Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Superheroes Meet Fairy Tales - Avengers Grimm, anyone? (Interest Check)

Mathim

Star

That title probably sounds pretty strange, but believe it or not, it's totally a thing. Also probably as unbelievable, this idea was produced by the mockbuster factory The Asylum. But like a broken clock being right twice a day, this particular production of theirs wasn't half bad, and while it would have been far, far superior as a series rather than a single film, it did give me oodles of ideas and also makes for quite a damn good concept to do a group game around.

To give some context, the characters in the story each have an ability or talent inspired by the story they're from. The evil Rumplestiltskin has great power through the act of making deals with people and when they inevitably can't hold up their end of the bargain, they become his thralls. Snow White, as her first name implies, has the ability to generate and manipulate ice, creating and wielding ice daggers as weapons. Sleeping Beauty can shoot clouds of sleeping dust from her palms. Rapunzel's hair is tied to a heavy ball so she has a flail weapon everywhere she goes. Red Riding Hood is an experienced survivor and hunter from the wilds. You get the idea by this point, I'm sure.

While the film takes place in the 'real' world, where the characters chase Rumplestiltskin through a mirror as he's attempting to conquer more worlds, I think this would be best taking place in a united fairy tale universe where characters from all worldwide myths are welcome, like Sun Wukong the Monkey King, Anansi the Spider, Urashima Taro, and others who aren't just of European origin and its associated popularity. I'd like to try and draw the line at characters that are celestial gods (the Greek and Norse pantheon, for instance) since they're just that powerful, but others, if we limit them in reasonable ways, should be just fine.

So, that being said, the most interesting part of this would likely be coming up with a power set to liven up existing characters who may not have any, and how it changes their backstory, even their alignment, since what fun would this be if a good character in a story had to stay good, or a bad one stay bad? Swapping out sex, gender identity and orientation is also welcomed and encouraged just to keep things interesting, as well as relationships that they may have with characters from other stories; two characters from the same story who are supposed to meet might never have, if players choose the two of them to play, for example.

The overarching plot I would put forward is that Rumplestiltskin, the archvillain of the story, has begun consolidating his power and Snow White gathers a council of powerful warriors to prepare to defend their lands from evil using the magic mirror to open other mirrors as gateways to travel to her sanctuary if they are deemed worthy of joining the fight.

If anyone is interested in this insanity, I'll put up character profile sample submission sheets and maybe we can get something started? I had a hard time being successful with this on Elliquiy so it might turn out not so lucky here either but I wanted to give it a try since it's been almost a year since I last attempted it.

I'm typing up MC, now. @PC-98 do you want to play something more sexy, more combat-oriented, or maybe like a healer type?

Just letting you know - stepping out for a whisky and cigar on the back porch, so I may be on my phone or I may ghost for a half hour.

I'm not ignoring y'all, really.

I'm typing up MC, now. @PC-98 do you want to play something more sexy, more combat-oriented, or maybe like a healer type?

I'd be up for playing a sexy character, either female or NB and I could go for either combat-oriented athletic tough chick or cute healer.

@PC-98 what about a Puss in Boots character who was a swashbuckler with some healing properties? I'm taking some libertes here, but she could have healed a powerful Fae king and been granted the magical boots that give her super jumping, running, and ass- kicking abilities. Her hat could be used as a weapon that returns to her hands, and she's an expert with anything that has a blade on it.

Here's a draft of my character. I'll also modify according to how we set up the story, if necessary.

Will Cholena
Tale of Origin:
Native American legend of the Rainbow Crow
Alignment: Neutral Good

Special Abilities: Natural form is a multi-colored crow the size of an eagle. Can assume human form. Fire breath.

Skills:
  • Inherent: flight (as a crow), excellent eyesight, problem-solving
  • Human: survival skills, first-aid, hand-to-hand combat, ax fighting
Weaknesses:
  • Not adept at technology.
  • Using too much of his fire magic or getting burned will change him into his darker self for a while. Not evil, but a selfish, abrasive antihero type.
  • Too altruistic.
  • Curious to the point of it being a personality flaw.
Backstory: Rainbow Crow is a benevolent animal spirit. In modern times, he's found that taking human form is better for interacting and helping humanity. He isn't naturally combat-oriented, but it's often a need when protecting the world from other supernaturals. Will's an old soul with a youthful and curious disposition, so he seems younger than he is. When not heroing, Crow is involved in all sorts of activism, from nature causes to the underprivileged.
Characteristic Preference: male, cis, gay, not kinky but aims to make others happy in all things

Appearance: In his human form, Crow appears as a handsome, muscular, Native American male in his mid-20s. Will is cheerful, which is accentuated by his iridescent multi-colored hair that is an expression of his bird plumage.
Height: 6'/ 1.83 m
Weight: 185#/83.9 kg.

Last edited:
I'd be up for playing a sexy character, either female or NB and I could go for either combat-oriented athletic tough chick or cute healer.

