samara carefully laid Priscilla's body down onto the concrete and pulled herself up to her feet, as desperately as she could. Every inch of her body ached, every part of her soul stung with a pain worse than anything physical. She looked upon the man who had ruined her life and heard him taunt her, making light of the sacrifices made to keep her safe. Samara's hand curled into a fist, magic swirling around it, though weakly. She brought it into the man's chest but his armor absorbed the shock and he pushed her back against the wall with one arm, knocking the wind out of her. Her outfit protected her from the impact, but not the after shock.

"I should have never let you live. You've been nothing but a thorn in my side for years, years! And now look what you've done. You've ruined everything I've worked for, everything we've worked for. You've doomed this city, these people. We'll need to start from the beginning, but now they'll see it coming, it will never work again." He was rambling like a man possessed, mad and crazed with thirst for power. The manipulative man who had ensnared her mother's heart stood over her with utter disdain etched into his face as he rose his weapon heartlessly above the fallen, defeated witch with intent to strike.

The destruction of the drones might have been a more beautiful sight had she not been so concentrated on her magic, the effort of it all quickly taking its toll on the mage's body as she staggered back and allowed Isen to be her anchor. She drew strength from him, even if she couldn't use his magic against the drones, she drew the strength she needed to stand tall and fight against them until she had exhausted any reserves she had for the battle. Takami had stayed behind with Samara and the familiars, leaving just Isen and Adelaide to stand against the drones from their current rooftop until the last one near them fell with a deafening crash and whirring of broken motors.

"Shit, Samara." Adelaide whipped around at the sound of the witch's scream, stumbling and catching herself on Isen as the entire sky lit up with brilliant colors. The intensity of the light caused Adelaide to raise a hand to shield her eyes from it and she squinted, trying to see through it all to figure out what was going on.

"Ember, what the fuck is going on over there?!"

"The bird is huge, mistress, and so bright." Her familiar's voice echoed in her head, full of awe as the cat backed away from the light and ducked behind Samara to shield herself.

"That's Priscilla?!" Samara had finally figured out how to transform her familiar, which the mage normally would have assumed to be a good thing, but the fact that she couldn't see what was going on past all of the light and the sound of drones was extremely concerning. "We need to get back there, Isen. We need to get back there now." The magic in her catalyst wasn't cooperating with her after she'd expended so much energy weaving her magic to the drones and destroying them, and she stomped her foot with an angry growl and strode toward the edge of the roof.

The drones she could see hovering near the alley of Samara's shop were being decimated, melting away and shrieking as they reduced to nothing more than bubbling piles of gray speckled with the miscellaneous colors of their innards. Then the light was gone, the familiar absent from the sky as Adelaide adjusted to the sky once more and tried to assess the situation.

"Mistress, someone is here!"

"Fuck! Isen, we need to go and this stupid ring isn't working! We need to go now."

Isen could hardly believe his eyes when he saw what was happening above Samara's shop. A bird, pure of flame, painted the sky orange and red, burning as bright as any star he had ever seen in the sky, utterly destroying the left over drones until not a single one remained in the sky to fire down on the city below. He couldn't hear what Ember was saying but from Adelaide's reaction, it seemed as though that was Priscilla? How was that even possible?

"She finally did it. If that stupid bird was more like that all of the time, she wouldn't be so damn obnoxious." Ignas commented, unaware of the fate that would await the bird he and Ember so detested when the fireworks had come to an end.

