Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Order & Chaos. Right & Wrong. Murder & Justice. (Greeneyed23 & Lady Bloody Ava)

It was a borderline stressful time. One thing after another popped up and it never failed to point to her brother. If things were left the way that they were, he would bleed this family dry in every way possible. The atmosphere of the household kicked into high gear. Orders give and followed. Her eyes watched and ears listened. Bella was a see it to believe it kind of person and what she saw never ceased to make her groan. Lucius created more work for the family. This was all worth it. Her mother had instilled as much knowledge as she could into her daughter. Araabella admired her mother more than anyone. Olivia Vontrell always put her family first and the second that she laid eyes on her blue-eyed auburn-haired princess, she knew that her family was complete.

If only Olivia could see her daughter now, putting family first and lending her strengths to her father. Everyone working for the Vontrells was instructed to inform her of anything that Lucius would do that was not of the norm. Dipping into the coffers, excessive drinking, even harsh behavior with the help. She had not seen Lucius and it was proving quite refreshing, but still suspicious. It made her wonder what he was up to.

For the time being, she worked on some papers and continued with calculations on getting things back to what they once were and how to go about that. There was a servant girl with her. Melda had been kind enough to retrieve people and books for her.

"We are going to have to utilize our signature makings to make back what we lost and it will take some time to do that..." Bella sighed behind the desk and looked up to smile at Melda as a warm cup of tea was placed upon the desk. "Thank you, my dear." Before Melda could reply, the most unwelcome of people barged through the double doors of the family office. The surprise was clear upon the soft features of her countenance and the help had both hands over her heart to still the throbbing organ.

"You need your hand held in some manner since you clearly have forgotten how a household is supposed to work, Lucius Malcolm Vontrell!" Her hands slammed upon the surface of the desk as she stood from the chair. Melda wished to shrink into the shadows at this awkward point. Especially when she noticed the vein throbbing in the young Lord's right temple.

"You dare speak to your elder brother with such disrespect?!"

"Age and sex are not the only factors that determine whether or not you get respect and for one preaching about respect, you have shown very little towards our father and our home!! You have made quite a dent in the coffers and used things that father explicitly told you not to use! You are no prince, Lucius, and if you will not look out for the well being of this family and those who side with us, then I have no choice."

Her brother's rage was as obvious as the midday sun. The man managed to grab her by her hair and tried to pull her across the surface of the desk when a distinctly icy cold feeling graced his cheek.

"Let.... me.... go...." Melda choked on a cry before running out of the room in search of Lord Vontrell. She left Lord Lucious grabbing Lady Arabella by her hair, but the young Lady produced a dagger from out of nowhere and had it placed upon the face of her brother. Anyone who knew Lucius knew that he was conceited and cared for his looks above all things. When he moved, the knife would dig just slightly deeper.

"Fine!" Bella was shoved back towards her chair and Bella noticed the faint line of blood slowly welling in a short thin line upon her brother's precious cheek. The arrogant male noble touched a hand to his cheek and was stunned silent to see blood on his hand. While not here, Morgan had saved her skin. If Lucius was willing to go this far and he knew that his sister was not hesitant about spilling his blood then the atmosphere of their home was going thick with worry, suspicion, and anxiety.

Melda would find Lord Vontrell just leaving a meeting. The girl bent in half, desperately trying to catch her breath while uttering the words, "Lucius.... has Arabella.... a knife....in the study.... "the worry caused her to bypass all formality with their names as she spoke.

Last edited:
For all his age and ill health, Arthur Vontrell was still a man of action.

A warrior born and bred, and trained to it, even deep in years he still had physical capabilities that would stun his son.

And make his daughter beam with pride.

At the word knife he was off with all his speed.

Age had slowed him. Lessened his strength.

But his rage and ferocity had only seasoned over his many years.

He burst into the room furiously.

Lucius yelped despite himself, and Arthur took in the scene in an instant.

And marched across the room, seized his son by the collar and raised him bodily before slamming him against the wall.

Lucius screamed in terror.

Arthur roared. "IF YOU EVER TOUCH MY DAUGHTER AGAIN I SHALL HAVE YOU HANGED BOY!"

He punctuated each word with a slam against the wall.

Lucius screamed with each impact, like any bully, when confronted with someone of equal strength he folded.

He was pleading to be let down long before Arthur finished.

Arthur hissed in disgust and dropped him.

Fuming and panting he stood over the thing claiming to be his son, glaring down at him.

Lucius suddenly darted up, snaking out his own dagger.

Before bella could call out she got to see the warrior in her father.

He caught the dagger hand with one hand, and smashed it against a wall so hard everyone heard, and seemed to feel the resulting crack.

But even that was nothing to the slap.

Arthur dealt Lucius such a blow that the boy slammed to the ground before him, clutching both his hand and his bright red cheek.

Arthur hissed. "You are no longer my heir. You shame this house. Get out of it."

"Fathe-"

"Call me that and I shall have you whipped until the life leaves your eyes. You have shamed me. Embarrassed me. Abused my trust and my love. But no more. You have attacked my daughter. Were you the child of any but your angelic mother i would kill you now. But you no longer have rights to my name. I remove from you all offices. All titles. And i cast you out of this family. This house. And this realm. Begone!"

Lucius started to speak and Arthur drew his sword aiming it at his face. "Go boy. My patience is at an end."

Whimpering, and leaving a suspicious yellow puddle, Lucius fled.

Arthur nodded, and turned to his daughter, sheathing the blade. "Well that's handle. I shall need to draw up the papers. So my darling you shall become my heir. I...I...I-I-IIIIIIIII."

As she looked into his face, the lefr side of his face suddenly went slack and empty, the eye rolling back into his head as blood flows burst from his nose, mouth, ears, and even some from his eyes.

He gurgled and fell into her arms.

His heart beat was racing so fast she could feel it through his clothing.
And hear his ragged breathing. Something was terribly wrong with her father.

And for the moment she was alone.

Her father's sudden appearance was a shock, to say the least. That dagger was still clutched in her hand. Her father continued to surprise her as she watched him grab his only son and pinned the young man against the nearest wall only to slam him over and over again. This was the wrath of Lord Authur Vontrell. A warrior and father. Where did the strength come from? This unwavering sense of authority that seeped from every pore on this man was enough make the most seditious of men turn steadfast in an instant.

