Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Cowgirls and Soldiers (Ravenofpoe and Shadow Wolf)

Ravenofpoe

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore."
Lucian Ravencroft stepped off the bus and pulled his ball cap down in the scorching sun. With a wave he walked to his bag and tossed it over his shoulder. Bell Colorado has stepped up with its own Bus Stop. Stretching he pulled on his sun glasses on and started down the street. It felt good to be home after fifteen years. Fifteen long years. Walking down the main street his icy blue eyes watched stores and nostalgia was being washed out by the changes.

To be fair he kept up on the times with William Walker his best friend. The sheriff had sent him letters telling him what had closed but seeing it now he was saddened. He remembered going to the arcade when his dad gave him a break from farm work. That was gone replaced by a gun store. Not unusual in the states but still a shock as he saw there were two on the same street. He kept moving not his concern at the moment though. What was a concern was food. The bus left Denver and he hadn’t eaten anything but a salad at the one before that. Stopping outside another old stopping Ground he smiled.

Saints Family Restaurant was owned by Nicole Saint Walker. His best friend wife who had made some modernization to her grandfather’s design. Outside the white building were benches that when growing up were filled after the football games with customers waiting to get a seat. The chalkboard showed the specials still in flowing script proclaiming the heaven and hell burger was on sale. That was new. Another new item. No weapons unless wearing a badge. That was odd. He didn’t have a gun yet it was order with the rest of his things. Hell, he was waiting on his truck. Everything had to be delivered via favors.

Entering he looked around the semi busy lunch rush as waitress moved. One thing that hadn’t changed was the Bullshit table of old men drinking coffee and eating lunch complaining about politics and local business. A few faces were still there from the last time he was home. Older but still there. A few nodded about something and one watched the new comer. He nudged his buddy next to him as Lucian made his way to the booth and once the waitress by name of Cindy took his order for the daily special with he sweet tea he twitted his thumbs and waited for William.

Alexis Strawbridge formerly Morrow walked into the diner wearing her usual jeans with tank top, flannel tied at the belly. For a woman with a fifteen year old son she looked good, she didn’t bother to notice him at first but when she got closer to the counter to pick up het order she smiled giving him a wave. “ Order for strawbridge. “ The redhead said as she sat down waiting for her order, casually glanced in his direction. She couldn’t believe he was home, she’d married the wrong man of course it was more out of necessity. seeing her old boyfriend stirred up a lot of different feelings, it was mainly because her son was his. After picking up her order she waved at him again, headed back out to her truck.

Climbing in she set the food on the seat next to her then headed back to her house, figured she’d see him at the welcome home party later on. She’d have her son with her, wondered how she would introduce him to his father. Pulling into her driveway she turned off her truck, climbed out grabbing the food she closed the door. Heading inside she set it on the kitchen table, grabbed plates and glasses then started setting out the food.

Lucian watched and smiled back with a nod as the sheriff walked in taking off his hat and sitting across from him. “Here I was going to have lunch when I get a phone call a strange man walks in to Saints looking like he might be up to no good.” William gave a wave to girl behind the bar and mimed something about food. “Then I get another that ghost is walking about. Something about William Ravencroft is up and walking the earth. Ridiculous as I was there when we put him in the ground.”

Lucian sipped his tea and then said, “Done ranting. It could be worse I could have come in talking Arabic. That is always fun in the south by the way. Did it in Georgia after a run and got tossed out.” That was true though he knew two forms of Arabic and was passible in some other dialects. He was better at talking than he wanted to admit. “Sides I warned you I was coming. I shaved the beard once I hit state side.” Lucian has no accent what once was a soft southern drawl had disappeared after being turned into a sand jokey. “What is with the get up little formal for meeting an old friend.”

William got his order a usual by the looks of it of fries and a cheeseburger. He was done up in Class A uniform. Crisp and sharp creases ran his length of the arms. “Had deliver bad news today. I do it in full get up. I will not tell people they are being evicted in my polo and be cavalier with such news.” The two men ate in silence and William slid him a set of keys. “Apartment is upstairs I thought you were coming with a truck and your things?”

“Would have been a week longer. I got out and off base soon as my review was over and they decided to cut me a break and not toss me into a court martial.” Lucian said it softly it was not something he needed around town.

“So where is the thing? I wanted to shoot it.”

“Those are coming with the truck. I didn’t feel like doing the massive amount of paperwork to tote them on the bus. Sides I saw two, gun stores in town just borrow one and ill buy the ammo if you like.”

“Deal.” With that the old friends finished lunch. Lucian Tipped and went to his room above the restaurant falling in bed. HE wasn’t keen on the party but he better sleep because he had promised to show the sniper rifle off. Drifting he saw darkness and then smelled sand. Then the screams began.

Alexis, her family ate their lunch, she worked on the dishes she had planned on taking to the party. “ Whats on your mind Tyler? You barely touched your food, your father was watching. “ The redhead knew her son’s body language, emotions like the back of her hand, he was a lot like his biological father. She handed him a few potatoes to peal so she could make her famous potato salad, waited for him to answer her question. Her husband the man that had helped her raise him wasn’t his father, she knew that but he’d called him that when he said his first words. “ You can tell me, I’ll take you to the party tonight even if it is a school night you deserve to know him, hopefully you can bound.”

"Nothing“Nothing just conflicted. Why should I meet someone never been in my life before? I don’t even know why you told me.” He peeled the potatoes and wanted away from this conversation. His mom thought bonding with a stranger was good idea. He wasn’t sure though. He did like the idea of staying out late though. “Why are we going to the party of some guy who just left town and abandoned you?”

“ Because your uncle William asked us too. He deserves to know you baby, he didn’t abandon me. I’m sure if he’d known I was pregnant before he left things would have been different, I know William isn’t your uncle but he‘s been like a brother to me since I was a girl. Besides I’m not in the mood to listen to your father rant on about property dealings for the umpteenth time.” Alexis said as she peeled potato’s herself, put them in the pan so she could boil them. Then she’d make the dressing, work on desert which was something else she’d made before. Then there was lemonade, tea already made so she didn’t have to worry about that. Desert was a peach berry cobbler she’d made the last time she’d spent with him before he left, she was quite nervous as it had been fifteen years since she’d actually spoken to him.

“Yeah Uncle Will said he was going to get to shoot some rifle he’s been dying to shoot for ages now. I still do not like it mom. Besides dad says in a year he will have all the land bought up around here for that private company he’s been working with. He showed me where the new county lines were going to be and everything. Not as exciting as shooting but Grandpa says Dad knows how to build a fortune.” He helped his mom still conflicted as he went to get ready for the party and to meet this stranger. He refused to call him dad. His real dad was in his study on the phone making deals to change the town.

Alexis finished making the potato salad after the potato’s had cooled made her desert, got herself dressed. She picked up her purse, grabbed the picnic basket. Grab the lemonade, the tea please. I‘ll be outside in the truck. “ Smiling at her son she grabbed her keys, walked out to the truck setting the picnic basket in the back. She sent will a text telling him she was nervous as hell, didn’t know how it would go when introduced Tyler to the man that had abandoned her. Her husband was her son’s father weather she wanted to admit it or not but at the same time she’d barely been touched after her wedding, her son was born aside from a kiss every now and then. She’d been told early on he didn’t want children so she’d been put on the pill after Tyler was born, wanted another child despite being in her mid thirties all she had to do was stop taking the pill. Seeing Lucian after all these years scared her, she didn’t know how he’d react to learning he’d missed watching his son grow up.

Lucian Awoke drenched in sweat heart racing hearing the sound of bad dreams and memories in his head. He panted and slowed his breathing as best he could. That was a bad one. What had doc said, don’t do anything to agitate the memory. You are stable but if you need to talk just call. Bullshit. He didn’t need to talk to the shrink he was being mandated to see the VA monthly as is.

Swinging out of his bed he stripped to his dog tags and showered. Changing to a black t-shirt and blue jeans he sighed putting on the boots. Will had offered to buy him some cowboy boots like he had in high school. He didn’t tell will after so long in the Army these were the only shoes he liked. In the bottom of his duffel bag was the scope from his rifle and a tool kit. He took them without second thought.

Getting directions, he walked to Wills house. It was not far outside town and he didn’t have his truck yet. As he neared, he saw so many people and leaned against the fence railing near the mail box. He closed his eyes and tried to put the mask on. Show he was normal that he was home and whole. Find something to go to. Something that calms you. It didn’t take long as he saw her smile and wave. Still as pretty as the day he met her. Finally calm he came down the drive and was mobbed by will and Nicole. “Appreciate the party guys.”

Alexis had set everything down with the help of her son, chewed on her lower lip as she walked toward him. Yanking her fifteen year old son behind her she let him go, looked at will for approval to tell him. “ Lucian can we talk? “ She asked as Tyler stayed close to her his hands stuffed in his pockets as he kicked at a few rocks, listened to his music. It was going to be difficult to explain but she had told will not to tell him as she’d wanted to tell him, her letters had been burned before she could even send them. Her husband had told her that if he’d loved her he wouldn’t have left her behind, she hated him for that to this very day. Telling a soldier your expecting their child is absolute doom, she knew the military was his only way to get away from town for awhile otherwise he would have been stuck like she was. Her college dreams had been shattered when she got pregnant, her son was by no means a mistake but she was just a lowly housewife to the bank managers son, it had been to save his fathers farm.

Lucian nodded and grabbed a box of ammo and two of the magazines “Sure Lexi.” He kept his distance he knew small town rumor. It was the same as military rumor. You walk out of the bar with a girl and you were all of a sudden moving in. “What’s up You look like you have something on your mind.” He slid each round in and watched her. He felt that old pull. He didn’t dare tell her the reason he left. He hoped to take that little tid bit to his grave. He pocketed the first magazine and heard William fire one of his pistols. It made him wince at the unexpected scream of someone getting little tipsy.

“ Lucian this is Tyler, well he’s .... he’s your son. I wanted to tell you before you left but you wanted out of here so bad.” Lexi as she looked at him, she never lied s day in her life except the fact that she’d told him she’d understood him breaking up with her. Her husband had never been able to pick of the pieces, when her son was a baby she held him close to her heart hoping he’d return sooner. But that day had never come, now their son was an awkward fifteen year old who thought Jonah Strawbridge was his father. Tyler waved, walked away walked up to his uncle will in so many words asking for the gun, waited for it to be handed to him. Hoping he didn’t have to comfort his mother, explain to her why coming was a bad idea.

HE watched the boy and then dropped the magazine he had been loading. “Wait…what.” The southern drawl dripped back in as he watched her hoping it was a cruel prank. “No Will would have mentioned…what?” Picking up the mag he watched will hand the boy the 9mm and help him aim probably explaining sight alignment. He shook his head and fell into a chair holding his head. “why wouldn’t you tell me before now.”

“ Because Jonah wouldn’t let me. He burned the letters, told me that if you loved me you wouldn’t have left. I told will to keep it from you, I’m so sorry.” Alexis looked toward her son with his uncle, sighed. Tyler shot the gun perfectly, he’d actually shot a few times with his uncle without his mother’s knowledge. Unloading the gun he handed it back to his uncle, walked toward the food to fix himself a plate his music still playing in one ear as he listened to his mother talk to the man that as far as he concerned had just donated his sperm then left, his father the man that had raised him had told him that.

HE clenched fist at the name and knew who was behind that. “I left because…forget it was fifteen years ago.” He looked up at her and saw she was not lying. There was the pull again he felt it he wanted to hold her and tell her why but there in the compartment where reason held sway, he let it stay. “What do you want me to do?” Will was heading his way but he held up a hand pointed to the food. “I still had the right to know I would have…I don’t know what I would have done.”

“ You would have been stuck! My intentions weren’t to trap you, will had told me to let you go. Your right it was fifteen years ago, I’m not happy. I married him to save your father’s farm, I’m sorry. “ Lexi started to walk away from him as she looked at the ground, all she wanted to do was feel his embrace again. She wanted to be there for him, tell him it was okay because she knew him. Her appetite had faded, she’d let her son eat then they would leave. If she went home with his scent on here there was no telling what Jonah would do, how he would react of course she didn’t want to test that.

He watched her and went up to will. He wanted to hit him so bad right now but decided to show him up. “You do what I ask?”

“Yeah 20 across the back field on the fence posts. But man, I walked it its over half a mile from here.”

“oh that sounds fine Will.” Lucian pulled the first magazine out and sat it to the side and picked up the bolt action rifle. In the case was a scope he ignored. He pulled his own out and said, “Months’ rent says I hit 19 and I can get novice to hit number 20.”

Will glared he knew it was good bet but wasn’t sure if he was getting suckered. Then again, a novice. “Fine I choose the novice.”

“Deal.” Sitting he sighted the rifle slightly it took him average three shots to get his rifle sighted in for competition. He gave himself six to make him happy. He plugged his ears and glared at his friend before firing the first round. High. He moved the dial and did the math quickly and dirty. Second shot went lower but not where he needed. Minor adjustment the third rang out and hit the tree where he wanted. He dropped the magazine and exhaled slowly as he honed in his shots. In good pacing 19 shots rang out a crowd was gathered now after each the tell-tale sound of glass breaking as beer bottles exploded in mist of whatever will had filled them with. “That is 19 choose your shooter.”

“Hey Tyler come see if you can hit the last one.”

“ Alright! “ Tyler threw away his empty plate, walked over to where they were shooting. He picked up the gun sighted it in on the last bottle then pulled the trigger tilting his head to the side he watched the round spin then shatter the bottle, set it back down. “ I think mom, I are gonna leave you know how my dad can be if we’re out to long. Shes letting me drive home, whatever potato salad and cobbler is left is for you, aunt Nicole. “ The kid said as he gave his uncle a hug caught his mother’s keys in mid air, climbed into her truck as she climbed into the passenger side. He backed up perfectly, drove off.

“Game. set. match.” He watched the kid and Alexis leave.

Will pinched the bridge of his nose. “Kids a natural.”

“Like his old man, and his grandfather.” the party was still in full swing and everyone clapped at the display By the end of the night his back hurt from all the claps on it and thanks for your service. His head hurt he needed a minute alone. When people were distracted he walked into the shadows to the empty land next to wills. While the bank still held the paper that was going to change in a weeks time. He walked along the overgrown path where he once rode his horse. Between the farms Wills family had raised hogs long since sold to the land baron himself. Lucians family raised horses. Every kid in school wanted one.

He walked past his house dark and spooky in the dim light of the moon. Burnt to the ground from a lightning strike a few years back.Will had saved what he could but Lucian knew he had to get into the basement for a few things. He moved past the wreck of the house to some overgrown trees where two headstones sat in the clearing. HE cleaned around the first revealing the name Sarah Ravencroft Light of her husband's life and Mother to Lucian. Next to it his father William RavenCroft Father to Lucian Missed by many.

Sitting Lucian leaned against the headstone and just fell asleep.

Alexis had grown up next door, her old house was one of the properties her husband had bought. But she’d been told they could keep the house as long as the barns came down, as soon as she heard noise outside she ran out in her nightgown, hugged him. Her son well their son had gone to bed, her husband was in his home office taking care of the last of the paperwork. One thing Lexi knew was that if Jonah laid a hand on her lucian would kill him, so epuld will do she was taking a huge risk by hugging him. She pulled away, looked at the dirt beneath her bare feet.

“ He was a good man, loved his grandson. Taught Tyler how to shoot when he was five, he’s been getting better ever since. Wish you could have seen the look on your dads face when he held his grandson for the first time. He had your last name, his grandfather’s first name as his middle name. Tyler William Ravencroft. I knew it was the least I could do to honor you after thinking I’d never see you again.”

He hugged her back then pulled away. “I bet that went over well with your dad.” He missed the funeral due to being in the damn mountains looking for a cave system. “I saw he hit the bottle first shot.” He looked at the burnt down house. “They loved that house. Mom used to read to me in her sunroom. I returned the favor when the cemo left her weak.” He didn’t cry but just watched her. “What are we going to do?”

“ I don’t know. But I don’t love him, I never will. My dad’s an asshole, I rather not talk about it. Jonah promised to keep the house as long as I married him pregnant or not, I refused to give our son his last name. He’s a Ravencroft, it shows. His attitude just like you were at fifteen, my dad hated that I hung around you, will but I didn’t care you were my friends. We were the three musketeers, you guys never made me feel like a third wheel. I was one of the guys.” Lexi smiled placing a strand of hair behind her ear as she looked at the ruble of his old house, she remembered when his mom got sick because her mom had cooked several meals for them even after her passing

“I think tomorrow im going to get something from the basement. My bank is filing to get everything transferred just dealing with taxes at the moment.” HE watched her and then stood. “I..i’m sorry i left i should have found another way to deal with the issues I had. Running was not the plan but it made things better. YOu have a wonderful family and i won't interfere. I have donr enough already.”

“ Are you serious? I’ve been on the pill since our son was born, Jonah is probably going to get mad. I’d like to have another child before I’m to old to bare them, he kisses me but that’s it. We don’t even sleep in the same bed, your telling me I have a wonderful family? “ Lexi rolled her eyes, pushed up the sleeve of her nightgown. Her wrist was bruised from her husband, it had only been a few days ago. All she’d done was go into town to talk to will, her husband had gotten very jealous despite never touching her sexually.

He didn’t look at her instead he turned back to his burned-out wreck of a house. “I can’t be the hero Lexi. I damn near break out in panic attacks since I’ve been back stateside. I told will I didn’t want to bring the guns on the bus due to paperwork. Truth is I just thought I could disappear here. Hell, I thought you would have moved by now.” He sat on the chunk of stone that was his fathers resting place. “Jesus what do you want to do?”

~*~​

From the house what was once been the Morrow farmstead Jonah Strawbridge smiled as he watched his wife’s latest infidelity. Lucian had been a pain in the ass when he was a just a semi decent rode rider for the high school, they both attended. Now he was back but Jonah was the owner of the land in this town there was nothing that he could not get if he wanted it. Right Now, he wanted them both to suffer. He pulled out his cell and dialed a number. “It’s me I need you to see if you can pull a military file on A man just walked back into town. Lucian Ravencroft. Yes, no idea, just see if there is something I can use.” He hung up and pulled out a cigar and clipped the end off. Lighting it he waited to administer his wife’s punishment.

Back
Top Bottom