Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Echolocation (Blinded & Survivor00)

Daniel Whittaker sighed and wiped his forehead as he dragged open the old barn door to look at the dusty machinery that sat there. He didnâ??t know the first thing about running a farm, he was a city boy! He had only inherited the farm recently, and was probably just going to sell it once he was sure that it was in good enough condition to sell. The farmhouse was in the best condition, of course, he had been sleeping there for a few days while he inspected the farm. The barn was going to be one of the last places he would need to look. He walked into the barn, looking around. A tractor from thirty years ago sat in the center of the barn, untouched since his father had grown too old to operate it himself. There was a layer of dust everywhere.

â??Jesusâ?¦â? He muttered, looking around. â??Letâ??s hope they donâ??t mind cleaningâ?¦â? Aside from being used to store a tractor, there wasnâ??t much else here, no hay bales, at least not down hereâ?¦ Heâ??d have to check the hayloftâ?¦ Looking around, he found a small ladder leading to the upper part of the barn. He grabbed the rungs and shook the ladder. It rattled a little, but was still in good condition for how old it was. He climbed up to the hayloft and looked around. As he expected, it was full of hay bales, most of them starting to turn gray with age. He frowned. He would have to clear it outâ?¦

A soft sound that caught his attention. It sounded like someoneâ?¦snoring? He blinked, walking forward a little towards the noise. It was definitely the sounds of someone breathing, but who wouldâ?¦ He was worried he would encounter some hobo, or something, but as he approached, he found himself looking upon something that he never expected to ever see. A bat girl, lying asleep on a pile of hay.

The youthful Christina had been out and about the old man's farmlands for a while, now, by means of a deal they had made. One day, while wandering out alone, she found herself to be threatened by a vicious band of killers. Naturally, she was able to flee from the fight, but not without sustaining several wounds to her silken flesh. To some people, she was meant to be nothing but a pet. To other's, she was something and someone to be feared, because she was not of the 'normal' people. It mattered not that she had the mind of a human, and the heart of a one. It was all based on outer appearance. Therefore, her dark-gray, nearly black fur-covered body did not count.

Anyhow, to the agreement. Christina ended up stumbling upon the farm upon being wounded, and had ended up weakly concealing herself within the dust-covered barn. However, she was found the next morning by an older gentlemen, who greeted her with sincerity, oddly enough. She was an oddity to him, but in a good way. Like an exotic curio, that just so happened to be hiding within his hay loft until her wounds were healed. And considering that the light hurt her eyes, she would only be seen within the darkness. Therefore, he would offer her shelter, and even food, in exchange for the protection of his farm from intruders in the nights to come.

It had not yet reached her ears, yet, that he had passed away. However, it could be assumed that such would be realized soon enough, when no food came, and no gentle touches graced her fur for providing a good service. The bat lacked trust in any other humans, for they were cruel to her. Even now, the patches of fur missing from where she had been hurt were obvious, the cover growing slowly back over the injured skin.

Daniel didn't really know what to make of the strange creature that slept before him. He had never seen, even heard of anything like her before, her slender body covered with dark gray fur. His grandfather had never mentioned this...although, he had grown distant from the family in the past few years. Maybe he hadn't even...known of this creature. But what should he do? Shoo her away? Call for some animal control? Leave her be? The wasn't hurting anyone, just sleeping. But he wouldn't be able to sell the place with a humanoid bat living in the hayloft.

He could see where her fur had been torn, and frowned a little. Had she been attacked? By what? He reached over and took a wooden pole, holding it by the end and gently nudging the creature's arm, afraid that if it woke, it could attack him, and he wanted to have something to defend himself with, just in case.

Though Christina normally wasn't a threatening creature, though her appearance could seem like such, she still did not like humans. Though she may be partially one herself, that partial piece mattered little to her. Plus, she never knew that the old mad had a grandson. Therefore, the male currently prodding her body was an intruder, a flesh-covered foreigner.

Her eyes would open slowly, blinking in the dim lighting of the place. It did not bother her much, but were she to be caught within the sunlight, she would go metaphorically blind. Quick to examine the male who had woken her so, Christina quickly concluded that he shouldn't be here, and she would make sure of it. Her deep-gray wings would reveal themselves menacingly behind her slender form, her claws now extending from her feet, and her hands. "Whoever you are, get out of here. You don't belong here." Her voice was strong, and true, yet she did not advance towards him. Perhaps, the fact that he was holding a 'weapon' kept her in her place.

He took a step back when the creature woke, his grip tightening slightly on the wooden pole. He didn't know if she was a threat or not, but as her claws extended and her wings unfurled, his opinion on her was quickly slipping towards 'hostile'. However, that didn't prepare him for when she opened her mouth and spoke to him, in perfect, unbroken English. He almost dropped the pole in surprise. For a second, he thought someone had snuck up behind him and was talking, but a quick glance showed that only him and her were in the hayloft.

"Jesus, you can talk?!" He questioned, his expression partially dumbstruck. But when he realized that she was still a threat, he took another step back. Didn't belong here? Did she mean the barn or the farm? Technically, they both belonged to him anyway - she was the one that didn't belong. "Look, I don't know what you are..." He said, pausing as his mouth felt suddenly dry, "But I'm...not going to hurt you." He didn't know if those words held any truth, it would all come down to if she attacked him or not, "This is my farm, I'm just checking it out..."

He was your stereotypical human male, already. Yes, she could talk. Before she had wound up here, she did have a family and such. She was a learned individual, just one with circumstances that were different than that of your normal human. Her dark gray eyes would watch him somewhat angrily when he said this, her ears erect and at attention as she watched him move back and drop what he was holding.

And if he wasn't going to hurt her, then why was he coming at her with a pole? Either he was another one, who was deathly afraid of her, or he wanted to do harm to her. Either way, it didn't stop her from questioning him, her body rising out a bit more from within the hay. "Where is the old man?" Christina asked with ease, still looking at him as though she were ready to pounce at any moment.

Daniel blinked when she mentioned the 'old man', so he had known about her... "My grandfather..." She must not have known what had happened... "He passed away... a few weeks ago." He paused, looking at her. "I'm sorry." He decided to give the strange creature the benefit of the doubt. She had not attacked him, even though she appeared ready to. "I'm going to set the pole down now. I'm not going to hurt you..." He spoke calmly, taking the pole into one hand and holding it out in front of him, a gesture that would have made attacking impossible.

He let go of the pole and let it drop to the floor of the hayloft. "Okay."

It saddened her a bit, to hear that the one who'd taken care of her for a while now had passed on. And when he would let the pole fall to the ground, she would settle her fur-covered form back into the hay, the warmth welcoming her as she did so. "You're his blood, then?" She asked gently, taking this into consideration before speaking again. "Not too long ago, I was wounded pretty badly by a group of ignorant beings, and I was able to get to this place for shelter. Your grandfather found me here, and instead of killing me, helped me with what he could. In exchange, I'd protect his lands while I rested here."

However, it now seemed as though her job was over.

Daniel watched as the strange creature settled back into the pile of hay on which she slept. It would make sense that she didn't hang upside-down like a normal bat, she was too large for such a feat. He remained standing as she continued talking to him, seemingly satisfied with his words of not harming her. "He never mentioned you before...although...I guess that would make sense that he didn't." He said to her, crouching down a little. Maybe she was the reason his grandfather had given him the farm in the first place... He doubted anyone else in the family would have given her a chance to talk, considering how even himself had been ready to attack her.

Now he had to decide. Sell the farm and the only home that this creature - one who he hand only met moments before - had, or learn how to run it and let her live here with him. "How much did Grandfather teach you about running this place?"

She could hang upside down, yes. Actually, she rather enjoyed it, but the barn wasn't exactly the best place for it. She was used to warm, dark places, and this farm could dip into chilly temperatures deep into the night. Her form was slender, her wings large enough to fully conceal her body if she found it necessary. As he would crouch down before her, her talons would retreat, her eyes watching every move of his. Those ever-sensitive hues, alerting her to everything he would do, her ears still erect and knowing of every breath he would take. She did not move forward or back, rather she would stay in her current place, unsure of whether to trust him or not.

"He came in here and talked to me every day or so, occasionally talking of his activities around the place." She would respond, catching his unique scent on the air as she did so.

Daniel sighed slightly, "Alright..." He looked back at her, looking into those strange eyes. "I can't sell the farm knowing that it would harm you, but I don't know how to run a place like this...if you could help me, you'd be welcome to stay for as long as you like." He told her, looking up at some of the soft rays of sunlight that filtered through some small gaps in the roof. "I'm disturbing your sleep." He said, just realizing that now. He stood to his feet and groaned a little. "I will let you get some rest while I try to figure things out. If you're interested in my offer...I'll be waiting on the porch this evening..."

He scratched his fingers through his hair before returning to the ladder leading down from the hayloft. He stole one last look at her, before climbing down to the ground and leaving the barn, closing the door behind him.

He leaned against the side of the barn, rubbing his forehead with his fingers. He had a humanoid bat living in the hayloft of his inherited farm. He couldn't sell it, she'd have nowhere to go, but he couldn't run the farm by himself! His only skill with gardening was a hydroponic one he had gotten for a gift, and that pretty much grew itself. He didn't know if she would take him up on the offer of helping him run the farm, if she even could.

He sighed and shook his head, walking towards the farmhouse to grab a beer. He needed one right now...

Christina would sigh gently, as the male would leave her be. She knew little of what exactly went on around here, other than what the old man had told her during their talks. Sure, she was willing to learn...Her body able to hold up to more than the male's, theoretically. Laying back down within the hay, she would curl up, letting out a soft yawn as she thought over all of this. Now that the old man was done, her debt was sort of repaid, wasn't it? But this boy was his blood, and where else did she really have to go now, that she wouldn't simply be hunter or otherwise?

Into the evening, the youthful figure would rest, until her slumber would be abruptly disturbed. In the distance, on the outer ends of the farmlands, the sounds of unfamiliar footsteps would grace her ears. Naturally, she would leave her place just as the sun would disappear, and would find out what was going on.

Taking to the trees, as the outer edges of the farmlands seemed to be surrounded by a sort of forest, Christina would fly with ease until she spotted who seemed to be trying to slink their ways into the grounds. As much as she normally wasn't a violent person, she was able to scare the intruders away, but not without sustaining another wound to her still-healing body.

One of the men would cut dangerously at her right wing, impairing her to fly properly until it healed. Therefore, once they were gone, she would head back to the farm by foot, perhaps even past the gaze of the male. The scent of blood heavy on the wind, Christina would sigh, her feet clawing at the ground as she went along.

Daniel went through the afternoon quietly, not disturbing the bat girl throughout the afternoon. He finished his inspections of the farm...even though he didn't know why he did. Making himself a quick supper, he walked outside and sat down on the porch, waiting to see if she would come and talk to him. Soon, the sun sank low on the horizon, and he briefly heard the faint flapping of wings, before the sound faded.

He looked around for her, for several minutes, but he did not see her. Maybe...maybe she had decided to leave after all. He stepped off the porch, looked around once more, before he shrugged and walked back inside. He fixed himself a cup of coffee, sitting down at the table and drinking it, looking over a large stack of paperwork. Picking up a pen, he began to look over the forms, signing his name where required.

Suddenly, the motion-activated light on the porch snapped on, and Daniel looked up. He stood from the table and walked over to the window, seeing the bat girl walking past the house on the way to the barn. While he could not smell the blood, he could see it well enough. He quickly walked over to the door and opened it. "Hey!" He called over to her. "What happened? Are you alright?"

Christina did not get a chance to conceal herself within the barn before the male had spotted her. Her dark eyes would settle upon his form for only a few moments, before moving back into the direction she was going. Though she still walked as strongly as before, considerable damage had been done to her wing, the other wrapping itself partially about her body as though cradling her form.

"I'm fine." She would call back to him, finally slipping back into the barn. However, she would not make it too terribly far. It didn't help much that she hadn't been fed, or cared for in a descent while now. Therefore, if the male would enter the barn then he would see her form to a knee upon the ground, those fierce claws digging threateningly into the dirt. It was things like this that made her hate the pure-blood human race even more.

He stepped off the porch as she ducked into the barn, frowning. He looked at the ground where she had walked, at the spots where blood had fallen from her form to the ground below. He shook his head. She wasn't fine. He didn't like the idea of walking into the barn when he could barely see, but he at least wanted to make sure she was okay. He walked over to the barn and stood by the door, looking with widened eyes at her kneeling form. He could see the gash in the membrane of her wing. No doubt she could sense him behind her.

"Look, you're hurt. At least come inside and let me take a look." He said. He was stubborn, almost as stubborn as his grandfather. He swallowed nervously when he saw her claws digging into the floor of the barn, knowing what they could probably do to skin if she wanted.

Christina would turn her head, put only a bit, those dark silken locks falling a bit around the edges of her face as she did so. Nodding slightly, she would push herself upwards a bit, back onto her feet. He really was just like his grandfather, for he had the same attitude when it came to her and her health. The male could have easily been torn to shreds, considering she could see him within the darkness, and all he could catch of her was the occasional glimmer within her deep hues. However, she was hurt indeed, and now may not be the time for her to be stubborn.

Her steps became a bit easier, now, as she would push gently past the male out of the barn, heading back towards his home. As she would walk, and the breeze would caress her soft fur, her wings would spread out as if on their own, wanting to take her with them. However, the pain alone caused her body to be set on fire, as she would resist the urge.

Daniel's eyes widened as she looked back at him with those darkened orbs, unsure if she was going to attack him or not. But he sighed in relief as she nodded and walked towards the house. He was going to offer her some help in walking, but she pushed past him and continued on her own. He wasn't the only one who was stubborn, it seemed. He followed her, watching as she tried to keep her wings from spreading, but he stepped past her and held the door open for her, letting her into the house.

"Alright, just sit down over there and I'll get some paper towels..." He told her, walking over to the sink and grabbing the roll. Stopping the bleeding would be the best way to start treating it, but he wasn't sure what he could do.

She was a proud creature, and that was all there was to the situation. One may call it stubbornness, but she would simply call it having pride before the fall. When she'd finally gotten inside, she would sit herself gingerly down where he had indicated for her, trying not to make a mess of everything. While the one wing cradled her body still, the other one bent and withered in utter pain, her claws still revealed to him in all their glory.

He walked around behind her with a few paper towels in his hands. He frowned looking at the wound. He saw her extended claws, not wanting to find out the damage they could do. "Alright...this might hurt..." He said, reaching over to gingerly lift her wounded wing and place the paper towels around the cut. They quickly darkened red where they touched the cut, and he placed more on top, trying to keep the towels pinched against the wound. He bit his lip, using his other hand to firmly hold her wing in place, in case it tried to jerk back in reflex. He needed the bleeding to slow, and her moving it would only aggravate the wound further.

Seeing the look upon his face, and the towels within his hands, she knew that he intended on trying to fix her up. Therefore, she would try to ease his fear of her just a bit by bringing her claws back in, seeing as their being extended seemed to freak him out. When he would take her wing into his own, it would try to pull itself instinctively back into her form. She would, however, try and keep it within his hands, even if his pinches may be hurting her. Christina would wince slightly, a sharp breath drawing in past her lips as he hit a particularly sore spot upon her. Yet, she kept still, trying to shrug the pain off as though it didn't exist.

Daniel could feel her attempts to keep her wing extended and tried to stop the bleeding fast, so she could at least be more comfortable. As awkward as it was to try and talk at a time like this, he figured that if she talked, she might be able to keep her mind of the pain. "So do you have a name?" He asked her, slowly letting go of the wad of paper towels to see if it stayed. His other hand still held firm to her wing, in case they didn't stay put...but they held... He'd wait until the blood clotted some more, before he remove them, just to make sure the cut would stay closed until she could tell him what else he needed to do.

"Well...it'll hold for now, but I'd suggest waiting a little bit before you move them...can I get you something to eat while I'm up?" He asked her, walking over towards the fridge.

She could tell that he was trying to keep her calm and help her out, and his attempts would slowly work, her body easing up and her wings acting more flexibly, now. "Christina." She said easily, speaking the common name that the old man had given her. She never really had a name, before, nor did she need one. Species like her were only able to reproduce around once year, at most. Therefore, it's not like she had a whole bunch of brothers and sisters to worry about, or something. Or even parents, for that matter.

"You don't need to get me anything..." She said, closing her eyes and resting her head. Although, she was pretty hungry. The scent of fruit from the fridge might just get her attention, were he to offer.

"Christina..." He repeated softly. It was a pretty name, and one that...strangely seemed to fit her. "My name is Daniel." Opening the fridge, he bent down to rummage through the cabinets. "You sure? We've got plenty of stuff in here. Ham, steak, some fruit, milk..." He pulled out the steak from the fridge, unwrapping the Saran Wrap that covered it and setting the plate on the counter - that was something he wanted to eat.

He looked over at Christina, seeing her resting her head on the table. "You're welcome to stay in here tonight if you'd like..." He spoke before he even realized the words were out of his mouth. He looked at her in surprise of himself.

She nodded gently, as she heard him speak his name. It was a good, strong name, that also seeped to fit him as well. When he mentioned the fruit within the fridge, it was as though she could already taste it...Her eyes lighting up just a bit at the thought alone. However, she was not about to ask. It was very unlike her. And she was already imposing by being here, in the first place.

"That's nice of you, but even your grandfather didn't let me stay in the house." She said, noticing the look. Seems like he really didn't want her there, either.

He looked back to the fridge, trying to figure out why he had spoken like that. Shrugging. he reached in and grabbed an orange, peeling it and setting it on a plate. "Alright, I'll make sure not to bother you when you're sleeping from now on." He said to her, throwing the plate with his steak in the microwave while walking over the place the orange down before her. He gathered up the papers and set them aside to clear off the table, sitting down across from her. He looked at her curiously, at her dark eyes and the color of her fur.

"So...do you..."

How would he word this properly. "What kind of bat did you...originate from?"

Back
Top Bottom