Adelaide couldn't get her ring to cooperate, probably due to how much magic she had just used, meaning if they were to get back down to Samara, they would need to do it on their own. Without Ember's voice in his head, he had no idea Samara was in any danger, but Adelaide's urgency was enough to kick him into motion and he moved to her side, looping her arm over his neck so he could lift her. "Hold on, I'll get us down there." He warned her before beginning to descend their way down to the concrete below.

~~~

Samara braced herself for impact, raising her arm weakly to try and block the swing of the general's weapon. She felt nothing, however, hearing the sound of weapons clashing as Takami's blade intercepted the attack. He tried to match strength with Orion but he had nothing left in the tank, there wasn't enough energy in his body to truly match up. He had tried to save Samara but it meant nothing when Van Dyne sent him across the alley and into a dumpster, crumpling the warrior in on himself. "Traitor. You will get yours when the time comes." He scoffed in Takami's direction, turning back towards Samara.

Takami may not have been able to save her, but he had provided a sufficient distraction. Mustering what little she had left, she had cast a spell in desperation. When the general's weapon struck her body, it passed through the illusion she had left behind. He smirked, as though he had expected this sort of trick from a witch who specialized in illusions. She had gotten behind him, weaving her magic into a bind that she brought around the general's neck. It seared against his armor as she tried to wedge it up and underneath his helmet so that her magic could burn through the skin of his throat freely but much like Takami, she was too far gone by this point to even attempt to do this properly. He reached over his head, grabbing a handful of her hair and pulled her over his shoulder, down onto the concrete with a thud. Samara's suit absorbed the pain of the impact, once more, but not the shock that rippled through her body afterwards.

"No more tricks." Orion told her as he pulled her back up, pinning her to the wall of her shop with one hand while the other gripped the handle of his weapon. "Say hello to your mother for me. I'd say that I miss her, but, it isn't polite to lie to somebody on their death bed." The sharp blade of his arcane weapon wedged it's way into Samara's stomach, angled upwards, piercing straight through her torso and into the brick beyond. She didn't scream, she couldn't. It was more of a whimper as she felt her life being driven straight out of her body. When the blade retracted, she sank down into a seated position against the wall, clutching the wound at her stomach. She was trying to weave her magic into healing but there was nothing coming out of her finger tips, there was nothing left.

General Orion, having fatally injured the last remaining member of a witch's bloodline, seemed satisfied with himself for finally doing what he felt he should have done ages ago.

As Isen got closer, he heard the threat and picked up speed but even with his enhanced ability, by the time they came around the corner, they were too late to do anything other than to witness the blade being removed from Samara's body. Absolute rage coursed through his body the instant he saw what had happened. He drew Onigoshi and made a mad dash straight towards the savage general who turned his head, saw Isen approaching and produced the teleportation device he had used to arrive here, the same he had activated when he kidnapped Adelaide the first time. Just like before, the first time they had faced off with one another, Isen's attack swung at thin air when the general vanished from view, abandoning the heartbreaking scene he had caused.

"Ignas, shut the fuck up! I am in no mood to listen to you whine!" Adelaide screamed at the demon, frantically trying to work a teleportation spell only to fail repeatedly. Ember's voice was echoing just as frantically in her head as the familiar scrambled about trying to keep herself safe, eyeballing the general with pure hatred as she hissed and backed away down the alley.

"What is going on down there?!" Adelaide held onto Isen tightly as they descended from the roof and to the streets, clutching at him and focusing on taking deep breaths in an attempt to center both her emotions and her control on her own magic so she could be of use again. "Something's wrong, Isen. Something's very, very wrong." The magic she'd sensed exploding from Priscilla had disappeared not long after the bird had left the sky, but she had assumed that was just the familiar losing her strength as she returned to her mistress. She hadn't expected to see the general in the alley when they arrived, or the blood pouring from Samara's stomach.

