Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Orient Express - East of Stuttgart

Name: Jane Marple
@Vinaein

Was Britain poised to hinder the ongoing fascist take over spreading through Europe at the hands of a failed and bitter painter risen to political power? If Jane was honest she was unsure. Chances were, with or without the political leanings of King Edward VIII, that Britain would stand at the sidelines and watch until the threat was on their own doorstep. They would rely on their navy, as usual, to keep any potential invading forces from landing on their shores. Would Prime Minister Baldwin act if France fell into the clutches of a German occupation, if Belgium fell or the Netherlands? Possibly, but not certainly. It was a difficult question to give even a summarised answer to. Then again they had entered into war with Germany in 1914 under the premise of protecting Belgium, and unofficially to avoid the fall of France to Germany, though in the end it presumably came down to keeping the Germans from gaining any sort of foothold on the English Channel.
"Somehow, at some point, should Hitler and his Nazi-party act on their declarations," Jane said and nodded pensively as if she was unsure of how to sow the thought into an answer to the question.
"Britain did once before," she concluded to remind the count.
"Sadly that war lead to much of Eastern Europe falling into the clutches of the Soviet Union, bit it also lead to many nations rising from the dust of the fallen double monarchy of Austria-Hungary."
She made a face and looked into his eyes.
"I can not answer for the entire nation, or even the government I work for as a whole, though personally I would resign should King Edward influence the government to seek an alliance, or even a non-aggression pact, with Hitler, and work for all and any organised group resisting the spread of fascism."

She pulled her arm away from him and tilted her head to the side.
"No. We are not yet done, but there are other things, of a more pressing nature, that needs to be dealt with. Find me here again once you can deliver both the briefcase and the key to open it, and we will continue our talk. Now please ..."
She said and unlocked the door, opening it just a crack.
"Go see to Estella, make sure she is safe from those bastards in uniform. I have people to see, questions to ask."

Name: Count Aleksander
@MsBloom @Shiva the Cat @captain_bond @Traveler

The weight of what he had just heard circled through Aleksander's mind....and he knew then if Edward VIII continued to sit the throne there would be trouble. Any fool could have seen that Hitler would bever be satisfied with the scant crumbs he had gained in becoming head of Germany. There would be a reckoning, too hungry were the wolves for what had been taken from them, thought the Count grimly. He looked at Jane, wondering if he might be able to trust her, remaining the hrrors of the war as it had ravaged across Eastern europe. Even his home...

He repressed a shudder, taking a deep breath as he tried to consider everything before them. "You are correct," he murmured about Britain. "But that was then. This is now. Somehow I doubt France would hold to the same as before...and the Ottomans are gone." His eyes narrowed. "And there was no Soviet Union then..." The words about Edward were not encouraging as he allowed Jane to go.

"Very well..." he added as he departed, keeping an eye on Jane...before he went to see what he could find on the train. Be it Estella or someone else...

Last edited:
"Heiress, huh?" Estella mused as she raised her cup to her lips. Not impossible, she supposed. But if Jane was old money, that increased her likelihood of loyalty to the crown, which made her all the more dangerous. "She is certainly different, there's no denying that."

The subject soon turned from Miss Eyelesbarrow to Mr. Benjamin (Wesley she told herself. He's Mr. Wesley now), a change the singer welcomed wholeheartedly, especially considering the ease at which Leo seemed to embrace her suggestions. "Hear hear!" she cheered softly, clinking her coffee cup against his tea, draining it to the dregs in his honor. "Not that I think your card is exactly punched just yet, but judging by how things went back there--" she thumbed towards the direction of the baggage car. "--I'd say it's getting pretty full. But once things have calmed down a bit, how 'bout you come back to my compartment and I'll get you some names out of my little black book? No promises anything will come of it of course, but names are the least I can get you after getting us caught like that."

She shook her head and rose to her feet, ready for another drink. "Baggage car, what was I thinking?" she muttered, holding up one finger towards Leo. "Don't move a muscle now, I'll be back in two shakes of a lamb's tail."

And she was, with a fresh cup of coffee in hand (just coffee this time, no point in getting sloshed this early in the morning). But as Estella sat down again in the corner seat, she noticed with some surprise and relief that the Count had entered the lounge, a searching look on his face. The singer raised her free hand in an attempt to get his attention.