Bella watched her brother fall into a cramped heap upon the floor. The glint of something shiny did not escape her eye and she cried out to her father, but he was just as swift. The young woman gasped. Fear, shock, and relief bombarding her senses one after another. Fear that her father would get hurt, shock that Lucius had actually tried to stab their father, and relief that her father caught the knife.

It was at this point that Lady Vontrell could no longer stay put and she got up to stand with her father lest her brother try another attempt at their father's life. As her father drew his sword, she was saddened that it had come to this. Lucius was a fool, plain and simple. She watched as her brother left father and daughter alone. Arabella had some words for her father, but she would let him speak before saying what she had, but in an instant things turned grim.

"Father..."A change was noted in his face seconds before blood flowed from every orifice imaginable. His body gave way and she caught him with a scream.

"Father!!! Father please!!" Hot tears spilled as she patted at his blood-stained cheeks while crying out for aid.

"Someone fetch a doctor!! HELP!! Father.... father please.... please don't leave me...." Several people stormed into the study and sight stopped them in their tracks. Lady Vontrell held her dying father in her arms.

"Someone find Lucius! Find him and keep him confined! You!" She looked towards the familiar face of a soldier that frequently spoke to her father. "Get me, Commander Morgan, as fast as possible. Tell him what Lucius has done to Lord Vontrell.... WHERE'S MY DAMN DOCTOR!!" There she sat, rocking back and forth. You could hear the gurgling of blood as Arthur took ragged breaths. His heartbeat was damn near visible through his chest.

Cerulean Blues were brimming with tears as she looked at the palm of her father's hand that caught the knife. "This has to be a poison..." All thoughts of being an heir and all that came with it were nowhere to be found in her mind. All she wanted was her father back. Lucius could have everything if only she could have their Father back.

By the time the Doctor arrived, it was too late. Even with tears in her eyes, she ordered two men to carry her father to his bed chambers where she had him cleaned up. Never having left his side, she had everything being prepared for his body to join her Mother's. It was at this point that she sat in disturbing silence. What ran through her mind was what Lucius would do from here and what had to be done. Arabella was a hair's breadth from the dagger gifted to her and hunting her so-called brother down and finishing what her father had threatened to start.

Last edited:
Lucius did not come. He did something much more vile.

He entered his father's office, and named himself Lord Vontrell.

Even before his father's heart stopped.

And when the guards came for him he ordered then to stand down.

And how could they refuse?

Bella had been the only witness.

Lucius had full control of the household by nightfall.

Save for her.

He came into the room after ordering everyone out. He was in his armor.

He walked up to the bed, on the opposite of her, and sneered. "Weak old fool. Go to your room."

When she started to protest he yelled.

He would never know the difference between yelling like a child, screaming like a weakling, and roaring like a beast or warrior.

His father had done the third. He was capable only of the first two. To yell in his impotence, and to scream in his horror.

"I am Lord Vontrell now. You will obey me!"

He patted the corpse's hand. "This old fool was mad in his last moments. And witnessed only by a woman."

He smiled coldly. "This house is mine! As are you."

He stared at her hungrily. He would make her pay for his damaged face.

~

Lucius missed the most vital part of her orders though.

The rider galloping full speed toward the Hurts.

~

Food was brought to her in her room. And a letter from the doctors.

"My Lady,
I must inform you that your sainted father was not murdered. He suffered instead from a sudden and acute onset of severe apoplexy. It is distinguished by the rigidity in the single side of his face, and the rapid paralysis of his form. When such a severe onset occurs the patients blood forms knots in the blood passages. I am afraid one of these knots most certainly struck his brain or his heart. Given the facial bleeding I would surmise his brain. I have thoroughly tested the blood and found no sign of any poison. I shall continue to test of course My Lady but it seems that your dear Father was struck down by nature not intrigue. I would of course ask what his condition was prior to the event. Had he been extremely agitated, and had he undergone great physical stress it is more than possible that this lead to the onset.
My most sincere condolences My Lady,
Dr. Vernon Furish."

So while Lucius had been too big a coward to kill her father, he had also been too much trouble for her only recently recovered father to endure.

But he had been magnificent in his ending. And now he was with Olivia.

Guards ended up having to drag their furious lady to her room. "Father denounced you as a Vontrell! You are no family of mine and you have NO right to dawn the name of this family!" Even with hot tears, her fury shined through. A humble apology was whispered to her from a guard as she was barred in her room. It was not their fault. Eyes were red and her face buried in the soft surface of her bed.

When the letter arrived from the doctor, it was only natural that she would partially blame herself. She should have taken care of Lucius herself before her father got there. Her mind was running rampant with thoughts that there was no room for sleep. Was her father being tended to? Would she be able to say her last goodbye? Would Morgan come? Should she find a means to escape the ground of her home and find some means to fulfill her father's last wishes of removing her brother as the heir of Vontrell?

Petite slippered feet paced. Her hands and dress still covered in her father's blood. She did wash her hands in a basin when her food arrived, but there was no appetite in sight. At some point she found her head throbbing and all help was told to stay away from her, even at her request.

Lucius wasted no time getting his revenge and reveling in his new status. The imbecile worked on screwing an unwilling servant girl while his father's body was still warm.

The double doors to her bedroom balcony were open and the night air licked at her skin and made the occasional tear up her cheek feel icy cold. A small prayer was said for her father. The bustle could be heard around their home. If there was a way to make it safely to the ground, it would be an easy trip to the stables under the cover of night. All factors were considered, but she would give Morgan time to arrive, if her rider ever made it.

The doctor came to her late that night. "My Lady...come with me."

He took her down to her father as the others were beginning preparations.

They were all very nervous. But also determined. They would not let this good man go alone to meet his ancestors.

"Lord Lucius has his orders. We have made other arrangements My Lady. We shall have to bury him quickly, for which I do apologize...Lord Lucius is speaking of some truly grotesque treatments. We are all so very sorry."

They were risking everything for this. But Arthur a good, just, and fair lord to them all. He had been much loved and Lucius had made no friends among the service classes.

So they were carefully avoiding direct disobedience, and instead burying him with the honor and dignity due him.

The doctor lead her over.

