Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Spider's Shadow (AparinaAkumu x LukeDeadwood)

Katachi listened to the spider-ish man before him. He couldn't pretend he didn't catch on. Working with the police and being a bounty hunter? He must have someone inside who can fiddle a bit.

At the last part, Katachi nearly spat.

"Perfect," he mused with audible irritation. "That's why I got into this mess. But really I had to weigh my options..." his form stepped over to the doors and after a second he reached his hand over and around. With a grunt to hide the pain as he slipped his hand between the doors.

However, as a show of good faith for the spider and to save himself more issues tomorrow, he pulled back and brought his hand into the two dimensional shape he was. Luckily it hid how he was cradling the now possibly useless appendage. Until he'd be back to normal and could nurture it.

"These powers have limits as long as I keep my mind," he explained. To one that could sound like admitting a weakness. To those more keen the stress in his voice was apparent. He had almost or close to lost his mind in the past. How else would he know where his limits are?

"I'm not so bold to assume I'll have a chance tonight," he admitted as his form slipped down from the wall to the ground. Within moments the human was revealed except his hair black, eyes dark and wearing a black shirt and slacks. Pocket watch neatly hidden in the shirt pocket as he finished buttoning the collar. His shoes were even black and they were all vaguely different shades. Illusions, the shadow magic keeping him covered since he gave up all his physical clothing when he became that fluid form. Surely, they were collected by now and he wouldn't risk another close call tonight with a wounded hand. At least as he inspected it he learned he could move it. But visibly his hand was very stiff.

"As a bounty hunter you get to hand over whomever to authorities. Sometimes I fear the money is better in my profession. The boy will be in surgery up to seven hours for the damage I did, and from then he might not wake or stabilize for another six. So we have some time..." he didn't need to pull out the watch to know that much. So his eyes that currently held a nice brown shade landed on the similar night enjoying creature and he sighed before running his good hand through his hair.

"I could use a coffee, and a sandwich. How about you?" he offered. "There's supposed to be an always open chain location not far from here. I saw it on my last map. Just after Limson Street on the main center one way."

There were many things Es'kit could've predicted from the shadowy figure. From a quick escape to a quick attack attempt, to perhaps even a risky -- and highly stupid, and not expected from the assassin in this moment -- attempt to get back into the hospital. The thing he didn't predict was Katachi revealing himself and asking about a midnight snack. Both the thought and the action itself were ridiculous to the point it brought a grin to his face, a bout of laughter bubbling up from his chest.

"Well, that's a first!" His right hand comes up to scratch at his head while his left rests on his hip, his grin persisting as he practically giggles. "Usually I'm the one that offers up the idea for a date. And that's after I catch my targets!" A joke that was serious at the same time. On many occasions he's offered the better looking ones dinner after effectively wrecking their night. 'Among wrecking other things-'

Shutting down that train of thought as quickly as it had started Es'kit leans back a bit, taking in the sight of Katachi before him. The first thing he noticed was the hair color. After that night where he had followed behind the assassin, he had witnessed those special abilities of his, hiding those distinct little features and hiding them behind an illusion of sorts. He wasn't really surprised that Katachi was pulling that trick again. He would too, if he were in the guy's shoes. Given the circumstances it was the wiser option. Not to mention the work of the sketch artist back at the police station. It'd be bad taste to walk around looking like the big target the law was after.

"But y'know what, I could go for something to eat. And coffee always works wonders." Truthfully, he hadn't eaten much today. While it was true he didn't quite eat the same way humans did, having a couple different needs than just meat and vegetables, he still needed some kind of sustenance. And if he couldn't really get what he needed, simple food and caffeine could at least hold him off for a little while. Besides, it wasn't as if he didn't have a meal waiting for him back home, waiting for him to just ravage them again.

He'd just need to remember to get some extra coffee for Reid. Otherwise, the detective would truly be insulted that he was not only volunteered for unplanned babysitting, but also not given something in return. Es'kit wasn't that crude anyway.

The laughter from the arachnid did bring Katachi his own smile. It was a rather casual offer, but he wouldn't call it a date. In fact the way that the man laughed was almost contagious.

"Not sure you're my type, but coffee amongst professionals can't hurt right?" He offered again. Keeping this strictly business was how he had made it so far. He had been eyed before, had a few rendezvous, even had his own affections. However he never pursued any interests due to his career. Though he did get to make close connections with some powerful people a time or two.