"Oh, Your Excellency, good morning!" she greeted, as though they hadn't spent the night together. "Won't you come join us? You remember Mr. Wesley, don't you?" Estella's eyes were clear and firm as she stared into Aleks', warning him against correcting her. "He was kind enough to inquire after my health after that little incident last night."

The laugh that followed was casual, but strangely hollow. Was it Estella's imagination, or was the train beginning to slow down? Stuttgart already? she wondered. Well, hopefully the authorities would see to the body and remove it, then they could all be on their way. She had no desire to bring that unpleasantness up now.

"Did you know Leo here is actually American?" the dark-haired woman remarked as she sipped her coffee. "Spent a fair amount of time in Boston. I think you mentioned traveling through the States a bit, haven't you Aleks? Are you familiar with New England at all?"

Try as she might to keep the conversation light and lively, there was no hiding the tension that rippled through the car when the announcement came that the train would be delayed in Stuttgart. Estella's knuckles turned white as she gripped her cup, her hand shaking as she brought it to her lips again and threatening to spill the contents over her ensemble.

"Well gentlemen...at least the refreshments won't run out for a while." Estella tried to smile through her fear, but her eyes gave it all away.

Charles Walsh
Various Locations
@MsBloom
---------------------------
After scanning both dining cars and the lounge for the bespectacled woman, and not finding her anywhere, Charles mentally kicked himself for not taking the book when offered. He wondered idly if the conductor would have handed the Krauts his passport if he intended to go all the way through to Istanbul, but decided it wouldn't exactly be the best idea to inquire about it at the moment. Returning to the sleeping carriages, he ducked into his own sleeping compartment, grabbed his spare Walther, a Brausch silencer and twenty extra rounds of ammunition, and made sure they were all well-hidden before he knocked casually on Jane's door, deciding that knocking in the way he had told her to beforehand would come off too much like some kind of code or signal.

Last edited:

Miss Devereaux's enthusiasm made Leonard smile at her, especially when she cheered him for being willing to walk away from his life in order to save it. "I would appreciate that, Stella," he said when she offered to give him some names. "And think nothing of us getting caught back there. If it weren't for the circumstances, I would say that was the most entertaining episode I have ever endured in a baggage car."

He didn't remind her that he was the one who had guided them back into the carriage. He had simply not wanted to walk past the German soldiers. It would have probably done them better if he had; by trying to avoid them he only drew their attention on them both. It was a little like Jonah and his attempts to avoid Nineveh, only…Leo couldn't see himself being called by God to preach anything to the lot.

As Estella went to fetch herself another coffee, he took another moment to scan the carriage. This one was filled much fuller than the first-class lounge with chairs and tables set up cafeteria style. The passengers on this car seemed more subdued than those traveling more luxuriously, and some even seemed like they were bored by the trip, as if they made the same rounds every month. He stood when Estella returned, and as they both sat he followed her gaze towards the entry, half expecting the unnamed soldier who had accosted them to have returned. With a sigh of relief he realized it was Aleks.

He stood again, extending his hand in greeting to the man. "It's Leo," he said, correcting Estella. Just Leo for now, thank you." His eyes slid to regard the singer when she referred to the murder as 'the little incident last night.' He had thought the murder happened early this morning, perhaps while they were at breakfast. Still, he did not question her.

"Please, do join us," he echoed her invitation. "It's good to see you again."

"Did you know Leo here is actually American?" the dark-haired woman remarked as she sipped her coffee. "Spent a fair amount of time in Boston. I think you mentioned traveling through the States a bit, haven't you Aleks? Are you familiar with New England at all?"

Ah, bless her clever soul for making small talk. Just as he was about to ask Aleks what parts of the States he had been in, the conductor came in and made his announcement.

The conductor came through and quickly told people in as calm but loud a voice as he could manage. "Due to an unfortunate event, our stop in Stuttgart will be a little longer than normal. Please do not disembark from the train until the..." He gave just the slightest pause, as if he was having trouble acknowledging the word. "...authorities grant permission and match you with your passport. They may have some questions for anyone who may have witnessed the tragic events of this early morning." He repeated his message in French and German then headed on to the next car to presumably tell them the same thing.

He let his gaze drift over to Estella, the words "match you with your passport" echoing in his head. He could only hope the tall fellow who had questioned them would not be the ones comparing faces and names. He dropped his gaze and studied the contents on the table, including her trembling hands.

