Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

ℳ𝒾𝓉𝒾𝑔𝒶𝓉𝑒𝒹 𝒮𝑜𝓊𝓁𝓈 ~ 【ʙʟᴏᴏʙʟᴀɴᴋᴇᴛ & ᴋɪᴛᴛᴇɴ】

"I did not." He confirmed, shaking his head. The relationship he had with his mother was a sensitive topic for him, but not because she happened to be a despicable person : rather, the way she tried her best to read people to ensure they wouldn't cause any harm to her or Aodh left many feeling uncomfortable to say the least. Aside from that annoying habit of hers, he did still think of the woman as one of the greatest Magi to exist, at least on this side of the continent - some of the things he'd seen her pull off as a child, he still couldn't quite replicate despite his own extensive training.

"Lively is a severe understatement, let's just say my mother has a certain kind of outlook on life, and it's shaped my own to an extent, down to choosing this career path. It's thanks to her that I took up my current seat." It was in fact an understatement, considering the sheer amount of recognition he got for simply walking out and about on the Academy's grounds thanks to his own accomplishments, but Apulia's endorsement of her adoptive son didn't go unnoticed.

"I'm sure we'll have a chance to meet her once she docks at a nearby port. The first things she usually does are finding the nearest Tavern with pretty waitresses, and visiting me while still under the effect." His mother's obsession with what she called 'fine lasses' didn't slip by unnoticed. Still, he had grown used to seeing her surrounded by droves of fair young maidens over the years, and had learned to accept it as part of his daily life when aboard the Panama, sailing the high seas in search of magical artifacts.

"Oh, you're full of enthusiasm." Was his subdued reply, a smile crossing his lips as he watched the woman prance off to prepare herself for the journey to Elessea. While he didn't mind there being more to the task, he still couldn't help but wonder if Zara was ready for the final test. Going from a totally lackluster Maga to someone proficient enough to exhaust most of the material he had prepared in such a short amount of time was a promising start to her tutoring, but putting it in practice wasn't as easy as just reciting a spell and waving one's hands.

"I didn't get to say much, though." His words echoed in the empty kitchen, before he stood up, sighed in resignation and motioned to start cleaning up what was left of breakfast on the table.

His own preparations didn't take as hasty of a process as Zara's. The man opened up his closet, and sorted through his clothes with a mere sway of his index, matching the various pieces as he saw fit. He clicked his tongue at the mess he'd left in it...he should have been far more thorough with his cleaning once they got back from the trip. It could wait, though, as he finally found what he had been looking for in the form of a formal get-up. An elegant purple tinge, too.

Once that hassle had been taken care of, he threw his usual beige cloak on, and joined Zara back in the kitchen. Her outfit earned a pleased smile from Aodh, though it was followed by a slightly sheepish smile. He'd have liked to tell Zara more than just a trite platitude, such as wanting to gift her a brand new flower to adorn her hair with for every day they spent together like this. Instead, it came across as much more Aodh-y.

"I really do appreciate all that you're doing for me, even if it wasn't necessary! Honestly, I consider myself blessed to have such a thoughtful Apprentice at my side. However, Zara, we should be on our way, the train station isn't too far off from the manor."

He turned away, but someone as attentive as Zara couldn't help but notice the slight fidgeting of his brow as he did. Clearly, she'd picked the perfect outfit for her first mission, and he seemed to enjoy it just as much as the prospect of securing a rare artifact.

"Indeed! I rarely get to head outside and enjoy some sunlight, so little moments like these are always welcome. Hm, maybe I should keep it in mind for your training. We could treat these outings as dat- er... Non-Magical Relations Studies? Not that there'd ever be a test of any sort, mind you." He'd caught himself just in time : somehow, his mother's words had made him nervous, and that only kept showing more as they walked along the platform and boarded the train. With a powerful chime and a puff of ethereal smoke, the locomotive began propelling them towards their destination : Elessea, the City Of Shrines.

The interiors were tastefully decorated, even if they hadn't picked particularly lush seats, and the car was mostly deserted save for a few last-minute passengers. It was the perfect setting for the two to talk in peace, without having to stick to the bothersome roles that their 'pact' imposed upon them.

"Don't laugh at me, but : I rarely travel by train. I know it's very popular nowadays and cheap too, but it's awfully inconvenient to wake up in time, get dressed and walk all the way to the station when one can simply close their eyes, snap their fingers and...be wherever they want to be." Not meaning to make it sound like a boast, the Magus cleared his throat, ears folding and voice shaking slightly as he replied in kind.

"Of course, but I'd like our next trip to be for our own purposes, not Council busywork. I'm sure that as long as you keep up your efforts, and I do my best as your teacher, then we'll be freed from this burden. Zara, I..." Aodh leaned in closer and took her hands in his. He was warm, the kind of warmth that washed away their respective uneasiness and allowed the two's feelings to emerge in the tender way the pair of Catfolk had all but gotten used to experiencing by now.

