Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Superheroes Meet Fairy Tales - Avengers Grimm, anyone? (Interest Check)

Mathim

Star

That title probably sounds pretty strange, but believe it or not, it's totally a thing. Also probably as unbelievable, this idea was produced by the mockbuster factory The Asylum. But like a broken clock being right twice a day, this particular production of theirs wasn't half bad, and while it would have been far, far superior as a series rather than a single film, it did give me oodles of ideas and also makes for quite a damn good concept to do a group game around.

To give some context, the characters in the story each have an ability or talent inspired by the story they're from. The evil Rumplestiltskin has great power through the act of making deals with people and when they inevitably can't hold up their end of the bargain, they become his thralls. Snow White, as her first name implies, has the ability to generate and manipulate ice, creating and wielding ice daggers as weapons. Sleeping Beauty can shoot clouds of sleeping dust from her palms. Rapunzel's hair is tied to a heavy ball so she has a flail weapon everywhere she goes. Red Riding Hood is an experienced survivor and hunter from the wilds. You get the idea by this point, I'm sure.

While the film takes place in the 'real' world, where the characters chase Rumplestiltskin through a mirror as he's attempting to conquer more worlds, I think this would be best taking place in a united fairy tale universe where characters from all worldwide myths are welcome, like Sun Wukong the Monkey King, Anansi the Spider, Urashima Taro, and others who aren't just of European origin and its associated popularity. I'd like to try and draw the line at characters that are celestial gods (the Greek and Norse pantheon, for instance) since they're just that powerful, but others, if we limit them in reasonable ways, should be just fine.

So, that being said, the most interesting part of this would likely be coming up with a power set to liven up existing characters who may not have any, and how it changes their backstory, even their alignment, since what fun would this be if a good character in a story had to stay good, or a bad one stay bad? Swapping out sex, gender identity and orientation is also welcomed and encouraged just to keep things interesting, as well as relationships that they may have with characters from other stories; two characters from the same story who are supposed to meet might never have, if players choose the two of them to play, for example.

The overarching plot I would put forward is that Rumplestiltskin, the archvillain of the story, has begun consolidating his power and Snow White gathers a council of powerful warriors to prepare to defend their lands from evil using the magic mirror to open other mirrors as gateways to travel to her sanctuary if they are deemed worthy of joining the fight.

If anyone is interested in this insanity, I'll put up character profile sample submission sheets and maybe we can get something started? I had a hard time being successful with this on Elliquiy so it might turn out not so lucky here either but I wanted to give it a try since it's been almost a year since I last attempted it.

I actually watched that. For like a straight-to-SyFy at 2am movie, it wasn't bad.

I'd give it a try if there was some MxM potential. I would probably come up with someone non-Western just to add that flavor that was mentioned.

I know, right? It's like, if these guys made a half-decent thing out of this idea, imagine if a competent production company had done it! Or if a solid TV or streaming network optioned the rights to the idea and made a series out of it. Not Hulu, though, Disney owns them and already has Once Upon a Time so let someone who doesn't already deal exclusively with fairy tale stuff take a crack at it. Netflix, maybe.

I tend not to go into group games with a sex-heavy emphasis if there's an actual story (usually my group games are really all-or-nothing when it comes to sex, like my Home Invasion-Forced Family Incest idea which is basically nothing but sex framed around a thin veneer of a plot) but I have no objection to letting the players have relations of every stripe and combination on the side as long as it doesn't interfere with the story moving forward. We can have a 'sex only' IC thread parallel to the story IC thread and OOC threads to make sure everything is nice and organized in a way that nothing is overlapping in a way that is not conducive to progress. That way waiting on a reply from somebody doing the nasty won't have the same effect as waiting on a reply from somebody to join the council meeting at Snow's castle.

Regardless of the combo, whether MxM or NBxNB or whatever the case may be, I value everyone having maximum choice and freedom of character creation over asking or insisting anyone tailor theirs to be paired up with another character. But if you know of anyone who does play the pairing you're seeking and you think they would be interested in this idea, you are more than welcome to invite them and see how things work out with the characters you create. The more the merrier and all that, I just can't guarantee there will be enough people involved to give good odds of finding any specific matching preferences.

I get it. Groups on here aren't rich for me, but I keep pinging interest. I wouldn't expect a smut story, but staring something with a guarantee of nothing ever is kind of a downer. I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

I'm definitely interested.

Curious to know if certain historical or early literary figures are allowed, stuff like King Arthur, Don Quixote, Dante Alighieri, Joan D'Arc, stuff like that.

I'd prefer them being fictional so probably not Joan of Arc, but the others should be okay unless Dante is the one who wrote Inferno, since he was also a real person as far as I'm aware.

I'd hoped there might be more interest considering how popular the two themes are. Here's a sample character submission sheet in case anyone wants to do one.

Code:
[b]Player Name:
Character Name/Alter Ego (if applicable):[/b] Example - Princess Aurora/Sleeping Beauty
[b]Tale(s) of Origin (also country/culture of origin if obscure):
Alignment:[/b] Good? Ultimate evil? Selfish yet lesser evil that doesn't want ultimate evil taking control? There's little if any room for neutrality here (which I think will help with motivating characters to action so it doesn't become an issue this time around).
[b]Special Abilities:[/b] This is for your abnormal magic-based talents that normal people can't do, including enchanted equipment/weapons and any spirit familiars they may have which they can communicate with, control or even merge with. Please include origin of ability such as being born a non-human or partial human/other species hybrid, being blessed at birth or older by a guardian fairy or other being (or being cursed by a more malevolent being in the same fashion), acquiring a special item or artifact or weapon that bestows power upon them, etc.
[b]Skills:[/b] Any normal weapons they specialize in or styles of martial arts, and other talents like archery/marksmanship or knife/spear throwing, tracking, setting traps, camouflage, etc.
[b]Backstory:[/b] Please feel free to take liberties with the physical sex, gender identity, sexual orientation and even the character's original alignment of good or evil with this one as you see fit to make your character fit your preferences as best as possible
[b]Personality:[/b] What sort of attitude do they have toward life, toward friends, strangers, enemies? Possibly include hobbies if relevant, or vices/bad habits.
[b]Characteristic Preferences:[/b] Things like gender self-identification, sexual orientation, and any preferred kinks you'd like to see included (if any; this game isn't usually tailored to be a sexually explicit game, more story-driven so it might not come up)
[b]Appearance:[/b] Real world pics preferred over anime or other style of artwork if possible, except maybe for characters who take on multiple appearances via transformation or who adopt variable wardrobes constantly (and please identify face claims where possible!)

'Ol Rumple is an interesting character in the first movie. The second just sucked. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the two.

I'd be interested in playing a villain role, unless you @Mathim want to control the bad guys. Every story needs something to add the friction in. Do you have a place you'd like us to post potential characters for your review?

I typically choose last, to give everyone else the most freedom (though it's first come, first served for everyone else) and I will just fill in the roles that are needed that haven't been filled. I have a framework for how the bad guys operate, namely that they start on the Easternmost landmass in a world that has four great land masses, one in each of the cardinal directions all separated by an X-shaped ocean.
West typically has the South American/Native myths as well as Western European folklore, the North is for Eastern European/Russian/Eskimo myths to emerge from, South is for African and Greco-Roman myths, and East would be for Middle Eastern and Asian myths. I'm open to revisions if this is cumbersome or has any other significant issues. My interpretation of Rumple is that he's a former Djinn, free of the lamp with some lingering magic, but as he makes deals, that magic is bolstered and with enough, he can become the powerhouse he once was, with the drawback of him dying if he fails to hold up his end of any of his crooked deals. But anyone is welcome to play him however they like, though he does make for the best main antagonist.

I'm not sure what you meant by first and second movies, though; I thought there was only one Avengers Grimm and
he dies at the end of it?
Is there a sequel I never knew about?

As for character sheets, I prefer them here where everyone can see them (so they know as soon as I do what's been claimed) but you can put a spoiler around it since they're usually pretty lengthy. Also I forgot how to resize an image so that it's not too big but if anyone knows, I'd appreciate being reminded.

Yeah, they have Avengers Grimm Timewars which IMHO was horrible. The entire movie is available on YouTube.

The fun thing about the first movie was that it was campy. SO bad that it was good. I also like the fact that Rumple's trying to get Snow to marry him, which is fun as well.

My interpretation of Rumple is that he's a former Djinn, free of the lamp with some lingering magic, but as he makes deals, that magic is bolstered and with enough, he can become the powerhouse he once was, with the drawback of him dying if he fails to hold up his end of any of his crooked deals. But anyone is welcome to play him however they like, though he does make for the best main antagonist.

So certainly - if you're not eager to play a Rumple character I'd love to, but I also believe in giving the game master a bit of fun, too! ;)

Regarding sex in the role play, one of the things I've seen used is that the characters have gone to DM for their personal scenes and then back to the main thread for things that affect the story, so if there is a need to keep the main story rated R, anyone who wants to fade to black and have some off-the-side fun would be happy too.

On that note, (and if @Mathim allows), @obieblu , I'd run an MxM interest against your character if you're interested. I don't mind running two characters. I'll work on a character sheet or two over the next day or so.

@Traveler That's very generous of you! Thanks. I'm into it. As long as you'd enjoy it.

I should probably skim the movie again and start looking up folklore characters.

@Traveler That's very generous of you! Thanks. I'm into it. As long as you'd enjoy it.

I should probably skim the movie again and start looking up folklore characters.

@obieblu Absolutely. I stalked your posts and you add to the story, plus you describe your scene well. I would enjoy the build-up and the scenes, and I think you could write an interesting character that would be fun to work around.

Omg. There's nothing more flattering than having a stalker. 😊

It's late on my end, but I'll do my homework tonight. I'm still leaning towards something not-European.

Yeah, they have Avengers Grimm Timewars which IMHO was horrible. The entire movie is available on YouTube.

The fun thing about the first movie was that it was campy. SO bad that it was good. I also like the fact that Rumple's trying to get Snow to marry him, which is fun as well.

So certainly - if you're not eager to play a Rumple character I'd love to, but I also believe in giving the game master a bit of fun, too! ;)

Regarding sex in the role play, one of the things I've seen used is that the characters have gone to DM for their personal scenes and then back to the main thread for things that affect the story, so if there is a need to keep the main story rated R, anyone who wants to fade to black and have some off-the-side fun would be happy too.

On that note, (and if @Mathim allows), @obieblu , I'd run an MxM interest against your character if you're interested. I don't mind running two characters. I'll work on a character sheet or two over the next day or so.

OMG, that trailer looks absolutely ghastly, a return to form for that production company and their otherwise pretty wretched track record.

I'm not eager necessarily to play any particular character (though as they say, villains have more fun...or is it more sex?) So don't worry about that, I'm more flexible in that area so the players have maximum freedom of choice. I wouldn't mind someone taking the role of co-GM though if they wanted to help out.

I don't do MxM personally but if anyone else wanted to set up special interest threads to coast alongside the main story thread, I'm totally down with that if that works better than a single separate thread for just sex scenes in general.

If anyone has trouble thinking of a good character, I've got literally dozens of ideas, so don't be shy about asking.

I think PM threads on the smecksy parts is the way to go, whatever genre it is. Otherwise, everyone has to wait for someone to finish up before they can move on.

Do you have a preference for faceclaims? Photos, art, style?

My first concept is a Native American myth of Rainbow Crow. He can fly and spit fire. If he uses fire too much, he turns 'dark'. It follows the myth as a human-version of the character. Will that work? I can drop the fire or limit it somehow if it's too powerful. I'm not looking to powergame.

I'll start posting some ideas shortly, haven't gotten to dust off that old index I wrote up for a while.

For face claims I prefer real-life models but if they transform, I feel like we can allow for some illustrations to depict their familiars or alternate forms.

I think for the purposes of this game, a human or humanoid character would be best. Morphing between them would be fine as long as their base form is human most of the time by default. I'm more interested in where the story is from and how your interpretation differs from the original.

Actually that sounds like a good place for an example. Here's my idea for a Puss in Boots character:
In my idea, she's female rather than male as the story I was always shown had it. Her story starts once she's gotten her master, the Marquis of Carabas, his rightful inheritance via her cleverness and trickery. While she may have started out just as a clever cat in a pair of boots, they weren't just any boots. The legendary Seven League Boots, which allow someone to traverse seven leagues in a day, give her amazing speed. Also, as a side effect of her having killed and devoured the shapeshifting sorcerer whom she tricked into assuming the form of a mouse, she can now assume a humanoid cat form, and a fully human form. All of this power and gear make her a perfect thief, though just as before, she only robs those who can afford to be robbed.

Oh, yeah. He'd be human form. Like that native spirit born as man.
He could transform into a bird, but I don't want to go crazy with the powers. Are flight and fire-breathing or creation ok for this story or tone it down?

If anyone has any specific questions, you can PM me, but the general outlines have pretty much been covered here. Let's put it this way for power limits, though:
-The character should be able to utterly demolish a single soldier with their power
-A squad of 5 to 10 soldiers would give them some trouble unless they really go all-out with their abilities.

Traveler's Folks:
Axle Heart/Rumpelstiltskin
Tale of Origin
: Rumpelstiltskin (includes other similar fables/fairy tales) and Aladdin/Germany and Arabia
Alignment: Lawful evil, though 'good' and 'evil' are relative terms in his mind.

Special Abilities: Some taken from here.
  • Power of suggestion/mind control (no god-modding though). The ability to make a deal. Much like a Djinn, he'll twist the words to his favor, so deal carefully. He is a warlord imbued with magic who uses his mind-controlling powers to brainwash people and create an army of minions. Not the happy yellow minions, either.
  • Magical abilities (kept to a fair level)
  • Shape shifting (he's blue in normal appearance.)
  • Flight
Weaknesses:
  • Magic can affect him, as can weapons, fire, decapitation, etc.
  • Capture bottle (if you can piece together the tiny flakes of his original one.) Good luck with that!
  • Being out-conned by a beautiful con artist.
  • Thinking he's the smartest person in the room.
Skills: Axle can speed-read and comprehend contracts, and he loves to read people in the same way, deciphering what makes them tick. He'd make a great counselor if he didn't try to bend people's weaknesses to his advantage.

Backstory: He was a genie/djinn/jinn who convinced the woman who opened his bottle that he was smitten with her. After hundreds of years of being captured, he was ready for a fresh start in life. Axle was so convincing that he managed to get the owner of the bottle to wish that his prison was destroyed, and and in return, he would stay with the lonely woman for the rest of her life. Unfortunately, their deal didn't stipulate that it was for the rest of her natural life, and humans...well, they're fragile creatures, aren't they? One small slip on a unset cliff and ~whoops!~ Freedom.

Personality: Charming, yet firm and unyielding unless the yield can pull you in. He's unforgiving of those who betray him, often turning them into Thralls (obedient servants) to benefit him another way. The one thing he will not do is use his mental powers to persuade someone to be intimate with him. What does he want? Why everything, of course! That, and your unwavering commitment to him and his plans. Is that too much to ask?

Characteristic Preference: Straight. As straight as the deals he makes 😉 . Axel is dominant and knows what he wants.

Appearance:
MV5BMTM2ODE3MjM5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODE1OTk0Mw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1502,1000_AL_.jpg

Height: 5'-10"/ 1,77 m
Weight: 165#/74.8 kg.
Ridhaan (RE'dahn) Kabir/The Big Bad Wolf
Tale of Origin:
Red Riding Hood, The Three Little Pigs, and a plethora of other tales here/Russia, Norway, England, etc.
Alignment: He is aligned with whomever is paying him. Otherwise, live and let live as long as he's not hungry. Then everyone is free game.

Special Abilities: Augmented strength, speed, and tracking ability. Able to move canines to do his will. Super powerful breath (I'll huff, and I'll puff...), basic Lycanthropic ability, which can be done by will, or forced by the full moon.

Skills:
  • Disguises (Grandma, and sheep's clothing).
  • He was a bounty hunter before he was changed, so those types of skills would be in his toolbox.
Weaknesses:
  • When he does eat, he always eats the heart. This makes it hard to hide his kills.
  • Silver.
  • Angel blade to the heart will kill him.
  • Injecting the live blood of his sire wolf (from Serbia) would 'cure' him. If he survives.
  • Decapitation.
  • Fire.
Backstory: He's a rarity; a lone wolf in a world of wolf packs. He wasn't born into the life as a wolf but was transformed, and because he flew out of the country where he was infected (Serbia) he came into his 'gift' with no mentoring. His previous life was as a bounty hunter, and he does take the occasional job when it is the right fit. He's not
Personality: Likes to devour 😉 beautiful people, and occasionally an enemy or two.
Characteristic Preference: Presents as straight, but he's drawn to people's aura, so he's found himself in several gay relationships throughout his life.

Appearance:
c4ce62bccfd4bd7711d430d9960e6c1c.jpg true blood.PNG
f0c0c3e04ccb299ab567c4193c9c6200.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting anyone to take on multiple roles right off the bat but it's cool that you're so interested. Looks good and I appreciate taking the nod from my original Rumplestiltskin concept to keep that part intact.

I won't let you down. @Mathim Plus, we can plot and create a lot of turmoil for the others.

Unless, of course, you want us to all put in one character and then see how it goes. I'm okay with that too. 😉

I'm more concerned that we won't have enough people interested to actually get a bona fide start, to be honest, so it might end up going to waste. It always gets me how the genres are as popular as they are yet not a lot of people throw their hat into the ring for it.

It's been really slow on the site lately too. Well, if all we have are three people we can start a thread, but that doesn't leave a lot of interaction for everyone. Of course, the flip side is that we can respond more quickly.

It is a tough one, though. What about @PC-98 ? Is she still interested?

It's been really slow on the site lately too. Well, if all we have are three people we can start a thread, but that doesn't leave a lot of interaction for everyone. Of course, the flip side is that we can respond more quickly.

It is a tough one, though. What about @PC-98 ? Is she still interested?

I am interested, just been having some difficulty coming up with a character

Back
Top Bottom