"Surely, they will be able to figure out when she came on board," he said. "Though…the time of death will be the indicating factor." He shook his head. "Did either of you notice what time we all went to our cabins last night? I think I turned in earlier than Mr. Walsh and Miss Eyelesbarrow, and you," he looked at Stella, "were feeling under the weather, were you not?" He wasn't accusing anyone, but considering how poorly he slept and how tired he already was, Leo was concerned he would mix up his memory and inadvertently point a finger at someone.

@captain_bond

Aleks had only just left and Jane had taken a moment to check herself in the mirror as she finished the cigarette, when there was another knock on her door. It was far too casual to be the Gestapo so she simply called to whomever it was to enter and then turned around to find Walsh standing there in the doorway. It was of course a coincidence, if such a thing even existed, but coincidences could be an advantage as well.
"I'm assuming you're here to talk about the murder as well," she said and with a gesture offered him to sit down.
"A curious thing is it not," she added after a deep drag on the cigarette which she then crushed into the ashtray.
"An anonymous young woman found dead and naked in an unoccupied sleeping compartment aboard the Orient Express right between the two stations where you were to meet with your contact, the courier carrying information vital to your assignment in Istanbul."
There was perhaps a hint of insinuation in her voice but nothing close to what she actually felt.

Charles Walsh
Jane's Compartment
@MsBloom

"Yes, very curious," Charles said as he closed the door. "Even curiouser that I supposedly rendezvoused with the courier after the woman was murdered. She told me that I should take her book with me, but before I could, the chambermaid screamed. I wonder what I would be holding in my hands if I hadn't jumped up. That woman in the glasses..." He trailed off, the gears turning in his brain. "Oh, and before I forget..." He pulled out the gun that he had wrapped in brown paper, same with the silencer and ammunition. He set it on the nightstand. "For you. Can't be too careful in this part of the world, can we?"

Sitting down and pulling out a cigarette, he blew out a long exhale of smoke before continuing. "I figured you might be here to keep an eye on me. You needn't bother looking over your shoulder for me. I'll slit my own wrist before I work for that mustachioed bastard or his jackbooted thugs." His voice was low, so as to not be overheard, but it was dripping with the hatred he had felt for the Nazi regime. Being part of the postwar contingent of "embassy staff" had resulted in a wonderful relationship with a certain Jewish girl. If only he had gotten Irma out before they instituted their race laws. The ring he had wanted to give her was sitting in a safety deposit box in London, but he felt like it was on his person and weighing him down in that moment. His shoulders slumped as if it were actually so. "I have...personal reasons for wanting Hitler gone, as well as ideological ones. Let us leave it at that for the moment, hmm?"

@captain_bond

"You've had your rendez-vous with the courier then, but did not take what she offered you?"
There was no small portion of reprimand to Jane's voice as if she couldn't believe what he was telling her, or that anyone, no matter how new to the spy game they were would make such a mistake.
"I take it then that you did return to find her gone and have since been looking from end to end for her?" Jane said and ignored the offered weapon.
She did however let him speak when he told her she need not look over her shoulders on his account and that he would rather commit suicide than work for the Nazi regime.
"Hmmm!," she said and nodded.
Her agreement to leave things at that did not in any way mean she would take her eyes off of him. She had heard quite enough sob stories from double agents attempting to earn trust through pity.
"And you have not found even a trace of her?" she continued her train of thought from before.
"Now that is even more curious. I wonder where she might have gone in such a short time as you spent at the murder scene."
Again there was insinuation in her voice but there was also a hint of something being clarified, as if something suddenly made sense.
"What was the book she offered you?" she asked a bit more sharply than intended.

Last edited:
Charles Walsh
Same Location
@MsBloom

Charles' answer was forthcoming. "On the Origin of Species. In German." He kicked himself mentally. "Fuck. I bet that bitch in the glasses works for the Krauts, and the dead girl is our courier. I just hope the real list isn't in the compartment anywhere. If it is, my mission is a bust or else we'd need to storm the bloody crime scene, which would be suicide on a good day. That woman. We need to find her. Now." He gave a complete description, right down to the dot on her sleeve, and waved his cigarette towards the door. "But we should work together. I promise you will not regret it."