As he led the dark haired man down the street he cradled his hand lightly. Using the other one to feel for broken bones or strained tendons. Thankfully it was just very sore and felt like it had been slammed into a door. Which it sort of had.

"So, Es'kit was it? Luckily I'm not bountied yet I suppose, though I imagine if they make that call you'll be the first to snag it," he spoke so casually. It helped not to be naive about things. Speaking in candid manner came easily for him normally. Very rarely did he have to beat around the bush and when he did it was usually for personal gain, protection, or enjoyment.

"Perhaps I should invite you to a hotel, offer a night of romance and try to win good graces," he joked with his own soft snicker. However he stopped laughing within a moment and glanced to the arachnid beside him. He wasn't as confident as he seemed. He knew he could escape a grip or a cage, but if what he saw earlier was actually a type of webbing he wouldn't know if he could escape it. Plus he didn't even know if it had been summoned or collected. Could he have almost been caught by it already?

Once they made it to the place he would open the door for the man out of habit. Despite being good at killing he was overall pretty well mannered and in another life would have made a decent businessman.

There were many people who would balk at the idea of having anything to do with someone they knew was a killer. With many reasons as to why those people would hesitate, it only made sense. Es'kit however was not those people. One might say he was a little too comfortable with the idea. With his hands casually locked behind his head he followed Katachi without any reservations. It would be easy to mistake them for two friends going out for a late-night drink or something if a random bystander cared enough to spot them.

He listened to the male speak and found himself amused all over again, chuckling lowly at the mention of a hotel. He was well aware of the few side glances that were made his way. He could see them in the corner of his vision. As well as the way Katachi seemed to be favoring one of his hands. For the time being he feigned an aura of obliviousness. There were no ulterior motives to be wary of from what he could tell, and he had no motives himself. He would play nice. For the most part.

"Well, too be fair, I'm sure there's been a few offers put out on the market with your name in them." Es'kit loosely shrugs, speaking honestly. "Maybe there's been a bounty flyer that's floated around once or twice. I just never really paid attention to 'em. Not to say I don't enjoy the challenges of chasing a supernatural hunter around, it's just more beneficial for me to go after the..."easier" targets. The more I can get back to back, the better."

The potential jargon might not make sense to those who weren't clued in to what Es'kit was and what he did in his free time. Which those people consisted of Reid and the unlucky people Es'kit caught. Though it was entertaining wondering what different theories people could come up with.

He takes a moment to respond to Katachi's joke about the good graces, being polite when the male opens the door for him. "Well thank you! Such a gentleman." Es'kit snickers, but as he passes he leans in slightly, a smirk playing at his lips as he whispers. "If you've heard the rumors about those I've captured, you'd hear that time spent with me isn't so pleasant after all." With a hum and a smile that looks the opposite of the eerie statement he'd just spoken he steps inside the establishment, patiently waiting for Katachi to follow.

Katachi nodded at that and hummed softly. He also tended to pick less elaborate targets back to back. "Makes sense in a steady line of work, however I find it nicer to take a week or two between jobs. Though I've been lucky enough to land more high values lately," he admitted. If he didn't spend on nicer stays like his hotel room, he'd have plenty of spending money. However as it was he had to funnel payments through three accounts. Still, he was by no means broke.

"I actually considered offering to pay your prize last time. However the financial is having a system issue. They are having the whole electronic payments and wires system updated to repair it and I've known it would happen but I didn't plan for extra expenses," he explained calmly. Even as the spider teased him before his comment. He had in fact not heard any rumors. He also hadn't bothered to research the bounty hunter. Hadn't thought they'd cross paths too often.

He wouldn't remark though, not at first. Instead walking to the counter behind the man and paying after they ordered prior to finding a table. He would order a very sweet, sugary drink with mocha and caramel. Paired with two donuts covered in chocolate frosting. His sweet tooth showing but the man not thinking anything of it.

"I'll admit, I hadn't researched your work. Red gave me a different priority to focus on. Also I hadn't thought we'd bump into each other too often," he admitted as they sat. It couldn't hurt to be honest with him about that much. Though he did think a moment before discussing further.

