Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Cuttlefish Monitor (concluded)

PsionicCuttlefish

Supernova
==The Prelude==
As all my RP partners know, I have a lot of trouble getting replies out on any decent timetable, and have had this trouble for years now. There is no good reason for this. When I first started here on BMR, I could manage at least one reply every day, usually more than one. I was quick and responsive, and pleased with myself. And it wasn't just BMR, I was getting a lot of things done that made me happy. For several years now however, it's been the same; I have plenty of time, I do not have hardships blocking me, I just...don't do it. And it's not just with RPs here, it's everything I try to do. My partners here have almost always been kind, understanding, and patient...and, unfortunately, that is the opposite of what I need. I am not happy with myself, I know I can do better. A few days ago, things came to a head and rocked me pretty hard. Something has to change.

==The Problem==
My issue is that I am (and have been for years now) basically locked up in my own head, without anything to keep enough of an eye on me. I don't have anything external imposing a sufficient amount of structure upon me, which is what I need in order to function well. Inside my head, alone, I can't manage myself. But pushing things outside of my head works to help keep me from chronically sinking into the same old mental quicksand. Writing things down for myself is a step in the right direction, but it's not enough. Other people's eyes on me help more. As mentioned, things went particularly badly recently because of my actions (or inactions) and something has to change, so...I am trying something new.

==The Position==
For people on this site who are reasonable and empathetic, it is commonly understood that RP is ultimately a low priority when it comes to competing life interests, and that no one deserves a reply from anyone else on any schedule. Demanding such of another person is unconscionable and egregiously entitled. RP is indeed still a low priority for me as well when compared against competing life interests, but that's just it; most of the time, I don't have other life interests competing with RP time that I want to spend but just have trouble making myself do. I want to be held to a schedule. I want to be held accountable. And I am doing this with RPs because, one, I know historically with myself that when I am in a "getting stuff done" groove on any one thing, it often energizes me for everything else (really, RPs have been a great indicator for me; if I'm getting a lot of RPs done, I'm getting a lot of other stuff done also), and two, this is where I do have other people who know what I'm up to and who can see me...if I put myself out there to be seen.

==The Plan==
Starting Monday, I will be implementing a system to help hold myself accountable for RPs. It will likely consist of a partial time-schedule posted here for myself (exact details to be determined then), but the most important facet is this; I will put a link to this thread in my signature so all my partners can easily see it. I will resolve to make one post in this thread every evening before I turn in. It does not have to be long, it need only be a sentence. It would take me less than a minute to do, a minute that can be spared no matter what is happening. In each of these single-sentence posts, I will say but one thing; I got at least one RP reply out in the day, or why I did not make any RP replies that day. The reason need not be involved, either it is a legitimate and acceptable RL event or...it was me just not getting on with it. Publically exposing this will help motivate me to keep it from happening. In this way, I can have something of a monitor on me, an eye over my shoulder to keep me focused. And if I don't make even a single sentence post here, I implore my partners (or, well...anyone at all really) to badger me with messages as to why I did not do that simple, most minimal thing. (The only acceptable excuse would be literally not having internet access)

Let's see how it goes. Worst case, it doesn't work and I just keep shambling on as I am. Best case, it does work...and maybe I get some of my old energy back.

SCHEDULE:
EDIT: ('20/9/03)
As of right now, there is no particular reason I shouldn't have at -least- one post out EACH day of the week. While some days may have enough going on that I legitimately can't make a post, such occurrences are irregular. A post a day. That's what I need to shoot for right now.

('20/8/03)
Okay, so, starting off with just a basic schedule of my current typical week.
Monday: Should have some posting time
Tuesday: RL stuff
Wednesday: Should have some posting time
Thursday: RL stuff
Friday: Should have some posting time
Saturday: Should have some posting time
Sunday: RL stuff

For Tuesdays, Thursdays, and sundays, I actually do have other engagements and important things I must work on first, and RP posting on those days is unlikely...but, that does NOT mean I will NOT post -here- in the evenings at least. Because while unlikely, it is -possible- sometimes, if I finish everything I do need to do early enough, that I can still get a post out on these days. If I do that, and I have -time- for RP posting afterwards, but don't do it, then that is indeed something I need to note here for myself. If I indeed don't have time for RP posts, then I will still drop a note here saying so for that day.

Last edited:
Thursday '21/8/19 report: Managed a post out today. Was a little later than it should have been -almost- didn't make it, but did manage it.

Still...it actually did make me think about how I'm still unhappy with myself. Because when I -am- writing, it's easy. Once my fingers are pressing down keys on the keyboard, things come just fine, even long detailed posts. When I am actually -doing- it, it's -easy-, and I -enjoy- it. Which just makes me more frustrated with myself how I just keep having so much trouble getting myself to -start- in the first place. >_< I -know- I can do SO much better, but it's a massive struggle just to attempt a bare minimum of one post a day, which I haven't been succeeding at. *sigh*

But at least for today I did get a post out.

GAH, I forgot to post on Friday!

VERY LATE Friday '21/8/20 report: I actually did manage to get out a post that day, though, it was one that was kind of already written...but even if I had to write it from scratch, once I had actually gotten working on it, I probably would have managed.

Saturday '21/8/21 report: Today, however....while I was a bit busy today, there was -an- opportunity in which I could have written a post...and I didn't take it. >_<

Monday '21/8/23 report: Today was...weird. There wasn't really any good time to make any posts, so, oh well. That said, tomorrow...I should finally, FINALLY, be getting back what I need to be -functional- again. Or at least begin to. Might take a couple weeks to settle in properly.

Tuesday '21/8/24 report: Finally back to what I need to hopefully be functional again, though yeah, it's gonna take some adjustment. Still, managed to get a post out today. Bit later than it could have been, but got it out.

Wednesday '21/8/25 report: Bleh. I had time early in the day to make a post, but I didn't get moving fast enough on it. Argh.

Thursday '21/8/26 report: Like Tuesday, today was later than it should have been, but, managed to get a post out at least.

Monday '21/8/30 report: And COMPLETELY fucked up almost the -entire- day today, had more than enough time to do a post and never got to it >_<

Tuesday '21/8/31 report: Got a post out today. Was quite late in the day, but didn't actually have any opportunity to do so sooner, so, that's okay. Yay post out.

Wednesday '21/9/1 report: And managed a post out today as well, and at a relatively reasonable time, too! Good for that.

Thursday '21/9/2 report: Managed to get a post out today, at a somewhat early time...but, only because something else that was -supposed- to happen today didn't, leaving me with more time than expected. I had at least started in the time I normally would have had, and probably could have finished in the evening tonight if things had gone normally, but...still would have been better if I had actually finished in the proper time it should have been. But still, post out, yay.

Friday '21/9/3 report: Not only did I manage a post today, I -also- was able to work on something else I've been unable to work on for all this time because I couldn't function. And...that makes four successful days in a row now! Feeling better about that!

LATE Saturday '21/9/4 report: fuck how did I forget Saturday? I thought for SURE i had made a report yesterday....ugh. Well, I -did- get a post out yesterday, and not only that, I also got more work on the very same thing as Friday. So that's five successful days in a row! Unfortunately...

Sunday '21/9/5 report: I fucked up today. >.< Had plenty of time to make a post and I didn't, because I let myself get too distracted.

dammit and I actually had in mind to report last night, then totally forgot to do it.

LATE Monday '21/9/6 report: and double dammit, I -totally- fucked yesterday up and got almost NOTHING done at ALL that I needed to do, let alone making an RP post. AAARRRGGGHHHH.

FUCK what is going on the past two days? I had my mind ready to go for report and then just forgot to do it before I got in bed...but...

late Tuesday '21/9/7 report: And yesterday...I didn't really have -much- time to make a post, I -probably- could have if I had really tried, but the big reason I didn't have much time at all was BECAUSE of me screwing up Monday so badly...bluuggg...

Wednesday '21/9/8 report: no no no NO NO. I was doing so good last week! Why am I fucking up so much this week?! Fuuuuuck!

Thursday '21/9/9 report: Managed to get a post out today. And I am so fucking frustrated with myself. Because the post literally took just like, half an hour. I just sat down and DID it. It was EASY, and FUN, I really did enjoy writing it, once I actually just FUCKING DO IT. And the only reason I did it was because I didn't want to see a fifth failed mark in a row. But if that is enough to get me going, then not wanting to see even ONE failed mark should be enough to get me going! Gah!! *sigh* But at least I did get a post out today.

Friday '21/9/10 report: And today I legitimately was too busy to make a post. Which is again why it is so important that I actually DO post when I have the CHANCE. Argh.

Monday '21/9/13 report: ARGH, and almost -totally- fucked up today, too! Gaaahhhh, I thought having a structured routine again at last would help better than this...

Back
Top Bottom