"Oh no, no." She stumbled when Isen first set her down, jolting to the side and out of the way as he drew his sword and rushed the general only for the man to disappear. "Fuck, no, no. Samara!" She ran to the witch's side and fell to her knees, pressing her hands down over the wound and trying to pull her magic into a semblance of order so that she could help to heal the wound.

"Come on Samara, we can do this. You can't die, you're supposed to go with us so we can kill that bastard!" Of all the people that could have injured the witch, fate had been cruel enough to send the man who had murdered her mother. "Isen, give me your jacket, we need to stop the bleeding!" Her own hands were shaking as she tried to weave her magic, staring at the empty air as blood coated fingers pressed into Samara's bloody side and tried to slow the bleeding.

"Fuck!"

Samara's hand lifted, near lifelessly, to rest on top of Adelaide's against her stomach. Her eyes opened, seeing the girl she called her protégé trying to come to her aid and a small smile returned to her pained lips. "It won't...it won't work, you know that." She told her, shaking her head. Samara had imparted the knowledge that healing magic couldn't bring back the dead, it would only fix minor injuries, this was not something that could be fixed with a spell, even if she was strong enough to do it herself.

Isen shrugged his jacket off and handed it to Adelaide as soon as she requested it, with no hesitation, but after he had handed it over, his fist collided with the nearby dumpster, causing it to dent easily from the force of the punch that left his knuckles red and bloodied for Ignas to mend. He was so angry, so damn angry. He let it happen again. He was too slow. He kept playing it back in his head, it was like the exact same thing that happened before. Just a step faster and his sword would have connected but he had failed, again.

It wouldn't have saved her life. But it would have felt damn good to finally give that asshole what he deserved.

"A-Adelaide..." Her weakened voice began again. She was struggling to find words, to draw breath. She had lost a lot of blood, very quickly, she was barely hanging on by a thread. "So...so nice to see you b-before I go..." She continued. Despite what had happened, she was still smiling, though tears were beginning to well up in her eyes again. She had barely gotten over the grief of Priscia before fate had to be so cruel as to send to her the last person on the planet she wanted to see in such a weakened state. It was almost too coincidental. "Isen..." She addressed him next and he came back over towards the two of them, kneeling down. He could barely keep eye contact with her. He didn't want to see this because seeing it meant it was real.

He wasn't the biggest fan of Samara but this still hurt. It stung every human emotion he had and there wasn't enough dark magic in Ignas to dull that pain. This wasn't supposed to happen. They were supposed to change this horrible future. They were supposed to win.

"Take care of each other, please."

"Why are you talking like this is a goodbye? It's not." He protested, shaking his head. "This has to be an illusion, right? Go ahead, cast some sort of spell, fix this." He was talking to Samara but his words could have easily been directed towards Adelaide as well, his voice wavering as he showed sadness. True, honest sadness. A sadness that was not derived from the death of his sister or his awful past, this was a sadness coming from him genuinely caring about another person here and now, not ten years ago but in the present. Of all the times for him to begin to feel anything at all, why did it have to be just before tragedy? Hadn't he suffered enough?

Samara laughed, quietly, a cough soon following as she longed for air. "Promise me you'll end this...for me. All those Dissonants...and the people of this city, they need you both. I told you, you'd be h-heroes." She laughed again but no further laughs would come from her, she couldn't expend the energy. If this was what a hero did, Isen wanted no part of it. He couldn't save someone close to him, what hope did anybody else have? What hope did Adelaide have?

Samara sighed, letting her hand fall away from the wound at her stomach. "You have to keep going...together, you're both capable of incredible things. I couldn't be more proud to call you my pr-pro-..." She paused, correcting herself. "My friend. My close, dearest friend. I've never really had friends before...just Priscilla...she was a good girl, the best.."

"Samara, you have to get up. We can't do this without you. You have t-"

"Isen."

"Shut up."

"Isen."

"What!?"

"...this isn't an illusion. You need to accept that."

Isen grew silent as Samara frowned, hearing the anger in his voice. "Don't be mad...don't cry over little old me. I played my part, I helped a lot of people...I made a difference, right?" She asked, looking for confirmation to bring her smile back. "I love you, both...I'm sorry I can't stay but I'm happy I got to know you and that I got to be a part of your story. Now, make the ending count, alright?"

