Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Spider's Shadow (AparinaAkumu x LukeDeadwood)

Es’kit didn’t bother trying to swallow the bubbling laughter when the mention of bounty hunters and TV shows was made. Him? With a crew and a bunch of cameras following him around? Might as well just have people following him around with pitchforks and torches for the same effect. Reid might just actually shoot him with a real bullet if he went and did something that stupid.

“Yeah, no, not even close, kid. This isn’t some Dog the Bounty Hunter episode or some animated shit. Believe me when I say cameras aren’t my style. Too many things that wouldn’t be allowed on air, y’know.” Like his spider-kin form, for starters. Having criminals throw out the claims was more than just different from live footage. He’d be incredibly screwed if something like that got leaked.

Taking Red’s question as initiative to fully break the ice Es’kit sits up. Reaching up he removes his cap with his left and lightly scratches the back of his head with his right, briefly running his fingers through his hair. “What, you really think I do what they want me to? As if. I wanted to come and talk to you myself,” he flips his hat over, eyes glossing over it as he feigns an expression of casual indifference. “I mean, can’t say there’s been much riveting conversation on your part. But I mean…”

As he pauses his gaze flicks up at Red, a small smirk twitching at his lips as he follows his gaze over to the window, watching whatever officers meandered around. “If you really want to leave yourself in the hands of those guys and a sniper that might not even make it later tonight, then fine by me. I mean, what’s a bounty hunter got against some supernatural killer? The guy only murdered my bounty right in front of me. No big deal, right?”

Es’kit didn’t believe there was any point in sugarcoating the reason for his being here. Not to the future target that he had tasked himself with guarding. Not that he was going to fully divulge anything major of course. Just make the kid aware he wasn’t actually going to go anywhere.

Red remained rather unresponsive through the conversation, even as Es'kit mentioned the gingers lack of response. Though the mention of watching his work got the redhead to go wide eyed. That information earned the kid's full attention.

"You saw him?" Was all the boy asked as he stated. He took his own hat off and sat it on the table, wetting his lips before he spoke in a softer tone. "I watched the guy once. My boss had a rat. Now I'm just a low pawn in everything and I kept my trap shut. But when that guy came into the picture I started trying to get out." He looked towards the door before admitting, "I swear, that guy isn't human. No one would believe me but...he got pushed off a ledge. Twenty stories high. We go to leave and he's just fine brushing off his jacket and throwing it at my boss. Wanted a cleaning. No one could survive that."

Red sat back a little and fiddled with his shirt hem. He was really shaken up by the assassin. Despite how friendly he tried to be on the phone. "I had a theory, yknow. What if he doesn't have a bunch of animals, he becomes them? Like whatever the guy fears most. Something demonic," he confessed. But at this point he knew how crazy he sounded and couldn't bring himself to look at the man sitting with him.

Deciding to forgo the formalities Es’kit initially had with the detectives. He mirrors the way Red had previously glanced out of the windows, calmly gazing at the officers as they worked. He just didn’t see the point in lying to the guy. Or rather, didn’t mind letting some half-truths slip out. “Well, of course he’s not human. Anyone with proper knowledge of things that go on in the shadows would be able to tell you that one.”

As he speaks his gaze lands on Reid as the man’s figure passes by, most likely going on another coffee run. Silently weighing his options he waits for a moment to pass before looking back at Red, not bothered by the fact he couldn’t seem to look at him. “I mean, if the majority of these officers witnessed what I had, they’d shit themselves. Obviously that guy is the animal in all of the attacks. They just wouldn’t be able to wrap their mundane minds around it if they saw it with their own eyes.”

Es’kit could only assume the kid — as well as the the officers except for Reid — would flip his shit if he knew why he was so calm talking about the guy that was pushed from “twenty stories high”. So he keeps the following explanation sweet and simple “Let’s just say I’ve been around the block a few times. Being a bounty hunter that gets into places the police can’t is surprisingly educational. So “something demonic” sounds about right. In my opinion at least.”

Red seemed incredibly relieved at the dark haired man seeming to believe him. Then to add on he had seen something, that Snowy was definitely the animals, it felt like a huge weight off the kid's shoulders. "Right? Someone calls about their house being haunted and they're the laughing stock of the city. It'd be impossible to talk to them about this guy..." but then he sobered up a little and looked at his hands in his lap. How they were shaking. He knew why.

"I don't um...stand a chance. If this guy wants me dead," he stated with his voice seeming to know already. Though the gaze he gave Es'kit, a resigned understanding of death usually reserved for someone seeing their doom already upon them, betrayed the false hope in his words as he bothered to ask, "Do I?" It was a joke, really. Red knew it. If this guy was what he thought, aside from being just an already prominently sucessful assassin, then Red was easy pickings.

The somber question had Es’kit looking the kid over. He’d be lying if he said he didn’t empathize with him. Being on the weak end of the power scale. He remembered all too well when he was young, smaller than the others of his brood. The amount of attempts that had been made to either kill him and eat him that would’ve succeeded if it hadn’t been for his incubator intervening. His “parents” had argued quite often about that. For obvious reasons, he wasn’t a fan of thinking about those memories.

“I won’t lie to you kid, it doesn’t look good for you.” The statement is solid, and it takes all but a second for Es’kit to reflect back on that faint trip down memory lane and he sighs. He wasn’t that heartless, no matter what he claimed. Scratching the back of his head he leans back in his seat, settling for eventually crossing his arms. “But really, that’s what I’m here for. At the very least, I can keep you alive.” He wasn’t going to swear that he could keep Red from getting hurt. Not without entirely blowing his cover.

Red nodded, but clearly didn't feel too relieved. He supposed at least someone would notice his demise. After all, it was one of his biggest fears to be missing or dead and no one noticed. Hence why he was so easy to get to join a group.

"Just make sure to get the bastard if he gets me? I wanna get on even playing grounds in hell," he chuckled. He often was morbid so the humor was in character for him. Though his nerves still shown through. The kid wasn't as tough as he tried to act, anyone would see right through him. Yet anyone who read his file would also see he had been through a bit.