"I am afraid we have had to make haste My Lady. But if you can endure what we must so he will not be defiled you can say your farewells."

He paused and very gently touched the fallen warrior's shoulder. "Ride well into those fields of splendor My Lord."

Then stepped away. They even hung a sheet between her and them.

They had somehow fought his face back into it's normal resting pattern, but had also deftly sewn his eyelids shut. His eyeballs had clouded with blood and the result were hideous. No daughter should have to see her father thus.

So now he might just be sleeping. If his brave heart still beat.

They worked steadily but quietly, giving her the space and freedom to bid him farewell.

~

Once she had done so two of her ladies in waiting arrived in winter attire, with her's as well, along with the guards, including the one who had apologized to her.

Bathilde also arrived, and told her that Lucius had gotten so heavily drunk and spent himself on one poor serving girl so fully that he was still asleep in his food.

The girl would stay to keep watch, while the rest of the household aided her in laying her father to rest.

The doctors had finished cleansing him, able to do so so expertly she had only smelled some odd scents.

Then they wrapped him and loaded him into a fine casket made by the local carpenter, and the household, and most of the town went to the Vontrell family plot.

There she found the grave already dug, and the stone mason just finishing adding her father's date of death.

Everyone bowed their heads respectfully to her.

Then they gently lowered Arthut into his plot beside Olivia.

The local priest spoke simply of a good brave man and his place in heaven with his beloved bride. And the love for his daughter, which was shared by all present.

Then everyoje pitched in to add a heavy layer of dirt, then a layer of rocks, then more dirt, a steel slab, then more dirt, then the carefully cut bits of sod were put back in place.

The doctor spoke. "So he cannot be dug back up and defiled and so...fools cannot foul his resting place.

Lucius had already spat upon her father. And likely planned much worse. This would protect him.

It was simple but even the idea of the descecration of Arthur's remains was horrible to everyone present.

They all bid farewell, and Bathilde planted snow roses between him and Olivia, and one by one they departed.

Save the guards and Bella.

The guards stood, waiting for her patiently. They saw this as their penance for taking her from her father. Each of them shivered in silence, suffering for their beloved Master.

And hating the fool who had claimed his title.

They said nothing. And would never complain. Arthur had been good to them. Good for them. And a good man. A good lord. And they had wrenched his one true child from his side out of duty.

And despised themselves for it.

So they had refused coats or cloaks.

And shivered. But their resolve was such that she never knew.

Each would happily have colds the next two weeks, sneezing and coughing loudly around Lucius happy to make him sick.

When she was ready they took her back to her room, leaving her alone with her thoughts.

But she had been able to say goodbye.

The town and the household has risked everything to ensure she could. And that they could join her without enduring Lucius' cruelty.

~

The rider rode on. He did not know his master wss dead but he had little doubt. He had seen the bleeding.

The people of these lands were more family than Lucius could ever hope to be. No time was spared following the good doctor to her father. Just when she thought that she could not possibly produce any more tears, they silently fell down her cheeks.

"Give mother my love and rest easy knowing that I will make things right, Father. Thank you for.... everything." The last word was obviously hard to say and uttered in a sigh. Most of what she had to say had been said in prayer in her room and time was of the essence if she wanted her father to be buried with love and honor.

The sheer number of people that joined her in seeing her father off, warmed her heart. Lucius would have to work hard to desecrate their father after this. Arthur was now with his beloved bride, but she felt as though her father may not rest easy until the Vontrell name was in the rightful hand of the child he wished it to be.

Since she left her room the dagger remained closely at her side. It was a weight off of her shoulder to see her father in his final resting place, and it made more room for her to think of what to do from here. Even if she left her home, these were her people. The precious people that served the Vontrell family for generations. There was no way that she could leave them for Lucius to break them down into nothing.

Decisions were not easy. She may well have to head to the Hurts, but while she had already asked for Morgan, she would never want to involve the Hurts. They were a precious family and needed no part of her vile brother. Bella hoped that it would never come to that. No doubt Lord Hurt would be furious and beside himself upon hearing of his comrade's death.

When Lucius awoke the idiot would be looking to take his frustrations out on someone when he found out that his father was buried. Silently she hoped that he would take it out on her. Some take his anger out on her. She would have been more than happy to gut him like a pig, but Lady Vontrell knew that her parents would not want their daughter to resort to such violence.

She could only imagine what plans he had for her. Sell her off for money or share her with his wealthy friends. If she ran away, as head of the Vontrells, he could order her back. The groan was easily heard through her bed-chamber door and the smashing of a glass against a wall in pure anger.

Lucius couldn't undo what had been done though.

Because the priest had wisely consecrated the family plot, meaning any who vandalized or harmed it would face the wrath of the church. And of the Imperial Court.

Such behavior was appalling and illegal.

So Lucius lost his first would be victory.

And Bella was saved, somewhat, by the same priest. He had cloaked Bella in the the official mourning rites.

Meaning she could not be touched, or wed, or even plan to wed for at least 40 days.

Everyone knew Lucius would not keep to that order. But perhaps it would buy Bella time.

Somehow the knowledge of who she had sent for had not spread.

The same guards could have explained that they told no one. To ensure the rider made it safely.

But they spoke to no one.

Lucius did punish the town and household. He increased taxes on everyone by an insane %10 percent.

But they could not argue. Because his friendships had paid off. He had a herd of mercenaries in and around the town, ready to do his bidding.

He didn't bring them into the house, he wasn't that stupid.

But he did have them. And the guards, though brave, were outnumbered more than a hundred to one.

Arabella was worried that her messenger may have been stopped in his tracks. What if Morgan never got the notice. The news of Arthur's death would reach the Hurt's ears eventually, but it may not be as soon as she hoped. A lot of time was spent on her balcony. Hands resting on the edge as she looked down. She did have someone check on Eris. It was a big surprise to hear that she was still in her stable and being tended to.

Perhaps Lucius had forgotten all about her in his moment of victory? Lady Vontrell heard of the punishment towards the people. It was no surprise to her at all. The girl started wearing her riding boots out of preparation. If she needed to, she would ride out of here.

Now she was wondering why she had called for Morgan? What would he do? What could he do? Even if she was named heir verbally, without writing, a male's word weighed more than a woman's. SHe would not bee seen as the head of Vontrell based purely on her word and even if there were witnesses, they were of the common class and would not be taken seriously.

Long auburn tendrils were pulled up and into a high ponytail. Those cerulean blues were as striking as ever beneath a fan of thick lashes. Lucius had still not come to see her. The idiot was probably enjoying having his sister out of the way and wreaking havoc as he pleased.

The girl had not gotten a wink of sleep since her father's death and it showed in her face. The one time she did fall asleep her mind conjured the image of her brother sending in some strange man to have his way with her. Bella was aware of how long it took to get the home of the Hurts and back. She would give it that much time. After that... she would make a move. Where she would not be certain, but anywhere but housed with her brother.

Obviously this would be easier said than done. Whispers of mercenaries could be heard from the servant beneath her balcony, no doubt they would be everywhere, as well as the border. It may even present the smallest delay for Morgan. Deep down she held so much faith in the Commander. Perhaps more than she cared to admit. It was harder to have ask for aid and involve another in this mess, but Morgan was more than capable of handling himself.

Last edited:
The rider reached the keep of the Hurts just before midnight on the second day.

"Commander Morgan!! Commander Morgan!!"

He and his horse were played out. But he would give his message.

A blade fell before his eyes and another ice cold line of metal fell onto his neck.

"Who sends you boy?"

"Lady Vontrell sir. I feat Lord Arthur has died, and she desperately needs your aid sir."

Morgan stepped into the firelight. "If you lie you will suffer boy."

The messenger shook his head vehemently. "No sir! Lord Arthur was most upset at his son for some reason. I do not know why. Lucius had cut on his cheek. And Her Ladyship looked very upset. Lord Arthur went rigid and began to bleed from all over. She ordered me to fetch you sir."

"When was this?"

"Morning yesterday sir."

"You mad fool you did not rest?"

"Lucius was insane sir."

Morgan nodded and picked him up and barked orders. He was to be held in the keep until Morgan returned with Lady Arabella Isa Vontrell.

Christoph woke and gave Morgan free reign over the situation.

Morgan selected 50 of his best and rode for the Vontrell estate not even three hours after the messenger arrived.

But brave as he was, he could not stop the weather.

A snowstorm nearly crushing power struck both routes there, forcing them along them along the slower valley road, and slowing their progress.

It was three days before they broke out of Hurt lands. Leaving the. Still most of two clear days to the Vontrells. But the storm had not stopped. If anything it had only grown more fearsome.

Morgan was frustrated but he held himself and took great care with his men. They all wore life lines, as did the horses and they were all in heavy winter gear, and heavily loaded with rations and clean water.

The snow and ice was harsh and biting but it kept them from having to drink their packed water.

Their pace was dragging, but they progressed.

And rescued more than a few travelers along the way.

Morgan lead 12 different skirmishes against bandits in those three days.

Including one into a large cave where they camped and tended to the prisoners and travelers they had rescued. Most were heading to the imperial city on business. And had been waylaid by the unexpected storm, and bandits.

The bandits had their own secrets which had Morgan absolutely furious.

Not a one survived.

Melda appeared in her Lady's room in haste with a basket in her arms. A black eye was easily noted by Bella who closed the distance between them and took the girl's chin to get a better look at the black around one eye. The servant girl tried to pull away, but Bella was very upset when she removed her hand. "What are you doing?" Bella inquired as she eyed the basket.

"My Lady, I bring you this."

What could have been a meal was actually a thick coiled rope, just long enough to reach down to the bottom floor. "You requested that your horse be readied. Your winter wear is hung, but..." As Bella walked over to the closet to pull the clothes necessary, she looked over her shoulder at the girl's hesitance. "But what?"

"The weather grows worse by the day and we fear you leaving by yourself. Can we not just wait for the Commander?" There was worry in her voice and fear as she watched the beautiful Lady Vontrell shake her head.

"No, I must go. It is only a matter of time before Lucius comes to play and I have a feeling that I may not be far behind my father if he plays me like a puppet." What was sad was that Melda knew this to be true. She had overheard the things that Lord Lucius spoke of doing to his sister. Using her as payment for the mercenary men. Using her as a disposable broodmare for infertile noblewomen.

One drunken night he confessed to wanting to play with his sister in private. He wanted to get her to beg for him in such a filthy and demeaning manner before painting her in his seed. It was a moment that made her actually vomit in a nearby broom closet. This, of course, she would not tell her Ladyship.

"Let me help you." She helped her Lady get dressed in the warmest of clothes and load up a bag of necessities at their disposal. The dagger was an obvious necessity. Next was the rope. It was secured to the balcony and the bag tied to the end before it was lower down below. It was getting dark and it made for quick work to sneak to the stables.

Eris was a welcomed sight and the mighty horse welcomed her new owner with a nudge. Eris was decked out in everything that Morgan had left her with. They were both ready for the trek. Eris was just as ready for a ride. Lucius would find out of his sister's absence just after she broke free of their home grounds. It was a cold night and the weather cot no better the further she rode. The fur-lined hood of her cloak kept her warm but the icy chill to her face was a bite that she would have to endure.

Any tiredness was replaced with adrenaline, but she knew it would only last for so long. The lands of the Vontrell were vast and mercenaries were damn near everywhere. Word count not travel as fast as she rode, so she had a good headstart. This grew more dangerous the further she got. At one point a pair of mercenaries rode her into a nearby forest and the girl climbed a tree and waited them out there. Eris laid on a nearby embankment as her owner perched in the cold darkness on the thick branch of a tree. No young woman of noble blood would know how to climb a tree.... or so they thought. So they moved on. It felt like forever before she came down and mounted Eris once again. Neglecting food and sleep for distance. She cared more for Eris than she did herself.

It would all be for not if she did not arrive alive. It was all she could think about. Even during the daytime, the weather did not relent. A small cave was found and the two needed rest. Without trying she fell asleep on a sleeping Eris, dagger in hand.
A wrapping covered the lower half of her face, but those blue eyes were the only feature that were distinct about the rider.

She was startled awake by the sounds of people entering the cave.

Then silence.

A hand gently tucked back the wrappings.

And Morgan spoke. "Lady Arabella...are you alright?"

Eris rose as the horses were brought in. Or as many as could fit as one of his men made a small fire.

The horses were allowed to drink in the cave, from melted snow in a hide sack.

