Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Tanak's scribbles and thoughts

Sixteenth of March 2020, 16-03-2020

I'm going to keep it short today. Since 6pm last night The Netherlands is in a sort of lock-down. Nothing has changed really to warrant such a drastic measure, other than public opinion and opposition political parties. No idea what will happen in the coming weeks, but I'm counting on another two to three months of this kind of disruption. We'll see.

Seventeenth of March 2020, 17-03-2020

St. Patrick's Day. And arguably one of the strangest ever. No parades, no parties in pubs or streets. Just the notification that it's today.

For the first time in months, the weather is gorgeous. So I've been out for a long walk with a friend. I met up with her at her house, had a coffee. But it was strange. We're both affectionate people, but in current times that's not possible. So we kept our distance, didn't shake hands or hug. And when we had our walk, we kept our distance from each other and from other people as well. But it was busy, according to her. Of course the weather, but people not being able to go to work. So it's a bit trickier to keep your distance. Yet, on the other hand it's good to see a lot of elderly people outside, alone or with a friend, who are also walking. And everyone keeps their distance, bar a parent and their child. People, in general, keep to the measures imposed. Keep your distance, wash your hands, only be in close contact with a maximum of one or two people. That's often your household and for me it's my mom.

Tomorrow I'm going to do a walk with her. Something 15, 16km, so a good three hours walk. And we'll keep doing that, for as long as we can and the weather is good enough. Because it's good to be outside, in nature.

Stay safe, BMR, stay healthy. Get yourself tested if you think it's necessary.

Eighteenth of March 2020, 18-03-2020

The absolute ironic thing about this whole situation, is that for me personally nothng has changed. Since my return from England, four years ago, I have been unemployed for various reasons. Ae, education (or lack there--of), experience (overqualified). Thankfully we have a very good benefits-system in the Netherlands, which means that I can have my own place, with my own things and am not fully dependant on others (like my mother). As a financial guy by trade, I know how to budget my 'income' and outgoings, leaving me every month with a couple of euro spare. I have no debts. So I am not forced to live on the streets. And during those past years I have filled my days with reading and writing, watching some TV and the occasional visit to my mum. Of course, I have a social life outside of my home. I have Tuesday cards-nights, I go to the pub every now and then and I love walking long distances.

The pub and the cards-nights are the only two differences for me in the current situation. Or perhaps it's only one, as cards-night is in a pub. And since they're all closed, I can't go there. But other then that, I fill my days with reading and writing, watching some TV, the occasional visit to my mum and her and I go for long walks. As I said yesterday, we're doing that today as well. It takes me half an hour to get to hers and then we're doing a three hour or so walk. Not a very long distance, 15, 16 kms (around 10 miles). And later on, when I come home, I read and hopefully write as well.

The measures in The Netherlands are not as draconion as they are in other countries. And while every country bases its measures on roughly the same data, each country takes different measures. I've been told that it depends on the socio-economic and socio-political situation in a specific country. Italy and Spain for instance are in full lock down. But they have, roughly speaking, an older population, where family groups (including the elderly) live in one place. And in countries around the Mediterranean Sea, people are a lot more affectionate. Shaking hands, kissing (men AND women) upon meeting. For them the shock is much greater. And because of that, so the various experts say, a lock down is the only solution. But there are many uncertainties and everything rides on how willing people are to look after themselves and others. Even more, to stay away from others. It sounds strange, that by staying away from people you can look after them. We're learning new words every day. Social distancing for instance, stay away from people. Keep your own social bubble as small as possible. So that if there is an infection, the spread is minimized.

But above all, hygiene. Wash your hands, don't touch your face (that is the hardest thing). I have another fortunate thing. I don't invite people to my place. I have a perfectly liveable loft-appartment, but it's far from ideal. So when meeting with others, I go to them, or we meet in the city. But it means that, in the current situation, nobody can bring germs to my place. I have created my own little locked down place. Not entirely of course, since I still go out. I have to, to get shopping done. But I am not bringing other people in. And I know, not many people can do that. For a whole host of reasons. So, for you all, stay sensible, stay healthy.

Nineteenth of March 2020, 19-03-2020.

Today is the birthday of the youngest brother of my mum. And under normal circumstances, I would be driving with her to the village he and his husband live, to have some sort of family/friend gathering, have some coffee and pie and talk about things that, in the current day and age, seem irrelevant. So, later on today I'll do a video-call via Whatsapp, to at least show him I'm thinking of them, for he has cancelled his birthday party.

In the coming months a lot more birthday parties will be cancelled, and the other day I had an idea to save them all up and when this whole situation is over. Or controllable, whenever that might be, to have one large party. I even had a hashtag for it #Saveyourbirthday (or in Dutch #Spaarjeverjaardag). It could be an idea, to celebrate with your loved ones that you've made it through. And, hopefully it won't be necessary, to remember those that didn't.

We'll see, but for now, stay sensible and stay healthy.

Twentieth of March 2020, 20-03-2020

I'm staring at the screen and try to come up with something to write about. It's not that there's nothing to talk about, but it's more of the same. So I'm going to skip a day. I'm fine though, going to read some, perhaps have a nap. Pretty much my regular day.

Stay sensible you all, stay safe and healthy.

Twenty-first of March 2020, 21-03-2020.

It's the start of spring an nature is throwing The Netherlands a curve-ball. Not a single night throughout winter has it frozen, but the first five, six night of spring we're getting night-frost. And not just a degree or so, no, it will be as cold as -5C. The good thing is that during the day it will be sunny and clear blue sky, albeit on the cold sight with 8C.

You'd almost forget, wtih Covid19 spreading havoc in the world, but there are also people who die of natural causes. Natural or accidental. Perhaps unknown to most people here, Peter Wittingham, a more than decent English football player died, aged 35 after a fall in a pub, last week Sunday. He wasn't that well known among the bigger public, yet he was graced with a golden left-foot. And in his career he only scored a single goal from close-range, usually scoring from 30 yards or more away. And with a tally of 20 to 25 a season, especially for Cardiff City FC he meant a lot.

The first news message I saw this morning was the passing of Kenny Rogers. Absolutely not the kind of music I'm interested in, but the man was an outright legend in his field. And it's strange that the very first thing you think of, could it be? Of course it wasn't, or at least, that's not what the news message said. Mr. Rogers died aged 81.

In Europe almost all care-homes and old people's homes are locked. The general public, i.e. family and friends, are not allowed in anymore. To prevent corona being spread among the most vulnerable. In the Netherlands, but it seems to be a high exception in Europe, if one of those old people is dying, and they mean in his last hours, family, but not everyone, is allowed to come say goodbye. Under strict measures, of course. Nobody else, under no circumstances, is allowed to visit their relatives or friends. But, and that's incredible to see, we humans are inventive and try to make the best out of a situation. No matter how hard it is to explain to small children they cannot visit their great-grandmother, they will insist to go. If we can't go inside, we'll sing Happy Birthday from outside. She'll hear us, the care-home will arrange something, so she'll hear.

There is hope in news articles like that. We all have to make sacrifices, some a lot more than others, but if we stand together, we'll get through this.

So, BMR, stay sensible you all, stay safe and healthy.

Twenty-second of March 2020, 22-03-2020

We're doing it all wrong. All this lock-down, self-isolation, and all other measures, it's wrong. Not my words. Not my opinion. Far from it. No, words of similar meaning have been spoken by the President of Belarus. He, or so he firmly believes, has the one and only solution. Vodka. And lots of it. To wash your hands and body with and to drink. Lots of it. But not when you're at work. As one of the very few countries, if not the only, in the world, their football competition hasn't been stopped. No, they go on, with public in the grounds and the players and refs just shake hands as normal. It's not that Belarus is free of infected people. They've got 70 or so (Friday's count), which isn't much, but there are other countries too that don't have many infected people, as per yet. Will it change? No idea.

Another leader who's not believing what's going on in the world is Bolsanero of Brazil. He keeps calling Covid-19 the communovirus. Yes, my friends, President Bolsanero of Brazil is convinced Covid-19 is a communist invention, to scare the world. Mind you, this is the same guy who was at Mar-a-Lago when his press-officer was infected and possibly has spread it among American politicians. To put action to his words, he has organized a few mass-gatherings, mixing with the people there and hugging them and shaking hands.

Will they be right about it? Will the rest of the world be right about it? No idea, time will tell, but if you think a little bit logically, it's pretty clear who will be right in the end.

After three days of no infections in China, yesterday a foreigner entering the country was tested positive. Several sports- and other media have linked that to the arrival of Marouane Fellaini, a Belgian striker who has played for Everton and Manchester United. He had been in hiding in Dubai, after the initial outbreak in China and yesterday entered China again, for he plays his football there. Of course, things like this aren't confirmed yet.

Anyway I hope everyone will have a lovely Sunday, but as always, stay sensible, stay safe and stay healthy.

Twenty-third of March 2020, 23-03-2020

Let's talk sports today. With all active sports having come to a standstill, sports broadcasters have to figure out what to show on TV. And there are a lot of repeats to be seen. And repeats of repeats. And repeats of repeats of repeats. And so on. It gets boring. But, to my surprise I saw something being broadcasted in the weekend that was actually live. Several sports people are taking part in Formula 1 races, but on the simulator. And they've united and made it possible to compete against each other. This weekend just past they raced the Bahrain GP. Two semi-finals and a grand final, with 20 participants. Some are actual Formula 1 drivers, but als the goalkeeper of the Belgian national team and Real Madrid (Thibault Courtois) was taking part. There were 20 drivers in that final and it was broadcasted live on TV. Which is fantastic, because you are aiming at a younger and different kind of audience. The 'kids' that flock to arena's to watch Esports live, instead of going to a stadium to watch real athletes. As far as I know it's the first time in Europe that Esports has been broadcasted on mainstream TV and I really hope more of these events will follow. Even if it's League of Legends or Fortnite, it's better than seeing the umpteenth repeat of whatever.

The second thing are the Olympic Games. Tokyo is supposed to organize the Games in July/August this year, and up until last Friday both the organizing committee as the IOC were adament the Games should go ahead as planned. Not even a terroristic attack (München 1972) stopped the Games, only the two World Wars did. No, Tokyo would be free of Corona by July, so they would be able to organize the Games. The fact that only a small percentage of athletes had already qualified was just a minor blip, just as the fact that it would be almost impossible for the rest to qualify on sportive grounds.
The Games are about sportsmanship, fair competition, but with preparation different from country to country, in Australia the swimmers can train in a swimming pool, but in Europe every sports venue is locked., there would never be a fair competition. More and more National Olympic Committees and some very powerful organizations, such as USA Track & Field, wrote letters to the IOC, who still wouldn't budge.
But, on Friday the Games would go ahead, on Saturday a decision would be taken 60 days prior to the start and today a decision will be taken early April. It's still not enough though, because both Canada as Australia have already said not to compete if the Games go ahead as planned. I really can't see any other outcome than a postponement, no matter what it will cost.

And only time will tell what is going to happen.

In the meantime, stay sensible, stay safe and stay healthy.

Twenty-fourth of March 2020, 24-03-2020.

I wasn't sure what to write today, it's more of the same and a bit extra. The country is now on shut-down until June 1st, school exams (the Dutch equivalents (yes, more than one)) of High School have been cancelled for the year, more shops close and people are being told to keep their distance, and if not they get fined. It's the normal path, as has been followed by other countries. The UK has come with the same measures yesterday, a bit quicker than I expected, but it all makes sense. And it's what I am expecting to happen in the US as well, despite the words of Trump that in a week or two, businesses will reopen and things will be back to normal. If anyone ever needed a good reason not to vote for the man in November, here it is. All he cares for are businesses, that he is is willingly risking the life of millions of citizens is collateral damage. But, I am not American, so this is my personal opinion and has no weight.

I had my usual daily walk, a short one, maybe 40 minutes, but that's because I met a friend of mine, who I spoke to for a little while. He works in my local, and now that it's shut, we don't see each other. But he lives above the pub and while I passed there, I saw him working on his rooftop balcony, so we had a bit of a chat, which was nice. Friends are important in times like these, which is why I am much more in contact with them via Whatsapp. In normal times it could happen I didn't speak my best friend for weeks, nor message him, but now I send him a message every week. Just to stay in touch.

The second thing I want to mention is something funny. On my walks, I always come by a coffee-shop, and while I never go inside (I don't smoke the stuff), I always talk to the guys at the door. Usually it's just a 'hey, how are you', but nowadays I stop, for they have more time and ask how things are in more detail. But with all the new measures, they have taken an extra one. Thing is, to buy weed, you need to be 18 and to prove you're 18, you need to show ID. And in showing such a card or passport, you are in closer contact with the doormen than the meter and a half recommended. And to prevent sniffy people wanting to buy their stuff coughing in their faces, as of yesterday they are wearing the riot-gear face-masks. It looks incredibly funny, but it's for a very good reason. Good on them, to come up with something like that! They can stay open and make some money!

Twenty-fifth of March 2020, 25-03-2020.

Two Presidents are in the Dutch news again, for reasons beyond belief. And they are the usual suspects. Trump is one, for he has stated that the US should be back up and running, open for business, by Easter. So that the god-fearing part of the nation can all flock to their churches en masse. According to Trump the US will have beaten the virus by that time, despite Cuomo, New York's governor saying that the virus is spreading faster than a bullit-train. You wonder who of those two men will be closer to the truth with what they say. Of course, they could both be right, that something magical happens and the virus disappears as fast as it arrived, but I'm not a man who believes in fairy-tales. Could Trump be saying this because it's still an election year? And that by promising (wishful thinking?) that by Easter all the christians can go to their churches, they will keep voting for him? And would they not vote for him, if Easter passes and the US is still - or even more - in a state of lockdown?

The second President is much, much worse than Trump. For some hard to believe, but it's indeed possible. Our 'friend' Bolsanero from Brazil has spoken again. The whole corona virus, which he earlier called communo-virus, is an invention by the media. To put fear in the good people of the world. If it weren't so damn stupid, you could almost laugh about it. But, luckily for the Brazilians, the state governors are taking measures to try to contain the spread of the virus. I already said that his press officer, who was on tour with Bolsanero in the US had tested positive for the virus, but it's even worse than that. Of the Brazilian delegation that visited Trump at Mar-a-Lago 23 (!!!!!) tested positive upon return.

Also in the Dutch news, a glimmer of hope. It is very early days, but the Dutch equivalent of the CDC has stated that it appears the number of infections is slowing down. These are tested infections. It also seems that the grade of contagiousness is going down to 1, where it has been closer to 3. That grade means that every person who has got the virus, can potentially infect x other people. For reference, the number for measles is 16, one of the most contagious diseases in the world.

I'll keep you posted if this glimmer of hope is continuing, but as always, stay sensible, BMR, stay safe and stay healthy.

Twenty-sixth of March 2020, 26-03-2020.