The morbid vibes surrounding the barely-a-young-man were nothing out of the norm for Es’kit. He himself was often infamous for his cynicism and morbidity that even Reid, who was a glass half empty type, got tired of it. But as the situation was currently, he just wasn’t in the mood to keep spreading it around. Much, anyway.

“You’re not gonna die kid, not on my watch. Maimed a little, yeah, most likely. But I’ve got a few tricks up my sleeve thank you very much.” If there were rules about smoking indoors, Es’kit just how little he cared about them as he reached into his pocket, pulling out a cigarette and lighter. “I know more than ninety-nine percent of these guys combined. And that’s a fact.”

Lighting up without a second thought he leans back in his chair, head tilted up so he wasn’t blowing smoke into Red’s face. “Don’t need to be a demon to know how to trap one. Think smart, not hard, as I like to put it.” He was rambling at this point. Mostly to himself, but all the same. Although he knew it was a little more than just a plain demon at play. He simply couldn’t throw all of his cards out on the table at once just yet. “It might just take a few tries.”

Red nodded a bit. Maimed? He could probably handle that; his medical file was filled with broken bones and a few different knife related injuries. Of course he couldn't really imagine how bad it could be.

While it was crazy to talk about and even mention trapping a demon it did help the young man calm down. Es'kit taking him seriously was one thing, but showing how calm and confident he was about the matter helped in it's own strange way. Like this guy's done it before. Of course in the little relief he was getting he didn't think to question why the darker haired man had so much knowledge.

After a little while one of the officers did come in to remind Es'kit he shouldn't smoke in the office. But he turned on a fan and cracked the window before locking it again. It wasn't a holding room, or interrogation room. It would be easy to flee. However since Red technically wasn't under arrest and also was being watched from outside the door they felt okay letting the bounty hunter keep the kid calm. If he had to smoke then at least for the moment the chief didn't mind too much.

Around dinner time the younger detective from before, Adams, came in with a few take out menus. While he was usually busting chops he also was a bit of a family man himself--he had a brother around Charles' age and you could tell he did care about this case. If Es'kit overheard or asked he'd find out that Adams' family life hadn't been the best and he was working on getting his brother to stay with him and his girlfriend. Just to take care of him.

"I can also grab one of the cots if you want to get some shut eye," he offered once Red had picked something to eat. He wasn't really all that hungry with his nerves but the kid hated to turn away a free meal. Especially some chicken parm.

Es’kit was a little surprised at how quickly the day seemed to just slide on by with the idle chit-chat he shared with the kid. Sometimes the little things really did make for an excellent break after working the way he had been just these past few weeks. Nice and relaxed, a great way to return home. Especially since he can only imagine the mess his “guest” made in their room in their undoubtable attempts to escapes.

His attention on Red faded though the moment Adams entered the room. Not necessarily because he wasn’t interested in what they were discussing about dinner(though he truthfully wasn’t), it rather the fact that Reid had poked his head through the doorway and waved for him. He assumed Reid and a few others wanted to catch him up to speed on their plans.

“You might as well take up that offer, kid,” Es’kit only glances at Red and gives a slight nod towards Adams before he’s already heading for the door, throwing a half-hearted wave over his shoulder. “Cause it’s either that, or they’re going to end up offering you coffee, and half these guys barely know what good coffee with is all that powder on their doughnuts. Later.”

With the final jab, mostly for the attempt of leaving Red in slightly higher spirits, Es’kit takes his leave and lets the door close behind him. He couldn’t wait to hear what half-cocked plan these officers had in mind when only one of them had an actual idea of what they could be facing. The bounty hunter was already imagining all the different ways shit would hit the fan when the meeting turned south. It was inevitable, given the assassin in question.

Red nodded at Es'kit and after a hesitation he did discuss food with Adams. The man even sat beside the young redhead and they looked over a few places to order from. Though Red couldn't help feeling like this was his last meal.

The chief and DA were sitting with a ten man squad of officers and the sniper they had requested was on the phone still en route. While the presentation was started a few minutes prior, Es'kit wouldn't have missed much.

"The location was picked by the suspect so we need to set up a safe perimeter prior to the agreed time. This guy has used multiple radios and probably scans frequencies to find the ones he uses. So team one, you'll be radio silent and station up in these three buildings, with two of you staying in the car on the main road. We've already contacted the corner building and local traffic authorities, you'll be unmarked just past the no parking sign." The chief then went to discuss the white box truck they'd be working out of instead of the normal marked cargo and where it would be stationed just around the diagonal corner to cover the cross roads.

"Of course ground crew isn't ideal for a spot like this, its likely our suspect knew that. But we will have Gene on standby directly across the intersection." The voice on the speaker phone, Gene, chipped in, "yeah on the way there now. I have to meet with the building manager and inform him of the safety risks and to announce about an hour beforehand that the front two entry's are going to be blocked." The chief then explained he would be on the ground in that building with two of the next precincts men to keep the residents inside. It was the only residential building on that block, luckily.

"Any questions?" He asked, the DA also looking everyone over.

Es’kit had to give it to the man; the DA certainly seemed confident about the whole ordeal and the planning. At the very least he seemed to think that this plan was going to work. But confidence was typically the key, wasn’t? Or some kind of sappy shit like that.

Contrary to the usual for him Es’kit remained silent, glancing down at his nails. Judging from the expression on Reid’s face the man might just actually turn and slap him if he tried to make any sort of snarky comment. And as much fun as Es’kit could have with that, he had bigger fish to fry. While there was nothing too wrong from the human perspective, the bounty Hunter was going to have to make his own special placement near where Red was going to be.

Not to say he didn’t doubt Gene’s abilities. But he knew all too well that humans couldn’t hit what they couldn’t see. Or rather, humans hardly knew what they were truly pitting themselves against. And that alone cemented the idea in Es’kit’s head that this plan was going to go south, and if he really wanted to snatch that sneaky shadow, he needed to be prepared to keep the kid in the other room alive.