Then their feed bags were put on and they were trooped outside for the next batch.

Eris was included in this, and Morgan made sure she got some extra protections.

While the men worked the horses he sat looking at the lady.

"I do apologize for the delay My Lady. We came with all possible haste. This blasted storm has been most troubling. But now we have you. I have fifty men and 29 persons traveling the road. Speak your will. Would you have us retake your family home?"

His eyes burned with eagerness. He didn't know the details yet, but if she feared enough to flee on her own, things had certainly gone badly.

Bella's heart froze at the sound of feet closing in. The familiar voice gave her a sigh of relief. The Lady Vontrell sat up as Eris walked off to join the other horses. There was almost a look of defeat about her as she listened to the Commander speak.

"Yes. Before father died, he told Lucius that he longer had rights to the Vontrell name. He removed from him from all offices. All titles removed. He denounced Lucius as a Vontrell. It was not father's wish for the family home to end up in Lucius' hands. I want it back. Father was furious. It was the first time I'd ever seen him act like a warrior with my own two eyes."

There was pride in her last words. Her father was a hero in every sense of the word. "The doctor says that stress and anger is what ultimately claimed his life, but Lucius was the cause. He is taxing the people because I gave my father a respectable burial while he slept off a night with a servent he forced himself upon. I want him out. I want the Vontrell family home back in my care. Thank you, Commander."

She looked to the people surrounding them. Lucius had his mercenaries on the hunt for his sister. She was his possession and had to be rightfully returned.

"I do not want the Hurts brought into this beyond you. I love them like my own family and I do not want the darkness that is Lucius and his dealings to darken the doorway of Lord and Lady Hurt."

He arched a brow.

"My sword is yours to command My Lady. What do you know of his defenses?"

He listened carefully.

"Well...then we shall go to this abandoned tower you speak of. And hole up. We shall get these good folk heading to the City."

He considered, studying the makeshift map she had drawn.

"Might i convince you to return to the manor two hours before we launch the attack? I can offer you another weapon if you wish. Even men of trust to protect from Lucius."

He believed her of course. Lady Vontrell had his complete loyalty.

"It is certain to get bloody my lady. And I will require a written order from you for Lucius' life."

He produced a parchment and quill from somewhere.

She still had her father's seal and his signet ring. She had been forbidden by him from allowing Lucius to obtain either.

"Back to the Manor? I can head back and two of your men should be more than enough. The next question was far more serious. Fingers of one hand fiddled with the signet ring on the finger of the other. At least her father had managed to give this to her. To sign away her brother's life? It was a moment of hesitation. After all that has happened up until now, it had to be clear that there was no changing her brother's ways.

"It is what needs to be done," she uttered as she took the quill and parchment to write the order for Lucius' life." It was signed with a signet ring and handed over.

The tower was a former watch post on the Vontrell lands. With Eris and two men under the command of Morgan she rode back to the manor. When word got to Lucius he had to see for himself. Melda was startled to hear that her Lady had returned. With haste, she asked one of Lucius' personal concubines to keep him occupied so that she could run to Lady Vontrell's chambers where she was met with two powerful looking men outside of her door.
Arabella shook her head. It was best not to say.

"Do not worry about me, see to it that you can get somewhere safe later." The confusion was written all over the girl's face. There were so many questions and the concubine was having a bit of a hard time taking Lucius' mind off of his sister.

Last edited:
With Arabella safely in the manor, Morgan got to work.

He sent the travelers on their way.

And seeded his men throughout the town.

Then wandered in, right to the most popular tavern. And started a tavern brawl.

Unfortunately for them he was just as handy with his fists as he was his sword. And unlike the mercenaries, he did not drink.

But he played up the fight. Letting it grow. And grow. And grow.

Before long every merc in the area was rushing in to fight. Or bet.

And die.

The 48 with Morgan were merciless, efficient, and quick.

They did nothing flashy. They slit throats. Broke necks. Stabbed their foes, and beheaded them by the dozen. The archers and dagger wielders put paid to dozens more.

For men and women of their skill, it was too easy. The only fair fighters were already fighting Morgan.

And getting soundly trounced.

Until he saw the signal.

~

The shouting and yelling was so loud even those in the Manor heard.

The two men with Arabella sent the household into the storage rooms and basements.

And set the household guards to protect them.

While they stayed near Arabella.

~

The fight was just hitting the crescendo when the signal was given.

Morgan fell into a back roll, and came up with twin blades, and lay into his foes like a scythe.

Screaming they died as they tried to flee, only to be fed into the arrows, daggers, or blades of his 48.

Soon not a single merc lived in the city.

Some had likely escaped, but they would not return.

And they certainly did not rush to their employer.

Morgan marched his force to the gates of the manor. And kicked them open.

He spotted the lazy fools who had aided Lucius that night.

He nodded and they were cut down even as they went for their weapons.

~

Lucius heard and burst up from the bed where he had been madly humping and choking his latest acquisition.

He looked out the window and saw only the open gates, and his very dead friends.

He screamed for the guards. None came.

He screamed for his friends. All dead.

He rushed out and kicked in the door across the way. The best and best paid ring of mercs. 18.

"Get my sister!! Bring her to me alive!"

Then he went back and pulled on his armor.

He finished just in time to realize that his sex pets were gone, and that someone had come up the stairs.

He stepped out into the hall and saw Morgan, alone, looking massive. His blade bloody.

"You cannot touch me peasant! I am a Lord! A noble! Blessed by the church and the Imperial Court with rights and privileges!"

Morgan started walking toward him.

"I will have you flogged and beheaded peasant! You cannot bare a blade at me!"

Silence. Morgan loomed ever closer.

"I command you to go away!"

Morgan was within twenty feet now.

"I have my sister dog!" He backed up into the cross hall and saw the 18 being fended off by two large men dressed like Morgan. And his sister in her doorway, watching, protecting the servant girl and the concubines.

"I...i...I will kill her!"

Morgan kept coming.

"Stop! I order you!....please..."

The please came as Morgan stepped into the cross hall.

He looked down at the 18 being held at bay by his two. They good. And were bottlenecking the 18.

He nodded, saw Lady Arabella.

And bowed to her.

Then his hand shot out and seized Lucius by the throat. He raised him and slowly looked up at him.

Lucius gargled and scratched uselessly at his arm, until he saw the eyes.

And pissed himself.

He realized finally why the 7th rank terrified so many. Their skills yes. But it was their ability to seperate themselves that truly set them apart.

He meant nothing to Morgan. Never would.

Morgan crushed his throat and snapped his neck as the little fool realized his errors. Lucius died whimpering. Truly a coward.

Morgan lowered him and walked into the frey before her door and cut his way through the 18, claiming 12 of them himself.

Then he stood before the door. "Lady Vontrell. Your home is yours once more."

Then he walked out, taking Lucius with him.

The pyres were many and full that night. Lucius was burned with many others.

Morgan presented himself to Arabella the next morning. "What are your orders My Lady?"

Every sign of the blood letting was gone.

The people were grateful but they eyed the fifty like they were all mad wolves. Or worse. And everyone was dead quiet in Morgan's presence. He ignored it.

When the chaos started it could be heard. Curdled screams. The sounds of steel against steel. When she found her room filled with the women that her brother used as playthings, she knew that things were closely drawing to an end.

The pound commotion taking place drew her from deep within her bedroom as she watched the two warriors fend on over a dozen of her brother's mercenaries. Their skill was above and beyond to the point where numbers seemed to not matter.

How could she not see Lucius as he came into view, shortly after, Morgan appeared. Even with all the fighting, she heard her brother's words. The fool still threatened his family when death literally stared him in the eye. The Lady turned on the heel when the deed was finally done.

She looked at the women hovering in the room. Some with handprint bruising in various obvious places and faces buried in the shoulder of other women out of fear or relief, she was not sure.

The heavy footsteps of Morgan reached her ears and the young woman turned around with surprisingly calm air about her, considered her brother was now dead.

"Thank you, Commander." The sincerity was there. There were things that need be done and silently the Lady of the household was grateful as the bodies were cleaned up without her involvement.

She tended to the women in her room and ended up heading to Lucius' room to retrieve some things necessary for the new heir of the Vontrell clan. When given a moment, she stood from a point in her home where she could see the blaze of the pyre illuminating the sky in the distance.

That night was the first night she slept without worry, in a surprisingly long time.

~

The Lady was found outside, talking to some of the people of the village. Discussing the preceding of the heavy tax laid out upon the people as punishment for laying her father to rest. Silence among the people was the first hint of Morgan's presence, along with his men.

While the people remained quiet, the smile upon their Lady's face upon seeing the Commander and his men eased them to some degree.

"Thank you, again Morgan, but I feel that we are not out of the woods just yet. I, a woman no less, ordered the legal male heir of Vontrell killed. What do you think will happen next, Commander?"

She trusted Morgan with so much and, despite her calm demeanor, really missed the guidance of her father.

"We risk this clan being divided and me being tried for his death at worst and me being forcefully married at best. Not now, but in due time. I have much to think about in my time of mourning, but I feel selfish in requesting that you stay a little longer, with Lord Hurt's permission, of course."

He knelt. "His Lordship has offered me into your service until you find a suitable replacement My Lady."

Then he stood.

"I would suggest we speak privately while my men tend to the cleanup and to the other matters. Including returning these good people their goods. I found a warehouse filled with their belongings My Lady."

Hearing this the people cheered.

The tax had been infuriating. But the outright theft had been revolting. But the mercenaries had been terrifying.

Morgan gave orders once Arabella had given her assent, and he escorted her inside.

"My Lady, might I suggest that you ignore the nonsense and simply take what is yours by right? As Lady Vontrell your word cannot be called into question. Once you have taken office, inform the Imperial Court of your Father's renunciation of Lucius. Then sign and seal it. They will not like it, but once sworn in your word they would have to have witnesses to refute it. Which is impossible. You are by right, and by law, the Lady Vontrell. Many will oppose you. But it is your place. And I shall be here to guard you until such time as you find a worthy replacement."

It was lovely to see the people cheering up to have their belongings returned with the aide of the imposing men that ride them of their ruthless former faux Lord. A nod was all she gave to agree with Morgan as to a moment of privacy between the two as items would be redistributed to their rightful owners.

The two walked back into the Manor and to the study where her father had died in her arms. She sat upon the edge of the desk with a light sigh and looked Morgan in the eyes. She listened to the Commander and nodded in agreement as he spoke. It all sounded to good to be true and they both knew that it was.

"This will be met with resistance, but you are right. By right and by law these lands and its people are my responsibility. I will get started on that right away and sent today." There was an unforeseen chuckle that sounded from her lips that even caught her by surprise.

"Worthy replacement? If that is the case then I may need you for far longer unless I am allowed to settle for someone that may come remotely close. I think you forget just how far up the ranks of loyalty, honor, and vengeance. Those like you are far and few in between, but I will search. Sooner rather than later, because you are best for the Hurts and with their family growing by ten little fingers and ten little toes I would be more comfortable knowing that you are with the Hurts."

From the top of the desk, she hopped and grabbed a quill from her well and a piece of parchment.

"Make your men comfortable. Though I doubt we need them all, no? I will also send the Hurt's a letter. I doubt I can convey my gratitude through a letter, but I will try and I know you are sick of hearing this, but thank you, again."

He bowed. "The men will stay with your permission my lady. We will provide from our own rations and hunt so as to not take away from the citizenry. We have to consider the mercenaries who escaped. And it is winter."

He smiled. "I can actually give you some names of men and women within my rank that would be suitable My Lady. Including four that Lucius had tried to seduce to his side who refused him. If nothing else they would certainly be of use to your household. I learned of their own loss of positions when we arrived at the keep. It seems Lord Grimble of Southhaven has passed away. And as he had no children and had not chosen an heir, his title and property revert to the Empire."

Lord Grimble was an irrascible old coot whom Arthur had done business with. Not a pleasant fellow but honest and fair. And he had been denied his choice of heir.

She could little doubt that Morgan knew this. But he would not cast aspersions. Not his style.

He took a parchment and wrote out several dozen names. "For the next month you are certain to find them in Southhaven My Lady. And i have our supply of message ravens should you wish to send a request. I must also inform your messenger of what has occured. Would you like him to return immediately or wait out the weather? He was most concise and quick. I would even presume to suggest he deserves a reward for his haste. He did well."

