Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

One-Shots

Just wanted to add that fandom one-shots are awesome.

Ever just finish a game/anime/whatever and just really want to smash two of your favorite characters together (but can't be bothered to write a 200 page saga)? Boom, one shot. Short and sweet (or not so sweet). And revel in the satisfaction of actually finishing an RP for once.

Or, if we were being honest, ever just really want to write something featuring your 2D waifu or husbando but don't have the time or attention span to commit to something longer-term? I got just the thing for you, friendo. It's called the awesomesauce of one-shots.

This is coming from someone who has written enough League of Legends one-shots (back in its hayday) to fill more than one binder, so maybe take it with a grain of salt. xD

Sometimes I really crave them. To be able to play out an idea in one session over a couple of hours or so. I still like detail and story but once the objective has been achieved the RP is done.

Actually what I often like to do as of late is design a RP to be shorter term, and then if I find I work well with the other person we either extend the RP or do something else long term

It can be a good way to check chemistry.
I have been wanting to try out a one shot since coming back to writing. I usually have written long terms stories but I never know how to end them. I would love to plan an ending out before hand and as Claire said, check out how my chemistry is with the person before committing to a longer project.

I'd like to do more one shots to see if I click with my writing partner. It sounds much better than starting something long term only to find out after a few posts that things really aren't working for either of you. It could be one of the reasons that ghosting is so common.

I'd like to do more one shots to see if I click with my writing partner. It sounds much better than starting something long term only to find out after a few posts that things really aren't working for either of you. It could be one of the reasons that ghosting is so common.
Sounds about right.

There's no reason a one-shot can't evolve into a longer, fuller story if the writers feel like doing so.

Sounds about right.

There's no reason a one-shot can't evolve into a longer, fuller story if the writers feel like doing so.
Gonna have to agree here.

Some of my best stories have been one-shots that have evolved into full-fledged narratives.

Sounds about right.

I like the idea of approaching it like a possible serial. Where instead of trying to have an ongoing narrative, when one plot is done you take the same characters and start a new adventure.

I’ve done that before when I had the right partner and it works well.

I like the idea of approaching it like a possible serial. Where instead of trying to have an ongoing narrative, when one plot is done you take the same characters and start a new adventure.

I’ve done that before when I had the right partner and it works well.

Same! I've often proposed that in RP's

Non con is my preference and I admit often I struggle to go beyond a one shot or single scene within a longer roleplay. It's thrilling when the story develops and can maintain quality over time. Yet, sometimes a one shot can be extremely good quality and remain a favorite for years.

One-shots are really mixed bag for me. If I play with a partner that I enjoy roleplaying with or want to test if me and my possible future partner are compatible RP partners I'm open for them, even more so if this one-shot can be used as a base for a longer story, but more often than not I believe they really aren't my thing.

Reason for this is pretty much the same the reason I prefer story-driven RPs over sex-driven RPs. Where I enjoy smut A LOT the smut alone has a hard time to keep me invested in the play despite the short nature of the play, unless my partner magically wants to base the one-shot on a fandom, setting, smutty prompt or a specific kink that I am REALLY itching to play out I don't really see myself getting excited over one-shots.

As I wrote all this out the thought of playing certain kinks out, trying certain pairing in a one-shot-type play started to sound more enticing in my head funnily enough, so might make some dedicated one-shot section to my RT and give them another go, but admittedly still pretty skeptical about me liking them.

I have a few One Shot types of ideas, not necessarily limited to one scene but shorter and quicker concepts where the idea is to lead to some kind of finale. In one instance it is a man and woman who are housemates, the man has the hots for the woman, and she knows it and likes the attention but that's it. He tells her his birthday is coming up and he is thinking of checking out the new brothel in town. She feels threatened and offers him a date on his birthday and then a second-best kind of deal, he will get to dry hump her at the end of the evening. He knows it is a bad deal but it is likely as close as he will get to being with her.

So simple and perhaps silly ideas like that appeal to me for simpler One Shot type RP's.

I love them so much I have a whole thread for them :p

But yeah I love them for 2 reasons. First and most simple is just that they're great for experimenting, or getting ideas out of my system. Sometimes (often) i don't wanna bother much with long term plotting, just make an outline and crack on with it. Second is they can be great for meeting potential longer term partners, and can be spun out into a longer plot if the idea goes well.
Also sometimes I tend to lose interest/ energy in long term stuff through absolutely no fault of my partner, either irl happens, or i get sick with the idea, or I get fixated on a new game or smth, so going for short term rps can be better because it means there aren't any grand elaborate plans that get left in the dust.

I love them so much I have a whole thread for them :p

But yeah I love them for 2 reasons. First and most simple is just that they're great for experimenting, or getting ideas out of my system. Sometimes (often) i don't wanna bother much with long term plotting, just make an outline and crack on with it. Second is they can be great for meeting potential longer term partners, and can be spun out into a longer plot if the idea goes well.
Also sometimes I tend to lose interest/ energy in long term stuff through absolutely no fault of my partner, either irl happens, or i get sick with the idea, or I get fixated on a new game or smth, so going for short term rps can be better because it means there aren't any grand elaborate plans that get left in the dust.
In a nutshell, yeah!

Back
Top Bottom