"I'd like to live through those adventures together."

"We can treat these outings as dat-er... Non-Magical Relations Studies?"​

Zara's lips twitched at the corners, betraying a subtle frown before settling into a facade of nonchalance. Why was he downplaying their undeniable attraction? They had already shared intimate moments, their legs entwined in satin sheets, his mark with her being a reminder of their connection. His attempt to act as if nothing had happened left her heart throbbing with a strange ache. But she refused to let his words ruin her mood. With a click of her heels against the train's metallic flooring, she scanned the interior, appreciating the aesthetics as a distraction from the turmoil in her chest.

Taking her seat across from Aodh, Zara casually lifted her right leg to cross over her left, the semi-black-see-through tights snugly embracing her legs. Her eyes remained fixed on him as he spoke, observing the subtle movement of his elongated ears as they smoothed backwards, indicating a hidden burden despite his seemingly unrelated ramblings. "That sounds like you, but I understand the temptation to indulge in a little extra sleep," she remarked, acknowledging the allure of teleportation and empathizing with his choice to use it over traditional transportation. "Teleportation must be exhausting, though. But I imagine you've had plenty of practice to handle it better than most," she added, attempting to maintain the conversation, only to find his attention wandering to a different topic entirely.

Her hands were enveloped in warmth as she glanced down, noticing his longer fingers gently covering hers. Though his words may have seemed somewhat insensitive about the depth of their relationship, his body language conveyed a different message. With that simple touch, the ache in her heart dissipated, replaced by a sense of comfort. Her gaze locked onto his ruby irises, her hues slightly trembling, urging her to delve deeper, to uncover the truth hidden within his soul.

"I'd like to live through those adventures together."

Ba-dump
Ba-dump

Ba-dump

A sudden warmth tingled at her cheeks as she felt a rush of emotion, her heart skipping a beat as his lips parted to utter those words. "I... I'm not sure I grasp what you mean by being freed from this weight," she responded, tilting her head ever so slightly as her fingers gently tightened around the back of his hand, their palms fitting together seamlessly. "I've noticed you stumbling over your words all morning, especially when it comes to 'us'. So, what are we, exactly?" Her grip on his hand tightened, as if trying to coax the answer from him with sheer force.

"I'm not certain if our perspectives align with how we perceive each other." She nervously nibbled on her lower lip, regaining her composure as her gaze faltered, unable to maintain eye contact with him. Turning her head to peer out the window, she kept her grip on his hands. "So, tell me," she murmured, daring to breach the boundary Aodh was so adamant about maintaining. "Why do you downplay our connection? Why avoid the term 'date' and instead opt for..." She withdrew her hands from his, gesturing with raised palms while curling her index and middle fingers to indicate air quotes, "Non-Magical Relations Studies?"

Her lower lip quivered, as if suppressing tears that hadn't surfaced. "Is it because I haven't met your mother yet? Is that why you're treading carefully? Do I need her approval first?" Zara hesitated, aware that discussing his mother was sensitive territory, but they couldn't ignore the elephant in the room any longer. "All I want is clarity, so I don't set myself up for disappointment." Outside, the scenery blurred as the train gained speed, whisking past. Perhaps she was overthinking it, but there was an undeniable weight to his silence, a truth waiting to be acknowledged. Maybe she was thinking too deeply on this, maybe it wasn't as big of a deal as she was making it, but there was something on his mind and that was a fact.

"Please, just tell me what's on your mind, okay?"

"No, it's not that..." Aodh tried his best in averting the Catfolk's gaze. Whenever she hit him with a concerned look, he couldn't help but feel guilty, hiding things away from Zara as if even someone he held dear couldn't understand the logic behind the action. Why did he continue indulging in complicating their situation with every passing comment? It made no sense for a man as smart and articulated as he'd proven to be to simply shut down at the mere mention of romance, yet here they were, unable to agree on the fact that they'd become an official item as of that week.

"The thing is, I'd rather not have you meet her right now. My mother is a complicated woman, and she'd likely end up making you think that the reason you're my pupil is not limited to what I saw in you. But, rather how you look." He bit down on his lip, a few agonizing seconds passing. Zara could nearly see the cogs in the wonderfully complicated engine of his mind whirr and work overtime to overcome the bout of anxiety her words had struck within him.

"Zara, the level of proficiency you displayed in your Magical Studies has outgrown what I can currently teach you. You'll have to pass onto the next level and advance to a higher rank of knowledge. And this, as I had mentioned back home..." He held up the envelope that up until now had been tucked in one of his travel clothes' many pockets, folding it out in front of her.