When it comes to European healthcare, there is much irony to be found in the current pandemic. Irony is not exactly the right word, but for lack of a better one, I will leave it there. Over the past decade or so, a little bit less than that, more and more right-wing governments have aimed to cut down costs for social and cultural spending. Healthcare is a social spending, especially in Europe with its (generally) universal healthcare system. Unlike other countries, such as Belgium and France, the Dutch aren't a people of protest. Usually we accept governmental cost-cutting measures 'easier' than the aforementioned countries. So when doctors and nurses go out on protest, or even on strike, there's something really going on. Same thing in the UK.
In a lot of European countries, doctors and nurses have been hit hard over the past years. And irony, oh irony, they are the ones we rely on the most at the moment. Even to a point that governments are asking those who have retired or moved to other jobs, because their jobs were axed previously, to come back to the healthcare system now and help out.

If there is one lesson to be learnt from this situation, its that general healthcare should be supported with more money, not less and that a universal, general healthcare system is the only that works to reach every inhabitant of a country.

In my extended family/friend circle, I have two people who are working in healthcare. One, the girlfriend of one of my best friends is in her final stages of becoming a GP. They are extremely busy, but mainly with questions from the elderly. And since she hasn't officially qualifed as a GP yet, she is less in the 'fire-line' of the virus, although I am thinking that those lines are blurred at the moment. The lines between who is registered a GP and who would be in a month or two.
The other, my brother's partner, is a surgeon. She has qualified in something really special, and so difficult I couldn't even start to explain. Apart from her, there are only four or five others with the same specialization in the country. She works at the University Hospital in the city they live and because it is outside the first hit province, the hospital had more time to prepare for a big wave of patients. Her 'normal' operatons were brought forward, to free her up aiding for the corona-wave.

They won't ever read this, but I wanted to mention them as heroes, as all people who work in hospitals or hospital-environments are currently. When this is all over or under control, we owe them a lot. More than I can put into words here.

And to help them, there's a few things we can do, stay sensbile, stay safe and stay healthy!

Twenty-seventh of March 2020, 27-03-2020.

I am thinking of writing something else for a change, but it will have to be for the weekend. For today I'm going to keep this short and simple.

The British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested positive. And earlier this week the Crown Prince of the UK as well. And the US is now officially the country with the highest amount of infected people, surpassing China, with the numbers in some places doubling every three days. Think of it what you want.

And as per every day, stay sensbile, stay safe and stay healthy!

Twenty-eighth of March 2020, 28-03-2020

I have mentioned before that I've been RPing for nearly 28 years. And in that time I have written with hundreds of females. Most of those stories were mere attempts to get something going and I have never in my life finished a story. I have no doubt that each and every of the females I have written with are exceptional writers, but that other matters prevented stories to really get going or continue into later stages. Such is life, it seems, although and that is something I have mentioned on site before as well, ghosting seems to be something of current day and age. I have to get over it, but every time it leaves me with an unsatisfied feeling.

But, over the years I have come across a handful of females who were not only exceptional writers, but were amazing people as well. And for me that is important. I highly value OOC conversations, I am genuinely interested in the female I write with, and I love to know what it is they do outside the world of roleplaying. And equally I love to give that kind of stuff to them when they ask about it. It makes me want to invest more in a play if I have a good and solid connection with a female.

I can clearly remember the very first one I wrote with. My English, as you all know my third language, was alright, but by far not on the standard as it is now. She taught me the ropes, explained why I should word certain things in a different way, gave me more insight in the life of a real (and collared) slave and told me how it was to be owned by her husband. But at a certain day, almost without warning, the site moved to become a paid one and we lost contact. To this day I wonder how she is faring, how her life is and if she's still in the world of roleplaying.

For me, to find a female who I truly connect with, where I want to reply as soon as possible, all stems from my experiences with her. She was far from the ideal girl for me, but generally speaking I am always on the search for like-minded female writers. They are a very rare find. A very special breed. And they come few and far between. But when I do find one and both the writing as well as the personal connection matches, it gives me great joy.

They always come from the most unexpected locations. Far away from me, but I have been used to that.. There are very little female writers from the Netherlands or even mainland Europe. Most of the times they are English though, sometimes American. It's strange though, the English ones, I was married to an English girl and after the referendum I moved away from the country. I vowed never to set foot on that island again. And still, when I find someone so special that all I want to do is claim her and hold on to her (figuratively speaking) it turns they're from that same island. Perhaps there's something English girls drink in their tea? That I feel that connection with them? Or perhaps the fact they're English hasn't got anything to do with it and they're just girls that think the same as me.

A very funny thing happened the other day. I found one of those extremely rare ones, and it showed how small the world actually is. She's English, of course, but she lives in the same county as my ex does. I found that funny, someone else might not think so. This new girl, new for me in getting to know her, is really special. We started a story together and it has been a very long time that replies came so quickly. And the story flows naturally, it's such a good match in writing style that it just isn't a coincidence anymore. Her and I were meant to meet to write together. She'll read this. I know she will, but I'm not going to tell you who she is. That's between her and me.

PS. I have two more very exceptional writing partners at the moment, I don't want them to feel left out.

