Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Cowgirls and Soldiers (Ravenofpoe and Shadow Wolf)

“ Why did you run away? I’m being abused, you don’t even care. Forget I ever asked, good night.” Lexi rolled her eyes, walked into the house smelling her husbands cigar she walked into his office with her head down. Her heart was racing, her nerves were getting the best of her, the abuse had been going on for awhile. First it was verbal abuse, then things started getting physical. Her parents had no idea because they were living in Florida , Jonah always put on a good show around them so they thought he was husband of the year.

With his head down an old fire burned red. A small voice spoke up then a memory of what he once was, you done lived up to that nickname. Artic because you are as cold as can be. He walked back to his room and tossed things from his bed before looking at the mirror. He saw a coward there watching him and with a straight punch the glass shattered send glass all over the floor and into his knuckles. He bandaged the worst of it and went to bed where old dreams laid in wait to mix with new nightmares. Welcome home solider boy.

~*~​

He watched her as she came in and smiled. “I told you he was no good. Your father right he would not be there when you needed him. Gently he raised her chin to look at her. He stared with hatred into those eyes once defiant but now eager to not upset him. “What did you tell him? You wanted to jump into bed and let him take you to sand land. I bet he is only home because he did something terrible and was tossed out. A failure like his father.” With a quickness he slapped her across the face the noise muffled by the office but still quite loud. “Stay away from Lucian or I will kill everything you hold dear. I know people that can make his life and yours very difficult.”

“ I understand, I’m going to bed. “ Lexi left her husbands office with her hand on her cheek, looked at her son who was obviously still up. “ Don’t tell your uncle will it’s bad enough as it is.” With tears streaming down her face she went up to her room, threw a picture down on the floor. It was a picture of her with will, lucian from when they were in high school. Burying her head into her pillow she hugged it to her chest, cried herself to sleep wishing she could die. everybody in town thought Jonah was such a good husband, had no idea what happened behind closed doors.

The next morning his hand hurt and his head was screaming from lack of good sleep. Stripping to his shorts he pulled on a pair of tennis shoes and the shirt had his name across the back. With a text to will he said he would be at the high school working out unless the rules changed. Picking up his iPod and ear buds. He ran to the gym in good time looked at the heavy bag. He wanted to do his workout but he suspected glass still embedded in his hand. Starting his playlist, he fell into the weights and felt the tension from last night fuel his rage. I’m being abused and you don’t care. He cared but was it his place.

Tyler hadn’t listened to his mother because now he knew the man that had raised him wasn’t such a good man, he’d sent a text to his uncle will then got himself ready for school. He walked out letting his mom sleep, headed to school so he could do some lifting. His music was playing in one ear, he entered the weight room to see the man that had left his mother behind. Everything his father had said about his grandfather, his name sake had really struck a cord. He started punching the bag that had been hung up, cursed to himself wishing he could do something to save his mother. Memories of the verbal abuse she endured when he was still just a child haunted him, he hoped his uncle would meet him because something had to be done or he’d lose his mom to a sick man.

He sat up and checked he is watch. Heart rate was more elevated and his hand felt better. HE saw Tyler and popped the earbud out catching his breath. “You’ll break your hand doing that without a glove or wrapping.” He stretched his shirt sleeve raising revealing a grey washed tattoo as he rose and grabbed a pair of wrapping from the cabinet. Technique is better than power. You can hall out and sucker punch but once the surprise is gone you hit wrong and break your hand or wrist you’ll be at a major disadvantage.” He offered the wraps and went to the leg press setting the load he wanted and began to work his legs.

“ Thanks....” Tyler mouthed as he wrapped his hand, went back to punching the bag. He was angry with two people, one of them had just saved him from breaking his hand the other one was the man that had raised him. “ He slapped her last night after you left. I don’t care what you went through but my mom needs you to give a damn.” He said as he punched the bag imaging his fathers face, what had been said to his mother if she didn’t listen to his dad.

Racking the leg press after a set he jumped up and stretched before starting pushups. “He is not that stupid. He knows a storm will come down here faster if that was the case.” He made a note to watch her from afar and keep an eye out. “Who taught you how-to long-distance shoot? That was an impressive shot last night.”

“ My grandfather, uncle will. He puts on a show when around people, if you saw the bruise he left on her arm last week. Something he said to her last
really pissed me off. He called you, my grandfather cowards. Then said he’d have anyone close to her killed if she didn’t stay away, it’s been happening ever since I can remember.” Tyler said as he punched the bag, sighed looking at his watch. He had enough time to change for classes but that was it, he hoped his mom was okay because she usually had breakfast for him but nothing this morning.

“Of course, dad did. He was a marine Corp sniper during Vietnam.” He waved and cut his own music off. “Enjoy your day kid.” Standing he let the coward comment slide in his noggin before his phone rang. It was a dc area code. “Hell. What wait. Someone requested my file?” He walked out and saw William and went passed him with a nod. “Did they get the redacted one or the full file? Interesting. Thank you.” He hung up and sat on the fence watching kids arrive for class. “My file is behind two firewalls and a top security clearance. Strange.” He got up and went home to change busy day on his land he had to meet with the lawyer and go in the basement.

Tyler nodded as he got himself changed for his classes, walked to his home room. Taking a seat he leaned back with a sigh, watched over students walk in. Lexi stayed in the house even though her husband was at work she didn’t want to risk losing anyone she cared about especially her son, she watched from the kitchen window but made sure he couldn’t see her. She wanted his comfort, she wanted him to tell her she was safe. It didn’t take a genius to see that she was struggling emotionally, nobody wanted to listen to her except will but that’s how she’d ended up with the bruises on her arm. Her eyes were still red from crying the night before, she didn’t really feel like risking lives to hug him.

Once he signed the papers, he saw her house next door and saw just her truck. HE took the walk then a jog up to her door and knocked. His heart racing as he waited for her. He saw a strange vehicle on the road and ducked behind something to hide. His eyes watched as the car kept driving past. Paranoia was not good in this moment and he pushed it away. HE was about to walk back to his land if the door didn’t open. How was fifteen-year-old braver than he had been last night.

Alexis sighed as she left the kitchen , walked toward the door. “ What are you doing? If he knows you’ve been here he’ll kill everyone close to me. “ She crosses her arms, looked at him pulling down her sleeve as she chewed on her lower lip. Her heart melted, her stomach knotted because she had never stopped living him. Waiting for his answer she huffed as if she was in a hurry to get her chores done so she could start on supper, maybe take a nap since she’d barely slept the night before.

“Yeah no he isn’t that stupid to start a war. I think he is going to be quite pissed when he gets home tonight regardless.” He stared at her and lifter her chin with his hand softly. “Don’t let him make you feel powerless. Remember you were the state barrel racer champion our senior year. You do not get that by letting a bully win.” He pulled his wallet out and pulled two cards on the back of the first he wrote a number. “If you think he is going to do anything call this number and tell Col. Lindsay you are using a favor. Tell him to code black.” He glanced around as he gave her the card that was simply the business card for his base where his old boss was. As he pressed the card in her hand he kissed her softly. “Ill fix this.”

“ Wow I haven’t ridden a horse in years, he scares me. Thanks I’ll put this somewhere safe.” lexi said feeling his lips press against hers she felt her heart skip a beat, she wanted to kiss him back but the scared woman inside her head told her not to. “ I’ve gotta get back to my chores, maybe I’ll see you around.” She headed back inside, hid the business card then went back to her household chores starting with the dirty laundry. once it was all in the wash she sighed, looked at the time. It was still early, she needed to find her inner cowgirl. She grabbed her keys, jumped into her truck then drove to the stables. Paying for a couple of hours she saddled up her favorite horse, rode off into the woods stopping at the clearing where they all used to hang out.

Lucian went back to his property and found a path that led to the back fields. He had no idea what he was going to do with this land. As he walked back to town, he was stopped by a very large gentleman wearing a pistol on his hip. Two others stepped behind him. “Oh, you must be the we come committee.” The first nodded and said, “Boss said to make sure you get the message stay away from what is his.” With that the two grabbed him and held him. Lucian having done this dance before kicked the big man as his legs came up off the ground. Then dropping low to catch the other two off guard jumped up to break their hold. “That’s not good. Three on two. He hit the first with his bad hand wincing and the other came at him he held out his leg to trip him. The fight nearly spilled out of hand till people started popping out to see the commotion.

