Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

One-Shots

I've seen a lot of people put 1-2 writing samples in their RTs. What's even more common is that people would post samples in a journal in the journals section. Its what I personally do. I think it keeps the RT tidy and I get to post however many samples I want in my journal.

I actually like that idea as well. I read your sample and....
"Tears freely rained from his hazel colored eyes, watering his rosy cheeks like dew on petals. "
👏

One-shot is what you make of it, honestly. I approach it as 1-5 scenes exploring the premise of an idea ("home invasion") with no expectation of a sequel to that. Sort of a TV show episode or a little shorter, up to a movie's runtime.

The trick for me is that a one-shot usually allows for a sequel - same characters in a new situation, same premise with one character or just the idea continued, or an actual new 'episode' to the roleplay. Either way, a chance to then stop, refresh, and see what comes next while having a solid piece of content between partners.

One or two typos are expected and absolutely fine -- I mean the 50% typo posts where they're so distracting that I spend more time trying to decipher the meaning rather than reading for enjoyment.

I was under the impression that a one-shot was a single scenario type of deal. I guess I would fall under long-term(?) rp instead. Multiple scenes are necessary to me for me to get that satisfying build up between characters.

Same, as I said I tend to do long term myself, though in all honesty one shots might suit me better when it comes to some of the things I like to write. Non-con lends itself better to one shots I think, because in long term I want romance and fluff and it's hard to get past your character being an absolute asshole. Difficult to stay in those shoes, you know? And the multiple scenes are a must for me to truly enjoy a roleplay, most of them non-sexual. One of my very favourite ones we were on like page 9 before they had sex, that kind of long term I wouldn't be able to enjoy with non-con.

One-shot is what you make of it, honestly. I approach it as 1-5 scenes exploring the premise of an idea ("home invasion") with no expectation of a sequel to that. Sort of a TV show episode or a little shorter, up to a movie's runtime.

The trick for me is that a one-shot usually allows for a sequel - same characters in a new situation, same premise with one character or just the idea continued, or an actual new 'episode' to the roleplay. Either way, a chance to then stop, refresh, and see what comes next while having a solid piece of content between partners.
I like this a lot!! Then the option would always be open to continue

Same, as I said I tend to do long term myself, though in all honesty one shots might suit me better when it comes to some of the things I like to write. Non-con lends itself better to one shots I think, because in long term I want romance and fluff and it's hard to get past your character being an absolute asshole. Difficult to stay in those shoes, you know? And the multiple scenes are a must for me to truly enjoy a roleplay, most of them non-sexual. One of my very favourite ones we were on like page 9 before they had sex, that kind of long term I wouldn't be able to enjoy with non-con.
I must be a weirdo b/c even with NC scenes, I still need the emotional buildup. It’s the difference of licking a picture of an ice cream cone versus eating the real thing

Long term NC is possible when inner turmoil is dialed up high =) and the dom is torn between being the good and bad guy (swoon)

I think I can agree with that, somewhat. I'm doing something similar with Siren right now, though no actual non-con, more a kidnapping-365 days scenario. With a vampire, because wanted to write a vampire and I can be terribly unoriginal. The turmoil is very real but it's also kind of tough sometimes to make them into the good guy when they are clearly the bad guy. Challenging to write, I love the RP, but sometimes I want to slap him upside the head.

I think I can agree with that, somewhat. I'm doing something similar with Siren right now, though no actual non-con, more a kidnapping-365 days scenario. With a vampire, because wanted to write a vampire and I can be terribly unoriginal. The turmoil is very real but it's also kind of tough sometimes to make them into the good guy when they are clearly the bad guy. Challenging to write, I love the RP, but sometimes I want to slap him upside the head.

Every bad guy always thinks they're doing good in the world, right? And I think that's great that you want to smack him upside the head -- it means you're doing great work to create someone who ticks you off.

I've read through a thread you share with Siren and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of the descriptions in each post as well as your shared ability to marathon post!! I don't know how I would be able to keep up to 100's and more! A post count in the 50's would be more my ballpark... Then again, I say this as someone who hasn't threaded here yet and who knows what my range will end up being

I'm sure you'll surprise yourself, once you get into a story it's easy to go way past 100 posts without even realising it, Siren and I post like that with each other, we each write a post at the same time so we both have a new one to read in each of our roleplays, it's like our thing, and with others we use a more normal posting pattern. :p She's far more descriptive than I am too, I think I get overshadowed.

I hate and love the character, trying to play him as not evil, but more...he hasn't been human in a long, long time so he doesn't think about things the same way.

One Shot is a term I use as well for a 'one and done' styled scene. For me they work best when used for sexual heavy scenes that are designed to be 'quickies'. If I'm in the mood for a more 'wham bam thank you ma'am' scenario where nothing is really expected after the sex, I'll refer to such as a One Shot. Though I have actually had One Shots turn into Short or even Long Term scenes if me and my partner click writing style and goal wise. Make more out of 'nothing' so to speak.

I like it as a chemistry check. If we can make it through a one-and-done and come up with something sexy, the hardest part (a page or so of just plain writing together) in most started roleplays has passed!

