Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Slaughterhouse Rulez!

Archmagos Issac

Sir Ser Issac of Clarke of Chad the II
So I am a HUGE fan of the Powered by the Apocalypse RPG system. More specifically, I love the game "Monster of the Week". What isn't to love about an RP system designed to follow a group of people who kill monsters "Supernatural" or "X-Files" style? That being said, I had an idea for a similar system but was a bit less restrictive when it came to playbooks and classes.

The idea is that the game takes place in a zombie apocalypse and follows survivors who were students at the college of the city the RP takes place. Character stats are exactly like in MotW:
  • Cool: Determines how calm and collected your character is. It is added to your die roll for the act under pressure and help out basic moves​
  • Tough: Determines how strong and mean your character is in a fight. It is added to your die roll for the kick some ass and protect someone basic moves​
  • Charm: Determines how pleasant and persuasive your character is. It is added to your die roll for the manipulate someone basic move​
  • Sharp: Determines how observant your character is. It is added to your die roll for the investigate a mystery and read a bad situation basic moves​
Normally, there is a Weird stat that is used to determine magical capabilities but I don't envision the characters having magic at all. Normally there is also playbooks. Character classes that determine your character roll. Experts, Scientists, stuff like that and each playbook has special moves that make them more formidable. Things like being able to see the future, rolling with Tough instead of Charm when you try manipulate people, things that make someone unique. Then I had an idea: rather than picking character classes, why not pick classes? The characters are students which implies they had classes and every class gives the student unique knowledge.

For instance, say your character was an athlete and did a lot of strength training. They might pick Strength Training - "Gain +1 Tough (Max +3)". Perhaps they are an aspiring med student. They may pick First Aid Training - "Roll +Sharp to heal others or yourself with what you know. On a 10+ you heal 2 health points and stabilize the wounded. On a 7-9 you pick whether to heal 2 health points or stabilize the wounded. On a miss you are unable to fix the wound due to a lack of knowledge, time, or supplies". I would love to develop this more but ONLY if others like the idea.

I'd love to answer questions, hear comments, and would appreciate constructive criticism. Let me know what you think! Maybe we will start a group RP together​

I think the school classes, not character classes idea is fun. Are they picking from a list, to mix and match as they please? Or maybe they have to pick their majors/minors?

I think the school classes, not character classes idea is fun. Are they picking from a list, to mix and match as they please? Or maybe they have to pick their majors/minors?

The idea I was thinking was they'd pick 3 classes to start that would serve as their majors. As they play and level up they can select more classes that act as minors or extra-curricular activities

Back
Top Bottom