Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Bad Endings

I love a bad ending in which my love interest is impregnated by another guy before I confessed to her (maybe I went somewhere and left her with him, or maybe he got her before I even knew her). Knowing she's been tainted and filled by someone else, and taught about sex, before I could do it is extremely hot to me. It's difficult for me to reach orgasm with any other thought. The game over/mission failed endings are always my favourite.

I enjoy writing dark themes. Often, rainbows and sunshine doesn't inspire me. That doesn't mean I'm against good endings either. The biggest thing is that it makes sense. I don't go out of my way asking for bad ends, but the themes I seek usually leaves it as an open possibility.

To be honest, I haven't RPed too many bad ends, or endings in general. That would imply the RP has ended and most of my RPs are LT, which means usually someone fizzles out before it truly ends.

If my character dies, so does the RP (unless playing as a new character). If I'm enjoying myself as well as my partner, I don't want the RP to end, so no end, good or bad, tends to happen.

I crave very bad endings, its all I do really incorporating anything and everything that cant happen in rl without harm...

I enjoy writing dark themes. Often, rainbows and sunshine doesn't inspire me. That doesn't mean I'm against good endings either. The biggest thing is that it makes sense. I don't go out of my way asking for bad ends, but the themes I seek usually leaves it as an open possibility.

To be honest, I haven't RPed too many bad ends, or endings in general. That would imply the RP has ended and most of my RPs are LT, which means usually someone fizzles out before it truly ends.

If my character dies, so does the RP (unless playing as a new character). If I'm enjoying myself as well as my partner, I don't want the RP to end, so no end, good or bad, tends to happen.
I try to have a scope and some sort of blueprint of where we want to be at a certain time. We usually have something big event we are leading to, and moving on to the next, to increase our chances at getting to our ending, good or bad. Nothing hurts me worse than giving over a year to a well developed story to suddenly burn out.

I crave very bad endings, its all I do really incorporating anything and everything that cant happen in rl without harm...
As much as I enjoy a heart-wrenching bad ending, having that be the ending to every story can become monotonous.

I have only done a couple of RPs with a bad ending. Both times it was agreed upon before we started. MC was to be a victim, so I was OK with it

Just wrote up a mock ending for the sudden and brutal death of a character my partner and I have been writing up for a while now. It was unceremonious, cold, sudden, and the attacker didn't give a damn. The wonderful character who we wrote to overcome obstacles, find love and happiness and succeed, was suddenly a corpse filled with stabbing wounds in her own home. She did get to fight back in a way, but in no way that would have saved her life.

Thankfully my partner and I are okay with her staying alive. Sometimes I write these things to stay in practice.
I have only done a couple of RPs with a bad ending. Both times it was agreed upon before we started. MC was to be a victim, so I was OK with it
Lovely avatar.

Just wrote up a mock ending for the sudden and brutal death of a character my partner and I have been writing up for a while now. It was unceremonious, cold, sudden, and the attacker didn't give a damn. The wonderful character who we wrote to overcome obstacles, find love and happiness and succeed, was suddenly a corpse filled with stabbing wounds in her own home. She did get to fight back in a way, but in no way that would have saved her life.

Thankfully my partner and I are okay with her staying alive. Sometimes I write these things to stay in practice.

Lovely avatar.

I personally am all for the bad endings. Where I like your average fluffy romance or an exciting happy adventure plots with happy endings a lot sometimes I crave for some darker plots with "happily ( n )ever after" ending. Bad ends also works well with my more darker, extreme and taboo kinks I want to sometimes throw into my roleplays and some plots/plot-hooks I create.

I am a real mix, I enjoy bad endings buy often want them to lead into a further story and eventually a good one. I am particularly fond of RPs where main characters go to hell and manage to escape. People might think that is beyond dark, but I love both rainbows and torture, in fantasy that is. I am actually very well adjusted and kind IRL.

Bad endings that fit with the story presented are totally acceptable to me! Just not EVERY story, or even most. Just the right ones.

Glorifying the death, defeat or undoing of your hard written characters is an odd way to appreciate them. I like to add slivers of hope. Like a woman who is a sight seer being burned as a witch. When she is burned, an Angel comes down and recovers her, leaving the accusers in a state of absolute wonder. Not heeding her warnings, the land is lost to whatever it was she was trying to prevent.