Once she cleared her head she took the horse back to the stables, headed back into town. Walking into her husbands office she slammed her fist down in his desk, looked him straight in the eye. ” I want a divorce! I’m done being your wife, slave. Your can have my parents house, the property. Oh wait you already have that, that’s why their living in Florida enjoying themselves. You can’t control me Jonah, I know damn well you don’t love me or Tyler.” There it was the inner cowgirl she’d been hiding, no one would tell her what to do. She could rope, she could shoot hell she could even throw a punch. Before Jonah could say anything she threw a punch straight to the side of his nose, put her rings on his desk. She walked out feeling more confident, placed her hand on the side of lucian’s face finally kissing him back then pulled away.

Lucian watched shocked then followed and said, Are you silly? You know he is not going to take that laying down.”

~*~​

Jonah sat there reading over his latest reports when his wife burst in and demanded something. He was in shock and thought he had beat that out of her. When she hit him and walked out kissing the solider, he glared. Adjusting himself he thought how to spin this. Reputations on the line. On the fall wall was the county line marker red areas showed what he owned. There were very few parcels he didn’t own. HE went to his phone and dialed the police and said, “I need to report a domestic battery. My wife is very unhinged of late and I’m sad to say has been beating me and my son. I thought I could handle it.”

“ I know but will knows who I am, the police won’t do shit. He knows the truth, you owe me lunch. I’m starving.” Alexis said knowing what her husband would do but she also knew every police officer on the force, they’d all seen her demeanor as of late so being told she was abusive wouldn’t sit right especially when the sheriff knew the real abuser was her husband. He had everyone fooled, she had he bruises to prove it heck even the mark across her cheek said otherwise.

Lucian smiled taking her hand leading her into saints. On the table near the window is a note with a blue print roll. “Ah that was quicker than I thought. He ordered a meal for them and watched her. “Why did you do that if they come for you, I can’t do what I was trained to do.” He took her hand, “I don’t want anything to happen to you or Tyler.” He tapped the plans. “I wanted to slowly enter your life you telling me everything though and Tyler telling me he was hitting you kind of speeds up the plans.”

“ It won’t, we’ll have the life we were meant to have. Tyler is your son, is more like you then I’d like to admit. He wants to enlist when he‘s eighteen, since it runs in his blood I don’t blame him. He plans on going to West Point, everything. “ Lexi said as she caressed his hand with her thumb, felt like a teenager again. She‘d missed him, now that she knew she could have told him sooner she wished she had. Tyler got out of school, met them at the cafe ordering a shake he pulled up a chair, smiled. “ Its about time.”

He smiled at the kid and sipped his tea. He tapped the plans. "Now that the property is mine, i had will dig up these from the planning office. They are the original blueprints to my great grandfather's home. Just need an update with a more modern take on the internals.” HE looked at tyler when he sat down. “West point is a good start for a career. Long as you stay away from special Operations after you graduate.”

“ Yeah... don’t plan on it. A classmate of mine‘s dad just got Stop lossed recently, he had all the paperwork signed to resign but was disapproved. My buddy’s having a hard time with it.” Tyler said ordering a sweet tea for himself, he‘d just snatch food off his mom’s plate once she got it. He paused his music, took out his earbuds to be more respectful to his mom. Lexi listened, smiled she remembered the property he was talking about.

“The problem I face is a little more complex than a simple Stop loss order. I won’t be free of the contract for close to a year.” Lucian smiled thinking of that day but then again knew something was bound to pop up. Even if the contract came up he would still be called for ops that required his special touch. Looking at her he smiled again. I need to get my house in order I am happy you’ll be there to help me.”

“ You have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that. I have plenty of home videos, technically the deed to my parents house is in my name so I could have Jonah banned from the property because the deed is in my name. It was never signed over, I have plenty of home videos of our son’s first words etc.” lexi said as she watched her son blush, eye the waitress that brought out his mother’s food. He’d liked Kylie for awhile but didn’t really know how to approach her, she was only a couple years older then he was. The waitress sat down the plates, gave Tyler her number as she set down his tea, smiled at him as she walked away from them.

Back
Top Bottom