Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Do you have an inner dialogue?

Do you think in internal words before you speak aloud?

• Yes, it's my own voice inside my head

Votes: 30 60.0%
  • No, when I think words, I am speaking them aloud

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Sometimes it is a little of both

Votes: 18 36.0%

• Total voters

Jericho Z. Barrons

Withdrawn
Withdrawn
When you think about things, is it in words, like a tiny voice(s)? Or is it just pictures and a general feeling?

"Fun fact: some people have an internal narrative and some don't
As in, some people's thoughts are like sentences they "hear", and some people just have abstract non-verbal thoughts, and have to consciously verbalize them
And most people aren't aware of the other type of person."

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/KylePlantEmoji/status/1221713792913965061

Scientists explain the viral ‘internal narrative’ phenomenon

All the articles I have read on this say it's less either/or and more of a spectrum. Where do you fall on this?

Definitely a little of both but I would say more often than not it’s a lil, pretty often chaotic, voice inside my head.

It is a swirling maelstrom of images, colors, words of random relevance and memories in here.

Definitely not a clear, thought out sentence. Wouldn't that be lovely...

When I opened this thread my inner monologue was telling me that I suppose I do hear my own voice inside my head. So I guess I do. Now it's...you don't wanna know.

It sings to me sometimes.

There are moments when I have fantasies where they're pictures, like a movie playing. But even then, the characters in these internal stories talk to each other in full words and sentences.

Other than that, I internally think in words all the time. Sometimes, I internally narrate what I'm doing but more often then not, I put the body on autopilot(such as while doing dishes, cooking, driving, etc.) and my mind wanders off on other topics. I talk to myself about philosophical topics, think through how things work by giving myself mechanical or scientific lessons, I tell myself jokes that make me laugh out loud. My internal voice even speaks words that are hurtful sometimes. 95% of the time though, that inner voice and I are best friends.

I mostly have the internal thoughts form sentences thing, but I also have a lot of thoughts that don't easily correlate to words

I have a lot of internal thoughts myself and consider my inner dialogue to be pretty strong and almost an anchor for my sanity. The problem is I do sometimes mutter things aloud, especially if I'm distracted. I will say that it's gotten to a point where my inner dialogue is both my worst enemy and my best friend, but more so the latter since I tend to run ideas through myself and consider options from different perspectives through this.

Fun fact is, as a bilingual person, I am constantly switching up the language of my inner dialogue. Lately I've been contemplating what a good friend of mine said, which was "the language that you think in the most is your language of reason", which I've slowly found to be true, actually.

Oh God, yeah. I have a near constant internal dialogue. It's in 'sentence' form if we're using the two types. There gets to be points where if there is something on my mind and it's been on my mind all day I end up going into monologue rants in my car on the way home. I'm having a debate or discussion with no one but me and my steering wheel. XD

Fun fact, I guess I also have a somewhat unique ability to hear voices I've heard say things I've never heard them say. Like, I could have Arin Hanson narrate my life in my mind even though I've never heard him say certain words so my brain wouldn't 'copy/paste' the use of said word from a memory or something. I can't explain it exactly but I read about such a quirk once. Found it pretty interesting, to be honest. So sometimes my inner dialogue will 'voice act' to someone else.

Well I don't necessarily hear or have real thoughts, more like abstract thoughts that somehow materialize and are voiced out. So you might actually listen to me, talking as if I were too different persons. Like speaking for both parts? Other times I just have these abstract thoughts but reply to them. I could be thinking of a certain topic and I would reply and pretty much it'd seem as if I were talking to someone invisible or something. And I also have this narration thingy, specially if I need to focus, I kind of narrate what I am doing, how I would approach the situation, why I do it that way, basically like a tutorial, but most of the time it is improvised. Also it isn't forced. It just comes out, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

It actually is quite therapeutic, specially if I am in front of a mirror, I can kinda voice out some thoughts and then my personal opinion about it. As if my reflection actually replied. The last thing actually gives me existential issues tho, so I tend to avoid staring too long at a mirror. The whole existential thing makes me feel uneasy and it will trigger if I am in front of a mirror for a prolonged period of time

Oh yeah, I have an inner monologue. It's gotten to the point where I'm talking out loud to myself. I probably picked it up from watching a lot of media where a character talking to themselves (or the camera) is used. I know a lot of people like to joke "It's okay to talk to yourself as long as you don't answer it". Honestly, I find that kind of thinking unhelpful. I feel it really comes in handy when I'm writing and thinking up ideas. It helps me flesh things out.

I have an inner monologue/visual image in my head at all times. It represents my most conscious line of thinking, whereas the subconscious may be doing other things in the background. As a result of this, I hear all the words I write or read. Including these ones. :p

It's not my own voice, or any voice, usually. I can focus to attach any voice I care to it, mine or someone else's, or an eldritch horror's. Or whatever. But usually it's just a stream of words and concepts.

Like most things about me, my thoughts are... chaotic.

I think in images, in words, in impressions and concepts, and I usually have some two or three trains of thought running at a time. I also have a hard time holding thoughts in my head, so if I'm working on a scene (and I'm almost always writing in my head) I might have to 'play it back' several times to actually get the detail, especially with visual thought which is especially hard to hold onto. Some mental images are incredibly clear but don't last, others are very vague and I have to tease out details, some are kind of vague but very brief.

I've been told (more than once by more than one person) that I'm what they call an Indigo Child. I've had an inner monologue (sounds like me, usually) is something that I've always had. The hard part is figuring out which is me and which isn't.

I grew up living in my head and still do. I day dream and think a lot so yeah lots of internal dialogue and imagery etc

Both. The more tired I am, the more my thoughts tend toward abstract images/emotions. But 90% of the time I'm pretty sure I think in words. In my experience, the more 'linearly' someone thinks, the more enunciated their thoughts tend to be. And the more 'radial', the more images/emotions. I am a disgustingly boring linear thinker.

I hear a lot, see sometimes. Emotional connection plays in. It really depends what I'm engaging with, definitely sets me in different moods at a time.

Both ... it depends on how focused I am into the writing. If I am writing quick replies, not much internal voices. Just type what comes to mind and 'press edit' if I need to do any changes. If I am writing longer posts then definitely!!! Also I have to include daydreaming, I like to think of fictional what-if worlds. What would I do with power to teleport and create gold from air kind of deal ...

In short, plenty of mischief!!

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. I usually don't have an inner monologue, I just sort of do things and think things without having to have that, like a blank slate that actions and thoughts pop out of mysteriously. But if I start actively thinking about it, sometimes I will sort of segue myself into having one, kind of like how when you think about your breathing you might end up taking control of it for the next few minutes.

At times I can have discordant strings of images, while I can have little voices in my head that fit the character at times.

I have a super clear inner monologue, yeah, and it never shuts up lol. I have never ever been able to actually 'clear my mind' as people say, my brain is always abuzz with some kind of thought. It's a blessing and a curse, makes it hard to focus on real life sometimes but I'm never bored since I can so easily make up my own movies in my head to keep me occupies, helps a lot with my creativity.

Back
Top Bottom