This one is obscure, but I found a girl who fights: Tatterhood

I could see this character shapeshifting human forms, maybe even gender/sex if you want to go NB. She could also perhaps change herself into different impressions of herself. Accentuate her physicality to fight, accentuate her charm and beauty to manipulate someone. Like, enhance and diminish her qualities to suit the situation.

If we're talking healer, my idea for that was Goldilocks, whose ability was based around the concept in physics, the 'Goldilocks Zone', basically to make something revert to its balanced state. Bleeding too much? She'll make it just right! Enemy too physically powerful? If she can get her hand on them, she'll make their power decrease until it's just right!
Also, she'd have a bear as a familiar, one she can ride, have aid her in combat and even merge with if she needs to get rowdy herself.
I've got so many of these.

If we're talking healer, my idea for that was Goldilocks, whose ability was based around the concept in physics, the 'Goldilocks Zone', basically to make something revert to its balanced state. Bleeding too much? She'll make it just right! Enemy too physically powerful? If she can get her hand on them, she'll make their power decrease until it's just right!
Also, she'd have a bear as a familiar, one she can ride, have aid her in combat and even merge with if she needs to get rowdy herself.
I've got so many of these.

THAT is a cool interpretation. I like it!

You should hear what I have in mind for Rapunzel, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Hansel and Gretel.

I like to have at least five committed characters before I get to that stage. We have 3, and including myself, at least 1, but I'm hoping someone will lay claim to Snow White or other leadership role on the heroes' side or I'll have to make a male interpretation of Snow and I'm not super keen on doing that if I can help it. If someone else wanted to, though, I'm fine with that.

Maybe posting some of your ideas might inspire someone browsing to join up? :giggle:

@Mathim , I'll trade you a Male Snow White for a Rumblestiltskin. Would that work?

I totally don't mind playing both sides of the field. ;)

Maybe posting some of your ideas might inspire someone browsing to join up? :giggle:
Good point. I’ll have to wait til I get home since I don’t know how to highlight stuff in my phone.

@Traveler
We have no female characters yet so I want to leave it open for at least one. Snow was always the first role filled when I did this game on Elliquiy.

Last edited:
where-are-the.jpg

Kinda dropped the ball there, let me throw out some more of my ideas:

Rapunzel
Expansion and retraction, Rapunzel's hair isn't the only enormous thing about her story. Anything that does not move of its own accord but which has the spark of life (mainly plants) can be made to increase in size at her touch, which can turn a twig into a spear or make a bush into a ladder to get her over a high wall, and other uses.

Hansel and Gretel
After pushing the witch into the oven, they realized all the curses she had inflicted on other victims were unbroken. The only way to undo them was to eat her heart, though this would result in becoming a witch too. Rather than letting Gretel be the one to endure this fate alone, Hansel also partook of the heart and they both became enchanted while breaking the curse and freeing the souls of the witch's victims. Gretel fittingly became a pyromancer, while Hansel could now consume any substance and have his skin take on their properties. He always carries a small sack of rocks with him to become stone-skinned, but prefers not to let his own metal weapons go to waste and will chomp his enemies' swords and armor when he needs to have steel-skin for added defense.

Thumbelina
Basically the Ant-Man of the fairy tale world, Thumbelina and her enchanted needle that makes her a formidable swordswoman can alter her size and that of her weapon, giving her a perfect stealth ability and enable her to ride her animal friends to whom she can communicate. Preferring to ride a hummingbird for their speed, it allows her to get around faster than a normal human on foot.

Cinderella
The evil stepmother's wickeness knew no bounds and she managed to poison the prince as he came to their home to test out the glass slipper, eradicating Cinderella's hope of escaping her wretched life. Because the fairy godmother's blessing failed to make her dream come true, Cinderella now had a new wish, to have the power to bring justice where there is none, and the fairy godmother could not refuse her this boon after what had happened. Now with a limited but still significant ability of transfiguration, Cinderella can use Bippity-Boppity-Boo as a mangic word to transform small objects into other things and command them accordingly. A handful of squirrels can be modified into a squad of soldiers, but only briefly before reverting back.

Red Riding Hood
It never reached the point where she was devoured by the wolf and had to await rescue. Granny wasn't so lucky but Red did receive a bite from the beast before escaping. Granny's witchery, which attracted the wolf's attention in the first place, prevented Red from becoming one herself but it did give her enhanced senses, especially at night, and Granny's soul lived on to become a lupine familiar for Red. If she ever needs a boost in speed or strength, she can merge with her familiar for a short duration and become the equal of any lycanthrope.

Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
It seems the witch that put the curse on the prince pulled a fast one. Rather than reverting him back to human from beast, it instead made his true love into the perfect mate for a beast, and cursed her to become beastly herself. It was not a permanent condition unlike his, however, as she could revert to her human form at will, but doing so for long causes her lover's mind to be more like that of a true feral beast, and so staying like that keeps his mind human. Finding a balance is difficult but maybe she doesn't mind so much.