"I'm sure they have a file on me. I wonder how far back it goes...I quite dislike my real name," he partially pouted. Though his face showed the remorse he did feel. His family and the trouble he'd caused. He sighed a bit and checked his watch for the time but also to see if it had anything to show him. When it didn't, he put it away.

"Impressive response time, by the way," he complimented as his currently darkened eyes look to the man across from him. In the light of the building the spider could probably still see the red eyes under the illusion.

"They make these little tubes of oral anesthetics. They work very short term but half decent on skin. One would probably fit in your satchel," he offered. Both showing he had stayed to watch the show earlier...and that he'd been close enough to hear them talk.

Es'kit listened attentively as the other spoke his piece, humming in acknowledgement. He said nothing on the matter just yet though a noticeable smirk returned. He could recall that night that Katachi had mentioned something that he couldn't hand over cash back then. Was the assassin still on that? Cute.

He made sure to wait before responding to any of the conversation as he ordered. White hot chocolate with mint and a dash of whipped cream, and sausage and cheese on a soft-baked croissant with no eggs. He detested eggs. Couldn't eat them scrambled, sunny side up or in any fashion. He didn't care to explain why, and therefore had no reason to come up with a story that humans would find believable.

Before stepping away from the counter he made sure to order a hot coffee with blueberry flavor shots added to it to go. As it wasn't for him, he made sure to pay for it himself.

"You know, I distinctly remember telling you I'm more interest in their bodies, and less so on the bounty prices listed on them." As he speaks he takes his seat, turning the chair around backwards so he can rest his arms on the back of it. "Though I suppose I should say I appreciate the consideration. It is true some people have to make monetary concerns their first priority." Es'kit wasn't one of those people. And should he ever find himself in such a situation, or should he come to an early demise, well...having a father of demonic making was quite useful.

"I'm sure they do have a collection in the making." There wasn't any point in pretending all that took up badge at the station were incompetent. A good handful of them were rather quick on their feet, clever and good at what they do. "But it wasn't something I dig through. The past may be essential to building us as we are, but I feel no need to dwell on it. Not too much, anyway. I have better things to put my sights on."

He takes notice of Katachi's expression and his action with the watch. He didn't understand the significance of the first one, but grew curious of the object in the assassin's possession. Es'kit rarely fiddled with demonic items, but the blood running through his veins he could faintly feel a a sort of...presence emanating from the seemingly harmless and inanimate piece of fashion ensemble. 'Oh...' For a moment he wondered the possibilities, but ultimately decided to put a pin in it and feign ignorance.

With an indifferent shrug he meets Katachi's gaze, only just noticing the shift in color to his eyes but choosing to not comment. "Oh I'm sure I could carry something along those line around. But it would mostly result in being a waste. Our current...predicament is the only exception I've made to working solo," He looks down at his hands, examining his nails and lightly picking out the faint traces of dirt and remaining flakes of dried blood. "I don't exactly require the same type of mending as others do when they get injured. I have simpler methods." He rests his hands back down and offers a shit-eating smirk. "Besides, as fun as challenge could be, I prefer the freedom of 'letting myself loose' and being more myself. The fear from my targets never gets old."

Katachi merely nodded. He similarly didn't need regular healing anymore so it made sense. He also recalled the comment the bounty hunter had made, but hadn't really dwelled on it. Still he didn't quite want to. Even though he easily killed and mutilated targets he didn't really enjoy doing it. He had no true pleasure or joy from his profession like Es'kit could find--whatever it might be. The albino didn't want to know.

"Yes I'd imagine having your powers and being so easy to show them off would be difficult with a partner...especially ones who didn't understand," he voiced as he sipped his coffee. He had gotten a bag to bring his other donut with him. One would easily be a full meal for the man under the influence of the artifact. He did give the spider another look. Had these been relatively normal circumstances he might have found the man somewhat attractive. He was handsome, nice features, a relatively firm but humorous attitude, and showed at least some compassion to others. Despite the spidery bits.

"I'd hate to issue a challenge but I'm actually going to be caught on a schedule. See my institution should have been up and running yesterday however are scheduled to be online again for such transfers on Monday. Until then I have a few more local jobs coming up that'll tide me over and be much smaller prey. Easier to manage..." he did keep eye contact a moment before offering, "One of them has a bounty on his head. Jimmy Vucero, his wife's family is actually connected to the Russian shopfront bar on Second. He goes there every Friday night to play pool while he waits for his wife to come out of business discussions with her father. Her and her brother then split drinks in the far corner booth by the back entrance until around seven when she and Jimmy finally head home. It's not well secured until you pass the bar." He gave the spider a knowing smile. It would leave Red unattended but it would be a durable, and moderately decent looking, body for the spider. Good for multiple purposes from an objective standpoint.