Sometimes I like them for sure. A single plot/device that gets played out, doesn't mean it has to be quick necessarily or one liners/shallow but once the objective is played out it's over rather than the characters continuing on with something else.

If the partnership was good I can always ask my partner if they want to try something else.

I've been really hard-pressed to find anyone who is fine with short-term for me. So far, everyone who has approached me here is seeking long-term. Not that I mind, of course- I love LT to bits too! I take it as a compliment when people wanna stick around for the long term.

I've been really hard-pressed to find anyone who is fine with short-term for me. So far, everyone who has approached me here is seeking long-term. Not that I mind, of course- I love LT to bits too! I take it as a compliment when people wanna stick around for the long term.
The way I see it is if you find the right partner you can do a series of one shot style rp's so it is still a long term partnership. I have done that before but it's all about finding the right person.

See, I like long term, but that mental commitment isn't necessarily good, especially if either party plays for a bit and realizes it doesn't work. Lady Irony has the best compromise I think. Take it from scene to scene, let it grow into that adventure. It's easy to promise long term. I think it's interesting to think of how many want it vs how often it actually works.

See, I like long term, but that mental commitment isn't necessarily good, especially if either party plays for a bit and realizes it doesn't work. Lady Irony has the best compromise I think. Take it from scene to scene, let it grow into that adventure. It's easy to promise long term. I think it's interesting to think of how many want it vs how often it actually works.
Thanks. For me a One Shot isn't necessarily just one scene but rather an objective or end game once that is played out it can either be extended, sort of like a sequel if the partnership is good or an entirely new RP is started.

I had a great partner for a while and we would have up to 5 RP's going at once, some would be shorter than others. But the majority of them would actually come to a conclusion which was great. Ideas that didn't work would just be put on hold or abandoned.

Works better than these epic stories that seldom get passed a few posts anyway.

I think one shots are a good way to scratch an itch. Be it a kink, a character, a specific scene ...

However, I find them great to measuring compatibility with other writers. Start a short scene, and if we hit it off, chances are we’ll write something else with a more long term nature. Sometimes one shots grow to be long term with the right set ups.

They’re a fun way to meet new writers and roleplayers and learning more about them.

I actually enjoy writing them for these reasons mentioned above.

One Shots are amazing. You can work with a couple or a setting and do a scene or a kink you want to do without all that build-up necessary prior to it. Been writing a nice little Final Fantasy 7 scene for a while that falls under One Shot territory. Wholesome and fulfilling.

Recently I've discovered that using One Shots to determine chemistry with a potential partner is a secondary advantage to them, and one I plan to use frequently with people I don't know too well. Unless the discussion thread is absolutely bonkers with chemistry and plotting, and we are both a 100% hype for the same things to come, and they're actually able to hold a decent discussion with me, I'm using a One Shot to see what they have to bring to the table. Being able to discuss an idea we'd both enjoy is great, but if the writing isn't on point then it's best I see that ASAP. That's why I always recommend people flex their writing skills by linking a sample in the RT, so people can see what you're capable of.

If we can't get past a single scene, then we were never making it in a long term roleplay. The value of a short story is huge, with zero drawbacks; less time and energy spent on someone you couldn't work out with. I love doing them.

I cut my RP teeth on One Shots and quite like them just playing out a simple story but simple doesn't have to mean brain dead either. I tend to prefer playing One Shot's in one sitting on some kind of Instant Messenger so you get those quick back and forth responses. But I would be happy to play over a period of time as well until the main plot played itself out.

The joy of actually being able to finish stories too cannot be underestimated!

I approach one shots as a kind of trial run piece. You can spend hours, days, weeks with someone plotting out the perfect, long term story but wind up not being a good match for one another. Or life happens and that long, detailed roleplay that you built with that partner fizzles out after just a few posts. With a one shot scene, you can start to get an idea of how two people write together, and maybe leave it open to more interaction. This is also a way to scratch a particular itch - and if you like the way that your partner scratches that itch with you, it could lead to more story build up or a more long term plot with them.

Oh, absolutely. They tend to cut-to-the-chase pretty quickly and more often than not will be a worm in my brain that I need to write out with someone or else I'll go insane. Light build-up and characterization / worldbuilding -> Sex -> Afterglow - > End scene. That formula each time typically. They're pretty good for, as other people have said, flexing your muscles with your partner to see if you can work together.

I have very occasionally done it in parallel to a longer normal story to develop something or whatever, but I like to care about my characters so this seems like a lot of work for no result and wouldn't scratch my itch

I personally enjoy One Shots from time to time. They're really good for a story idea that you haven't really developed out, and probably won't turn into a full fledged novel. And one shot doesn't imply one scene, it simply means a story of limited length: either by real life time, or when the characters reach a certain point in the story.

I have very occasionally done it in parallel to a longer normal story to develop something or whatever, but I like to care about my characters so this seems like a lot of work for no result and wouldn't scratch my itch
It depends some times you can take the characters and do a sequel so to speak with a different story line.

I like them it doesn't mean it has to be simple either. I see them as more being like an episode of a TV show than a movie. You just deal with one situation and when it is done you roll the credits.

Back
Top Bottom