@captain_bond

"A fitting book to be reading on a train passing through Germany in these times don't you think?"
Jane crossed her arms over her chest and tilted her head ever so slightly to the side and looked at the man with whom she shared a few moments of lust the night before.
"Perhaps a bit too fitting," she added after a moment's pause.
It was of course a book by a British scientist but it was one that had been used extensively in the name eugenics all over the world. The Nazi's certainly were inspired by it. But was is a book she herself would have chosen to deliver a secret list to a British agent. Possibly not. The idea reminded her of that phrase from Shakespeare's play about the Danish prince: The lady doth protest too much, methinks. It was simply a bit excessive. It could of course be the result of some supervisor's rather bizarre sense of humour.
"We do indeed need to find her," Jane agreed and pondered his trepidation.
He was right on most accounts, as it happened.
"And the matchbox?" she asked as it had put an idea in her mind that some things might be more related than they first appeared to be.

Charles Walsh
Same Location
@MsBloom

"Savoy Hotel, London. What are you on about?" He regarded his erstwhile partner for a moment before he started to put the pieces together. "Murrow," he said with a tone of certainty.

Count Aleksander
Lounge Car
@Shiva the Cat @Vinaein @xavierrol

The memories of Jane's words refused to leave Aleksaner's mind as he walked out into the cars, making sure he was not seen while he left Jane behind. The cars were all abuzz with chatter and with black-clad men, those there talking...and again, Aleksander saw a handsome, blond gentleman, hearing a Southern accent in his voice, evidently Louisianan perhaps?

"I am simply saying there is a way through this. Investigations have a way to them, my German friend. If you simply waltz about making people terrified of ya, it won't get nowhere."

The angry retort in German told Aleks to keep himself going towards the lounge car, just full of a variety of individuals there...people milling about to help themselves to drinks and meals. He looked for any familiar face and settled then upon Estella and...

There he was. That fellow from yesterday, whom Aleks had last seen in his pajamas. Mr. Leo Benjamin. His eyebrow lifted as he wondered just who on this bloody train knew anything and if they'd all run into one another. He took Leo's hand upon arrival. "count Aleksander Janos Nikolai Zelenski," he said. "It is...a pleasure to see you again as well..."

"Did you know Leo here is actually American?" Estella remarked as she sipped her coffee. "Spent a fair amount of time in Boston. I think you mentioned traveling through the States a bit, haven't you Aleks? Are you familiar with New England at all?"

"Several tiems," Aleksander grinned. "I have been to Boston...though mostlt my time west was in England, usually by ship, you see," he began before the conductor arrived...

"Ah, the time last night..." he wracked his mind. "It was....rather early for you. Later for the rest of us... "Why, Mr. Benjamin,is something being perhaps...insinuated?"

@captain_bond

Jane walked back to the door.
"You keep looking for your missing woman. I have people I need to talk to," she said in a tone that suggested the meeting was over.
"Or if you feel it is necessary you can have a look around at the murder scene for the list."
She placed a hand on the handle to the door to further hint that the meeting was over.
"And take that thing with you too."
She nodded at the pistol.
"Far too messy and too loud, even with that cumbersome thing attached to it. And where would you suggest I hide it," she added and held out her arms as if daring him to point to anywhere on her body where a pistol could be concealed.

Charles Walsh
Same Location
@MsBloom

Jane's abrupt and rather rude dismissal made him wish to retort where he thought she could hide it...or stick it. But he bit his tongue and scooped up the offending weapon and swept from the compartment and walked back to his own in an irritated sort of manner. He would have to have a talk when he got back to London to the Chief about chains of command and employing bisexual female agents. Damned woman was too independent for her own good. He entered his compartment and shut the door with a snap.

@Shiva the Cat @Vinaein @Traveler

Having been interrupted in her breakfast, like most everyone else it seemed Jane figured that the best place to look for Estella would be in one of the dining cars. There were a few things she wanted to talk to her about that had not been entirely cleared up during their nightly encounter. There were also new details she wanted to ask her about and maybe confirm or refute, among those the possibility that the singer might actually know more about the woman Walsh had met with in the belief that she was the courier he was supposed to meet. If only he hadn't screwed up even such a simple task by rushing off without taking what she had offered him.

If it was as she suspected, and clearly as it had dawned upon Walsh as well, that the bespectacled woman with the golden jacket was indeed not the actual courier but an operative for the Nazi regime probably trying to feed false information to Walsh while taking the real list to the Gestapo, then perhaps Estella might know more than she knew about the woman in question, perhaps also more about the murder of MP Murrow.

When Jane entered the lounge car she did notice that the count had actually found Estella who were seemingly having coffee with Leo. The two had made off to the baggage compartment together after all, probably trying to hide from the German officer who might have demanded their names and with a name like Leo's there was sure to be trouble regardless of whether either of them had anything to do with the murder, or not. It was perhaps a desperate move but quite understandable. It was equally understandable that the two had decided to have something to drink together to calm their nerves after what had happened. Murder was after all not something most people were ever confronted with that up close. It was something they read about in the papers.
"Good Morning," she said politely and asked if the fourth seat around the table was taken.

"I'm not sure what time we ultimately retired," Estella said slowly, avoiding looking directly at Aleks. "But His Excellency was kind enough to keep a guard up for me through the night. In case of ah, relapses, you know." It did not seem necessary to point out that said guard was in the Count's own compartment, nor that there was very little sleeping involved. "But we were together all night," she added firmly, hoping that would cement the alibi. "We only parted perhaps fifteen or twenty minutes before you and I met in the corridor, Leo, and surely by then the poor woman was...well, from the little glimpse I got, I think she must have been in that state for quite a while."

She shivered, leaning into the corner of the booth. At least she could continue to be sure of Aleks' innocence in the matter. Leo might have drawn a little suspicion, considering his proximity to the victim and his unaccounted whereabouts the night before, but as Estella studied his face, he just didn't seem to have the nerve for such a nasty business. Besides, he'd have to be mad to try and draw even more attention to himself, now that they were in Germany.

The singer might have continued to turn the ideas over in her mind, primarily to keep herself from thinking of the upcoming interrogation, but before she could draw any solid conclusions the morning got a great deal worse.

"Good morning," said Jane Eyelesbarrow, appearing like Hamlet's ghost and looking just as pleased as pie. For god's sake, does nothing faze that broad? Estella thought beside her glare, willing herself not to think of the feel of those pillowy lips against her own and the long, tapered fingers slipping inside her. Did the British bitch really think she could just waltz up to their table and ask to sit down as though nothing had happened between them?

Apparently.

Several moments passed as the singer waited for one or more of her gentleman companions to politely tell the other woman to fuck right off, thank you very much. Although such an outcome was unlikely from poor Leo, she was surprised Aleks didn't say something, considering how miffed he'd been about catching them last night. Finally to break the silence, Estella shrugged carelessly and turned her head so she could look out the window.

"It's a free country," she muttered, irony dripping in her voice. "Do whatever you like. I'm sure you will anyway. Have any of you got a smoke?"

She was beginning to regret not fetching her purse from her compartment and was tempted to go and get it herself, though the idea of being caught by that icy-eyed official when she was all alone was enough to keep her in her seat. For now.

Reinhard Müller
First Class Sleeping Car outside the murder scene​
@Vinaein

Reinhard was not much accustomed to being questioned, let alone contradicted. "This is not Louisiana, you have no jurisdiction here and I can assure you the Reich has the very best in forensic abilities." He was clearly losing his patience with the American but rather than dismiss him entirely he had a thought of his own. "As a professional courtesy, however, you may interview the only witness I have, so far. The chamber maid who found the victim, she is in the crew's quarters you may question her there. Her name is Jeudith, she won't be hard to find. She is a Negress, I the police in Louisiana have ways with her kind." He said as if their respective prejudices gave them something of a common ground.

@captain_bond

The gestapo Sturmbannführer noticed a man, by the looks of him English, abruptly enter a compartment and shut the door with a snap. He reached into a pocket of his uniform and pulled out a handful of passports, each with a small bookmark noting compartment numbers and various small notes regarding the owner of each one. He matched the compartment number with the door which had been closed moments before. "Charles Walsh" He said to himself as he looked at the picture on the passport, seeming to be a match he decided he would start with him. Several reports among the crew suggested he had been behaving oddly and paired with being British, it warranted a closer look.

He signaled for two of his men to flank him from just behind, their short MP40 submachine guns display the unquestioned authority of the Reich on German soil. He then rapped three times in an authoritative fashion that would be obvious to the man just entering his compartment. He would not wait long, before knocking a second time if needed.