Jack the Giant-Slayer (Jack and the Beanstalk)
Jack did not cut the beanstalk down, but instead tricked the giant into falling over the edge of the cloud perch atop which he dwelled. Jack was able to stay up there, and study the giant's gold, which allowed him to learn its secrets, and how things got so large to begin with. It was, in fact, the gold itself that was responsible for enlarging things, and Jack became a goldsmith, giving himself numerous piercings all over his body, which enabled him to become a giant himself at will.

Hey @Mathim @PC-98 @obieblu !

It's been about a week with no additional interest on the group RP. I'm going to withdraw my submissions for characters so I can keep a spot open for other opportunities to write. Best wishes on this one; I hope you are able to get it off the ground. The premise is a good one, and should be fun if you get the prerequisite number of characters in play.

Yeah, I'd kind of given up hope on the idea since nobody new seems to have stumbled across it with intent to make a commitment. Sad but there's no real alternative, I can never figure out why this idea doesn't get more attention.

I wonder if this might be a more opportune moment to get attention for this idea?

Yeah, I wasn't expecting much truth be told. It would have happened the first time around, I'm sure, I was just curious if anyone who hadn't been there at the time might be interested.

Would this work?

~=~=~=~=~=~
Name: Scheherazade
Fairy Tale Tradition: Arabian
Combat Archetype: Controller/Support
Powers:
  • Entrancing Presentation - No hostility can penetrate Scheherazade's web of words, captivating voice and dramatic presentation of anecdotes. When she is presenting, her targets may not attack or cause harm, no matter how violent their nature.
  • Talespinner - Scheherazade is capable of fairy tale magic so powerful it warps reality itself, allowing her to summon fairy tale characters (i.e. her allies!) to her location
  • Dramatic Boost - Any fairy tale is made better with more drama, and Scheherazade can use dramatic narration to empower other fairy tales to enhance their abilities.
Deep in the heart of the desert lived a sultan. The sultan took a wife and she was unfaithful. The sultan beat his breast in frustration, crying out at the universe, that he was condemned to live without love. And the imp known as Rumpelstilskin answered. The sultan's nights would be filled with passion, and he would never be betrayed again, if he simply agreed to the imp's deal. All he had to do was sacrifice the life of his unfaithful wife to empower the imp's magic.

It was monstrous of course, but he had been betrayed, and the imp's deal seemed so easy: Kill one unfaithful woman and then live a long and happy life with his second wife. The deed was done and the deal was struck. But what the sultan did not know, was that Rumpelstilskin had poisoned the deal with a curse. Each dawn, all the sultan's paranoia and rage over that first betrayal would return to scorch his heart into a merciless cinder. Every morning, the sultan could not help but to repeat his horrific deed, beheading his newest wife in Rumpelstilskin's evil name. Then, after a thousand nights and a thousand wives, Rumpelstilskin's evil powers had grown so vast, that only one more death was needed. One more before he would have everything his evil little heart had always wanted. And so he returned to the sultan, and encouraged him to take the daughter of his best friend as the next wife - Scheherazade.

But on their wedding night, Scheherazade regaled the sultan with a tale so vivid and exciting that it forestalled even his mighty paranoia. Rumpelstilskin was annoyed, but just one more night was not such a big deal. But then one night became another, and another and another. Until one thousand nights were done. And in the end, the sultan found that he had in fact once again fallen in love. There would be no more death, and the sultan and sultana ushered in peace and prosperity to the desert lands, causing all Rumpelstilskin's efforts to be for naught. Decades later, as the sultan lay on his death bed, the light dimming in his eyes, Scheherazde was moved to tell him one final story to fill his last moments with the joy of drama. A story of an evil imp, who threatened world after world, until a sorceress gathered a strike force to stop him. How ancient legends would be called up to foil his diabolical plans again and again.

In the morning, the sultan's attendants found him dead, relaxed smile on his features, his arm hanging limp, just shy of the stool beside the bed. On the stool sat an elaborate scroll casing, ornate runes of magic and power decorating its sides, and the caps made of sapphire and silver, much like the jewelry Scheherazade had worn. The odd script - "Epilogue: The One Thousand and Second Night" - on the casing was beyond the attendants, for they had not seen English before. Indeed, the language had not yet been invented.

The sultana was never seen again.

:D

I like it, though I'd like to know where her abilities stem from, it wasn't entirely clear; maybe a blessing from a fairy who sympathized with her and wanting to save the last victim of Rumple's scheme?

It feels like she's got some kind of summoning circle that would surround and protect her while she's calling down an enchantment, which is cool; reminds me of the psychics using their 'territory' from Yu Yu Hakusho where the person can dictate the rules within their spheres of influence. Though, I would probably limit the range of her ability to summon her companions, they shouldn't be able to be conjured from literally anywhere else in the world (that's what the magic mirrors are for), but her ability to empower them with a spun tale sounds pretty cool, like how in South Park's Imaginationland episodes, Butters was able to use his imagination to do things like summon spinach to power up Popeye.

Though, sadly, without the numbers to support a game, I don't know if we'll be able to proceed even if you submit a character sheet.

Back
Top Bottom