Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How do you find motivation to write a request thread?

HasturTheKing

Planetoid
It's a simple question really. I know that I need to write a request thread but every time I go to start one, I just can't finish it. I'm self-conscious about it and I also don't have much hope that anyone would be interested in it in the first place.

I set a deadline for yourself. Maybe deadline for each section, for example 45 minutes (for example about me, kinks, scenarios I like, etc). Then at the end of deadline – clean up grammar and publish. I can always add, remove, or edit later.

Request thread doesn't need to be amazing, it just needs to convey basics.

That said, I'm currently in same boat as you – I decided to write very ambitious request thread (future request thread in my signature). But haven't have time to finish it. Main lesson I learned – don't plan to add a lot of imagery, it will easily eat 4-5 hours of your time, do imagery later!

No need to be self conscious.~ ;D

My advice is to either be direct or broad, but start simple. List off fantasies/plots that interest you; you can do that with a sentence or two. You can add details later, or not. Or you can kinda do what I do, stick to more requested themes and pairings compared to plots unless a craving comes up.

Brainstorm what you really want to write and communicate it. Don't try to overthink it too much. You can always go back and spice up your thread. I keep on tweaking mine. A shell of a request thread is better than nothing. It can grow with time.

If it turns out not many people are interest, guess what? You avoided RPs that you wouldn't want.

Those who do reply should ideally fall in line for what you are actually seeking. You don't need to get a bunch of requests to have a "good" thread. You have a good thread if you attract even a few partners who really get what you are looking for.

I think my thread scares away a lot people, but I also think: Good, I'm not for the faint of heart anyway.

So, try to not overthink it, and starting out simple and clear is a good way to go!

I had to learn this over a long period of time but I’m still learning too. I haven’t figured out an effective strategy for updating or changing the name of my thread to concisely label my current cravings.

I used to lump everything together in my intro post but no more, smaller digestible bits seems better and makes me feel like I’m making the best product. Start out with an introduction and some ground rules and then multiple subsequent posts full of ideas and inspiration in itemized format based on themes (fandoms, for instance). It feels really personal and customized and is fantastic for referencing when I need images or past ideas I’ve forgotten about.

I also tweak the last post and delete it then replace it with the updated one so I don’t create an endless amount of bump posts and keep everything on one page.

Putting in all that effort is satisfying and gives the impression I take things seriously so I feel confident it will attract those who have a similar attitude. I look for that in others’ threads as well. I’ve even had people tell me it impressed them and inspired them to clean up theirs or reformat or add to them.

My biggest piece of advice is;

If you do not get any or enough interest, do not feel rejected. Nor dejected. It is not a rejection of you, people just either lack the time or interest now. Try again at a later date, tweak it if you feel it isn't good enough. And they will find the time and interest in that later date. :) . The motivation will come naturally when you do away with the fears and negatives.

I've found that there is no "right" or "wrong" way to have an RT. Sure, certain builds will entice more people, and a good rule of thumb is to describe exactly what it is you're looking for, but none of this is absolutely necessary. Interestingly enough, on my own RT, I got far more interest when all I had were basic pairings, not the in-depth plots I have written out now. I didn't even have an F-list until fairly recently! To this day, I get more attention on pairings rather than my established plots. Not that I mind at all- I've just noticed more people want something open-ended rather than something I've largely already built in my mind that they might not feel that they can wedge themselves into.

Another thing? Sometimes an RT isn't even necessary. A couple of my longest, most enduring, and, dare I say "favorite" RPs are from people who have no RT at all. It's a gamble, I understand, for some people to take up a plot with someone who doesn't have one, but it's something I've never once regretted.

I've found that there is no "right" or "wrong" way to have an RT. Sure, certain builds will entice more people, and a good rule of thumb is to describe exactly what it is you're looking for, but none of this is absolutely necessary. Interestingly enough, on my own RT, I got far more interest when all I had were basic pairings, not the in-depth plots I have written out now. I didn't even have an F-list until fairly recently! To this day, I get more attention on pairings rather than my established plots. Not that I mind at all- I've just noticed more people want something open-ended rather than something I've largely already built in my mind that they might not feel that they can wedge themselves into.

Another thing? Sometimes an RT isn't even necessary. A couple of my longest, most enduring, and, dare I say "favorite" RPs are from people who have no RT at all. It's a gamble, I understand, for some people to take up a plot with someone who doesn't have one, but it's something I've never once regretted.

This is why I am extremely grateful to the partners that have stuck with me over the years; It is not a critique of simple pairings, just that when you develop a back and forth with someone it becomes easier to have more fleshed out ideas. You present it to them and see what they think, if its not what they like often enough they will present you ideas or tweaks to make it more up their alley. In essence they will compromise. Because they like you and know you would do the same for their craving. But I digress, this is about group play after all and not solo. However what I said does apply in the way of; contacting people you know and think may be interested in getting together.

Back
Top Bottom