Samara lifted her hand to her mother's pendant, curling her fingers around it. Unlike before, it didn't come to life with light or magic, it remained dull and dormant. She cast her gaze to the side, towards the resting body of Priscilla then let her eyes drift shut. "Mom, we did it..." She whispered, to herself. Their future had changed, even if her fate hadn't been altered. "I can't wait to see you again. It's been...so long and I've been so tired...I can't wait...to be together again..."

Being the last of her line, with Samara ended a lineage with a gift. A gift to see the future, to peer into possibilities yet to come with the terrible burden of being unable to speak of the things that they've seen. She had seen hundreds of life times of potential futures, some of which came true, others she managed to change or were derailed by unforeseen circumstance. She had seen Adelaide and Isen coming to her and, she had seen the great things they were to do in the future. She saw the change they would bring, she saw the hope they could inspire in a city of misfits and leftovers that sorely needed it. She saw an end and she gave her everything to change it, even her life.

As Samara's heart slowed and prepared to pump it's final beat, her eyes shimmered with light one last time, the way they had before, beyond her closed lids. The foresight she had lost had returned to her, if only for a moment, showing her a new future. She saw something that brought her great comfort, an outcome that she could only have dreamed of. She saw how it ended. She saw the new destiny of her companions and in that final, dying moment, she knew things were going to be okay.

She just knew.

She knew things. That was what she did.

"It has to work!" Samara snatched the jacket from Isen and pressed it down on the wound, flinching as Isen slammed his fist into the dumpster not far from them. She understood him being furious and frustrated with the situation, but was that really going to help? Hell, could she even blame him when she wanted to put her fist through a living being to punish him for what he'd done? The general was going to die, one way or another.

"Yeah, we will." While Isen was still in denial about Samara bleeding out before them, Adelaide was coming to accept it as she eased up the pressure against the witch's stomach. There was nothing more she could do, not even if her magic and energy had been at full capacity. It didn't matter what they did now, Priscilla was dead and Samara was going to follow after her at any moment. Even Ember knew the witch wouldn't make it, the cat rubbing its face against her leg and purring softly in a small attempt to comfort her in her final moments.

"Isen, just stop." Adelaide's voice sounded hollow as she wiped at her wet eyes, her other hand loosely holding Samara's as the witch gave her final wishes and spoke of her mother. "You did it, Samara, your mother would be proud. Go be with her, and we'll see you again someday." Her intention to teleport away and draw the drones from Samara had been to protect the witch and the two familiars, and yet only Ember remained of the three that had been left behind. Takami was nowhere in sight, although Adelaide could faintly feel the magic from his catalyst nearby.

"Fuck!" Adelaide released Samara and pushed to her feet just as Isabella came barreling into the alley, another vampire hot on her heels trying to pull her back by her sweater. Isabella tore away from the man and came skidding to a stop a few feet away, her eyes wide as she panted and looked from Samara to Adelaide who was wiping her bloodied hands on her pants.

"Is she..."

"Find Takami and take care of her body, and Priscilla's. I'm going to fucking murder that bastard." Ember growled softly as she moved to Adelaide's side, looking up at her furious mistress inquisitively. "No, Ember, I need you to stay here, I can't have you getting caught up too. It's bad enough we lost Priscilla and Samara, I want you to stay here and protect everyone else until we come back." Ember huffed but made no move to stop Adelaide, sauntering over to where Isabella had crouched beside Samara to feel her pulse.

"Fuck. Go on, Ada, do what you gotta do. We'll be here when you get back. Kill every last one of those bastards." Adelaide barely nodded as she stalked away from Samara and out of the alley, already knowing Isen would follow without having to look back.

"I'm going to make the bastard choke on his own blood, and I'm going to make sure that Lorelei watches him take his last breath before I kill her myself."

Through out Adelaide's entire conversation with Isabella, Isen was quiet. In fact, he had been quiet since Ignas had told him to accept that there was nothing they could do to save her. The demon in his head could feel his grief and even he had the better judgment not to say anything else, to remain silent while he tried to process these feelings and emotions that he could hardly understand.