He stepped back. "Might I be of any other immediate use Your Ladyship?"

Her servants were out and about now, and the guards outside her room. They had had to face their own tussles and were quite proud of themselves for their part in the righteous coup.

Before she could answer the village priest entered, looking decidedly put out. "Lady Vontrell! I must have a word with you!"

He marched up and froze seeing Morgan.

Morgan gave him a formal bow. "Goodfather."

The priest, Winslow, had know Arabella all her life. Had buried her parents and blessed them. He was a good man. But he had no stomach for violence.

And he was a bit...eccentric.

He stared at Morgan for a moment, then turned to her. "Lady Vontrell. I must protest this seizure of my church by soldiers!"

Morgan arched a brow. "We have seized nothing Goodfather."

Winslow blinked his finger raised. Then turned to Morgan. "You...haven't?"

"No sir. And we would not unless the need was most dire...you say you have soliders in your church?"

"At this very moment! They are ruining the aisle carpet donated by Lady Olivia! And damaging my pews! And using simply ghastly language!"

Morgan bowed to Arabella. "My Lady it seems my job is not yet finished. I beg your pardon." And he walked out.

Winslow watched him go. Then whispered. "Where is he going?"

~

Winslow and Arabella, like so many others were drawn by curiosity to the village church. Winslow was a fine preacher, and tended well to his flock and those in need. A somewhat strange fellow but always a kind word, a bowl of good soup, and did not fear downing a good ale at the tavern if need be.

As they walked he chattered his worries. Including that there not be a fight.

When they arrived a crowd was gathered, held back by the line of 50, Arabella's guards had resumed their duty.

The line split to let her snd the priest through, with the guard, but no one else. The church was closed. And oddly quiet.

Winslow stood in the snow of his beloved old churchyard and fretted.

Then cried out and started forward. One of the guards caught his shoulder gently. "Hold on Goodfather."

"Why? That is my church and I-"

He yelped as the doors flung open.

And out spilled two dozen mercenaries cowering before Morgan who was beating them out of the church with a long horsewhip.

They had bruises and cuts, but no real wounds. and no weapons.

When they were outside he snapped his fingers and ten of his men rushed forward and clapped them in irons.

Then others went and fetched their weapons. And the aisle carpet.

He tossed the horsewhip to a cart driver he had borrowed it from and marched up to his swords, which no one had noticed until now were laid before one of the angel statues in the courtyard. This one had been modeled on Arthur.

He put them on and nodded to the other across the way, it was modeled after Olivia, and marched over to Arabella and Winslow. "Goodfather I believe we can rescue the rug. It may require borrowing Bathilde, but I believe Lady Arabella will allow this. And I do apologize for the trouble but I can assure you nothing is permanently damaged, there is no blood anywhere on your church, and though some violence was performed, none of it was of a lethal or dangerous level."

The mercs whimpered as he looked over at them. "I would suggest you not show them mercy however Goodfather. I know their kind. They are not good men. Some are even wanted. If i may actually some even have rewards. If you were to allow Lady Arabella to pass judgement on them, then legally your church and the Vontrell house could share in the reward."

Winslow sputtered. "But..Commander...your reward?"

"I am not able to accept rewards in such matters Goodfather."

"That is most interesting. Why-"

"Forgive me Goodfather but perhaps we could have this discussion at another time? It is cold and you would certainly like to inspect your lovely church."

"Yes! Quite!"

And he was off.

Morgan smiled and turned. "Hello everyone. I am afraid the drama has passed. Please go home. Lady Arabella will have decision for you later regarding a number of items. But it has been a long day. And for those wondering my force will be dwelling in the abandoned tower. It is more than enough for our needs."

The crowd clapped, then broke up, the soldiers going back to work.

Morgan turned to Arabella. "My Lady it is much too cold out here. May I escort you home?"

He offered his arm.

Now it was her turn to smile. Men and women of Morgan's rank? It was a blessing that she needed. It was sad circumstances that they were available, but she was more than happy to have the security of people of similar rank as Morgan.

"Thank you, Commander. May Lord Grimble rest in peace, but I am more than happy to see if one or more of his former retainers would be happy to call our lands home. Before she could utter another word, the village priest ran into her study with an air of alarm. It was easy to see how the ever-looming presence of the warrior could shake someone to the core, but as the Good Father began to speak, the Lady's face displayed confusion.

Even having barely just gotten to know the man, she knew that Morgan was not the type to have his men do such a thing. The girl watched as Morgan left and hands grabbed at the skirt of her dress as she swiftly followed just as the priest asked his question.

"To the Church, of course." With politeness, she answered before venturing off in Morgan's footsteps.

Curiosity made the bite of the cold worth the wait was Father Winslow and Lady Vontrell stood outside of the eerily quiet church. The sight that spilled forth from the church doors was quite the sight. Father Winslow seemed beside himself, though Bella watched on like a hawk.

The Commander was an enigma. Only in silence did she watch with an interested eye. He was cunning, wise, and respectful as well as powerful. He was certainly a force to be reckoned with and Arabella could not help but find the man fascinating. Her mind snapped too as the warrior spoke the surrounding people and offered up his arm. Now that he mentioned it, it was very cold and the walls of her home sounded most inviting.

Words of thanks were on the edge of soft pink lips, but she smiled instead. The man may very well force himself deaf from the many thanks she offered him. When they made it to the walls of her home she went straight to her study to write the letter to the Imperial Court as to her father's wishes and also to the list of warriors gifted to her by Morgan. After those were sent off, she got lost in her thoughts for a moment.

Morgan never seemed to leave her mind, he was always there; mentally if not physically. It was just incomprehensible. The man seemed to be her one stable force, Arabella's stability in a world filled with chaos that she so desperately needed in her life, now more than ever. It was an odd train of thought that did not seem to last long as the Lady's lack of sleep caught up with her.

She may have slept last night, but it apparently was not enough to make for the lack of sleep for two days straight prior to that. The halo to auburn tendrils framed that pretty sleeping face as striking blue eyes were hidden behind eyelids that felt weighed down by anchors. No doubt the people of the Imperial Court would not make this easy for her, but she had to brace for what may come, for now... the people of the village came first.

Bathilde harumphed loudly.