Charles Walsh
@xavierrol

Charles knew that knock meant the Krauts had decided he was going to be the first one that was interrogated. He quickly hid both his weapon and the one that he was going to give to Jane somewhere that made hardly any noise when moved, and answered the door. "Yes?", he said in nearly un-accented German. "C-can I help you, sir?", he continued, putting just the right amount of fear into his voice. He was calm, inwardly at least, certain of his innocence in the murder. But not knowing what sort of man this was, he thought that acting scared would be in his best interests. He did have his steel-capped shoes, if worst came to worst, and he had bested tougher thugs than these before, and armed with less at that.

Aleks was a well-traveled man, it appeared, and Leo nodded when the count said he had been through Boston, but usually spent time in England by sea. The attorney decided that being born wealthy was reason enough to have traveled extensively. He didn't need a reason. And at Alek's question about insinuations, he dropped his gaze to the teacup in his hand. "Not…insinuated, per se," he said, carefully selecting his wording. "I'm in the compartment adjacent to where that dastardly murder occurred. I've already been questioned once, of sorts," he kept his eyes on Aleks to not incriminate Stella, "and no doubt will be questioned again. I suppose…I do not want to contradict what either of you have to say. If I were to misremember when I saw you last and it did not coincide with the time you gave the investigator it could point blame where there is none."

He turned to look at Estella when she mentioned the count keeping guard over her when she had been feeling ill. All night, it appeared.

Leo blinked at her. "Oh, Estella, I was not aware that you had suffered such a bad spell last night. I'm glad the Count was able to ensure you rested undisturbed." He felt warmth threatening to creep along the sides of his neck and cheeks. 'Keep a guard' might have been code for 'share a bed,' but it wasn't his place to judge. She had told their inquisitor that she was the Count's lover, after all. If anything, it added truth to their answers to the German man.

He did not think to question how she might know what a body looked like after it had been dead a while. For all he knew, she might have seen a dead person before. He took a careful sip of his tea as all about the table seemed to contemplate the timing of the woman's death.

"Good morning," said Jane Eyelesbarrow, coming to their table, and asking if the fourth seat was taken.

Leonard stood to pull the chair out for her. "Of course not, please, join us," he replied, completely unaware of Estella's discomfort. He heard the singer telling the heiress that it was a free country and turned with a startled chuckle. "It is not, I'm afraid. This is not America." Had their little encounter in the baggage cart not sealed that truth as fixedly in her mind as it did his? No…freedom was not a thing that existed in Germany, at least not for some.

Turning back to Jane once she had been seated, he said, "I'm sorry I ran out on you this morning. I don't know what got into me. I heard that horrid scream and…I suppose I thought someone needed help." He reached for his cigarette tin and opened it, holding it across the table for Ms. Deveraux to select a fag. "It was very rude of me and I do apologize."

Reinhard Müller
First Class Sleeping Car outside the murder scene
@MsBloom

"Guten Tag Herr Walsh." Reinhard responded with a humorless smile as he entered the compartment without being invited. One guard stayed out side and the other followed as the door closed upon them. He emerged a quarter hour later, and gave the signals to allow the train to leave Stuttgart. He checked to ensure no one else was in the common hallway of the first class car then opened the door so that the two guards could take a cuffed and gagged Charles Walsh towards the back of the train.

@MsBloom @Shiva the Cat @Vinaein @Traveler

Rather than a quick and efficient disembarking and embarking five minute affair, it took another 30 minutes before the train would depart the station. Those leaving were escorted to the back of awaiting police vans though they were not restrained in any way. "Just some routine questioning." Was how it was described to them.

There was an odd bit of jostling of the train, as if another car were being attached though it was impossible to tell for sure without exiting the train, which would have created suspicion. But at the first bend, those so inclined would see a dark and much less elegant train car added to the end of the otherwise stylish Orient Express. The red white and black Nazi symbol shown prominently on each side. Attached to the train like a leach, sucking any carefree joy that might normally be associated with such luxurious travel, at least for those not fully embracing the glory of National Socialism or similar ideologies.

Mr. Leopold Bordeaux
First Class Sleeping Car outside the murder scene​

@xavierrol

"My good friend," the blond man said, his blue eyes suddenly gleaming with a rather pleasant light as he tapped his coat pocket. He knew he was on a delicate set of footing with the Nazi and had little interest in antagonizing him fully...but sloppy work did bother him. "I have no doubt your German friends bring only the best to bare, but from what I have seen, you have a number of rather young fellas who, unless I miss my guess, were more interested in drinks, card games and shall we say, some disreputable company." His smile was confident, hands up delicately. "It ain't about 'jurisdiction,' Mein Freund." With his thick accent, he mangled the German beyond most recognition. "It's simply about doin' what's best for all aboard....but I thank ya for the direction." He adjusted his coat, setting off to find Jeudith...while he ran over a number of clues in his mind.

Not that he trusted Nazis. No, sir. Madam Bordeaux had not raised a fool.

Count Aleksander.
Lounge Car
@Shiva the Cat @Vinaein @xavierrol @MsBloom

There they all were. Every strange individual he had met in recent history, save the mysterious Charles Walsh, whose connections here he could only guess at. But Aleks saw Stella, Leo...and then there was Jane Eyelsbarrow. Well...Walsh had been in Jane's presence as he recalled from sight, which made this so much more intriguing. A proper little rabbit hole that never seemed to get any less dense and deep...

"I see," he remarked to Leo as he tapped his fingers down upon the table, murmuring to himself...he glanced briefly at estella with just a small smile at her own mentions...he remembered sticking by her and all that had transpired...did Mr. Benjamin look there as well, with some point of interest?" He fought back the urge to lift an eyebrow himself at it...he wondered just how Estella had gotten so close to Leo as well...

Estella's discomfort at Jane's presence was offset by LEo's careless invitation, but he waved a hand, briefly reaching down so he might 'accidentally' brush a finger to Stella's hand. A sign of comfort. "Not America indeed..." He was not smoking as the cart jumped and jerked, Aleksander sighing out.

"Miss Eyelsbarrow...you have a way of showing up...what does everyone have planned for the day, I would ask?"

Estella's expression was unamused as she stared at Leo, but she took one of his cigarettes nonethless. Trusting someone else to light it for her (Jane owed her that at least), she spent a few moments blissfully pouting until the conversation had shifted to the two Brits.

So Leo had been with Jane before he'd appeared in the corridor. He'd neglected to mention that little detail. Granted, there hadn't been much time to discuss it, between getting caught in the baggage car and their escape to the lounge. Or had he purposely concealed their connection for some reason?

Don't overthink it. In fact, if Jane really was a government agent as she suspected, that meant she was possibly the only person on the train who could keep Leo safe. Assuming of course the Germans didn't arrest her for spying but...Estella's eyes lingered on Jane's hands, and she couldn't help but smile just a little. God help anyone who got in that woman's way. The wildcat could take care of herself.

At least she was still sure Aleks was on her side. Moving just a little bit closer to him, she tapped the cigarette on the ashtray in the middle of the table. "I don't think we ought to make any solid plans until we're in Austria, Your Excellency," she murmured, before taking another drag. "Notice how long we've been sitting here? We should have been on our way at least ten minutes ago. What do you suppose they're doing?"

Her eyes shifted from Aleks, to Leo, and finally to Jane. "Did they at least take care of, you know..." she leaned forward and dropped her voice to a whisper. "The body?"

Last edited:
@Shiva the Cat @Vinaein @Traveler

Jane smiled at Leo as he stood an in a very gentlemanly fashion pulled the chair out for her to be seated and then carefully pushed it in again as she did.
"Nor is it England, though with the current state of the crown it might soon be a similar political situation," she said with a tone of obvious disdain to her voice and glanced at Estella, remembering the moments they had shared some hours before but also her reservations regarding Brits.
Her discomfort at Jane's intrusion was quite apparent and considering what Estella was carrying, and the circumstances under which she had been tricked and coerced into her current situation, it made more sense than it had before. In the light of that conclusion Jane figured that if she could get the singer to understand that she shared no sympathies with the crowns political leanings she might gain her trust, and this was something she might need if she was to make heads or tails of what was going on between the dead courier, Estella and whomever might now be impersonating the courier in an attempt to corrupt Walsh's mission.

As she sat down she noticed a young woman with rather large spectacles reading a book at the table behind or rather she seemed to pretend to read as her eyes were drawn from the book to the four of them ever so often. It was quite possible she was listening in on the conversation rather than being engulfed in a rather thumbed looking edition of Friedrich Nietzsche's Also Sprach Zarathustra, another very fitting book to be reading in Germany. She gave the woman a quick but examining look, committing her appearance to memory.
"Think nothing of it Leo," Jane replied to his apology for rushing off the way he had at breakfast, careful to avoid using his family name.
Noticing Estella taking a cigarette from the case offered to her by Leo, Jane produced her lighter and held it towards Estella offering to light it.
"It is quite understandable and, I must admit, quite justified, all things considered," she explained to Leo.
She then turned to Aleks and nodded with a smile.
"I've been told that before," she said and raised a finger at the passing waitress to signal that she would like to order.
"Do you have Darjeeling Tea," she asked and when it was confirmed they did she ordered a cup.
"Twist of lemon, no sugar," she added before turning back to Aleks again.
"Sometimes welcomed, sometimes not. It all depends on why I show up."
She smiled rather ambiguously.

"I am fairly certain that is one of the reasons we are delayed," Jane said and turned to look at Estella.
"Another of course is that jostle we just felt, and the fact that they are checking everyone disembarking more carefully than they usually do."

The train had slowed to a stop, and as a few people departed, Leo noticed that no one got on. Not yet. He could hear people giving orders outside the train but their words were indiscernible to him, and about five minutes later he felt the train jolt and shudder as if it had been struck. None of the stewards or the conductor seemed alarmed at it, so Leo merely smiled thinly at his companions.

It seemed they all were of a certain mindset. Freedom here was tenuous, at best. If they got through this country there was others to traverse: Austria, Hungary, Yugoslavia and Turkey. And then, God willing, a boat or other mode of transportation back to the States. At this pace he did not care if he arrived with only a name and an address. At least he would have his life.

Leo tilted his head to regard the heiress when Aleks mentioned her way of showing up, then asked what everyone's plans were. He did not think it strange at all that she kept showing up. They were on a train; where would one go and not see the same faces repeatedly?

The train jostled again but did not move. He looked out the window, wondering if they were adding cars for passengers. From here he could not see much, only the lines of passengers waiting to embark and the soldiers patrolling the platform. He sipped the last dregs of tea from his cup and set it down, noting the swirl of leaves at the bottom. If only he were versed in tassography he could read his future…

He shook his head at Estelle's question about the body. He had not seen signs of them retrieving it, though it was reasonable to assume that they would. When the waiter came to take Jane's tea Leo asked for another Earl Grey with sugar and milk, and a plate of scones for the table to share. It was between breakfast and lunch and not near teatime, but the anxiety of the situation made him want to have something to do. Nibbling on pastries was as good as anything, he supposed.

He glanced at Estella and then back to Aleks. In truth they made a lovely couple even if it was temporary. His eyes trailed to Jane. She had refused Mr. Walsh's offer earlier, but seemed they were on friendly terms. Ah…if only life could be as simple as dime store novels where the damsel found her man in situations such as these.

As he turned to see if their waiter was coming, he took a moment to scan the room. It was a mix of faces before him; people with lives more varied than wildflowers filled the small carriage, all waiting for the train to finish its business here and disembark. With any luck, there would be no more questions from the Germans.

Count Aleksander
Lounge Car
@Traveler @Shiva the Cat @MsBloom

Aleksnder felt Estella move closer to him and his hand reached out to cover her own, his smile frozen on his face as he recalled how he had caught her and Jane previously. Well, that had been for the sake of country and mission, right? Or was Estella telling the truth? What Jane had said refused to leave him and the Count was refusing to discard any possibilities...perhaps Charles Walsh was a key to it as well? Or the murdered woman? It was a hell of a thing when you couldn't be sure about something...

He heard the conversations of the others and shrugged. "Perhaps...engine trouble?" That sounded thin even to him for the moment, he decided. "More likely, it has to do with everything here...there has been a murder aboard the train and Germans are abuzz with it. That indicates to me that...they are taking this seriously. Which could delay our journey more than we might have hoped." He scowled slightly, holding Estella all the closer for comfort.

"I would brace yourselves to be questioned. The Germans are likely to inspect any and everyone as bearing potential guilt...I would do nothing to rouse them...for instance, Madam Eyelesbarrow, if you have any secrets that might clash with the National Socialists' views of the world, it would be wise to find a better time to share them than during any interviews....Mr. Benjamin?" He grinned at the man. "I hope this is not proving too difficult a trip for one of such an esteemed law firm," he said as he pat Estella's hand.

"...I'm sure a brief delay and the poor woman's friends and family should be notified later...for us? Best we involve ourselves as little as necessary."

Which he knew Estella might understand as 'we might get to the bottom of it.'

Back
Top Bottom