Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Cuttlefish Monitor (concluded)

PsionicCuttlefish

Supernova
==The Prelude==
As all my RP partners know, I have a lot of trouble getting replies out on any decent timetable, and have had this trouble for years now. There is no good reason for this. When I first started here on BMR, I could manage at least one reply every day, usually more than one. I was quick and responsive, and pleased with myself. And it wasn't just BMR, I was getting a lot of things done that made me happy. For several years now however, it's been the same; I have plenty of time, I do not have hardships blocking me, I just...don't do it. And it's not just with RPs here, it's everything I try to do. My partners here have almost always been kind, understanding, and patient...and, unfortunately, that is the opposite of what I need. I am not happy with myself, I know I can do better. A few days ago, things came to a head and rocked me pretty hard. Something has to change.

==The Problem==
My issue is that I am (and have been for years now) basically locked up in my own head, without anything to keep enough of an eye on me. I don't have anything external imposing a sufficient amount of structure upon me, which is what I need in order to function well. Inside my head, alone, I can't manage myself. But pushing things outside of my head works to help keep me from chronically sinking into the same old mental quicksand. Writing things down for myself is a step in the right direction, but it's not enough. Other people's eyes on me help more. As mentioned, things went particularly badly recently because of my actions (or inactions) and something has to change, so...I am trying something new.

==The Position==
For people on this site who are reasonable and empathetic, it is commonly understood that RP is ultimately a low priority when it comes to competing life interests, and that no one deserves a reply from anyone else on any schedule. Demanding such of another person is unconscionable and egregiously entitled. RP is indeed still a low priority for me as well when compared against competing life interests, but that's just it; most of the time, I don't have other life interests competing with RP time that I want to spend but just have trouble making myself do. I want to be held to a schedule. I want to be held accountable. And I am doing this with RPs because, one, I know historically with myself that when I am in a "getting stuff done" groove on any one thing, it often energizes me for everything else (really, RPs have been a great indicator for me; if I'm getting a lot of RPs done, I'm getting a lot of other stuff done also), and two, this is where I do have other people who know what I'm up to and who can see me...if I put myself out there to be seen.

==The Plan==
Starting Monday, I will be implementing a system to help hold myself accountable for RPs. It will likely consist of a partial time-schedule posted here for myself (exact details to be determined then), but the most important facet is this; I will put a link to this thread in my signature so all my partners can easily see it. I will resolve to make one post in this thread every evening before I turn in. It does not have to be long, it need only be a sentence. It would take me less than a minute to do, a minute that can be spared no matter what is happening. In each of these single-sentence posts, I will say but one thing; I got at least one RP reply out in the day, or why I did not make any RP replies that day. The reason need not be involved, either it is a legitimate and acceptable RL event or...it was me just not getting on with it. Publically exposing this will help motivate me to keep it from happening. In this way, I can have something of a monitor on me, an eye over my shoulder to keep me focused. And if I don't make even a single sentence post here, I implore my partners (or, well...anyone at all really) to badger me with messages as to why I did not do that simple, most minimal thing. (The only acceptable excuse would be literally not having internet access)

Let's see how it goes. Worst case, it doesn't work and I just keep shambling on as I am. Best case, it does work...and maybe I get some of my old energy back.

SCHEDULE:
EDIT: ('20/9/03)
As of right now, there is no particular reason I shouldn't have at -least- one post out EACH day of the week. While some days may have enough going on that I legitimately can't make a post, such occurrences are irregular. A post a day. That's what I need to shoot for right now.

('20/8/03)
Okay, so, starting off with just a basic schedule of my current typical week.
Monday: Should have some posting time
Tuesday: RL stuff
Wednesday: Should have some posting time
Thursday: RL stuff
Friday: Should have some posting time
Saturday: Should have some posting time
Sunday: RL stuff

For Tuesdays, Thursdays, and sundays, I actually do have other engagements and important things I must work on first, and RP posting on those days is unlikely...but, that does NOT mean I will NOT post -here- in the evenings at least. Because while unlikely, it is -possible- sometimes, if I finish everything I do need to do early enough, that I can still get a post out on these days. If I do that, and I have -time- for RP posting afterwards, but don't do it, then that is indeed something I need to note here for myself. If I indeed don't have time for RP posts, then I will still drop a note here saying so for that day.

Last edited:
Saturday '21/7/24 report: FINALLY managed to get a post out today. Was later in the day than it should have been, although not too terrible...other than the fact that it took me THE WHOLE WEEK to get to it >_< Still need to catch up.