"Is the ticket to that. The reason I was jumpy and hesitant to return your enthusiasm was due to this letter's contents - unfortunately, I may not tell you about them until we reach our destination. It's part of an Oath every Grandmaster has to pledge when taking on a student : failure to do so is severely punished, sometimes with career-ending measures."

He placed the latter out of her reach, and leaned over to inspect their light luggage. She could tell that was only a reason for him to push back the first signs of tears forming in his eyes, judging from the way he quickly dabbed them away with a small purple handkerchief, then handed it over to her too.

"I'm sorry that my actions lead you to worry over the strength of our bond. There's nothing in this world that would keep me from laying my heart bare to you - I feel blessed to have my one and only also be someone that I can share all the boring formulae years of studying tomes has imparted upon me : and from this point onwards, I'll try being as transparent as possible."

He let out a soft chuckle.

"Not to mention, traveling with someone is always a wonderful feeling. Once our business is taken care of, I think we could visit the rest of the city...I've heard there are more than a few hot springs around the area, and our arrival may very well coincide with the local Harvest Moon Ritual. It's a fascinating sight, one I'd like you to witness at least once! Plus, we'll be able to celebrate!"

She really had been worrying for the wrong reasons. His hand gripped hers tighter, and that enough proved to be enough of a calming sight to avert the young woman's inquisitive amber hues from the corner of the envelope peeking out of his coat. Aodh was her teacher, after all, so she likely wouldn't have been in enough danger for him to obsess over each and every little detail to the task she'd need to complete this time around.

It took less than half a day for the Tozeur Line to reach its' conclusion, the train beginning to slow down as the suspended rail bridge that snaked around the peaks of Elessea morphed into a gentle slope past the station's gate. Aodh snapped the small book in his hands shut, and locking his arm in with the other Catfolk, slid the cabin door open, not before swiping the final pastry from their teatime away from the porcelain tray.

He was nervous.

Nervous that this trial would have proved to be far too much, even for her skills.

However, Zara had surprised him up until this point - and the confident stride in her step, as well as the warm smile she showed him, quelled the violent tide within his heart. She'd make it, and afterward, they'd have their date, his mother's flirting be damned.

Zara blinked, momentarily taken aback by Aodh's words, before bursting into laughter. She hadn't intended to make him uncomfortable, but his concern for his mother's opinions lifted a weight off her shoulders. "Here I was thinking you were going to drop me off and leave me for good." she said between laughs, wiping away tears of mirth. Clearing her throat to regain a bit of composure, she continued, "I won't let her words phase me, because I know the truth. People talk and have their own opinions, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter." Shrugging, she folded her arms across her chest, her foot tapping lightly that rested over her knee.

Everything appeared far more serious than she had initially thought after his confession of what resided within the envelope, her eyes widening at the magnitude of what was at stake regarding her abilities and transitioning to the next chapter. "Oh... really?" It was the only comment she could summon at that moment, sinking back into her chair as she gazed out at the passing scenery. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught a subtle gesture Aodh had hoped she wouldn't notice, and her heart clenched with a pang of empathy.

She didn't want Aodh to carry this weight of sadness, so she swiftly rose from her seat, enveloping him in a tight hug. His head nestled against her chest, her cheek resting gently atop his lilac tresses. "Shhh... no more of that," she murmured softly, attempted to soothe his own fears. "I'm the one who should apologize. It's natural for me to overthink everything after you rescued me from such a terrible past."

Kissing the top of his head, she caught the lingering scent of his shampoo, feeling a sense of comfort as if they were in their own home. A soft smile graced her lips as she realized that she had found a sense of home within him. "That sounds lovely. I'd love to experience the Harvest Moon Ritual with you, visit the hot springs, and anything else you desire. Just keep smiling, okay?" Releasing him from the hug, she leaned in to kiss his cheek before returning to her seat, grateful that they had cleared the air and discussed what was weighing on their minds.

The rest of the journey passed in quietude, with Aodh absorbed in his book while Zara took the opportunity to catch up on some much-needed rest. As the train slowed during breaks, Zara's body jolted slightly forward, snapping her awake from her slumber. She glanced around anxiously, momentarily fearing something had gone wrong, but soon relaxed as she realized they had safely reached their destination. She hoped she hadn't embarrassed herself with her sleeping posture, and more importantly, she prayed she hadn't snored. But Aodh seemed unfazed by any of that, reaching for her arm as they prepared to embark on the rest of their day.

"You seem more nervous than I am," she remarked with a yawn, pondering if she truly grasped the gravity of the situation. "What happens if I don't pass?" she wondered aloud, the two stepping out into the welcoming embrace of a gentle breeze. Navigating an unfamiliar area, she leaned on Aodh to lead the way, her arm tightly wrapped around his to prevent any chance of getting separated.

Back
Top Bottom