"I'm set up to arrive there at four:fifteen this afternoon," He knew it was already the next day due to checking his watch earlier, "if you'd have more use for him, well...it's a few thousand cash reward, he's young and healthy, and honestly I dislike crowded areas myself. Things like tonight are rather upsetting to me," he explained. This was much more earnest of an opportunity. Trying to make even with the spider in front of him. Keeping things strictly business. "I'll still go, I plan on sitting at the bar and chatting to the nice gentleman who makes these lovely cherry and sprite drinks for me. If anything happens to my targets well," he shrugged, "I just don't get paid."

Curiously Es'kit tilted his head. A challenge? He liked challenges. Obviously enough, of course. If he didn't, he wouldn't be having this conversation and Red surely would've perished this night during the bait attempt. He hums softly as he finally reaches for his little sandwich, nodding as he listens to the information that's provided. On one hand, yes, there's a part of him that's not entirely trusting of the plan, but on the other, he wanted to take part.

Besides, if he really needed, Es'kit knew he could station Reid in the hospital room for safe keeping. The detective was already going to be bound to be hovering around the young man as it was anyway. No harm no foul in this case, and the bounty hunter would be sure to use his chances while he had them. It wasn't like he himself had anything better to do anyway. And it wasn't as if he didn't have plenty of space to keep more than one captive hidden away in his home. Space was something he had an abundance of, and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

"Sounds like I have to be there at this point," Es'kit muses with a smirk, taking a generous swig from his beverage. God, he loved mint. "I mean, if I'm going to have my own schedule cleared for a brief period, my as well find some more sources of entertainment, hm?" Raising his cup in the form of a mock cheers he snickers. Of course, he had yet to actually judge this Jimmy's appearance. But he was sure if the guy's looks weren't the best he's still fucked worse with the variety of faces he's hunted down. Beggars can't always be choosers. Even if he did always pick his bounties. But that wasn't the point he was making right now. Young and healthy were good enough.

"You said four:fifteen, right?" The question is unnecessary but he still asks for the sake of it, glancing at Katachi. Clarification of time and location even though he'd already etched itself into his mind. He had plenty of time to get more "personal" business done and be home for more than enough hours before having to head out. "If it means anything, you're more than welcome to get your target after I'm done. I'll only need him for two weeks at best." Es'kit makes it sound so casual, as if he were merely borrowing a book or a game from the male across from him. "I still have the man I snagged the other night to finish up with first before I can move on. But it makes it easier when I already have the next one lined up."

A conversation that sounds horrendous, both inside and out of context. Es'kit loosely wondered what Katachi was thinking it all sounded like. The he promptly decided that he didn't care. Yet, as it were.

Katachi hummed softly as Es'kit considered. Though he'd get quieter as the creature before him mentioned needing them for only a couple weeks. Perhaps he should look into this bounty hunter's M.O. to see what insights he could gather. Though any proper research might mean some sacrificing of his physical or mental health to the amulet...and quite possibly the creature before him.

"Show of good faith. I'm in this profession solely due to the difficulties of escaping it. I'm very discriminent on who I actually work with," he explained with a sigh. "Unfortuneately this particular client wants three specific people involved. Two of them I'll be getting over the weekend but personally I don't see a reason for him," Katachi didn't want to risk showing weakness to the hunter. However instead his tone might reveal his boredom. His tiredness. To any regular person being an assassin sounded tiring enough, but to anyone understanding the artifact the human carried and had been using for over a decade? It would show the real weakness of the situation. If the human doesn't give up their humanity the device continues to eat at them. It's never a guarantee what happens after the human let's go. Whether the device remains to collect on its master's work or if it ends for the current one and waits for a new master to find it. Katachi, especially, wasn't much of a gambling man. Not without a good idea of his odds.

"I'll be there, but I have to be believable that I missed an opportunity. Otherwise I wouldn't show at all," he expressed. Though he was almost done with his own coffee by now.

Back
Top Bottom