Sunday '21/7/25 report: While today wasn't completely free as pretty much this whole week has been (and why it is so HORRIBLE that I got NOTHING done)...I still had time enough to get a post out if I had tried. Aaarrgh. >_<

Monday '21/7/26 report: AAAUUUGGH. No no no, I cannot fuck up this week like I did last week...I cannot...fuuuuuck....

Tuesday '21/7/27 report: Urgh. Didn't have the whole day free to make a post, but I still -did- have plenty of time to do so, and didn't. >_< GHAAAAAAHGHHHH.

Wednesday '21/7/28 argh...there were a few periods where I could have made a post today, but most of it I was waiting on something I was expecting to happen so couldn't focus on writing a post, but...I still had some time before that if I had gotten moving fast enough. Argh.

Thursday '21/7/29 report: Blargh. While I was busy for much of today again, I still -had- time I could have gotten a post in, if I had gotten moving fast enough. I am getting so fucking sick of being like this...

Friday '21/7/30 report: Legitimately did not have time for a post today.

....which is why IT IS SO BAD THAT I AM ALREADY SO MANY DAYS BEHIND AAAARRRGH.

...and of course I frakking forget a report day. Ugh.

LATE Saturday '21/7/31 report: I actually did manage to get a post out that day! And at a reasonable time, too! Was happy about that, although I still have more waiting to catch up on, which is why...

Sunday '21/8/1 report: it is fucking awful that I DIDN'T POST TODAY WHEN I COULD HAVE AAARGH.

Monday '21/8/2 report: BLUUGGHH. So, while I had stuff scheduled for the second half of the day, I had plenty of time in the first half to make a post, and I didn't. And then I unexpectedly had time in the second half of the day due to the thing I was expecting not happening. AND I STILL DIDN'T MAKE A POST. I at least got -started- on one, but NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Wednesday '21/8/4 report: FINALLY. Got a post out today. Felt so much better while I was actually writing it. Started it way later than I should have, though, and I still have more to catch up on. Rrrrrgh, I want to write, I enjoy writing, I feel good when I am writing. My brain just doesn't cooperating with the getting started. >_<

Last edited:
Thursday '21/8/5 report: DID manage to get a post out today! Good for that! Although it VERY nearly wasn't, I got to post WAY too long and too late in the evening. That's not so good. But still managed a post out.

Friday '21/8/6 report: Ergh...not sure how to count this one. I technically had plenty of time to post today...but had a bunch of little spread-out interruptions, things that had my mind focused elsewhere. Still, if I had actually plunked down and tried, I almost certainly could have still gotten a post out...yeah, I messed up today as well. >_<

Sunday '21/8/8 report: Okay. managed a post out today. Was a little bit later than it maybe should have been, but not too bad. At least I did get it out. However, -tomorrow-, I am not likely to actually have any good opportunities to post.

Monday '21/8/9 report: And indeed, did not actually have a chance to post today. (but UGGGHHH still, the two weeks prior this, I have been handling awfully, I should be so much more caught up now than I am >_< )

Wednesday '21/8/11 report: Was able to get a post out today, as well. A little bit later than it could have been, but not too bad. Still gotta keep going.

Thursday '21/8/12 report: And also managed to do a post today. Well, technically, it hasn't been sent yet, but that's because halfway through writing it I realized I had to ask an OOC question before I could send it...but the post is basically finished and I can send it as soon as I have the answer I need, so I can move on to the next RP even if it's not sent yet and for that I count that as a post done. Three posts in a row...this week is no different from any other, but I'm finally able to pull myself back together, it seems? This is why I'm so frustrated when I don't make posts, because I know I can and there's nothing materially stopping me...nothing but my own head. >_<

Friday '21/8/13 report: I was busy for much of the day, but, I had time in the evening to make a post. I was planning to make a post. I settled in to make a post. I tried to make a post. I did not make a post. FUUUUUUUCCKKK.

Saturday '21/8/14 report: Did manage to get a post out today, the one I -should- have gotten out -yesterday-...but, still did manage a post. So that's good.

Sunday '21/8/15 report: Fuggin' hell...I -did- get started on a post, I got it -halfway- finished, and then...I just failed to keep it going. Ugh. >_< Overall, this whole week has actually been...better than any other week recently, but still not good enough.

Monday '21/8/16 report: UUUGGGHHH. And total failure today, plenty of time to post--to FINISH the post-in-progress that I've already worked on--and I didn't. >_<

Tuesday '21/8/17 report: Managed to finish that post that I started on sunday, although a bit later than it needed to be. Also re-wrote my last post in another RP to help my partner better flow things forward, so between those two things I'd call that a full post's worth of work. Still could have done it earlier in the day though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom