Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pokemon Rocket (Kal Tammy x Raku)

The plan didn’t go in the intended direction. He underestimated the speed of his Pokémon, who was slower than both twin’s. She didn’t reach Shinx in time to save Rivers and keep Blue in the battle. It was now a two on one with him at a disadvantage. The tension filled the air as Yuki weighed his options. ”Try to finish off Rattata, Vivi!” In the end, he decided to fight the opponent Rivers chipped away at. Maybe he will get lucky again.

Yuki applies focus orders

Eevee Tackles Rattata
AC 2: [1d20+1]=19+1=20 Hit!

Damage: [2d6+14]=9+14=23

Vivi was able to finish the job that River had started, knocking out the weakened Rattata before it could focus on the Eevee. Now it was one on one and the slower Nidoran made its move, lashing out with its paws to scratch at Vivi. Fortunately it wasn’t nearly as hard hitting as the other Pokemon in this battle.

Rattata faints

Nidoran uses Scratch
AC2: 7, hit
Damage: 12 (Normal, Physical)

Yuki watched the battlefield with intense focus as Vivi dispatched another one of the twin’s Pokemon. It appears that one of them wasn’t very good at training defense. Or that could be him overthinking and assuming. Regardless, he can see victory within his sights. Just not within close reach. ”Don’t let up in your assault!”

Yuki applies focused orders

Vivi 44/48 HP

Eevee Tackles Nidoran
AC 2: [1d20+1]=14+1=15 Hit

Damage: [2d6+14]=5+14=19

Vivi's strike sent the Nidoran staggering back and though she was more durable than the other Pokemon thus far displayed, it looked like she was taking more damage than the Eevee. "You can do it Vivi." Blue offering some encouragement to the Pokemon which the girl took in stride.

Scratches Vivi
AC 2: 13, hit

Damage: 18 (Normal, Physical)

It was true that Yuki wasn’t a good trainer, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t have the ability to learn. This is what he has been doing for the past two days. He’s has a good grasp on judging Vivi’s and Nidoran’s stamina, seeing who may come out on top. Their opponent is doing worst than Vivi, who is still better off. Time to widen the gap further.

”Finish her off as quick as possible.” A small smile formed after hearing Blue’s encouragement.

Yuki applies brutal orders

Vivi 34/48 HP

Vivi uses Tackle on Nidoran
AC 2: [1d20+1]=2+1=3 Hit!

Damage: [2d6+14]=4+14=18

The strike barely hit as the Nidoran almost managed to hunker down behind its defenses, but Vivi managed to strike through and deal damage. Once more it growled out and lashed out with claws, dashing past Vivi as she did. This forced the Eevee to turn and come at things once again.

That'll hit this time, but note that AC is only half the story, Evasion also applies. So a Pokemon with a 2 or higher EV(3 or higher since technically you are hitting on +2 instead of +1) would miss.

Scatch: 19 vs AC 2, hit
Damage: 24 (Physical, Normal)

A sharp hiss left Yuki’s lips as he watched take a devastating blow. There may have been a visible marking on his partner, but at least blood wasn’t drawn. ”Oi Oi....I didn’t think we’d have such a hard battle right away.” His muttering was loud enough for Blue to hear before Yuki shouted at his partner. ”You can quit if you want too! Nothing keeping you from doing so!” But his partner didn’t take the offer.

Sorry. Never took evasion into count.

Vivi 18/48 HP
1 injury

Vivi uses Tackle(big surprise there) on Nidoran!
AC 2: [1d20+1]=19+1=20 Hit!

Damage: [2d6+14]=5+14=19

Blue lay a hand on your arm and gave a light squeeze, giving a reassuring smile. "It'll work out, you'll see. Vivi will pull through." Indeed as the Nidoran, now bloodied, tried to retaliate it stumbled and went wide, missing Vivi entirely.

Hit and Suffers an injury

Scratch: Nat 1, miss

Yuki gave Blue a surprised look because of her actions. He was so focused on the battle that her presence was forgotten. But the girl’s comfort helped to relax him, but not by very much. Seeing Nidoran miss her attack gave him a little more hope, however. Vivi took advantage of this and went in for another tackle.

Yuki applies brutal orders

AC 2: [1d20+1]=18+1=19 Hit!

Damage: [2d6+14]=6+14=20

Niodran skids back from the strike and seems on her last legs. She lashed out once more, claws catching Vivi, but not quite enough to stop the Eevee as she got ready to finish the weakened Pokemon off.

Scratch: 11, hit
Damage: 18 (Normal, Physical)

Yuki’s breath hitched from seeing Vivi’s latest scar. That one was deep enough to draw blood from the evolution Pokemon, who squealed in pain. It was also another moment where he felt conflicted with himself. Should he end it here? Call it off before the fight becomes worst? But what if Vivi resented him for it? ”Finish it! Vivi!”

Vivi 8/48 HP
3 injures

AC 2: [1d20+1]=12+1=13 Hit!