Out of courtesy he keeps his voice low as he glances over at Reid. “I think I’ll take this cue to start heading out…meet you there.” He chooses not to elaborate and the detective doesn’t pry. For the better, naturally. Lightly patting Reid’s shoulder Es’kit turns on his heel, quietly excusing himself — on the off chance other details were added or changed, he trusted his “partner” would fill him in on it.

Only briefly does he think about speaking to Red one last time before departing. He decides against it. That might make matters worse. Not to mention, he really shouldn’t waste time anyway. Finding a good place to hide that also wouldn’t lead to him blowing his cover of being “human” was generally trickier than one might think. After all, he couldn’t ensure Red’s protection and all that if he was sitting in a car on the side of the road, far from where the kid was going to be. It just wasn’t his style either.

“What a fun night this will be…” it comes out as a grumble. But there was no denying the grin plastered on his face.

It would seem both incredibly slow and fast as the next hours passed by. Red would stay pretty solemn, but manage a smile as the few officers who did check in doted on him. Though he really began to worry as time to head out got closer.

The first sign that this was a professional was that there was no sign of the man when they arrived to set up. They had a casually dressed pair walk the corner about an hour prior and the one detective stopped to tie his shoe to get a look around. Gene later confirmed via radio that he hadn't seen anyone matching the man's description since setting up on the roof.

Once everyone was in place they waited another half hour or so to use up the remaining time. Of course they had gotten there early enough to, hopefully, not be seen setting up.

Unfortuneately, being humans, they didn't look for the unknown. Merely a block away Katachi had gotten his wake up call at eleven. In the kindest voice he thanked the lady who called and asked her if she recommended any deli or coffee shops. She broke the news to him that the one she liked was closed for the day, and the one nearby seemed to be closed on her way in.

He faked disappointment and empathy but the woman would add it had been strange. Most everything was closed when she came in today. The police must have been the ones to get the boy, and it made sense why Red was so scared. Katachi sighed genuinely, but hid the meaning with a thankyou and called room service. The perks of the fancy hotel.

Realizing the cops were the ones there made this worse. That meant they likely had sketches, a perimeter, and definitely eyes on for someone approaching. He'd hate for so many eyes to see his true power, but he needed to risk the chance at that boy. Ideally he could have taken him away to his own custody, but with his relocation he couldn't safely hold a prisoner.

With a sigh he resigned himself. Play dumb, reveal what he was, but not to attack the boy until he was certain he couldn't escape otherwise. He hated to leave an area as a dog but he could manage it in dire situations.

Once room service delivered his meal he thanked them. The door closed and he ate most of it before setting the tray in the hallway. He latched the door to keep it closed and had set the do not disturb sign out. Then he turned on the TV and plugged in a small device that had an override. It would play soft sounds of a man working on a computer, occasionally a casual work call would play. He had recorded this ages ago but it still seemed to work. Then he just needed to figure out how to approach.

For what was initially assumed to be a swift job, led into a more complex set-up than what Es'kit was originally used to. He ran solo for many reasons so setting up traps and triggers was never a complicated job for him. No matter the placement or surroundings, nor how many targets he had his eyes on, he never truly had to be concerned with the trifles of potential neutrals getting involved. Which is where the -- albeit more of an inconvenience, in the long run -- problem arose in such a structurally condensed area with a team of undercover policeman virtually surrounding the area.

He had to be careful. No exceptions. No reckless feats that humans were incapable to doing. No showboating his frightening appearances. No grandeur machinations of the environments and his special abilities. It had to simple, meticulous, and complex all at once. Cramming so many calculations and predictions on the potential entry points Katatchi could use in such a short time, while also accounting for the crosshairs of the aforementioned feds. An excruciating amount of thought and work that required an equal amount of patience. So many strands of webbing that all led back to the lone, far removed space that was good enough to serve as a place for him to hide away in. Though the webs were virtually invisible to the unsuspecting eyes, he made sure to bolster them as well as his general presence with one of the illusion spells he'd been taught when he was younger.

With the way he nerves were alight, the bounty hunter had decided tapping into that bit of magic he knew was the best course of action. A back-up of sorts. Despite viewing the situation as little more than a game, he knew he still couldn't risk the exposure. Working through the childlike eagerness that coursed through his veins like adrenaline was an added challenge, spurred on by the final sinking realization mere hours ago that this wasn't his usual hunt. It was still doable of course, as much as it made him feel more like a caged mutt than a seasoned hunter.

'Maybe a book wouldn't have been a bad idea...' The afterthought drifts into his thoughts before being immediately swept away, his left hand twitching as he subconsciously shifted the webbing strands tied to his fingers. Checking they were still sturdy despite having already checked a second, third and fourth time before.

He'd already seen the faux couple make their way through and each minute since then he kept careful tabs on. It was getting close to the rendezvous time and Es'kit was well aware of how carefully he had to play his cards. 'It's almost time...' He mentally repeated, slowly beginning to feel more like a pulled mouse trap getting ready to snap.

Unfortunately there was one big flaw in the plans of both the police and Es'kit. What type of power was at play with Katachi wasn't fully known by either. While he clearly had shifting abilities, it was truly a shadow artifact at work.

Katachi could feel the moment he got to the window that his artifact wanted him to be extra careful. Long ago he would have argued with the trinket, however he's come to learn. The demonic power it provided was all too easily to keep him alive so the device could keep enjoying living energy to feed on. It's why he had switched to such a self focused job. His own boss, his own hours, and plenty of ways to make and save his own energy for this thing to live on. He wasn't dumb, he knew he needed it after all these years too.

Before he opened the window he let the shadow cover him. He looked two dimensional in the light, and he easily made his way out of the escape with a much smaller opening that could be left alone for now.

Using this form he'd be able to literally walk right in--most of the time. This time was like a high profile case. He needed to find who was watching where before he could enter--and he only had about twenty minutes. He hadn't brought a weapon, a bag, anything. This was going to be a very hands on approach. Katachi's least favorite.