67wn7v.jpg

I am a real mix, I enjoy bad endings buy often want them to lead into a further story and eventually a good one. I am particularly fond of RPs where main characters go to hell and manage to escape. People might think that is beyond dark, but I love both rainbows and torture, in fantasy that is. I am actually very well adjusted and kind IRL.
Personally I don't think that is a bad ending, it's a mid-way point at best. For me, a bad ending has to be the end, there is no hope for redemption, no chance at a better life, at salvation. It's final. I do enjoy bad ends on occasion, they aren't for everybody and I don't often write them but the concept is a fun thing for me to play with.

Personally I don't think that is a bad ending, it's a mid-way point at best. For me, a bad ending has to be the end, there is no hope for redemption, no chance at a better life, at salvation. It's final. I do enjoy bad ends on occasion, they aren't for everybody and I don't often write them but the concept is a fun thing for me to play with.
I wouldn't disagree with your definition, but I guess I sort of feel an "end" can include the end of a scene, situation, chapter, whatever. A character can have a bad ending to a relationship, or quest. I guess I just don't have a better word for it. I've had partners who like to start an RP with a bad end. For example, their character being captured by some monster and the RP is about that experience living with the monster.

See I prefer to call that a setback, or some drama mid RP which, I'm with you, I absolutely love. I don't like just slice of life alone for that very reason, there needs to be something else in it for me to make the story into a story you know? For a bad end though, in my opinion, it's usually the end. A rough ending, a capture and torture, an unfortunate death, something which isn't recoverable and puts one or both of the main characters in a terrible situation to close it all out.

I've never actually RPed a violent bad-end, and I've written most things.

As far as bad-ends are concerned, I've exclusively dabbled in that very hentai-y mind-break/lost all free will sort of thing? Corrupted champions who are now little more than whores? 'Breaking' plays, basically. I think it's more than an acceptable way to wrap up certain plays, and a fitting end for certain characters. Usually the too haughty for their own good varieties.

That said though, I have only written that in the context of 'one-shots', with the full acknowledgement that even a 'one-shot' for me equates to like 50+ pages on a google doc. I have a harder time wanting to incorporate that as an 'external' force or something or another, meaning, subjugating two main characters to some 3rd party 'evil' villain or whatever. When I do write bad-ends, I pretty much exclusively write the 'villain.'

This is probably just trauma from waaaay too many TPK from my D&D days though. If I'm writing the hero, I just want the hero to win goddammit. If I have to make one more fucking character because friend A decided to pickpocket the guard or friend B nat-1ed while tryna to charm a dragon. Or that one time my fully decked out homebrew with all the magical artifacts got hehe xd'ed-- ah yes, the trauma, it's surfacing again.

So yes, bad-ends can be fun, but personally can't see myself wanting to write it outside of specific contexts.

I enjoy bad endings when they don't feel "out of nowhere" and we didn't do everything we could to avoid that result. I also enjoy being the DM that inflicts the bad ending on the characters assuming player consent but I am a sadist in that regard...

For me this is something that would be decided during the planning stage of the scene. If a bad end is the goal of the story, then there has to be value in the story due to the character's struggles. I treat the role plays I engage in as collaborative stories, generally filled with character driven plot, hopefully clever dialogue, and a variety of bodily fluids.

A bad end for the sake it probably isn't something I would be excited to write towards, but a crafted tragedy? Now that can be something that sticks in the mind for a long time.

Romeo and Juliet would not be as memorable if they lived happily ever after, the story has a bad ending for the titular pair, and the two families are forced to cope with the consequences of their actions and that grief. Anyone who saw the first season of Aldnoah Zero can attest to how powerful the tragic end is. But when all of it was undone in season 2, it was cheapened, even though it was a happier ending.

When I am writing with a partner, managing the expectations of the story, the characters and the ultimate outcome is something we discuss upfront, the exploration of how we get there is where the fun comes in for me, personally.

For me personally, the journey is more important than the destination. If we are working towards a bad end, I would want the lead up to be the best it could be.

Bad endings, if done well, can evoke a fantastic emotional response. Tragedy holds a special place in the hearts of humans. Just look at the tale of Romeo and Juliet as an example, it's timeless.

It's one huge reason I'm drawn to series like Overlord and Goblin Slayer. It's the raw response of characters meeting their downfall through hubris, bad luck, lack of preparation or some combination of the three. Maybe not for the main characters, but it's the background characters that suffer these fates. In those ways, it's bad ends all around.

I love bad ends, personally. As a huge painslut, getting tortured/raped to death is literally like fantasy number 1. It's the best. Especially if the setting allows for magicthat can be used to yada yada me back to life and go through it again.

Back
Top Bottom