Twenty-ninth of March 2020, 29-03-2020

After a week and a half of fantastic weather, albeit cold, we have clouds again today. And even worse, it's just been hailing a little bit. There's a strong northerly breeze, making it way too cold to go for a long walk. But to stay inside for the whole day isn't good either. Some exercise is good, not only in normal times, but in these strangest of times as well. It's hard to describe what is going on, for literally no-one alive has ever been in a pandemic, knowingly in a pandemic.. Although? There are a few very old people alive. Over 110 years old. And the last pandemic was the Spanish Flu of 1919/1920. So they might remember.

I might have already mentioned it here, but the Spanish Flu is only called that, for it were Spanish scientists who first made mention of it. The Spanish Flu originated in the US, brought there by soldiers returning from the battlefields in Belgium and Northern France. Estimates about the number of casualties range from 20 million to 100 million. We're by far not at those numbers yet and it's highly doubtful we will. Healthcare is at a much higher level as it was 100 years ago and with technology the way it is now, it is much easier for people to work from home and keep their distance.

There was an article on the BBC news-app which looked at how the world looked in 2005 and what if corona had hit then. In the UK alone, broadband was hardly rolled out and a lot of people were still on dial-up connections. Apss like Zoom weren't even thought of and even Facebook was only a local college app. Tele-working, or tele-commuting would have been nigh on impossible. So in a way we're lucky it's now and not fifteen years ago.

There's worrying figures coming out of the US. In the last four days the amount of infected people AND the amount of deaths have doubled. In four days, the US now the country with the highest infections world wide at over 120,000. And in this rate, by next weekend, there'll be half a million infected people.

The only things we individuals can do is to be sensible, to stay safe and stay healthy. Have a good Sunday BMR.

Thirtieth of March 2020, 30-03-2020

I've just been out for my daily walk, but I had coffee at my mum's too. The day started very sunny, but gradually it's gone overcast. There's warmth in the forecast! Yay, spring is arriving. By next Sunday it should be 18, 19C, which are fabulous temperatures for long walks. Next Monday is also the date the first restricting measures run upto, but there's no way it'll end there. I really think they will be extended for the whole of April, and possibly May as well.

This Wednesday, April 1st, would be the birthday of my grandffather on maternal side. The man was born in 1918, so it would have been his 102nd birthday, were it not for the fact he's been dead since 1996. My grandparents, none of them, have reached a high age, he was the oldest of the four at dying, with his 78 years. But I guess for when they were born, in the 1910s (all of them), a life expectancy of 78 was good going. The first to die, in 1978, was my father's father. He told his wife he wasn't feeling well, sat down and was dead. Literally in that time-span. We had seen him two days prior on Saturday, and on the Sunday-morning went on holiday to southern France, something that always took us a day and a half. And my dad was putting up the tent, when there was an announcement on the camping's speaker-system, that there was a telephone call for us. My dad immediately knew something was wrong.

How different are the times nowadays, if you're wherever in the world, you're reachable on your own mobile phone, and in times like these, you can arrange everything on the same phone. But I am not a person to say that things used to be better, or that they are better now. We live in current day and age and have to deal with the situation. I'm amazed how many people are bored these days, because they cannot physically be with their friends, in the pub for instance, or in the gym. If that's what your whole life is about, there's time to reflect on what you have achieved. The ironic thing, and I might have mentioned that already, is that for me it's all the same. I read some, I write some and that's my day gone. Boredom? What's that? Feeling lonely? Never. If you cannot entertain yourself, why think you can entertain others? Similar to, if you can't love yourself, why think to love others?

We've not seen the worst of this crisis yet, not by far. It will really go worse before it will get better. And so, BMR, stay sensible, stay safe and stay healthy.

Thirty-first of March 2020, 31-03-2020

Some interesting statistics were published in The Netherlands yesterday about the corona patients. And while they are specifically for here, it is interesting to know what those percentages will be in other countries. They cannot be 'translated' directly, as each country has different demographics. For instance, over here it's very normal to live alone, whereas in Italy whole family-groups live together in one house.

As expected, people over 60 are more likely to be taken to hospital, but strangely enough people above 80 are less likely to end up in hospital. I have to make a big remark with that. In several countries in Europe, hospitals and doctors don't look at age or expectancy on recovery. They will put everyone on an ICU. Over here there is different kind of care. If there is no chance on recovery, people are less likely to end up on an ICU. Our healthcare system works differently, but the vast majority of our inhabitants agrees to it.
And although younger people are less likely to catch COVID19, they too can die. I have heard that a toddler died of it and last week a 16 yo girl in France died.

Surprising probably for some, men are more likely to end up in hospital and to die. 62.5% v 37.5% women. You'd expect it to be more 50/50, but then men are much more likely to die from carbon monoxide. Don't ask me why, I'm not a doctor or scientist. And with other, comparable viruses, men were also more likely to end up sick.

The biggest surprise, at first glance, was that between 2/3ds and 4/5th of all patients ending up in ICU were obese. That is a huge percentage, catch the virus when you're obese and you're more than likely to end up in ICU and possibly die. The explanation given was that obese people often have underlying diseases such as diabetes type 2 and it's the combination of obesity and underlying diseases that is the killer.
Because, of all patients dying in The Netherlands, 60% (59.7) has such an underlying disease.

Like I said, these figures are solely from here, and can in no way be taken or interpreted for another country.

And for all of us, stay sensbile, stay safe and stay healthy! And go for a daily walk, to get some fresh air.

First of April 2020, 01-04-2020.

In these days of seemingly endless doom and gloom, I want to write a little tale of hope.

End of May 2016, during a Belgian cycling event, a five stage Tour, on the penultimate day there was a heavy accident in the bunch of riders. Two motards wanted to overtake the bunch, but crashed and launched their motors through the bunch. The main victim in the bunch was a young Flemish cyclist called Stig Broeckx. At the time of the crash he was 26 and after the crash he was taken to hospital and almost immediately fell into a coma. On a first PET-scan, a scan that records brain activity by showing red as said activity, Stig's scan had ONE SINGLE RED DOT. Just the one, a very minute sign that he wasn't completely brain-dead, but there was little hope of him surviving his coma.

Over the course of the next half year there was little or no news, but in December of 2016, the team-doctor of the Belgian team Stig was under contract, reported the amazing news that he had woken up from his coma. And often that's the end of it, people who wake up from such a long coma are left alone to do their recovery process. But Stig was a very talented cyclists and his parents were asked if a documentary could be made about his road to recovery. If that would happen, because at that point nobody had any idea.

That documentary was shown on Belgian TV last night and it is one of the most unbelievable documentaries I have ever seen. Not only for the outcome, Stig has recovered in a way nobody held possible, but that will come later. The documentary is a piece of art, where the interviewer, the man who has been with the family throughout the process keeps himself back, out of the picture most of the time, focussing on Stig's parents first and later on him.

Late on in the documentary, Stig explained that waking up from a coma is like being born again. You don't know anything, simple things as brushing your teeth or knowing words, it's all gone. And over the course of three years, Stig moved ahead with his progress. Some times with really large steps, other times taking weeks to get to a next level. His parents were told, in the beginning that he would never be able to ride a bike again, not even a trike, That he would never be able to walk, that it would be a miracle if he ever would understand a thing and that they needed to be prepared to have him in a home. But the boy is a fighter as I have never seen one. Not only did he get to walk, he got to talk, he got to cycle, on a racing bike, just like the one when he was a professional cyclist. Of course, he knew and knows that those days are over, but he has proven every single doctor wrong. And in a way that his recovery process is being made in a medical case for study material.

The documentary ends with three significant things. First, a letter from the Belgian Paralympic Committee, if he has considered to become a Paralympian. And he denies that chance, saying he is not limited enough. Second, a visit to the Tour de France of 2019, where he is greeted by his former colleagues, some who were in the same crash, but escaped severe injury. And finally a return visit to the place of the accident. To the exact tree where he was receiving CPR and you could see his legs in a very peculiar way. Where you knew, this is wrong and very wrong. And what does the boy do, when he returns there for the very first time, three years after the crash. He takes a selfie!!! I kid you not. He takes a selfie with that same tree as back-ground. But not just that selfie, because he gets on a mountain-bike and cycles that same stretch of road, all by himself, only followed by the camera.

Amazing, unbelievable. Fabulous!

For all of us though, just like every day, stay sensible, stay safe and stay healthy.

Second of April 2020, 02-04-2020

I'm thinking of writing some stuff about boredom, about kids *wanting* to go back to school. Who'd have thought those days would come. But the words aren't quite in my head yet, so it'll be an entry for tomorrow or during the weekend.

For now I'm keeping this short. Death-toll in the US is rising rapdily, already the fourth highest official toll. But it won't be another week before there'll be more deaths in the US than anywhere else in the world. To me it shows just one thing, the US healthcare system, or lack thereof more precisely, has totally and utterly failed. Too many Americans without access to any form of healthcare. And it's those people who will most likely not report to any hospital when they are ill, for they are afraid of getting a bill they'll never be able to pay.
If the death-toll reaches the 200K mark, as some experts have calculated, I sincerely hope that eyes will be opened and people will realize that things have to change drastically.

But for all of you, wherever you are, stay sensible, stay safe and stay healthy.

Third of April 2020, 03-04-2020.

Whenever in my mornings I log on to BMR, usually around 7am, there are two threads I go to first. The Roleplay Requests by Females, to see if there are new threads or threads I missed, to possibly approach someone in order to plot and hopefully reach common ground so a play can be started. Most individual threads I only need the title to know there's no use even reading it, because of the specific requests the title gives away. But every now and then an interesting title pops up and I'll open that thread to see if i can find things that appeal to me.

The second thread I read is this one, Journals, Absences and Apologies. It was an entry here (I have already written about that), which made me start my own daily thoughts and scribbles. But when I started on January 30th, I had no idea about the times ahead. Corona was still a thing in China and South Korea. My first entry was a bit about myself and the way I write. How different my entries have been the past month and a bit.

I read every new entry in every journal that pops up. I have no idea how many people read my journal, I know of one, it could be more, but that's not really why I write this. Of course, to know that I have a large following would boost my ego somewhat, it still isn't that important if I have only one reader or dozens. These are my thoughts and scribbles and that's that. Of the other journals, some are mere apologies, some are about characters and plays, some are similar to mine and some are more of the discussing and showing kind.

That last category is in my personal opinion far more interesting to visit and read than the things I scribble down here, so I can very well understand that not many people come here. I want to take this opportunity to compliment four people with their thread, for the enjoyment, pleasure and inspiration they sometimes give me.
These four people are: @Captain, @Garf23, @FunBrooke and @MissLidia. To all four, thank you. I don't post (much) in your threads, but they are all appreciated! (If either wishes to reach out, please do so by PM, I wish to keep this thread for my own sribbles, thank you)

Something else, to finish today's entry with, there's sunshine and warm weather in the forecast here, and I am fearing a lot of people will flock to parks and beaches. I wish they would listen and stay home, or at least keep to their gardens.
Because, as always, stay sensbile, stay safe and stay healthy!

Fourth of April 2020, 04-03-2020

I could have easily not put in an entry, but since I've written something every day, I'll do it today as well, even though I'm totaly not in the mood for writing. Had a late night last night and way too little sleep. So I'm just in a blergh mood. Not wanting to do anything. Which, apart from shopping early this morning, I'm succeeding in quite well. And it's what I'll be doing the rest of the day.

So, stay sensible, stay safe and stay healthy.

Fifth of April 2020, 05-04-2020

The Sunday before Easter, today, would have been the day of the High Mass of Belgian cycling. The Tour of Flandres, with a lot of stretches of cobble-stones (but not as much as in Paris-Roubaix), and a lot of short little hills. A kilometer or two uphill doesn't sound much, but with stretches of 12% up, they're hard. And the total length of the Tour is around 255km. So it's the combination of all these things that make the Tour both one of the hardest one-day races as one of the most beautiful.

But in times of lockdown and corona virus, nothing is the same, and sports - any sports for that matter - is the very last thing that can be held out in the open. And so professional sports people are trying to find ways to keep themselves occupied. There's been a toilet-roll challenge among football players and golfers, F1 and other drivers (and a few strangers) have been holding virtual races and the Tour of Switzerland will next month be held online as well.

And so it was set up that The High Mass was cycled today. Between 13 riders of various professional teams. All in their homes (or houses the reside at the moment) on home-trainers, broadcasted live on Belgian national TV. Not the full distance of 257km, but a computerized stretch of 32 kms. 45 minutes of good fun to watch and with a winner who could be expected, the Olympic champion of Rio 2016. Who, as it is turning out now (together with all Olympic Champions of Rio) will be holding that title for five years, instead of four.

It's really good that TV broadcasters embrace these kind of things, for the step from virtual races to E-sports now is just a small one. Broadcast a League of Legends competition on national TV and you've got all youth glued to the TV, instead of Youtube.

For the rest of us, 'normal people', stay sensbile, stay safe and stay healthy.

Sixth of April 2020, 06-04-2020.

In current times people learn a lot about themselves. How to keep yourself occupied at home, for instance. Or how to keep some peace with your partner when you both have to stay at home. Or yourself, your partner and your kids. But since the second and third aren't applicable to me personally, I live alone, I will talk a little bit about how to keep yourself busy/occupied.

Due to circumstances I am unemployed and have been since my return from abroad, nearly four years ago. So, for the past four years my days have been going in roughly the same manner. I read a lot, I write some, I go for regular walks and I watch some TV. For me personally not much has changed with the introduction of the Dutch version of the lockdown. The main thing is that I cannot meet up with others.
But I hear, from quite a few people around me, that not seeing their friends is the most difficult thing. And that surprises me. To me it means that you cannot live with yourself. That you feel that having no company at all, your life isn't worth much.

There was an article in a Dutch newspaper the other day, of a biologist who has been kidnapped a while ago. In some obscure former Soviet Union country he was taken and held captive for over 2 years. Two years in solitude, with the only company your kidnappers. And although it's not even close to being comparable, for we all have our smartphones and can do video messaging, facetiming and whatnot, to keep in touch with others, there are similarities. Because you have to be able to live with yourself. To go from one event to the next in your head. Is it someone's birthday that you know? You celebrate it in your head. Do you miss the city you live, because you cannot physically be there, or are forbidden to go out, take a vritual walk. Get out of the front door and walk in your head to your favourite place.

Read, pick up a book, write. Do your work. Call your friends. How on earth can anyone be bored in this day and age.

For some strange reason, now people have more time to RP, replies are lasting longer. I don't get that. But it must be me, no doubt.

Until it gets better though, stay sensible, stay safe and stay healthy.

Seventh of April 2020, 07-04-2020.

I've mentioned here on a few occasions that even though countries roughly use the same data, the interpretation they give to those data is different. And that difference results in a different approach to the virus, mainly by the governments. We have of course the sceptics, Trump, Bolsanero, those men, on one end of the scale, and the leaders of countries like South Korea, Italy and Spain on the other end of the scale. And everything in between.
Each country follows a slightly different trajectory in how to tackle the virus, very often based on country demographics. In the North of Europe it's not as common for whole family groups to be living together like it is in the South of Europe. Or the fact that Japan has an older average population.