The nearly invisible figure in the dark easily found the ground coverage. The vans, their line of sight and cameras, and where the night vision blur would fade into the street light the redhead was sitting under. Katachi had picked this corner specifically for that street light. It created a perfect scenario, a blind spot of the night vision cameras just outside the clear ring. Combined with a blind spot for humans just outside the light ring as the street light didn't reach all the way around the corner. It lit up the quiet intersection, setting the idea for a drive by. Which was perfect since it made them sit Red against the building by the blind corner. Night vision would be able to see anyone there, if someone was there.

A two dimensional panel, however, could slink along side the building easily.

"Anything?" Red asked quietly into the wire. He had a small ear piece tucked under his popped collar. He knew it meant nothing, really, but the detective had been trying to assure him.

"Negative, no sign of movement," came back after a moment. Though there had been, the slightest bit, but it didn't look like anything. It definitely wasn't human.

"They promised you'd be safe, right?" Katachi sighed. The boy went to jump but felt a hand on his shoulder. When he looked it was already gone, and only a keen eye would have seen the shadow reach around flat against the wall as it did.

"I'm giving you one chance. Come with me and I won't hurt you," he told the boy bluntly. "I get paid to kill, and the man who wanted you gone is missing. So I have no reason to kill you. But seeing as you ran to authorities so easily you understand my concern," he paused and gave Red a moment. The boy sat up straight and looked up a bit--to the building where Gene would be sitting if he remembered right. Then he turned his head and looked at the corner.

"I got a wire, Snowy. I can't trust you," he told him. Immediately the lines went live, demanding for everyone to check eyes on and Gene even radioing that he saw the boy move but couldn't see who he was talking to. Within moments the police were starting out of the van and Katachi sighed.

"You were a good kid," he said before everyone would get to see a shadowy mass jump from around the corner. It was a dog, a big one, and it went straight for red's throat and shoulder. Once the boy's cries stopped, and the first officer managed a couple shots on the animal, the dog would bound down to the dark. The night vision cameras, however, wouldn't see the dog leave the lighted area. It was that fast for the artifact to shift Katachi's form back to that two dimensional shadow. What none of the cops would know was the attacker stayed close by. Across the street, in the darkness, he was already setting up to sit on a windowsill with this form. Three stories up, about central building, to get a view and make sure he got the job done.

Meanwhile it was a blur around Red. Adams had been in the van, been the one to shoot the dog, and was now realizing something was incredibly wrong. Where he shot the dog the three shots should have hit it in the shoulder. Instead, two bullet marks were on the concrete above Red's head and the third, which should have hit the dog in the side, was in Red's shoulder. Immediately he had the hoodie and tee shirt cut open and was sat over the boy as he looked him over.

"He's got a pulse! I need help here!" he yelled, the usually quiet detective known for being well mannered was loud enough to command a boat crew. No one in unit, not even the captain, had heard him sound so mad. Already he had the boy's shirt wadded up against his neck to slow the bleeding and was holding a hand to his face. "Stay with me Charles, c'mon keep breathing..." he leaned down to listen for air. Somehow, the boy was breathing even if it was shaky. Adam pulled back and looked to find the redhead opened his eyes and was looking directly at him.

"Damn it, guys he's awake! Someone get over here!!" he barked.

Es'kit didn't have to see the commotion to know what had happened. The cries and the gunshots were more than enough to work as an obvious telltale sign that shit had hit the fan and it hit hard. He just wished that he hadn't witnessed it. Of course, he was smart enough to realize his own mistakes right away. He had already accepted that the chances of catching the elusive shadow-weaver of sorts were strikingly low. The odds hadn't dampened his excited spirit though.

In hindsight, perhaps he should've summoned more of his own demonic abilities instead of relying more on his hunting instincts. His spider eyes wouldn't catch those tricky little movements in the dark. Wouldn't catch the way light and shadow bent to the whims of the controller. Wouldn't catch the hidden figure running off in the dark of night without any physical trace. The bounty hunter might've taken his little rule of 'being careful' just a little too far. He might as well have knocked out the bus' brakes and let it roll over him for the same effect.

Gritting his teeth he balls up his hand, recalling the webbing and letting it gather in a wad in his palm so that he could use it for later. In an instant he's leaping out of his hiding spot, feeling like a cliché as he lands in a crouch without his extra legs take the impact and keep him upright. With his eyes scouring the surrounding buildings for every potential vantage point he could see -- from one hunter to another, he doubted Katachi truly fled the scene -- he's tempted to chase. He could keep up whereas the humans couldn't. Reach the higher ground well before the cops could ever hope. A chance to actually catch his target on the first attempt without having to wait for another one. Stand a much better chance than what plain bullets could. But his mind fell back to what he'd said earlier.

"At the very least, I can keep you alive."

"Goddammit..." Es'kit mutters begrudgingly. under his breath. It's not that he disliked Red. Rather, the guy had the charm of misfortune and scrambling to survive that he knew all about. But that didn't mean he liked opportunities slipping through the gaps of his fingers, either. 'This is why I hate working with groups...'

In a burst he sprints from the darkness around the corner, skillfully sliding to a stop next to Red and Adam as he shrugs off his jacket, tearing it without a second thought, using one piece to act as support for Red whilst the rest was used draped over his body, makeshift coverage for the injuries. While he had his jacket for personal reasons, he doubted that in the panic and the black of night anyone would spare a thought for the torn and open shirt that showed the ugly splotches on his back.

"Move." The lone word is barely uttered before Es'kit is crouching over the injured young man. He reaches for the bloodied shirt, sparing a single glance at the cop as he asks a single question: "Is the bullet still in there?" 'It probably is.' Es'kit has to bite his tongue to keep himself from sneering, pulling the shirt away regardless so that he could inspect the injury for himself. He does, at least, offer Red a brief "sorry, I don't carry anesthetics." He knew all to well the pain and shock that was being felt. Especially as he prodded at the entry wound. Because there wasn't enough going on with his body from the mauling.

He didn't have a "professional" medical degree by human terms, but he sure as fuck knew what he was doing better than the majority of the police force. He could have the bullet removed and the injury stitched up well enough for the doctors at the hospital to take care of from there. That was Es'kit assuming they didn't have an ambulance on standby and only just now called for one.

From siblings wanting to devour him at a young age, to demons poking at him and testing his hybrid abilities for fun, to hunting hardened and dangerous criminals and others beasts for a living had him well versed in medicine and self-care without the use of magic. On more than one occasion he found himself in need of a fix without wasting whatever magic he had left in his exhausted state. It was yet another reason why he preferred running solo. Uneducated partners were useless in both the "wild" and the wild. There were reasons why he trusted himself and himself alone. On top of the whole "I'm not human" schtick.

His aggravation was only heightened by the fact that the bullet was, in fact, still embedded in the kid's shoulder. There was no telling how fast it may or may not take Red's body to start rejecting the bullet, and worst case if Red didn't die from the blood loss and shock would be the wound starts abscessing. And that was just from the bullet alone. God only knew how infected everything else might get. Assuming the blood loss from those gashes didn't get to him either.

Clicking his tongue he grabs for the small bag clipped to the belt loop on the side on his pants, simultaneously using the webbing still in his hand to press it against the wound to. He didn't much in there save for the basics: his brass knuckles, a set of pliers and tweezers, a small pouch for needles, and an extra lighter. Strange things for him to have, some might think. But he'd be damned if anyone wanted to complain that none of it came in handy. Makeshift stitches and bullet removal always came in handy when it was needed.

Setting his free hand on Red's bicep he glances down at the male then over at Adam, unphased by the cop's angered behavior. "I can do this now while you keep him still, or we can risk the wait on the ambulance. It's up to you."

Last edited:
Adams didn't want to move as Es'kit ran up. But the bounty hunter had started to work fast, and Adams wasn't a medic. He switched to the other side and kept pressure on the boy's neck to keep the bleeding controlled at least. "It probably is," the words were like venom as he spat them. He felt immediate guilt for shooting the kid after he had been mauled but he was also certain he hadn't missed. The dog had reacted to all three bullets. Flinching, yelping, and pulling away at the last one. Whatever that thing was it had felt the bullets go through it.

"What's ETA?" he called out as Es'kit worked, and they confirmed the ambulance was three minutes. It had been circling but was caught up at one of the police blockades behind a civilian vehicle that was refusing to cooperate. Of course, and having one so close would have been a giveaway otherwise. Clearly, though, the entire operation had been seen if the man could get a dog past them!

"Do it, he isn't going anywhere," Adams said as he reached for the boy's hand. He gave it a squeeze, and looked at the face of the kid. Red's eyes were staying on him and he could feel how weak the grip was. At least the boy had experience in nonverbal communication like this...it made Adams' heart sink. He had read the kid's file. He knew he's been beaten bad but for the kid to be this calm and still responding meant he knew. He was conscious.

"We got you Charles," he told him, moving his arm up from the boy's hand to rest over his collarbones. Pressure off his heart and lungs but firm enough to keep the kid from jolting as he held pressure on the neck.

Meanwhile, Katachi watched and smiled to himself as he saw the spider land. So he was working with the police? At least this time. He barely noticed the material suddenly appearing in the hybrid's hands, and barely managed to see the strange legs return to the man's back. After all, the shadow caster wasn't a demon and was, for most every intent and purpose, human aside from his artifact. To see an actual creature was rare enough, but to see one that could so quickly change to a human form? Never before. It really put into perspective what he'd be dealing with, and he realized how easily he could have been captured by the creature had he stayed even a second longer. He needed to keep an eye on things, and be certain that the boy was dispatched before he could leave. Or, at the very least, find a way to keep an eye on this kid without getting himself caught. He thought back to his first few weeks with the trinket. He originally used it to spy on his father. Help prepare for how drunk he was. He tried to remember how he had managed that, but the way the trinket burned against him made him second guess that option. He'd have to follow himself and scout the hospital to find out more.

As the ambulance did arrive, and the medical team left the cabin, Katachi made his way down. By now there were more lights since the van and cruisers had arrived and moved around to light up the area and secure a smaller perimeter. It was tricky to navigate and he had to use a technique he knew would hurt him later. He allowed the trinket to work it's magic, and the shadowy figure condensed into a smaller shape. It was fluid, which allowed the shadow caster to slip between the organic shapes and eventually into the ambulance. Under the seat provided him with a view of both the driver and back passenger area with little chance of detection behind the supplies. He knew it'd be a risk if Es'kit tagged along, as he'd need to follow close behind to watch for the boy, but he also knew that in this form he'd be able to attach himself to the stretcher with little interference. That would allow him to be taken directly to where the boy was kept all the way through into his recovery room---if he made it there.

The confirmation was all Es'kit needed to start working. While he was positive it felt fifty shades of agonizing for Red, at least he could say with confidence that it didn't take long for him to locate and pull the bullet out of the kid's shoulder. Stoic and straight-face, looking all too much like he had done this many times. Which he had. Mostly just to himself. And he didn't have to offer any excuse as to why he wasn't queasy as he removed the metal, some fleshy bits and all.

He doesn't think as he flicks the bullet to the side and goes back to applying the spider webs to the wound. It's only now that he doesn't have an answer as to why he had the webbing if anyone were to ask. He chooses not to dwell on it; at least it was sterile coming from him and was a much better alternative to the germified bullet that had previously been seated in the kid's shoulder. He was very clean, thanks very much.

It was that very fact that kept him from attempting to start on the stitches he knew Red would need. Not to mention it would be a waste given the fact that the web-stitches would most likely be undone so that the injuries could be cleaned once the kid arrived at the hospital. Es'kit had already done part of the work for the EMT's. He wasn't about to make both his and their lives more difficult.

'Even if I am better at their job than them...' The thought is a pinch bitter but is washed away when the bus finally rolls up. He stands without and fuss and steps away, giving the medical experts -- he wouldn't use professional for them like he would himself -- the space they needed to work. He doesn't bother for trying to grab the tattered remains of his coat. While he could easily repair it, he could also just as easily make a new one. It was better to leave it with the kid. Even if it was more likely it would just get trashed by the end of the night. Not that it mattered anyway.

'There's a more important issue...' As he turns from Adam, Red and the medical team, he's quick to use the light of the street lamp shining down on them to his advantage. Wanting to see if he was right and Katachi did stay to watch, he musters his inner demonic magic to make his sense of sight better. The faint glow of his eyes would be considered a trick of the light if it was noticed by someone, as unnatural as they were nobody was going to put aside the situation at hand to deeply look into what Es'kit was doing. His search initially started high up; were there any eyes peering down at him and the police force from above? A quick check resulted with 'no' as the answer. A faint wisp of disappointment was felt and he went to seeking out Reid in the crowd of cops instead, and that was when he saw it. A little sliver of something moving amidst everyone's feet. If he had just been a few seconds faster and letting go of his magic, he would've completely missed it.

A grin forms before Es'kit can help it and he changes his course of direction. He doesn't look around nor turn his head as he shouts "Hey Reid!" He only looks back once he hops into the back of the ambulance, making his silent stake then and there that he was going to the hospital no matter what some authorities might have to say on the matter. Not like they'd understand even if he tried to explain why he suddenly seemed to be so caring. Raising one hand to his mouth to make his voice louder he calls out. "Do me a favor and keep an eye on my kids for me!" Without missing a beat he turns his back and ignores the protest "I'm not a fucking babysitter!". He knew that, in the end, the detective would do as he said. Reid knew better than to assume Es'kit had no motivations for the things he did.

He takes a seat, glancing around the cabin. He didn't get to see where the little shadow got to hide, but if the assassin was as smart as Es'kit believed, he wouldn't make a move. Yet, anyway. Leaning forwards he supports his elbows on his knees and rests his chin in the palm of his hands, taking his chance while it was still him and his little "friend".

"Look at you, thinking you're so sly..." He speaks lowly, his tone betraying his amusement despite the initial amount of irritation he's felt on and off so much in such a short span of time. "But I'll give credit where it's due. You almost got away from me you sneaky little shadow. Almost." Es'kit glances to the doors, of the ambulance, knowing they'd be loading up Red anytime soon now. "But the night is still young. So we'll see if that streak holds up." Not that Es'kit was genuinely expecting a miracle capture on his part. Not with the injured Red in tow and the EMT's at work. But it was fun to tease and let it be known that he was on the watch like a hawk going for it's dive. At least, he knew he was going to be an obstacle. One that was a large pain in the ass.

As Es'kit jumped into the ambulance Katachi cursed in his mind. He could hear the noise outside as the medical team spoke to the detective and worked on what happened. Dog bite means rabies shots, the bleeding was getting controlled but they began wrapping his head tight before they put a brace on to hold his head and neck in case of muscle damage.

When Es'kit spoke it brought the shadow from his focus. He was trying to gauge the odds of survival. Still, he was aware of the mention of kids with this bounty hunter as well. Trying to back track enough information about him though, without police help? Useless task. Not high priority like this was.

"Look at you working for dogs," the voice would be soft and yet sound like it was coming from right behind the bounty hunter. Really the way he was without physical form meant the sound he did create needed to be projected and bounce off a surface to be heard. So both sides of the ambulance would sound that way but it wouldn't carry outside the ambulance.

"I did get away. But I can't have this kid around if he won't work with me," the voice would return again but still Katachi remained completely still in his strange form. He even had the form solidify to the shape it was in for a moment. Anything to prevent movement. He didn't know just how good this man's senses were.

"Besides, at least I can use my powers. I saw your rough landing back there," he offered with an honest chuckle. "What would you want with me anyway, if you managed to catch me?"

However around that time, one of the two person medical team jumped into the ambulance and started to pull the stretched up. Red was strapped in and once the stretcher was secure the other medic went to the front to close the doors while Adams hopped in behind the second. An officer closed up the back and the EMT in the back set an IV drip and started shaking a little box. Apparently it was a blood typing kit so the hospital could be called ahead.

"Usually we don't even like to allow one person," the medic started as the other closed up and started to drive. Adams cut him off though, with, "Usually it's not a goddamn child." The medical professional would give the man a look but simply focus on keeping an eye on the patient. Meanwhile, Adams still had blood on his hands and up his arms despite clearly having tried to wipe it off.

"Why did you tag along?" he asked the bounty hunter, barely glancing to the smaller man.

Es'kit wanted to laugh. He honestly, truly did. Work for the dogs? Please. If only Katachi knew what he was really doing. He wasn't doing anything for the police force save delivering a used and traumatized body for cash. They were merely a means to an end, just like with all of the people he captured and had fun with. Maybe Katachi would regret asking his question if there'd been time to answer. Especially the fact that there was more to him than just his legs and his rough landing. Oh, if only anybody knew aside from the detective that was involved with more dirt than he liked to admit.

Taking a breath Es'kit works his smile away, settling back into the present at hand. He doesn't bother with responding to the medic. The guy wouldn't like what'd he'd have to say, anyway, and with Adams in the ambulance as well he was quick in deciding that was a fight he'd better not start. There wasn't much he could offer the officer or Red as it was. But he could offer them just a little bit of peace, as little was there was for that.

Besides, he couldn't cause a commotion that could allow the stealthy tagalong the opportunity that he wanted. He wasn't so stupid. Especially since using sound wasn't going to work out for him. He'd need to be fully alert.

Though being addressed wavered his attention ever so slightly. A brief glance at the cop and Es'kit drifted his gaze back to Red and the stretcher, calm and vigilant. "I have my reasons." He begins to answer, feeling the faint strings of pity for the man. Silently he shifts, grasping the lower portion of his shirt to tear a piece from it as well. "Here." He says as he holds it out, not really caring if the man accepted the offer or not. Given the fabric was already tattered to begin with, sparing a piece to be used as a makeshift rag didn't impact him much. What was another piece being lost? Much like his jacket, he could make another one.

"I have my reasons." He repeats casually, skillfully ignoring the itch that started up in his eyes from channeling his magic again so soon. It always spiked the baser instinct to reveal his extra set of eyes. He couldn't stress how much of a bad idea that would be, and by now he was a pro at ignoring that urge. "But I refuse to believe that you think he's safe now. And with all due respect, if someone gets the bright idea to attempt another attack, I'm not so sure you'd be able to handle it alone."

He felt so strangely noble as he said those words, and for a moment his skin crawled with the indecision on if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Sometimes, being a neutral party wasn't always so easy.

Katachi's form was...odd. He had grown accustomed to the strange feelings that came from the powers he was provided access to. However they weren't without cost. A form like this would physically burn, and over time it would grow to be unbearable. For now, it was a minor sensation that could be ignored for the purpose he needed it to serve. In this case, he was waiting on a moment to join onto the stretcher.

With two passengers and how bad off the boy was, though, the lights were on. The shadows weren't dark enough to disguise his form, and any attempt to move onto the device would be seen. He briefly started to move when Es'kit looked back at the stretcher. Unsure if he was seen or not, the fluid like shape immediately retreated under the seat of the driver. Luckily the medical attendant was sitting on a small bench against the passenger seat facing forward. This meant that Es'kit couldn't just approach to reach for him. Even if he did, now he remained in that fluid, nearly plasma form that would be the most difficult to catch.

Adams didn't take the scrap right away, but after a moment he gently tugged the rag free of the man's hand and began wiping at his arms again. His short brown hair would have been a proper mess if it wasn't cut so short.

"We heard him, on the wire. He was there, he sounded like he was so close. We even saw strange behavior on the camera and...we didn't see him. We didn't see anything until the dog was on him," Adams was irritated. The medic had stayed silent by now, mostly focused on getting a head start on his paperwork and radioing the results of the blood typing to the hospital for preparations.

The detective looked at Red with a few emotions swirling in his eyes. The boy had been given some morphine in the IV and was getting pain managed at the least, but it made him sick to his stomach not to see his eyes looking over at him anymore. But he couldn't be mad that the boy was getting a little piece.

"He's twenty-two," he spoke slowly as he looked at the paramedic. He rattled off date of birth, social, allergies, and full legal name. Then he stopped and looked at the boy again.

"Is there a note for preferred name? He...has a family history," the man nodded and Adam informed him the kid went by Red. Perhaps for the better, the humans were completely unaware of each time the shadowy mass had tried to line up a path onto the stretcher without getting too close to Es'kit. It was difficult, and after two attempts Katachi decided the risk wasn't worth taking.

Generally Es’kit wasn’t so soft or sappy. Not for the people he knew little about and had as much care to spare as the little knowledge he had. But he wasn’t so heartless as to say he enjoyed seeing Red on a sort of slab. And seeing Adams so upset had its own effect that he preferred not to get into. His business was his own and under no circumstance was it something he was willing to share. But he wouldn’t say that he couldn’t sympathize or pity. And the fact that Adams seemed to know everything about the kid was it's own special little kind of thing.

As he sat in silence he didn’t see any trace of the hidden shadow. Not even with his magic. Whether Katachi was waiting for some planned distraction to happen or had decided to not go for whatever slim chance he may have had, Es’kit wasn’t entirely too sure. But he had his limits with the silence and the heavy air.

“He’ll be fine,” he says, not sparing either the medic or Adams a glance. For only a second he lets his eyes close so he could cancel the magic he was using, giving them a needed break. Just long enough until they reached the hospital at least. Cut the chances of involuntary transformations and lessen the risk of a migraine he’d be forced to sit through for hours on end.

“We’re almost at the hospital. They’ll take care of him and if there’s an issue with any insurance or money I can foot the bill.” What was most definitely the most generosity he’s ever displayed in front of any of the policemen. “At least take solace in the fact that we were there. No telling what would’ve happened if it were anyone else on the force. Not to smear their names or anything.”

Although he would absolutely speak badly about a few of the members of the force. It was a wonder how some of them got their jobs. But this wasn’t the time or place for that subject so Es’kit left it alone, and fell silent once more, patiently waiting for the ambulance to come to its final stop so the medics could begin unloading Red. And so that he could go back to keeping an eye out for that mouthy little shadow.

Adams seemed genuinely surprised as Es'kit's generosity. He knew very little about the bounty hunter. Every so often he'd seen the dark haired man around visiting Reid but otherwise hadn't truly interacted with him as an individual. Just whatever passing interactions they had when Adams and Reid spoke. The medic would agree when he finished speaking. "If you hadn't gotten the bleeding slowed so fast it's likely he wouldn't have made it to us getting here," he admitted. Adams stayed quiet a moment and looked back at the boy.

When they arrived, a team was waiting to help rush the boy in. Adams jumped out first to help unload the stretcher and told Es'kit he'd handle the paperwork as he rushed with the stretcher to the emergency entrance. Here he was able to speak to the doctors and nurses as they got a chart going and immediately hooked the kid up for a transfusion. He was being rushed in to surgery to repair the damage to his neck and he was getting provided the anesthesia as they stopped the detective at the operation area doors. Here he had to fight every urge in his body to push past and stay with the younger man.

Meanwhile, in the ambulance, Katachi had tried once more to get onto the stretcher. The rapid movement of chasing the stretcher out was seen by the medical professional inside, but when the man properly looked he just blinked and looked away. A figment of his imagination, surely. So he just hopped down to give the original file over before he started doing a wipe down of the back of the ambulance.

Katachi, once out of the ambulance, easily made it to the doors. Just too late. They closed before he made it in, and so he shifted back to the two dimensional figure he had used before and banged on the door once before slipping to the wall and growling. At least in this form, without special powers, he couldn't be grabbed. He could barely even be seen in the dark of the building. Even knowing he was visible to the bounty hunter he felt fully safe in this form.

As opposed to everyone’s rushing, Es’kit’s movements were more leisurely. For the first moment he remained seated, a careful eye trained to the stretcher and watching for sudden little movements of the more unnatural kind. There wasn’t a chance he could’ve missed the way Katachi all but blasted his way out of the emergency vehicle. There wasn’t as much hurry to him as there probably should have been as he changed his seat, drifting from the bench he seated himself at the edge of the ambulance, watching from the vehicle as everyone rushed inside.

Everyone, save for the lone shadow that was just a little too slow. An excellent view the bounty hunter had of the door getting shut in Katachi’s face. It was almost comedic, like those old cartoons his kids watched back home when he needed them to be kept busy for a little while. He couldn’t help the grin that was forming on his face once again.

“Well, I guess that didn’t pan out like you you expected it to. Huh. Talk about bad luck,” Es’kit hums as he then takes a stand, finally exiting the ambulance. Feeling no danger he dips his fingers into his pocket, fishing for his cigarettes and his lighter. He doesn’t speak again until after he’s lit the stick, taking a deep breath and looking all too amused. More than what he was predicting Katachi would like given the failed attempt of killing Red. “Huh. You even kinda look like a cartoon when you’re looking like that.” A thought spoken out loud that might’ve tickled him more than it should have. Especially with the vicious growling the shadow was doing.

Chuckling he glanced around the immediate area, spying nobody else around other than the two of them. Maybe he could have a little bit of fun with this.

“Maybe it’s just me, but this seems a little unfair, don’t you think?” He doesn’t wait for a response before he rolls his shoulders, his extra legs slowly leaving their “hiding spots” on his back, carapace spreading overtop his skin as his extra abdomen and spinneret are revealed. His feet are lifted from the ground, the entirety of his body held up in the air by his extra appendages. But not as much as he usually liked. He needed an out for an easy transformation back if someone came along.

“There, that’s a little better. Wouldn’t you agree? He tilts his head slightly as he stares down at the shadow against the wall, not entirely caring if he was answered.

Briefly he wondered, if he could use his magic to heighten his eyesight, could he pluck Katachi from the wall? He’s never thought about grabbing shadows from the wall before. Never had the need to. It was an idea he could entertain at least. But maybe now wasn’t the best time. An animal that was cornered was always prone to lashing out. Es’kit knew better than to throw all of his cards on the table like that. Especially in a place that could draw a crowd in a matter of seconds if he wasn’t careful.

Katachi would have rolled his eyes if he still currently had them. No, at the moment his vision was actually very off. It was a grey scale of light and dark, with sensitivity to the light reflecting on surfaces. The only way he could even make out the shapes around him.

"I don't believe so," he replied back casually at the man. Again the voice sounded off. In this case, he was casting the sound to the side where the building wrapped around. Making him sound as though he was standing to the left of the man before him. Of course he ignored the cartoon comment, as he had the mocking noises about the door having been closed too early. If he dared risk the harm in doing so he could let the demonic watch shrink him down to as small as it was. The limits were the shape of the watch itself. Nothing smaller. He had tried before and getting that small was immediately incredibly painful. The watch hated when he made himself smaller but so did his human form. Until he gave up his humanity, it would hurt to use the more extreme forms the watch gave him.

It would take a moment after Es'kit spoke for Katachi to see what he meant. Though he wouldn't admit to the hunter, who was offically some sort of creature, that his sight was lacking. Who knows what kind of magic it can use. However he was admittedly the most formidable potential foe he'd come across.

"That explains the material you had in your hand...webbing?" he asked curiously. He still felt safe, and in no danger of being permanently caught in this form. He had never come into contact with someone, or something, who could remove him. Hurt him? Yes. Pin him? Yes. But ultimately get the two dimensional figure, for all intents and purposes to humans a mere illusion of the lack of light, off a surface. He'd toyed around with a couple victims as well about it.

"You're the one being more daring. At least I can be chalked up to the human mind as an illusion, or a trick of the light. You'd not be as convincing," he offered.

It was good to know that Katachi was as quick to put two and two together as he was to change his forms and bound off into the dark of night. Not that Es'kit really doubted him. But it was easy to assume. Anything could become anything these days with little to no effort, with brainpower being on the "little to no" spectrum. As long as one knew how to act like they knew what they were doing, things seemed to still end up accomplished one way or another.

"Maybe," with a shrug he grins, reaching his arms up to place his hands behind his head. He seemed all too casual for someone who the visual/physical disadvantage in terms of being caught. And maybe he was being just a tad extra risky. But he also knew he himself was capable of. "But I've got my own ways of taking care of witnesses. Without the need for death. I've got my methods."

He was fully aware of how ominous the statement was sounding. It was what he was going for. Vague with a little pinch of flaunting his capabilities without revealing all of the cards in his deck. Not human but nor was he some mere wild beast either. He was well aware about how being both clever and discreet came hand in hand. A 'must have' for him to be able to grasp life by it's horns the way he does.

"Ah, but should something happen, I do have backup when I need it. Though I'm sure they don't appreciate my antics. But it's not like I asked them either." Es'kit could imagine the way Reid would scowl, the way he'd roll his eyes and bitch left and right until he was physically incapable of complaining anymore. The whole time resisting the urge to murder the bounty himself of course. It simply wouldn't be Reid if he didn't threaten to replace his rubber bullets with real ones and shoot Es'kit at least one time as the minimum.

"But I'll concede: I don't have a use for my extra 'parts' at this moment in time." Slowly he lowers himself back down, the soles of his boots meeting the pavement as his legs and abdomen retract with no trace, leaving nothing but seemingly bruised/scarred flesh in their place. "Just don't act like you're so perfect. How did those doors feel getting shut in your face again? If I'd known that's all it took, I wouldn't have put in as much effort keeping an eye on that kid. Guess demonic powers don't always come in clutch, huh?"

At this point he was just picking because he could. There was no animosity or hatred or anything of the sort. Es'kit was just an asshole and he knew it.

Back
Top Bottom