Adelaide was already making plans and he very much liked the sound of them.

He wanted to look back, but he couldn't The sight of their fallen friend and her familiar had already been seared into his mind anyways, he didn't need to see any more to know that she was gone.

"Make the ending count, alright?"

There was nothing he wanted more.

"Be safe, furball. We will end this."
Ignas told Ember as Isen passed by Adelaide's familiar with intent of meeting back up with the cat's mistress on their march towards the Summit.

He caught up with Adelaide before she exited the alley .They walked over fallen drones and pieces of machinery and out into a street that was eerily quiet. Everybody had stowed themselves inside, or even fled, upon seeing the swarm move in. With each step they took farther into the city, they revealed more destruction that had been caused before they had taken the fleet down. Buildings that once stood tall and proud had been caved in from the impact of arcane blasts, small diners and cafes leveled by the after math. There were bodies, some human, some Dissonant, Isen didn't stop to confirm their identity. At this point, it didn't matter which side had been lost, the outcome had been the same.

They were insane. That damn general was certifiably batshit insane. There was no other explanation. Him and every single one of them.

Isen still hadn't spoken, but what could he even say? There were no words to cure the pain Adelaide was feeling and he wouldn't be able to make any of his jumbled thoughts make sense in the first place. It was Ignas who broke the silence once they had gotten a couple of blocks away.

"Isen. Do you want me to try and take it away?" Ignas finally asked, meaning the sadness and anger that he felt.

"No." He responded, though he almost wished he couldn't feel any of it. That would be too easy. He wouldn't feel the same satisfaction when he plunged his sword through Orion Van Dyne's chest. "I couldn't forget it even if you tried."

"You're going to like this, Ignas, because you'll get to kill whoever gets in our way and I won't try to stop you. The only person you can't touch is Roland if he's there, otherwise I want you to slaughter everyone you see until I can choke the life out of that bastard and his wife." Lorelei could in no way be considered her family anymore, not after what had transpired at the summit. Not only had the drones gone haywire and killed Dissonants rather than just steal their power or lock them away, but it had also killed innocent, normal people as well. The proof was all over the city as they strode down the sidewalk examining the damage, the destruction of the buildings, the corpses laying haphazardly wherever they fell and were abandoned.

It was like walking through a ghost town now, no one dared to step outside of their homes or businesses after what the DSTF had done. They had screwed themselves over with the general's madness, making the town's inhabitants feel unsafe in their own homes and streets. The general had probably even frightened some of his own people if they hadn't expected the whole massacre, but Adelaide didn't care if they knew or not. They were all going to die if she had her way.

"If those were all the drones that they had, then they have no way to directly stop our magic now." She spoke without turning her head, continuing to walk forward with purpose as they made their way toward the DSTF building. "Once we walk through those doors, that place is going to become a bloodbath. For once, I welcome it."

"I look forward to the bloodshed but do not get reckless." For a moment, it almost sounded like Ignas cared, but Isen knew better than to believe that.

The longer they spent in the ghost-like streets of a city that had once been so busy, the more it began to set in just how bad things had gotten. The reputation of the DSTF had been forever damaged, there was no way this was what Orion intended. After that display, the only thing they've done is scare the rest of the population into being terrified of them. They may still hold order, but it was fully out of fear now. There was no angle they could play to try and pretend it was protection or for the good of the public, they had really shot themselves in the foot. Not that it mattered, there wouldn't be a DSTF for much longer.

The plaza that had once been full of people was deserted with craters forced into the cobblestone where the drones had fired into the crowd. There were still bodies, the DSTF hadn't even bothered to clean up their mess. It felt wrong for Isen to simply walk over them like they weren't there. He thought he had become desensitized to death but even this was getting to him. The stench, the eerie silence, it was too much.

Approaching the front door of the building they once had to sneak into, he found no resistance waiting for them. It was possible there was nobody inside but, more likely, they just didn't have enough people left to defend it. A lot of their guards likely left them after realizing what they were a part of, and all of their drones were destroyed as well.

"It's you. Both of you. You're...here." A voice came from the side and, peaking over a broken divider, was a vampire, one of the few survivors of the the attack. He was injured, but not dead, trembling with fear. "You're going in there?"

"We're going to put an end to this."

"I..I don't know if that's a good idea. They're all inside, you know."

"All?"

"After the attack...they all retreated inside in a hurry. Guards, their special folks, even the general's wife. I was...I was waiting for one of them to come out, y'know. To get them back for what they've done but, I don't have the nerve and nobody's moved from that building since it happened."

Which meant they were all in one place, defenseless. As long as Adelaide could handle her grandmother, Isen would take care of Orion and the rest would be easy pickings for them now that they couldn't negate their magic.

Isen nodded towards the vampire and began to walk past him.

"W-wait. You're...you're not what they say you are, are you?"

"We're everything they say we are and worse. They're about to find out all about that."

"N-no. I don't think so. None of us do! The two of you were fighting to stop this before it ever happened, to protect people like me, you and, and that witch down the street. Heroes, that's what you are. You don't know what you've come to mean to people like us."

Samara would be proud to hear them called that, at least.

"Go to that witch's shop. There are others like you, they gathered there for protection. You can find safety, wait there until this is all over."

"Y-yes, Mister Reaper."

Ignas chuckled and Isen sighed. "Don't call me that. My name is Isen."

"Y-yes, right. Sorry, Mister Isen. Good luck a-and thank you."

Isen let out and groan and began walking towards the front entrance.

"Be careful, Mister Isen. Watch out, Mister Isen."

"Ignas."

He laughed to himself again. "What? It was funny."

Isen ignored the voice in his head and instead, gave his attention to Adelaide. "Straight through the front?" He asked, though he didn't stop walking, already knowing she would be with him when he pushed those doors open. He drew Onigoshi into his hand and kicked them open, busting the lock, stepping straight into the lobby of the building.

Last edited:
"Don't act like you care, demon." Adelaide muttered under her breath and continued walking, grateful for the warmth the clothing offered since she hadn't worn her coat out. Samara had said it would keep them warm, and even though she was gone the remnants of her power were still coursing through the fabric keeping them warm and safe. A glance down at her bloodied hands made Adelaide grimace, she hadn't had time to wipe the blood properly from her skin before storming off to rampage the facility.

"I don't care if they're inside." She spoke to the vampire that had appeared seemingly out of nowhere, crossing her arms over her chest and staring them down coldly. "I don't care who's inside, how many there are, we're going in and we're going to kill them all." She couldn't help but to feel a bit bad for the vampire who had wanted to badly to be brave and strike back in vengeance for the fallen, for the chaos, but found themselves unable to gather the courage to enter the facility.

"The witch was a hero." She hated the lump that formed in her throat as she struggled momentarily to speak. "Go where he said. Talk to Isabella and let her know who sent you." She watched him scamper off toward the direction of Samara's shop before she turned back toward the door, unable to stop from laughing at Ignas' mocking commentary. In the heat of everything going on, it was just so ridiculous.

"Straight through the front. Let them know we're here, I don't care. No more hiding." She was far too furious to care about being sneaky, they could come to her and she would snuff the life out of every last one that Isen didn't cut down with Onigoshi.

"Oh good, they left a poor soul to watch the front doors." She could spot a man across the lobby huddled behind one of the desks, just a fraction of his body hanging out so he could spot them and alert the others. "Ignas, you'll forgive me if I steal a little of your magic to mix with my own. I'm not really in an asking mood." Adelaide's tone was cold as she disappeared and reappeared across the room, not giving the man a second to run before she'd kicked and then planted her boot on his chest.

"Where are they?" He wheezed and looked up at her with wide eyes, waving his hands about and trying to shake his head.

"I-I don't know. D-different places. They made me stay here, I swear I-I didn't know what was going to happen." Did she believe him? Even then, did she truly care?

"Ignas? You want blood? Here's your first."

Back
Top Bottom