Another basis on how to tackle the virus is the confidence governmental leaders have in their population. One such governmental leaders is the prime minister of the UK, Boris Johnson. The UK has been late installing stricter measures, compared to the rest of Europe, at the start and earlier weeks, when countries like Italy, Denmark and Austria were already in full lockdown. The UK government only gave the 'advice' to avoid pubs and restaurants, large gatherings etcetera. And the daily/weekly Cabinet meetings went ahead as per normal. Business as usual as they love to call it in the UK.

It took Johnson et al a couple of weeks to get to grasp with the situation, for the number of infected people and deaths only slowly crept up. The minister for Health (oh irony) was the first to be infected, and still nothing noteworthy was done. No lockdown, no pub-closures. And then the amounts for London started going rising. Onto the sleep upwards slope, which caused a little stir and eventually stricter measures.

But Johnson kept saying that he had full faith in the British public to follow governmental advice, keep their distance, wash their hands etcetera. Mind you, these are the same Brits that on holidays very often are the shame of the country. Just listen to stories from places like Ibiza, Malia on Crete, Amsterdam or Prague and you'll hear how well the Brits are behaving.

And then, about ten days ago, news came that Johnson himself had tested positive. But, in his own words, he was in good spirits, working from home and it was business as (almost) usual. A few days later, his fiancée (who is also pregnant) tested positive too, but where Johnson is 55 and quite overweight, his girlfriend is much younger. Last Sunday at 11pm local time, there was a sudden newsflash that Johnson had been admitted to hospital, for 'routine tests'. And while that is pretty normal, to be admitted at such a late time on a Sunday, it doesn't really add up to the routine testing. Something that became clear yesterday (Monday afternoon), when the British PM was transferred to IC, for persistent virus complaints. Oxygen had been administered, but he seems not to be on a ventilator (as far as we know).

And then today, the next government minister, Michael Gove has tested positive as well.

Definitely not business as usual anymore. In the midst of the biggest crisis since WW2, the British government is almost completely out of business. I am not going to conclude it's because of their lax reaction to what was going on in the rest of the world. It could be a coincidence. But apart from a few isolated incidents in other governments, the British one is hardest hit.

For the rest of us though, as always, stay sensbile, stay safe and stay healthy. And try, if you are allowed, to enjoy the outdoors a little bit.

Eighth of April 2020, 08-04-2020.

A hundred years ago, in 1920, Eindhoven (the city I live) in its current form was formed by the annexation of five villages surrounding the centered village of Eindhoven. After getting city rights in 1232, it had remained a very small city for hundreds of years, inhabiting 6,500 people right before the annexation. But with the founding of Philips Lightbulbs in 1891, Eindhoven needed more space to house the Philips workers, who flocked here from everywhere in the country.

In a hundred years Eindhoven has grown from the mentioned 6,500 people to 231,000 now and has always been expanding. Where I was born, at the time of my birth was part of a different village, but became Eindhoven a few years after. Near Eindhoven Airport a complete new part was built and there's still more space needed to house all new people coming here. Eindhoven is one of the most internationally orientated cities, but not for Philips these days. The biggest employer in the region is ASML, world-leader in chips. Or rather, in building machines that can produce computer-chips.

And even now we are the fifth largest city in the Netherlads, Eindhoven still has the feel of a village. No matter we have a few high-rise towers in the city center, once you come here for the first time, you don't get the feeling we're a big city.

Today is the eighth, and the Dutch number for eight is acht. There is also a small part of Eindhoven, on the way north, which is called Acht. It still has the feel of a small village, like so many parts of Eindhoven. And it is reached by public transport (bus), which has line number 8. I know, it seems like someone made a joke about it, the bus to the part called Eight has line number eight.

Anyway, nothing much else to report, so for you all, stay sensible, stay safe and stay healthy.

Ninth of April 2020, 09-04-2020.

Every once in a while, you come across someone, for instance via an RT, and after doing a little bit of plotting, it turns out you have quite a few things in common with said person. I am in the very lucky position to have met a few such people here on BMR, with whom I talk quite a bit. But all those people are far away in absolute distance. Yet, in current day and age, with social distancing, absolute distance doesn't matter.

I've mentioned before, in various places, that I have been doing this kind of fun, RPing, for over 25 years. And although I know that some people form bonds for life, and write story after story with the same partner, I have never been so lucky. In all those years, I have met people from across the globe, but the ones from my own country I can count on the fingers of one hand. And even more, up to this week, I had never written with a Dutch girl. Ever.

So, to meet one, and then to be able to plot something good together for a play to start, is very unique for me. There's a few more things that are unique, but out of respect I am not mentioning them here. She will know what I mean, when she reads this.
I've got a really good feeling about this play and I know that it is mutual. So hopefully, her and I are going to make this into one hell of a story!

As per every day, BMR. Stay sensbile, stay safe and stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom