Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What was the first anime you watched

It was Gurren Lagann for me! No anime could have pulled me in more effectively to be honest.
- An epic protagonist/mentor figure
- a main character who’s struggle is relatable and emotionally impactful without being melodramatic
- epic mech fights overlayed on thought provoking subtext that’ll get you in your feelings

I never stood a chance 😂

The anime I was going to watch was going to be Rurouni Kenshin, but when I expressed an interest in watching the anime, a friend in uni had me sit down and watch Akira. A bit over my head at the time, given that it was a little deeper than what I was looking for, but I genuinely enjoyed it.

Not counting the various -mon franchises that were all the rage when I was a kid, it was Soul Eater. Everything was so bizarre and different, especially for a kid with a sheltered childhood and raised by conservative parents. I can remember some of the thoughts going through my head.

"Why is this guy turning into a scythe?"
"What's with the naked witch?"
"Why is the scythe guy's nose bleeding?"

I was confused, but I couldn't look away. In the end I became what you see now.

Hmm, I could say Speed racer, but cannot recall the year I was on vacation I saw it, but honestly, have to go with Ronin Warriors in '94 if I recall anything anime.

Battle of the Planets.

I know, it was a North American adaptation of Gatchaman, but BotP was the version I got to see.

Mmmm...Princess...

That entirely depends on if Jayce and the wheeled warriors counts as an anime. It's made by some of the big anime studios but I think it was a western product overall.

My Neighbor Totoro

My mom bought me the first English dubbed version on VHS in 1993.

First anime tv show was either Sailor Moon or Wee Wendy/Little Memole, I can't remember which. My family was in the Navy and we were overseas in Italy in 1995. On our little tv, I caught Italian dubbed episodes of Sailor Moon occasionally. But visiting my grandparents in the states once a year, they had a VHS tape that my aunt watched with the anime Wee Wendy on it. I don't recall which hit my eyeballs first out of the two.

Cowboy-Bebop or definitely Inyuasha.
Had a crush on Kagome when I was younger

I was obsessed with Sailor Moon as a kid. But that isn't my first anime, I can't really remember what my first anime was but it probably was something from Nippon Animation's World Masterpiece Theater series.

The first anime I actually watched was My Neighbor Totoro, though I was young enough to not see it as anime at the time.

As I grew older I fell into the age cliche's - Pokemon, DragonBall etc. It honestly wasn't until I was in high school that I recognized these shows as anime, and started watching some other classics like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Akira and Ghost in the Shell.

Back
Top Bottom