Damage: [2d6+14]=6+14=20

Vivi cried out as she slammed forward, a defiant shout as she pressed her foe once more. Like each other time the Nidoran was pushed back, this time though her legs failed and she collapsed, defeated.

Blue let out a small shout of relief and triumph and pulled you into a hug as the Twins sullenly returned their Pokemon. Vivi meanwhile stumbled over and collapsed to rest, a hard won victory.

The battle was over. It took a few moments for him to process this, so he was just staring at the battlefield for almost a whole minute. Blue’s warm embrace is what brought his mind back to reality. Yuki felt a as if a heavy weight was lifted off of him as Nidoran finally collapsed with defeat. The relieve he felt was similar to when he finally escaped Orre, but also different. Different because it was for Vivi, who isn’t taking a trashing anymore.

Yuki pulled Blue’s arms off of his body and walked out to the field. He didn’t put Vivi back in her ball right away, but take her into his arms, cradling her gently. As if she became so much more fragile. They won, but she got badly hurt doing so. Seeing the state Vivi was in made him want to cry.

”Sorry, Vivi.” The evolution Pokemon was finally returned to her ball as Yuki turned to the twins. This is where they congratulate each other, right? ”Um.....that was a good battle. I.....didn’t think I was going to win there.” At least he’s trying, right?

"Vee." Vivi seemed quite content though tired and battered from the battle. Certainly, she didn't seem to resent you anything from the hard-won fight. Turning to the twins the slightly taller and more bold of the two gave a nod and offered a smile. "A close one for sure, could have really gone either way there. Congratulations on the victory."

At this point a buzz would come from your pokegear and taking a look it'd show money had been added to your account from the trainer house. A thousand Poke for the victory, which seemed matched by what Blue was getting on her end too.

”Thank you. See you two around.” Yuki returned the gesture with a faint smile before going back to Blue. He checked his phone to see his winnings from the battle, which was completely forgotten about during the suffocating struggle. The Pokegear was pocketed away uncaringly as his mind was focused on other things. ”Sorry, Blue. If I knew things were going to get that bad, I wouldn’t have asked you to come with me.” He apologized as he went to bring his Pokémon to be treated. Assuming the Trainer House had healing facilities.

His mind kept playing the battle and all its gruesome details. Is this what the life of a trainer is? To watch Pokémon nearly kill each other for human agenda? People die a lot in the streets and he came to terms with that, becoming more detached from people in general. Pokemon were another story. ”I’m not sure another battle is appropriate after all of that.”

"Nonsense, I'm hardly going to shy away from a tough fight. River and Star will recover quickly and you saw that Vivi enjoyed herself, despite the beating. In the end, Pokemon are born to fight." Which was rather a good thing, it would be a rather cruel world if Pokemon didn't enjoy the one activity the world put them to the most.

The Trainer House did indeed have a healing station and the pair were able to drop their Pokemon off there. Some were a little too beat up to be fully healed, but it got rid of most of the damage and left them all in a fairly good state. "Best to give them all a break after that, maybe some light training later. Any thoughts on what we want to try next today?"

Vivi enjoyed it? He was really skeptical of such an idea. Not many enjoy being in a bloody fight, like she was in with Nidoran. But his mind thought back to her in his arms. The look in her face and soft spoken echo of her name wasn’t one of hate or anger. It was more of content and proud of her victory. Guess there isn’t much he knows about Pokémon right now. Even with all the battles he watched on TV. But that’s only natural. This is his second day as a trainer, after all.

”A few things, actually. I still wanted to catch a Pokémon at the nearby route and check out the contest hall. I’m still curious about it. Sorry, I’ve been thinking about what I want to do and haven’t considered what you wanted to do.”

"Don't you worry about me, I'm a little more aimless. Just looking to wander around and see the world. If I see somewhere I really want to go I'll let you know." Blue very much content to stick around for the time being, though who knows how long that will last. "Well Route 22 is just down the road and you likely won't be coming back to it any time soon, Route 2 meanwhile have to hit for the trip to Pewter City."

Heading out to Route 22 would not take too long, passing a set of trees before coming to the road to Victory Road. Off to the side was tall grass, pushes and a pond, all ideal for catching Pokemon and very much suited to that. It didn't take long before the spotted a pair, certainly less hostile to one another than the birds they had captured earlier. Here you'll see a pair of Nidoran, one more pale like the one you faced earlier while the second was a deeper purple and lower to the ground. A female and male of the species respectfully.

Yuki seemed relaxed to hear this, but a thought did occur to him. Will they stay around longer than Pewter City or will they go their separate ways? A part of him didn’t want her to leave because she was his first real friend. However, a more logical part thought it was a bad idea. She’ll potentially get in the way of his objectives for Rocket. Getting that weight off of him will make things easier.

His silence was the only thing to fill the air as the arrived at the next door Route. The first Pokémon to appear in his sight was a pair of Nidoran. ”I’m gonna capture the female one.” He nudged Blue a little before taking out a basic ball and throwing it at the female.

Yuki uses a basic ball

[1d20]=16

[1d100]=62

Blue gave a nod and prepared one of her own balls as she eyed the remaining Nidoran, though she also was ready to bring out a Pokemon if needs be. Tossing out your ball, it would strike the unsuspecting Nidoran squarely on the head, digitizing her like all Pokemon before attempting the capture. Three shakes, three long shakes but after a long few moments it snapped into place and was captured. Blue had similar luck and the male was also captured.

Stepping up she picked up her Pokeball and clipped it to her belt. "Lucky catch there. Any reason why the female over the male?"

”No particular reason.” Yuki walked over to the Pokémon on the grass and clipped it to his belt, similar to Blue. ”Just thought it was nice. No specialness behind it. Plus I only have two Pokémon on me. Need more to be a effective trainer.” He just couldn’t believe that it didn’t take a whole fight to capture the poison type. At least another trip to the Pokémon center wasn’t necessary. ”How about we go check out the contest hall than?” If Blue agreed, he would allow her to lead the way. Still didn’t know his way around.

"Contest hall it is, but first probably smart of us to get out team trained while we are out here." Training would go smoothly enough and was mostly uneventful, mostly spent getting the two Nidoran used to their trainers. One dramatic thing did happen though in the form of River. The Azuril, quite the small ungrown began to glow and everyone stepped back as energy started to consume the baby Pokemon. After a few seconds the silhouette within the white light grew and in a burst of light it was revealed; River had now grown up. All to the great delight of Blue who eagerly picked up the bigger Pokemon.

Heading to the Contest hall they'd get there in the late afternoon before dusk was setting in though this seemed no hindrance to the place. Approaching the front desk there'd be two options clearly available, 50 yen tickets to watch show or going backstage to try and partake within. "Want to get a look at what's going on first before you give it a try?"

Yuki wasn’t a great trainer. He only had two days worth of experience under his belt and little real knowledge about Pokémon. But this lack of knowledge didn’t seem to get in the way of properly judging the strength of his three Pokémon. The training helped him see this. Vivi was arguably the strongest member of the small team due to her stamina and speed. But it wasn’t anything special. Obversation told him that Pidgey was able to beat out Vivi in speed and her major weakness. Physical strength. What he lacked is better moves to utilize, which Vivi beats him out in. Now he knows what to work on.

Not much can be said about Nidoran. She didn’t do much training because they spent the time getting to know one another. It didn’t take a Pokémon expert to see how annoyed the poison type was about getting catch out of nowhere. Yuki apologized for the ambush, thinking she had something going on with the other Nidoran.

”She evolved already?!” Yuki couldn’t hide the raw surprise in his tone as his Pokedex registered the encounter, revealing the Pokémon to be a Marill. The entry told him that it evolves from Azuril by having a great amount of friendship with its trainer. Can such a thing even be measured? In any case, he made sure to congratulate the two before they finished training.

”Let’s watch one before I try my hands at it. I at least try to learn from a show.” He paid for both of their tickets before getting an idea. ”Why don’t we try it together?”

As Blue cuddled with her newly evolved Pokemon she would explain. “Oh Azurill are basically babies, a few Pokemon have a form like that and are quick to evolve out of it once given the right love and training. What I read suggests River will evolve further fairly quickly.”

At the contest hall Blue was happy to join in after the show, give it her own shot. Entering and paying for the show, the duo entered into a theatre which was decently filled out as they took their seats. On the stage four Pokemon and their trainers came out, each wearing costumes and props to help them stand out. Each tried to get the most attention before the contest truly started. Each in turn would perform moves in a more showy fashion, dashing tackles, colourful bubbles, whirling gusts of wind. A set of judges would score this and the audiences own reaction seemed to help as they went through multiple rounds.

While the show was entertaining with the more skilled trainers, you would get a sense of the strategy behind it. Picking how and when to use your moves, not repeating yourself, timing around your opponents. All provided quote the depth that could be looked into and all certainly benefitted Pokemon with a large selection of useful moves.

By the end a winner was crowned and as well as a small cash prize for the winning trainer an award was given to the victorious Vulpix that stole the show. Blue leaned back in her theatre chair, gesturing. “Those are contests. Some light fun and a more friendly alternative to battling. Some trainers get really into it and watching those performances are something else for sure.”

Yuki a disgruntled look at one of the participants, who costume didn’t sit well with him. Did they not think it through well before throwing that together or picking it? He knew next to nothing about contest, but the basic idea of grabbing people’s attention was easy to understand. Just not the way that participant is doing. Vivi was placed on his lap, so she can see the contest with them. He didn’t speak to Blue during the show, keeping his entire focus on the show and learning from it. The expression on his face was entirely stoic, which made it appear that he wasn’t enjoying the show.

The contest didn’t seem like anything special, but it took some time to feel the strategy behind it. The contest participants were doing their best to one up each other and not be boring. Which means not repeating moves. Which means only Vivi has a chance, out of all his Pokémon, to win a contest. ”Ya, I can tell. Those trainers were really going all out at the end there to one up one another. It still looks really fun, however. Come on! Let’s go sign up for the next one.” He practically drags Blue out to sign them up.

Back
Top Bottom