"What are tou thinking My Lady! You will make yourself sick sleeping sitting up. It is tike for your dinner. Then off to bed with you!"

Bathilde had been with the household since Arthur had been a child. Something like Arabella's spare grandmother, she adored the girl.

She bustled Arabella off to a hot meal, then got the ladies in waiting to tend to their Lady and tuck her into a nice warm bed.

The next morning Morgan was waiting in her office studying her great grandfather's framed armor.

When she entered he snapped to attention. "My Lady i must inform you that there is an issue within the village. It seems that several young ladies were forced upon by Lucius and his cronies. And a few are now bearing the result of those unions. Most of them have no families, and their condition precludes them from working. So they have been attempting to parlay what services they do have into food and shelter. We of course did not partake, but we did give them shelter in our tower and rations. But that is just part one. Part two is that they were all ... mutually admired by Lucius and his cronies. Together. So they are unsure as to the actual fatherhood of their children. Some are claiming Lucius was the father and that that means their children are the rightful Vontrell heirs."

He winced. "I do apologize My Lady but this is a rather serious situation obviously. Many people are most upset about the whole matter."

He shrugged. "It is hardly the time, but this is a matter that must addressed eventually no matter what. Either by you now, or the Imperial court."

He knew for a fact that one of Geza Mott's pets had come to power in this very fashion. And he would not allow it to happen to this fine lady.

Bella was done for when her head hit the pillow of her bed. She had to be awoken even after she cursed the sun peeking into her room from the balcony doors. Even after having eaten, their Lady was still not fully awake. It was off to work on more things to fix the financial situation of their lands and upon entering her office, she was greeting with Morgan. The girl had not even said anything yet when Morgan decided to get the ball rolling downhill for the day. Arabella did not even sit in her chair the longer she listened the more she wanted to crawl under her desk. As Morgan apologized, Lady Vontrell groaned and sighed.

"Good morning to you too, Commander."Feigning a jovial mood when the day had started far from 'good'.

"Lucius is making life hell even from beyond the grave." She would not pretend to be able to take on the world. Far from it, she missed her father so much at this moment. The man gave her confidence and always pointed out how she second-guessed herself all too often when she was usually right on the first try. Sitting in the chair seemed too confining, she sat on the edge of her desk in thought as she looked at Morgan.

"You are right, this can not wait, though I really would welcome your though and aid with this. If the Imperial Court accepts my word that my Father named me his heir before his death dashes their claims to their unborn children being the next rightful heir and while it is sad that their pregnancy may have been forced be Lucius or his men, I can not give them all that they may expect." Some of these women may have had nefarious reasons for getting pregnant by her brother, but she knew that some were given no choice but to be her brother's plaything and he would not have given a damn about the babies.

"If we can make it happen we can do daily rations and basic necessities for the women. Easier said than done, of course." The girl felt as though she was going to go mad already. Her head dipped low and eyes closed to still the throbbing in her temples.

"I see why some women find the idea of getting married and having a man take the reigns so tempting, but I can not bring myself to do that; marry for convenience. What do you think Morgan?" She had sent out the messages to the Imperial Court, as well as the former comrades or Morgan. Some good news would be much welcomed, but it would be some time.

"I wish I could visit Lord Hurt, but I will admit that I am afraid to leave my home. So much has happened and I do not want to risk anymore... surprises."

He nodded and considered. "I would meet with them My Lady. Individually. Many will only want to be guaranteed that you won't have them put to death. If you did that and were to give them work, there is always much to do, especially in such a diverse community you would eliminate the majority of the issues. Offer them simple but long term jobs and most of them will will happily forswear any claim at all to the Vontrell name."

He considered some more. "Do that first. Find the ones who will be trouble. Make it clear that you are who you are with all of them. And that their only hope of survival is that they sign documents attesting to the fact that they will never seek claim on your land or title. Then if they sign you will discuss work, shelter and even paying. If they refuse to sign then I truly suggest putting them in the dungeon."

He looked at her. "If they were warriors I would have them killed. But killing pregnant women is the act of the monstrous. Imprison them and make it known that they are well tended, warm, fed, clean and safe and even the Imperial Court cannot complain too loudly. Many will comment in disfavor but many already do My Lady."

He studied the wall for a long moment. "But never let them assume or presume any level of power or control. Some may try to be familiar. Or demanding. Silence and break that instantly. They are not your family. Even if they do bear his children. He was forsworn and renounced. They have no claim on you or your title. Never let them forget that My Lady."

He looked up at her. "That is how I would handle them. And i would send another message to the realm at large. Naming Lucius a rapist, adulterer, and pederast. Many are underage. If you sever any of his issue from any noble rights in an official proclamation it will silence the majority as well. If you were to offer food and shelter to his victims in the same proclamation you would win much favor at the same time My Lady."

The Lady listened to what the Commander had to say. She was grateful for his assistance and it was clear that she held undeniable trust with this man. "In the dungeon?" She asked before he continued to explain. The windows to her soul looked over to the nearest window with a heavy sigh. "Thank you, Commander. I agree. It is what must be done. The Vontrell heir slid from the smooth wooden surface of her desk and took her place behind it and pulled out a parchment, quill, ink, and stamp of her family crest.

"I will have word sent to them tomorrow to have them gather at the manor for one on one meetings. They will be tended to as they wait. Today I will focus on what is within my power and what I can do to have them taken care of and what jobs are suitable. It will take some time before I get a reply, but I can start taking care of them before that arrives. While there was a fair deal of writing done for the original summons and the original proclamation, which was handed off to be copied, the rest of the day was spent on foot.

A walkthrough of the manor and asking Bathilda if they needed more hands here and there or if anyone in the town could use a helping hand. A bonus of gratitude would be paid forward for assistance in placing the girls and frequent checks would be made to assure no abuse. Arabella, herself made it a point to ask for assistance rather than sending servants.

It was surprising to listen to the comfort of the people as they spoke relief of Lucius' demise and their dismay that Lord Arthur had come to pass so suddenly. It was a touching moment. The next day was going to be far more trying. It would be a surprise to see with her own eyes just how many pregnant women were at her doorstep. It was clear that Lucius was not picky in the slightest about who he chose to screw. Bella did not ask the Commander to be at her side, merely because she did not want to appear needy, but his presence would have been most welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom